Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1249408 times)

mspym

• Walrus Stache
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #1400 on: October 18, 2018, 10:27:38 PM »
Oneday- it totally counts!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1401 on: October 18, 2018, 10:40:02 PM »
Today, we finally got rid of the two bags of stuff that have been gathering
-one of the bags was a recently acquired backpack that we filled with recently acquired books..all given to us, not bought

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #1402 on: October 19, 2018, 02:29:06 AM »

--threw out all expired allergy meds

It's best to take old meds to the pharmacy for proper disposal, otherwise it can leech into groundwater or end up in bodies of water.  Not good for people or animals.

Thanks, good to know @SunnyDays
 I've taken pain med's/opiates back to the pharmacy but never considered it with the over-the-counter anti-histamines. I'll look into it next time!

Omg who gives away opiates! :)

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1403 on: October 19, 2018, 03:58:59 AM »

It's best to take old meds to the pharmacy for proper disposal, otherwise it can leech into groundwater or end up in bodies of water.  Not good for people or animals.

I've taken pain med's/opiates back to the pharmacy but never considered it with the over-the-counter anti-histamines. I'll look into it next time!

Who would want those nasty things in the house if it's not absolutely necessary?

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1404 on: October 19, 2018, 08:14:21 AM »
Today, we finally got rid of the two bags of stuff that have been gathering
-one of the bags was a recently acquired backpack that we filled with recently acquired books..all given to us, not bought

I'm wondering if we have reached a turning point in society where giving gifts can be considered an act of hostility!  I was looking around our house and realizing how many of the tchotchkes were gifted to me, not bought.  I never wanted any of this stuff, though I love the people who gave them to me and treasure their intentions. And I am downright resenting visiting elderly relatives who fill my trunk with their junk.

Got rid of a quantity of baby stuff including the high chair! Hopefully there will be room enough in our garage and closets so we can do some serious organization, rather than cramming items into the closet and then closing the door quick before things fall out.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #1405 on: October 19, 2018, 08:23:42 AM »
I'm wondering if we have reached a turning point in society where giving gifts can be considered an act of hostility!

Good question... Unless specifically thought-out, it’s just people dumping their crap or emotions on victims, or being unwilling to level up their relating. Not actually a gift at all...

Lincolnshire Girl

• Stubble
« Reply #1406 on: October 19, 2018, 09:32:16 AM »
I'm wondering if we have reached a turning point in society where giving gifts can be considered an act of hostility!

Good question... Unless specifically thought-out, it’s just people dumping their crap or emotions on victims, or being unwilling to level up their relating. Not actually a gift at all...

I put it down to the hand-me-down/war era where the same probably happened to them. It was the thing to do.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1407 on: October 19, 2018, 09:47:15 AM »

Who would want those nasty things in the house if it's not absolutely necessary?

It took me 5 pharmacies to find one who would take them back.  Between my husband and I we had over 200 pills - dating as old as 8 years ago.
Apparently our doctors give out prescriptions like candy, and then we take 1 or 2.   hydrocodone, hydromorphone, codeine, I couldn't believe how much was in the medicine drawer.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1408 on: October 19, 2018, 09:59:09 AM »

It took me 5 pharmacies to find one who would take them back.  Between my husband and I we had over 200 pills - dating as old as 8 years ago.
Apparently our doctors give out prescriptions like candy, and then we take 1 or 2.   hydrocodone, hydromorphone, codeine, I couldn't believe how much was in the medicine drawer.

And that is part of why we have an epidemic of addiction and deaths. Consider telling your doctor(s) how much you just turned in.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1409 on: October 19, 2018, 10:06:00 AM »
In my town we used to have an annual drug disposal day. You would drive up with your drugs in bags and they would collect them. Now, if you want to dispose drugs you take them to the police station and I guess they have a container to dispose of them. Seems to me people would be more apt to go to a community event to dispose of drugs than to go to the police station.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1410 on: October 19, 2018, 10:11:55 AM »
Got rid of two skirts, one bra + two summer dresses that don't fit. We're going to Hawaii in a few weeks, and I figured now was the time to try on my beachy wear & get rid of anything that I wouldn't want to bring on a vacation. All in the donation pile. I think I'll peek into the kids rooms to see what mysteries await, and what's available for donation!

