Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1249165 times)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #4100 on: September 25, 2020, 08:43:38 AM »
Back story: divorce, house is sold, we are moving to separate places. He is not a hoarder, but a "let's not throw away/donate anything because we might need it some day". I understand that this is a new situation, and that we will both need to individually add some practical items to our separate households but I am also an aspiring minimalist, and I want to try to get rid of a lot of "Just in cases".

Question to this thread: can  I count every thing I say to him "you take it, I don't want it" to my general karma in this Gettting rid of stuff in the move?
I do need some good karma as he is moving out in 7 days, and at least in my opinion, is very late/behind with packing for his move. I am stressed by this.

I will move in 3.5 weeks, and I feel further along, this is also bc I have less stuff to move, but I am also aware that I have a finite amount of time to pack...

Sure. And what's the plan for when he moves out and doesn't take all the stuff?

Front yard with a sign that says "free"

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #4101 on: September 25, 2020, 09:15:28 AM »

Sure. And what's the plan for when he moves out and doesn't take all the stuff?

Tbh, not really sure. I see a few possible scenarios:
1) he will work hard this weekend and get a lot done. I actually assume he will take what is clearly his, it is the "shared, need to be split/assigned" that worries me, but that part is also my responsibility so I will make an effort with this also. This is the best outcome.
2) He will procrastrinate and have a lot still to pack Thursday evening. Not my problem really but I will probably help out a lot, just to get it done. I think this is the most likely outcome. I will be annoyed but it will pass.
3) As in no 2, but I will not help him, I am tired of taking care of his problems. He will not have all packed when movers show up Friday morning. This will work as I will stay in the house for a couple of weeks more, as long as he gets them to take all the furniture. Then he will pick up stuff over these weeks, until I move, then house needs to be empty for cleaning and handing over the keys to the buyers. Possible since we are both moving about five minute drive in separate directions, but not good as he needs to borrow my car and I will go crazy if he needs to do that several times (he can borrow the car, but annoying he needs to show up here, I just want peace and quiet to pack my stuff).

Front yard with a sign that says "free"

Hehe :-D

In addition to above, I believe that when he has moved out, when I continue and intensify my packing, I will find several items I will not bring.
These can be either his, ours jointly but I don't want them and he forgot/missed to take them, or stuff none of us want but we should dispose of jointly but I will have to do it. Here the "free" sign will absolutely come in handy, combined w a very active local Facebook group 'buy and sell and give away'. 

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4102 on: September 25, 2020, 10:16:00 AM »
After we unpacked our kitchen, I've continued to go through our stuff, and donate/sell what we don't need.

I'm now left with the "closet of doom". It's where we keep all of the random stuff that doesn't have a natural home. So far, I've:
-Found a more logical home for all of our jars/lids
-Rehomed my son's cooking supplies. He likes his own stuff (recipe books, apron, measuring cups, timer, etc). Found a drawer that would work well to hold everything.
-Determined a good location for coffee supplies we only use when my parents are here. We have an espresso machine, but they prefer brewed coffee. They visit 1x-2x/year, so it doesn't need to be accessible, but I want it all in one place. Done. Tucked away, but all grouped for easy use & pull out when they arrive.

All that was left was the "junk drawer" items (copious number of pens, pencils, school supplies, and other miscellany). I seriously considered getting some sort of desk to hold all of this, and then was embarrassed by my giant overkill to a tiny problem. I'm instead doing the following:
-Adding necessary school supplies to the kids rooms, as they are now doing homework & online learning in their rooms
-Dumping/donating things we don't need. Pretty sure we don't need 100+ pencils
-Add a few items to our school supply area in a cupboard for things we might need in the future, but don't need right away.

It's my goal to finish the "junk drawer" items today.

shrimpwd

• Stubble
« Reply #4103 on: September 25, 2020, 12:22:49 PM »
I just added an amazing shelving unit to my living room. It's going to organize a large portion of the decorative items I've decided to keep.

Because of this, I'm giving a friend a bookshelf and I'm going through two full totes of random, maybe three. I'll be thrilled if I don't need to keep anything in the totes, but even if I get down to one, it'll be progress.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4104 on: September 26, 2020, 09:02:49 AM »
-Gave away five organizing units on "Buy Nothing" yesterday (3 came out of our "junk drawer" area, and we've rehomed a few necessary supplies & ditched the rest. 2 were silverware/kitchen tool organizers, and we now have built ins in our kitchen cabinets. The person I gave away to was able to swing by & grab them within an hour, and I left them on my porch. Done, and done.
-Sold another six items on eBay (books, mostly, plus my son's soccer shorts he outgrew before he could wear, thanks to COVID). Mailed & out of the house.

