Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1249478 times)

LinneaH

• Bristles
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #4200 on: October 19, 2020, 12:41:05 PM »
So, today was moving day for me. Moving went really well, the guys were very efficient, and also very nice, both polite and funny. Also, I had cleaners from the same company, and they were really good and nice as well. I was a bit late vs my planning, but I made lot of progress yesterday, which meant moving went really quick, 3 hours loading from the house, going to the storage unit and loading, and the unloading at my apartment. Short distances to drive but still. When I was complaining of 'I have too many boxes', movers said I had very little stuff :-) They did not think they could fit all in one go as they had a small truck, but they did.

Then I had to clean out some things in the garden and the garage and go to the dump, as exH was "having a fever" so he could not do his part... Well, I am not surprised so I am not too angry, I just pushed on to get it done, and I managed. I do believe he has a slight fever BUT as my lovely neighbour said "well, if you had a fever, you'd be here anyway to get it done".

However, it was aftyer 7 pm before I was in the apartment and I am really tired and sore so I just made the bed (I had prepared so I didn't have to search for sheets etc) and ate a bit. No further unpacking today. Will shower and go to bed at 9pm :-D.

I am off work tomorrow as well and will start unpacking. Also, I need to get rid of stuff :-D . Guess I am in the right place then in this thread :-D.

Also, even though my apartment is a total mess, I am very, very happy :-D

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4201 on: October 19, 2020, 12:58:32 PM »
Yay, @LinneaH, it’s done!  Now you can take your time in getting properly settled.  Hope you’re happy there.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4202 on: October 19, 2020, 01:46:31 PM »
Congrats @LinneaH ! Awesome progress towards your new future

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4203 on: October 19, 2020, 01:48:51 PM »
Excellent stuff @LinneaH and congratulations on the new apartment that you will get to make just right for you.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4204 on: October 19, 2020, 02:15:31 PM »
Yay LinneaH! So much hard work, so much badassity.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #4205 on: October 19, 2020, 07:46:38 PM »
Yay, you did it!  Onward!

Then I had to clean out some things in the garden and the garage and go to the dump, as exH was "having a fever" so he could not do his part... Well, I am not surprised so I am not too angry, I just pushed on to get it done, and I managed. I do believe he has a slight fever BUT as my lovely neighbour said "well, if you had a fever, you'd be here anyway to get it done".

As your neighbor pointed out, your ex is showing his quality.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4206 on: October 20, 2020, 07:06:00 AM »
Also, even though my apartment is a total mess, I am very, very happy :-D

Yay!!

Got rid of an old pot that has had no handle for a very long time.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4207 on: October 21, 2020, 01:43:06 PM »
Those other two skeins are still here and the selling site allows re-listing once a week. It's been longer than that, so I've re-listed. This prompted me to re-list a Craigslist item as well. So maybe this week something will sell!

The Craigslist item is gone! And the person was a pleasure to deal with.

Got an inquiry on one of the remaining skeins of yarn, hopefully it will sell soon. The buyer does not seem as motivated as the previous buyer, so we'll see.

Yesterday took old modem #1 to the shipping store. Had to stand outside in the blazing sun (last heat wave of the year, most likely), felt like the sun was going to ignore my clothing by the end. But it was fine, because that was required to keep the number of customers in the store down, which feels safe in this pandemic. I complimented the clerk when it was my turn on the good job he and his associates were doing to abide by those rules. He said that he's had customers get very upset, including nurses!!! Was glad to be able to let him know that there are those who feel differently.

Took old modem #2 to the Internet store to switch it out for one that works better. The clerk there told me that his spirit animal is Deadpool, lol!

After that, I was left with various cables that neither company wanted back, and those are in the donation box. Should be no more mucking about with modems until next Spring, when the lease is up. Yay!

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #4208 on: October 22, 2020, 10:27:25 AM »
I am unpacking and have given away some "moving boxes" (what's the right wording in English? Those are the proper sturdy ones from a moving company). People are happy to get them for free, I could maybe get a dollar per box, but rather people just take them so they disappear from my apartment. I'm hoping that if I give them away every person will take few more :-).

Also, I put up a give away ad for a bathroom cupboard and a shelf for hanging clothes in the hallway. I had to take them down before painting the walls, they are not bad, just boring and not at all what I want. So I decided they will not come up again, I can wait to put something until I find what I want.

