Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1249479 times)

mspym

• Walrus Stache
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #4000 on: August 25, 2020, 09:17:22 PM »
@slackmax it's a weird feeling as things that have been in plain sight become visible. Now to get it out of the house before it fades back into the background!

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #4001 on: August 25, 2020, 10:20:37 PM »
@lazycow I’m gonna make a suggestion, but obviously it’s an internet stranger suggestion, so likely irrelevant.

A cheap Bluetooth keyboard might pair with the laptop and make it useful again? If not for you, then for someone doing homeschool this year? I’m guessing it’s less crazy in Australia than here in the states, but laptops are in demand right now.
Rats @PMG ! Read your very helpful comment too late! I hadn't thought of that solution, but will keep it in mind for the future. And no, it isn't less crazy in Victoria, especially Melbourne. Almost all students are remote learning (though the majority of the schools where I am use Macs, which are rented to the students through the schools). But thanks so much for the comment; always willing to learn new things about repurposing and keeping items out of waste systems.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 10:25:16 PM by lazycow »

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #4002 on: August 25, 2020, 10:35:17 PM »
@slackmax +1 to putting it on the curb first, BUT only if it isn't going to rain! Our next door neighbour put out an old couch weeks ago and no one took it due to bad weather. It is still sitting there, ruined. Good for you on getting big stuff out. And thanks for the tip re: VCRs. I really don't want such a bulky tech item in the house, and videocassettes are hard to store. I really would prefer digitising.

Cleaned and organised my spice drawer and it is now a thing of beauty. I lay all the little glass bottles in their sides in alphabetical order, with the labels facing up. Took all the duplicates (why so many sachets of cayenne pepper and smoked paprika?) and put them in a container with strict instructions to my husband to check there before buying more! I  only needed to compost a couple of very old packs, so we are using up most items, yay.

And to everyone who is dealing with family clutter: I feel your pain, having done it for my parents a few years ago. it is hard, and time-consuming, but 10 years later, so very worth it. It certainly made me question why I choose to keep what is in the house, and freely give away whatever no longer serves us. Hopefully I have taught the almost-adult kids to do this; my husband is naturally a declutterer, apart from what lives in his shed.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 10:38:22 PM by lazycow »

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #4003 on: August 25, 2020, 11:32:20 PM »
No aspirational recipes.

Great tip, I have three skinny binder things with recipes and I don't look at them. I'll cull soon!

Ugh to the stories of parents leaving clutter. My dad is a minimalist *buffs nails*. My sister however...

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4004 on: August 26, 2020, 07:39:08 AM »
@oneday - we were on the "warning" evacuation list on Sunday due to potential lightning strikes, but are now off the list. Our house is next to a very dry preserve, and the preserve itself is at high risk due to no barriers/structures & dry landscape. It's been a roller coaster for sure. Feels like we've turned the corner a bit with cooperating weather. Fingers crossed. Hope you are also in a safe area.

I've had a lot of success selling, but things have slowed down quite a bit in the past two weeks. I consider the selling part of my pandemic plans. 1) declutters. 2) small amount of money in 3) I get exercise. I take everything to the nearest post office drop box, which is about a mile & a half round trip from my house. I've gotten so many more steps, just by ensuring I'm mailing the packages. It's been a bunch of small sales that are adding up.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4005 on: August 26, 2020, 09:14:41 AM »
@oneday, ha ha re: your double take.  :)  And I hope @MaybeBabyMustache and you stay safe.  I'm in the Rocky Mountains and we are currently surrounded by four wildfires.

I ordered two fridge bins, one for cans and one for bottled beverages, and cleaned, filled, and put them in the fridge last night.  It looks much neater!

This morning I "decluttered" about 100 calories on the treadmill.  ;)

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4006 on: August 26, 2020, 10:33:38 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement, everyone!

@slackmax--very descriptive image of the 'clutter archipelago', and a good solution to break it up. If you have curb space, I +1 on just putting it out there for pickup.

I returned a friend's book and gave her one more. SO brought me some supplies that I repurposed into packaging for two more books to mail to an out-of-town friend.

Added three baskets and two throw pillows to the curb pile.

