Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1249239 times)

Nancy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #3250 on: December 23, 2019, 08:19:01 AM »
Decluttering before moving has shown me that I was wasting so much space keeping items that I rarely used. It's so nice to have just what I need now and for everything to have a home. I hope I don't forget this when I settle somewhere someday.

Donated a big box worth o' stuff.

AerynLee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3251 on: December 23, 2019, 08:32:50 AM »
I had a weird moment of gratitude for my decluttered home recently. We were visiting family and at my mom's house there were toys laying out from my niece and nephew. Not a ridiculous amount by any means, I'm not making fun of my mom or my sister for what was there. Buy my 12 year old dog kept tripping over toys and I realized 1) he's old :( and 2) he's not used to having to navigate around things on the floor. We don't even have a coffee table in the living room, it's just wide open floor.

My garage though, has gotten a little bit ridiculous. Last weekend I took some supplies we didn't end up using for our remodel to the Habitat for Humanity Re-Store and a few things to Goodwill but I still need to clear out some more room to fit a tiny (5cuft) chest freezer I want to buy. We can park a car in there easily, but the rest of it is a mess

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3252 on: December 23, 2019, 08:34:08 AM »
Have any of you moved to another state and just sold off most of your possessions and planned to buy all new stuff at your new location?

I have considered that.

If I were to move, I would get one of those companies that drop off a container to fill with the rest of my possessions and have them ship it to my new location.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3253 on: December 25, 2019, 10:20:56 AM »
Have any of you moved to another state and just sold off most of your possessions and planned to buy all new stuff at your new location?

I have considered that.

If I were to move, I would get one of those companies that drop off a container to fill with the rest of my possessions and have them ship it to my new location.

When I have moved to another city I have normally sold my sofa because it cost more to transport then to buy a new one. Everytimed I have moved my stuff I have started the decluttering a couple of weeks before the move and considered If I am prepared to pay for transportation. I have also  disassembled a lot of furnitures to save space. Bookshelves is also one thing that has been cheaper to buy new ones then to transport.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #3254 on: December 26, 2019, 01:39:49 PM »
Checking my credit report, I see that the last two addresses on the report, since the time I shared an address with my ex, are HIS last two addresses, grrrrrrr.

But making lemons out of lemonade.  I have a USB drive that belongs to our former neighbor, who the ex remained friends with.  I'm taking advantage of the address snafu to address an envelope & send this USB drive out of my life!  I'd just chuck it, but it has photos of the former neighbor & his daughter that he'd be delighted to have.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3255 on: December 28, 2019, 07:00:47 PM »
After nearly 14 years, the plates we received as a wedding gift are getting rather worn and chipped.  We actually received like 15 plates and have been using 8 of them, so I'm rotating new ones in.  I'm posting here for accountability that I'm getting rid of the old ones.  I also bought new pasta bowls today, and solemnly swear that I will get rid of the old ones ASAP.  Cupboard freed up in the China hutch now where the unused plates have been living.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3256 on: December 29, 2019, 07:10:13 AM »
Stupid me. This summer I saw this little kitchen appliance and thought it was a good idea to pick it up. It was only about $22. I used it one time since I had it. DUH to me! I am going to donate it to Vietnam Vets. It is taking up space, not a lot, but space is precious around here!

Oh, and I had a huge 7 quart slow cooker for quite a few years. I loved it. It was stainless steel on the outside and a ceramic crock on the inside. I just finished making beef broth out of prime rib bones and when I went to clean the crock I noticed a large hairline crack in the bottom of ceramic crock. I did see some other small cracks too. So, I tossed the slow cooker and am donating the lid to Vietnam Vets. Nice oval glass lid.

I was going to purchase another slow cooker but didn't find what I wanted and then it dawned on me that my Instant Pot has a slow cooking feature so I will use that now. If I don't like it compared to my slow cooker, I will purchase a new slow cooker. The one good thing is that I now have an empty spot in my hall closet where I stored my slow cooker. An actual empty space! Very rare in my house!

Does anyone use the slow cooker feature on your Instant Pot?