And now, I will go back to unpacking some more boxes. I haven't really had much time, but tonight is better so I hope to make some serious progress.

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #4209 on: October 22, 2020, 10:28:12 AM »
Also, you all, thanks for the cheering etc!!

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4210 on: October 22, 2020, 11:30:41 AM »
Moving boxes is exactly right.  I'm so excited about your future and enjoy reading your updates.  How are the kids doing in the new space?

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4211 on: October 22, 2020, 01:17:06 PM »
I am unpacking and have given away some "moving boxes" (what's the right wording in English? Those are the proper sturdy ones from a moving company). People are happy to get them for free, I could maybe get a dollar per box, but rather people just take them so they disappear from my apartment. I'm hoping that if I give them away every person will take few more :-).

Around here, people just post "must take all" when they want to get rid of a large pile, it's a group of similar items, or some items are highly desirable and others not as much.  Then the person who gets them takes what they want and repost.  You might try that.  :)

At the risk of being kicked out of this group, might I also suggest that if you have kids, save some of the big ones though for them to play in.  They are great "toys" even up through tween years in my experience.  Also - save any picture frame boxes as those are gold.  We've been resusing the ones from my folks last move for 15-20 years.  And save some of the big brown paper pads, as those are fabulous for re-use as well (draw a city with roads for little kids, wrap item, etc.).  But absolutely, pass on standard boxes as fast as possible to clear out the space and settle in.  Not worth reselling (new they are $1-2) unless you have expensive specialty boxes like wardrobe boxes.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4212 on: October 23, 2020, 01:28:07 PM »
I have a combination craft room/home office.  It has ample storage for craft supplies and yet that area was overflowing.  Crafts are an area of "aspirational clutter" for me - I do some crafts but I aspire to craft more than my actual time and energy constraints allow, and so I tend to pile up craft supplies with good intentions.  I've all but stopped buying craft supplies (the rule is I can only buy it if it completes something I already have most of the materials for), but I hadn't cleared out the backlog of "probably not going to happen" projects.

So I pulled everything out the other day and sorted.  Kept half a bin of yarn.  Half a bin of fabric.  Made a space for "projects in progress" so I always know where to look when I want to work on something.  Sorted things by type and put them back in the storage space in a more logical order.  Left a few areas empty for kid craft supplies, since those are currently being stored in another overflowing storage area that is less than ideal.

When I was done, I had a big pile of fabric, yarn, and sewing patterns to give away.  I did so via Buy Nothing even though it was more work than just bringing it to the local craft resale store.  It was nice to give stuff to people who had a right away use for my stashed item that was unlikely to be used.

One big project that I am proud of is I organized and cataloged my knitting needles using ravelry's online database.  I have more duplicates than I need because I sometimes would buy a new needle if I wasn't sure I had that one at home, or if I couldn't find it.  Now I have a list of everything I have I can pull up on my phone, which should definitely save me money and hassle.

Anyway, I feel quite accomplished, even though the actual process of reckoning with my past overbuying brought up some shame and frustration with myself.  Decluttering sometimes feels like learning the same lesson lots of different ways - buy less stuff!

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4213 on: October 24, 2020, 08:17:30 AM »
Did another pass at the entryway closet this morning.  I've previously cleaned/organized/decluttered this closet a couple times before, but I still found 13 items that no longer live in there.  Two got moved to new places and the rest got given away.  I also have a small "ask spouse" pile for her to go through.

I find decluttering storage spaces to have great "bang for your buck" because then there are places to put other things away!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4214 on: October 24, 2020, 08:53:52 AM »
I went through other child's dresser, and cleaned out & organized a bunch of stuff. Found a few things to sell (new shinguard sleeves, x2)  & a bunch to donate. It's so much easier to see what he has. I also need to remember that they just wear so many fewer items these days. They have a few top shirts & shorts, and rotate through those. Everyone is also growing like a weed, so best not to invest in too much in any one size.

As for today, we need to re-organize & shuffle around our formal living room (it's really a poorly designed space to start with), as we purchased an elliptical machine. I work out a lot, and need an indoor option sometimes. The furniture needs to be moved around, & I'm hoping to get rid of a giant cabinet. It's my husband's, so let's see what he says about that.

I sold a sweater I never wear on eBay, so will get that packaged & mailed out today as well. Junk out, money in.

