Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1254333 times)

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #2650 on: July 07, 2019, 08:08:54 PM »
Someone just came and picked up a bag of gift wrapping stuff. It's amazing how much space I've cleared by using up / giving away / throwing out this sort of stuff. Next is probably stationary. All this stuff I've been through before but not touched in 18 months so...

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2651 on: July 07, 2019, 08:58:48 PM »
Week 2 report:

8. Teeny tiny Pony bike that came with my house.  What kid could ride a 15" at the seat 2 wheeler?  No one that small would have the necessary balance.  Gone to thrift store.
9. 23 plastic plant pots - thrift store also.
10. Golf club thrown over my fence.  Put aside for animal rescue garage sale.
11. Silver necklace - thrift store.
12. Pair of shoe insoles - thrift store.
13. Pair of sandals - thrift store.
14. One winter glove, also thrown over my fence. Thrift store.  (What's wrong with you people?  At least give me something useful!)

So far, still easy.  Why didn't I start this months ago?  One item a day is so doable.

You are doing great on the decluttering SunnyDays but why on earth are you giving a pair of shoe insoles and one glove to the thrift store? They won't sell or even give these away. Why not throw them away instead of making someone else do it?

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2652 on: July 07, 2019, 09:00:15 PM »
Took the china and another box of random items to the thrift store, less than 12 hours after I put them in the car! I didn't drive them around in my trunk for weeks! There's a lovely empty spot in my closet where the box was. I'll probably put another empty box in there soon, so that I can toss things into it as I realize they need to go. But I'm really getting close to exactly where I want to be with my stuff.

kaposzta

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Years Until FIRE Calculator
« Reply #2653 on: July 08, 2019, 03:10:55 AM »
Last week DW and I did the following:
- Throw paper trash out from one of our rooms
- Throw out some old magazines and boxes
- Throw out empty bottles

My goal is to get rid of at least 1 unnecessary stuff every day.

Next steps:
- check all frickin' empty boxes in our apartment (keep them for storage or throw out)
- clear out our "storage" room (it shouldn't be a storage room :D)
- check my old clothes one by one (and asking myself: would I pay for this piece in the store, or not? if not, I get rid of it)
- check my bookshelf again and sell or throw out the bad / unnecessary books
- check my shoes (I have an incredibly high number of shoes now) and get rid of the ones with holes in them :D
- open the dreaded drawer packed with cables, old computer stuff, etc. and keep only the really necessary stuff
- decide whether I should buy a new battery for my old laptop (currently we're using a better one), sell it or keep it as a backup

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2654 on: July 08, 2019, 04:03:12 AM »
Church fete next week, and the bric-a-brac stall has so far benefitted from a dog basket, a laundry basket, a rug, cushions, tablecloths, a laundry rack, some costume jewellery and various other things I've already forgotten. My guest bedroom is much improved as a result.  Anything that doesn't sell will be passed on to a local charity that runs activities for people with disabilities.

(It's interesting how quick and easy it is to forget items which have been passed on.)

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2655 on: July 08, 2019, 09:02:28 AM »
Week 2 report:

8. Teeny tiny Pony bike that came with my house.  What kid could ride a 15" at the seat 2 wheeler?  No one that small would have the necessary balance.  Gone to thrift store.
14. One winter glove, also thrown over my fence. Thrift store.  (What's wrong with you people?  At least give me something useful!)

So far, still easy.  Why didn't I start this months ago?  One item a day is so doable.

You are doing great on the decluttering SunnyDays but why on earth are you giving a pair of shoe insoles and one glove to the thrift store? They won't sell or even give these away. Why not throw them away instead of making someone else do it?

SunnyDays, I've done the one glove donation too!  I feel you!   

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2656 on: July 08, 2019, 09:23:03 AM »
Someone just came and picked up a bag of gift wrapping stuff. It's amazing how much space I've cleared by using up / giving away / throwing out this sort of stuff. Next is probably stationary. All this stuff I've been through before but not touched in 18 months so...

