Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1249184 times)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #2050 on: January 28, 2019, 04:07:45 PM »
@plainjane - you may be able to deduct the cost of your improvements on your taxes to reduce your capital gains when you go to sell, and receipts/invoices would help. Not sure where you live or what your situation is, but just a shout out that specific improvements can be useful to track for the lifetime of ownership.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2051 on: January 28, 2019, 06:55:19 PM »
I spent the entire day decluttering and my car and the big garbage can is full.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2052 on: January 29, 2019, 01:59:05 AM »
@SimpleCycle we have a toy rotation system too, but I think you're describing a different problem, if I read your post correctly. There are toys that your kids have outgrown, or they were just never interested in, which your wife doesn't feel ready to pass on. Is that right?

We haven't reached that stage with toys yet. We get rid of the ones we feel don't/didn't provide enough value, but are still in the life stage where good toys our toddler has outgrown get boxed up for the hypothetical next kid. What has helped my husband generally with letting go of items is using the Marie Kondo trick of thanking the item for its service, plus (mostly) listing things on Buy Nothing, where we know someone actively wants the item, instead of taking it to charity where it may or may not be wanted.

I suspect when we're done having kids, he will feel very attached to certain toys and want to keep more than I do. We'll compromise somewhere between the one or two I'll want to keep and his much higher number. It helps that we agree on some things that are 100% worth keeping (Duplo and Lego!) for hypothetical grandkids.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2053 on: January 29, 2019, 11:42:30 AM »
Party decorations from our last birthday party are in a bag by the front door, awaiting pickup by a neighbor.  Two bags of clothes and books are in the front passenger seat of the car, where they will ride around with me until I get fed up and finally drop them off.  I give it about a week before that happens.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2054 on: January 29, 2019, 11:44:56 AM »
In the above mentioned bag, there are some battered but very beloved children's books that were read multiple times by all my kids. I took some photos of them, but in retrospect I wish I'd taken photos of the kids reading them.  It would have been easier to give up a lot of these items if I had taken more photos of the children. I don't know why I never did, I need to start!

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2055 on: January 29, 2019, 01:55:23 PM »
@plainjane - you may be able to deduct the cost of your improvements on your taxes to reduce your capital gains when you go to sell, and receipts/invoices would help. Not sure where you live or what your situation is, but just a shout out that specific improvements can be useful to track for the lifetime of ownership.

Yes, I'm keeping improvement work receipts. But the "every fall and every spring I pay someone to clean my eaves" - that I don't think is useful. Plus I only kept them at the beginning, and we've been here 12 years.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2056 on: January 29, 2019, 02:52:04 PM »
Reporting from my mum's house: I just threw out some moisteriser that was mine from before I moved out of Chch. So, 1999 ish. She has four (4) coffee plungers and does not drink coffee. On the plus side, we made some furniture decisions which has knock on effects to how much bedding to keep and we are going to work through the bookshelves and donate everything she is not going to keep.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2057 on: January 29, 2019, 04:23:56 PM »
Dropped off the load to donate that has been in my car the past week.  I didn't realize how infrequently I go that way.  Already seeing new things to go, as soon as I walked in the door.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #2058 on: January 30, 2019, 10:57:23 PM »
Tossed a stretched out bra.  One out, none in!  I feel accomplished.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2059 on: January 31, 2019, 06:35:50 AM »
Moved a few things on facebook from my local buy group to the marketplace group.
Sold a baby outfit for $6 yesterday, and a filing cabinet for $15. 

Not much money; but it's nice to get a couple bucks instead of giving everything away.  I still give almost everything away though...it's just easier.

Today is the last day of the "minimalism challenge".  I did all 31 days, so that's more than 496 items gone from that challenge.  (If I was throwing away, say, paper clutter on day 8- I threw away a giant stack, not just 8 pieces, so I went over the amount.)   I've probably gotten rid of 1,000 items in January when I combine it with the #hugyourhome tasks, and just general decluttering that started before I counted for the challenge.

And yet, it barely makes a dent...