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #4215 on: October 25, 2020, 01:45:37 AM »
Moving boxes is exactly right.  I'm so excited about your future and enjoy reading your updates.  How are the kids doing in the new space?

Thanks!
They are absolutely doing well. We have had some very rainy days, so mostly staying indoors, and not everything is unpacked, but they are fine. Today we are getting a large soft rug for their 'play/gaming-room', one they have choosen themselves (and agreed on :-) and it looks nice), and they are also very happy w/having a sofa in there. It does make it more of a 'bigger kids' room, they are 9 and almost 8 and are going from playing w/cars etc to playing Xbox etc with each other and when they have friends over. I think we will be able to reduce the amount of small crap in there pretty soon :-).

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #4216 on: October 25, 2020, 02:10:44 AM »

Around here, people just post "must take all" when they want to get rid of a large pile, it's a group of similar items, or some items are highly desirable and others not as much.  Then the person who gets them takes what they want and repost.  You might try that.  :)

At the risk of being kicked out of this group, might I also suggest that if you have kids, save some of the big ones though for them to play in.  They are great "toys" even up through tween years in my experience.  Also - save any picture frame boxes as those are gold.  We've been resusing the ones from my folks last move for 15-20 years.  And save some of the big brown paper pads, as those are fabulous for re-use as well (draw a city with roads for little kids, wrap item, etc.).  But absolutely, pass on standard boxes as fast as possible to clear out the space and settle in.  Not worth reselling (new they are $1-2) unless you have expensive specialty boxes like wardrobe boxes.

I have now given away 25 moving boxes! So happy to have them out, it makes it much easier to continue unpacking.
Yes 'must take all' is what I normally use w/something like this, I put it up on local Facebook group as give away, with that condition.
I was contacted by a very young Polish couple who were extremely nice and v. thankful. They were so happy and couldn't believe I didn't want any money (they got 10 boxes as it was all I had that day). I got the impression they did not have that much money so I am very happy I could help them w/this - that is the best payment I could get. And getting the bulky boxes out of course.

I don't have any non-standard boxes, but I agree with you @Captain FIRE I will keep a couple for the kids to play with, but that will be later on when more stuff is packed away.  I still have some boxes to unpack... And I will keep some of the big sheet wrapping paper, I did not think about it for drawing, but that is really good.

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #4217 on: October 25, 2020, 02:21:05 AM »
About moving boxes:
I had the comment from a colleague: 'Remember to keep boxes to keep stuff in your storage!'. Not sure about other countries, but in Sweden, when you live in an apartment, you normally have a storage unit in the attic or basement of the building, you put your own padlock on it. I have a very nice, clean and light storage unit where I live now, larger than I need, but for now it is good to have and it is messy as I sort out things.

However, when fully settled, I do not plan to keep boxes of stuff there... I have one box for Christmas and Easter decorations, that one can go there. Then I will have items like a suitcase, some bulkier outdoor items when not in season, a couple of extra chairs, lots of outdoor and seedling pots in the winter and my summer/winter car tires. I expect this will fit w/o any problems, there are also some shelves in there so good for keeping order. But I do not want to have boxes of stuff... Of course I will own things like some bigger size kids clothing, some winter clothing, my sewing machine and fabric, but I fully expect this to fit in the storage inside the apartment. I am lucky enough to have tons of built in storage in the apartment so I will not need a lot of 'storage furniture', I think this type will mainly be needed in the kids room for Lego etc.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4218 on: October 25, 2020, 07:23:23 AM »
About moving boxes:
I had the comment from a colleague: 'Remember to keep boxes to keep stuff in your storage!'. Not sure about other countries, but in Sweden, when you live in an apartment, you normally have a storage unit in the attic or basement of the building, you put your own padlock on it. I have a very nice, clean and light storage unit where I live now, larger than I need, but for now it is good to have and it is messy as I sort out things.

However, when fully settled, I do not plan to keep boxes of stuff there... I have one box for Christmas and Easter decorations, that one can go there. Then I will have items like a suitcase, some bulkier outdoor items when not in season, a couple of extra chairs, lots of outdoor and seedling pots in the winter and my summer/winter car tires. I expect this will fit w/o any problems, there are also some shelves in there so good for keeping order. But I do not want to have boxes of stuff... Of course I will own things like some bigger size kids clothing, some winter clothing, my sewing machine and fabric, but I fully expect this to fit in the storage inside the apartment. I am lucky enough to have tons of built in storage in the apartment so I will not need a lot of 'storage furniture', I think this type will mainly be needed in the kids room for Lego etc.

