Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1249354 times)

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #1800 on: December 09, 2018, 07:27:57 PM »
You have reminded me... A friend handmade us a quilt. An unbelievable amount of thought and hours went into it (like a 6 month project) but it's too hot for hubby to sleep under even in winter. At the moment it lives on the spare bed but our next place will have a sofa bed only... I seriously don't know what to do with this quilt. I'm thinking that we store it in a space bag and then summon the courage to ask her if she wants to regift to someone else?

That's tough. :(

I would really struggle getting rid of something handmade like that.

As someone whose made handmade quilts (as gifts only with the advance a-ok of the recipients though)...did you consider making it into a wallhanging? 

A bunch of old Martha Stewart magazines read and listed on a local freebie website.  If no nibbles, they'll go out in recycling, along with the giant bag of Tupperware I cleared out last weekend.  Offered a Christmas wreath to my mom (will pass it off next weekend) which I bought for $12.50 on after Christmas sale a few years ago, but didn't realize it wouldn't fit on any of our doors.  Next up: need to take photos of the ~9 handmade scarves that I meant to make into an afghan years ago, to see if anyone on the local group wants it.

I lost two expensive items recently around our house, so I'm determinedly back in this group to purge out the unnecessary.  At least if I lose things after purging it'll be less to hunt through!

I wish she'd asked us before making... It was a wedding present. I feel like if we had had kids then we could cut into baby quilts or something. Unfortunately it's not really our style or colours (city minimalism) so it's not going on the wall either. I like it for what it is and if we lived in a cottage in the country it would be perfect. I think I'm going to just store it for now, in case it becomes appropriate in the future. I don't actually have many things of that nature so it's not the end of the world.

Xmas decorations - yes I must try to get rid of some bits in the next couple of days, good reminder! I know that somewhere under the house there is a Xmas tree stand. And I have a wrong sized wreath to go like you. Plus ugly baubles I got for free, I don't know what I was thinking, we don't have a tree.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1801 on: December 09, 2018, 08:21:07 PM »
While looking for something in the garage, I noticed we had a few extra shoes the kids have outgrown. Two pair were in really great condition, so put in the donation bin. In puzzling news, we only have one shoe of a set. . . what happened to the other shoe???

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1802 on: December 10, 2018, 12:25:38 AM »
You have reminded me... A friend handmade us a quilt. An unbelievable amount of thought and hours went into it (like a 6 month project) but it's too hot for hubby to sleep under even in winter. At the moment it lives on the spare bed but our next place will have a sofa bed only... I seriously don't know what to do with this quilt. I'm thinking that we store it in a space bag and then summon the courage to ask her if she wants to regift to someone else?

I think you could give it away later, but you should perhaps look for a good recipient. Don't just add it to the donation box, but give it to someone who really appreciates it. Then you can tell your friend it has gotten a good home.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #1803 on: December 10, 2018, 12:32:33 AM »
If not to a thrift, where someone can self-select to be the happy recipient because it fits their need and home perfectly, I would encourage you to give the quilt to a shelter or second-stage housing. When I stayed in those, handmade quilts helped me so much, to feel safe, loved, cared about, even though I never knew who had carefully stitched them.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1804 on: December 10, 2018, 01:51:58 AM »

Speaking as someone who knows a number of quilters (and is even half-heartedly working on a quilt too, for herself) quilters make quilts mainly for themselves, and then find recipients to give them to - or find the recipient first as an excuse.

If you would rather get rid of the quilt than keep it, I would find a charity auction or raffle in which it could be the grand prize.  I would then write to the friend saying "although we love the quilt it doesn't fit into our new living arrangements, we support this wonderful charity who would love to make the quilt the centrepiece of their next auction, would that be alright with you?"

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1805 on: December 10, 2018, 03:07:59 AM »
Caught up with family over the weekend and gave them their Christmas presents. Not strictly decluttering, but I'm thrilled to have them out of my house.

Added another book to the Vinnies bag.

And put a wobbly outdoor candelabra out for council clean-up.