I actually sold some wrapping stuff at the flea market yesterday. I only got 50 cents for it, but that's OK! Happy to be rid of it, and not to the Goodwill.

Every couple of weeks I take some of the stuff in the house down to the flea market and sell it. So far, I've always made at least $10, which is the fee they charge for a table.   

But at this rate, It'll take me years to finally  be decluttered. That's OK, except that I need to have some contractors inside my house soon to do some carpentry work, and that will be embarrassing! 

I'm stressing out about where to move the stuff, to get it out of their way. I guess I'll just have to consolidate it all, and throw out some perfectly good empty boxes. Or maybe I can keep them but stack them in a corner. 

I'm not a hoarder, but I have inherited a hoard that my late girlfriend left me. My OCD thing is not wanting to throw way or donate anything 'useful'. It's emotionally easy for me to sell it, though, even at a very low price.

The good news is that stuff is leaving the house and very little if any new stuff is coming in.   

rivendale

• Stubble
« Reply #2657 on: July 08, 2019, 09:36:02 AM »
Gave my 32 year old brother his school mementos folders. They were being stored at my place because "reasons." I was over it. He did try and leave them at my parents' house,  but they held firm.

Gave away some unused stationery and a brand new, never used photo album to an acquaintance.

I have 4 bags ready to get dropped at the salvation army, but I am waiting to consolidate trips.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2658 on: July 08, 2019, 09:39:19 AM »
Week 2 report:

Many thrift stores sell crap to fabric recyclers.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2659 on: July 08, 2019, 10:28:56 AM »
Well, in my defense, the insoles were new in package, not ripped out of old shoes!  Also, the one glove was in brand new condition and maybe the store could find a match for it.  Worth a try!

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2660 on: July 08, 2019, 12:24:09 PM »
Such a crazy, busy, productive weekend. VVA came again today and picked up a giant load of stuff, with the next pick up already scheduled for next week. Too much really to itemize for VVA here, although I have it all itemized to enter into It's Deductible for taxes next year. This was all stuff like books, clothes, shoes, toys, misc house items.

In addition to the GIANT PILE that went out today we also decluttered the following this past weekend:
-furniture my sister-in-law wanted, and some decorative stuff
-boy's suit my son will never wear (buy nothing)
-old Wii games and controllers (buy nothing)
-preschool toys, two giant toy boxes, two booster seats (buy nothing)
-so much old art stuff, recycled or trashed or donated as appropriate

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2661 on: July 08, 2019, 03:51:04 PM »

My OCD thing is not wanting to throw way or donate anything 'useful'. It's emotionally easy for me to sell it, though, even at a very low price.

Yeah, I used to be that way too, but after many garage sales and the amount of work that goes with them for very little profit (and still ending up with 3/4 of the stuff left), I just bit the bullet and started giving stuff away.  Once it was gone, it was such a relief and I really never thought about the stuff again.  As long as I can see it, I still hem and haw and find reasons why I like it and should keep it, but out of sight and out of mind.  Once you realize how much time and mental energy you spend on things that are worthless TO YOU, the easier it is to let go.  The amount you might receive for selling things is usually pretty small compared to the time and effort it takes out of your life.

You might consider getting a 2nd hand dealer to come in and give you a price on the whole lot and be done with it.  At some point, it's just time to move on.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2662 on: July 08, 2019, 08:20:33 PM »

My OCD thing is not wanting to throw way or donate anything 'useful'. It's emotionally easy for me to sell it, though, even at a very low price.

Yeah, I used to be that way too, but after many garage sales and the amount of work that goes with them for very little profit (and still ending up with 3/4 of the stuff left), I just bit the bullet and started giving stuff away.  Once it was gone, it was such a relief and I really never thought about the stuff again.  As long as I can see it, I still hem and haw and find reasons why I like it and should keep it, but out of sight and out of mind.  Once you realize how much time and mental energy you spend on things that are worthless TO YOU, the easier it is to let go.  The amount you might receive for selling things is usually pretty small compared to the time and effort it takes out of your life.

