Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1249406 times)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #1900 on: December 29, 2018, 02:02:19 PM »
About five years ago, the pull-out part of our kitchen faucet started malfunctioning (can't remember exactly what).  We liked the faucet, so I bought the same, although slightly updated, model, and ended up just putting the new pull-out piece on the old faucet.  This morning, I finally got around to installing the new faucet!  Old one is gone, and no boxed faucet sitting under the sink.

I was also able to consolidate a couple bulk sized bottles of hand soap and get rid of one.  I'm not sure how we ended up with so much hand soap, but we still have more than a gallon in reserve.

Need2Save

• Bristles
« Reply #1901 on: December 31, 2018, 11:26:32 AM »
Sending my sister some bits and pieces she can use for her back-splash tile job that were leftover from my last project. Yay!
Convinced hubby to go head and release three huge ugly 'awards' he got from work over the years. He would have done it eventually, but why wait? Added a few more towels and blankets and clothes to the donation pile along with a few random things around the house. Threw out several old makeup bits that I didn't notice the last time I sorted through that drawer. Recyled a bunch of random bits that were leftover from when we had an Xbox 360 (which we don't now).  Not sure why they were not discarded at the time.  Threw out one sentimental xmas decoration that had started to get damp rot from being in the basement. It belonged to my deceased father but it was time to let it go.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1902 on: December 31, 2018, 01:12:41 PM »
My paint stash is getting positively small! Used up and took another 3 gallons of primer and paint to the garage to dry before tossing them. I plan to paint the walls in the bedroom, which will use another gallon. The to do list is also shrinking as a result.

More on topic, added 2 bags of Christmas stuff to the go away box, a purse my mom gave me as she doesn't like it, and some other odds and ends. Christmas has still thrown up all over my house, but I like the lights on the (fake) tree, so will leave it alone a while longer. When I take it down, will be doing a bit more culling of ornaments.

On a more serious note, I now have a compelling reason to limit the stuff on the floor - my kitty went blind (getting old sucks). So to help her get around, rearranging is being kept to a minimum, and trying to remove stuff from the floor. There's a big cat bed that used to get a lot of use, and for whatever reason is getting much less use. I may try moving it and see if a different location puts it back in rotation, otherwise will probably donate it to the local shelter.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1903 on: January 02, 2019, 08:15:09 AM »
"Tidying Up" with Marie Kondo is available on netflix, for those among us who want some inspiration!

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1904 on: January 02, 2019, 08:54:01 AM »
"Tidying Up" with Marie Kondo is available on netflix, for those among us who want some inspiration!

You know, Boyfriend and I checked out a couple episodes of this last night. I.... am not sure about this show? The tone seems a little bit self-flagellating. Not on Marie's part, she is fine and I like how she is nonjudgmental. But, like, the first one we watched was the family of 4 who'd moved to an apartment in LA and nobody except the mom ever knew where everything was. It hurt my heart to hear her talking about how she felt responsible for the clutter and disarray, how she was doing a poor job at making her kids feel calm and at home, and essentially felt like a bad mom. When, she's got an able-bodied husband and kids who are of ages where they could be helping, but instead the one kid said something like "I'll basically spam mom with texts until she tells me where {thing I can't find} is." I wanted to yell at the TV, "this is not all your fault! Your family is taking advantage of you!" I actually didn't make it through that entire episode.

Then we watched the one with the young gay couple where the one guy was like, "I need to show my parents through my apartment that I am an adult so that they take my relationship more seriously." That also hurt my heart because I wonder if that would be an issue with his parents if he were straight? Their apartment wasn't even that bad! I don't know, I felt like the tone of the show was, people tidying up in order to manage others' feelings. I would've liked to have seen someone tidy up for themselves. But, I only saw the 2 episodes. Maybe the others aren't like that.

Has anyone else watched it? What do you all think?

I do like the "sparks joy" concept but I told Boyfriend that if I followed that, I would not own any winter clothing! I hate sweaters and boots and coats and gloves..... but, living in Chicago, they are needs so I can't just toss everything. I guess the best I can hope for is, only keep stuff that fits and is warm enough and doesn't, like, have holes in it? I really do hate it all, though. I haven't read her book; maybe she addresses that there.