Lately I'm finding it easier to get rid of things that I'd previously held on to just in case.

A relative (who lives more than 200km away and isn't popping in for a visit) gave me a queen-size turquoise fleece blanket about two years ago.

I just don't need it, but I've felt guilty for parting with it.

I finally went back to the $20 rule - could I replace this for less than $20 if I had to? Yep.

It can go to Vinnies.

These gifts are always useful for wrapping oneself up on the couch on a cold winter night. Even if it is only once a year.

I have a couple of blankets specially for that purpose :)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1806 on: December 10, 2018, 03:09:40 AM »
Caught up with family over the weekend and gave them their Christmas presents. Not strictly decluttering, but I'm thrilled to have them out of my house.

Lately I'm finding it easier to get rid of things that I'd previously held on to just in case.

A relative (who lives more than 200km away and isn't popping in for a visit) gave me a queen-size turquoise fleece blanket about two years ago.

I finally went back to the $20 rule - could I replace this for less than $20 if I had to? Yep.

It can go to Vinnies.

These gifts are always useful for wrapping oneself up on the couch on a cold winter night. Even if it is only once a year.

I have a couple of blankets specially for that purpose :)

I already tried to offload this one on you! :D

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #1807 on: December 10, 2018, 03:12:24 AM »
I already have two lovely blankets for that purpose! Also wedding gifts, from a wedding list.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, very handy. I will try to spot a good opportunity. In the meantime I will clean and store it.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #1808 on: December 10, 2018, 08:29:18 AM »
Haven't had a lot of time to focus on decluttering recently, but as I was unloading the dishwasher, there wasn't enough room in the cupboard and I'm always moving things to get newly clean things to fit.  So found one water bottle to move to the lower cupboard with the lemonade pitcher, and another to the charity box.  Mini-decluttering win!

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #1809 on: December 10, 2018, 08:33:08 AM »
Kids high school is doing a big holiday fundraiser and they are collecting winter clothing so off went a whole bunch of stuff - including a brand new MEC coat and nearly new down jacket and vest. 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1810 on: December 10, 2018, 08:44:17 AM »
Our Habitat for Humanity is often looking for great condition quilts.  They are always welcomed by people receiving a new home.

I quilt, and I make sure people know my quilts to them are not obligations. They can get rid of them same as they would a cheap fleece blanket...  even though they cost hundreds of dollars and take months to make :)   If there is a condition on the quilt, I let them know. (I made gorgeous quilts for my Mom's guest rooms and told her I want them all back when she no longer wants them or dies.)

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1811 on: December 10, 2018, 11:12:36 AM »

It can go to Vinnies.

Could you mount it on a wall as art?

Edit: I see I'm too late on that suggestion :)

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1812 on: December 10, 2018, 11:41:16 AM »
@Fresh Bread do you have a friend with a country cabin that would be suitable for this quilt?  Something to add to your list of giving opportunities if nothing else. 

I also have to second jooni's suggestion.

Today finally decided to give away a second hand medical device that was gifted to me to help with a minor medical issue.  It was grossly covered in long white cat hairs, which I removed, but now I'm so revolted by looking at it and remembering those hairs, I can't use it.  Will pass it on, now that it's cleaned, to someone who doesn't get those gross feelings.  I can afford to buy one after all.  I wish it hadn't taken me over a month to honor those grossed out feelings.  I could have bought a new one sooner & started using it sooner.  Oh, well.  Moving on...

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1813 on: December 11, 2018, 05:39:28 AM »
I have several nice afghans my mother in law gifted me years ago with. I am half way thinking of dry cleaning them and handing them down to two of her grandchildren. I am kind of tired of them and it would be something nice to give to another relative who might like something from grandma.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1814 on: December 11, 2018, 06:51:50 AM »
Got rid of a box of pregnancy/ovulation tests.  Took up a huge amount of room in my bathroom drawer, and I'd never need them again.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1815 on: December 11, 2018, 12:23:43 PM »
Sold another item on eBay, will post today.

Only two things left for sale now, but I’ve made enough money to motivate me to find more to sell.