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1411 on: October 19, 2018, 01:51:19 PM »
So this week I got rid of three magazine storage boxes and a pile of magazines. They were very bulky and I had no shelf space for them anymore so it feels good.

About the tablets & prescriptions. I just don't fill out new prescriptions if I've still got old ones. I guess I'd have packets  and packets of codeine if I filled them all every time I needed four tablets after an op or what have you. Noone's ever prescribed me the really really strong -odone stuff but I was a bit astonished when I got prescribed the strongest prescription only codeine for a persistent cough - I just asked for the lower strength one at the pharmacy as that's what I have for migraines so I get to use up the packet.

What I have got is hundreds of unused needles from doing IVF - I don't expect anyone would accept them and needle disposal is quite hard - my local pharmacy won't take them so I might have to go to a hospital.

For some reason we also have loads of bandages - good for a Halloween mummy costume??

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1412 on: October 19, 2018, 03:08:21 PM »
@Fresh Bread --a mummy costume is a great idea :)

Dealing with
-old seeds into the compost
-getting rid of a planter that lost one small leg, still use-able but can go to the free-store
-some electronics that my SO has been holding onto
-brand new runners that he was given for some reason..doesn't need or want

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1413 on: October 19, 2018, 03:13:46 PM »

And donating them now so someone else can make one is perfect!

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1414 on: October 19, 2018, 03:22:07 PM »

And donating them now so someone else can make one is perfect!

Yeah, I'll get them out there! Today however I must declutter the weeds as there is a break in weeks of rain.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1415 on: October 19, 2018, 04:40:12 PM »
Can I just say that getting up and walking into my much more minimalist lounge this morning was quite fabulous. We just got plantation shutters and I really love having no curtains. Was going to put them back up but I love it so much without. How funny.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1416 on: October 19, 2018, 04:58:20 PM »
Ugh.  I got home this afternoon and went to take a picture of the high chair to put on FB and found that DH has moved it into storage.  And he's covered the desk I wanted to try to sell in stuff from his office.  This is NOT the direction this is supposed to be going.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1417 on: October 19, 2018, 05:08:32 PM »
...I really love having no curtains. Was going to put them back up but I love it so much without. How funny.

I'm required to have logistically difficult blinds, but I was able to easily remove the overhang and change other secondary aspects -so much better!!

CrustyBadger

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1418 on: October 19, 2018, 05:17:26 PM »
A few months ago I drastically decluttered all the camping cookware I had gathered in the basement.  Of course today my son asked for a lot of it as he was going camping and needed the pots and pans and mess kits I had donated!

Oh well, I told him they were gone and ... he dealt with it!   He figured something out.  I hang on to things because I think "they might come in handy some day" and I'm afraid to throw stuff out because "someone might need it".  But if he had given me even a few days' notice we could have borrowed some things. And as it turned out, he managed to make do.

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #1419 on: October 19, 2018, 10:48:28 PM »
Small wins this week - I read "Decluttering at the Speed of Life" and liked the anti-konmari approach of keeping things contained as you go, so that if you are interrupted (or sick, or tired) you are not left with a larger interim mess.  I really like KonMari - especially for the folding advice - but this was more practical for me at the moment so I can keep some progress going without commiting my full office or home to overhaul. It is just not the time for that now.

With that in mind, I got rid of about 4 inches of paper clutter at work, and a full box of stuff at home. I also needed to read her take on kitchen pantry clutter - which I fight against (frequent lurker on the 'https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/eat-all-the-food-in-your-house-take-2/?topicseen topic, and I hate the thought of food waste).  She asked - is the food already wasted? As in, you might be ok eating slightly expired food, and using up non-favorites, but how many times have you opted for something else when it should have been an option. Also addressed the 'i don't want the chance of being sick today', with - when is a good time to feel sick?