My storage mostly contains of empty moving boxes as well as boxes for my kitchen ware. I have moved a lot during the years and have never got rid of the boxes as I have space in storage. I also have a suitcase, some carpets, paintcans and sometimes sport equipment there. So while my neighbours always seems to store a lot of crap in their storage my cointains mainly of empty boxes. This allows me to pack my stuff in less than 24 hours when it is time to move.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4219 on: October 25, 2020, 07:30:07 AM »
@LinneaH - the storage is a great idea. We similarly keep bulky things in our storage area (it's our attic). We have one box of Christmas stuff, skis for 4 people, etc. Our suitcases fit in our hall closet. We do know plenty of people who have a storage unit, but we don't need/want that.

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #4220 on: October 25, 2020, 09:42:23 AM »

I was contacted by a very young Polish couple who were extremely nice and v. thankful. They were so happy and couldn't believe I didn't want any money (they got 10 boxes as it was all I had that day). I got the impression they did not have that much money so I am very happy I could help them w/this - that is the best payment I could get. And getting the bulky boxes out of course.

After I moved, I also gave away all my moving boxes.  I don't know for sure, but I got the inkling that the woman I gave them to may have been trying to move very quickly - maybe a domestic violence situation?  No matter what the reason, I was happy to be able to make her move easier and cheaper.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4221 on: October 25, 2020, 11:20:19 AM »
When I moved in 3 years ago, I kept some of the boxes and put them in the back of the closet. My sister was here a few weeks ago, and she just moved yesterday. I sent her home with all those boxes. Still need to rearrange the closet where they were, but honestly, that closet is a mess anyway because of a house project so I'm just leaving it for now.

Had a woman come by today for the rock pile in the backyard. It will be nice not to have to shovel snow around it this winter. Need to go sweep up the dirt on the concrete. Also had someone take a good chunk of the dirt pile, so that's under control sufficiently for winter.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4222 on: October 25, 2020, 08:01:58 PM »
I never keep moving boxes anymore. I used to, but there are so many boxes available out there on Buy Nothing Groups, Next-door, etc, beside the usual liquor store and grocery store options. (Wouldn't work for an emergency move, though.)

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4223 on: October 26, 2020, 12:20:51 PM »
I never keep moving boxes anymore. I used to, but there are so many boxes available out there on Buy Nothing Groups, Next-door, etc, beside the usual liquor store and grocery store options. (Wouldn't work for an emergency move, though.)

I just fold them up flat and keep them for future use. I have a bunch of them pushed against a wall in the basement. Very efficient. Doesn't take up much space at all.

On the other hand, yes, I have recycled a bunch of huge boxes that appliances came in. 

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4224 on: October 26, 2020, 05:13:22 PM »

The Craig giveth and the Craig taketh away :)

Where I currently live, it's easy to scavenge discarded, clean boxes from the 6 dumpster-sized recycle bins pretty much any weekend. I am grateful for this, as the apartment has very limited storage space.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4225 on: October 27, 2020, 08:31:21 PM »
Got a new clothing item in the mail. Once I made sure it fit, I wrapped up the one that didn't but I'd been making work for a while, and mailed it off to a specialized charity. No keeping it for just in case. I have exactly the number I need now and that drawer is just full, not stuffed.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4226 on: October 27, 2020, 08:35:38 PM »

The Craig giveth and the Craig taketh away :)

Where I currently live, it's easy to scavenge discarded, clean boxes from the 6 dumpster-sized recycle bins pretty much any weekend. I am grateful for this, as the apartment has very limited storage space.

I don't like to have them hanging around. Like you said, when I need them, they're easy to get. Two days ago I got an internet order in two giant boxes with *SIX* smaller boxes inside each one. Then a large Amazon shipping box blew into my driveway on a very windy day. So boxes are literally being delivered to me, I don't need to keep any! :)

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4227 on: October 28, 2020, 03:30:06 PM »
Some good decluttering work is going on, well done everyone.

I'm still at it. The last couple of weeks I have been through a couple of rooms, but the volume of discards has decreased: I still have just 2 boxes to donate that I am slowly filling. Previously I have collected a car load in a short space of time.  I think I'm winning :).