I spent some time this weekend tossing stuff in our basement, and bagging some up for donations. One bagful of stuff went to the "free" table we have at my work. I was holding on to a lot of stuff for the annual neighborhood yard sale in June, but we live in a 2-flat and our new neighbor is a major pain in the ass, and the more I thought about it I thought, "I do not want to have to deal with negotiating yard sale logistics with this individual." It was actually freeing to just get rid of it, though part of me thinks, "I maybe could've made a few bucks on that...."

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1905 on: January 02, 2019, 08:58:06 AM »
One of my favorite Youtube channels (Clutterbug- though she is more about organizing than minimizing) is doing #hugyourhome.
Room 1 was bedroom.
The challenge was: 15 things from the closet, 10 things from the dresser, and 10 more things to go.

I got 18 things from the closet, 22 things from the dresser (two of the 'thing' include a gigantic pile of socks and underwear, so way more than that), and 12 more things to go.

Best part- it's already at Goodwill. Except the socks and underwear, they were open, but unworn- and a friend took them after posting on Buy Nothing Project, and the expired diabetes testing supplies were trashed (feel bad I didn't give them away 2 years ago before they expired- test strips cost a fortune!)

My closet is pretty pared down (for me), my dresser is still overflowing, but getting better.  It's mostly overflowing with DH's stuff, not mine- but still something to work with him on.

And the bedroom looks way better.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1906 on: January 02, 2019, 09:02:01 AM »

You know, Boyfriend and I checked out a couple episodes of this last night. I.... am not sure about this show? The tone seems a little bit self-flagellating. Not on Marie's part, she is fine and I like how she is nonjudgmental. But, like, the first one we watched was the family of 4 who'd moved to an apartment in LA and nobody except the mom ever knew where everything was. It hurt my heart to hear her talking about how she felt responsible for the clutter and disarray, how she was doing a poor job at making her kids feel calm and at home, and essentially felt like a bad mom. When, she's got an able-bodied husband and kids who are of ages where they could be helping, but instead the one kid said something like "I'll basically spam mom with texts until she tells me where {thing I can't find} is." I wanted to yell at the TV, "this is not all your fault! Your family is taking advantage of you!" I actually didn't make it through that entire episode.

Then we watched the one with the young gay couple where the one guy was like, "I need to show my parents through my apartment that I am an adult so that they take my relationship more seriously." That also hurt my heart because I wonder if that would be an issue with his parents if he were straight? Their apartment wasn't even that bad! I don't know, I felt like the tone of the show was, people tidying up in order to manage others' feelings. I would've liked to have seen someone tidy up for themselves. But, I only saw the 2 episodes. Maybe the others aren't like that.

Has anyone else watched it? What do you all think?

I do like the "sparks joy" concept but I told Boyfriend that if I followed that, I would not own any winter clothing! I hate sweaters and boots and coats and gloves..... but, living in Chicago, they are needs so I can't just toss everything. I guess the best I can hope for is, only keep stuff that fits and is warm enough and doesn't, like, have holes in it? I really do hate it all, though. I haven't read her book; maybe she addresses that there.

I spent some time this weekend tossing stuff in our basement, and bagging some up for donations. One bagful of stuff went to the "free" table we have at my work. I was holding on to a lot of stuff for the annual neighborhood yard sale in June, but we live in a 2-flat and our new neighbor is a major pain in the ass, and the more I thought about it I thought, "I do not want to have to deal with negotiating yard sale logistics with this individual." It was actually freeing to just get rid of it, though part of me thinks, "I maybe could've made a few bucks on that...."

Hmmmm, interesting. I've only watched 1 thus far, a straight couple with two young kids. I definitely was bothered by certain aspects- their relationship was very condescending, while Marie/the narrator/whatever talked about all the warmth and love in the home. That was odd to me. But I also have a *very* calm and (as described by a friend once) "annoyingly respectful" relationship with my husband. So I have a hard time knowing what is "normal" to other people. I struggle with many shows like this in general (Gail Vaz Oxlade, trying to remember others) simply because SO many of the families have issues that extend way beyond the "issue at hand", and the debt/clutter/whatever is just the symptom of deeper dysfunction. But I think it's possible to have debt or clutter concerns without it being symptomatic of a deep familial rift, and so I do worry shows like this can be problematic. I dunno, not expressing my thoughts particularly well, just to say you raise good points and I'll be curious to see what others think, and what I think as I watch more.