The big challenge now is to sell our old bedroom set. I hate to just give it away.  I know I could donate it, but the inability to itemize really removes that incentive.  I still donate to the charities I am personally passionate about, but I liked the trade off of a small reward for giving places my stuff...

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2060 on: January 31, 2019, 09:43:26 AM »
Spent last 3 days working all day long and 2 carloads to thrift store and copious amounts of garbage. I have been at this for years so at this point we are pretty lean and mean:))

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2061 on: January 31, 2019, 09:15:32 PM »

A question for my fellow declutterers with kids - what do you do about their toys?  My kids are 3.5 and almost 2 and still have more toys than I'd like them to have, but every time I put something in the donate bag my wife pulls it out and tells me about a time that one of the kids loved playing with that object. ....

In addition to the rotation system you and others mentioned.... here is how I dealt with DH wanting to keep "special" toys.

I put together the donation box with the outgrown toys and ones the kids just did not like.   DH went through and pulled out the "keepers" in his mind, special toys or ones with real play value.   I then put these into another box and put it away in storage.   I ended up with two large boxes, by the time the kids were 10 (mostly of toys for ages 5 and under, but a few good items for building kits).

7 years later, I was able to pull out these boxes and have now donated 75% of what was in them.  With time and distance, one can see that the special toddler toy does not really matter, and that having more than one or two items to save for future unknown grandchildren is ridiculous because we could buy something new in future.... not all the toys are holding their interest value after all.

Of course, this only works if you have space for 2 largish boxes of toys in storage, but if you were fighitng the toy clutter like I was, that would seem like a dream.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2062 on: January 31, 2019, 10:21:31 PM »
Did a linen closet audit and sorted all the smaller items into four storage bags. Much easier to find things and maybe it’ll be time to let go of some pillowcases soon...

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2063 on: February 01, 2019, 07:00:31 AM »
Agh!  Decluttering fail.  I joined a local group to give away items and I forgot to put out an item this AM like I said I would (didn't want to do it last night given the cold).  Now I'm feeling horrible they may have driven out to my house for no reason.  I hope they saw the facebook message this AM before they left their house.  (I don't check facebook except for specific reasons myself, so I wouldn't have seen it, plus it was an hour after I said I'd put it out.) 

Also, decluttering fail for taking more things in through this group than I've given away now, and much bigger items to boot, because not everything I've posted has been taken.  But my toddler has been pretty excited for the toys (duplos, play dough accessories, and ride on car) I picked up through it for him and I can pass them on through the group later.

Need2Save

• Bristles
« Reply #2064 on: February 01, 2019, 08:54:22 AM »
We are over 150 items decluttered so far this year (since 1/1)! It is is def. getting harder but I take that as a sign that we are getting closer to only having things we are actively using right now. I also have mental list of items that will def. be purged in our final 6 months of working (not until late 2021/early 2022 unfortunately).

As I'm working on taxes now, I'm carefully sorting our medical bills getting ready to scan bills/EOBs we want to save for HSA tracking purposes. I'll keep temporarily with tax papers and shred in three years along with other tax paperwork (scanned and saved the important stuff). Also gives me the opportunity to shred additional account statements that we may still get but do not need to retain. We switched to electronic for many of these so they are decreasing. I worked hard in 2018 to get all our files into one filing drawer and I'm committed to not increase this size so the end of the year is the perfect time to see if anything else can be pitched or shredded!

@plainjane - I appreciated your comments about keeping something for potential buyers. I think you are right to let some of those things go because the buyers will not care about proof of regular maintenance. I do have a box with the original printed plans for our current house and some various booklets that go with appliances. Since it's in one box, it's not bothering me much. I also kept receipts for recent major projects like our master bathroom remodel and the new roof we put on last year, but I pitched a lot of stuff that the previous owners had also saved for us.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #2065 on: February 01, 2019, 09:50:00 AM »
When I was looking for some notions for a sewing projects I happened on some boxes of my Gramma's notions.  As I have no intention of getting into doll making or wedding dress making ever, a whole shoe box of over lace and ribbon and doll hair are in the pile to go away. 

