Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1249264 times)

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #2750 on: July 29, 2019, 06:46:49 AM »
“The strategic value of clear space”

Brilliant

I'm taking carload after carload of stuff  from my basement to the recycling place and to Goodwill. Slowly but surely getting more 'strategic clear space' ! 

But... just found a big box full of brand new but ancient IT software on CD's with user manuals (COBOL and mainframe programming testing tools) and I think I'll have to just shove it into a corner. Can't bear to throw it out, and I'm sure no one wants it, even for free. lol...         

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2751 on: July 29, 2019, 07:37:28 AM »

Brilliant

I'm taking carload after carload of stuff  from my basement to the recycling place and to Goodwill. Slowly but surely getting more 'strategic clear space' ! 

But... just found a big box full of brand new but ancient IT software on CD's with user manuals (COBOL and mainframe programming testing tools) and I think I'll have to just shove it into a corner. Can't bear to throw it out, and I'm sure no one wants it, even for free. lol...       

Why? Just because it was never used, why would you keep it? That's a slippery slope.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #2752 on: July 29, 2019, 08:33:31 AM »

Brilliant

Why? Just because it was never used, why would you keep it? That's a slippery slope.

Try eBay!  They might sell either as collectibles (like this) or to some organization that is actually still using those things for legacy compatibility issues (maybe like this? 9 of 10 have already sold).

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #2753 on: July 29, 2019, 09:17:02 AM »
Please don't put it in the corner!
If you're sure nobody wants it get rid of it; it will only drag you down.

CrustyBadger

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2754 on: July 29, 2019, 09:51:29 AM »

I get it!  Sometimes things need to age a while longer before I am ready to part with them!   LOL

Just kidding, yeah, get rid of it.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2755 on: July 30, 2019, 06:41:11 AM »

Brilliant

Try eBay!  They might sell either as collectibles (like this) or to some organization that is actually still using those things for legacy compatibility issues (maybe like this? 9 of 10 have already sold).

OK, now you've done it!  I am going to save it.  I have sooooo much stuff to deal with, sometimes I find out later that I donated an
expensive item, or sold something at the rummage sale for way too little. Argghh.
Anyway, yesterday I found 10 huge old binders of original IBM computer manuals like IBM mainframe 360 systems commands, OS stuff, error codes, cobol abends, and on and on and on...
I have already checked out selling them and found some iffy results on eBay. Hard to tell if there was a market
for these old manuals. I'm so sick of figuring out if something will sell, and I realized I wished I had never found the darn things
in the first place, so I clicked open all the binders, dumped all the pages into a big box, about 20 pounds worth, and took them all
down to the recycling center. Now someone will tell me I could have sold them for good money on the internet! lol...

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2756 on: July 30, 2019, 07:14:16 AM »
Donated a suitcase of stuff to a place that collects household goods for new expats.

...but then I picked up two suitcases of stuff that I wanted including cushions and Tupperware. Sigh.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2757 on: July 30, 2019, 07:26:50 AM »
Donated a suitcase of stuff to a place that collects household goods for new expats.

...but then I picked up two suitcases of stuff that I wanted including cushions and Tupperware. Sigh.

At least you only have two suitcases of stuff instead of three? 

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2758 on: July 30, 2019, 10:43:28 AM »

Brilliant

OK, now you've done it!  I am going to save it.  I have sooooo much stuff to deal with, sometimes I find out later that I donated an
expensive item, or sold something at the rummage sale for way too little. Argghh.
Anyway, yesterday I found 10 huge old binders of original IBM computer manuals like IBM mainframe 360 systems commands, OS stuff, error codes, cobol abends, and on and on and on...
I have already checked out selling them and found some iffy results on eBay. Hard to tell if there was a market
for these old manuals. I'm so sick of figuring out if something will sell, and I realized I wished I had never found the darn things
in the first place, so I clicked open all the binders, dumped all the pages into a big box, about 20 pounds worth, and took them all
down to the recycling center. Now someone will tell me I could have sold them for good money on the internet! lol...

At a certain point it's just more valuable to have the space clear than to try to nickel and dime a small profit.  If selling it is easy, do it.  If not, then just trash it and don't feel bad about leaving (imaginary) money on the table.  The clear space is worth FAR MORE than most $$ you could get for it. 

