Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1249464 times)

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #3850 on: July 17, 2020, 09:23:44 AM »
I'm helping my mother empty her house. She spent 50 years shopping.  Right now my puzzle is what to do with her furs.  She has four coats (mink, silver fox, etc.) that were hardly worn, but I hear that they dry out over time if not stored in a special way.

I've heard of animal rehab places that use furs to help with orphaned baby animals.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3851 on: July 17, 2020, 09:52:39 AM »
I found an old 8 by 3 foot mattress, only 2 inches thick, moved it out of the closet I was decluttering, into the living room so I would keep seeing it every day, as I was sure I'd think of a use for it now or in future. Well, after 2 weeks of not coming up with anything, I finally felt OK with taking it to Salvation Army. Gone.

Slackmax, I encourage you to talk to someone about this. Because that sounds awfully like how a hoarder thinks. I know your girlfriend was a hoarder, but I've been reading your posts for some time and I'm worried that you're struggling with the same problems.
Nah, a hoarder wouldn't have got rid of it after only two weeks.  And things are leaving the house at a regular rate, either by sale or donation., entirely of the poster's own volition, and space is being created, and appreciated, in their house.  I think they are doing fine.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3852 on: July 17, 2020, 09:57:16 AM »
-Saved old motorcycle jacket from the landfill. Someone stopped by & bought it yesterday
-Sold two clothing items & a book on eBay
-Listing at least one item/day for sale

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #3853 on: July 17, 2020, 10:49:00 AM »
More old pots went into the bin. 

I am also using up a lot of seeds.  I have been regularly doing succession planting of herbs and greens and have had very poor germination rates of a lot of the seed so I just keep planting it heavily and getting it out of the seed box. 

I was rooting around in the basement and found a whole area that is going to need some attention when I have time.  Right now I am so focussed on gardening and trying to clear out the freezer, cold cellar and pantry because this season's harvest is coming along.  I am also calibrating how much I put away.  Tomato sauce is just about all used up but some canning will last until next year. 

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3854 on: July 17, 2020, 11:06:33 AM »
I found an old 8 by 3 foot mattress, only 2 inches thick, moved it out of the closet I was decluttering, into the living room so I would keep seeing it every day, as I was sure I'd think of a use for it now or in future. Well, after 2 weeks of not coming up with anything, I finally felt OK with taking it to Salvation Army. Gone.

Slackmax, I encourage you to talk to someone about this. Because that sounds awfully like how a hoarder thinks. I know your girlfriend was a hoarder, but I've been reading your posts for some time and I'm worried that you're struggling with the same problems.
Nah, a hoarder wouldn't have got rid of it after only two weeks.  And things are leaving the house at a regular rate, either by sale or donation., entirely of the poster's own volition, and space is being created, and appreciated, in their house.  I think they are doing fine.

Oh agreed! But there's a spectrum, and if slackmax is feeling discomfort at times, that is something that they could get some assistance with. If someone was suffering and a bit of gentle encouragement would help, I'd feel badly if I didn't try to provide it.

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3855 on: July 17, 2020, 11:12:39 AM »
We put some random leftover building stuff (bricks, fencing, rebar, tiles, bamboo flooring) on the local buy nothing group and people snapped it up for really cool projects (building a treehouse was one!)

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3856 on: July 17, 2020, 01:58:36 PM »

Oh agreed! But there's a spectrum, and if slackmax is feeling discomfort at times, that is something that they could get some assistance with. If someone was suffering and a bit of gentle encouragement would help, I'd feel badly if I didn't try to provide it.

+1, I've expressed concern about Slackmax's need to maximize "value" when the stuff is taking over so much control of slackmax's life. 

Slackmax, if it makes you feel better re the decision to give away the mattress, in my state, resale of mattresses is prohibited (to the extent that if you return a new mattress during the return period, you still pay a hefty fee because they can't resell it). 

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3857 on: July 17, 2020, 03:09:33 PM »
I'm helping my mother empty her house. She spent 50 years shopping.  Right now my puzzle is what to do with her furs.  She has four coats (mink, silver fox, etc.) that were hardly worn, but I hear that they dry out over time if not stored in a special way.

I've heard of animal rehab places that use furs to help with orphaned baby animals.
What a lovely use for old furs!

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3858 on: July 17, 2020, 04:33:19 PM »
This morning I sorted out some of my bedroom miscellania. I need to rearrange some furniture next.