For today, have a roasting pan & oven element I will try to give away. Feel like those are the kinds of things that won't do well as a donation at my local place, but maybe I can match people up locally.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #4105 on: September 26, 2020, 09:24:27 AM »
The tack locker is a glorious thing, people.  Everyone else is stuck with trunks that are just bottomless pits of disorganization.

So I had to google photos of 'tack locker' and now I want one. I don't have a horse, nor do I have any saddles etc. It just looks so neat!
Thank you for letting me expand my vocabulary!
this made me chuckle...
one has to be careful on this page that the opposite of the intended purpose doesn't occur.

Oh, don't worry, I am not getting one :-), admiring the neatness in the photos is actually all I need.
However, it did make me start thinking a bit, I am moving and will have a walk in closet/small storage for me and my two kids, and I will aspire to have the same feeling of functional neatness in there. So in that way it is inspiring, but only to make the best of what I have and will have use and need for.

Haha, mine is not that fancy, it's actually a little outdoor mini-shed and isn't deep enough to fit my saddles.  https://www.homedepot.com/p/Outdoor-Living-Today-4-ft-x-2-ft-Cedar-Garden-Storage-Shed-GC42/100655535?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&mtc=Shopping-B-F_D28I-G-D28I-28_21_STORAGE_BUILDINGS-MULTI-NA-Feed-SMART-NA-NA-SMART_SHP&cm_mmc=Shopping-B-F_D28I-G-D28I-28_21_STORAGE_BUILDINGS-MULTI-NA-Feed-SMART-NA-NA-SMART_SHP-71700000071528812-58700006277461964-92700056727253507&gclid=Cj0KCQjwzbv7BRDIARIsAM-A6-3W4ATXFd4QaLj5we5JmQVGOg3ghiNbw1SMghxnvGrVoO2kB8ZgqOEaAv0aEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds  But after your post, I went looking at tack lockers on Pinterest, and now I'm inspired to take out the existing shelving in there and re-do the interior to make it even more space-efficient.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4106 on: September 27, 2020, 11:23:59 AM »
Getting our home ready to sell.  This means doing a few final touchups and getting trim completed, etc.

The nice part is that when the last bit of trim goes up, I can throw away all the remaining bits and boards each time.  Paint too, I touch up all the walls in colour X, and then I can get rid of those paint cans.  Feels good.

I also need to make space in my closets and pantry with the goal that everything remaining should have a bit of space around it.   Lots of donations are happening.   Sad that the big thrift store near me is closing and all the others only take a couple of bags at a time.

I went with DH to check out a storage locker.  It would end up being $95/mo for a 5ftx5ft locker.  We looked at each other and said "nope", and will find a corner of the house to densely pack things into instead.  This is great because storage out of the home tends to never go away, and we can again deal with the stuff when it is time to move and we know what furniture we want to take as we will know where we are going to.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4107 on: September 27, 2020, 08:23:26 PM »
Gave away a roasting pan/tray from our old oven, and copious amounts of mint & basil that we picked & shared with neighbors. Mailed a book that I sold.

Spent time breaking apart an old fence, so we could get rid of it. It was hot this weekend, and it was a really unfun project, but is done now. Woop!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #4108 on: September 27, 2020, 09:58:20 PM »
I replaced the roof on the greenhouse today.  Except instead of clear panels, I made put opaque panels on 3/4 of it, and will begin walling most of it in.  In the process, I pulled out a bunch of smaller plant pots and other things that will be going away.  I'm thinking I'll post them as free on my local FB gardening group.

Since the greenhouse will now be more of a shed, I have my totes of horse blankets and other equine paraphernalia moved out there.  If I can get my DH to get rid of the non-running riding mower, we'll have ample space in the shop.

OTOH, after finally getting a handle on the yard waste, he dropped a huge branch that was overhanging the shop, and now have a bunch more tree detritus to deal with.  Boo.

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #4109 on: September 28, 2020, 04:04:28 AM »
Back story: divorce, house is sold, we are moving to separate places. He is not a hoarder, but a "let's not throw away/donate anything because we might need it some day". I understand that this is a new situation, and that we will both need to individually add some practical items to our separate households but I am also an aspiring minimalist, and I want to try to get rid of a lot of "Just in cases".