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #1907 on: January 02, 2019, 09:26:48 AM »
I've seen the first four episodes and definitely see both of your points. I feel like it has given Marie Kondo the American reality TV spin. It can't just be about cleaning, there has to be a ~story. So there ends up being a lot of focus on an emotional before and after. The bickering couple with kids are kinder and more in sync after they clean, etc. And the dad in that family of 4 realizes he's a grown man and starts taking care of his own things. The kids are also much more respectful towards their stuff and their mother by the end. But you can't have that growth without pushing the subjects to talk about their problems at the beginning.

Marie Kondo does recommend starting with a vision statement about how you want your life to be and how your space fits into that. But she doesn't say you have to dig deep into all of your problems, or that your problems will be solved by cleaning. Just that you may be surprised at all the tangential positive benefits as you go along.

I am enjoying the show on the surface level as cleaning motivation, rolling my eyes a little at some of the storylines. I did a slow version of the Konmari method all year, and this definitely makes me want to do a full round two now that I have gotten rid of the easiest stuff and have honed in more on what items really do bring me joy. I did deal with my active papers pile while I watched an episode, and was able to recycle about half of it that is no longer important/relevant.

@Tris Prior, if you're interested in the concept, I definitely recommend her books over the show. She emphasizes that it is a personal journey. Definitely not a relationship tool or something to force on others. And she does talk about items you need but don't love. The main idea is that even if the item itself doesn't spark joy, its purpose can. So for example, even though you hate winter gear, you can think about it keeping you warm. Then maybe over time you will find you appreciate the item more.

Need2Save

• Bristles
« Reply #1908 on: January 05, 2019, 01:46:31 PM »
Alright. Keeping the momentum going this year.  I was certain that we had already released all the 'obvious' and 'easy' items from the house. I thought if I made a new challenge for myself in 2019 to get rid of one thing a day it would be hard to end the year with 365 items.  However, here we are on the 5th day of the year and I've already found over 50 more items! This is after we threw away/donated/recycled many items this fall and prior to January 1st.  I'm encouraged that I can keep this going. This is forcing me to look back over rooms/drawers/areas I've already gone over before.

My self-imposed rule is it must be something we are donating, throwing out (if broken/unusuable/can't be recycled), recycled, reselling, gifting to someone else or used up in the case of an item we are not replacing. Regular day-to-day items we use regularly and replace do not count obviously.  DH has also agreed to make no non-food (grocery) or gas purchases for the month of January. So zero new items should be entering the home this month!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1909 on: January 05, 2019, 03:46:25 PM »
Dropped off the old ceiling fan at the Habitat Restore. Am about halfway through taking down the Christmas tree. (Got tired/hungry, so sat down for lunch and the cat ended up on me.) But am culling a pile of ornaments. Also dragged out the lights and went through those. Getting rid of all the non-LED, as well as any LED that aren't working.

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #1910 on: January 05, 2019, 03:56:23 PM »
Challenging myself to get 5 things out of the house* each day I’m home during 2019. Yes, we have that much stuff. So Much Stuff. And that’s after moving house and all the purging that goes with downsizing.

*into the donate bag counts as out of the house even if it takes some time to get dropped off.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1911 on: January 05, 2019, 08:48:55 PM »
Two trips to Goodwill in the last 3 weeks. Both trips filled my trunk and my back seat for one of them.  I decided to go into the Goodwill after the second drop off and discovered two office chairs that are much better than the ones we've suffered through for a few years now.  I also found a Nerf gun on the rack that retails for $90 for $3.  The gun plus two good condition office chairs - $17.  We might be moving this summer so there's at least one more Goodwill run in our future this year.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 09:09:23 PM by Travis »

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1912 on: January 06, 2019, 12:21:37 AM »
In the midst of another decluttering push, inspired by my need to find room for a shit-ton of my Dad's books. Plus, while his books are in boxes in my spare room waiting to be divided up with my siblings, I don't have a spare room to hide my clutter :-/

- I went through the pile of baby gifts we received and never opened. Some of them I have kept to regift, but many (a gazillion muslin wraps) went on Buy Nothing and found new homes.
- Released some clothing items that I felt I SHOULD love and wear, but I just didn't!
- Unpotted and gave away a fig tree that was causing more angst than joy.
- Just listed a heap of books I don't want to read again, to find new readers :-)

Next areas to attack:
- Some unwanted gifts that I bet someone else would cherish.
- Baby and toddler toys that aren't special enough to keep for the hypothetical next kid.
- Kitchen cupboards... Not looking forward to that!!
- Laundry cupboards.
- Mr Happier's clothes? Maybe. Will see how he's feeling re ability to happily let go. He's made huge progress in feeling okay letting things go, and I don't want to push it.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1913 on: January 06, 2019, 08:49:36 AM »
Yesterday was a good test for our decluttering and organizing efforts. We put away the last of the Christmas items, and they fit! I still need to go through and refine my office stuff, probably get a desk so I have better storage for the things I need in there. But otherwise, the apartment is 100% functional in terms of there's nothing that space-wise of visibly needs to find homes, etc.

