Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1249138 times)

Dogastrophe

• Bristles
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #4600 on: January 22, 2021, 08:16:38 AM »
Sold a few motorcycle specific tools the other day; have a couple more to donate to a local tool library; giving a small stack of 90s comics to kids of a friend.

I've took on the task of sorting through my parent's (and grand parents) picture slides after mom passed and dad was moved to a care home. Finally got around to going through them. Have removed the slides from ~75 carousels. Recycled all but 2. Still need to do a final sort on the slides and figure out which are worth digitizing and which should get destroyed. However, they now take up a small amount of space instead of half a closet.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #4601 on: January 22, 2021, 07:37:25 PM »
4 more books.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #4602 on: January 22, 2021, 08:08:29 PM »
Did some un-decluttering today; don't kick me out of the thread, please! I am moving soon, so have been scavenging boxes. Came across a perfectly good Rubbermaid tote in the recycle bin last night. Cleaned it up today and packed it with books and clothes. Once moved, I'll evaluate if need it.

Also decluttered a dozen books and an unloved cat toy.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4603 on: January 23, 2021, 07:33:59 AM »
Did some un-decluttering today; don't kick me out of the thread, please! I am moving soon, so have been scavenging boxes. Came across a perfectly good Rubbermaid tote in the recycle bin last night. Cleaned it up today and packed it with books and clothes. Once moved, I'll evaluate if need it.

You did a rescue and reuse instead of buying new, good for you.

Accrual

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4604 on: January 23, 2021, 08:37:52 AM »
Inspired by this thread. Going to look around my apartment now to see something I can get rid of ------ just a lot of trash / papers.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4605 on: January 23, 2021, 08:49:59 AM »
Sold an outgrown kids hoodie & a race shirt on eBay. Both are packaged & ready to be mailed out. Junk out/cash in.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4606 on: January 23, 2021, 09:06:13 AM »
Posted a few things from the garage to sell - got rid of a wheelbarrow last night, and hopefully have someone picking up a bike today.  Debating selling my kayak.  I want to kayak in the future, but don't have a way to transport it, and don't really want to kayak locally.

Threw out one bag of junk (why did I still have ugly bath mats from the apartment from 15 years ago?) and I'm working on a second.  Have a stack of books to donate.  Started a bag of clothes to donate.  I'm getting more ruthless as I get closer to putting my house up for sale.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #4607 on: January 23, 2021, 09:30:20 AM »
I just de-clutter the deep freezer and the fridge freezer.
Holy moley - space.  I have now washed about two dozen zip lock bags that contained herbs from as far back as 2014.  Approximately 2 cubic feet of freeze dried herbs from my garden.  And the benefits -we do not need to go to the grocery store for a good long time.  And we could keep the ice cream in the kitchen.  Should we keep the ice cream in the kitchen is a completely different question.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4608 on: January 23, 2021, 10:21:28 AM »
I just de-clutter the deep freezer and the fridge freezer.
Holy moley - space.  I have now washed about two dozen zip lock bags that contained herbs from as far back as 2014.  Approximately 2 cubic feet of freeze dried herbs from my garden.  And the benefits -we do not need to go to the grocery store for a good long time.  And we could keep the ice cream in the kitchen.  Should we keep the ice cream in the kitchen is a completely different question.

Eating ice cream counts as decluttering.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4609 on: January 23, 2021, 10:31:35 AM »
^. :-) Yes, indeed it does!

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4610 on: January 23, 2021, 10:44:23 AM »
I put 5 thoroughly read and enjoyed, but now cluttering,  National Geographic mags into the recycle bin.   

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4611 on: January 23, 2021, 03:53:56 PM »
I put 5 thoroughly read and enjoyed, but now cluttering,  National Geographic mags into the recycle bin.

Any chance you can take them out of recyle bin and sell on ebay? I have bought older National Geographic mags and I see people sell newer ones too! Such great photography and stories!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4612 on: January 23, 2021, 04:05:23 PM »
-Sold a necklace charm from 20 years ago. It's been sitting on eBay for a year. Packaged & ready to get out of the house
-Listed six kids books on Buy Nothing
-Cleaned out my sock drawer

Cleaned out my three tiered tray, where I keep things I need (order, bills, receipts, etc). I go through it every so often & clean it out. Got rid of checks I'd cashed (mobile), but was saving to verify. Recycled old receipts. I was going to toss gift cards that had been used to purchase holiday gifts (kept, in case the item didn't work out.) Turns out one gift card had $18 on it, one had $50, and only one had $0. Labeled the gift cards with the correct dollar value, and filed in the appropriate place.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 06:57:32 PM by MaybeBabyMustache »

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4613 on: January 23, 2021, 06:16:26 PM »

Any chance you can take them out of recyle bin and sell on ebay? I have bought older National Geographic mags and I see people sell newer ones too! Such great photography and stories!