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3257 on: December 29, 2019, 07:36:12 AM »
This year I have been purging my wardrobe as well as purging and reorganizing my pantry however I am most excited about the stealth purging I’ve been doing of my mother’s place. Her closets are packed with stuff she doesn’t use from candles to personal care products to canned food etc. she’s not a hoarder as the house is clear and immaculate but every space has Knick knacks on it and every closet is packed. With her permission I have been removing things that she doesn’t use but I can use. I also say I will use some things but then take them to Goodwill ha.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #3258 on: December 29, 2019, 10:41:05 AM »
I have not yet tried the slow cooking feature on my instant pot.

We have been ruthless with Christmas gifts - if we don't like it/didn't fit/don't need - they got returned.  The house has still got the calm and spaciousness that it had before Christmas.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3259 on: December 29, 2019, 11:07:27 AM »
I bought a 10" glass lid at a thrift store to use while sauteing and slow cooking with my instapot.  The site sells one to use but any glass lid the right size will work.  I haven't used it as a slow cooker as most of what I would slow cook I pressure cook now instead.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3260 on: December 29, 2019, 11:29:03 AM »
Christmas was a success, with minimal "things". The kids got two items they needed from my parents (pajamas & slippers), plus a gift card & money for college.

We are at our vacation house this week, and I created a bag for donations, which I try to do every time we're here.

ItsALongStory

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3261 on: December 29, 2019, 01:49:22 PM »
Just went to grassroots books and wife is all gung ho to drop off books, CDs and DVDs. We are picking up a bunch of them and heading back to the store.

Unfortunately the 1 item I did purchase was a new book so probably about the most expensive item they had @8.99 + tax.

We also dropped off a box at goodwill earlier.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #3262 on: December 29, 2019, 02:55:36 PM »
Cleared out so. many. boxes from our storage room. We've been saving them the past few months in case we need to ship Christmas presents, returns, etc. Took down two full boxes of broken down boxes to the recycling and it feels so nice to have the space.

We also have three bags to go to Goodwill and one to go to electronic recycling.

The new year has put me in the mood to do another deep declutter. I can generally clear off most surfaces pretty quickly nowadways (used to not be the case), but I still feel like I'm drowning in clutter. Much of it is my wife's and I just need to live with that, but I'm sure there are some things of my own I can get rid of.

I'm still waffling about some of my Christmas gifts. My parents downsized this year, and they gave each kid a few small things from the house for Christmas. I thought I had taken everything I wanted, but it's much harder to make the decision to get rid of it when it's my responsibility now. I can see why Marie Kondo is such an advocate about just getting rid of the stuff you don't want instead of passing the burden onto others...

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #3263 on: December 29, 2019, 02:56:46 PM »
After my false start a month ago, my decluttering is going great guns! Nothing like seeing the new space you have to fit into, and trying to make it look like an Airbnb worthy pad, to make you think about what you need.

So far the wine glasses have survived and a decanter but a couple of other wedding gifts that I felt bad about parting with (unused!) are up for sale. Managed to get dollars for a couple of other things and I've got a whole cupboard full of kitchen freebies listed.

We are just constructing the flat pack wardrobe inserts and once that's done I will take a pic. I don't know if it's possible but I'm going to try to fit all my clothes into a space that's about 0.5 x 2.3m. Including shoes but excluding outdoor coats (rain jacket, leather jacket and ski jacket - I don't actually own a coat) and wellie boots/ mucky shoes.

It's 36 degrees Celsius here tomorrow but I am going to have to list a winter gilet and gloves that are just don't need...

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3264 on: December 29, 2019, 02:58:49 PM »
I can see why Marie Kondo is such an advocate about just getting rid of the stuff you don't want instead of passing the burden onto others...

I listened to an audiobook called Let It Go by that declutter that was on Oprah. He said the same thing. It makes it hard for your descendants to know what to treasure. They could end up holding on to something you hated in your memory!