I actually watched a youtube video last night where a professional organizer gave her thoughts on Tidying Up. The part I really liked of the video was her breaking down the 4 types of clutter she sees in people's homes. https://youtu.be/3nIO2bZjm48
1. Too many items to store.
2. Items evoke negative emotions
3. Useful items are hard to access
4. Items are around that no longer function or lack function

So I'm to the lowest bar in some ways haha, that we now have the 'right' amount of items that we can appropriately store everything. Now I'm into the territory of 'is everything we have something we find useful or beautiful'.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1914 on: January 06, 2019, 10:06:37 AM »
So far items that can't go in the household recycling and waste collections has had to be taken to the recycling centre which is 15 miles by car in the opposite direction to all my town centre shopping, social and recreational needs.  A new recycling centre is opening in my town, but not until spring this year.  So either I make a special car journey or put stuff somewhere it can wait for three or four months.  Inertia and environmental concerns will probably win, but irritating to have to hang on to things I've decided I want gone.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1915 on: January 06, 2019, 11:25:48 AM »
Went through our books today that I’ve slowly been accumulating for the last 15 years. Around 60 will be heading to half price books. Keeping around 15-20. We move a lot so this will be a huge help.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1916 on: January 06, 2019, 02:13:24 PM »
About five years ago, the pull-out part of our kitchen faucet started malfunctioning (can't remember exactly what).  We liked the faucet, so I bought the same, although slightly updated, model, and ended up just putting the new pull-out piece on the old faucet.  This morning, I finally got around to installing the new faucet!  Old one is gone, and no boxed faucet sitting under the sink.

Along the same lines, I'm installing a bunch of new electrical outlets and switches today.  It's been on my to-do list for years as our house is 40 years old and the outlets that get more use are loose, not to mention yucky-looking. All the old switches are being updated to rocker switches. Up to now I'd only replace a few key outlets, and installed the rocker switches as rooms have been painted/updated.  Maybe I will really get ambitious and put all the GFCI outlets in too.  Should eliminate a container of supplies that have been stored in the shop.

Also took a couple small items out of the kitchen and put them in the thrift pile.  I'm actually a little surprised at how few unused items I found while going through the kitchen, considering I took everything out of the cupboards and drawers to clean them out and put in shelf liners.

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #1917 on: January 07, 2019, 09:27:29 AM »
I finished watching Tidying Up, and it has been really motivating for me. I did a pretty good first pass of the Kondo method last year, but I've been wanting to do a second round for a month or so. As I went through and reorganized the later categories, it gave me new perspective on some of the earlier ones. Plus, no matter how hard I try not to bring in new things, stuff creep is real. I have to be better about one-in-one-out this year.

Anyway, yesterday I pulled out all my tops, pajamas, and work clothes and went through them. I said goodbye to a decent sized pile of items that I kept last January but haven't worn since. There were also some things that have worn out or don't quite fit me right anymore. Everything in my closet is finally arranged one deep (I have stackable hangers and used to double up on some of my like items). Also, I finally did the proper folding method and packed my shirts upright in the drawers. My drawers only open halfway (thanks, tiny apartment living) and they never fit that way before. It is seriously life-changing.

The only downside is that my laundry is currently pretty full...hopefully it all still fits once those items are clean and put away. I do plan to go through it once i do a load later this week. I know I have a few pajama shirts in there that I only wore because they were on top of the pile that I can let go of. And I also have to do pants and sweaters (my nemesis!)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1918 on: January 07, 2019, 09:31:39 AM »
I've watched a few episodes of Tidying Up and liked it more than I thought it would. I worried it would be too "reality show".
What was interesting is it did seem different than I got from her book.  Like, rather than do everything from a category from every room of the house, she seemed to put people on different rooms and focus on rooms.

I didn't get anything new done last week. I need to decide what category I'm going to be looking at next. It really needs to be "husband's clothes", but Marie Kondo has taught me that other people's stuff is theirs to deal with...