I am finding it very easy to just say goodbye to random items in my day to day activities if I have a designated place to put them once I have identified that they need to go.  One shelf in the basement has a few zones where various items can go until they either get disassembled for recycling, donated to the church or the mission store or handed down to others.  Also having a bin for each waste stream in the same area is helping too.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2066 on: February 01, 2019, 03:37:19 PM »
Listed 115 pieces of the kid's outgrown clothes for the spring consignment sale.  I've designated almost everything to be donated if it doesn't sell.  I think everything is underpriced, except maybe the cloth diapers, so I think they'll go fast.  I'm limited to 200 items, so I've still got a bunch more room to list things.  What ever isn't sold or donated will go in the fall sale. 

I have to admit that it was hard pulling out the little bitty baby clothes.  My "baby" is 5.  I'm excited about seeing the person he''s going to become, and I don't really want another kid, but seeing those little outfits was tough.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2067 on: February 02, 2019, 07:45:38 PM »
Well, it's just one thing... But I got rid of a reversible sequin pillowcase cover.

A friend's daughter played with the pillow for like 2 hours today. So I asked them if they wanted it, and they were thrilled.  Yay :)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2068 on: February 04, 2019, 04:25:36 PM »
I had piled up my donations on the spare bed waiting for the flood of donations to local charity stops to ease before I took in my bags.

Then a relative asked last night if they could stay tonight.

... sure.

So everything has been poked back in cupboards.

I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by the stuff lately and I'm itching to get home and deal with it.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2069 on: February 04, 2019, 04:39:40 PM »
A carload of donations dropped off from my mum's house *and* we have a list of what furniture will be donated/sold as soon as the house is sold plus a list of what she will be moving to the new (smaller) house.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2070 on: February 04, 2019, 04:49:49 PM »
Finally found a place semi-locally that takes electronics to recycle.  I've had a box full of cords, old electronics, and a broken printer for so long I can't remember when it started.  Loaded the box in the car, we'll drop it off the next time we go to the movies (it's a few towns over, but in the same area as the theater we go to).  Probably early March, when we see Captain Marvel :).

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #2071 on: February 04, 2019, 05:01:25 PM »
I got rid of a big boxfull of collectables that I'd saved from someone's rubbish thinking I could sell them. Well I didn't manage to and I gave them away for free. SO MUCH INTEREST! Hopefully the person that took then does a better job than me.

Also someone is taking some bulky sports kit that I no longer have an interest in. I thought I'd given it away ages ago, so I think hubby might have diverted it from charity and put it in the garage! He saw the light though the other weekend and asked me if I wanted to give it away.

Also, I think I'm going to get ruthless with bed linen. It just yellows and goes manky in the cupboard, noone ever stays in the spare room so I'm thinking we only need three sets.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 05:06:11 PM by Fresh Bread »

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2072 on: February 04, 2019, 05:45:31 PM »
* Plastic file slot thingie (found a quarter inside while cleaning before donating!)
* Mismatched plate
* Extra milk-glass mixing bowl

Plus installed three hooks I bought on closeout

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #2073 on: February 04, 2019, 07:40:31 PM »
I had been keeping a small pile of odd socks that I assumed were my wife's, looking to match them up later.  She looked at them as said they were our daughters.  A quick photo and message, and neither of them claimed the socks.  Out they went.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2074 on: February 05, 2019, 02:39:35 AM »
I had piled up my donations on the spare bed waiting for the flood of donations to local charity stops to ease before I took in my bags.

Then a relative asked last night if they could stay tonight.

... sure.

So everything has been poked back in cupboards.

I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by the stuff lately and I'm itching to get home and deal with it.

I mentioned the decluttering to the guest and said, "If you ever need a Moleskin notebook, let me know."

He took three!

That's three less in my cupboard. (I get given dozens of them a year through work.)

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2075 on: February 05, 2019, 03:36:33 AM »
@mustachepungoeshere I am slowly working my way through the backlog of moleskines and field notes books Ofpym accumulated in his Design Years. How do they build up so fast and never get used?