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3265 on: December 29, 2019, 06:19:05 PM »
I was rummaging through my kitchen drawers looking for the **** corkscrew to open a gift bottle of cabernet sauv. Rummage, rummage, rummage, omg what are all these **** plastic knives and forks doing here? Tossed  about 40 plastic knives, forks, spoons into the recycling. Good riddance. Woot!   

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #3266 on: December 29, 2019, 08:38:06 PM »
@horsepoor that's some A+ one-in-one out right there :)

@Roadrunner53 the appliance story seems more like a good learning lesson that something stupid!

@brooklynmoney you worried me with your stealth decluttering, but I'm glad you're able to help your mom that way :)

@Frugal Lizard I have also been ruthless with gifts this year!

@MaybeBabyMustache keep chipping away at that vacation house, you'll have it where you want it oneday :)

@ItsALongStory sounds like more going out than coming in, a net win!

@zygote I'm rooting for your new year's declutter!

@Fresh Bread please report back on your wardrobe progress.

@slackmax way to go

Saturday, mailed off the USB drive I'd addressed on Thursday, and also on Saturday dropped off a few things at the thrift store.  Shoes/clothing that I no longer wear and a Christmas gift I had no use for!

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3267 on: December 29, 2019, 11:59:11 PM »
Here's a pic of my wardrobe space.

There is one drawer missing as I need to go buy it (I changed things up since designing it). It's 50cm wide but a generous 58cm deep. I'm gaining a drawer but losing a lot of hanging space over what I have how.

The plan is to fold my summer dresses (4?) and I'm tentatively thinking about selling two wedding/formal dresses. I suspect one is too small anyway. I'm into the idea of renting a formal dress if the need arises, although the dresses I've seen for rent is all a bit short/young.

Nancy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3268 on: December 31, 2019, 09:09:33 AM »
I've given away five plastic storage containers. All the contents are gone. I'm going to make it my mission to acquire the bare minimum in furniture when I settle again. It's too easy to put something in a drawer and justify its existence.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3269 on: December 31, 2019, 10:16:49 AM »
the large sheet of linoleum flooring that has been rolled up in our basement is now glued to the floor so the big tube it came on can also now leave the house.  But I might play with it being a cat tunnel. 
A bunch of transitions that were gathering dust are mostly attached to the joints between the linoleum and cork or cork and hardwood flooring- it is looking amazing.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3270 on: December 31, 2019, 02:28:18 PM »
Purged a ton of card board boxes and old papers this week.  Finally starting to make some progress on the dining room.  Still have the extra table in there that needed to go, like yesterday.  DH keeps saying that he knows someone that wants it, but "we were using it."  No, it was a flat sir face and flat surfaces attract stuff.  Someone is supposed to be here today to get it (I'll believe it when I see it...he has hoarder tendancies, so it's a constant battle to keep all of his stuff from taking over everywhere). 

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3271 on: December 31, 2019, 04:10:29 PM »
I should have found this thread earlier! I made a new year's resolution to purge all the old junk in my attic, and I'm finally getting around to it this week.

I have boxes and boxes full of old books. Powell's has a book buyback program, so I got a barcode scanner app on my phone, captured the ISBNs and uploaded them to the Powell's website. They wanted about ten of them. They e-mailed me a prepaid shipping label, plus I get a few bucks in store credit. I'll ship those later this week.

Of the fifty or sixty books they didn't want, some were out-of-date college textbooks or paperbacks that are too old and battered to resell. I filled up a big box with those and carried it out to the recycling bin today. The books that are in good condition and that someone might want, I'll donate to the library or thrift store.

I have at least one or two more rounds of book purging to go. Next, I have to tackle all our boxes of baby stuff.

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #3272 on: December 31, 2019, 04:18:19 PM »
Despite having a moratorium on coffee mugs, I bought one yesterday that is very meaninful to me. BUT I took it as an opportunity to go through the glassware and found 6 or 7 cups/glasses/etc. to get rid of (no mugs though, whoops). It's so pleasant to open that cupboard now that it's organized a little better, and there is more room to breathe. We even have space for one or two more cups if the moment arises.......

