Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 772649 times)

okcisok

• Bristles
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #4250 on: October 27, 2020, 08:35:38 PM »
I never keep moving boxes anymore. I used to, but there are so many boxes available out there on Buy Nothing Groups, Next-door, etc, beside the usual liquor store and grocery store options. (Wouldn't work for an emergency move, though.)

The Craig giveth and the Craig taketh away :)

Where I currently live, it's easy to scavenge discarded, clean boxes from the 6 dumpster-sized recycle bins pretty much any weekend. I am grateful for this, as the apartment has very limited storage space.

I don't like to have them hanging around. Like you said, when I need them, they're easy to get. Two days ago I got an internet order in two giant boxes with *SIX* smaller boxes inside each one. Then a large Amazon shipping box blew into my driveway on a very windy day. So boxes are literally being delivered to me, I don't need to keep any! :)

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4251 on: October 28, 2020, 03:30:06 PM »
Some good decluttering work is going on, well done everyone.

I'm still at it. The last couple of weeks I have been through a couple of rooms, but the volume of discards has decreased: I still have just 2 boxes to donate that I am slowly filling. Previously I have collected a car load in a short space of time.  I think I'm winning :).

This week I rid myself of a life time collection of buttons. You know, the spare buttons you get when you buy a garment. Mother always said to never through away buttons because its good to have spares. She sewed, I don't. I can't remember when I used one of those spare buttons. I felt naughty but victorious when I let them go!

mspym

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4252 on: October 28, 2020, 05:07:49 PM »
We have cleared up two corners of our bedroom - I got rid of a clothes rail that wasn't working to control the floordrobe and Ofpym simplified how many basses he had out so now it's feeling so much clearer.

The new coffee tavle/shoeracks are really helping to prevent the piles of shoes all over the living room so there are two long term irritants resolved.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Magnum Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4253 on: October 28, 2020, 05:13:42 PM »
I've actually been selling a bit more on eBay, so I've gotten a few things out of the house. A couple of makeup samples & an ugly holiday sweater. Junk out, money in.

Sibley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4254 on: October 28, 2020, 06:43:08 PM »
Threw out an old, beat up phone case that I took off the old, beat up phone with the now loose power port.

Ladychips

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4255 on: October 28, 2020, 06:59:01 PM »

This week I rid myself of a life time collection of buttons. You know, the spare buttons you get when you buy a garment. Mother always said to never through away buttons because its good to have spares. She sewed, I don't. I can't remember when I used one of those spare buttons. I felt naughty but victorious when I let them go!

I thought if you got rid of those buttons, you didn't get to go to heaven! Lol! 

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4256 on: October 28, 2020, 07:24:22 PM »

I thought if you got rid of those buttons, you didn't get to go to heaven! Lol!

Bugger.. too late now they're gone.

slackmax

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4257 on: October 29, 2020, 08:29:50 AM »
Put 5 more items on Craigslist. Hopeful.

Tidying up here and there, moving stuff around to take up less space.

Found an unusual piece of furniture under other clutter. A small coffee table with a 2-drawer cabinet mounted to one half of it.  Maybe I'll put it out front with a free sign.   

LaineyAZ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4258 on: October 29, 2020, 08:40:50 AM »
Posting to note an item that you *don't* want to get rid of:  some old towels.  I had a mini-flood in my kitchen this week, and of course the first thing I reached for was 2 old towels I had on hand.  So please learn from my experience.

I know this thread is about decluttering, but we all have those messy emergencies where a few old towels or rags really comes in handy. 
Minimalism is good, practicality is better.    Pardon the interruption, please continue decluttering!

SunnyDays

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4259 on: October 29, 2020, 11:18:44 AM »
Posting to note an item that you *don't* want to get rid of:  some old towels.  I had a mini-flood in my kitchen this week, and of course the first thing I reached for was 2 old towels I had on hand.  So please learn from my experience.