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2759 on: July 30, 2019, 10:54:26 AM »

At a certain point it's just more valuable to have the space clear than to try to nickel and dime a small profit.  If selling it is easy, do it.  If not, then just trash it and don't feel bad about leaving (imaginary) money on the table.  The clear space is worth FAR MORE than most $$ you could get for it.

It's not just the space that is more valuable, it's also your time and emotional resources.  Please care for yourself more than you do all this shitstuff.

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2760 on: July 30, 2019, 11:15:27 AM »

It's not just the space that is more valuable, it's also your time and emotional resources.  Please care for yourself more than you do all this shitstuff.

Ah ha.  Yes.  I have a few things that I should sell on craigslist/ebay, but I haven't gotten around to it.  Never actually sold anything before.  And I see all the stuff for sale and feel stupid for just tossing stuff.  But yes, getting rid of stuff is valuable too.  How much would I pay NOT to have these things?  Not having things weighing me down is a valuable thing too--certainly as valuable as the few bucks I might earn by selling.  Thank you.  Will be tossing/donating stuff this weekend.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2761 on: July 30, 2019, 11:19:49 AM »

Ah ha.  Yes.  I have a few things that I should sell on craigslist/ebay, but I haven't gotten around to it.  Never actually sold anything before.  And I see all the stuff for sale and feel stupid for just tossing stuff.  But yes, getting rid of stuff is valuable too.  How much would I pay NOT to have these things?  Not having things weighing me down is a valuable thing too--certainly as valuable as the few bucks I might earn by selling.  Thank you.  Will be tossing/donating stuff this weekend.

It's especially dangerous if you have a frugal nature and don't want to "waste" anything.  So you try to get some value back from the junk by taking the time/effort to sell it.  But then the selling process itself becomes overwhelming or a barrier to just getting rid of it, and the net result is that you never fully get rid of all the crap. 

Now, some things are OBVIOUSLY valuable, like anything gold/silver, etc... but that's an exception.  For the vast majority of stuff, it's just not worth the time/effort to sell it.  Donate or trash it!

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #2762 on: July 30, 2019, 11:32:16 AM »
It's especially dangerous if you have a frugal nature and don't want to "waste" anything.  So you try to get some value back from the junk by taking the time/effort to sell it.  But then the selling process itself becomes overwhelming or a barrier to just getting rid of it, and the net result is that you never fully get rid of all the crap. 

Wow, this is...yes.

This idea and the concept of free space discussed above have been life-changing for me. I had to start seeing the open space as inherently valuable. Is it really a waste to donate something when you get your home back in return?

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2763 on: July 30, 2019, 12:40:50 PM »
I instinctively began what I later learned is the Swedish Art of Death Cleaning late last year.  I then read the average age to begin such is 50.  So, there ya' go.  ;)

My point is, I agree with the posts above.  Life is so much calmer with less belongings and clutter.  Speaking of:

Donated 2 bags full of gently used sheets and towels, along with a bar stool cushion, to the animal shelter.  While there, I also decluttered a bit of my business account with a cash donation.

Waiting for a local teacher to come pick up two boxes full of DH's old, unused tools.  The teacher is teaching a STEAM (Science, Tech, Engineering, ART, and Math) class this year and put a shout out on social media.

Will recycle egg cartons to a chicken owning friend later this week.

Tossed a old sugar bowl with a cracked lid and am now using a Mason jar from our pantry.

Last month (?) I gave 3, used only once, flower vases to a floral shop owning friend.  Who needs 5 vases??

Thanks to posts earlier in this thread, I'm looking into replacements dot com  hoping to sell a few things.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2764 on: July 30, 2019, 06:07:29 PM »

Now, some things are OBVIOUSLY valuable, like anything gold/silver, etc... but that's an exception.  For the vast majority of stuff, it's just not worth the time/effort to sell it.  Donate or trash it!

Thanks, everyone, for the kind and perceptive responses. You guys have me figured out completely! This thread keeps my morale up.     

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #2765 on: July 31, 2019, 05:28:44 AM »
May I please join in? I am on page 17 of the thread and loving all of your posts!
I am a long-term declutterer, having started around 13 years ago when I realised that in order to have time to read all the books, I needed to be very organised and not have a lot of stuff to clean/maintain.