So, a super old bag of broken/mixed/yucky cereal and similarly broken/mixed/yucky biscuits plus the last few tablespoons of lemon curd finally hit the bin. I'm very relieved. I tried a few pudding and other recipes with those items and they were never good. It was wasted food a long long time ago. Now I can focus on the next mystery ingredients in my cupboard, and the next likely stack of shreddable papers.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1420 on: October 19, 2018, 11:55:15 PM »
Those new angles sound fresh and awesome, halftimer :)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1421 on: October 20, 2018, 05:38:17 AM »
Small wins this week - I read "Decluttering at the Speed of Life" and liked the anti-konmari approach of keeping things contained as you go, so that if you are interrupted (or sick, or tired) you are not left with a larger interim mess. 

Thanks for the recommendation.  It is popular, I am now #78 in line for it at my library.

I liked The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning, very low key, funny, and realistic.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1422 on: October 20, 2018, 07:49:43 AM »
Entire truck bed full went to goodwill! I didn't even realize we had acquired so much. Some was small old ikea type pieces that we used in the garage- like an old lack coffee table we used as an easy to move table to do wood working projects in the garage- stuff like that can go now in advance of listing the house. Other stuff was things we've been adding to the goodwill pile the last few weeks, then an old synthetic comforter and fuzzy blanket that sheds.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #1423 on: October 20, 2018, 12:47:35 PM »
@MaybeBabyMustache I appreciate you posting so steadily.  That goes for everyone.  I just *love* coming back here periodically to find how much others are "in it with me". 

Yesterday got 4 small boxes of CDs back to Mr. X.  Actually, 3 boxes of CDs and one box of empty CD cases.  Nice to get that particular box out of the house with only minimal effort on my part!

5 down, 4 to go.  Those were the smallest 5, so the last 4 will likely take more effort.  Maybe a box a week rather than 3?  Putting the end date for this project at Nov 18.  Yes, that is what I'll shoot for.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1424 on: October 20, 2018, 03:00:56 PM »
Awesome job, everyone! Shout out to @Bracken_Joy for the entire truck bed of donations!

@oneday - so happy it's useful. I find it personally motivating as well. I also went through my fridge/freezer today, tossing things that weren't going to ever be eaten. Sad for food waste, but yay for having only things we will eat. I also have 5-6 things of the kids that I pulled out of their closets and will either sell or donate to our local kids swap.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1425 on: October 20, 2018, 06:12:07 PM »
*Shipped kid's course work off to teacher
*Returned comfort item ($) I will no longer need for coping with exams
*Returned library book of kid's that was a touch overdue and that he found when doing thorough weekly tidy of his room
*Dropped off latest pile of recycling
*Threw out cuticle cream I somehow lost the cap for

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1426 on: October 20, 2018, 06:12:54 PM »
I managed to get the high chair listed on FB for sale.  Also got a few of the nicer cloth diapers listed on a specialty page for sale.  Threw out a box full of training manuals for a class I took nearly two years ago and haven't used since.  Now to get the rest of his outgrown clothes ready for the next round of consignment sales. 

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #1427 on: October 21, 2018, 11:52:42 AM »
@Bracken_Joy

Yes, that's a tough one for my sentimental heart! Can you roll up the poster or take a picture of it and store on your computer?

I would have a hard time getting rid of the violin too... that's why I follow this thread.

Okay, so my question is how did you declutter your jewellery box? I have lots of jewellery that was given to me over the years that's just not my style. A lot of it is silver and semi-precious stones so I wouldn't want to give it away...

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1428 on: October 21, 2018, 12:16:34 PM »
Went through the kids closets. Got rid of at least 35 items, for the donation pile. We don't buy that much, but get hand me downs from my nephews, and sizes/seasons/preferences don't always totally align.

I also put aside a shirt that's from my friend's child's favorite sports team. He's a size smaller than my kids, and this is in great condition.

I also found a pair of pants with the tags still on that I'll attempt to sell.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1429 on: October 21, 2018, 12:18:34 PM »
Was going through some stuff in the attic and came across an old model car. eBay search shows it’s worth about $200!  Score!  Best part is it holds zero sentimental value so no consideration given to keeping it.  Not even sure where it came from.  The weirdest part is that I thought I was free of items like this but I occasionally I find something new.  Imagine how much stuff a non-declutterer has in their house!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 06:41:48 PM by Debts_of_Despair »

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1430 on: October 21, 2018, 02:00:34 PM »
@Debts_of_Despair - nice! What a great find!

