Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1249158 times)

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #3300 on: January 08, 2020, 09:27:06 AM »
Yesterday and today were big wins for digital decluttering: I filed or deleted more than 400 emails in my personal account.  Only about 130 to go to have an empty inbox!

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3301 on: January 08, 2020, 12:10:35 PM »
Ok, does anyone here know of a good, reliable way to pass on baby gear? 

I have a baby swing, a floor play mat, and a baby bathtub, all in good condition, but I can't get rid of them!  Once Upon a Child didn't want them (they don't take bath items, the play mat was missing a hanging toy, and I'm not sure why they didn't want the swing), but none of the thrift stores around here accept items "like that".  I don't know anyone currently pregnant who doesn't already have kids and all the gear they want already.

I really really don't want everything to go to the dump, as they're all in perfect working condition, but other than listing them for like $1 on FB marketplace (which is flooded with baby gear) or on Freecycle, I don't know how to get them out of my house.

I  can relate, Chaskavitch.

I think everyone wants brand new stuff for their kids (OK, understandable).

I tried to give away for free, a used stroller, and a used crib mattress. No one responded to my Craigslist ad!  I was trying to drop them off at Goodwill in the back, and a clerk ran and out and sternly  barked "No, we don't take those!!'

I finally found out the Salvation Army near me takes baby stuff, and I dropped them off there.

Good luck!

I never really understood the having to have all new stuff for the kid.  The only thing I really insisted on being new was the crib and the carseat.  And in both cases, we bought the version that would transition from infant to toddler to big kid (and beyond in the case of the crib).

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3302 on: January 08, 2020, 02:55:32 PM »
I think everyone wants brand new stuff for their kids (OK, understandable).

I tried to give away for free, a used stroller, and a used crib mattress. No one responded to my Craigslist ad!  I was trying to drop them off at Goodwill in the back, and a clerk ran and out and sternly  barked "No, we don't take those!!'

I think it depends on the item as to whether people* want new or used.  For example, can it be properly cleaned (plastic great, cloth that can't go in the washing machine is bad)?  Was it likely to see a lot of poop or other mess?  I can appreciate that certain items people want new (e.g. a mattress), but I've seen a lot other named items described here go fast on my local facebook group, particularly strollers.  Just may not have found the right medium for it?  For what it's worth, it's illegal to sell a used mattress in my state for hygienic reasons, so I can see that sketching people out, just like people worry about used car seats of unknown provenance.  Try yard sales/church sales/online groups in your area/coworkers.

I haven't been posting here because my progress has been so hopscotch around the house, but I am trying to send items out to make up for the kid inflow (have a baby on the way so I can't get rid of the baby stuff).  I've regorganized and gone through part of the guest closet with crafting, wrapping paper and other odds and ends.  I've gone through half of the dining room cupboard.  I've gone through part of the office.  I've given away random kitchen items.  Conclusion: I really need to pick one area and finish it!  My trouble is that I see something and start, but with limited time (^toddler), I only get partway through.  And then it's a bit before i can get back to it, and by the time I do I spot another area that bugs me with extraneous stuff that I dive into instead.  So when I was wrapping Christmas presents I went through the wrapping paper and then started in on the rest of the stuff in the guest closet.  But then a while later when putting away the empty cookie tin for Christmas I spotted some things to get rid of so did that shelf, etc.

*Personally accepted two used mattresses (and 2 cribs & sheets...) from a friend, a used stroller from a neighbor, used infant car seat & associated stroller from a different friend, floor play from yet another friend, many more items from those friends, and bought a used bathtub at a church sale for a few bucks, which I think covers all of the rejected items described above!

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #3303 on: January 08, 2020, 05:15:17 PM »
I borrowed Marie Kondo's book yesterday.  My wife (who is a bit of a hoarder) asked if it was for her.  I suggested we read it together.

I'm still alive.

And she seemed interested!