This afternoon I donated a smallish handful of miscellaneous housewares to my second-favorite thrift store today.  I also threw a bag of recyclable trash into my condo building’s recycling bins.  I’m not confident it gets recycled wherever it goes next, but I did my part I guess. 

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3859 on: July 19, 2020, 01:55:17 PM »
Had a pretty good day yesterday selling stuff at the flea market.  Got rid of some bulky items. 

Donated 4 big wicker baskets to salvation army, since they didn't sell at the flea market. Nobody wants wicker!

The removing of the wicker has opened a nice 8 cubic foot area in the living room.

While rooting through the living room (lots of clutter) I came across a bunch of neat record albums I had been  ignoring due to 'clutter blindness' and now I have a bunch of new music to listen to on my stereo.   

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #3860 on: July 19, 2020, 01:55:43 PM »
Finally got to the point to discard my old sewing patterns. There were baby clothes patterns in there for my niece, who will turn 18 in 3 months........ so glad I finally got rid of these!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 02:44:39 AM by Dutch Comfort »

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3861 on: July 19, 2020, 02:30:50 PM »
Finally someone came through from my Facebook Buy Nothing Group and took away a mirror I had hanging in my bathroom.  It was too cheaply made and too fanciful for my taste and I replaced it with a round mirror from Amazon that looks so much better over the bathroom sink.  There is a lesson here:  cheap stuff often works poorly. 

I am also returning 2 boxes to Amazon today.  They contain shite I cannot assemble with my current level of patience.   

The goal for this week will be to use up more random stuff.  Toiletries and supplements are a weakness for me.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3862 on: July 19, 2020, 03:25:21 PM »

What a lovely use for old furs!

Thank you-- I will look into this!  Found this link.
https://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/092415/how-get-most-money-your-fur-coat.asp

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3863 on: July 19, 2020, 05:17:59 PM »
I am making a little bit of progress on some home improvement projects. Not quite decluttering but it will make our space so much nicer.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3864 on: July 19, 2020, 05:35:33 PM »
Dropped off a small bag of items to the local Goodwill, including a sheet with corner pockets that were not deep enough for my mattress and mattress pad. 
Browsed briefly and bought a slender crystal vase for $1.49 on sale.  So, one item in but 4 items donated.

(and good news:  Goodwill requires all staff and customers to wear a mask and observe the 6' distance, and while I was there everyone did so.)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3865 on: July 19, 2020, 06:53:31 PM »
I sold a bridle today.  30 minutes after listing it on FB it was sold, so maybe I should have priced it higher, but meh, I got a good price and didn't have to spend a bunch of time dealing with people.  That lit a fire under me to clean up all my other extra horse stuff and post a long list of sale items in a couple places.  Three other small items are sale pending now.  If I can sell half of it, that will cut way down on my clutter and cover the cost of the new riding boots I'm planning to purchase.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #3866 on: July 19, 2020, 07:20:15 PM »
Husband and son cleaned out one of the sheds to make room for their home gym. So 2 big wooden bins will be cut down for firewood, and a heap of random junk went to the tip (stuff that no one could reuse or repurpose, I *hate* chucking stuff into landfill, sigh). Soooo happy about this as I have been wanting a clear out for years. And bonus: they trash-picked a glass light attachment for our oven which would have cost more to buy than the $15 cost of the tip! Just wish the tip had a shop attached where the useable stuff could be resold, like in some other regions.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3867 on: July 19, 2020, 07:42:44 PM »
Sold an antique window on FB Marketplace for $10. The lady is supposed to come pick it up on Wednesday. I have another one, so hopefully I can find a home for it too. Some of this stuff I would just give away, but I find charging a few dollars cuts down on the no-shows.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3868 on: July 19, 2020, 07:49:07 PM »
@Prairie Gal - same thing. If you are giving something away for free, for whatever reason, I get a ton of no shows & 20 people interested, no one coming buy. When buying, I suppose people feel like it's a more valuable item?

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3869 on: July 19, 2020, 08:36:08 PM »
@Prairie Gal - same thing. If you are giving something away for free, for whatever reason, I get a ton of no shows & 20 people interested, no one coming buy. When buying, I suppose people feel like it's a more valuable item?