Question to this thread: can  I count every thing I say to him "you take it, I don't want it" to my general karma in this Gettting rid of stuff in the move?
I do need some good karma as he is moving out in 7 days, and at least in my opinion, is very late/behind with packing for his move. I am stressed by this.

I will move in 3.5 weeks, and I feel further along, this is also bc I have less stuff to move, but I am also aware that I have a finite amount of time to pack...

Update on this, during the weekend ex finally realised he needs to get serious about packing. So we have been through a lot of shared items, and I would say I have taken about 25%, he 50% and 25% neds to be discarded in different ways. So many things I don't need. Feels great. I have to replace a few kitchen utensils, but really not a lot. For other types of items, I don't see much I have to add back.

One does not need an ice cream scoop when we eat that type of ice cream maybe twice a year, a regular spoon will do. One does not need many types of wine glasses when only two types are used (other ones are not heirlooms or valuable, just 'we don't get rid of things if we already have them'. One does not need things of which ex said "why have we kept this?" and my answer is "you are the one who wanted to keep it so you take it".

So I managed to keep most of what I felt I will need, but removed a lot of things from my life that will not be replaced by similar/same category at all. Feels amazing!

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4110 on: September 28, 2020, 06:56:31 AM »

Lots of donations are happening.   Sad that the big thrift store near me is closing and all the others only take a couple of bags at a time.

The one near me now has a sign in front of the driveway leading to the donation shed that says 'we are not accepting donations between the hours of 4 PM and 8 AM.' 

Makes me think they are having stuff stolen at night. I've seen some nice  electronics in there at times.   

At least they are still accepting stuff, lol. 

I was donating stuff, from decluttering, years ago, so I was donating and cluttering before it was 'cool'.         

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4111 on: September 28, 2020, 07:39:01 AM »

Update on this, during the weekend ex finally realised he needs to get serious about packing. So we have been through a lot of shared items, and I would say I have taken about 25%, he 50% and 25% neds to be discarded in different ways. So many things I don't need. Feels great. I have to replace a few kitchen utensils, but really not a lot. For other types of items, I don't see much I have to add back.

One does not need an ice cream scoop when we eat that type of ice cream maybe twice a year, a regular spoon will do. One does not need many types of wine glasses when only two types are used (other ones are not heirlooms or valuable, just 'we don't get rid of things if we already have them'. One does not need things of which ex said "why have we kept this?" and my answer is "you are the one who wanted to keep it so you take it".

So I managed to keep most of what I felt I will need, but removed a lot of things from my life that will not be replaced by similar/same category at all. Feels amazing!

That's wonderful, LinneaH, that you've been able to do this together.  It will be nice to have a few new items of your own but still keep only what you want and need in your own house.  Sounds like it's all going as smoothly as these things can.  Best wishes for you in your new space!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #4112 on: September 29, 2020, 12:50:36 AM »
Late reporting in, but I want "credit" dammit :)

Before leaving on a road trip, took the haz mat to the haz mat drop off station.  Did not bring home any clutter from the road trip, but I did find a nice sterling silver and amethyst ring to fit one of my fingers perfectly. Also bought some bike parts for repairs after my crash earlier this summer. Local shops are having a hard time keeping things in stock.  I vow to discard the old parts when they are replaced (the old parts are broken beyond repair).

AerynLee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4113 on: September 29, 2020, 08:05:48 AM »
We're moving next month and even though we're moving to a bigger house (950sqft to 1800sqft) we're being careful to make sure we're not moving stuff we don't actually want or need. We're fairly minimal, fitting into our small house just fine, but there's always things that can go. In the last couple of weeks we have:

Donated our dog kennel to the woman who runs the local lost/found pet page and works with rescues
Sold running shoes that never fit right, cleats worn once, and roller skates used twice to Play it Again Sports
Traded in 6 board games we have no interest in playing (most never played) for one game that we know we like and were planning on buying
Donated non-mason brand canning jars (that use different sized lids), throw pillows we don't use, and a couple other miscellanous tidbits to Goodwill
Donated leftover kitchen backsplash tiles to Habitat for Humanity Restore

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4114 on: September 29, 2020, 09:54:57 AM »
Thanks for the Habitat for Humanity Restore reminder, @AerynLee . We have some leftover construction tile I can donate.

I have sold & mailed an outgrown kids shirt & have someone coming from the local Buy Nothing group to do a porch pickup for an old suitcase. Progress!