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #3304 on: January 09, 2020, 04:51:26 AM »
Next week will work out well for a trip to drop off donations, and it's supposed to be rainy this weekend, so as long as I don't have to go into work, I'm planning to do at least a quick decluttering pass through the house.  I especially think I have some clothes and some cookbooks that I wasn't ready to part with last time but could probably say goodbye to now.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3305 on: January 09, 2020, 09:50:34 AM »
Recycled a stack of 8 'vintage' magazines from 70's and 80's  I was thinking of selling on Ebay 'some day'.  Just tired of looking at them. Glad they are gone, yay!

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3306 on: January 09, 2020, 09:16:36 PM »
The people who came to pick up our bed frame also took our mattress, foam topper, AND a changing table that I wasn't sure anyone would want.  Win for us, and for the family who needs beds.  I'm really glad I found this organization, I hope I'll have some useful things for them in the future too.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 10:02:35 PM by chaskavitch »

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3307 on: January 09, 2020, 09:33:14 PM »
The people who came to pick up our bed frame also took our mattress, mattress pad, AND a changing table that I wasn't sure anyone would want.  Win for us, and for the family who needs beds.  I'm really glad I found this organization, I hope I'll have some useful things for them in the future too.
*\o/*
woo hoo! that is excellent!

- 4 art magazines from the 80s recycled
- a top that is very nice but just looks *weird* on me into the donation pile
- prevented myself from bringing More Things into the house by deciding that I have to use up X before I buy a replacement, regardless of how "low plastic" and "eco-friendly" the replacement is. Use the old one up FIRST!

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #3308 on: January 10, 2020, 07:30:49 AM »
I pulled out one small box from the deep storage shelves.  This area of the basement has all the "don't have any idea of what to do with this stuff" boxes.  It is like entering the hardest of the hardest stuff to think about.  Our college jackets - hell my late fathers college jacket or my grandfathers curling sweater - made by my dearest grandmothers own hands, quilts and rugs and all baby stuff I can't part with.  There is also some hidden failures in there (a special kettle wedding present sent from Italy that I overboiled)  A vintage red leather sony transistor radio my grandpa used to have with him everywhere.  It takes great big D-cell batteries and at some point in time they leaked into the body of the radio.  He died 40 years ago and I liked him. And one box of music. Not too big.  Maybe half a realm of paper big. Some of it mine, some of it from my Aunt's musical lessons and some of it bought at auction by my mother trying to inexpensively provide a music library for her children.  I am not ready to throw it all out.  That would be too easy.

It is now strew into various piles on the piano and throughout the living room.  Not sure what to do...Some of it smells mouldy.  First time I have opened the box in about 25 years.  I am thinking I will see how mouldy it smells.  Do some research into if it would be restorable.  I shall make some piles and ponder this one little box from a very large cupboard.  If I can do this one little box.  Maybe the rest of the cupboard is possible too.

DEADLINE:  cupboard needs to be emptied and gutted and then all exterior walls insulated and then re-built.  And it will be smaller so I should not just put all the stuff back in because it won't all fit back.  I should only put a little of it back.  This renovation will likely happen in July this year.  So I have some time to get started.  And started I am, with old music.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3309 on: January 10, 2020, 08:59:08 AM »
If it makes you feel better, I finally got rid of the ring pillow and fancy cake cutting knife from my wedding in a Flylady
inspired purge around 2000.  We got married in 1980.  And divorced in 1982.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3310 on: January 10, 2020, 09:08:54 AM »
This area of the basement has all the "don't have any idea of what to do with this stuff" boxes.  It is like entering the hardest of the hardest stuff to think about.

This is where I am right now, only it's my "computer" room that's full of stuff I don't really know what to do with.  Papers from high school and college, paper that is "filed" in piles, photos, old greeting cards, gifts that I hope to regift, old electronics I don't use, craft supplies - all the craft supplies, random crap I'll never use.  I need to get rid of roughly 99% of it!  I started working on the room this week, and it's going so slowly! But I'm determined to work through all the stuff, no matter how long it takes.  I've got the time.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3311 on: January 10, 2020, 10:00:13 AM »
If it makes you feel better, I finally got rid of the ring pillow and fancy cake cutting knife from my wedding in a Flylady
inspired purge around 2000.  We got married in 1980.  And divorced in 1982.
To me, it kind of feels like unpacking failures and wastefulness for all to see. 