You might consider getting a 2nd hand dealer to come in and give you a price on the whole lot and be done with it.  At some point, it's just time to move on.

Thinking of car boot sales I've done in the past, there can be a bit of community around it, so if slackmax goes every week, so there's a benefits there. Talking to people and making friendships with the regulars could be quite fun.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2663 on: July 09, 2019, 02:08:53 AM »
Finally dropped off two bags of donations to charity, and a bag of soft plastics to recycling.

I suspect there is another bag for charity in the garage that was put in the car with the best of intentions then removed before a trip. That's next on my hit list.

I actually did a little charity store shopping while interstate recently, picked up some beautiful notecards and greeting cards for about $1.50, so that motivated me to actually take in my donations.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2664 on: July 09, 2019, 02:55:10 AM »
Fabric recycling at H&M has been a game changer for our clutter - husband is finding it much easier to let things go if they go to recycling. We are talking worn out stuff that charity does not want and we already have plenty of rags. Four big bundles have gone out.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2665 on: July 09, 2019, 06:19:56 AM »
Fabric recycling at H&M has been a game changer for our clutter - husband is finding it much easier to let things go if they go to recycling. We are talking worn out stuff that charity does not want and we already have plenty of rags. Four big bundles have gone out.

Ooh, do they take undergarments as well?  I definitely have some undies and bras that aren't wearable anymore, but I don't want to just throw them away.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2666 on: July 09, 2019, 06:43:52 AM »

Ooh, do they take undergarments as well?  I definitely have some undies and bras that aren't wearable anymore, but I don't want to just throw them away.

My municipal recycling place has a huge bin called 'textiles'. They take all sorts of things. Old shoes, boots, clothes, rags, hats, you name it. I asked the worker there what happened to all the stuff, and he said it gets sorted through eventually and some is thrown out, some is recycled into who knows what, and some is given to charity.     

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2667 on: July 09, 2019, 07:08:27 AM »

Thinking of car boot sales I've done in the past, there can be a bit of community around it, so if slackmax goes every week, so there's a benefits there. Talking to people and making friendships with the regulars could be quite fun.

You nailed it, Fresh Bread. It's therapeutic for me to do the car boot sales. I would even say 'adventurous', since I'm so INTJ.

SunnyDays, you are right about the low return on investment. I end up putting 80 % of the stuff back into the car at the end of the day, but so far, I still like doing the yard sale thing, and I'm getting rid of stuff. I've already donated a ton of it to Goodwill, anyway. Time will tell. Maybe I'll end up donating a ton more.   

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2668 on: July 09, 2019, 09:16:21 AM »

My municipal recycling place has a huge bin called 'textiles'. They take all sorts of things. Old shoes, boots, clothes, rags, hats, you name it. I asked the worker there what happened to all the stuff, and he said it gets sorted through eventually and some is thrown out, some is recycled into who knows what, and some is given to charity.     

Don't get too excited about H & M "recycling."  There's a show on CBC called Marketplace about clothing waste, and apparently only 1 % of the donations actually get recycled.  It's mostly just a "feel good" for customers.  This show is worth watching - most clothing going to thrift stores ends up in Africa, where it's sold in street markets and the unsold stuff is just burned in landfills.  Makes you never want to shop again.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2669 on: July 09, 2019, 02:14:02 PM »
I worked in a factory years ago and we would get barrels of rags for wiping down stuff. All just cut up clothes. Hahaha, one time a pair of men's jockey underpants were in the barrel. We all got a good laugh that day!

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2670 on: July 12, 2019, 03:06:12 PM »
We're still making progress, as we will continue to do for the next two months...I have VVA scheduled to pick up again on Monday so I'll spend a lot of time this weekend clearing more stuff out. Since my last post we got rid of two large chairs; comfortable but need to be re-upholstered or have a slip cover. We've also cleaned out a bunch of junk on the side yard: broken old outdoor furniture and umbrella, large trash can and sprinkler fittings given to gardener, old materials gone from a small construction project.