Added a damaged phone charging cord to the pile awaiting the Apple mailing label for recycling.

Threw away a couple of old items from the fridge and wiped out all the shelves. I'd been putting it off because I thought it was a huge chore. It took less than ten minutes...

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4007 on: August 26, 2020, 04:36:13 PM »
@slackmax it's a weird feeling as things that have been in plain sight become visible. Now to get it out of the house before it fades back into the background!

I didn't put it on the curb, since things like that don't get taken around here, for some reason, plus it's 50/50 chance of rain tomorrow.  And the garbage plan I have won't take it, either.

I barely got it into my car, but I did, without scratching anything! Dropped it off at the donation center, went home and saw a big old footstool in the archipelago, and decided to donate it too! Took it over.   

I vacuumed up the rug that got exposed in the archipelago, and moved some other stuff together, and now have pushed the archipelago a good 5 or 6 feet back towards the wall.   More open space!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #4008 on: August 26, 2020, 06:08:16 PM »
@MaybeBabyMustache ah, the weather is being so cooperative!  Good to hear your area is less threatened. I was never less than 10 miles from any fire, but that is still pretty close!

That's some pretty good synergy the selling is bringing you!

@MountainGal hope you are safe as well!  Air quality has gotten a bit better here; hope the same for you.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4009 on: August 26, 2020, 06:40:41 PM »
@slackmax bonus points for the footstool! That's awesome stuff

My minor declutter today was using up a small carton of almond milk we had been given on our breakfasts. Now I have to work out what to do with a bottle of pomegranate molasses. I wonder if it makes a nice spritzer
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 06:43:50 PM by mspym »

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #4010 on: August 26, 2020, 07:14:31 PM »
@slackmax yay for you! I am such a sticky beak: I'd love to see your before and after photos:-)

@mspym can you use the molasses for salad dressing or on rice? I am sure it is one of Ottolenghi's top 10 ingredients! Yes, here is a link: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/shortcuts/2016/jul/12/yotam-ottolenghis-top-pomegranate-tips

I decluttered many, many raspberry canes that magically sprung up over the years from just 3 canes. Gave them to a guy who has started a market garden and he gave me a heap of perpetual spinach plants, with the promise of whatever vege plants I want over the coming months, plus some giant sunflowers. I also pulled out a rogue tree that is basically a weed. It was huge, but brittle so easy to do.

I have 5 small mailing boxes waiting for someone to pick up. They are perfect for mailing care packages. I know it would be much easier just to break them down and use in the compost bin but it is nice for them to be reused at least once.

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #4011 on: August 26, 2020, 10:48:48 PM »
Lots of tiny decluttering wins lately. I offered some hobby supplies to a friend who was very excited, so I added a few more items when we did our masked trade off. I also was able to gift a number of small items to little family members, and put more things on the local free trade table. Decluttering lots of food this week as well.

@mspym I'm jealous of the pomegranate molasses, I have been trying to find it locally for years since I had it in a fantastic salmon recipe (on each salmon piece - 1/4 cup of onions and carrots cut into matchsticks and cooked in the oven in foil packets with a drizzle of oil, and balsamic mixed with pomegranate molasses or juice)

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4012 on: August 27, 2020, 07:09:39 AM »
@mspym I've seen (and eaten) pomegranate molasses in a lot of Afghani and Syrian recipes, though not cooked with it myself.
https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/muhammara-10982

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #4013 on: August 27, 2020, 08:21:43 AM »
I have been putting household goods that my son needs for his first apartment into a bin for him to take to university. I have also been more rigorous on the garden accessories - if it is really not in good shape:  out it goes. 

We also started a family challenge around menu planning to prevent food waste as part of living lighter on the planet group with our congregation.  That will also involve going through the freezer and the pantry. 

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4014 on: August 27, 2020, 11:51:56 PM »
@slackmax-congrats on your newly available 5' or 6' feet!

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #4015 on: August 28, 2020, 01:04:40 AM »
I vacuumed up the rug that got exposed in the archipelago, and moved some other stuff together, and now have pushed the archipelago a good 5 or 6 feet back towards the wall.   More open space!