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3312 on: January 10, 2020, 10:15:05 AM »
Exactly.  Or holding on to the dream that I'm the kind of person who will someday do something worthy of these things.  Whatever that could possibly be.  And by not doing it yet it is some kind of admission of some kind of failure.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #3313 on: January 10, 2020, 08:56:41 PM »
Frugal Lizard, I'm thinking that transistor radio could have the insides taken out, cleaned up and then used to store things. And anything fabric could be framed possibly?

I don't have much sentimental stuff but I've just uncovered my keepsakes box that was trapped behind a bookcase. It's a trunk and it belongs to my husband really so I'm going to empty the contents into a smaller box and let him decide what to store in the trunk. I'll do the 'take a photo' approach. I'm scanning old hardcopy photos (soon...). Caveat - I don't know what's in there!!!!!!

marion10

• Bristles
« Reply #3314 on: January 11, 2020, 06:53:01 PM »
Christmas stuff came down today- I made a pass through on ornaments when decorating and gave to my daughter. Unpacked boxes from my old office- just before vacation took two boxes to thrift shop.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3315 on: January 11, 2020, 07:09:42 PM »
I've put a reminder on my phone for mid-November 2020 - give away Xmas decorations!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3316 on: January 11, 2020, 10:33:03 PM »
Sold a suitcase. Now I have space on our shelves in the storage room for Christmas decorations. Woohoo!

We still have an ikea bag of broken toys from the previous tenant in our storage room. We should probably throw that away.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3317 on: January 12, 2020, 08:55:13 AM »
Pulled 2 serving spoons out of the drawer and put them in the box. These don't match the rest of my silverware, they're flimsier than everything else and since they're lighter they're always on top. Out.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3318 on: January 12, 2020, 09:44:13 AM »
Paused on the "computer" room to clean out the cabinets in my master bathroom yesterday - I think that probably hasn't been done in the 13 years I've lived here, so it was great to finally do.  Got one bag of trash out of the house this week, and listed a few things on eBay.

Started the next bag of trash with 2 pairs of worn-out running shoes.  I have a rotation where I use them exclusively for running, then for the gym, then for whatever, but I keep old pairs for way too long because they aren't completely worn out.  But really they aren't useful, and it feels good to get rid of the clutter.  I probably have 1 or 2 more that could go in the bag...

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3319 on: January 13, 2020, 07:02:18 AM »
Sold our old bike rack, my 18+ year old ski jacket, a top that didn't fit, & a piece of luggage we've never used. All out of the house, & money in. I've also put a few items in the donation pile.

I filed a few documents this weekend. Of course, I couldn't find the document I was actually looking for, but better luck next time, I suppose.

The kids are due for a major clothing overhaul. The have outgrown a bunch of stuff, and I need to prep a large back for donation.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3320 on: January 13, 2020, 11:57:44 AM »
Cleared out about half a billion dust mites from our bedroom, my home office, and breakfast nook area.  ;)

innkeeper77

• Bristles
« Reply #3321 on: January 13, 2020, 01:16:12 PM »
Does anyone use the slow cooker feature on your Instant Pot?

Yes! However, we discovered that the pressure lid isn't ideal, and messes up cooking times. We ended up purchasing the special instant pot glass lid, as it has that hole like most slow cooker lids do, to easily let out steam. That way, the cooking times match regular slow cookers, moisture content is similar, etc. The cost of the lid was well worth it in order to get rid of the old slow cooker!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3322 on: January 13, 2020, 02:29:27 PM »
Got rid of several cardboard boxes that DH was keeping “just in case he wanted to build a cardboard house for DD”. After a week and no house, I threw out the boxes.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3323 on: January 13, 2020, 03:13:44 PM »
I realized I have 5 largeish cardboard boxes in my storage unit, empty and waiting.  I should just get rid of them.  Ok, next time I'm up there...  If I need more storage containers later I can pick some up then.  They will be in better shape as well.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3324 on: January 13, 2020, 03:33:21 PM »
I wasted all morning trying to get an old small photo printer to work.  It *looks* like it’s in great shape, and I was hopeful I could either use all the consumables by printing some photos, or test it enough to sell on eBay, but it just flat won’t work.  There are no drivers that work with modern OS’s or cameras, so it is going in the trash the next time I walk upstairs.  I have assuaged all guilt around tossing it.