Now at 4 bags of stuff to donate, we made the trip to Goodwill this afternoon. Feels great! Said goodbye to the crockpot I never use to make room for the instant pot I got for Christmas and have already used multiple times. Also got rid of some sheets that don't fit the bed anymore, a puzzle we did once but won't do again, and some other random items.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3273 on: January 04, 2020, 09:20:59 PM »
Wow, did everyone run out of stuff? No posts long enough to fall off the first page.

Anyway, I didn't necessarily get a bunch of stuff out of the house, but I did massively declutter. FINALLY after months, progress has been made on the utility room remodel. 4 cabinets are installed (instead of sitting in the garage), the 6ft countertop is at least sitting on top of the cabinets (vs the garage). Garage has been rearranged so I can get my car in there. Happy me!!!

Additionally, 3 bags of supplies for the utility room have either been used in the utility room, or determined that they were unnecessary and returned to the store. An additional bag of supplies is now ready to be used, I just have to install the cabinet doors and drawers, then install the knobs. Once that's done, then I can consolidate all the tools and working on the house stuff which is currently all over the house into the new cabinets in an organized fashion.

As part of the work done, we removed the janky old gas line which was flopping all around the utility room (yes, literally) and replaced it with a nice new, SAFE one neatly against the wall. Old gas line is in the alley for the scrap pickers in 2 pieces, it'll be gone within 24 hours.

I also painted the downstairs bedroom, trim and closet door. Didn't get to throw out any paint cans this time, but used lots of paint regardless. Also installed the new vent covers (old ones go to neighbor's scrap pile), and was able to patch the wall rather than putting a blank cover plate on it so returned that to the store. That's a full bag off of stuff gone. Additional work in this room will result in installing 2 curtain rods (which are stashed upstairs), hanging 2 pictures (currently in the closet upstairs), and getting the rolled up rug out of the living room.

I am slowly imposing order to my house.

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3274 on: January 04, 2020, 10:02:30 PM »
In New Years Day I purged and shredded two bags of papers from my files. It was fun and I felt so accomplished for a lazy day

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3275 on: January 04, 2020, 10:07:55 PM »
Ah Sibley, congrats on the painting. I sit here typing as I wait for paint to dry.

Big news here. First, husband has been decluttering huge amounts of paper and has also thrown some old tees for rags. Whoop! Second, he showed me how to use the paper feeder on the scanner and various old bills needed for tax are now being scanned and shredded. Have dropped a few files worth! I wish we'd done this sooner, but I am still over the moon.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3276 on: January 04, 2020, 10:38:21 PM »
Good work Sibley, brooklynmoney and Fresh Bread!

I have been decluttering, I just haven't been around here for a couple of weeks.
- Another bag of gorgeous frocks donated with the acknowledgement that while they remain lovely, I am less *girly* than I used to be and I will genuinely never wear them again.
- About 15 more books donated to the street libraries, and there is about 10 more ready to go as soon as I find a library with space for donations.
- I had the realisation that I am finally ready to drastically re-cut my manga collection, which is the THIRD major purge I have done in the last 5 years. Each time, the keeper pile gets smaller.

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #3277 on: January 05, 2020, 06:17:40 AM »
The universe imposed the one-in, one-out rule on my recently - the week before Christmas, I dropped and broke a drinking glass my mom gave me last Christmas.  Then, I received another drinking glass (different one) from her this Christmas.  Since the first one was gone, I didn't have to figure out where in the cupboard it would fit!

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3278 on: January 05, 2020, 08:47:59 AM »
We have been moving back into our basement room now that it is finished with the renovating.  I have been militant about what finds its way into the room.  It looks so lovely now - I used to spend as little time as possible in there - now I am folding laundry there - right beside the washing machine and drying rack.  So convenient.

Yesterday I cut up an old holey flannel sheet.  The thickest parts for dusting and cleaning clothes.  The thread bare sections I tore into 3 inch strips for tomato ties. 

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3279 on: January 05, 2020, 11:46:26 AM »
Stupid me. This summer I saw this little kitchen appliance and thought it was a good idea to pick it up. It was only about $22. I used it one time since I had it. DUH to me! I am going to donate it to Vietnam Vets. It is taking up space, not a lot, but space is precious around here!