It amazes me how I *still* have stuff to get rid of as I am very mindful of what comes into the house, but life happens, and there are always new stages we go through as a family (daughter moved out this year, son wants his room reorganised and painted, our THREE sheds needed clearing out...)

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2766 on: July 31, 2019, 06:05:46 AM »
May I please join in? I am on page 17 of the thread and loving all of your posts!
I am a long-term declutterer, having started around 13 years ago when I realised that in order to have time to read all the books, I needed to be very organised and not have a lot of stuff to clean/maintain.

It amazes me how I *still* have stuff to get rid of as I am very mindful of what comes into the house, but life happens, and there are always new stages we go through as a family (daughter moved out this year, son wants his room reorganised and painted, our THREE sheds needed clearing out...)

Welcome, lazycow (love your screen name).  Decluttering IS a long-term process, isn't it? I started decluttering two and a half years ago.  I took pictures of all of it before I started. It's in every room!

I am making progress, definitely, but it is slow. I always feel good when I toss more stuff at the recycling center, drop it off at the Salvation Army, throw it out, or, best of all, sell it at a rummage sale. 

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2767 on: July 31, 2019, 06:19:51 AM »
I really need to get back in the decluttering mindset - after we moved mid June, I switched over to 'putting away' rather than decluttering, but this approach doesn't seem to be working out well enough.  Things are starting to pile up, anything I can't find a good spot for is just getting jammed in out of the way.  I have a donation box started, but haven't put anything new in it for several weeks.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2768 on: July 31, 2019, 04:22:07 PM »
We are back from vacation and need to re-focus on getting rid of stuff and packing for our upcoming move at the end of August. We have accepted an offer and we are in escrow so this giant downsizing thing is really happening!

I am hoping to spend this week and weekend focusing on the garage, my 9 year old's closet, and finally finishing the upstairs hall closet and laundry room. I am still really excited about our dramatic downsizing, but it is SUCH a pain going through all the STUFF.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #2769 on: July 31, 2019, 11:31:54 PM »
Decluttering gone wrong:

I knit a lace shawl many moons ago, but in organizing my knitting paraphernalia, realized I didn't like wearing it.  So gave wrapped it up pretty & gave it to a friend.  She loved it so much, she got me a gift in return! There were two items in the gift bag she handed me, lol.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2770 on: August 01, 2019, 07:12:34 AM »
Some out but some still not out.

We had a couple really nice maple bar stools my mom gave us when she moved.  I saw no use for them in our house but the wife seemed to think that someday we could use them.  Well, 3 years later, they're still sitting in the basement under piles of junk.  I put them on craigslist for $15 and sold them to the first offer of $5.  Gone!

Recently a friend passed away and his wife is going through both his junk and things that could be worth something.  I live in an area with more people than cows, and craigslist all the time so agreed to put stuff up for sale.  Sold one very nice bass guitar and passed the money back to her.  Another guitar is really a junker and worth maybe $10.  She told my wife that if it's only worth $25, not to sell it.  That ain't the way to get rid of junk, but whatever.  It's going back to her.  They sell new for $79.  Also sold off a bar sign for $10 that I'm sure she thought was worth gold, but it's gone.  Still have one more bass guitar to sell off.  Also eyeing gifts we received for our wedding in 1986 that have never even been unwrapped.  Stuffed under piles of junk (I know where they are), they'll be coming out, getting photo'd and sold off on craigslist for give away prices.

This is going very, very slowly. 

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2771 on: August 01, 2019, 07:23:54 AM »
A side note:  I found an old tea pot in the basement hoard with a price tag on it for $375  !!  It is a "Hull Art" tea pot. Similar tea pots on eBay are going for $20 to $40 though. Hmmmmm. 

Well, I found a pottery discussion group online and apparently Hull Art prices collapsed completely back on or before 2015.   Oh, well, at least I know what price to ask.

In other news, I have someone coming to pick up, for free,  a 6 feet by 4 feet lattice I want to jettison. Got rid of it on Craigslist Free section.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2772 on: August 01, 2019, 09:09:13 AM »
In other news, I have someone coming to pick up, for free,  a 6 feet by 4 feet lattice I want to jettison. Got rid of it on Craigslist Free section.