I’m a cardboard box hoarder.  It’s been a real help for selling things on eBay since I’ve only had to buy one box so far (I even made the most amazing frankenbox for a large odd-shaped item - that was fun).  I’m hoping the excess “stuff” and the boxes run out at the same time.

aloevera

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3325 on: January 13, 2020, 07:36:21 PM »
Lots of furniture has been going out via FB selling walls/marketplace. I'm moving out at the end of the month to travel for awhile so This Is It - I'm moving my bedroom furniture and a few boxes to a family member's house and that's it.

So far it's been kitchen table and chairs, silverware, a few dressers, a single bed, dehumidifier, rocking chair, some kitchen stuff, other misc furniture. I'm holding onto what I want to use for the next couple of weeks but some of it is spoken for already. I find it is not hard to get rid of furniture if I price it like a garage sale.

I don't much like messing with clothing online but I might list a few things that aren't too size-sensitive.

I'll wind up donating a lot of books, clothes and kitchen stuff, or put it out on the street a few days before trash pickup. People very often take stuff left at the curb. Got a grill and a couple of old bikes I'll probably do that with too.

Hardest things to throw out so far were my kids' artwork and papers from school - I took a few photos of the sweetest art and kept a few things. But threw out a giant box. It was sad, but they were here for Christmas and they themselves didn't want the stuff so....

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3326 on: January 14, 2020, 06:51:57 AM »
I have some 'attrition' decluttering going on. Used up an ancient vial of Nioxin scalp bionutient shampoo. It actually cracked apart when I squeezed it!

Also about to throw out a ripped and ripping shower curtain, to be replaced by an existing shower curtain I just found tucked way in a closet a week ago. Perfect timing.  No need to buy a new one.   

Trying to convince myself no one wants my old Hewlett Packard Deskjet printer, and to take it to Salvation Army.

chicklets123

• Stubble
« Reply #3327 on: January 14, 2020, 09:13:02 PM »
What do you all do with boxes for items you can possibly resell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3328 on: January 14, 2020, 10:18:22 PM »
I have some 'attrition' decluttering going on. Used up an ancient vial of Nioxin scalp bionutient shampoo. It actually cracked apart when I squeezed it!

Also about to throw out a ripped and ripping shower curtain, to be replaced by an existing shower curtain I just found tucked way in a closet a week ago. Perfect timing.  No need to buy a new one.   

Trying to convince myself no one wants my old Hewlett Packard Deskjet printer, and to take it to Salvation Army.

Even the thrift store won't want your old printer. Sometimes there are electronic recycling places that strip out the copper etc, but it's basically landfill.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3329 on: January 15, 2020, 04:28:21 AM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You mean the box it came in? I might keep a box for a year but after a few months I doubt someone buying it would expect you to have it. They take up so much space.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3330 on: January 15, 2020, 04:31:10 AM »
You should see our place! We are mid-sort, mid-clean and mid-move and it looks like a hoarder house, I can't find anything! In less than 2 weeks we should be done...

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3331 on: January 15, 2020, 11:57:46 PM »
I finally tackled my memories / keepsakes box. It never got done in two KonMarie purges. Wow, should have done this earlier. Looks like I kept every letter I ever received... They are now all in the bin.

I had school reports that were glowing in primary school and not so great in senior school, ha ha. One of them said I had more ability than anyone else in the class but failed to follow instructions. One said my potential remains untapped. In the bin!

I had a copy of Black Beauty that my dad used to read to me and used to teach me to read but it's in such bad shape from humidity that I've had to chuck it out. Feel bad as it was my mum's but nothing lasts here in this climate.

I have three journals to read from when I was a late teen. If they are embarrasing and shallow then in the bin they will go too! If not maybe I can scan them as they too are mildewed.

I have a bunch of awesome photos to scan including from my first camera aged 7 or so.  And after the scan they will be perhaps boxed up, I'm undecided. Other than that I have no physical items that I'm keeping.