Oh, and I had a huge 7 quart slow cooker for quite a few years. I loved it. It was stainless steel on the outside and a ceramic crock on the inside. I just finished making beef broth out of prime rib bones and when I went to clean the crock I noticed a large hairline crack in the bottom of ceramic crock. I did see some other small cracks too. So, I tossed the slow cooker and am donating the lid to Vietnam Vets. Nice oval glass lid.

I was going to purchase another slow cooker but didn't find what I wanted and then it dawned on me that my Instant Pot has a slow cooking feature so I will use that now. If I don't like it compared to my slow cooker, I will purchase a new slow cooker. The one good thing is that I now have an empty spot in my hall closet where I stored my slow cooker. An actual empty space! Very rare in my house!

RR,   I have 3 slow cookers (crock pots) I inherited  from my gf !  I use one of them often. I was curious about the instantPots, but am resisting the urge to take in another item. I should probably donate one of crock pots, but it's too much fun keeping them as spares, lol.     

ItsALongStory

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3280 on: January 05, 2020, 12:00:11 PM »
I think the spare is the enemy of the minimalist. @slackmax

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3281 on: January 05, 2020, 12:12:39 PM »
I think the spare is the enemy of the minimalist. @slackmax
Maybe, but having a spare prevents the primary one from breaking (lol). And if you only have your primary, once it breaks, you have to buy anew one and use up extra resources, waste money, etc.   (Sort of just kidding, IALS, I do get your point!)   

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3282 on: January 05, 2020, 01:47:22 PM »
We have been moving back into our basement room now that it is finished with the renovating.  I have been militant about what finds its way into the room.  It looks so lovely now - I used to spend as little time as possible in there - now I am folding laundry there - right beside the washing machine and drying rack.  So convenient.

Yesterday I cut up an old holey flannel sheet.  The thickest parts for dusting and cleaning clothes.  The thread bare sections I tore into 3 inch strips for tomato ties.

The basement room sounds great.

Your tomato ties are an argument for 100% cotton sheets.  My parents always used old sheets (and threadbare towels) for tomato ties.  When they were too weak for that, into the compost they went.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3283 on: January 05, 2020, 05:01:30 PM »
Today I tackled the cupboard under the basement stairs.  So many things I had forgotten we even had.  So many cans of paint.   So I've pitched the dried up stuff, sorted out the almost full cans that were testers (to be posted on freecycle), and bagged up a ton of craft supplies for the charity pick up tomorrow.   Also have 3 large garbage bags full of clothing and books for the charity pick up too.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3284 on: January 05, 2020, 06:08:45 PM »
Did a little bit more today. Installed the curtain rods in the bedroom, and hung the 2 pictures. Also found a 3rd framed picture which I honestly don't know why I have it. I don't like it, don't want to hang it. Into the donation box it went.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3285 on: January 05, 2020, 07:07:37 PM »
I am happy to give away these type of things (don't want to make the effort to sell, will probably get $1-2), but it annoys me a bit that the woman who got it picks up a lot of the free stuff in our local Facebook group (buying/selling/giving away in the neighbourhood-type of group).  She does not live here, she does not have kids. I think she sells the stuff, and that is fine, she may need the money and want to go through the effort - fine. But I'd rather want to give away to parents who are our neighbours. Is this bad of me?
I am really clueless when it comes to Facebook. Can I block her so she doesn't see my postings in this group? (Or anywhere on Facebook).
I have more stuff I just want to give away for pick-up so I don't have to take it to charity.

I would just let it go.  If she's surfing the internet for used junk, she needs it more than you and that's enough.

Unless you think she's a hoarder, I would feel bad encouraging that.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3286 on: January 06, 2020, 10:36:09 AM »
I'm going to repost my Craigslist ad for about 3,000 sheets of cardstock (thick paper you can make into cards, or do whatever with). I have already sold about 3,000 sheets of this stuff, but the buyers are few and far between.