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #4115 on: September 29, 2020, 10:22:11 AM »
DH is getting in on the action - he worked on the garage.  Empty bins are appearing!

It feels so very good.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4116 on: September 29, 2020, 01:01:12 PM »
I got rid of some stuff on Buy Nothing.  Decaf coffee ordered by mistake, two pairs of kids shoes, some Kenyan textiles that were a gift from my sister but I have no use for, some acrylic paint, several kids books, some outgrown toys, and some hanging pots I bought that didn't actually fit my railing.  The last one felt so good to let go - I'd been saying I'd return them but the store is 45 minutes away and it's just not worth it.

Listed some other stuff that I have not gotten replies for, that will either go to the thrift store or the trash.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #4117 on: September 29, 2020, 06:45:31 PM »
Reorganised the shed - again. Moved my son's home gym where there is more light and it looks heaps better. Moved the table tennis table into the centre so we have more room around it. Got rid of a box of glass jars I'd kept for 'just in case'. We already have 2 boxes of jars for the day next January when I hope to make my own tomato sauce for the year. If I don't do it, they will all be donated as well. Nothing like a deadline!

Broke down the huge cardboard box my son's rack was delivered in, and put it in the garden to suppress weeds. Bagged up all the bubble wrap, and depending on my laziness factor will either offer it on the Good Karma FB page, or take it to a Redcycle drop off bin.

I have been propagating quite a few indoor plants for a friend and they have been cluttering up the porch, but she will be picking them up today.

I still have several baskets of craft stuff, mainly material and wool to go through. I do intend to use most of it, but have realised baskets are just too much visual clutter for me and will look in the op shops for a streamlined little cabinet with doors to store it all in. I am not one for buying storage, as I'd rather get rid of things, but this Lockdown has showed me that I need to have all the tools and materials to make things so I don't panic-buy stuff!

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4118 on: September 30, 2020, 12:21:57 PM »
I did not put all the books back on the shelving in our bedroom.  We painted two weeks ago and I vowed that I would not just refill the shelves without consideration.  There is a entire bankers box of books that I know I will never ever pull off the shelf again.  Bye Bye.
A whack of old magazines are going out into the little library!

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4119 on: September 30, 2020, 03:34:58 PM »
I sold  about 15 small things at this latest weekend's flea market outing.

Most fun was 4 or 5 household chemical things, like a 16 ounce bottle of Mop N Glo (floor wax) for $1, half a bottle of turtle wax (automotive wax) for $1,  half a bottle of some automotive paint treatment for 50 cents, and a 2 liter spray bottle of Fabreeze (fabric deodorizer and freshener) for $2.

I have no desire for these products, which were cluttering up the place under the kitchen sink, and people who want them now have them. I didn't have to donate them, or take them to a hazardous waste recycling event and pay to have them recycled.

Win, win, win, ad infinitum, lol.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4120 on: September 30, 2020, 03:49:39 PM »
We don't have a local Buy Nothing group, and I don't have the desire to start one at this point, but I've decided to foster that attitude locally, on Facebook and specifically reaching out to close neighbors. To that end I recently traded some house plants with a stranger. We both left quite pleased! And I have another little collection of items waiting for a friend to pick up. I don't just want to foist junk off on people, but she gave an enthusiastic yes when I sent her a photo of the items. We also had a chat with new neighbors/friends who also recently bought a house listing out some of the tools and supplies we have that we'd be glad to share and vice versa.  No actual sharing yet, but I expect that will happen eventually. That feels good.

I also threw out some underwear!  That's a cause for celebration! 
Cut up a t-shirt for rags, mended a pair of pants, altered a shirt. Put away the big sewing machine and just kept the little one out.
Used double sided tap to stick down the corner of the carpet.
Two weeks ago I hung a big arrangement of art over the fireplace.  That was a huge project and has made such a difference.  Now I can actually think about other art and other projects.
Hung two baskets on the wall in the bathroom for more towel storage.

I'm writing this up to try to keep myself moving this evening to check a few more little things off the list!

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #4121 on: September 30, 2020, 09:10:02 PM »

Most fun was 4 or 5 household chemical things, like a 16 ounce bottle of Mop N Glo (floor wax) for $1, half a bottle of turtle wax (automotive wax) for $1,  half a bottle of some automotive paint treatment for 50 cents, and a 2 liter spray bottle of Fabreeze (fabric deodorizer and freshener) for $2.

