Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1249498 times)

okisok

• Pencil Stache
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #3400 on: February 04, 2020, 05:51:36 PM »
Took some advice from this thread and starting wearing the 'meh' clothes. Already one cardigan in the donate pile.

Got one shirt mended, and supplies ordered to fix a sweater that I love but is unwearable right now.

Youngest decided she was too big for the car seat and the state guidelines back her up. Woot--one less thing in the car! Also got out a container of wipes that only had one left. Used it to wipe down the seats and got rid of it.

Have a stack of hardback books to donate and a bag of clothes in the car. Now I just have to actually get them to the donate center :)

Edited to add: A pyrex baking dish that got dropped :/
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 06:24:12 PM by okcisok »

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3401 on: February 05, 2020, 05:31:34 PM »
One thing that is helping me -- I created an empty cupboard in my kitchen to hold things that I decide I don't use often enough anymore.   It is so much easier to toss as soon as I have that thought, if I have a place centrally to put it.  I then clear out the cupboard every 2 months to goodwill.

Do any of you do this?

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #3402 on: February 06, 2020, 05:05:07 AM »
One thing that is helping me -- I created an empty cupboard in my kitchen to hold things that I decide I don't use often enough anymore.   It is so much easier to toss as soon as I have that thought, if I have a place centrally to put it.  I then clear out the cupboard every 2 months to goodwill.

Do any of you do this?

I have a basket in my laundry room where I put things I want to donate.  I agree that it helps to be able to "get rid" of something as soon as it occurs to you.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3403 on: February 06, 2020, 01:00:26 PM »
Another bag of trash out of the house and some scrapbooking supplies given to a friend.

I have been collecting clothing to donate for over a year.  And recently started a bag for miscellaneous items.  Goal for tomorrow is to actually take them to be donated.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3404 on: February 07, 2020, 01:31:00 PM »
This morning I mailed off a saddle I was very reluctant to sell.  The new owner gets a one-week trial, so it could come back, but we'll see.  It doesn't fit my horses and is made for much more aggressive galloping and jumping than I will ever do, so it needed to go, but I loved it!

This weekend I need to do a sweep through my closet and see if I can add anything to the small pile of Clothes I Don't Love, then donate them, along with some old dishes.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3405 on: February 07, 2020, 02:45:55 PM »
Goal for tomorrow is to actually take them to be donated.

Did it!  2 bags of clothes and half a bag of shoes/purses that I collected during a closet clean-out Thanksgiving weekend 2018.  Plus a bag of more recently collected random home things.

I've already set out my next donation bag so that I can add to it as I continue to clear things out.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #3406 on: February 07, 2020, 04:25:22 PM »
I have too many cups / mugs. They don't fit in the cupboard in the new place. It's so hard to throw out functional things. Some are too scratched inside for rehoming. The worst most scratched I guess will just go in the bin. We've had moments in the past where we've gone through loads but now we have a double dishdrawer so there's always a clean one.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3407 on: February 07, 2020, 06:01:11 PM »
I have so many pots, pans, baking dishes, etc in the drawer under my stove that the drawer got stuck today! Scary. But I jostled it and it opened. To make more room, I zeroed in on an small old pot that had burned black on the inside bottom. White porcelain(?) otherwise. Tossed it into the big metal recycling bin.

Also took one big bag of clothes to Salvation Army, and one big bag of ripped, worn out clothes to the textile recycling bin.

Gave away a hard back copy of a Harry Potter book to a lady at the senior center, which she appreciated.   

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #3408 on: February 07, 2020, 06:06:06 PM »
@Goldielocks I do a variation.  Sometimes lately I don't have anything outgoing, but when I do, I grab a box or a bag to hold the things.  When the container is full I take them to the donation center.  I keep the container in a somewhat handy but mostly out of the way place in the mean time.

Today I donated 8 scarves & a pair of fingerless gloves.  They were intended for a charity that distributes them in December, but my contact fell off the face of the planet.  I'm happy to have found an alternate charity!

iamthepinky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3409 on: February 08, 2020, 02:51:27 PM »
last weekend i finally tackled my massive pile of clean, unfolded laundry *and* did all of my dirty laundry, folded it, and put it all away. I got rid of a few garments but this was just a win to get rid of a major nuisance.

this week, I ordered some mason jars of varying sizes and completely revamped the food-containing shelves of my pantry (there's still one non-food shelf that I haven't touched). I put all of my unopened animal-based foods into a bag for donation (went vegan several months ago). Got rid of a bunch of empty coffee cans I was saving for storing something because they looked cool. But years had gone by without using them, so...off they went to the recycling. Also moved some tools to their appropriate home (they were misshelved).