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #1816 on: December 11, 2018, 07:25:55 PM »
It was a good day for decluttering:

- gave away maternity support band
- gave away pampers size 1 diapers
- gave away two swaddle mes

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #1817 on: December 11, 2018, 08:56:49 PM »
We just booked a carpet cleaner to come in 3 days, so I'm feeling very motivated to simplify the storage and furniture situation here right away.  At least we have room in our kitchen for all the displaced living room and bedroom items, but there are definitely some items on shelves and on open display that will be moved for the cleaning and then go straight to donate and not put back. I just need to make a plan quickly!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1818 on: December 12, 2018, 01:33:06 AM »
We just booked a carpet cleaner to come in 3 days, <...>

As this site is also about saving money, have you investigated what it costs to rent a carpet cleaning machine for a weekend and do the job yourself? Wouldn't that be much cheaper?

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1819 on: December 12, 2018, 03:00:48 AM »

As this site is also about saving money, have you investigated what it costs to rent a carpet cleaning machine for a weekend and do the job yourself? Wouldn't that be much cheaper?

Local supermarket down here rents the machine for $50 a day plus $10 for the shampoo and anti-foam solution.

So easy to use and do it yourself. Highly recommend.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1820 on: December 12, 2018, 05:52:32 AM »
My neighbour is downsizing and clearing out her clutter and offering it to me.  I really like this person, but man, I am saying no, no, no.....until I accidentally cave.  I have started suggested different locations to donate things to.  So does it count if I stop clutter from entering my door? 

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1821 on: December 12, 2018, 08:36:37 AM »
Any tips for dropping prices on Craigslist? I want the item gone, and I've already dropped the price once...

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1822 on: December 12, 2018, 08:43:59 AM »
Any tips for dropping prices on Craigslist? I want the item gone, and I've already dropped the price once...

Try FB Marketplace instead. At least in my area, CL is super slow/way more dead.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1823 on: December 12, 2018, 09:39:02 AM »

If you want it gone, give it away.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1824 on: December 12, 2018, 10:05:29 AM »
I also use OfferUp, letgo and Nextdoor. I keep lowering the price until it’s gone.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1825 on: December 12, 2018, 11:16:47 AM »

Of course, but it was expensive and is in perfect shape.  I was wondering if anyone had some sort of strategy... for instance, if I was interested in an item, and noticed the seller had lowered the price, I might get greedy and not buy in case they lowered the price again.

Thanks @Cassie for those suggestions, I'll try them!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1826 on: December 12, 2018, 11:20:35 AM »

Of course, but it was expensive and is in perfect shape.  I was wondering if anyone had some sort of strategy... for instance, if I was interested in an item, and noticed the seller had lowered the price, I might get greedy and not buy in case they lowered the price again.

Thanks @Cassie for those suggestions, I'll try them!

I have a hard time with this too. Things I think should have value, but then don't sell easily.

For me, generally it is better to just let go. But it isn't always easy to do.  I certainly haven't always succeeded.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1827 on: December 12, 2018, 11:27:10 AM »
I was selling a nice set of dishes. I started at 60 and after two weeks took $25.  Some stuff sells fast for full price and others need price reductions.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1828 on: December 12, 2018, 11:38:53 AM »
My neighbour is downsizing and clearing out her clutter and offering it to me.  I really like this person, but man, I am saying no, no, no.....until I accidentally cave.  I have started suggested different locations to donate things to.  So does it count if I stop clutter from entering my door?

I think it does!

What I'm counting: I have an ongoing list I call Thrifting Treasures, where I put things I'd like to pick up if I see them in the second hand shop.  On this list is egg slicer.  I'm taking that off, since I'm not allowed to eat egg yolks on my diet right now, which makes hard boiled eggs and the need for a slicer moot.  Preemptive decluttering: it counts!

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1829 on: December 12, 2018, 11:45:27 AM »
@oneday  Thanks. 

I have brought the half sized guitar upstairs.  I am going to try to take it to a church downtown that has a holiday gift market for their registered clients a chance to 'shop' for gifts for their families as a pay what you can type market of handmade, and gently used items. 