I have no desire for these products, which were cluttering up the place under the kitchen sink, and people who want them now have them. I didn't have to donate them, or take them to a hazardous waste recycling event and pay to have them recycled.

Such a good idea! How did it work at your flea market? Did you have to reserve a spot?

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #4122 on: October 01, 2020, 02:24:15 AM »
I'm going to do the big decluttering challenge (1 item on day 1, 2 on day 2 etc). I've got a head start on 5 items (air fryer, old phone, 3 old cat toys). So I'm on 2 items for October 3rd as of now.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4123 on: October 01, 2020, 05:02:38 AM »

Such a good idea! How did it work at your flea market? Did you have to reserve a spot?

Thanks!  You don't have to reserve a spot. There are about 30  tables set up, and it's first come, first serve. The tables cost $5 each to rent for one day.  Fri, Sat, Sun.

Have to get there early, like 6 or 7 AM, to make sure you get a table.

I enjoy it. Social interaction, getting out of the house, and of course, decluttering.   

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4124 on: October 01, 2020, 12:03:31 PM »
5 used only once vases from here at the office were donated to a local flower shop yesterday.  :)

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4125 on: October 01, 2020, 10:06:04 PM »
Late reporting in, but I want "credit" dammit :)

Before leaving on a road trip, took the haz mat to the haz mat drop off station.  Did not bring home any clutter from the road trip, but I did find a nice sterling silver and amethyst ring to fit one of my fingers perfectly. Also bought some bike parts for repairs after my crash earlier this summer. Local shops are having a hard time keeping things in stock.  I vow to discard the old parts when they are replaced (the old parts are broken beyond repair).

Pedals replaced; old pedals trashed.  One half of handlebar tape removed and discarded; there is no way I'm keeping 1/2 used handlebar tape, so I'm calling this good!

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4126 on: October 02, 2020, 01:38:16 PM »
Sold two kids jackets.  Got rid of kids shoes, a puppy toy, a diaper pail, and a kids air mattress on Buy Nothing.

I have some cloth diapers to sell and I'm stressed out about it - they are in great condition but the site I usually sell on people are kind of crazy.  So glad the kids are finally out of diapers though.  I also am going to give away our remaining disposable diapers left over from daycare.

I pulled two work bags out of our front hall closet and going through them is my next project.  They have...stuff in them.  Like stuffed to the brim.  Deep breath, I can do this.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4127 on: October 04, 2020, 08:22:16 AM »
I have pretty much decided that when I retire in (hopefully) two years, I will move across the country to be closer to family. So, I have been going around the house with the thought of "Do I love this enough to move it?" I will probably be using a U Haul truck, and I know from experience that those fill up faster than you think they will. Plus, just the PIA factor of having to pack it all up.

Son and I did a big swoop through the basement and garage last month and put a bunch of stuff out on the lawn for free. This was a good way to get rid of small items without having to haul them to the thrift store.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4128 on: October 04, 2020, 01:14:44 PM »
Box of stuff out of the house and donated yesterday. Whoo!

Misc cat stuff donated to the animal shelter. I do not need 2 water fountains when the silly cats prefer the water bowl (or the puddles, toilets, and bathtub). Kept one, in storage. Just in case. Also gave them a litterbox, nearly new, which was just too small for my cats.

Need to  get the new desk and chair upstairs and assembled today. Not sure if I can get the top of the desk upstairs, so might need to get help from a neighbor. Wish me luck.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4129 on: October 04, 2020, 01:58:59 PM »
More books and a too small dress left the house.

Our basement is looking better and better.

kaposzta

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Years Until FIRE Calculator
« Reply #4130 on: October 05, 2020, 03:42:24 AM »
After months of procrastination, we decided to open the cupboards and collect all the clothes we don't need any more. We managed to fill a huge bag with them :) In addition, I checked my book shelves and I could find 5 books that I don't need anymore, I'll sell them or give them to my friends.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4131 on: October 05, 2020, 04:55:34 AM »
Today was swapping out winter clothes for the hot weather clothes, so I used this to weed out some of the summer tops I already know I won't wear and donated them. Also 3 more books to the street library.

shrimpwd

• Stubble
« Reply #4132 on: October 05, 2020, 07:14:06 AM »
One half-height bookshelf left the house yesterday, and another will be gone on Saturday.

Still working on the totes.

Gathered another small bag of books. Still need to find where my schedule meets the bookstore hours. Maybe I can find another few books before that.