I'll give you a hesitant congrats on the lattice give away.  I've found that the free section of craigslist brings me nothing but hassle.  People in Boston tend to think everyone is on the T or that they'll magically be able to get the thing I'm giving away, realize they need to transport it and then ask me to deliver it.  I've had much better luck putting $5 on things I want to give away.  People, for some reason will get in their own car and come get something for $5 where they figure something for free isn't worth the bother.  I do put things at the end of my driveway and people take them.  Gave away a picture last week that way.  Leaned it against the trash can on trash day and in an hour it was gone.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2773 on: August 01, 2019, 05:50:01 PM »

I'll give you a hesitant congrats on the lattice give away.  I've found that the free section of craigslist brings me nothing but hassle.  People in Boston tend to think everyone is on the T or that they'll magically be able to get the thing I'm giving away, realize they need to transport it and then ask me to deliver it.  I've had much better luck putting $5 on things I want to give away.  People, for some reason will get in their own car and come get something for $5 where they figure something for free isn't worth the bother.  I do put things at the end of my driveway and people take them.  Gave away a picture last week that way.  Leaned it against the trash can on trash day and in an hour it was gone.

Yeah, I got 7 responses to my "free" ad, and the first 2 have already flaked out. I'm on the third one now and he seems legit. We'll see. lol. 

I did get rid of a big section of fence a few years ago right away, no flakes.

Gail2000

• Stubble
« Reply #2774 on: August 01, 2019, 07:09:15 PM »
I started the minimalist game today of getting rid of a number of items corresponding to the day of the month. Say we are the first and so I get rid of one item and tow more items on the second day and so on. I got on a tear and threw some items away and filled a small box full of items. I need to keep it up this time. I got lulled into complacency after rationalizing that I had already gotten rid of more items the day before and end op stopping all together.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #2775 on: August 02, 2019, 05:03:25 AM »
I just checked our sheds, and my husband has already gotten rid of everything we'd put aside for decluttering last weekend! He and our son took apart our old kitchen cabinets (cheap materials, not worth selling) and took them to the tip, so no need to hire a skip.  There was also a scooter, kid's hockey set (not used in 5 years) and several bags of random stuff. His impetus was that he has a whole group of friends coming to visit in a couple of weeks and wanted to have everyone hang out by the wood fire and drink beer and play table tennis (I will be away, yay!)

My contribution to the decluttering this week was to take a tote bag of books, clothes and a few other items to the Salvation Army op shop. I also have a horribly manky, almost flat European pillow (my husband used it as a couch cushion for years) which I'm planning to insert in my very flattened couch seat to see if it will plump it up. If not, one of the dogs can use it as a sleeping mat.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 05:05:19 AM by lazycow »

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2776 on: August 02, 2019, 06:05:32 AM »
I started the minimalist game today of getting rid of a number of items corresponding to the day of the month. Say we are the first and so I get rid of one item and tow more items on the second day and so on. I got on a tear and threw some items away and filled a small box full of items. I need to keep it up this time. I got lulled into complacency after rationalizing that I had already gotten rid of more items the day before and end op stopping all together.

I took a break from decluttering yesterday and went to a bowling social event.
I've been doing a few hours every day for the last 5 days in a row. Isn't it amazing how there always seems to be MORE clutter to deal with? 

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2777 on: August 02, 2019, 11:40:34 AM »

I've been doing a few hours every day for the last 5 days in a row. Isn't it amazing how there always seems to be MORE clutter to deal with?

It breeds in captivity.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2778 on: August 02, 2019, 11:44:20 AM »
I got rid of (donated) sooo much stuff when I was decluttering to get the house ready to sell.  I got rid of another 3 carloads before the move.  Now that I am unpacking I am finding more stuff - I expect to have another carload of donations within the next few weeks.  Plus a few more garbage bags of junk, where was it all hiding?

My new apartment building is full of retirees who have downsized from houses - every time I mention this, I get nods of recognition. 

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2779 on: August 02, 2019, 02:59:19 PM »
I am contemplating doing another sweep through my wardrobe and clearing out more of the unused clothes that made it through the last cull.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2780 on: August 02, 2019, 04:11:10 PM »
I donated about a dozen books yesterday, and also threw out some old makeup and dug out three little travel toothpastes to use up before we move.

Gail2000

• Stubble
« Reply #2781 on: August 02, 2019, 07:39:59 PM »

It breeds in captivity.