Sounds great @slackmax!

I should do similar, the living room is a mess. But in our case, partly due to moving in October. However, this could be much better and we do need to live her for over a month still. We have some moving boxes and we can easily get more. We also have a "storage room", quite big and nearly empty, where we have started to put things in two piles (his and mine, so easy too keep separate when moving).

I am working from home today, until approximately noon, and I hope to get to clear ut a couple of mini categories today and during the weekend. Will taget plant pot and other smaller garden stuff. Also two overhead cupboards in the laundry room (those are already partly dealt with before open house so not too bad). And of course the living room. I believe 2 * 15 minutes in there will result in a smaller miracle.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4016 on: August 28, 2020, 09:22:49 AM »
Decluttering the refrigerator :) I'm kinda bad at hiding perishable items, which then go bad, so had an omelette for breakfast with the dregs of my egg white carton, some hidden mushrooms, and mini peppers. Leftovers planned for lunch and dinner to help clear out the fridge before this weekend's grocery run.

Did another once-over on our books - our shelves now look manageable! (Trying to find a place ini reasonable distant to donate niche academic books with graduate student notes throughout.)

Went through the boys' clothes, and made another bag of hand-me-downs for my sister's impending little one. Got rid of what she didn't want through a local Buy Nothing group.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4017 on: August 28, 2020, 01:19:30 PM »
Cleaned up the last of the soccer cleats that were used for 2 games last season, but outgrown due to COVID. Listed for sale, and will donate if that doesn't pan out.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4018 on: August 29, 2020, 08:42:01 PM »
Went through the kitchen drawers and found a large, sharp fork that's a companion to a carving knife. I don't know why I have this. I don't cook large joints of meat, and I never host holiday gatherings. Why do I have this, and why have I moved it several times??

Also a shot glass and a fitted sheet that used to go over the loveseat I sold.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #4019 on: August 30, 2020, 02:03:34 AM »
Got rid of a single bed doona cover. It was on the spare bed and I was lying underneath it, having a rest and it felt gross and slippery with too much wear. The op shops here take this stuff and cut it into rags to sell in large bags, to tradesmen.

This one is more pantry-related, but I am attempting to use up a jar of hemp powder I bought for my son's protein shakes. He hates it, so I am adding a small spoonful each day to my morning porridge and it is quite pleasant, in little doses.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4020 on: August 30, 2020, 03:37:41 AM »
It's been a weekend of 5-minutes declutter tasks.
- Another quick whisk through the drawers and there's a small pile for donation again. Not sure how this lot escaped previous purges but that's common.
- I moved all the cables from various locations to the cable drawer
- Two minor clothing repairs complete and I am one found storage container lid away from completely clearing the sewing table. It looks so clear right now!
- My embroidery threads are now too many for the old casserole dish I have been keeping them in so that's next - sorting through them, finding a new place to keep them and donating the pyrex. It's beautiful but I am never going to the effort of making a two-serving casserole.
- I'm pulling off all the files from my old Galaxy s6 - gorgeous electric blue colour!- in anticipation of donating or recycling it. First I need to wipe it and also investigate if donation is an option.

Just overall, there's a LOT more clear surfaces in the house, without it feeling like an onerous weekend of chores.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4021 on: August 30, 2020, 07:44:33 AM »
Finally got my pandemic decluttering pile out of the house yesterday - we loaded up the car and did a run to the Salvation Army, which is finally accepting donations again.  Such a relief to have those boxes out of the house!  I might even be able to vacuum the laundry room now - they were taking up so much floor space I couldn't clean properly.

Time to keep an eye out for a new box to start again.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4022 on: August 30, 2020, 02:13:28 PM »
@mspym, women's shelter's will often accept old cell phones.  Even if the recipient can't afford a plan, they will all allow 911 calls as long as it's charged, and sometimes that's all someone needs to stay safe.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #4023 on: August 30, 2020, 07:09:15 PM »
An upright lamp which has a too-wide, and rather ugly shade. I bought it 2nd hand so no great financial loss. Will send it back to the op shop from whence it came, when said op shop reopens.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4024 on: August 31, 2020, 10:12:34 AM »
Calling up one more reselling shop to see if they will buy my old electronic typewriter. Sort of hoping they will say no, like the other places, so I can just donate the thing to the salvation army, and be rid of it.