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1919 on: January 07, 2019, 10:01:02 AM »
With the help of my honey and some friends, this past weekend I was finally able to vacate my storage unit!!! That particular albatross had been around my neck since I moved 2 years ago, and it feels really good to finally be clear of it!

Since I'm no longer in that area, one of the keys for me was to rent a big truck so we could haul anything useful back up with us. It turned out that renting one-way from down there was much cheaper than round-trip from my new location, enough so that renting a cheap compact car to drive down made sense (and also saved on gas). We thought about train/bus, but the schedules weren't great, and then the pickup location ended up being in an outlying community so we would have had to arranged for a separate ride out there anyway. I was also lucky that my brother and certain friends had need of furniture (new housing arrangements since the time of my move), so I was able to parcel out a lot of stuff instead of having to dump or donate all of it.

I'll also say that (with help) it was a lot easier than I'd made it out to be. Part of the reason it had languished for so long was that I had built up a major anxiety hangup & mental block when it came to finding ways to get rid certain items: large CRT TV, dead lawnmower, etc. The well-known services (1-800-GOT-JUNK, etc.) don't operate in that area for some reason, and the local contacts I could find seemed sketchy. The truth of the matter, though, is that I have a social phone-phobia, so doing business by phone/text is just excruciating for me; even just watching my honey do it for me (thanks, hon!) gave me a deep sense of dread... In the end she found some local crew to haul away everything that wasn't donate-able, including all of my worry items.

The other thing was that just the sheer amount of stuff, combined with the distance involved (no longer living in the region), made it seem insurmountable. But when we looked at it this time (with a friend to help, and big-a** truck to haul it all in), it didn't seem nearly as daunting. We were able to clear out the unit in one day, which left us another full (and long) day to drive, distribute, and donate on our way back home.

It feels so great to finally be done with this needless expense, and all of the junk with it!

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1920 on: January 07, 2019, 11:08:19 AM »
I worked on my kitchen yesterday and now have a few boxes for the thrift store.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1921 on: January 07, 2019, 11:29:55 AM »
HUGE congrats @dcheesi! Sounds like an AMAZING accomplishment and I love how good you clearly feel about being DONE with the storage unit. Hopefully there's also a nice financial savings in not paying for it anymore too :)
Thanks! And yep, the bill for that unit had grown over time, so that's a huge hole in my budget1 that's now closed :)

[1 Even though I'm more of a tracker than a budgeter, I had deliberately left this expense out of my monthly spending benchmarks just so it would keep bugging me every month when I looked at my finances.]

Need2Save

• Bristles
« Reply #1922 on: January 07, 2019, 04:49:08 PM »
Yay! congrats @dcheesi! that is a huge accomplishment. Really! I know once people put stuff in a unit, the burden just mounts with time. You are starting 2019 off right!

I dropped off some ceramic floor tiles at a local Re-Store that can be re-used and a hardly used manual tile cutter.  I thought I'd like using it on a particular size tile during my last project (kitchen back-splash), but the trusty wet saw came back in to play quickly.  Maybe it will be helpful to someone else who has a small project to do.

I haven't purged anything today, but I found a few more items on Sunday from the kitchen drawers and bottom cupboards. A few extra measuring cups/spoons that were duplicates, a few random odds and ends of appliances we no longer own, a couple mixing bowls we haven't used in ten years since we moved in.  I know there is more lurking in the kitchen, but for now there is absolutely nothing on the top shelf in each of the upper cabinets so that feels good.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1923 on: January 07, 2019, 05:10:39 PM »
Two more large bags being picked up tomorrow.  I also have a box of books almost ready to drop off at Goodwill next week. 

adamsputnik

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1924 on: January 07, 2019, 08:15:40 PM »
I think I am making good progress with the basement. The closet has been mostly reorganized, and I have a carful of stuff to take to Goodwill tomorrow, plus probably two carloads of rubbish waiting in the wings.

Still have some more areas to go through, but the ball is rolling and it's much less cluttered in general down there. Or will be, once the trash is gone.

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #1925 on: January 08, 2019, 10:13:41 AM »
Great job everyone, especially @dcheesi. Emptying a whole storage unit is quite an accomplishment!

I went through the rest of my clothes last night (besides what's in the laundry). I cannot believe the size of the donate pile! I thought my wardrobe was just going to need a fine tune here and there, but I really got rid of a lot considering the fact that I already did a big purge last year. Multiple trips to the thrift store are in my future. I don't have a car, so I have to take things in smaller bags on public transit.