This week I rid myself of a life time collection of buttons. You know, the spare buttons you get when you buy a garment. Mother always said to never through away buttons because its good to have spares. She sewed, I don't. I can't remember when I used one of those spare buttons. I felt naughty but victorious when I let them go!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4228 on: October 28, 2020, 05:07:49 PM »
We have cleared up two corners of our bedroom - I got rid of a clothes rail that wasn't working to control the floordrobe and Ofpym simplified how many basses he had out so now it's feeling so much clearer.

The new coffee tavle/shoeracks are really helping to prevent the piles of shoes all over the living room so there are two long term irritants resolved.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4229 on: October 28, 2020, 05:13:42 PM »
I've actually been selling a bit more on eBay, so I've gotten a few things out of the house. A couple of makeup samples & an ugly holiday sweater. Junk out, money in.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4230 on: October 28, 2020, 06:43:08 PM »
Threw out an old, beat up phone case that I took off the old, beat up phone with the now loose power port.

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4231 on: October 28, 2020, 06:59:01 PM »

This week I rid myself of a life time collection of buttons. You know, the spare buttons you get when you buy a garment. Mother always said to never through away buttons because its good to have spares. She sewed, I don't. I can't remember when I used one of those spare buttons. I felt naughty but victorious when I let them go!

I thought if you got rid of those buttons, you didn't get to go to heaven! Lol! 

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4232 on: October 28, 2020, 07:24:22 PM »

I thought if you got rid of those buttons, you didn't get to go to heaven! Lol!

Bugger.. too late now they're gone.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4233 on: October 29, 2020, 08:29:50 AM »
Put 5 more items on Craigslist. Hopeful.

Tidying up here and there, moving stuff around to take up less space.

Found an unusual piece of furniture under other clutter. A small coffee table with a 2-drawer cabinet mounted to one half of it.  Maybe I'll put it out front with a free sign.   

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4234 on: October 29, 2020, 08:40:50 AM »
Posting to note an item that you *don't* want to get rid of:  some old towels.  I had a mini-flood in my kitchen this week, and of course the first thing I reached for was 2 old towels I had on hand.  So please learn from my experience.

I know this thread is about decluttering, but we all have those messy emergencies where a few old towels or rags really comes in handy. 
Minimalism is good, practicality is better.    Pardon the interruption, please continue decluttering!

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4235 on: October 29, 2020, 11:18:44 AM »
Posting to note an item that you *don't* want to get rid of:  some old towels.  I had a mini-flood in my kitchen this week, and of course the first thing I reached for was 2 old towels I had on hand.  So please learn from my experience.

I know this thread is about decluttering, but we all have those messy emergencies where a few old towels or rags really comes in handy. 
Minimalism is good, practicality is better.    Pardon the interruption, please continue decluttering!

So true.  I actually brought home 2 ratty hand towels I found at a relative's place because I'm forever washing floors with 3 pets.  I have 2 kinds of wet mops, but these are just easier.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4236 on: October 29, 2020, 10:57:53 PM »

Agree! I have a stack of old towels and some cloth nappies from my kids ( ie25 years old) in a some open shelving in my hallway. So handy for 3 dogs and general messes. I am NOT decluttering them, but at some point I want them out of the hallway..I'm trying to find a vacant spot somewhere that is equally accessible.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4237 on: October 30, 2020, 05:16:15 AM »
Rainy day here. While looking through all the coats and slickers hanging on the wall by the front
door, I came across two coats that were dirty but cleanable, then saw that they both had big tears
in them. Tossed em both!  Coat rack less packed now. 

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4238 on: October 30, 2020, 03:09:24 PM »

Agree! I have a stack of old towels and some cloth nappies from my kids ( ie25 years old) in a some open shelving in my hallway. So handy for 3 dogs and general messes. I am NOT decluttering them, but at some point I want them out of the hallway..I'm trying to find a vacant spot somewhere that is equally accessible.

Yep! Though for certain messes, I use paper towels. It's pretty much the only thing I use paper towels for though.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4239 on: October 30, 2020, 05:56:53 PM »
Sold a couple of items on FB today. I had gotten them for free to refinish but over a month went by and I didn't, so off they went to their new home. And I made a profit on them.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #4240 on: October 31, 2020, 05:35:55 AM »

Yep! Though for certain messes, I use paper towels. It's pretty much the only thing I use paper towels for though.