Eh, good enough is good enough :)

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4614 on: January 23, 2021, 06:20:47 PM »

You did a rescue and reuse instead of buying new, good for you.

I felt guilty because I wouldn't have bought a tub for moving. But I do feel good to have rescued and found an immediate use for it.

Today I cleaned out my storage locker. It had fewer than a dozen items, but all bulky things.  Three are on Craigslist, and one is still in my car. Once the CL items go, I'll have room to bring the last one into the house.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4615 on: January 23, 2021, 06:42:59 PM »
Farewell old socks!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4616 on: January 23, 2021, 07:06:42 PM »
Parents are going to have an estate sale with everything they're not moving. The chairs are still moving. Sigh. And mom is daily freaking out about something different - today was the dvd cases have gone missing. I'm not telling her, but I remember a box of dvd cases getting thrown out probably 5 years ago, but we all thought they were my sister's dvd cases. Have to have a call with dad to chat about the tools.

However, I'm collecting various items which I don't want and will add them to the pile for the estate sale later. So far, a too small cat toy basket, some jewelry which I don't want any more, a couple of decorative crystal boxes. A 1st edition book that for some unknown reason my mom gave me years ago (I don't care about 1st edition!).

Also dug out the padlocks I used in 2007 when I used pods for a move. Parents are going to use pods, so assuming these locks will fit, they can use them. If they won't fit, into the sale they go.

Edit: My sister told mom about the dvd cases that got trashed, and which may have included the ones she's missing. Better her than me.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 07:46:13 PM by Sibley »

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4617 on: January 24, 2021, 07:42:00 AM »
I'm continuing to move baby things out of my house via consignment store and giving things away to friends and on Freecycle.

My parents are going through a HUGE decluttering process in their house.  My mom retired last year before the school year started, and she's getting antsy not being productive :) 

They recycled two garbage bags of shredded documents - saved receipts, billing and payment statements from when I went to college (I graduated in 2003, so that's long overdue), etc. - and another laundry basket of things that didn't need to be shredded, and my dad is still going through his filing cabinet.  Mom just sent me pictures of all my tween/YA books that are still in my old bedroom at their house asking which she should keep for my kids and which she should donate.  It's pretty awesome. 

crocheted_stache

• Stubble
« Reply #4618 on: January 24, 2021, 03:54:02 PM »
I've started using washcloths. I've now dug up enough that I already had (oddball colors, but so what) that I can toss a couple of the oldest, most threadbare and not have to buy more. Small victories are still victories.

Also, dug out enough of my desk and a couple other paper hiding places to find over two dozen expired credit and membership cards. I'm going to swap the bag under the shredder and do them all in one go so I don't mix plastic shards in with paper.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4619 on: January 24, 2021, 04:57:27 PM »
Gave away the 6 books on my local Buy Nothing group. Asked if they wanted lemons, so gave away 8 Meyer lemons. We have an abundance.

Gave away our basketball hoop to our neighbor's kids. They are thrilled. My husband's "office" at home looks out onto their drive way & he is so happy they are getting enjoyment out of it.

Listed a set of four (unopened) books on eBay, and a kids desk chair on FB market place

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4620 on: January 24, 2021, 06:03:58 PM »
Yesterday I noticed that we have a brand-new Goodwill donation center nearby - so today while I was out on an errand, I dropped off the books that I had pulled out yesterday, as well as a bag of clothes (threw some random stuff from my closet out to fill the bag, but it still needs to get pared down more).  I also threw out another bag of trash after purging paperwork.  I have 2 2-drawer filing cabinets I can now get rid of!