My oldest is finally feeling better (long story involving strep AND an allergic med reaction while on vacation with his dad) so he's sorting through the boxes of stuff from his room. I'm hoping for another productive weekend.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2671 on: July 12, 2019, 05:59:43 PM »
Still making slow progress. Council cleanup is booked for the coming week...2 more mattresses and bases will get recycled, and nearly all the the remains of what was  a carport of furniture will go out. The rest has been given away, donated to the goats to climb on or smashed up and put in the skip. Deconstructed an old guinea pig cage ( about 6 foot long) that was collecting leaves on the back deck....relevant parts will go out also. Another large green garbage bag of old clothes and linen was also donated last week.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2672 on: July 12, 2019, 06:57:49 PM »
Cleared out a desk file drawer - mostly old calendars with pretty pictures and lots of dates.  Gone to recycling.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2673 on: July 12, 2019, 07:44:30 PM »
Some wins, some losing ground(ish)-
-Gifted maternity clothes I didn't like/didn't fit well and some boys clothes to another expecting neighbor
-Sold an exercise pen and dog crate we weren't using. $40!
-We're getting a dresser for baby clothes, which will allow them to be properly stored- and as part of this, properly sorted more for quantity at various sizes.
-Losing ground in that we're selling our truck, so everything that was in it is now inside our apartment! Went through trash immediately- old deodorant and protein bars that are better off tossed, etc. But we had a full emergency slash camping kit in there that we'll now need to either consolidate to our car, store, or pass on.  Problem with consolidation is we need room for Husband's work gear for his new job (lots more than the old one!) AND room for a stroller. Gulp. Physics, be on my side! Haha.

Still, I think net we're moving in the right direction =) I suppose you could say going down to one car is a BIG declutter, haha! 1500lbs worth or something ;)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2674 on: July 13, 2019, 02:52:27 AM »
Sorted through my binder of important paperwork and pulled out about an inch-high stack of old insurance policies, out of date rego papers, etc that I no longer need to keep on file.

I'm going to ask if there is a shredder at work (not sure what the deal is since we moved offices).

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2675 on: July 13, 2019, 07:40:31 AM »
Sorted through my binder of important paperwork and pulled out about an inch-high stack of old insurance policies, out of date rego papers, etc that I no longer need to keep on file.

I'm going to ask if there is a shredder at work (not sure what the deal is since we moved offices).

Oh yes! This reminds me, when I was tracking down the title for our truck to sell it, I grabbed a few things that clearly could be shredded now out of the fire safe. I need to go back and slim down all our files. Hmmm, and make one for the baby while I'm at it!

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #2676 on: July 13, 2019, 08:39:54 AM »
"Quote from: slackmax on July 08, 2019, 11:23:03 AM

My OCD thing is not wanting to throw way or donate anything 'useful'. It's emotionally easy for me to sell it, though, even at a very low price. "

Me too! Except for me it's not OCD but MMM  ;)
I've cured this by posting pics on fb marketplace to sell stuff as I go.  I made $45 to clean out some cupboards yesterday.  I'm going to  be home decluttering anyway - this way I feel like I'm getting paid for my time. So it's a switch from thinking that I'm selling stuff at a fraction of what I paid for it - to thinking, hey, I'm getting paid to clean out my cupboards.

Also we have a "Really, really free market" group in our town that sets up in a park and everyone just brings stuff.  Sometimes you get to see the people who pick up your stuff and their reactions.  Gives me the warm fuzzies that I don't get from Value Village.