It’s not me then! It’s real. I swore I gave boxes away a year ago and...poof....there’s more....( unsolved mystery creepy music).

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #2782 on: August 03, 2019, 07:33:39 AM »
Got rid of a bike helmet and 1 novel, and composted a completely worn through pair of wool socks. So satisfying to actually wear an item of clothing till it becomes a rag!

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2783 on: August 03, 2019, 07:40:49 AM »

Arrgghhh.... I got 8 responses from Craigslist saying they wanted it, but no one has taken the darn thing! I now have it leaning against my fence, on the front sidewalk with a "free" sign taped to it.  OMG.  lol...   

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #2784 on: August 03, 2019, 07:49:27 AM »

Arrgghhh.... I got 8 responses from Craigslist saying they wanted it, but no one has taken the darn thing! I now have it leaning against my fence, on the front sidewalk with a "free" sign taped to it.  OMG.  lol...

How annoying. Hopefully it will be gone the next time you look! My husband was going to try to sell our 2nd fridge (which sort-of-works) for $20 if someone wants to take it away, but I found a friend who wants an extra fridge for her shed and will take it off our hands, so we will just give it to her.  I want it out, out, out!

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2785 on: August 03, 2019, 07:59:41 AM »
Got rid of a bike helmet and 1 novel, and composted a completely worn through pair of wool socks. So satisfying to actually wear an item of clothing till it becomes a rag!

I had myself a pat-on-the-back moment yesterday. I found an old pair of my "dockers" shoes in the basement hoard that were perfectly good, except for the mold that was on them. I thought "what's a little mold? It's natural and organic, right? Just wipe it off".  But I put them in the garbage bag, and threw them out.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2786 on: August 03, 2019, 09:41:52 AM »

I had myself a pat-on-the-back moment yesterday. I found an old pair of my "dockers" shoes in the basement hoard that were perfectly good, except for the mold that was on them. I thought "what's a little mold? It's natural and organic, right? Just wipe it off".  But I put them in the garbage bag, and threw them out.

What would happen if you put the ENTIRE basement hoard into boxes and carted it off to the dump?

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2787 on: August 03, 2019, 10:05:17 AM »

What would happen if you put the ENTIRE basement hoard into boxes and carted it off to the dump?

I'd have to buy some new tools. There are actually good things in "the hoard". sawhorses, big thick plastic tubs,  usable plastic chairs, nice wooden tray tables. Yes, I could donate these things, but I think I have made enough room so that a contractor can now work on the leaking french door. 

When my hoarder girlfriend was living with me, I used to ask her if she would really miss anything if she came home one day and all her crap were gone.   

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2788 on: August 03, 2019, 02:32:02 PM »
I threw out a pair or very worn out shoes. I wear them for commuting, then when they break down so my feet start to hurt walking, I wear them to work on the house/yard. When they get dirty I put them through the washer. These shoes got a LOT of wear.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2789 on: August 03, 2019, 05:30:20 PM »
I need to get more serious about this. In a little over two years I plan to move to a much smaller space.

So far this past week I managed to toss one school backpack and one pair of very nice & lightly worn running shoes that hurt my toes a little in the back of the car for donation. Pathetic progress. Hopefully after I make dinner tonight I can start working on clothes. I did the "reverse the hanger" trick a couple of years ago. If it hasn't been worn since I flipped those around, then I really have no excuse to keep the item.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2790 on: August 04, 2019, 01:47:35 PM »
ANother bittersweet day at the Slackmax estate. Sold a lot of little stuff at the rummage sale, but still have houseful of unwanted stuff.

The ugly fake Christmas tree did not sell, so I donated it to Salvation Army. Also dropped off  a bagful of other rummage sale non-sellers at SA.

Soooooo......   more stuff out of the Slackmax household, at a very modest profit, but a long way to go still in the decluttering saga.   

I'm glad I donated that CHristmas tree. It was taking up a lot of room in the living room.     

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2791 on: August 04, 2019, 03:02:59 PM »
Christmas in July, @slackmax? You're my kind of people.

I got both Marie Kondo books at the library today: The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up and a newer one, Spark Joy, that has folding directions with illustrations.

I read the first book a few years ago when it first came out and made some progress on my clothes before I got derailed. It did change the way I fold shirts, and I am thankful for that. Unfortunately the full on complete house tidy never happened, but the situation did improve from reading her book and visualizing how I want my spaces to be. At this point I am more determined, and there are fewer other projects to interfere.