Paper towels FTW.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4241 on: October 31, 2020, 03:06:13 PM »
I can't believe I actually have some success to post!  I spent about an hour and a half in the basement.  Most of it was just putting summer things away and rearranging a bit, but I broke down a huge pile of random boxes, some left over from moving, some that have just accumulated.  We have a trip planned tomorrow that will take us past a recycling drop off wagon so it should be gone quickly! I took two grocery bags of trash out.  Pleased that there wasn't a whole lot of trash. 

I also cleaned and sorted the spice cabinet and put down the shelf liner I bought in the summer. I'm slowly but surely getting it through the whole kitchen.  Not much to throw out there, but now I'm refreshed on what we have and I moved a packet of cider spices to the front so we'll use them up. 

I installed an extra smoke detector we've had laying around since we moved in. We already have plenty to pass the local fire departments inspection, but I figured if we have it, we might as well use it.  Now it's not laying on the basement steps waiting to trip one of us. 

Why does my spouse fill the basement steps with stuff!?!  I recycled or found homes for all of it!  Amazing.

There are so many more little things on my list, but I need to stop for the day.  Hoping I can pick up that momentum again soon.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4242 on: November 01, 2020, 09:35:07 AM »
Micro decluttering here and there. Throwing out some stuff, donating some. Will make myself pick out at least one cardboard box in the basement stash to add to tomorrow's recycling pickup.   

edit to add:  while going through the garage shelves I found some preserves from years ago. Took them inside and put them in the fridge and forgot about them.

Yesterday I finally opened one up. Blueberry jam from 1991. Yes, 1991. Still good!  Had some on toast.  Will sell the empty jar at flea market next year.   

« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 09:39:37 AM by slackmax »

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #4243 on: November 01, 2020, 09:53:22 AM »
Spent several hours this weekend deep cleaning my living room and kitchen. Mostly decluttered a ton of dust and grime, but did get rid of a few odds and ends. I also managed to store a few things better, so there is less stuff out for me to look at. The visual change is small, but it's made a big impact in how I feel being in the space.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4244 on: November 01, 2020, 09:54:21 AM »
Changed over my dresser to winter wardrobe and put away the summer stuff - while doing the transfer, I pulled my three oldest/most worn out sweaters and set them aside.  If I don't miss them within a month or two, they'll go in the donate box.  I like to do this with items I'm not sure about, ever since I donated something that I later realized I didn't have enough of, and had to buy another.

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #4245 on: November 01, 2020, 11:42:56 AM »
I've had a bit of unintentional decluttering, as I discovered a tribe of carpet beetles had been feasting in my linen closet... Most items were fine, as I switch out my sheets often, but an extra blanket and two pillows were thoroughly chewed out. Had to toss those, washed the rest on high.

Carpet beetles suck... you don't see them until you look for them and when you do... they're suddenly everywhere!

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4246 on: November 01, 2020, 01:24:27 PM »
Listed a couple kitchen items on Friday, and sold a blender today - putting me over $1000 made on FB Marketplace since February.

Still disappointed no one is interested in my glassware yet.  But I'm loving the new space in my cabinets while the extras are in the "for sale" room.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4247 on: November 02, 2020, 05:03:57 AM »
Micro decluttering here and there. Throwing out some stuff, donating some. Will make myself pick out at least one cardboard box in the basement stash to add to tomorrow's recycling pickup.   

edit to add:  while going through the garage shelves I found some preserves from years ago. Took them inside and put them in the fridge and forgot about them.

Yesterday I finally opened one up. Blueberry jam from 1991. Yes, 1991. Still good!  Had some on toast.  Will sell the empty jar at flea market next year.   

How many boxes do you have stashed, and what for?

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4248 on: November 02, 2020, 07:55:06 AM »

How many boxes do you have stashed, and what for?

How many? Oh, about 50, I guess. But many are packed inside other boxes, so as not to take up as much room. I have various sizes, from small to large.  Yeah, too many, perhaps, but way less than I had a while ago. Every once in a while, I have use for one.  I keep them around for 'just in case'. 

I picked out two big ones this morning for the recycling.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #4249 on: November 02, 2020, 08:15:41 AM »
This weekend flew by.  I did so many little tidying jobs and while nothing large left our house, so many little bits and bobs found the right way out (compost, recycling or landfill) including a number of mysterious items from the freezer.