I also went through & listed four things on a Facebook swap + one bundle on eBay. I already have one taker for a Facebook swap item. Yay!

I ended an eBay listing that was not paying off (had been posted 3 times), so added that + a tshirt to the donation pile. I'm feeling so good with the progress this weekend! If only every weekend was like this. Once I get on a roll, I try to take advantage of my motivation while it's hot. ;-)

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1431 on: October 21, 2018, 02:11:22 PM »
Got a couple of boxes of kids clothes ready for consignment sale.  Added bonus that it cleared a whole bunch of clothes hangers out of my closet.  Figured out that I'm going to have way more than the item limit for the spring sale. 

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1432 on: October 21, 2018, 04:18:28 PM »
@MrsTuxedocat I went through my jewelry today, and I made four separate piles.  1. Keep; 2. Pawn Shop (gold/silver or gemstone jewelry that I never wear); 3. Donate (good looking costume jewelry, silver-plated, etc); and 4. Trash (really ugly or tarnished costume jewelry).  My DH is due to make a trip to a pawn shop or Jewelry/Coin type place soon to sell some of his coin collection, so I'm going to have him take the Pawn pile along to sell and hopefully get a bit back for it.  If the pawn shop doesn't want it, I'll decide if anyone I know might like it as a gift, otherwise donate it.

I also went through a small under-bed bin, a small bin from my closet, my bag of hair clips/barrettes, and a small bowl that sits in my living room and tends to collect bits and bobs.  Tossed a few things, and put a bunch more in the donate box.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1433 on: October 21, 2018, 06:37:59 PM »
R, I decluttered my jewelry in a similar way except that jewelry stores buy gold and silver to melt down and pay more than pawn shops. I have also put nice rings on consignment at upscale shops that sell used designer clothes.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1434 on: October 21, 2018, 07:00:09 PM »
Don't you just love it when you do your to-do list out of order?
Dropped off 4 bags of stuff to Goodwill.
Then pulled winter clothes out and put summer clothes away. Several items added to the box.

I've decided I'm going to get rid of a bike (leg powered) and an insert for a sliding door with a cat door in it. Now just to actually do it.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1435 on: October 21, 2018, 07:09:55 PM »
Everyone is crushing it! Must be the day/weekend for decluttering

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #1436 on: October 21, 2018, 09:33:00 PM »
My step-mother tried to hand on a small "occasional table" to us this weekend.  We have "so little furniture" and she saw it by the side of the road and thought it might be of use to us.

Sorry, but no.  And it had to be firmly put in the end.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1437 on: October 22, 2018, 02:32:11 AM »
Tomorrow I will borrow the hanger at work at get rid of the big garbage around our house.

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #1438 on: October 22, 2018, 06:52:04 AM »
My step-mother tried to hand on a small "occasional table" to us this weekend.  We have "so little furniture" and she saw it by the side of the road and thought it might be of use to us.

Sorry, but no.  And it had to be firmly put in the end.

Oh no, I hate that.
It's generally well meaning people, but it's people who just don't get it.

I can't tell you the number of people who have tried to give me their TVs over the years.  I've never owned a TV and I never want one. 
People have a VERY hard time with this. 

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1439 on: October 22, 2018, 10:07:05 AM »

What I have got is hundreds of unused needles from doing IVF - I don't expect anyone would accept them and needle disposal is quite hard - my local pharmacy won't take them so I might have to go to a hospital.

Are there any animal rescues that sponsor free/low cost clinics for pets in your area?  They may be able to take needles, depending on the gauge, for shots and surgeries.

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #1440 on: October 22, 2018, 02:18:56 PM »
Thank you for the suggestions and now off to declutter :)

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1441 on: October 22, 2018, 02:27:14 PM »
Tomorrow I will borrow the hanger at work at get rid of the big garbage around our house.

What is the hanger at work?

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1442 on: October 22, 2018, 02:28:56 PM »

Are there any animal rescues that sponsor free/low cost clinics for pets in your area?  They may be able to take needles, depending on the gauge, for shots and surgeries.

A shelter that I used to volunteer at did accept such things.