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #4133 on: October 05, 2020, 07:32:46 AM »
I'm going to do the big decluttering challenge (1 item on day 1, 2 on day 2 etc). I've got a head start on 5 items (air fryer, old phone, 3 old cat toys). So I'm on 2 items for October 3rd as of now.

My 3rd item for October 3rd is a ratty old sheet, then 4 random bottles for October 4th. Several cards and an out of date supplement for October 5th. So far so good!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4134 on: October 05, 2020, 08:40:54 AM »
-I've been listing stuff on Buy Nothing. I've given away quite a bit. I have someone coming to pick up five towels this morning (already out on the porch, for a contactless pickup).
-Sold a toaster oven we bought to get through a kitchen remodel. It had been listed for awhile, so dropped the price & quickly got an offer. Out of the house & in the hands of someone who needs it.
-I had to empty our hall closet for my husband to install shelving. Double win, in that he will finally be using the shelving, vs having them strewn about the house. I also found a bunch of stuff to donate (7 towels, 2 blankets).

I need to organize our food pantry. We have two teen boys, and while I don't think we have a crazy amount of snacks, we do have a few. We don't have a ton of space, and the snacks are strewn about, among the green beans, pasta, canned tomatoes, etc. It's driving me a bit batty.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4135 on: October 05, 2020, 01:49:46 PM »
A productive weekend!

I put under my bathroom sink random items into a shower caddy I never use.  Was tired of polish remover, baby powder, etc. tipping over.  Out from under the laundry sink a few things were tossed, clothespins went into a clean, empty pickle jar and placed on the shelf where the w/d manual was (I've seen a similar cute idea on HGTV, not that I use clothespins, lol). The manual is now stashed under the sink.  Laundry product refills are now under there as well.  My old 80's Caboodle (yes, I know) was removed, emptied and contents dispersed to the garage, the not junk drawer, or garbage can.   It was given a bath and air dried, and will be used to house jewelry.  Again, no new organizers necessary.    I can now honestly say my house has been gone through down to the last screw and nail.  Oh, one of the items was my old, OLD flip phone which was successfully charged and confirmed there are photos on it that need to be transferred elsewhere.  Milestone birthday party pictures?  Yes, please!

I'm thinking about donating the iron and over-the-door ironing board as I do not iron and haven't in years.

After several months, I finally remembered to ask DH to use the air hose to blow out the dust from the air intake of my hair dryer.  Works much better.

About 7 items were tossed from my bathroom top drawer including a few expired unopened contacts and caps from electric toothbrush heads.

Winterized the lower deck:  Put away chair cushions and arranged the furniture into a pile so DH could place a tarp over everything.  A neighbor's cat left us a present on one of the cushions, so we (read:  DH) tossed that one.  Gross.  :S

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #4136 on: October 05, 2020, 03:12:31 PM »
It's exactly two weeks until I move to my new place. I still have lots of stuff to pack, but w/full time work, busy closing the september books and two sick kids, it's proven a bit difficult. However, day after tomorrow they leave to go to their dad, and work will slow down a bit, so I will have more time and energy.

I do feel I have a pretty good overview of what needs to happen, I have more boxes in the house than I need, + unlimited no of boxes to pick up easily pick up, should I need it. Also, a lot is packed already. And I have a full day w/o kids the day before the move.

I have continued to
a) sort out things that are trash (holey socks...) or give away (nothing to sell as I don't think I have time right now).
b) put all the stuff exH left behind in a pile for him to pick up. Adding to this all the time. He missed a lot when he packed.
c) finish food items in pantry or fridge (eat or toss). It is starting to empty out :-). It's lovely to not have anything on the top shelves. Not buying any food before the move unless something really needed for the kids, they will be here for a few days more.

I need to go through and empty the bigger freezer in the basement so I can defrost it as soon as possible. Plan to start on Wednesday, have to make sure exH takes "his" frozen food before that. Have already eaten a lot from the smaller freezer in the kitchen so there is room to put some things in there.

I also need to pack things I will bring from the garage (some pots etc for the balcony and some tools) and make sure we dispose of trash. We are leaving some items such as lawn mower and snow blower for the buyers, and also some spades etc, but I WILL NOT accept that we leave any trash for them.

And I need to make sure we divide kids clothing etc, but this should be pretty quick. They already have some at their dads place.