That, and I usually ask them to send me an e transfer so I can just leave it on the doorstep.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3870 on: July 20, 2020, 05:52:34 PM »
Sold some kitchenware on FB marketplace. I was given the kitchen stuff, but I realized shortly after accepting that I didn't need it, as what I already had worked just fine. Sold it for cash that I ended up needing for some dental work.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3871 on: July 20, 2020, 06:11:34 PM »
That's great, @okcisok

When we are back in our kitchen, I'll be much more thoughtful of what I put into the cupboard. I found a few things to sell & donate, but have a feeling that living without the majority of our stuff for a month+ will also remind us of other things we don't need & use.

For me today, I've cleaned up kids soccer cleats (x4 pair) that weren't used much, due to COVID. Teen boys have rapidly growing feet, so they no longer fit. A COVID friendly soccer practice is supposed to start in a few weeks, so I've ordered new cleats & will sell the old ones. I also found a couple to donate.

I need to organize my "selling" closet, where I keep all of my mailing supplies, random boxes, & envelopes. It's exploded a bit.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3872 on: July 21, 2020, 11:36:19 AM »
2 bags full of decorative cushions, odds and ends and an old monitor off to Goodwill this morning.   

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3873 on: July 22, 2020, 05:27:42 AM »
The council cleanup is supposed to come tomorrow. I put a big pile of stuff out on the weekend, and as, usual, some of it got collected by passersby. So I was able to add more 2 days in a row ( there's a limit on the volume that can be put out). Some of the stuff is my mothers, some of the stuff is left by the previous owner, and some of the stuff is mine. I'm looking forward to seeing the back of it. 

I haven't packed it all up yet, but I have items for the next car-load of donate already in mind. A box of misc, some of mother's china, and several boxes of books.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #3874 on: July 22, 2020, 06:39:06 PM »
Finally able to clean up my entryway a bit. Library returns are now possible, so that got done today (4 books). Two other items were returned to the car. Not a big declutter; just what I could squeeze into a small amount of spare time today. The entryway looks better even though there are still items out of place there.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3875 on: July 22, 2020, 09:00:17 PM »
I am diligently working at decluttering these chocolate chip oatmeal cookies I have piled up in the kitchen right now.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3876 on: July 22, 2020, 09:10:10 PM »
I am diligently working at decluttering these chocolate chip oatmeal cookies I have piled up in the kitchen right now.
Keep on soldiering on, I believe in you. 🤣

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3877 on: July 23, 2020, 08:33:26 AM »
I started canning this season's harvest and have been de-cluttering the supplies at the same time.  Any jar ring that is just too rusty to tighten on lickety split goes in the recycling.  I used to leave the rings on the jars until I opened them.  However, they rusted in the cold cellar and became next to impossible to use.  Now I just use them to get them processed so I don't need one for every single jar I fill - just for the batch of whatever I am making at the time.  And canning takes long enough without having to wrestle a ring onto a very hot jar and make sure the snap lid is perfectly in place.  It is just a small thing...but it makes life a little easier.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3878 on: July 23, 2020, 09:17:37 AM »
I started canning this season's harvest and have been de-cluttering the supplies at the same time.  Any jar ring that is just too rusty to tighten on lickety split goes in the recycling.  I used to leave the rings on the jars until I opened them.  However, they rusted in the cold cellar and became next to impossible to use.  Now I just use them to get them processed so I don't need one for every single jar I fill - just for the batch of whatever I am making at the time.  And canning takes long enough without having to wrestle a ring onto a very hot jar and make sure the snap lid is perfectly in place.  It is just a small thing...but it makes life a little easier.

+1

Now that I store the jars without the ring on, I only need enough rings for a single batch, or two batches at most.  I can't fit more than 8-9 jars in my canner at a time anyway, fewer for wide mouth.  No reason to keep rings with even a spot of rust.  Each time I can, I check the rings and toss any blemished ones in the recycling.

Made a beautiful batch of peach butter yesterday :)

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3879 on: July 23, 2020, 10:07:54 AM »

+1

Now that I store the jars without the ring on, I only need enough rings for a single batch, or two batches at most.  I can't fit more than 8-9 jars in my canner at a time anyway, fewer for wide mouth.  No reason to keep rings with even a spot of rust.  Each time I can, I check the rings and toss any blemished ones in the recycling.