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #2076 on: February 05, 2019, 05:08:20 AM »
I decided to do Marie Kondo (using her book), and, well...

I did not realise I owned this many clothes.

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #2077 on: February 05, 2019, 05:09:19 AM »

Forgot to add: this isn't including the washing basket full of dirty washing, the washing currently in the washing machine, or the washing currently in the tumble dryer.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2078 on: February 05, 2019, 06:37:38 AM »

Forgot to add: this isn't including the washing basket full of dirty washing, the washing currently in the washing machine, or the washing currently in the tumble dryer.

I did that a few years ago when I read her book.  I took a picture (that I've since deleted), because lined up with just enough overlap to see all of the patterns, my skirts and sundresses took up an entire 10 foot banister around my stairs.  I can't even wear skirts to work! 

As soon as I'm done being pregnant and am at a semi-normal size, I'm doing it again, for sure.

My trunk is currently full of 3 giant boxes of diapers in size 4 and 5 that our toddler outgrew.  I'm donating them to a homeless shelter, because I don't want to save them for two years for this current baby.  I'm excited to get rid of them in a useful place.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2079 on: February 05, 2019, 07:24:23 AM »
This is why Marie has you take everything out. 
Because you are so used to seeing it in the closet and drawers, it just doesn't seem like that much, and seems like it belongs.  It's when we get it out that we realize it's insane!

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2080 on: February 05, 2019, 09:05:17 AM »
When we bought our house about 5 years ago, my mom dropped off boxes and boxes of stuff from my childhood - and my old bike* I had when I was about 12.  I went through the boxes immediately, but the bike languished.  After continually moving it around to make space to fit the car in the garage**/get at things in the office, it finally went to a second home last night!  I've been getting rid of little items recently, so I'm particularly excited to a see bigger footprint item go.   The office has also become a dumping ground of late so hopefully this will inspire a good cleanout (if I can ever find the time with a toddler).

*Not to worry, I have another bike.
**We don't have that much stuff, but the 1930s one car garage is very small and barely fits a Civic plus necessary tools like reel mower, shovels, etc.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2081 on: February 05, 2019, 01:33:34 PM »
I took back a bunch of Xmas stuff to costco that my Mom had bought for my daughter and I.... and got $128! Turned right around and spent it on groceries. :)

I did have to bribe my daughter with a piece of chocolate because she saw I was returning a giant (HUGE) reverse sequin pillow that was (a) tacky (b) unusable as an actual pillow and (c) had the WORST disney character ever on it. But in the end, she got chocolate and I got rid of crap so I'm happy.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2082 on: February 05, 2019, 01:55:07 PM »
I took back a bunch of Xmas stuff to costco that my Mom had bought for my daughter and I.... and got $128! Turned right around and spent it on groceries. :)

I did have to bribe my daughter with a piece of chocolate because she saw I was returning a giant (HUGE) reverse sequin pillow that was (a) tacky (b) unusable as an actual pillow and (c) had the WORST disney character ever on it. But in the end, she got chocolate and I got rid of crap so I'm happy.

Lol now I am wondering which of the disney characters is the worst one!  Sebastian?  Pumba?  Jon Smith? 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2083 on: February 05, 2019, 03:03:07 PM »

Lol now I am wondering which of the disney characters is the worst one!  Sebastian?  Pumba?  Jon Smith?

caillou Isn’t a Disney character right? 😂

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2084 on: February 05, 2019, 03:42:13 PM »
Not Disney, and my kids loved Caillou, apparently.   It helps if you realize the original is in French.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2085 on: February 05, 2019, 07:42:09 PM »
@mustachepungoeshere I am slowly working my way through the backlog of moleskines and field notes books Ofpym accumulated in his Design Years. How do they build up so fast and never get used?

I know!

And I'm always balancing the minimalist part of my nature with the frugal part.

I could get rid of x but then if I need it I will have to pay for it.

It's a bit of a problem area for me with possible gifts that I score through work: books, candle holders, high-end bath products, etc.