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #2677 on: July 13, 2019, 08:47:35 AM »
The other thing I find very motivating is to take before and after pictures.
And to commit to doing just 20 mins at a time.  This gets me started; most times I continue, sometimes I don't,  but those 20 min sessions add up.
These tips come from the "Unfuck Your Habitat"website.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 07:44:25 PM by Cannot Wait! »

CrustyBadger

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2678 on: July 13, 2019, 12:08:07 PM »
Major decluttering happening this week in the Badger household.  I had some visiting relatives with teenagers come to help me declutter attic and basement.   it was so nice to just be able to point to things and say "Donate!" "Garbage" "Recycle" and have them whisk away the boxes and bags to the appropriate location.  We did the work the morning recycling was picked up by the town, and the day before big trash day.  So they brought stuff down to the curb in time for the recycling truck; placed donate bags and boxes into my car, and left big trash by the side of the house until the evening when they carried it all down to the curb.  (We live on a big hill so doing all this myself would have been tiring.)

I'm thrilled that my attic and eaves are completely empty now (will be replacing insulation next week).  And even the basement has been emptied a bit of stored items.

I've been reading a really good book for me on home organization called "Organizing Solutions for People with ADHD".    It is full of specific rules for me on how much of something to keep.  The author's suggestions might not be useful for people who have the organization thing under control (like Marie Kondo fans!) but for people like me they are really useful.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2679 on: July 13, 2019, 07:42:09 PM »
Week 3 report:

15. Another paperback - for animal rescue garage sale.
16. Brand new wallet - gifted to me and passed along to relative.
17. Wrecked dog toy - garbage.
18. Cracked plant pot - recycling.
19. Unused frying pan - thrift store.
20. 4 pots of flower bulbs - put on donate table at old work place.

Still pretty easy.  More to go .......

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2680 on: July 13, 2019, 07:45:51 PM »
Oops, one more:

21. 2 dead dustbusters - going to electronic recycling.

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #2681 on: July 13, 2019, 10:58:44 PM »
Finally started dealing with the bag of hard drives and other electronics that's been haunting me for months. I know I want it all to go, but I have to deal with checking and wiping everything first. These are all computer backups that ran out of room. I'd just buy another bigger one and let the old one(s) collect dust. So most of them are redundant beyond the redundancy I build in with my two active hard drives. I'll never pull files off these things, and I hate using them because they require external power sources.

Anyway, tonight I pulled out the first one to check what's on it. I was expecting to just be able to delete everything, but there are some extra files not backed up anywhere else. So I'm letting those transfer and will wipe it in the morning. I knew this would take a while, which is why I've put it off. But I didn't realize it was going to take days/weeks based on the speed of the external hard drive to external hard drive file transfer and the number of files I hoard. So I've got to just get through them one at a time.

I know digital clutter is a problem too, but my files are well organized and I do look back through stuff a lot. My way of dealing with it is to be more selective about files I bring onto my computer. I still accumulate more, but at a much slower rate than I used to.

I've also got an old kindle with either a dead battery or a broken charging port. I got a new one for Christmas last year and don't use the old one anymore, so I just need to wipe it and recycle. But how can you wipe a dead device that won't turn on?? I think I need to suck it up and contact Amazon help. I don't really care about the content but I don't like that it presumably has my Amazon account info on there.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2682 on: July 13, 2019, 11:38:46 PM »

Don't get too excited about H & M "recycling."  There's a show on CBC called Marketplace about clothing waste, and apparently only 1 % of the donations actually get recycled.  It's mostly just a "feel good" for customers.  This show is worth watching - most clothing going to thrift stores ends up in Africa, where it's sold in street markets and the unsold stuff is just burned in landfills.  Makes you never want to shop again.

My understanding from when I looked it up myself is that a tiny percentage actually goes for sale in charity shops /overseas and the majority goes to rags - did the source you watched say the majority was going to landfill? I'm fully intending my stuff to go for rags, it would not get as far as market stalls in Africa unless the sorter is blind, so I really hope that's not happening.