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4621 on: January 25, 2021, 10:00:12 AM »
Sold two more items over the weekend, one was a big box of 15+ board games.  Something interesting on ebay, if you are new and limited to one sale a month, once you hit that sale and get positive feedback, you can request a limit increase.  Did that and listed a bunch more items that I had on Facebook over on ebay.  Facebook Marketplace only has shipping allowed for a couple categories, so that will help increase visibility.  Found more photos, sigh. 

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4622 on: January 25, 2021, 10:40:33 AM »

Just what I did not need to hear, Roadrunner! Thanks! lol.

I imagine if I were to put them on my table at the flea market, no one would even touch them. But EBay is a whole different story, isn't it?

Well, they are out at the curb now, as I am typing, and I'm expecting to hear the sound of the recycling truck any minute.  What a struggle. I will leave them at the curb for now. 

I looked them up on ebay and they are going for $8 for 4 mags with free shipping.   And shipping might be $5, right?

This is almost as bad as when I dumped my COBOL II  user manuals into the big bin at the local recycling place last year, lol.     

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4623 on: January 25, 2021, 11:20:26 AM »
Had some stuff still in storage at my parents' house.  My brother and SIL are moving in for a while and needed the stuff moved.  I admitted to myself that I am never going to be a size 3/4 ever again, and purged all those clothes.  Even snuck some of the kid's toys into the donation boxes.  I ended up bringing more stuff home than I really wanted to, but at least it wasn't everything...I guess.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4624 on: January 25, 2021, 06:01:11 PM »
I had a productive weekend. Decluttered the following:

-a pile of excess file folders
-several notebooks
-a couple clothing items
-3 board games
-8 bottles of hand sanitizer

I have a few spots I still need to go through but I think we've done basically the whole house in the last year.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4625 on: January 25, 2021, 06:07:41 PM »
Chugging away
- Made up some high-end ice tea mix a friend gave me and happily discarded the lot - not a flavour I enjoy at all. So that's out of the cupboard.
- A friend is taking the food processor in the next few weeks
- Used up a notebook for work
- Put three pens that bled through paper into the stationery cupboard at work
- Slowly deleting ebooks from my digital library. There are a whole bunch that I can happily say I'll never read again.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #4626 on: January 25, 2021, 07:06:51 PM »
One more book, and a pair of my son's work pants which have been patched once at the knees, have ripped again, and he no longer needs them for his new casual job. They will go into the local textile recycling bin. Plus an indoor plant that died. It will go into the green waste bin.

catlady

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4627 on: January 25, 2021, 08:04:06 PM »
I continue to sell baby clothes but I started amassing toddler books :| I plan to put some toys for sale this weekend

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4628 on: January 26, 2021, 12:17:29 PM »
-Sold two technical books that I picked up off of a freebie pile. Out of the house, & into the hands of someone who needs them
-Organized our garage food storage area, and can now actually see what we have.
-Started getting our taxes ready & tossed paperwork I no longer need (not tax documents, just inserts, envelopes, etc)
-Needed a hat this morning for a chilly am walk & discovered I have several hats in my ski bag. I used to rotate through them, but these days I wear a helmet on the slopes, so I only need one hat for after/before skiing. Set aside my nice Bogner hat to sell.

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #4629 on: January 26, 2021, 01:04:22 PM »
So my living space is feeling about right.  I read somewhere that if a horizontal surface has 3 or fewer items on it, the look is cozy/curated but not cluttered. So I have worked toward that and I'll say it's a good general rule. I have a couple of places where I have 5 items, like on a large side table, but 3 of the 5 are picture frames grouped together so I think visually they might counts as one; to my eye it doesn't look cluttered.

The basement is still not ok and I think DH and I can sort through that.

I am posting today because I have about 2 dozen items that I'm finding really hard to get rid of.  Generally, they are somewhat valuable (like fancy opera glasses from a rich aunt) or just a little sentimental. A few are just hard things to figure out how to get rid of.  I've made a list on my phone and am making a promise to myself that I'll stop kicking the can down the road and finally deal with these things in 2021.  It's hard to sell something when you don't know what it's worth; I fear a bad case of seller's remorse that I sold something too low, although I know that so many "valuable" things aren't anymore.   I sold a few of these types of items on Ebay in 2019 and early 2020 but really need to step it up and continue. This post is my promise to myself in writing.

For anyone who is involved with a relative's estate, or the like, my advice to you is just say "no". and then repeat "no"  as the house is emptied. I helped with several relatives estates over the years and somehow ended up with things. Even if you don't think you're taking much, my gosh it adds up. and then turns into a time/energy suck for you later.