It feels really, really good. My clothes finally feel like they're at that "click" point. The closet and drawers are still relatively full, but with room to breathe.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1926 on: January 08, 2019, 11:08:34 AM »
Filled another bag to donate after watching Tidying w/Marie Kondo (and just finished a year with zero shopping).. some of my things are badly in need of replacement and/or I am tired of trying to make them work.
-button up flannel that makes me look pregnant
-skirt with shorts under for hiking (I just ended up tugging at them the whole time)
-miscellaneous doo-dads,

going to do a few more rooms today hopefully!

*went through kitchen & found stainless steel tumblers, 5 wine glasses and some shot glasses that we don't use
*2 meditation cds
*weird ornamental Ikea gadget
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 04:06:17 PM by Serendip »

momcpa

• Stubble
« Reply #1927 on: January 08, 2019, 11:32:03 AM »
We will be driving thru a town with a Goodwill store in an hour for an appointment, so I made a quick look at what 'extra' stuff I have to bag up.  Not taking the time to do a big purge, but still ended up with a couple purses, a few items of clothing, an 'inspirational' desk do-dad, and some unused Christmas decorations.   And it only took about 10 minutes.  Stuff I won't even notice is gone, but it will be. 
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 11:36:59 AM by momcpa »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1928 on: January 08, 2019, 12:31:09 PM »
Spent the better part of a day working with my husband on our office! It was the remaining area that hadn't been addressed much since the move. Went through a ton of stuff- got rid of a ton of paperwork, filed a bunch, even went through some of our files! We hung a few extra pieces of decor and decided that 5 paintings/frames could be donated. Also a small box worth of misc cables and so forth will be donated.

All this means I actually have table space now! I need to get a couple things to make it a more functional desk, since it doesn't have any drawers. But anyway, WAY better than the antique dresser drawer + dining table I was trying to use as my 'desk'. It also means I don't have to move in progress stuff for meals or guests. This will be the first time ever for me that this is true, come to think of it! I've always had weird spots in the kitchen, or use the dining room table then clear it off, that sort of thing. How exciting =)

Also today, sold our circular saw. Kinda forgot I even had it listed online actually, it had gotten tucked up into a closet. So, item we don't need now that we don't have a house is gone, and $20 in my pocket. Fine by me.

shadesofgreen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1929 on: January 08, 2019, 01:26:06 PM »
Got rid of 3 sets of crummy blinds and a old camping chair over the weekend. Than I replaced my horrible shrunk up and pathetic patio drapes and got them out of the house yesterday. Feels good to get them gone.

Raymond Reddington

• Stubble
  • "The Concierge of Cash"
« Reply #1930 on: January 08, 2019, 08:35:16 PM »
So a while back we bought a new coffee table because the old Ikea tables just weren't cutting it. So we order one from Wayfair, but it comes damaged (corner chipped and one of the cardboard-esque particle board sides cracked) and one of the pieces was drilled backwards. So we call them to order replacement parts, but they just send us an entirely new table. So we had a partially complete defective table, and now here comes a brand new one. So we build, and use the new one. Meanwhile...still got the old one. Anyway, I finally got some time to drill the backwards piece properly (the piece doesn't face out), and we just decided...what the hell, let's build the defective table and see how it looks. It actually didn't look half bad. So we sold it cheap for $35 this week since it's got imperfections. And we're just happy to have the space it was occupying in our front room back.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1931 on: January 08, 2019, 09:18:10 PM »
Watched the first round of Tidying Up. It really made me want a TV show to come provide childcare for days or weeks so I can declutter in peace :-P

I started going through our underbed storage yesterday. Ohmylord, THE DUST.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #1932 on: January 09, 2019, 08:27:33 AM »
I have put a lot of stuff on hold while I cope with grieving, but doing little tiny bits of de-cluttering has been therapeutic.  I can't make big decisions - like what to do with all of the 50% of the Christmas decorations that didn't make it out of the box - but I was able put a bunch of stuff in a bag to use in next year's fundraiser, including stuff that arrived just this year. 
Hubs took the pile in the garage to the dump/donation as was appropriate and it is nice to get that space back when getting into the car. 
When looking for cloth to make beeswax wraps, I found a whole bunch of useless fabric that I had saved for daughter to do crafts with.  Now gone or finding new life as a reusable wrap. 
When looking for containers for gifts of food, anything that was not functional got tossed tidying up one cupboard.
Christmas accumulations were way down and that has made things much easier. 
I am going to follow along and work at my own pace, but I too have enjoyed watching Tidying Up when I was just too tired to do anything else.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #1933 on: January 09, 2019, 03:40:01 PM »
Without catching up...Frugal Lizard, I am sorry for your loss.