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1830 on: December 12, 2018, 02:40:12 PM »

Try FB Marketplace instead. At least in my area, CL is super slow/way more dead.

I've also had much more luck on Facebook Marketplace than CL recently.  I find coming in at a "I want this gone" price helps a ton, over gradual price reductions.  I also Freecycle a ton instead of selling.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1831 on: December 12, 2018, 02:49:47 PM »
I read this thread pretty regularly but want to jump back into posting.

I have a breakfast in bed tray that seemed like a really good purchase at the time.  The Freecycle woman has no showed on me twice now.  I probably should move on.

I took photos yesterday of a bunch of stuff I'm going to Freecycle.  I'll post them Friday when I have more time to respond to inquiries.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1832 on: December 12, 2018, 03:23:15 PM »
Last night we dropped off some nice wine glasses (plus wine) to a  friend who has just moved into a new place and needs Stuff*, meanwhile neither of us drink wine anymore so I think we all win.

*actually does, we checked

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1833 on: December 12, 2018, 05:59:39 PM »

Local supermarket down here rents the machine for $50 a day plus $10 for the shampoo and anti-foam solution.

So easy to use and do it yourself. Highly recommend.

I am not able to get the carpet as clean as the truck mounted units. And if you don't get the soap out, then it can actually make the carpet get dirty faster.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1834 on: December 13, 2018, 02:53:28 AM »
I sold something else on eBay, and gave away more books and magazines at work.

Yasha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1835 on: December 13, 2018, 04:44:55 AM »
Tried to gift a musical instrument (guilele) to a work friend but they would not accept it as a gift and will give me $50 for it tomorrow XD

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1836 on: December 13, 2018, 01:12:40 PM »
Doing Secret Santa and Evil Santa at work. Evil Santa has to be a regift, so that's a couple more things I can declutter - a truly hideous brooch I was given and a couple of books.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1837 on: December 13, 2018, 03:35:44 PM »

Soooooollllllddddd it!!  Dropped the price $5 and posted it in a FB group.  Somebody I know has been looking for one for ages and bought it!  I dropped it a further $10 because I like her. 

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1838 on: December 13, 2018, 08:54:54 PM »
Posted nine things on Freecycle and six things on Facebook Marketplace.  Mostly divesting myself of bike accessories now that I don't ride as much and don't do much bike repair.  Probably the wrong season to be selling, but maybe there's a Mustachian out there who needs waterproof bike panniers.

Oddly, a bike saddle I was trying to sell got flagged as "not within policy" on FB, and the form to fill out to have it reviewed wouldn't submit for me, no matter what I did.  So off to Freecycle it goes.

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1839 on: December 14, 2018, 12:08:18 PM »
Posted a bunch of scarves I made years ago on a local Facebook page.  Person who wanted them planned to put into bags for homeless, so I offered up my hotel-sized toiletries stash as well.  She was delighted to accept the giant pile (3 stuffed gallon bags worth) of soaps, gels, lotions, shampoos, and conditioners, and a few unused toothbrushes.  After asking her, I also tossed in some less commonly needed but likely still appreciated items like unopened heat wrap boxes for various joint pains, unused disposable razors, eye drops, etc. that I came across while getting the toiletries.  Also have someone else taking the unmade scarf (aka a ball of yarn) soon.  I still have some toiletries left (I didn't want to pass on ones that didn't look in good condition, and some of the wraps on the older soaps weren't looking up to snuff though I'm sure the soaps themselves are fine), but it's massively cut down!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1840 on: December 15, 2018, 12:14:12 PM »
Final paper score for today:
3 papers in the plie, 8 notebooks.

Final paper score for yesterday:
? papers in the pile, 6 notebooks

Last week was a big week for mail and other paper. Plus, some of the paper I thought I was done with, I wasn't really. Today I might take a sick day, so maybe some progress???

The big win was notebooks. One was re purposed into a fledgling price book. The other I set aside to take notes on how to travel hack. I'm loving the mustachian tie ins for both :)

[Sigh] Dec 3 was so nice. 