We generally wear our clothes out beyond the charity shop stage, so the issue I was having was the husband was having trouble letting go of almost wearable clothes like work shirts where the collar has rubbed away and the cuffs have ripped. But there's a limit to how many painting shirts and rags we can get through ourselves.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2683 on: July 14, 2019, 01:14:22 AM »
We generally wear our clothes out beyond the charity shop stage, so the issue I was having was the husband was having trouble letting go of almost wearable clothes like work shirts where the collar has rubbed away and the cuffs have ripped. But there's a limit to how many painting shirts and rags we can get through ourselves.

Shirts like that, I offer to my mum.

She is a gifted seamstress, so she cuts them down into cute shirts for herself or dress-ups for my nephews.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2684 on: July 14, 2019, 01:46:23 AM »

Shirts like that, I offer to my mum.

She is a gifted seamstress, so she cuts them down into cute shirts for herself or dress-ups for my nephews.

Also: quilts.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2685 on: July 14, 2019, 06:37:46 AM »
Finally started dealing with the bag of hard drives and other electronics that's been haunting me for months. I know I want it all to go, but I have to deal with checking and wiping everything first. These are all computer backups that ran out of room. I'd just buy another bigger one and let the old one(s) collect dust. So most of them are redundant beyond the redundancy I build in with my two active hard drives. I'll never pull files off these things, and I hate using them because they require external power sources.

Anyway, tonight I pulled out the first one to check what's on it. I was expecting to just be able to delete everything, but there are some extra files not backed up anywhere else. So I'm letting those transfer and will wipe it in the morning. I knew this would take a while, which is why I've put it off. But I didn't realize it was going to take days/weeks based on the speed of the external hard drive to external hard drive file transfer and the number of files I hoard. So I've got to just get through them one at a time.

I know digital clutter is a problem too, but my files are well organized and I do look back through stuff a lot. My way of dealing with it is to be more selective about files I bring onto my computer. I still accumulate more, but at a much slower rate than I used to.

I've also got an old kindle with either a dead battery or a broken charging port. I got a new one for Christmas last year and don't use the old one anymore, so I just need to wipe it and recycle. But how can you wipe a dead device that won't turn on?? I think I need to suck it up and contact Amazon help. I don't really care about the content but I don't like that it presumably has my Amazon account info on there.

Can't you just bang the heck out of the kindle with a hammer, making it unusable? Then take it to electronics recycling? It doesn't have to be functioning to be recycled, does it?     
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 06:40:35 AM by slackmax »

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2686 on: July 14, 2019, 09:23:07 AM »

My understanding from when I looked it up myself is that a tiny percentage actually goes for sale in charity shops /overseas and the majority goes to rags - did the source you watched say the majority was going to landfill? I'm fully intending my stuff to go for rags, it would not get as far as market stalls in Africa unless the sorter is blind, so I really hope that's not happening.

I have the same understanding and I am personally only giving them stuff that you can’t sell in a charityshop. I have noticed the same effect with my mother. I took 4 bags of her stuff there yesterday and a couple of months of ago I took 4 bags and my sister took our old baby clothes a couple of months ago. So I think we have taken about 15 bags that would have gone to trash or been in some boxes in storage.

Need2Save

• Bristles
« Reply #2687 on: July 14, 2019, 10:27:49 AM »
I've been tracking since the beginning of this year towards my goal of purging 500 items from the household for my family this year.  After a lot of momentum in the beginning of the year, it fell off after around month 4 with other priorities including a death in the family and a brief absence from work for a procedure.  But we have kept at it.  Just reached 300 items after this weekend. We took a big trip to our local bulk dump/recycling center.  Felt good to recycle a few random metal items that had been sitting in our garage waiting for such an occasion and we got rid of a used mattress which was recently replaced.

YellowCat

• Bristles
« Reply #2688 on: July 14, 2019, 12:54:39 PM »
Took 3 bags to the Goodwill yesterday-clothes, CDs, DVD’s, assorted other bits & bobs. We’re having our first child in January and the house will be de-cluttered before then, come hell or high water...it’s not actually too bad, since I have a pretty strong minimalism streak, but there are areas that definitely need work. Some are entirely my husband’s, so I’ve given him a deadline to get those spots done by Christmas, and I’m trying to put together a list of the other areas so we can begin checking them off. Some of this is just crap that the previous home owner left behind, so no emotional attachment, just lack of prioritization. Wish me luck!