The end result is amazing. Clean, organized, and spacious instead of cluttered. Huge diffference. Glad to learn that the only thing I overbought due to previous clutter was a can of cornstarch.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3410 on: February 08, 2020, 07:31:56 PM »
I finished purging and reorganizing the computer room!  I still have a table full of things to put up on eBay (or throw in the donation bag), but I'm slowly adding them (I'm up against the 50 free listings limit, so I have to be strategic about it).

I started posting some larger items on Facebook Marketplace.  Wow.  I listed 4 things so far, and I'm going to possibly get rid of 3 of them tomorrow.  I hope every shows/pays!

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3411 on: February 08, 2020, 10:35:48 PM »
We sold a car.   
Feels great even though we ended up selling it about 10% less than I think we could have gotten, but private sales in winter are not the best way to go, and I won't need to reinsure it next month.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3412 on: February 09, 2020, 01:24:26 PM »

My decluttering got an unexpected boost in the form of a huge new dog who likes to jump on tables and chew on everything. I've cleared all of my tabletops, organized my basement tools, corralled my computer and AV cables, and am keeping my kitchen counters clearer than ever! It's like having a really cute live-in junk auditor who destroys excess. Although I'm happy for Goldielocks for getting rid of her car now, I've kept my table lamps in a basement cupboard in the faint hope that I'll be able to train my dog out of jumping on end tables.

Yeah, I think I'll be doing some of that later. New kitty Jill has given some indications that she likes to watch things fall. We will see, she's not comfortable enough yet for these types of behaviors to come out.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3413 on: February 09, 2020, 02:04:16 PM »
Sent two mattresses for recycling. One was replaced but the other was from the spare room and we are no longer keeping a spare bed made up. I'm so pleased as it was such a waste of space, people so rarely stay and if they do it's usually just a someone passing through and we can borrow a fold out. We can keep less linen now too. I don't have to declutter any because it's wearing out on its own all of a sudden.

Tonight we put out our bulky rubbish for collection. Just need to make sure we don't forget anything!  And also put it out late enough so our neighbours don't start dumping stuff, we are only allowed 3 cubic metres and there are strict rules about what can go. We have been left to deal with other people's rubbish before!

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3414 on: February 09, 2020, 04:54:27 PM »
Got rid of half the stuff in my office closet and a ton of big serving dishes. I filled my small car.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #3415 on: February 09, 2020, 06:22:53 PM »
I keep finding odd papers when I am looking for something else and bam - into the recycling. 
I am also using up a lot of watercolour paper -using the back of paintings I am no longer attached to do back to basics exercises.
I used some left over materials to make up a seedling starting table.  And pitched the remainder. 

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3416 on: February 10, 2020, 08:57:39 AM »
Just listed all my unopened (!!!) exercise dvds on Ebay. Any that don't sell will go right to the local library book sale. Clear clutter and get a little money back in the pocket.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3417 on: February 10, 2020, 02:36:02 PM »
Thursday I finally did more work in my home office.  It was nice because DH wasn't home, so there were no interruptions, making a huge difference!  I filed a stack of paper, tossed a few things, put a box of Crayons and colored pencils into the donate box, and relocated several items.  I stashed trinkets and whatnot's into a small box until I decide what to do with them all.  (Magnets, other travel souvenirs, etc.)  The inside of my roll top desk is now cleared off, and the interior cubbies contain purposeful items.  The top drawer now contains only office supply related items.  I straightened up the bookshelves inside the closet, and hung a few more items including a small mirror.  I'll see if my friend who owns a skate shop wants the unused novelty buttons I never wore. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 02:15:50 PM by MountainGal »

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3418 on: February 10, 2020, 08:20:01 PM »
Going through the sewing/project/alteration pile and actually fixing or doing said alteration.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3419 on: February 13, 2020, 08:19:13 AM »
Got rid of half the stuff in my office closet and a ton of big serving dishes. I filled my small car.

I'm going to add the small stack of saucers that has been sitting under my kitchen table for a year, to the next donation bag I take over to Salvation Army. I should add some other dishes from the cupboards too. Way too many for one house, lol. 

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3420 on: February 13, 2020, 08:51:18 AM »
Successfully sold 5 things on FB Marketplace and made $140!