I know this thread is about decluttering, but we all have those messy emergencies where a few old towels or rags really comes in handy. 
Minimalism is good, practicality is better.    Pardon the interruption, please continue decluttering!

So true.  I actually brought home 2 ratty hand towels I found at a relative's place because I'm forever washing floors with 3 pets.  I have 2 kinds of wet mops, but these are just easier.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4260 on: October 29, 2020, 10:57:53 PM »

Agree! I have a stack of old towels and some cloth nappies from my kids ( ie25 years old) in a some open shelving in my hallway. So handy for 3 dogs and general messes. I am NOT decluttering them, but at some point I want them out of the hallway..I'm trying to find a vacant spot somewhere that is equally accessible.

slackmax

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4261 on: October 30, 2020, 05:16:15 AM »
Rainy day here. While looking through all the coats and slickers hanging on the wall by the front
door, I came across two coats that were dirty but cleanable, then saw that they both had big tears
in them. Tossed em both!  Coat rack less packed now. 

Sibley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4262 on: October 30, 2020, 03:09:24 PM »

Agree! I have a stack of old towels and some cloth nappies from my kids ( ie25 years old) in a some open shelving in my hallway. So handy for 3 dogs and general messes. I am NOT decluttering them, but at some point I want them out of the hallway..I'm trying to find a vacant spot somewhere that is equally accessible.

Yep! Though for certain messes, I use paper towels. It's pretty much the only thing I use paper towels for though.

okcisok

• Bristles
« Reply #4263 on: October 30, 2020, 05:56:53 PM »
Sold a couple of items on FB today. I had gotten them for free to refinish but over a month went by and I didn't, so off they went to their new home. And I made a profit on them.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #4264 on: October 31, 2020, 05:35:55 AM »

Yep! Though for certain messes, I use paper towels. It's pretty much the only thing I use paper towels for though.

Paper towels FTW.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4265 on: October 31, 2020, 03:06:13 PM »
I can't believe I actually have some success to post!  I spent about an hour and a half in the basement.  Most of it was just putting summer things away and rearranging a bit, but I broke down a huge pile of random boxes, some left over from moving, some that have just accumulated.  We have a trip planned tomorrow that will take us past a recycling drop off wagon so it should be gone quickly! I took two grocery bags of trash out.  Pleased that there wasn't a whole lot of trash. 

I also cleaned and sorted the spice cabinet and put down the shelf liner I bought in the summer. I'm slowly but surely getting it through the whole kitchen.  Not much to throw out there, but now I'm refreshed on what we have and I moved a packet of cider spices to the front so we'll use them up. 

I installed an extra smoke detector we've had laying around since we moved in. We already have plenty to pass the local fire departments inspection, but I figured if we have it, we might as well use it.  Now it's not laying on the basement steps waiting to trip one of us. 

Why does my spouse fill the basement steps with stuff!?!  I recycled or found homes for all of it!  Amazing.

There are so many more little things on my list, but I need to stop for the day.  Hoping I can pick up that momentum again soon.

slackmax

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4266 on: November 01, 2020, 09:35:07 AM »
Micro decluttering here and there. Throwing out some stuff, donating some. Will make myself pick out at least one cardboard box in the basement stash to add to tomorrow's recycling pickup.   

edit to add:  while going through the garage shelves I found some preserves from years ago. Took them inside and put them in the fridge and forgot about them.

Yesterday I finally opened one up. Blueberry jam from 1991. Yes, 1991. Still good!  Had some on toast.  Will sell the empty jar at flea market next year.   

« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 09:39:37 AM by slackmax »

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #4267 on: November 01, 2020, 09:53:22 AM »
Spent several hours this weekend deep cleaning my living room and kitchen. Mostly decluttered a ton of dust and grime, but did get rid of a few odds and ends. I also managed to store a few things better, so there is less stuff out for me to look at. The visual change is small, but it's made a big impact in how I feel being in the space.