One worry I have though is that I need to dig out all my veggies (carrots, leek, parsnip, garlic) before the 15th, and I have to prepare this for the freezer as soon as possible so I can transfer it to my new place, but I won't really have time to cook. I think I will just parboil carrots and parsnip and freeze as is. The garlic I will let dry, the leek just cut up and freeze. Oh I think I have some beetroots as well. Should eat them before the move. Love beetroots and the ones I had this year were really good.

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #4137 on: October 05, 2020, 03:19:10 PM »
Oh, I forgot to say what I really wanted to say :-D :

I believe I will have a tough couple of weeks with emptying out the house, no doubt about that. BUT there is a difference from my/our previous moves - I have way less stuff. I have been decluttering for several years, and it really shows. Some areas are still "to be done" but some are really good.

I also see that my exH has so much more stuff than me. He had a hard time packing, and now he is complaining of how hard it is to unpack and how many boxes he has still to unpack. I couldn't keep quiet after he had complained a couple of times, I told him 'there are a lot of boxes because there is a lot of stuff'...

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4138 on: October 05, 2020, 04:04:43 PM »
That's exciting @LinneaH, finally almost there after all that work!

One suggestion about the carrots, etc - if you have room on your balcony, you could just dig them up without disturbing the dirt and put them in pots.  If there's not enough room for that, just leave them dirty and put them in the fridge or even on the balcony until you have time to deal with them.  Root veggies will stay a long time if they remain cold, although not at the peak of their nutrition, but no worse than what you buy in the store.

Happy moving!

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #4139 on: October 06, 2020, 02:45:24 AM »
That's exciting @LinneaH, finally almost there after all that work!

One suggestion about the carrots, etc - if you have room on your balcony, you could just dig them up without disturbing the dirt and put them in pots.  If there's not enough room for that, just leave them dirty and put them in the fridge or even on the balcony until you have time to deal with them.  Root veggies will stay a long time if they remain cold, although not at the peak of their nutrition, but no worse than what you buy in the store.

Happy moving!

Thanks @SunnyDays
I have absurd amounts of carrots this year, and I think many are too big now, so they will be compost, the rest it's a good idea to do as you suggest. Then I can deal w/them the first few days in the new apartment, some will be eaten raw, some will be added to freezer meal, and some will be parboiled for the freezer.

Kids are going to exH already tonight, so I will have to pack up some things for them. Will do during the day as I am working from home, all laundry is done, folded and put away so this will be quick.

I will also fill up a movers box with exH stuff so it can leave the house, and I will sort through freezer with a) keep/use up before move, b) ship to exH c) trash. Is it weird that I am really excited over this?! :-D

shrimpwd

• Stubble
« Reply #4140 on: October 06, 2020, 07:22:40 AM »
Surprisingly, a third bookcase left the house before the second one. Still expect the third to go this weekend.

Also managed to empty one of the totes. Only 6-8 more to go?

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4141 on: October 06, 2020, 12:21:07 PM »
I will also fill up a movers box with exH stuff so it can leave the house, and I will sort through freezer with a) keep/use up before move, b) ship to exH c) trash. Is it weird that I am really excited over this?! :-D

It's not weird to me!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4142 on: October 06, 2020, 04:15:49 PM »
I'm trying to ride the momentum of big council cleanup late July, and then the chemical cleanout in early August. After that a big pile of boxes/bags with items to donate quickly accumulated in the place reserved for such things. This is good, but I didn't get long to enjoy the clean space I'd created.  Instead of filling me with glee every time I looked at it, I just felt depressed at the thought of yet another ginormous load of stuff to remove. I sulked for a week or so, but now have pulled myself together. I have decided to declutter an hour a day, capped at 5 hours a week. Time spent removing the rubbish/decluttered items will be included: hopefully this will help as I often find actually getting stuff of the premises is what is slowing me down.  I'm gunning to go room by room, section by section if necessary and not stop until I've done a complete sweep of the house.

Just checking in to say I'm still at it. I haven't often managed 5 hours a week but I have made progress every week. So far I've decluttered our second living space which is more or less my study, all except my desk, which was done not so long ago. I will have another go at it later on, but wanted to get to worse areas first.  Also have done my bathroom, and my bedroom and made a start on my front hallway. Along the way I've found other items  that can be removed ...eg donated 2 more bags of clothes and started another.

Anyone know what to do with 2 dead old mobile phones? They weren't repairable and have personal stuff on them, but I can't start them up to delete it. Do I assume no-one else will be able to retrieve it either and send them to a phone recycling place, or, smash them with a hammer and put in trash?