These all came from my guest room - either were stored in the closet or were furnishing the room.  I haven’t had a guest in 9 years (and don’t intend to have a guest room in the future), so everything but the bed is targeted to go!  The larger furniture went fast, and now I just hope someone will be interested in the smaller things.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3421 on: February 13, 2020, 10:39:23 AM »

At first, I thought you said you got rid of half the stuff in your closet, as in clothes.  That would really be impressive!  (Not that your declutter wasn't.)

Some fashion guy on TV once said "Get rid of half the clothes in your closet and you'll look twice as stylish."  Assuming you get rid of the rattier half, lol.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #3422 on: February 13, 2020, 01:31:43 PM »
Today I donated 8 scarves & a pair of fingerless gloves.  They were intended for a charity that distributes them in December, but my contact fell off the face of the planet.  I'm happy to have found an alternate charity!

I'm on a roll.  Was able to store a small TV I use as a second computer monitor in the bookshelf where the scarves had lived, so it's no longer blocking up my dresser top!

And then yesterday I finally made it to the charity shop to donate another bag of miscellany.

And then yesterday, room mate gave me an organizer for our shared hobby, which was delightful and I proceeded to fill with hobby tools.  But then that left the organizer I was supposedly going to make empty.  It wasn't actually an organizer, just a pile of parts to make an organizer.  Some was trashed, some was repurposed, but one piece is slated for donation.  I will offer it at a group meeting of hobby friends tomorrow.

@Goldielocks this is the real reason I keep a perpetual box for the outgoing items.  As soon as I donate one batch, another one starts acumulating.  I sometimes feel like I am just churning stuff rather than decluttering. 🤦‍♀️  I'd like to be done one day...

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3423 on: February 14, 2020, 06:33:07 AM »
My plan is to get new flooring in my house this summer, so everything will need to be up off the floor in order for that to happen. I might as well get a head start. We have a long weekend this weekend, so one of my projects is to declutter the walk in closet in my bedroom. I know there is a lot of stuff in there that can go. Posting here for accountability.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3424 on: February 14, 2020, 06:57:28 AM »

At first, I thought you said you got rid of half the stuff in your closet, as in clothes.  That would really be impressive!  (Not that your declutter wasn't.)

Some fashion guy on TV once said "Get rid of half the clothes in your closet and you'll look twice as stylish."  Assuming you get rid of the rattier half, lol.
.....heeeheee type giggles......

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3425 on: February 14, 2020, 11:09:18 PM »
Got rid of a cake icing bag and parts that was cheap and flimsy. I rarely..ok, never decorate cookies anymore anyway.
A pair of too-large gloves that are brand-new.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #3426 on: February 15, 2020, 11:51:36 AM »
Gave the hobby item to a hobby friend. Yay, no perpetual donation box (at the moment)! 🥳

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3427 on: February 16, 2020, 07:44:32 AM »
My plan is to get new flooring in my house this summer, so everything will need to be up off the floor in order for that to happen. I might as well get a head start. We have a long weekend this weekend, so one of my projects is to declutter the walk in closet in my bedroom. I know there is a lot of stuff in there that can go. Posting here for accountability.

Update: One large bin of "wishful thinking" pants has been transferred to the car for donation. One bookshelf gone through, about half the books donated, the rest boxed up and taken down to the basement for now, until the flooring project is done. Bookshelf folded down and stored in another room. Miscellaneous donation box started and is about half full.

Hopefully I can finish this project today so that I can do some fun stuff tomorrow.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3428 on: February 16, 2020, 03:24:28 PM »
Sunny, when I retired I did get rid of half of my clothes 8 years ago.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3429 on: February 16, 2020, 08:21:29 PM »
Assuming he turns up - I have agreed to sell a table base to a guy for $80 today. It was a re-furb project I never got round to and I got it for free originally, so what a score.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3430 on: February 16, 2020, 09:46:42 PM »
Assuming he turns up - I have agreed to sell a table base to a guy for $80 today. It was a re-furb project I never got round to and I got it for free originally, so what a score.
Sa-weeeeeet!

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3431 on: February 16, 2020, 11:01:55 PM »
Sa-weeeeeet!

He's not here yet....

Broke a glass today, and it was even one of the older ones.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3432 on: February 16, 2020, 11:06:39 PM »
One of our amber glass plates had an edge peel away, promising shattered pyrex next time it went through the dishwasher so out that goes.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3433 on: February 17, 2020, 01:21:42 AM »
We let our son sell our 20 year old universal gym and keep the proceeds. He made $200! It needed to go and was just taking up space and collecting dust in the garage.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3434 on: February 17, 2020, 01:24:36 PM »
$200!  Score.  On trash day, I literally see several of these every week.  If I had a trailer all the time, I could open a store with these things.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3435 on: February 22, 2020, 09:20:32 AM »
Finally getting rid of those 3 cans of Avon SLimwell Milkshake powder, just cuz they are so old, and therefore questionable.