Raenia

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4268 on: November 01, 2020, 09:54:21 AM »
Changed over my dresser to winter wardrobe and put away the summer stuff - while doing the transfer, I pulled my three oldest/most worn out sweaters and set them aside.  If I don't miss them within a month or two, they'll go in the donate box.  I like to do this with items I'm not sure about, ever since I donated something that I later realized I didn't have enough of, and had to buy another.

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #4269 on: November 01, 2020, 11:42:56 AM »
I've had a bit of unintentional decluttering, as I discovered a tribe of carpet beetles had been feasting in my linen closet... Most items were fine, as I switch out my sheets often, but an extra blanket and two pillows were thoroughly chewed out. Had to toss those, washed the rest on high.

Carpet beetles suck... you don't see them until you look for them and when you do... they're suddenly everywhere!

NotJen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4270 on: November 01, 2020, 01:24:27 PM »
Listed a couple kitchen items on Friday, and sold a blender today - putting me over $1000 made on FB Marketplace since February.

Still disappointed no one is interested in my glassware yet.  But I'm loving the new space in my cabinets while the extras are in the "for sale" room.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4271 on: November 02, 2020, 05:03:57 AM »
Micro decluttering here and there. Throwing out some stuff, donating some. Will make myself pick out at least one cardboard box in the basement stash to add to tomorrow's recycling pickup.   

edit to add:  while going through the garage shelves I found some preserves from years ago. Took them inside and put them in the fridge and forgot about them.

Yesterday I finally opened one up. Blueberry jam from 1991. Yes, 1991. Still good!  Had some on toast.  Will sell the empty jar at flea market next year.   

How many boxes do you have stashed, and what for?

slackmax

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4272 on: November 02, 2020, 07:55:06 AM »

How many? Oh, about 50, I guess. But many are packed inside other boxes, so as not to take up as much room. I have various sizes, from small to large.  Yeah, too many, perhaps, but way less than I had a while ago. Every once in a while, I have use for one.  I keep them around for 'just in case'. 

I picked out two big ones this morning for the recycling.

Frugal Lizard

• Magnum Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #4273 on: November 02, 2020, 08:15:41 AM »
This weekend flew by.  I did so many little tidying jobs and while nothing large left our house, so many little bits and bobs found the right way out (compost, recycling or landfill) including a number of mysterious items from the freezer. 

SunnyDays

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4274 on: November 02, 2020, 08:59:47 AM »

How many? Oh, about 50, I guess. But many are packed inside other boxes, so as not to take up as much room. I have various sizes, from small to large.  Yeah, too many, perhaps, but way less than I had a while ago. Every once in a while, I have use for one.  I keep them around for 'just in case'. 

I picked out two big ones this morning for the recycling.

At least boxes are harmless, but eating jam that's 30 years old (especially home canned) can be downright dangerous, as in botulism!  Your health is worth more than that.  Throw the rest out!

oneday

• Magnum Stache
  • Knit, bike, breathe. Repeat. - 94
« Reply #4275 on: November 02, 2020, 05:11:43 PM »
Mini declutter: two rarely-used kitchen tools and a stained glass leaf (carefully wrapped in bubble wrap) added to Room Mate's donation box. Also chucked two tubes of glue that were dried up.

Motivation is low right now, as I'll move in early March. February is mentally designated as packing-and-decluttering month. So it was nice to find these few things to clear out. I feel weird when not decluttering.

marion10

• Bristles
« Reply #4276 on: November 05, 2020, 10:01:12 AM »
Sent off old college t- shirts to be made into a quilt. I had a bunch of doilies made by my MIL and her mother that I hadnít done anything with. I contacted all eight of her grandchildren and 7 of them wanted some- I split them up and mailed them off.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4277 on: November 06, 2020, 05:12:34 AM »
I dropped off 3 boxes that are mostly outgrown kids clothes.

We build a LFL and thought we would be able to get rid of books that way. Instead other people are filling it up with their books! Noooooo! And often they are very out of date books that it is unlikely anyone would want. I will be cleaning it out this weekend and trashing a bunch.