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4143 on: October 07, 2020, 10:40:26 AM »
Updates of late:
-Organized our pantry. Tossed out a few very small amounts of open snacks that the kids tucked away & never finished.
-Gave away five bath towels through Buy Nothing
-Reached out to a neighbor who collects items for a shelter, & am hoping to drop off additional towels & blankets
-Continue to list items on eBay, daily

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #4144 on: October 07, 2020, 11:48:49 AM »
Oh, I forgot to say what I really wanted to say :-D :

I believe I will have a tough couple of weeks with emptying out the house, no doubt about that. BUT there is a difference from my/our previous moves - I have way less stuff. I have been decluttering for several years, and it really shows. Some areas are still "to be done" but some are really good.

I also see that my exH has so much more stuff than me. He had a hard time packing, and now he is complaining of how hard it is to unpack and how many boxes he has still to unpack. I couldn't keep quiet after he had complained a couple of times, I told him 'there are a lot of boxes because there is a lot of stuff'...

Sooo - I finally have time for myself and the packing, and then I get sick... horribly sore throat and some fever. Talk to a doctor through the app, and she prescriped some liquid to rinse mouth/throat to get rid of the pain. I  decided to take a really slow day, working from home, had a nap during lunch hour. Somewhat better tonight, but will go to bed soon to rest. Hope I feel even better tomorrow. I asked my boss if I could take Friday off to pack for the move as I am somewhat stressed from being ill, and she strongly encouraged this. She's the best.

So today no packing, no physical work, but I am creating a mind map for Friday, for prioritization. I hope I am better by then. And I am decluttering some things in the pantry and fridge, so at least mini-progress.

Yesterday I was in exH apartment for five minutes. I realise he is still unpacking + painting + working full time, but still... it does give me anxiety. However, it is absolutely ok for the kids to be there and that's all I should worry about. The rest is "Not my circus, not my monkeys".

I will now eat a popsicle, which is all decluttering I will do tonight :-D

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4145 on: October 07, 2020, 11:59:27 AM »
Hope you feel better, @LinneaH ! And agree with your perspective, you can't control how your (ex)husband is handling everything - that will be his own stress. Don't borrow from him. :-)

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4146 on: October 07, 2020, 04:37:00 PM »
Well done @LinneaH . That separation is hard but necessary.

Two skeins of yarn out of the house today! Tomorrow I shall mail off 2.5 more skeins. There are an additional 2 skeins listed for sale; hoping to have a buyer soon!

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4147 on: October 08, 2020, 04:29:43 PM »
I posted a few old cross-stitch magazines on Facebook Marketplace, and the 2 lots sold in a few days - who knew the demand would be that good?  I waited until I had stitched the single pattern I found in all the books that I actually wanted to make!  I know it's small, but feels good to have them out of the house and to some people who are happy for some new patterns to peruse.

Still have a number of items on FB and eBay that aren't getting any interest.  My plan is to keep them out there, just in case, and then I can donate as soon as I start the house-selling process (which will happen, I just don't know when).

I'm thinking about donating the iron and over-the-door ironing board as I do not iron and haven't in years.

Considered the same thing.  But I do use my iron for crafts once in a blue moon - so I decided to keep it for now.  I still have a full-size ironing board and a mini one - I can use the kitchen counter and a towel for a lot of my craft-ironing, but I'll probably keep the full-size board for now as well.  I think I'll make it a point to list the mini one soon and see if I can sell it.

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #4148 on: October 09, 2020, 03:31:31 AM »
Again a good week for small sales on Craigslist:
- Set of 5 children's books - sold and sent
- 2DVD set - sold, will be sent today
- 3 outgrown jumpers - sold and sent

Children are happy too, because every penny earned in these sales will go to our "travel" stash for our (hopefully, when the pandemic is over) trip to China! The children started the "travel" stash 2 years ago and they already managed to sell stuff (outgrown clothing, toys, books and home decoration) for over 2000 euro!

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4149 on: October 09, 2020, 09:25:50 PM »
Used up some toiletries that I didn't love but did the job. Now I know not to purchase those items again.

Put a few shirts in the donation bag, which is full again somehow. I'm packing up the summeriest clothes as fall is slowing arriving here. The items that didn't get worn this summer went into the donations.

Helped SO declutter a ton of stuff at his house. He's a keeper (not technically a hoarder) and finds it hard to part with things. It takes a ton of mental energy to make the decision to get rid of things, so I like to help. But it wears me out to go through every little thing when I would just steamroller through and trash/recycle 99%. :)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!