On Sunday I went by the S.A. dropoff place, and it was packed to the gills with stuff! I hope they continue to accept stuff well into the future, since I have a lot.   

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4025 on: September 01, 2020, 11:27:03 AM »
I have been prioritizing the largest items since we need the floor space!  Some people have expressed a wish to buy the giant armoire that ended up in our garage. They may have it at a deep, deep, discount, and they will get my blessings with it.  They claim to be coming to pick it up this afternoon and I have my fingers crossed.

The giant armoire is gone!! Sold it to a Craigslist guy for only $130 (probably was $2K originally, but it's been for sale for almost two months.  I feel like we can breathe again!  So he's happy and I'm happy.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 10:36:49 AM by Poundwise »

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4026 on: September 01, 2020, 11:36:57 AM »
I've made a few eBay sales, after a quiet period. Sold a sports bra, dress, pair of workout pants, fishing float, & wine chiller. Also sold our old fridge. Our microwave/convection oven is the only kitchen remodel still outstanding.

I need to get back to my "trying everything on" from summer stuff, & putting things I won't use or wear in the donation pile.

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4027 on: September 01, 2020, 01:47:36 PM »
I moved to a new town and there are little libraries all around and I am driving around dropping off my books. Also there’s a bigger donation bin at the library I’m going tk check out. Goal is to reduce from 200 to 20.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4028 on: September 01, 2020, 02:04:36 PM »
Calling up one more reselling shop to see if they will buy my old electronic typewriter. Sort of hoping they will say no, like the other places, so I can just donate the thing to the salvation army, and be rid of it.

On Sunday I went by the S.A. dropoff place, and it was packed to the gills with stuff! I hope they continue to accept stuff well into the future, since I have a lot.

Maybe, you can put it in the electrical recycling. I doubt it is sellable, which is also verified by your efforts with the reselling shops. By donating it to salvation army you are giving them en expense or something to get rid of instead of a gift.

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #4029 on: September 02, 2020, 06:40:46 AM »
Gave away 2 lunchboxes and 2 matching cups which my daughter did not want anymore (pink is no longer fashionable when you're a 12yo). Have to restart the decluttering efforts after the holidays. Will start with clearing out the kids' winter clothes to see what they have grown out, so I can start reselling / donating these (and buy some "new" clothes for them from Marketplace/E-bay).

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4030 on: September 02, 2020, 02:42:36 PM »

Maybe, you can put it in the electrical recycling. I doubt it is sellable, which is also verified by your efforts with the reselling shops. By donating it to salvation army you are giving them en expense or something to get rid of instead of a gift.

Oh, don't be such a Debby Downer. I bet they could get $5 or $10 for it.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4031 on: September 02, 2020, 02:50:38 PM »
Continue to search daily for an item to: toss, donate or sell. I listed a running jacket that doesn't fit properly on eBay, added two pair of kid pants to the donation pile, and found one pair of NWT kid pants that I'll list tomorrow.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4032 on: September 02, 2020, 02:53:28 PM »
I've made a few eBay sales, after a quiet period. Sold a sports bra, dress, pair of workout pants, fishing float, & wine chiller. Also sold our old fridge. Our microwave/convection oven is the only kitchen remodel still outstanding.

I need to get back to my "trying everything on" from summer stuff, & putting things I won't use or wear in the donation pile.

Congratulations on the eBay sales. 

Craigslist has suddenly come to life for me. I just sold a big gas powered weed whacker and a box of ancillary stuff, that my Dad gave me.  Good to have that gone!  It was too big, overkill for the landscaping I have. All I need is my handy electric weed whacker.   