Got stuck on both work projects today, so turned back to 2017 emails.  Got them all done!  61 total in the last 4 days!  Feels good.  Maybe I can keep clearing out a month of 2018 emails for every month in 2019, to keep from getting further behind. 

I just need a little bit of celebration.  Oldest work email is now only 10 months old!  Also, I got the oldest thing on my monthly task list (from July 2018) done!  That's a piece of paper I no longer need (the task list).

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1934 on: January 09, 2019, 08:46:07 PM »
Oneday - you are seriously rocking the email.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1935 on: January 09, 2019, 09:15:33 PM »

Underbed storage?!?!  Noooooo!  Bad Feng Shui!  Only partly kidding - somehow, I just felt better when I got rid of mine.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1936 on: January 09, 2019, 10:20:16 PM »

Underbed storage?!?!  Noooooo!  Bad Feng Shui!  Only partly kidding - somehow, I just felt better when I got rid of mine.

Well if we declutter enough, I can get rid of it :-)

I don't believe in Feng Shui, but seeing the edges of the underbed containers poking out sometimes bothers me, plus it does make it harder to clean under there.

On the other hand - you know there are no monsters under the bed when the space is filled with storage tubs.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1937 on: January 09, 2019, 10:56:37 PM »
My bed has build in storage which is where clothing that brings me joy but isn't in this season's capsule wardrobe lives.

But I do need to examine the number of woollen jerseys I truly need to own given I haven't lived in NZ for a decade

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1938 on: January 10, 2019, 05:53:30 AM »
My sister is taking the Royal Albert tiered cake stand that was a gift from my BFF. My BFF is taking the Royal Doulton cut glass decanter that was a gift from my sister. I find this HILARIOUS.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1939 on: January 10, 2019, 03:38:51 PM »
Today’s decluttering box includes a roasting rack that doesn’t fit our roasting pan, a warped skillet for which I have two replacements, a butter dish for which I have two replacement, some outgrown kids clothes (donate), some ripped/holey kids clothes (compost), a puzzle the kids don’t touch, and a set of alphabet blocks.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #1940 on: January 10, 2019, 04:46:47 PM »
My sister is taking the Royal Albert tiered cake stand that was a gift from my BFF. My BFF is taking the Royal Doulton cut glass decanter that was a gift from my sister. I find this HILARIOUS.

Funny! Xmas & birthdays would be a lot simpler if everyone just bought something for themselves!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1941 on: January 10, 2019, 06:02:41 PM »

Funny! Xmas & birthdays would be a lot simpler if everyone just bought something for themselves!

Gift giving is horribly inefficient. Which leads me to ponder how I increase the efficiency of my giving, i.e. ensure that what I give people has at least the value to them that I have exchanged for it.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1942 on: January 10, 2019, 06:11:36 PM »
Went through half the kitchen cupboards last night, and made a huge pile of things for Mr Happier to consider. Made it Extremely Clear that he was not obligated to agree to getting rid of a single thing in the pile if he wanted to keep it all. He opted to keep two things: a mug with a built-in tea strainer, and a set of four mini mugs that he says we need for when we have a lot of guests. I kind of agree about needing the extra mugs - but I don't care at all for the particular mugs in question. So he's taking time to consider whether he wants these mugs or just some backup mugs, and when he's had time to think about it and come to a decision we'll proceed accordingly.

He marvelled at how much space I'd cleared from the cupboards, and is super excited to have space for the toddler bowl, spoons etc in a very accessible kitchen cupboard. They're in frequent use so we've just been keeping them on the counter, but neither of us loves how that looks. (Thank goodness I married a man who loves a tidy kitchen.)

Listed everything on Buy Nothing last night, and it amazes me what people want or don't want. I'm hoping to give away at least 50% of what we're decluttering, because I know that not everything given to charity actually gets bought.

We've already gone through the toddler toys and boxed up the things that we want to save for a hypothetical next kid, and set aside for Buy Nothing the stuff we don't think is worth keeping.