3,000 sheets translates into 2 big paper grocery bags full.  I charge 1 cent per sheet. Not gonna donate them, not yet anyway, lol.   

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3287 on: January 06, 2020, 01:52:39 PM »
As I took down holiday decorations over the weekend, I was mindful of storing unwanted things for another year.  Our very old tree top angel finally bit the dust, so into the garbage it went.  Four gifts I received and won't use or re-gift went into the newly started donation box along with a few other small items.  This year I want to finish purging my home office desk and finalize the closet organization, and tackle the coat closet shelves.

Something fun:  We're invited to a white elephant party this coming weekend.  I gathered unused and never used key rings (DH donated an additional 3) and put them into a recycled lidded jar.  I'll wrap it up to look like a bottle of wine.  ;)

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3288 on: January 06, 2020, 02:06:33 PM »
My husband loves an uncluttered house, so we've decided to try to be net negative on non-consumables into our house this year, if we can.  He started a spreadsheet and everything already :)  We're including outgrown baby clothes that we get rid of, so I think it's going to be simpler than I initially thought, but we're also keeping track per person.  I'm pretty excited.

So far I've gotten rid of a few "I don't like them, but keep them just in case I run out of all of my other clothes" shirts, some skinny jeans that ABSOLUTELY do not fit, a lot of baby things (she's outgrown her baby tub, her swing, her bassinet, a lot of clothes, the bumbo, etc), and some Christmas decorations.  It's a good start to the year, and I'm interested to see if we can keep it up.  DH has discarded some threadbare shirts and a pair of socks, but he's already down to just basics for clothes, so we'll have to move on to the rest of the house if he wants to purchase any things this year.

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #3289 on: January 06, 2020, 04:31:57 PM »
Made a sweeping decision and got rid of all my old body lotions. The only time I picked those up were to wipe the dust off. The newest one was already nearly 2 years old... clearly wasn't using it. Gave some hair products to my sister (who tried to talk me into buying a hair straightener). Also been selling some boardgames that we've finished and won't be replaying. Gave back a set of borrowed books - I just couldn't get through them, didn't hold my attention.

All in all, pretty good start to the year.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #3290 on: January 06, 2020, 06:45:44 PM »
I'm going to repost my Craigslist ad for about 3,000 sheets of cardstock (thick paper you can make into cards, or do whatever with). I have already sold about 3,000 sheets of this stuff, but the buyers are few and far between.

3,000 sheets translates into 2 big paper grocery bags full.  I charge 1 cent per sheet. Not gonna donate them, not yet anyway, lol.   

Would you consider an alternative to donating...would you give them to a teacher?  Folks like that often need craft supplies, and work with a tight budget.  And you know they aren't trying to resell them, they will definitely use them (if they take them).

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3291 on: January 06, 2020, 07:55:18 PM »
I've made some progress:
-Put 2 fleeces into the donation bag (15+ years old, too small)
-Put 20+ DVDs into the donation bag

Decided to return two items I received as gifts. I'll drop them off at UPS this weekend. Clutter blocked from coming in!

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3292 on: January 07, 2020, 04:17:23 AM »
Someone gave me a desktop computer while ago, it was surplus to their requirements. Looks awesome in my office area, but has only been on ONE time because I have a laptop. It's time to go so I'm returning it to the person who gave it to me, and it will possibly go to one of their family members instead. Anyone want to bet that the laptop will die within days of the desktop return???

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3293 on: January 07, 2020, 12:21:31 PM »
Ok, does anyone here know of a good, reliable way to pass on baby gear? 

I have a baby swing, a floor play mat, and a baby bathtub, all in good condition, but I can't get rid of them!  Once Upon a Child didn't want them (they don't take bath items, the play mat was missing a hanging toy, and I'm not sure why they didn't want the swing), but none of the thrift stores around here accept items "like that".  I don't know anyone currently pregnant who doesn't already have kids and all the gear they want already.

I really really don't want everything to go to the dump, as they're all in perfect working condition, but other than listing them for like $1 on FB marketplace (which is flooded with baby gear) or on Freecycle, I don't know how to get them out of my house. 