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4033 on: September 03, 2020, 06:43:55 AM »
I forgot to mention I was finally able to return the huge stack of library books that's been waiting on my hall table!  I have access to three different library systems (courtesy of DH being a university employee) and the last holdout finally opened the book drop to accept returns.  Now there's only one book that was borrowed from a family member, that I need to see if she wants back or I should donate.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4034 on: September 03, 2020, 11:45:58 AM »

I prefer to called it realistic. I haven’t seen anybody use a typewriter in 25 years.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4035 on: September 04, 2020, 11:45:25 AM »
I have been prioritizing the largest items since we need the floor space!  Some people have expressed a wish to buy the giant armoire that ended up in our garage. They may have it at a deep, deep, discount, and they will get my blessings with it.  They claim to be coming to pick it up this afternoon and I have my fingers crossed.

The giant armoire is gone!! Sold it to a Craigslist guy for only $130 (probably was $2K originally, but it's been for sale for almost two months.  I feel like we can breathe again!  So he's happy and I'm happy.

Way to go, Poundwise! You got some real money for it, and it is out of your house.  Very tough market for used furniture lately.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4036 on: September 04, 2020, 12:18:12 PM »
Thanks, slackmax!! A secret is that I probably would have been willing to PAY $130 to get it out! It was indeed a lovely piece of furniture, solid light hardwood, nice clean lines.

I prefer to called it realistic. I haven’t seen anybody use a typewriter in 25 years.

Coincidentally, my husband just said he'll take my dad's old Selectric off to his office because he finds it more convenient for typing addresses on envelopes.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4037 on: September 04, 2020, 03:33:49 PM »
Thanks, slackmax!! A secret is that I probably would have been willing to PAY $130 to get it out! It was indeed a lovely piece of furniture, solid light hardwood, nice clean lines.

Coincidentally, my husband just said he'll take my dad's old Selectric off to his office because he finds it more convenient for typing addresses on envelopes.

In my last office, the Payroll department had an electric typewriter for cutting checks to terminated employees.  In California, whether the employee quits on the spot, gives notice or is terminated by the company, they are to be given all their salary, vacation or any other pay they are owed by the end of that business day.  Payroll could fulfil that obligation without disrupting the normal Payables process, and also without revealing salary or other sensitive info.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4038 on: September 04, 2020, 10:16:36 PM »

In my last office, the Payroll department had an electric typewriter for cutting checks to terminated employees.  In California, whether the employee quits on the spot, gives notice or is terminated by the company, they are to be given all their salary, vacation or any other pay they are owed by the end of that business day.  Payroll could fulfil that obligation without disrupting the normal Payables process, and also without revealing salary or other sensitive info.

Did you get your salary by check? I haven’t seen anybody using checks in 20 years. I find it fascinating that US has some of the world largest tech companies but still use checks.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4039 on: September 05, 2020, 01:17:47 AM »

Did you get your salary by check? I haven’t seen anybody using checks in 20 years. I find it fascinating that US has some of the world largest tech companies but still use checks.

No, but it was an option. I'm pretty sure it's legally required to offer paper checks...not everybody in the USA has a bank account.  I'm sure some employees did opt to get checks.  Those employees would have their checks handed to them by their manager on payday (like in the olden days), so those checks would be prepared ahead of time by the outsourced payroll company.

But the requirement to pay an employee out on their last day necessitated a paper check cut by the internal payroll department.  The direct deposit system was either too expensive or too inflexible to handle a same-day transfer.

The company I worked for was 80 years old.  I guarantee that typewriter had been purchased new by the payroll department back when it was current tech.  It's still in service because it's not been heavily used. 

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4040 on: September 05, 2020, 08:50:18 AM »
I was up early this morning and procured a prescription through the CVS drive-through and then I was the UPS Store's first customer to return some poorly fitting masks and a poorly fitting dress to Amazon.  I have now removed my card info from the website and I AM OFFICIALLY BREAKING UP WITH AMAZON. 

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4041 on: September 05, 2020, 08:05:25 PM »
Way to go, @MoolahLula !

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #4042 on: September 05, 2020, 09:44:03 PM »
I was up early this morning and procured a prescription through the CVS drive-through and then I was the UPS Store's first customer to return some poorly fitting masks and a poorly fitting dress to Amazon.  I have now removed my card info from the website and I AM OFFICIALLY BREAKING UP WITH AMAZON.