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #1943 on: January 10, 2019, 06:41:11 PM »
A bit of backwards movement this week I guess. We cleared out so many items and large pieces in the last month, that when our neighbour offered to give us a treadmill we had a nice clear spot for it ready to go. At least one person in my family is very happy we have that equipment now, but I'm sad I lost the clear space.  sigh

In other news, I recently discovered a trading app called Bunz where you can post items and fill other people's or your own 'in search of' lists. Traded one item on it now, and I hope my city gets more people on it - I just really like the idea of people getting matched up with items they need and want and it not just going on some anonymous donate pile. Many people in our friend circle already swap, but it's very disorganized and can be user intensive - make a social media post with a list of items, or a google doc list, and decide who to share it to...    I don't need anything, so I'm treating it more as a give away site, but I put things on my ISO list like kids board games for the non-profit I work at, transit fare, or house plants (I can never keep them alive long).

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1944 on: January 11, 2019, 06:20:34 AM »
My paint stash is getting positively small! Used up and took another 3 gallons of primer and paint to the garage to dry before tossing them. I plan to paint the walls in the bedroom, which will use another gallon.

Well done!

I'm a little jealous...we have at least a dozen partial gallons of paint in the basement, most from the original owners of our house who used it probably 15+ years ago.  We've kept it because of laziness/intertia, but also because we thought it might be useful to do touch-ups (that hasn't happened) or to color-match if we ever decide to repaint some rooms (not gonna happen anytime soon).  The paint is probably no good after all this time, so I'd really like to start getting rid of it.

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1945 on: January 11, 2019, 06:53:07 AM »
The best gift I gave myself this Christmas was to spend a lot of time decluttering the basement.  We didn't get rid of as much as I'd hoped, but some of the items were pretty large.  The biggest gains came from thoughtful reorganization, and consolidating like items into the same boxes/areas.  It's really nice to know exactly where to look for something when I need it.

I keep going down there to just walk around and enjoy the (relatively) de-cluttered and open-feeling space.  Every time I do that it inspires me to chip away at it a little more.

One thing I still want to do is replace some (or all) of the free-standing shelves with wall-mounted shelves.  We have six free-standing units and I really dislike the way they look.  Plus it really bothers me that I can't run the vacuum under the free-standing units!

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #1946 on: January 11, 2019, 07:30:47 AM »
My paint stash is getting positively small! Used up and took another 3 gallons of primer and paint to the garage to dry before tossing them. I plan to paint the walls in the bedroom, which will use another gallon.

Well done!

I'm a little jealous...we have at least a dozen partial gallons of paint in the basement, most from the original owners of our house who used it probably 15+ years ago.  We've kept it because of laziness/intertia, but also because we thought it might be useful to do touch-ups (that hasn't happened) or to color-match if we ever decide to repaint some rooms (not gonna happen anytime soon).  The paint is probably no good after all this time, so I'd really like to start getting rid of it.

That paint is most likely garbage.  Depending on the pigments - it may only work for touch ups for three or four years (anything with reds is quickly faded in a bright room)  And you probably want the lower VOC paints on your walls now anyway.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1947 on: January 11, 2019, 07:59:35 AM »

Well done!

That paint is most likely garbage.  Depending on the pigments - it may only work for touch ups for three or four years (anything with reds is quickly faded in a bright room)  And you probably want the lower VOC paints on your walls now anyway.

If it's frozen at all, it definitely is garbage. A lot of hazardous waste drop offs will take old paint. I dumped something like 50 gallons on one in 2017. They were pretty shocked. So was I actually when I started gathering it all together and it just kept turning up.

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1948 on: January 11, 2019, 08:10:12 AM »

Most of the colors are neutral -- grays, beiges, light blues.  But you're still right that it's all most likely no good anymore.  I'm going to put this on my list of things that are somewhat annoying to get rid of.  Along with CFL bulbs, rechargeable batteries, old Christmas tree lights, and wood scraps.

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1949 on: January 11, 2019, 08:14:37 AM »

If it's frozen at all, it definitely is garbage. A lot of hazardous waste drop offs will take old paint. I dumped something like 50 gallons on one in 2017. They were pretty shocked. So was I actually when I started gathering it all together and it just kept turning up.

I know the local recycling center has a 'hazardous waste disposal day' once or twice a year where they accept stuff like this.  I'll find out when that is and start counting down the days until I can reclaim that corner of my basement.  :)