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #2689 on: July 14, 2019, 09:44:11 PM »
Good luck!

Today I went to attack my shed but basically walked back out again because it was too hot, I could work on something else, I didn’t feel like doing it, blah,  blah, blah.
Then I laughed at myself as I realized that I was NEVER going to FEEL like doing it.  So I stepped back in and got 'er done!  I am so proud of myself.  There was crap in there from my ex husband who left in 2007!

One of my problems is that I am a sucker for free stuff.  I'm trying to internalize that just cuz it didn't cost me anything, doesn't mean it's free....

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2690 on: July 15, 2019, 10:25:48 AM »
We had another hugely productive weekend cleaning out stuff. Our pile for VVA today was so big that we actually put some of it back in the garage for next time because we were clearly over the allotted donation size I'd specified. I really hope they take everything that's out there. I'll set up another pick up date for next week, again.

This weekend we cleaned out:
-6 drawers by the garage...they're not entirely empty, but I made a good first pass
-upstairs hall closet: 1 large box for VVA, some trash and recycling, and packed a box of stuff we'll keep
-my 18 year old's room: worked with him to sort everything (take to college, keep, get rid of) and then boxed up accordingly
-my husband cleaned out most of his tool chest to make sure he's only moving what he wants to keep
-all the corners of our giant master walk in closet; so much random stuff everywhere
-downstairs bathroom drawers and cabinet under sink: got rid of old sunscreens, old first aid kit stuff
-another pass through the pantry
-the top two shelves in the entire kitchen: several things out to donate!
-laundry room cupboards and shelves: not done, but I did finally recycle almost all of my old college notebooks. Seriously pared down our spare linens.
-my husband and I both thinned out our sock and underwear drawers. He also got rid of all the shorts he doesn't wear, and so many old white(ish) t-shirts
-china cabinet drawers and storage: got rid of excess table linen. I donated 58 cloth napkins. Everyone buys them for me; I only kept what I liked. Seriously, mom, I'm glad you're on board, but I don't need more every time I see you (got another 12 from her at Christmas last year!). Also pulled out a large wood bowl we don't use, and placemats
-storage closet by kitchen: got rid of old water bottles, sorted through old kid stuff (old slime...yay).
-upper two shelves in four cabinets by garage cleared out: mostly recycle, e-waste, donate. Very little keep in that pile.

I know there was more. It was a very productive weekend, but I'm exhausted.

I don't see how we can possibly still have so much left to do, but there is still plenty left. We went to our friends' house last night and my husband said it's actually freeing to downsize by so much because you HAVE to be ruthless and not keep everything "just in case" which is what he usually does. I knew I felt that way, but I was glad to hear he did too! He's always been the "keep just in case" one, so I'm glad he's coming around.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2691 on: July 15, 2019, 10:36:06 AM »
3 boxes of random stuff out of the house.
Also I bought new ottomans and the old ones were picked up by someone from BNP within an hour. :)

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #2692 on: July 15, 2019, 11:37:13 AM »
Can't you just bang the heck out of the kindle with a hammer, making it unusable? Then take it to electronics recycling? It doesn't have to be functioning to be recycled, does it?     

I may give that a shot if Amazon can't help me. I'm waiting another few days until the Amazon strike is over, and then I'll see what they say.

At least all the hard drives are empty and ready for recycling now.

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #2693 on: July 16, 2019, 08:53:58 AM »
I have been off the decluttering train for a while, my mental capacity was busy dealing with other things (job loss, husband suddenly thinking he may want a divorce). Things are now better (communication w/DH making him want to work on marriage) but kids are home from school, we have been travelling, and husband is either at work and/or travelling, so I never had time and energy at the same time.