Alternatively, my hazardous waste drop off day advertised they'd take sharps, used or not.

krmit

• Stubble
« Reply #1443 on: October 22, 2018, 02:54:51 PM »
Moved this weekend from a 750 sq. foot apartment into a positively palatial 1194 sq. foot house! We decided to do our decluttering as we unpack, as we weren't sure which random crappy shelf units will be useful and which will not. We've also inherited a fair amount of shelving, cleaning products, etc in the new garage.

We've already been barraged with offers of furniture from both sets of downsizing parents. We're going to be very thoughtful about what we accept and what we don't (and fortunately our parents won't take no as an insult).

Goals: unpack at a steady rate, get a Goodwill box going. Declutter as we go. Get the right new furniture, not the first ones we're offered.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1444 on: October 22, 2018, 03:00:48 PM »
Most of our grocery stores have sharps disposals in the bathrooms...  I mean, it would take awhile to get rid of them all...but it's an option.

Or could you put them all, well wrapped in a plastic container and just put them in the trash?

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1445 on: October 22, 2018, 03:18:16 PM »
Most of our grocery stores have sharps disposals in the bathrooms...  I mean, it would take awhile to get rid of them all...but it's an option.

Or could you put them all, well wrapped in a plastic container and just put them in the trash?

I'm going to ask at the vets what type of needles they use. From memory they are quite different but I can ask. I have the insulin type (which they might use) but also ones that are just a needle tip that screws on a pen dispenser. I have hundreds of those because they give you about 9 with each vial but I only ever used three as I was doing a massive dose!
The answer for those is probably the bin, safely enclosed in a box. No-one actually handles the garbage anyway, it's all automated.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1446 on: October 22, 2018, 03:35:27 PM »
So I got rid of all those bandages to someone :) With those out and the sharps in a bag waiting to be dealt with I can reorganise the meds drawer so that everything is easily located. I have other more urgent things to do (put the pictures up that are covering the dining table) but maybe this will start the snowball??

Hubby has got rid of two books, that's quite a major achievement. He goes away on Friday and a few little things are going to go missing during that time including expired vitamins and a couple more home mags.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1447 on: October 22, 2018, 03:39:58 PM »
I'm still feeling like I've too much stuff. Since I moved a year ago I've continued to try to get rid of stuff. We have been doing a whole house reno whilst living in it, so we have been shifting piles of belonging from one place to another. Often working to a deadline we have simply gathered stuff up and shoved it in the next location.

Some of the permanent cupboards/drawers are now installed in the laundry, kitchen and master bedroom, so I've been thoughtfully trying to move stuff into the appropriate places. A lot of items need dusting/cleaning, so its a slow process.

Compared to my early decluttering attempts, not so much is being culled now. Rubbish and broken items are going into a big skip bin. A few more loads of miscellany have gone to the family store and clothing is steadily being donated.

I feel like I need some sort of shock tactic to move me onto the next level so to speak. In reality I think I will  just keep going as I am, and see how full/empty the house feels once it is all finished.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1448 on: October 23, 2018, 07:58:27 AM »
Another big box left. I realized I had an interesting mental bias at play- which was, we only got too much stuff when we moved here, so I should only *get rid of* things I got since we moved! The problem with that, though, is of course I really like some of the stuff I've gotten in the last couple years! So the obvious solution is I need to get rid of older stuff to make room for that newer stuff.

In that vein, I got rid of a couple sentimental but odd items- an old comforter and pillow that my old dog used as beds, a large hamper I've had since I was young (13 or 14? but I much prefer our new hamper). I think there were a few other items in there, but honestly I'm not even keeping track now. House photos were yesterday, so it's been an utter flurry of activity.

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #1449 on: October 23, 2018, 08:55:35 AM »
One success for me: I gave a big box of soap-making supplies to my neighbor who is on maternity leave until February.  She's just getting into soap-making, thrift stores won't take the supplies, and I haven't made soap in a year and didn't apply to sell at any farmers markets this summer AND my Etsy shop has been in 'Vacation Mode' for 16 months... it's time to let it go, for now.
 I can always jump back into it, and it's both a good space saver for me and something she really wants to do while she's on leave.  WIN WIN.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!