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3294 on: January 07, 2020, 04:25:09 PM »

RR,   I have 3 slow cookers (crock pots) I inherited  from my gf !  I use one of them often. I was curious about the instantPots, but am resisting the urge to take in another item. I should probably donate one of crock pots, but it's too much fun keeping them as spares, lol.   

My 7 quart slow cooker cracked so I tossed it out. I have an Instant Pot and thought I could do without a slow cooker replacement. I used the IP to cook a soup slow cooker mode and just didn't like it. I previously had an oval slow cooker and the IP is round. After cooking my soup, I decided I wanted a new slow cooker (7 Quart) and I am getting rid of my IP. I don't really find the IP to be that great. I like using my oven, air fryer, microwave and slow cooker. I just don't use the IP much. I have made yogurt and that is a good feature, but I end up tossing out yogurt because I can't use up as much as I make. So, the IP is out the door! Strange how some people love the IP but I love the slow cooker!

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3295 on: January 07, 2020, 05:47:02 PM »

I have a baby swing, a floor play mat, and a baby bathtub, all in good condition, but I can't get rid of them!  Once Upon a Child didn't want them (they don't take bath items, the play mat was missing a hanging toy, and I'm not sure why they didn't want the swing), but none of the thrift stores around here accept items "like that".  I don't know anyone currently pregnant who doesn't already have kids and all the gear they want already.

I really really don't want everything to go to the dump, as they're all in perfect working condition, but other than listing them for like $1 on FB marketplace (which is flooded with baby gear) or on Freecycle, I don't know how to get them out of my house.

I  can relate, Chaskavitch.

I think everyone wants brand new stuff for their kids (OK, understandable).

I tried to give away for free, a used stroller, and a used crib mattress. No one responded to my Craigslist ad!  I was trying to drop them off at Goodwill in the back, and a clerk ran and out and sternly  barked "No, we don't take those!!'

I finally found out the Salvation Army near me takes baby stuff, and I dropped them off there.

Good luck!

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3296 on: January 07, 2020, 05:57:39 PM »

Would you consider an alternative to donating...would you give them to a teacher?  Folks like that often need craft supplies, and work with a tight budget.  And you know they aren't trying to resell them, they will definitely use them (if they take them).

I may end up doing just that, oneday. One of my two buyers so far was a teacher. She bought about 1,000 or so. 

The other person was a crafter, and bought 2 big bags of it. She paid me my full price, which I think was $22, ( 2 cents a sheet back then) and at first only took one bag. I had to  talk her into taking the other bag, which was included as part of the deal!   So glad I wasn't stuck with that second bag.   

But, yes, getting back to your idea, thanks, I may end up doing that. It's more satisfying to meet the person you're giving the stuff away to, than making an anonymous store donation.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3297 on: January 07, 2020, 07:12:26 PM »

Womens shelters or church groups might be a place to start.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3298 on: January 08, 2020, 08:18:49 AM »

Ditto.  And our local Kiwanis started an annual "Community baby shower" which accepts new and gently used baby and toddler items which has been very popular.  Donations are given to new moms as well as foster care moms and grandparents who are suddenly taking care of young grandchildren.  They're grateful to get it.

Is there a "211" info service in your area?  They would know of an appropriate recipient.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3299 on: January 08, 2020, 08:52:32 AM »

Ditto.  And our local Kiwanis started an annual "Community baby shower" which accepts new and gently used baby and toddler items which has been very popular.  Donations are given to new moms as well as foster care moms and grandparents who are suddenly taking care of young grandchildren.  They're grateful to get it.

Is there a "211" info service in your area?  They would know of an appropriate recipient.

Thanks for all the good ideas!  I'll look into more local stuff, but when I was searching the internet, I did find Kind Connect with Realities for Children, which aggregates needs from a few different local organizations that help children in need and their families or foster care - things like living room lamps, beds, bedding, kitchen items, etc.  They don't need baby stuff right now, but I'm donating a bed frame, and they're even picking it up!  One giant thing out of my garage to someone who actually needs it, hooray :)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!