If you have strategies/face punches or the like to get rid of these items I'd appreciate hearing them.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4630 on: January 26, 2021, 01:24:15 PM »
Inspection for the sale of our place is tomorrow, so we're gonna get the shredding done while we have to be out of the house, along with some additional textile recycling we've drummed up. Gave away our bottle/teething stuff from our last baby ('cause WE. ARE. DONE.)

Working through our pantry, including meal-planning around our stocks of soup, polenta, and freezer foods. We're also down to our last powdered hot chocolate, which was the gift-du-jour of our HOA in XMas 2019... 

The big win is that I had my four-year-old go through his toys and pick a few to pass along to other kids. It wasn't much, and at least one we're gonna keep for the younger sibling (it's basically too young for the oldest, but too young for the eldest) but it was a good step!

Next up - the kids' bookshelf. (We're trying to use the library more often, and will donate anything that's in good shape there.)

Clothing was recycled, shredding was moved to this weekend, e-waste was moved to the free day for our city (first Wed of every month) to avoid any private company charges.

Sold an old (working) coffeemaker on a social media group. Finding other items to sell pre-move (baby carrier, old crib mattress, some unused cookware/appliances, etc.)

Intentionally working through our cupboards to eat up and use items I don't want to move. Hello, half a bag of quinoa. What to cook you in next week... ?

We're preparing for a move later this spring, so yesterday DH and I did a deep dive in our office. Recycled LOTS of outdated or expired paperwork, with a small shred pile to be disposed of (you know, the stuff you can't just throw away). Plan on hitting up local shredding service later this week, as most community free shedding days are in the summer (post-move).

Also found as part of that purge: a small pile of old electronics to take to a local e-recyclyer - three(!) old phones, a tablet, and a DVD player, all of which finally bit the proverbial dust.

Finally, a pile of ripped/worn clothing that can't be sold or donated is heading for a textile recycling bin!

(Is moving the ultimate de-cluttering motivator? It sure feels like it.)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4631 on: January 26, 2021, 03:14:29 PM »
So my living space is feeling about right.  I read somewhere that if a horizontal surface has 3 or fewer items on it, the look is cozy/curated but not cluttered. So I have worked toward that and I'll say it's a good general rule. I have a couple of places where I have 5 items, like on a large side table, but 3 of the 5 are picture frames grouped together so I think visually they might counts as one; to my eye it doesn't look cluttered.

I am posting today because I have about 2 dozen items that I'm finding really hard to get rid of.  Generally, they are somewhat valuable (like fancy opera glasses from a rich aunt) or just a little sentimental. A few are just hard things to figure out how to get rid of.  I've made a list on my phone and am making a promise to myself that I'll stop kicking the can down the road and finally deal with these things in 2021.  It's hard to sell something when you don't know what it's worth; I fear a bad case of seller's remorse that I sold something too low, although I know that so many "valuable" things aren't anymore.   I sold a few of these types of items on Ebay in 2019 and early 2020 but really need to step it up and continue. This post is my promise to myself in writing.

For anyone who is involved with a relative's estate, or the like, my advice to you is just say "no". and then repeat "no"  as the house is emptied. I helped with several relatives estates over the years and somehow ended up with things. Even if you don't think you're taking much, my gosh it adds up. and then turns into a time/energy suck for you later.

If you have strategies/face punches or the like to get rid of these items I'd appreciate hearing them.

For seller's remorse, I'll start with the caveat that I'm rarely selling something super expensive. For anything worth more than $50 or so, I do research & spend a bit of time on trying to find an appropriately similar value - say, 15 minutes at the absolute most. It usually takes less than five minutes of time. Other than the occasional, "Oh, crap, I should have priced that higher" feeling the day I make a sale, I can honestly say that I've never looked back & spent a bunch of time on regrets. I'm always much happier just to have something out of my house & my mental energy. I move on pretty quickly once it's sold. I guess I'd say that I prioritize expediency over precision.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4632 on: January 26, 2021, 04:01:48 PM »
I referred to today's activity (in my head) as "rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic".  I took my "for sale" pile out of an upstairs closet/shelving unit, and moved the items to the garage shelving unit.  My thinking being that I want to sell the upstairs shelves (now listed on FB Marketplace!), and the garage ones will stay with the house.  All in an effort to get my house "show ready", and I think a closet with a clear floor will show better.  I did put a few items that didn't get any interest in the donation bag.