You are living the dream.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4043 on: September 05, 2020, 10:47:26 PM »
Just recycled a piece of paper from the Pile of Doom (hat tip to @happy ).  There are 3 papers left! It's not my only cache of papers, but other stuff just needs scanning. I may have a victory post of my own soon.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4044 on: September 06, 2020, 03:07:15 AM »
Good work @oneday, only 3 to go! I look forward to your victory dance post. I burnt all the confidential papers from the Box of Doom this evening, and put the rest of the discards into the recycle bin. There's about 2 inches of pile left inside the box and I have a plan for those which I hope to execute tonight.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #4045 on: September 06, 2020, 05:38:22 AM »
My son moved out yesterday.  He took two car loads of stuff.  I have stockpiling stuff for him since May.  After he was off I spent the afternoon collecting the garbage piles he left in his bedroom.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4046 on: September 06, 2020, 08:30:51 AM »
Awesome wins, @MoolahLula @Frugal Lizard @oneday ! Progress everywhere.

I've recently:
-was on an incredibly terrible call recently, & spent the time organizing my son's dresser (I work out of his bedroom). Found a few things to donate, & a few to sell. Found dirty laundry under the bed (now in laundry). Also, gross
-Promptly returned two items that didn't work out (running shoes that were too big)
-Donated extra toiletries (including quite a few travel sizes, which were a request) to a neighbor collecting for a homeless shelter
-Got rid of our old microwave/convection oven that didn't fit after our remodel. I'd wanted to donate that + the fridge to a good charity, but it was quite hard to get that together. Instead, sold on FB & then made a donation to the wildfire fund. Done, and done!
-Continued to unpack kitchen (post remodel) & getting rid of things we no longer need. It's been a useful process to pack (dumped a bunch of stuff at that time) & then unpack. Why do we have six colanders, of various sizes, for example? I did stop my husband from buying a second package of cutting boards. We already have 8. He wanted to buy another 3 pack...

Speaking of my husband & progress, he grew up without a lot & immigrated alone to Canada at 16. So, he has some clutter/accumulation issues from a time when he truly had no belongings & lived in poverty. We hit a delicate balance at home, with me being driven nuts by clutter, and trying to be respectful of him.
Last night, he asked me to get rid of his old suits! He has a bunch of very, very nice suits from his role in sales (8+ years ago). We are both now in tech, and will never wear them again. I'm going to find a nice charity. I also suggested selling our old digital camera, and he agreed to that as well! Woop!!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4047 on: September 06, 2020, 12:37:14 PM »
Thanks @happy, right back atcha!  I have a feeling the last 2 inches will feel soooo satisfying to dispose of.

@Frugal Lizard no more garbage piles, yay!

@Sun Hat sounds like your trash was their treasure. Score!

@MaybeBabyMustache I can feel the triumph for you both when your husband agreed to sell the camera. Yay!

lol, forgot my update.  Two of three papers gone! One dealt with, the other in my calendar for later this week.  The last page has info I need to make a phone call on Tuesday.  That is also in my calendar.  In two days time, the pile of doom should be gone!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 12:38:56 PM by oneday »

shrimpwd

• Stubble
« Reply #4048 on: September 06, 2020, 12:54:11 PM »
I've managed to get a good number of loads over to my mom's shed from the back porch/room over the past week.
I even cleared up some of my temporary piles that needed to move out to that room.

However, until that last bit of stuff goes to her place, I can't set the room up to do as I'd like. Been nearly 4 years, you'd think I could wait until Thursday. (If it actually happens then...)

Part of this move is to get space so that I can go through my things again. I needed more space to lay it all out to sort. Some of my stuff has been shoved on shelves for years without me using it. Hopefully soon!

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #4049 on: September 06, 2020, 01:42:25 PM »
Sold our old dining room table and its 6 chairs! That really was a relief to see it leaving the house.
Cleaned out our son’s closet and made 3 piles: junk / give away / sell. Already sold a few items (will be picked  up tomorrow)and will donate the give away pile tomorrow (Spare sets for kindergarten, the teachers there love to have a few spare sets of clothes in case of accidents.....)!
Now my daughter’s closet......... (12yo tween with her own style......😜)