Into the breach!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2792 on: August 04, 2019, 03:43:50 PM »
I got rid of a filing cabinet a couple weeks ago and man it is wonderful to go in the garage and see that space be clear.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2793 on: August 04, 2019, 04:40:22 PM »
Returned a bag full of stuff to the hardware store. It's small potatoes to the rest of the mess, but that bag I know I don't need, and the rest is ether needed for the project or I'm not sure it's not needed yet.

Also returned the 4 unopened curtains that I got and decided I didn't like. Ordered 2 curtains for another room, which are ready to be hung when they arrive.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2794 on: August 04, 2019, 08:52:36 PM »
Week 6 report:

36. Vintage velvet lounger robe - to be offered to relative.
37. Seersucker robe - to be offered to same relative.  If she wants neither, off to thrift store they go.
38. Unused bag of cotton balls - thrift store.
39. 2 dog training books - to be given to neighbour, who has a new puppy.
40. Stiff, gunky paint brush - garbage.
41. 9 more plastic plant pots - going to thrift store.
42. Computer keyboard missing one key - if not found among roommate's hoard when she moves, it goes to electronic recycling.  (Blame the cat for this one.)

I's been very easy so far, but I have a feeling it's going to get progressively harder from now on.  I might need to resort to "Kondoing" to identify 48 more items - there are fewer things to just come across through the day, but we'll see.  Till next week ........

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2795 on: August 05, 2019, 05:39:11 AM »
^ and ^^, Keep up the good work!

I managed to fill the trunk of my car last night with items that don't spark joy. I'll drop these at the rescue mission thrift shop this morning. It was easier to sort things than I thought it would be. Sure, that free t-shirt the dealer gave me when I bought a used car several years ago is a perfectly good t-shirt, but does it spark joy? No, it does not.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2796 on: August 05, 2019, 06:09:25 AM »
Found some Amway and Avon jewelry.  I assumed it was junk and almost donated it, but talked to some other vendors at the rummage sale place, and decided to look online for prices (the jewelry is in boxes with descriptions on it!).

In a "make-the-sale-and-get-rid-of-it-your-time-is-valuable" moment, I sold an Avon magnifying glass pendant for $3.  Looked it up online later (no magical rectangle on hand at the time of the sale) and it is going for $40 !! 

It's true I would have to hassle with selling online. But I would have asked $10 at the rummage sale, had I known it was $40 online. A lot of the buyers know the real value of stuff, so I think I would have gotten $10. 

Just sayin'.  So much time this clutter uses up!   

Anyway, today I'm going to look up the other jewelry I have and make sure I'm not giving the store away in the future.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2797 on: August 05, 2019, 10:56:33 AM »
Yeah, go idea looking those things up.

I'm sure I could have made some bank selling some of what I donated this morning. For example, I had a barely worn Marmot ski parka with zip out vest that was $300 new but it doesn't fit right any more (aka I'm not the hyper fit warrior of days of yore anymore) . . . it still looks stylish and definitely would have fetched something on ebay.

But, somebody who needs a coat will hopefully get it from the rescue mission thrift shop. Where I live, plenty of people don't bother getting truly warm winter clothes for their kids because very warm coats are hard to find for good prices and our winters aren't that bad (except when they are, which is a couple of random weeks every year.) In my mind's eye, there will be a teenager who is happier and warmer at the morning bus stop this winter because I donated instead of selling.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2798 on: August 05, 2019, 11:08:40 AM »
So proud of my partner: He pulled a dozen books off the shelf like it was nothing to toss into the donate bin.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2799 on: August 05, 2019, 12:12:31 PM »
-snip-

But, somebody who needs a coat will hopefully get it from the rescue mission thrift shop. Where I live, plenty of people don't bother getting truly warm winter clothes for their kids because very warm coats are hard to find for good prices and our winters aren't that bad (except when they are, which is a couple of random weeks every year.) In my mind's eye, there will be a teenager who is happier and warmer at the morning bus stop this winter because I donated instead of selling.

Just watch, in about two weeks someone will post over on that "what small things did you do to save money" thread about the super great marmot coat they found for just a few dollars.  And in 3 or 4 years they'll post again when they mend a small hole in the pocket.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!