UPDATE: The journals are in the bin, too embarrassing.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 04:29:39 AM by Fresh Bread »

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3332 on: January 16, 2020, 09:53:08 AM »
Took the old Hewlett Packard Deskjet printer to Salvation Army dropoff place. A fairly big, heavy item gone from my cluttered house. Good.

Took down the old torn shower curtain. Fortunately, I had a replacement brand new shower curtain available that I found in the hoard soon after I started thinking about replacing the old one.  New shower curtain is up and looks beautiful. Old one has been thrown out.

Recycled a few empty bottles from my kitchen cabinets.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3333 on: January 16, 2020, 10:02:20 AM »
Another trash bag filled with "computer" room junk and taken to the curb!  It included some college course notes and old phone books.  Still more college notes to go through. [I graduated 17 years ago, quit my job in my field in December, and don't intend to go back - it's still hard to throw these out, even though they've NEVER been useful past school!]

I was apparently a hoarder of product boxes, too, which turns out to be nice for reselling things on eBay.  I have tons of extra space in my home, so storing them wasn't/isn't an issue.  I kept them in closets and cabinets, usually near where the item is used.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3334 on: January 16, 2020, 11:08:24 AM »
I just lost another friend to cancer, 3 months from having a bit of pain from "a pulled muscle" he got checked before heading down here as a snowbird to when he died.  I am 65 and have no kids.  My 20'x10' storage unit seems really unnecessarily full of stuff as I have no kids to dump, err leave it to.  Extra desire now to get rid of the past lives it represents and be free to get on with enjoying the now.  I'm a cancer survivor already, but it seems like my family and friends are dropping like flies.  I don't want someone else pulling a dumpster up and and just trashing my stuff.  Better to handle it myself.   Onward.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3335 on: January 16, 2020, 12:07:06 PM »
I just lost another friend to cancer, 3 months from having a bit of pain from "a pulled muscle" he got checked before heading down here as a snowbird to when he died.  I am 65 and have no kids.  My 20'x10' storage unit seems really unnecessarily full of stuff as I have no kids to dump, err leave it to.  Extra desire now to get rid of the past lives it represents and be free to get on with enjoying the now.  I'm a cancer survivor already, but it seems like my family and friends are dropping like flies.  I don't want someone else pulling a dumpster up and and just trashing my stuff.  Better to handle it myself.   Onward.

I haven't read the book "Swedish Death Cleaning" yet but what I was doing yesterday was what I imagine it's like. I threw out a bunch of my stuff that woukd seem to have sentimental value but really only a tiny fraction did. It would have been a shit job for someone else.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. Good luck on the storage unit.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3336 on: January 16, 2020, 09:38:04 PM »
These are all my hardcopy photos. They are so compact when out of the albums! So much so that I might keep them once they are scanned... It took hours to get them out of the albums though, did not expect that to be such a mission!

Now to count them, check they are all the right way up and possibly remove some of people from school / uni / backpacking days that I can't even remember. I must also convince husband to send his off too. I have picked a mid-priced place where it will cost about $150 to scan 400 pictures and they put them on a USB.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3337 on: January 17, 2020, 08:37:51 AM »
15 more giant black garbage bags filled with donations awaiting for Vietnam Veterans to pick up today. Decided I do not like my Instant Pot so loaded it into a box with a big cookbook. I am probably one of the odd balls of the world that isn't a fan of the IP. Oh well, someone else might enjoy it! I considered selling it on ebay but it was the largest one, 8 quarts, very heavy to ship.

The house is still full to the brim with stuff.

Anyone know how to get rid of a gigantic older flat screen tv? The tv is about 12 years old so not worth anything at all. I know I can pay for someone to get rid of it but looking for a free option.

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3338 on: January 17, 2020, 09:10:25 AM »

Anyone know how to get rid of a gigantic older flat screen tv? The tv is about 12 years old so not worth anything at all. I know I can pay for someone to get rid of it but looking for a free option.