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #4633 on: January 27, 2021, 03:17:30 PM »

For seller's remorse, I'll start with the caveat that I'm rarely selling something super expensive. For anything worth more than $50 or so, I do research & spend a bit of time on trying to find an appropriately similar value - say, 15 minutes at the absolute most. It usually takes less than five minutes of time. Other than the occasional, "Oh, crap, I should have priced that higher" feeling the day I make a sale, I can honestly say that I've never looked back & spent a bunch of time on regrets. I'm always much happier just to have something out of my house & my mental energy. I move on pretty quickly once it's sold. I guess I'd say that I prioritize expediency over precision.

That is exactly what I need to hear and remember.

I actually haven't looked back with regret on sales I've made. I'm just anxious that I'm going to...wow... Way for me to get in my own way.  Thinking this is some odd version of perfectionism or something.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4634 on: January 27, 2021, 07:54:05 PM »
4 boxes of brewing bottles picked up from the curbside today. I used up one of the many many notebooks lurking around our house and get to start on the next one. Three pens I don't like moved to the work stationery cupboard.

Chipping away.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4635 on: January 27, 2021, 08:21:54 PM »
I was in the office today for the first time since before Thanksgiving.  I took along the token Christmas goodies I had for my coworkers. I almost decided it was too silly so late but I didn’t want them sitting at home anymore!! So they have been given.

I used supplies on hand to make a bodysuit for our kittens recovery after her upcoming surgery. No money spent and some supplies used up.

I’m getting a new sewing machine and preparing a mental list of the things I’ll be able to get rid of. This piece is hard! 

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4636 on: January 27, 2021, 09:00:26 PM »
Sold the shelving unit quickly, and it's out of the house.  Listed a few other random items, including the two coffee makers I previously didn't want to get rid of.

Almost finished with the contents of the office closet - last step is to decide which random cords are worth keeping, and which to take to electronics recycling.

Put 2 bags of yard waste out for pickup tomorrow.  Will try dragging an old TV to the curb in the morning for large-item pick up.

Started on the master closet clean out and finished the first half (it's a giant closet) - started a new pile to donate, and trashed a few things with holes as well as a ton of buttons and unused lotions.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4637 on: January 27, 2021, 11:36:31 PM »
Today I cleaned out my storage locker. It had fewer than a dozen items, but all bulky things.  Three are on Craigslist, and one is still in my car. Once the CL items go, I'll have room to bring the last one into the house.

Three CL-ed items claimed & gone! The last bulky item is now in the house with minimal disruption to the living space (which is shared with Room Mate).

I'd forgotten about some hobby items that I wanted to sell earlier. Now, before moving, is the time to list them at fire sale prices! 

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #4638 on: January 28, 2021, 08:48:53 AM »
I had success in a few areas recently, now I'm making plans for more:
-sold a few items small online, in the most streamlined transaction ever for $60 profit
-gave away a stack of egg cartens when our farm fresh eggs were delivered
-gave away 7 items in the last week that would be too small a value to sell
-made a huge master list of projects so I can prioritize the next steps on my top 2 items, and declutter some actions and supplies and procrastinator's guilt by getting rid of items and projects at the bottom of the list

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4639 on: January 28, 2021, 08:58:28 AM »
-Continue listing items daily on eBay
-Sold a sweater & one of those champagne bottle sleeves that often come with a fancier bottle of champagne
-Organized one drawer in my eBay closet. There's more work to do here, but the shipping supplies are now easy to find & use.

For today, my goal will be to go through another shelf in my eBay closet.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4640 on: January 28, 2021, 11:01:38 AM »
Listed a few more items on ebay, some old family jewelry pieces and one given to me years ago that are not sentimental.  Sold three more items, getting them to the post office today.  I'm about out of shipping supplies so I posted that I'd pick up and reuse supplies in my local buy nothing and neighborhood facebook group.  Have another box of stuff ready to go to Goodwill.  Finished the photos, but then found another big batch.  I got offered a short term gig where I'll make about $40k-$45k for two months work.  I'll probably take it and slow down with the clearing out, but it's only two months and luckily no airplanes as it's in a neighboring state. 