Happily, a friend has just announced that she's pregnant so I'm parting with a baby book and a stuffed animal (both new with tags) from the gift stash. I will buy her a proper gift when she has a baby shower, but this is just to say congratulations. And ... to get these things out of my house!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2086 on: February 05, 2019, 07:50:20 PM »

I know!

It's a bit of a problem area for me with possible gifts that I score through work: books, candle holders, high-end bath products, etc.

Happily, a friend has just announced that she's pregnant so I'm parting with a baby book and a stuffed animal (both new with tags) from the gift stash. I will buy her a proper gift when she has a baby shower, but this is just to say congratulations. And ... to get these things out of my house!

I would offer to take some but, as noted, we already have quite the stash. Still doesn't stop the urge for all the new pretty ones tho'

PS in my brain, your forum name is Mustache Pungo

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2087 on: February 05, 2019, 08:20:47 PM »

I know!

I would offer to take some but, as noted, we already have quite the stash. Still doesn't stop the urge for all the new pretty ones tho'

PS in my brain, your forum name is Mustache Pungo

Pungo. I get that a lot.

It makes up for me seeing @partgypsy as partygypsy for years.

Literally just opened a desk drawer at work and found a huge pink make-up case full of products that I forgot I stashed there two weeks ago. Oh god...

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #2088 on: February 06, 2019, 12:02:41 AM »

I did that a few years ago when I read her book.  I took a picture (that I've since deleted), because lined up with just enough overlap to see all of the patterns, my skirts and sundresses took up an entire 10 foot banister around my stairs.  I can't even wear skirts to work! 

As soon as I'm done being pregnant and am at a semi-normal size, I'm doing it again, for sure.

My trunk is currently full of 3 giant boxes of diapers in size 4 and 5 that our toddler outgrew.  I'm donating them to a homeless shelter, because I don't want to save them for two years for this current baby.  I'm excited to get rid of them in a useful place.
This is why Marie has you take everything out. 
Because you are so used to seeing it in the closet and drawers, it just doesn't seem like that much, and seems like it belongs.  It's when we get it out that we realize it's insane!

It really works, so far. :) I managed to go through all of that pile yesterday except for my socks, and I've now got a pile downstairs ready to take to the charity shop (and a few things for the bin that are broken but I'd been keeping because I liked to wear them before they were broken...)

I think after this I'll be able to store my socks in my chest of drawers again, rather than putting them in a separate box on my floor due to lack of space.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2089 on: February 06, 2019, 10:43:47 AM »

Hahaha, I guess this is totally personal opinion, but it was the little mermaid.

Married at 16 against her father's sane wishes to a man she gives up her voice, family, and life for.  Who only loves her because of her singing. Who literally is marrying someone else 5 minutes before they get married. UGH.

https://www.thegamer.com/disney-things-wrong-with-little-mermaid-ignore/

PS I have a daughter so YMMV.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2090 on: February 06, 2019, 03:32:45 PM »
Literally just opened a desk drawer at work and found a huge pink make-up case full of products that I forgot I stashed there two weeks ago. Oh god...

Ok, this turned out to be quite fortuitous.

My parents have been renovating their IP and my cousin's wife spent yesterday helping my mum clean up the house now that the tradies have finished.

She refused to be paid for her time, so my mum is putting together a hamper of goodies to say thank you. I checked the RRP on this kit - it's $200 worth of make-up and skincare products. Perfect.

My work also has a very liberal "free to good home" policy (if there is stuff on the floor in a certain area, it's up for grabs) so I brought in two books to release back into the wild.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2091 on: February 06, 2019, 07:49:33 PM »
Pared down 2 extended length filing cabinet drawers to 1/4 of a drawer. Also, I think I reported I sold the filing cabinet for $15.

So the papers are now in one of my craft cabinets, but that's ok

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #2092 on: February 07, 2019, 01:08:14 PM »
Last night, traded away:
  • Giant Casio keyboard (given to me from my mother)
  • Rack effect unit (had it for years, haven't used it in about 10)
  • Big BOSS guitar effect unit (also given to me)

In exchange for a $400 pair of studio monitor speakers.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #2093 on: February 07, 2019, 11:19:34 PM »
This week I tossed all undergarments that were past their prime. 