In the last few days I have been planning and starting out a project of clearing out the laundry room, where I have kept A LOT of stuff that should leave the house, only it has been mixed together. There is recycle/trash/give away/charity and a small amount of sell, mainly bigger toys where the kids get a couple of dollars. I have almost given up on selling, it is not worth my time and effort. I only sell if I can get more than $10 on the local FaceBook group and I normally price very low.

Today both kids spent several hours with friends so I had the place to myself. I went through several bags and boxes and got almost all the stuff from laundry room sorted. Kids are now back, with their friends, so those parents can go 1) grocery shopping and 2) to hardware store w/o their kids :-). So I now have four boys here, refusing them to use computer so I will join them to the football field shortly. But first I will load some bags into the car so we can drop off tomorrow morning as we leave the house.

Also, as the other parents came to drop off the kids, I managed to give away one set of rain gear for a younger sibling and a large noisy toy my kids have said they wanted to sell. The parents were really happy to receive but I was happier to give :-D.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2694 on: July 17, 2019, 07:46:02 AM »
Decluttering is now interfacing with home repairing. I have to move lots of clutter away from a corner on 2 floors, in order to allow space for a contractor to work on a leaking french door. But... I guess I can put off the repair for a while longer without further damage.

I've had 2 years to declutter, since my hoarder girlfriend departed this planet,  and I've made great progress (pat on the back) but the place stills looks like an episode from Hoarders. There's just soooo muuuuuch stuff.... I estimate I'm half done at this point. At least 1,000 pounds of paper clutter recycled. Hundreds of knick-knacky things donated to Goodwill.   

I'm currently working in the living room, clearing out that corner. I'm just relocating the clutter to the other side of the room. But I'm finding stuff I can sell also, and putting it aside for my weekly yard sale. Also found some old financial records that I have to look through, and then probably recycle it all.   

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2695 on: July 17, 2019, 02:43:36 PM »
Decluttering is now interfacing with home repairing. I have to move lots of clutter away from a corner on 2 floors, in order to allow space for a contractor to work on a leaking french door. But... I guess I can put off the repair for a while longer without further damage.

I've had 2 years to declutter, since my hoarder girlfriend departed this planet,  and I've made great progress (pat on the back) but the place stills looks like an episode from Hoarders. There's just soooo muuuuuch stuff.... I estimate I'm half done at this point. At least 1,000 pounds of paper clutter recycled. Hundreds of knick-knacky things donated to Goodwill.   

I'm currently working in the living room, clearing out that corner. I'm just relocating the clutter to the other side of the room. But I'm finding stuff I can sell also, and putting it aside for my weekly yard sale. Also found some old financial records that I have to look through, and then probably recycle it all.

No, you can't put it off. Get the leaky doors fixed.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2696 on: July 17, 2019, 06:04:38 PM »

No, you can't put it off. Get the leaky doors fixed.
Yeah.  The main key to keeping a house in good condition is keeping water where it should be.  Fix the damn doors.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2697 on: July 18, 2019, 03:45:32 PM »
Good going Slackmax!  Keep at it-there will be an end to it.  Just be careful that your weekly sales aren’t flagged as a business.  Where I live, we’re only allowed 2 per year.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2698 on: July 18, 2019, 04:19:41 PM »
Another carload of stuff donated.  The end is in sight.

Although as I unpack from the move, I am sure there will be many "Why did I keep this?'" moments.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2699 on: July 18, 2019, 04:20:10 PM »
Success! We can now get a car into the carport :). Nearly all of the old furniture in there has been given away, or this last week the remainder has gone on a council cleanup. A lot of this is from my deceased parents house. @slackmax : we removed >500kg (1100lbs) of paper from their house, so I know how that feels!

I am collecting up a pile of animal cages/bowls etc to donate to RSPCA at some point, as we now only have 1 guinea pig left, but not done sorting yet. And I have a  box of bric a brac slowly filling, also for donation. Not done yet, but progress is being made.