The paper pile has grown, but I'm down to 5 notebooks.  I feel kind of cruddy & work has been busy, and OMG so much mail at home.  A perfect storm for someone who is adverse to dealing with paper.  I guess I better make a new push on this if I want to clear it up before the new year.

Can't remember if this was already posted, but I've lost some weight, so had to get new work slacks (I normally replace only when they wear out).  So another pair of slacks for the donation bin!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1841 on: December 15, 2018, 06:26:09 PM »
I've finished off another roll of wrapping paper, a roll of sticky tape and a roll of ribbon, and used up an organza gift bag.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1842 on: December 15, 2018, 08:55:59 PM »
today I did a major deep clean of my bedroom and bathroom and got rid of tons of things. I'm in general not someone who keeps a lot of old things, or memories from childhood/highschool/college, but I was surprised at some of the things I found, and promptly got rid of. I have two giant bags of clothing to donate as well, and a box of books. Our thrift store here is super duper picky about donations, so I am going to bring it to a thrift store in a bigger city when I get the chance!

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1843 on: December 16, 2018, 05:44:00 AM »
I have 5 more giant garbage bags full of clothes, coats and stuff ready for Vietnam Vets to pick up. Pick up isn't until Dec. 28th so I will have at least 5 more bags by then.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1844 on: December 16, 2018, 04:27:16 PM »
Sold a suit on eBay, posted that (with the suit bag) today.

Only one thing left for sale on eBay - everything else has sold. If it doesn't sell before Friday I will take down the post while I'm away over Christmas, then re-list when I sell again in January.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1845 on: December 16, 2018, 07:22:32 PM »
Both crock pots are now gone! One to a young Buy Nothing neighbor setting her life up, one sold for $15 to be someone's niece's xmas gift.

Travel for the holidays REQUIRES we take a thift store drop off trip. Sadly didn't happen today, but that was due to a work emergency for Husband. Before Friday though, it'll have to happen! At that point, pretty sure everything that NEEDS to go will be gone, and it'll be on to small things/optimizing/staying on top of stuff.

Dare I say, the end of our downsizing is in sight??

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1846 on: December 16, 2018, 09:16:17 PM »
Gave away three more books and a pen cup at work.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1847 on: December 16, 2018, 09:33:19 PM »
Cleaned garage!  (no virtue there, have house emergency that requires access to parts of the garage floor and wall)

- dropped off a bag of outgrown clothes to friend's daughter
- husband found the textile recycling bin and chucked all our rags there (a Santa sack full)
- segregated all the metal recycling. Will we actually get rid of it this week??
- threw out a bunch of junk!!
- consolidated three boxes into one tub of toys to give away. Can't do it yet because they have pieces missing that are somewhere in the house!
- posted a lot of stuff on local Buy Nothing group
- took photos of other stuff to sell/give away

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1848 on: December 17, 2018, 11:28:14 AM »
Went through my moving box at work. It's been there for months. Made a pile of things that need to go home, filed all receipts (we're required to keep them), organized everything, recycled the box! I also cleaned my desk so that all that's left is stuff I actually need & use.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1849 on: December 17, 2018, 11:43:44 AM »
I've been thinking about this thread, and why letting go of certain things is so hard.  Certainly some of it for me is "I spent money on this", but I think even more I have objects that represent who I aspire to be more than who I am right now.  I used to be an avid cyclist and hardcore bike commuter.  It's even reflected in my screen name.  But I haven't really biked regularly since kid #2 was born, and it's just not something that is happening in this season of my life.  We also don't really have bike storage, so my poor beater commuter has been out in the elements for the YEAR since I rode it.

The thing is I really WANT to want to bike.  It's been such a part of my identity for so long and it's part of what drew me to Mustachianism.  But biking has become something I SHOULD do rather than something I have a drive to do.  And that makes me sad.

So I'm going to let the bike go for now.  There's always bike share, which honestly is much more in line with my current lifestyle and riding frequency.  I'm sure someday that will change, but for now, it is what it is.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!