At work, they announced the intention to relocate our department to a different building, so I was enthusiastic about clearing out my file cabinets.  Alas, some files do not belong to me and the owner has so far outwitted all my attempts to offload them back on to him.  Other files are permanent.  However, I was able today to move a particular set of files to long term storage and I'm not involved in that process anymore, so they will not come back!  Also was able to shred several reams worth of outdated files.  What is left takes up less than a full drawer!

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2094 on: February 08, 2019, 06:03:44 AM »
I packed up a couple of boxes of kitchen stuff to be donated.  And got it into the car without DH going through it.  Still have one more box to go through.  I figure that it's all been sitting in my living room since we moved back home in September not being used so it's probably okay.  I have to admit that some of the stuff made me sad to get rid of.  Kiddie plates of my son's that he doesn't use now that he's a "big boy."  And Tupperware of my grandmother's that I have fond memories of from childhood, but have never actually used myself (a bit of background here, I moved into my grandparents' fully furnished house so I've been slowly divesting myself of all the superfluous stuff....it took me a while to actually be able to throw anything out). 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2095 on: February 08, 2019, 08:11:22 AM »
I've been trying to be ruthless about worn out clothing lately. I have a very bad habit of being like, "well maybe just one more wear...". So instead, any time I'm wearing socks and notice they stretch out too fast or sit weird? Straight to the trash. Same with underwear. I'm unsure if I'll need to buy some more? But I figure it's better to clear out the crap and see what I'm left with, than be on a walk with a sock that keeps slipping down and cursing my cheap-ass-nature.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2096 on: February 08, 2019, 08:22:02 AM »
I've been trying to be ruthless about worn out clothing lately. I have a very bad habit of being like, "well maybe just one more wear...". So instead, any time I'm wearing socks and notice they stretch out too fast or sit weird? Straight to the trash. Same with underwear. I'm unsure if I'll need to buy some more? But I figure it's better to clear out the crap and see what I'm left with, than be on a walk with a sock that keeps slipping down and cursing my cheap-ass-nature.

I need to be better about this myself.  I will patch holes in clothes until it's more patch than cloth.  Like the jeans I'm wearing now are being held together by a thread and a wish.  I even got a gift card to Old Navy to go get a new pair, but I just hate going to the mall with the fire of 10000 suns. 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2097 on: February 08, 2019, 08:28:23 AM »

I need to be better about this myself.  I will patch holes in clothes until it's more patch than cloth.  Like the jeans I'm wearing now are being held together by a thread and a wish.  I even got a gift card to Old Navy to go get a new pair, but I just hate going to the mall with the fire of 10000 suns.

Life decided to solve that for me on other clothing =\ I've had some intense weight fluctuations the past year because of repeat IVF cycles/failures, so currently I'm rocking a predominantly new wardrobe. Luckily, underwear and socks tend to be more forgiving. Otherwise, yes, I had to do a huge purge a couple years ago (thank you husband for forcing the issue!), because I still had tons of clothes from high school that were in just... awful shape.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2098 on: February 08, 2019, 09:09:00 AM »

Life decided to solve that for me on other clothing =\ I've had some intense weight fluctuations the past year because of repeat IVF cycles/failures, so currently I'm rocking a predominantly new wardrobe. Luckily, underwear and socks tend to be more forgiving. Otherwise, yes, I had to do a huge purge a couple years ago (thank you husband for forcing the issue!), because I still had tons of clothes from high school that were in just... awful shape.

I understand.  We had to pack up our entire wardrobe and move it into storage last spring.  I purged some stuff then.  It's still packed in boxes at my parents' house.  I have half a mind to just take the boxes to Goodwill and not even open them.  I haven't needed them in a year, why not?

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2099 on: February 08, 2019, 10:55:38 AM »
I hear rumours that "Consumed" is now available on Canadian Netflix for those interested.  Can't confirm as I don't subscribe myself.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!