Made a beautiful batch of peach butter yesterday :)

When I do tomato sauce, I go big and may do six full loads, so I like to have enough for at least four loads so I am not touching them until they are super cooled down.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3880 on: July 23, 2020, 01:47:22 PM »
Made room on the office back counter today!  A friend finally picked up the 5 pairs of sunglasses she said she wanted on a social media post at least a month ago, and I packaged up for mailing purposes a graduation gift I bought for a friend's daughter.  It will go out this evening.  I should mention the gift includes a picture frame collage of a few pictures of her over the years, as well as her graduation announcement.  Recycle, reuse, repurposed things I either would have tossed immediately, or saved in the past, only to end up tossing decades later.

Last Saturday at the house, I "decluttered" about a billion dust mites via vacuum and dust rag.  ;)  And, only I could get excited about the new Swiffer delivered yesterday, LOL.  Going to buy new vacuum bags from a mom and pop store to try to keep it as local as possible.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3881 on: July 24, 2020, 10:33:45 AM »
More suggestions needed: what to do with outdated designer clothing? My mother has a number of coats, blazers, etc. with massive shoulder pads. Including a suede coat from Italy... They are in great shape, I just hate the style, which I feel is over the top.  Just donate to thrift shop and let them sort out if somebody wants it?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3882 on: July 24, 2020, 12:07:11 PM »
More suggestions needed: what to do with outdated designer clothing? My mother has a number of coats, blazers, etc. with massive shoulder pads. Including a suede coat from Italy... They are in great shape, I just hate the style, which I feel is over the top.  Just donate to thrift shop and let them sort out if somebody wants it?

Maybe something like ThredUp might take them?

MissPeach

• Bristles
« Reply #3883 on: July 24, 2020, 12:11:13 PM »

Here we got a tax on single use plastic grocery bags so that you now have to pay about 60 cents per bag, prEvioulsy it was about half of that. I read that the sales of plastic bags had dropped with 50 % in two months.
[/quote]
In normal times plastic bags are banned and reusable bags can be purchased if you forgot to bring your own. Early in the covid crisis though most grocery stores banned you from bringing in your own bags, so the stores I shop at (mostly TJ’s) give you paper bags for free. I did one non-TJ’s run and got a bunch of plastic bags. It felt very retro.
[/quote]

Same thing here. But Covid numbers are up and they rolled back the things that have opened.

The frustrating part is they went back to charging for bags but you aren't allowed to bring them. So I have to have them scan them, put them back in the cart, and then bag it myself from the cart to avoid the fee.

If the state doesn't want us to use reusable bags and initially suspended the charge, I think they should have extended this period when they rolled back the reopening.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3884 on: July 24, 2020, 03:37:51 PM »

Maybe something like ThredUp might take them?
I’m pretty sure ThredUP only wants current stuff, as in the past five years or otherwise timeless styles.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3885 on: July 24, 2020, 05:02:56 PM »

They may be able to be remade into a different style if the quality is worth the effort and expense.  If you don’t want them for yourself, then donate them to a thrift store.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3886 on: July 24, 2020, 05:45:44 PM »
Have them remade or try a vintage consignment shop.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3887 on: July 24, 2020, 07:27:25 PM »

They may be able to be remade into a different style if the quality is worth the effort and expense.  If you don’t want them for yourself, then donate them to a thrift store.

Have them remade or try a vintage consignment shop.

Thank you for the suggestions! I'm afraid it's probably a thrift store then.  I haven't the room to save them till I get them remade, nor the time to get it done.  The idea of a vintage consignment shop is intriguing... I suppose I could send a few photos to local shops to see if there is interest.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3888 on: July 25, 2020, 01:20:37 AM »
Finished up with some medications and medical aids from a recent surgery. Promptly put the empty containers in the recycling bin and tossed the non-recyclables. No hanging onto them just in case.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3889 on: July 25, 2020, 01:41:15 AM »
Two of our many many hot sauce bottles used up! We will get through them ALL.

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #3890 on: July 25, 2020, 04:13:40 AM »
Continuing the "packing for moving-declutter".
Several give-away items up on local Facebook-group now: toys & puzzles that the kids were both really clear the do not want any longer, a largish piece of furniture. In total 8 items, and I have already requests for four of them (including the large furnirture).

I have had some really busy days with other things, so not much done, but I did manage to give away several items, including all pieces of furntiture that needed to go before the open house, which will most likely be in two weeks.
We have also hauled some more items to the storage we are renting about 10 min drive from where we live.