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4641 on: January 28, 2021, 02:37:49 PM »
Pot added to the box to go away. Matching glass lid went into the trash in many pieces last week.

New pot will be acquired whenever I get to that store.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4642 on: January 28, 2021, 03:38:51 PM »
-Organized all of my makeup samples, for selling. (I received Birchbox as a gift, and am very picky about makeup/skin products, so will end up selling or donating.) Listed them in groups on eBay
-Sold three more items: a butter warmer, a makeup product & a Fitbit charger (no longer have the Fitbit). They are all out of the house & on their way to someone who will enjoy them
-Listed 3 other items on eBay/FB
-Am giving away an "aspirational" craft kit on my Buy Nothing group

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4643 on: January 28, 2021, 03:49:21 PM »
Pot added to the box to go away. Matching glass lid went into the trash in many pieces last week.

New pot will be acquired whenever I get to that store.

Mine is the opposite.  A pot with a loose handle (now unfix-able) is gone, the lid fits a frypan perfectly and is staying.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #4644 on: January 28, 2021, 05:12:23 PM »
Finally, finally, listed my son's TI calculator on the local Buy Sell Swap page for $100 and someone is picking it up today. It literally took 5 minutes between taking the photos, listing and sale. School starts back on Monday so people are desperate for a bargain!

I am going to add that money to my little stash to start investing in February (scary). Have only bought 3 2nd hand tshirts for him this month, so the net items out (over 50 things I think) far outweigh the 3 that came in, plus a trash-picked bar stool I am currently using as a temporary piano stool.  And no one feels deprived. Very happy with that outcome.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4645 on: January 28, 2021, 05:35:02 PM »
Finally, finally, listed my son's TI calculator on the local Buy Sell Swap page for $100 and someone is picking it up today. It literally took 5 minutes between taking the photos, listing and sale. School starts back on Monday so people are desperate for a bargain!

I am going to add that money to my little stash to start investing in February (scary). Have only bought 3 2nd hand tshirts for him this month, so the net items out (over 50 things I think) far outweigh the 3 that came in, plus a trash-picked bar stool I am currently using as a temporary piano stool.  And no one feels deprived. Very happy with that outcome.

People still buy calculators?  I have 3 ancient scientific calculators in perfect working order, never thought there might be a market.  How old was yours?

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #4646 on: January 28, 2021, 06:24:22 PM »

People still buy calculators?  I have 3 ancient scientific calculators in perfect working order, never thought there might be a market.  How old was yours?

The students require one for Maths classes. In Year 10 they need to upgrade to the pricy TI brand ($240 AUD new!!). This one was owned by both my kids and is 5 years old.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4647 on: January 28, 2021, 06:48:25 PM »

The students require one for Maths classes. In Year 10 they need to upgrade to the pricy TI brand ($240 AUD new!!). This one was owned by both my kids and is 5 years old.

Thanks for replying so fast.  Mine are a LOT older but still do all the scientific calculations.  Maybe I could make a student happy instead of sending them to electronics recycling.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4648 on: January 28, 2021, 08:51:48 PM »
Finished cleaning out the 2nd half of the master closet.  Trashed a bunch of race bibs, but kept the medals for now.  Put my god-awful wedding dress in the donation pile (it came from a department store, and I had forgotten how sparkly it was).  Getting rid of a ton of t-shirts that I never wore or stopped wearing years ago - some going all the way back to high school!  Took pictures of a few, but it's nice to be rid of them.  Found a few items to try to sell.

Also "decluttered" the last bit of a bottle of coffee moonshine from the pantry.  Not even a full shot, so that was a little disappointing!

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #4649 on: January 30, 2021, 06:00:30 AM »
Watching decluttering YouTube videos has given me impetus to dig a little deeper and find even more items to get rid of. So into the donation pile goes a hot glue gun with a box of glue tubes/refills, a new pack of coloured pencils (my daughter's, she won't use them and I hate colouring with pencils, the colour isn't saturated enough), and a stack of 365 inspirational quotes on mini cards (cute, but I don't really need to refer to them).

None of these are large things, but were all surprisingly difficult to get rid of. I had such nostalgic feelings for when my kids were younger and loved crafting and drawing, but they are all grown up now and have different interests. I know once the items are out of the house I will completely forget about them, so it is much healthier for my state of mind to not see them any more!