We posted an old TUBE tv for free on Craigslist and it was gone within a day (this is within the last 3 years too). There might be someone who wants a tv and is happy to have it.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3339 on: January 17, 2020, 06:56:21 PM »

We posted an old TUBE tv for free on Craigslist and it was gone within a day (this is within the last 3 years too). There might be someone who wants a tv and is happy to have it.

Yes.  We put a 9 year old lcd up on freecycle last month, and it was gone in 2 hours.  It had some wrinkling of the screen, and we made sure to note that in the post.  Person that wanted it said he didn't care about that.   He sent us a lovely thank you email a day later, saying he thought the screen was fine, and how happy he was to get it for free.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3340 on: January 17, 2020, 07:34:27 PM »
Have scanned postcards from my Dad and newspaper clippings of various family achievements so now the originals are in the recycling, yay. Depending on what happens to my photos, my keepsakes may be reduced from a trunk-full down to one card, one postcard, a few gig tickets and my old passports :) 

I've also listed a few more bits for sale and for free. Getting there, place still looks like a tip though.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3341 on: January 18, 2020, 08:02:58 AM »
DD’s teacher just sent a note that the school wants boxes, cartons, yarn, fabric, and broken toys for an art project. Woohoo! One giant ikea bag of broken toys and old blankets will be brought to school on Monday, freeing yet another shelf in our storage closet. I wish she had sent us the note a month earlier. I threw out another giant bag of toys earlier that were all bits and pieces from various toy sets.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3342 on: January 18, 2020, 09:44:21 AM »
DD’s teacher just sent a note that the school wants boxes, cartons, yarn, fabric, and broken toys for an art project. Woohoo! One giant ikea bag of broken toys and old blankets will be brought to school on Monday, freeing yet another shelf in our storage closet. I wish she had sent us the note a month earlier. I threw out another giant bag of toys earlier that were all bits and pieces from various toy sets.

You'll be getting some of that back in the form of your child's finished "project!"

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3343 on: January 18, 2020, 12:38:23 PM »
15 more giant black garbage bags filled with donations awaiting for Vietnam Veterans to pick up today. Decided I do not like my Instant Pot so loaded it into a box with a big cookbook. I am probably one of the odd balls of the world that isn't a fan of the IP. Oh well, someone else might enjoy it! I considered selling it on ebay but it was the largest one, 8 quarts, very heavy to ship.

Years ago, we put ours out on the curb with a FREE sign taped to it.  The neighbors across the street snagged it up within the hour, LOL.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3344 on: January 18, 2020, 12:47:53 PM »
One clay pot gone to a neighbour.  Not a big deal but it is the first of my clay pot collection to leave the house.
One book added to the free library.
Some catalogue...gone

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3345 on: January 18, 2020, 12:55:08 PM »

Years ago, we put ours out on the curb with a FREE sign taped to it.  The neighbors across the street snagged it up within the hour, LOL.

I love the "put it on the curb" option. We can't do it here in our neighborhood, but a friend locally has what she calls "The Awesome Table" where anyone can put anything and anyone can take anything.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3346 on: January 18, 2020, 06:11:38 PM »

I love the "put it on the curb" option. We can't do it here in our neighborhood, but a friend locally has what she calls "The Awesome Table" where anyone can put anything and anyone can take anything.

Craigslist is better, for the simple fact that it goes quicker and there's less chance of the thing not getting taken and getting rained on.

Also if you use craigslist it might be more likely to go to someone that's hard up and has no money rather than someone who just likes to fill their house with junk.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3347 on: January 19, 2020, 07:52:38 PM »
The music has been sorted and half the box is ready to be donated.   A quarter of the box is in the recycling and the remaining quarter fits on the music shelf.  I played some of it and may play it some more.  We shall see.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3348 on: January 20, 2020, 06:23:46 AM »

You'll be getting some of that back in the form of your child's finished "project!"

Nope! They’re using it to build playground models as part of a group project. I’ll get pictures of her work and maybe a video clip of them designing and building the model, and then the school either keeps it or throws it out! :D

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3349 on: January 20, 2020, 06:47:03 AM »
Full bag of college notes are now in the trash - that should be all of them!  I know that I still have some limited items from high school in a filing cabinet in a closet, but I'm not there yet.