I also donated two large ugly paintings. They hung in my grandparents house so I have fond memories, but they are awful and I will never hang them so out they go!

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4278 on: November 06, 2020, 02:44:47 PM »
Closet in my bedroom is out of control! I don't have enough room to squeeze a sheet of paper in there.

I have to do some serious decluttering. UGH, where do I even begin...

SunnyDays

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4279 on: November 06, 2020, 03:59:51 PM »
Closet in my bedroom is out of control! I don't have enough room to squeeze a sheet of paper in there.

I have to do some serious decluttering. UGH, where do I even begin...

Use the Konmari method.  Itís really helpful when youíre dealing with large amounts of stuff.

Swish

• Stubble
« Reply #4280 on: November 06, 2020, 09:53:12 PM »
So round 2 I cleaned out the garage of a ton of junk. Hope this motivates some of you to get off your butts and free up a parking spot. We can now fit the car in the garage again!

Chainsaw - $350
Skill saw - $50
Spare wrenches - $40
LEGO phone - $25
Tonka truck - $5
Clipboard - $3
Corelle dishes - $30
Bike - $20
Bunk bed - $200
Bar table - $125
Memory stick - $4
Extension cord - $4
Dora wallet - $2
Motherboard - $10
Graphics card - $20
WeeRide copilot - $40
Helmets - $8
Shoe bench - $50
Baby chair - $3
Shop vac - $40
Toy chest - $10
Pro shop Voucher - $100
Random lights - $10
Fridge - $500
Outlet - $5
Worklamps - $20
Axe - $5
Fan - $5
Clock - $4
Art - $35
Grinder - $15
Cooler - $30
Laptop Battery - $8
Reciprocating saw - $40
Bouncer - $25
Bike - $35
Tv stand - $125
Skate bar - $5
Oscillating saw - $50
Diesel oil - $20
Chainsaw sharpener - $30
Chariot stroller - $650

Total: $2,756
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 09:55:44 PM by Swish »

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4281 on: November 06, 2020, 10:47:00 PM »
I was able to get rid of our halloween decorations and costume accessories -- two good size boxes, on Nov 1st through a buy nothing group.   I was pleased, it was good stuff but not the kind of thing most people want to store. (me included).

I cleared through two filing cabinets and tossed (and shredded) approx 2 file boxes worth of materials, while keeping the few good items that were mixed in.  Including old tax records.   I had stayed away from this task for 5 years now.   whoo!

slackmax

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4282 on: November 07, 2020, 03:40:46 PM »
So round 2 I cleaned out the garage of a ton of junk. Hope this motivates some of you to get off your butts and free up a parking spot. We can now fit the car in the garage again!

Chainsaw - $350
Skill saw - $50
Spare wrenches - $40
LEGO phone - $25
Tonka truck - $5
Clipboard - $3
Corelle dishes - $30
Bike - $20
Bunk bed - $200
Bar table - $125
Memory stick - $4
Extension cord - $4
Dora wallet - $2
Motherboard - $10
Graphics card - $20
WeeRide copilot - $40
Helmets - $8
Shoe bench - $50
Baby chair - $3
Shop vac - $40
Toy chest - $10
Pro shop Voucher - $100
Random lights - $10
Fridge - $500
Outlet - $5
Worklamps - $20
Axe - $5
Fan - $5
Clock - $4
Art - $35
Grinder - $15
Cooler - $30
Laptop Battery - $8
Reciprocating saw - $40
Bouncer - $25
Bike - $35
Tv stand - $125
Skate bar - $5
Oscillating saw - $50
Diesel oil - $20
Chainsaw sharpener - $30
Chariot stroller - $650

Total: $2,756

Wow! High prices. Where do you live? How did you sell the stuff? Yard  sale?