This weekend needs to see some real progress on what's left. We need to remove a lot of things from storage in the house, so it looks neater, and we need to decrease our things in kitchen cupboards etc, so it looks as nice as possible when people come to the open house. I fully expect people to open every single cupboard in kitchen and bathroom, as well as wardrobes and drawers, built-in or not. I have told exDH that he needs to be aware that he can have no private or valuable stuff around the house during the viewings.

At the moment I am really procrastrinating, but I will start in about 15 minutes - promise!.

comicguy

• Stubble
« Reply #3891 on: July 25, 2020, 06:52:32 AM »
My decluttering efforts are going to take a big hit this upcomming week. We have been ordered to move all of our personal items out of our classroom to make way for 6ft social distance for students. Our classroooms have no built in storage so we have rolling cabinets and assorted bookshelfs. I teach a variety of subjects for both reg ed and spec ed so you can imagine what I have built up over the last 12 years in that classroom. The only things staying is teacher desk/chair, student desk/chair and computers. (if it does not fit in my teacher desk then it has to be put into storage or brought home. The school is leasing off site storage so if there is something we want out of our cabinets then we e-mail maintance 2 weeks ahead of time and "they will try and find the item needed" Like that is going to work well for 100 teachers! Anyway will bring home all items that I have puchased or sourced and sort them out, good excuse to cull some items that I no longer use or need.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3892 on: July 25, 2020, 03:34:13 PM »
Have a shirt, six comics, a collapsible vase, and a few other sundries added to the donate pile.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3893 on: July 25, 2020, 04:50:36 PM »
We donated a van full of stuff today.  Good to get some things out of here!

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3894 on: July 25, 2020, 06:02:02 PM »
toy box and push mower were picked up at the end of our driveway by neighbours today.   Those are big items I'm glad we won't have to move.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3895 on: July 26, 2020, 01:42:52 AM »
Its raining, quite a lot. So I finally made myself declutter a bit of paper stuff. Not huge progress but usually once I've started I can keep at it for a few days.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3896 on: July 26, 2020, 06:24:41 AM »
I have 2 bags of random household miscellany in my car trunk to go to the thrift store Monday.  I have some big wood furniture listed on Craigslist and Marketplace at the moment that I am hoping someone will take away in the next week.  I am going to attempt to unscrew some broken, malfunctioning shite apart today and take it down to the trash bin.  In pandemic times my building has had a big trash bin for residents decluttering :)  My HOA fees at work for good.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3897 on: July 29, 2020, 04:49:19 PM »
We emptied the contents of the cupboards in the dining room so that DH could install the bench top that he made for it.  I am being very careful at what gets put back into the cupboards.  I now only the cookbooks I like looking through and the 'candles' cupboard - OMG that is so boogie a fricking cupboard of candles and candle holders and poofers?  Not ready to tackle all of that.  I like having candles.  We got married in the era of candle holders for wedding presents.  I have completely stopped buying candles as I know I have enough for the rest of my life.  But it all now fits in one smallish cupboard with all the matches and accessories so when the kids ask Where is the candles? - I can say in the candle cupboard.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3898 on: July 29, 2020, 05:10:06 PM »
Some super frugal friends of our (two brothers who literally buy all their socks on Black Friday, and all of their camping gear is SO beat up.  I love it) are taking all of our old baby stuff!  One of them has a new baby girl who is a few months old, and the other's wife is due in Dec.

My baby girl is 16 months now, and I have SO MUCH stuff for little babies - bottles, portable pump, bumbo, boppy, nursing clothes, cloth diapers (can't use them because she immediately gets a rash, sad day) - and they want ALL OF IT!!!!!!!  Woo!

So after Saturday it isn't all going to be sitting in my house waiting for me to list it on Craigslist/FB/buy nothing or bring it piecemeal to the baby consignment store.  Yes, maybe I won't get my money back, but I'll help some friends that I know and like, and pass on some stuff, some of which I got for free from other awesome people.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3899 on: July 29, 2020, 05:13:47 PM »
What a win, @chaskavitch !

I went through my closet again, now that I'm 4+ months into COVID, and know I'll be working from home for the foreseeable future. Found 9 items of clothing to list on eBay, plus a workout DVD.

I sold a nightgown I bought in Paris in 1999. No idea what brand it is, but listed it in the photos & made my money back from the original purchase. Crazy. Plus, it's now out of my house, as I *ahem* look different than I did 20+ years ago. But that Paris trip... memories!