Shame, really, but they are now in the kitchen garbage bag. Just a matter of taking  it to the curb. Sad, but I'll get over it, ha ha.       

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3436 on: February 22, 2020, 10:00:06 AM »
Finally getting rid of those 3 cans of Avon SLimwell Milkshake powder, just cuz they are so old, and therefore questionable.

Shame, really, but they are now in the kitchen garbage bag. Just a matter of taking  it to the curb. Sad, but I'll get over it, ha ha.       

Yay!  I knew you could do it!

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3437 on: February 22, 2020, 10:55:04 AM »
We decluttered by selling our motor home yesterday. It was 27 ft and took up one of our parking spaces.  We got 5500 and the driveway looks much better without it.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3438 on: February 22, 2020, 02:42:20 PM »
My DH went through some of his stuff - we are needing some boxes for the kids to pack up their rooms for some reno work.  The grey bin and blue bin each got a bunch of stuff added to them.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3439 on: February 22, 2020, 10:35:16 PM »
My husband is losing weight (10kg so far) so I've pulled half a dozen things out of his wardrobe that he's shrunk out of. Some I will cut up for sewing projects, some will go in the Vinnies bag.

ItsALongStory

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3440 on: February 23, 2020, 07:15:08 AM »
Had our first big yardsale in anticipation of our move abroad. Sold some tools, two kayaks, a fire pit, hammock, bunch of random crap and made $1500 or so. Can barely tell anything is gone from the garage but the money will come in handy for added suitcases this summer.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3441 on: February 23, 2020, 04:57:50 PM »
Not so much decluttered as politely declined a useless item a colleague tried to give me.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3442 on: February 23, 2020, 06:11:34 PM »
Three books to the street library, 2 magazines to work library, 4 magazines into recycling.

Big rubbish is about to start and I am trying to think of anything that should go out

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3443 on: February 23, 2020, 08:13:46 PM »
There is a Marie Kondo consultants course in London in May. I'm in the UK in May so actually toying with the idea! It's very expensive though and I don't look the part tbh.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3444 on: February 23, 2020, 08:59:13 PM »
We did our last Goodwill run of "crap that was left at our old place." FREEDOM.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3445 on: February 24, 2020, 03:53:09 PM »
Watched the recycling truck take away a bunch of cardboard shoeboxes and shirt boxes and old greeting cards I dug out of a closet last week.

The interesting thing was, for some reason they are now putting the glass, plastic and cardboard all into the same compartment in the recycling truck!  Hope they are still recycling it, and not landfilling it!  Oh well, not my problem, right? lol.     

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3446 on: February 24, 2020, 04:47:51 PM »
Took a bookcase, quilt stand, several picture frames and an art project DS did years ago but didn't want now to Goodwill today.  I don't think the art project will make it out of the stock room - the guy that helped us unload stuff was very taken with it.  (metal wolf's head).

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3447 on: February 25, 2020, 08:33:22 PM »
Dropped off a big bag of towels at the animal clinic down the road. 

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3448 on: February 26, 2020, 06:39:49 PM »
Put everything on the 'might be worth something' list on FB Marketplace today. Total is under $75 for all the items, so I'll give it a week and then donate the items. They've all been hanging about for almost 5 months. I even added a few extra things while I was at it!

I've been procrastinating this for weeks and it took less than half an hour. So I'll make about $50/hour between posting and meeting, if all goes well. If not, I'll donate knowing I tried.

I planted some green onion cuttings in a pot I already had. Free green onions, fresh all the time! No more plastic bags to throw away (Aldi, why must you wrap all of your frugal produce in plastic??)

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3449 on: February 26, 2020, 08:32:46 PM »
Donated a carload of stuff that has been sitting in the storage room for over 10 years. Sadly, the thrift store did not want our baby stuff - umbrella stroller, Fisher Price rocker, booster seat, etc. Those things are currently sitting in my mom's garage. She doesn't want strangers coming to the house and doesn't want the hassle of waiting for a potential person who may or may not show up at an agreed upon location, so they will either be donated at a drop-off donation box or thrown away.

Today, I cleared the pantry and have another box of donations ready to go to the thrift store. My mom found out that she has five rice cookers and four clay pots for boiling Chinese medicines. We convinced her to donate one rice cooker and three clay pots.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!