Sibley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4283 on: November 07, 2020, 04:38:07 PM »
I decluttered the yard of 3 trash cans full of yard waste and 2 huge piles of leaves (plus another 2 piles of leaves that were in my neighbor's front yard). Trash day is Thursday. Yes, they send yard waste to the landfill rather than composting. The leaves are composted I believe. I think the leaf vacuum truck will be around on Wednesday.

Not all the leaves are down, but the big maple dropped 90% and the oak about half. The other 3 trees are much smaller, and are in varying states of dropping their leaves.

Also working on consolidating all the Christmas presents to one location, from which I can organize and wrap. Have to ship everything this year, so trying to get stuff sent out by early December.

Edit: sigh. Overnight, a smallish tree dropped something like 60% of its leaves.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 11:37:26 AM by Sibley »

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4284 on: November 08, 2020, 10:00:30 AM »
We did a lot of cleaning and organizing yesterday - getting to the point where there is less to get rid of when I clean/organize/declutter a space.  I did the kitchen yesterday, and all that I got rid of were some miscellaneous food containers that someone on Buy Nothing wanted.

We had a bunch of boxes cluttering up the entryway/dining room that we'd never broken down and recycled, so DW did that yesterday and they're in the car waiting to go to cardboard recycling.  We also had some random kid craft supplies that someone gave us early in the pandemic - some were decent so I put them away and the rest were trashed because they weren't really donatable.

I've been focusing a lot on the things I can control in our house without the cooperation of DW and the kids - it's done wonders for my sanity to let go a little.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4285 on: November 08, 2020, 10:25:14 AM »
Today I cleaned out most of the hall closet. Mostly got rid of packaging and actually put stuff away properly, not TOO much to throw away.

Right when hand sanitizer started becoming available I'd buy a bottle each week. Now we have 8 bottles and the virus is mostly airborne. Oh well! Will hold onto those until this roller coaster is over.

Prairie Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4286 on: November 08, 2020, 12:20:52 PM »
Not a lot of de-cluttering happening here lately (actually I've been letting too many things in the door, but that is another matter), but I did turf some old pots. Put some books in the donation box, and have an old oil painting out to list for sale. I also have a wok type thing that is meant for the BBQ out, and I will either donate or try to sell it. Probably just donate as it is probably only worth $5 even though it is brand new. I also have a vintage window frame with a wreath on it that I am going to try to sell. Already sold one for $50.

Sibley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4287 on: November 08, 2020, 02:26:26 PM »
Well, my neighbor is decluttering. He came over and asked if I want a 17 year old new in box track light that's been in his garage. Yes, I took it. I have no need for it so I will discreetly donate it. This guy really needs to do declutter, so I'll give him a hand.

oneday

• Magnum Stache
  • Knit, bike, breathe. Repeat. - 94
« Reply #4288 on: November 08, 2020, 03:15:37 PM »
Was given a cute mug yesterday. Fitting this into my cupboard helped me realize I didn't need a tumbler I've been holding on to for two years. Talk about one in, one out! :)

slackmax

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4289 on: November 08, 2020, 04:53:46 PM »
Was given a cute mug yesterday. Fitting this into my cupboard helped me realize I didn't need a tumbler I've been holding on to for two years. Talk about one in, one out! :)
Thanks for the segue. Today at the flea market I sold a beer mug and a coffee mug. It is SO hard to sell glassware! Woohoo ! 

okcisok

• Bristles
« Reply #4290 on: November 08, 2020, 06:05:50 PM »
Today I made a sweep through and filled up a donation bag. In addition, decided to get rid of a couch cover/pet protector I'd bought that didn't quite fit the couch and a pair of jeans that I never wear.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Magnum Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4291 on: November 09, 2020, 08:04:03 AM »
Organized our toiletries yesterday. Didn't get rid of anything, but reacquainted myself with what we have, which will prevent future unnecessary purchases.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #4292 on: November 09, 2020, 03:38:52 PM »
Organized our toiletries yesterday. Didn't get rid of anything, but reacquainted myself with what we have, which will prevent future unnecessary purchases.

After buying herbs we already had last weekend, this may be a good idea for me too.

okcisok

• Bristles
« Reply #4293 on: November 09, 2020, 06:05:10 PM »
Actually dropped the donations off at Goodwill today! I did pull one pair of jeans out of the bag when I realized they would make great shorts as the legs were the part that didn't fit right.

Found a few items that can go to SO's house that I no longer need but he would use.

The nine-day power outage decluttered my fridge and freezer for me. :/ Luckily, I'd been participating in the Eat All the Food in Your House challenge in another thread, so it could have been much worse. A couple of pounds each of meat, fruit, and vegetables, and a couple of leftover meals I'd frozen for later meals. I cleaned it out completely and wiped out fridge and freezer with a vinegar solution and aired it out until the power came back on. As Ma Ingalls would say, "There's no big loss without some small gain".

lazycow

• Stubble
« Reply #4294 on: November 09, 2020, 06:43:10 PM »
I keep a drawer in my ensuite for Zero Waste stuff like used metal razor blades, old contact lenses and packaging, plastic tubes for shampoo etc that are not recyclable in normal bins, old plastic toothbrushes and toothpaste tubes, and (urgh, I know, used biodegradeable silk floss and hair clippings as I regularly trim my hair - head hair I mean!) This drawer of disgustingness is now full and I need to take everything out to: metal recyclers, The Body Shop (plastic and empty makeup containers), and our local council takes old oral hygiene stuff, and my compost bin for hair and floss.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4295 on: November 09, 2020, 07:25:29 PM »
@lazycow That is awesome!!  Thank you so much for going to that effort.

Around here we have small wins:

While making dinner I found we had two partial containers of curry spice.  Combined them in to one.

The bulb on the porch blew and when I went to replace it tonight the first bulb I tried was blown as well. It was an old one we'd removed from another fixture that had multiple bulbs and was far too bright. Both are gone now. How long have we been storing a dead lightbulb!? hah!

Our big win recently was using a pile of lumber that "came with the house" to rebuild the platform for the washer and dryer. Our basement is so much tidier and there is so much space now! 

We've got the old pieces outside now and will need to get it into the trash a little at a time.  Some of the old wood was non-treated so we'll burn it the next time we have friends over for a bonfire.

We finally completed some plumbing projects we bought parts for months ago.

We're inching our way closer to significant closet clean outs, I'm mentally letting go of a few things, but the weather has been fantastic so we've been spending time outdoors and will save that work for a rainy day.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4296 on: November 09, 2020, 09:10:54 PM »
Decluttered and organized our upstairs hall closet yesterday.  Posted 20 things on Buy Nothing and got takers for 15 of them.  Now I just hope everyone comes and gets stuff.

Dutch Comfort

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4297 on: November 10, 2020, 12:24:39 AM »
Sold a few outgrown children's clothes and some books. Will be in the mail and out of the house today. Unfortunately, the first holiday presents will be delivered today, which I will need to hide somewhere. Hoping that the other family members will stick to the wishlists I sent them for the kids and not give them junk......

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4298 on: November 10, 2020, 11:05:28 AM »
I finally put a list on our fridge door of what vegetables we have in the fridge. I don't know why I didn't do this ages ago. Turns out it really helps with the fridge clutter and not letting any veggies go to waste.

mspym

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4299 on: November 10, 2020, 12:57:39 PM »
I finally put a list on our fridge door of what vegetables we have in the fridge. I don't know why I didn't do this ages ago. Turns out it really helps with the fridge clutter and not letting any veggies go to waste.
I do that and also make a note on my shopping list of what vegetables we have plenty of so I don't accidentally re-buy. [It turns out we eat a lot of frozen peas, but we don't need 5kg in our freezer] The other thing I do is have the rough meal plan on the shopping list which helps me not over-purchase fresh produce that doesn't have an associated meal.