Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 772658 times)

slackmax

• Pencil Stache
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #3400 on: February 01, 2020, 08:58:30 AM »
One big heavy hardcover book donated to the senior center.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3401 on: February 01, 2020, 06:53:38 PM »
I finally did it.

I FIRED in spring 2017.   Today I finally got rid of the last of my work / office clothes.
These are the "nice" ones that survived a large purge 1 a year ago, moving to the "what if" pile.

I got rid of my nice (very expensive) "interview" suit.  I was holding onto to it "just in case" I needed to find a job.

I got rid of all button ups that were not appropriate for dinner with friends.   I got rid of the expensive heeled knee high boots that cost be $250 that I could not run in.  I got rid of the only pair of dressy warm boots for winter / snow that still worked with business attire (but please ignore the square toes).  I no longer own any white blouses.   I no longer own "nice" chinos for business casual fridays. I got rid of my only cocktail dress that could be used for business related charity events.  WHEE!

Still need to trim the "semi casual" blazer and cardigan horde, but that is a different mountain to climb as I still wear them, love them, but only 1x a week now so I don't need 6 cardi's and 8 blazers, right...?.

Whew. 

mspym

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3402 on: February 01, 2020, 08:14:23 PM »
@Goldielocks wheeeee! that is *splendid* No! More! White! Shirts!
And if you regularly wear and love all the cardigans/blazers, keep them and reassess in another 6 months.

ItsALongStory

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3403 on: February 01, 2020, 11:35:23 PM »
Bought a new pair of gym shoes on Friday but also got rid of 3 other pairs in the process so a net win. And also purged several pairs of shorts and wife has given through her Christmas decorations and is able to part with most of it.

This has been a point of contention for a while as my wife had 20 plastic tubs full of Christmas decorations. That seems to go down to 4-5.

okcisok

• Bristles
« Reply #3404 on: February 01, 2020, 11:58:02 PM »
A small thing, but I used some of stationery hoard by writing letters, and some art supplies for small projects that will go out of the house.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #3405 on: February 02, 2020, 03:30:02 AM »
I convinced my daughter to clear up her stuff before she heads off to uni.  We took a large bag of unworn clothes to the recycle place, and the recycle bin is full of paperwork she no longer needs.  There will be more to do, but she is on board with this.

My wife also spent a few hours cleaning up her emails.  Thousands were deleted, a few folders created, and now she can find stuff. She is determined to unsubscribe from lots of different sites so it stays manageable.

slackmax

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3406 on: February 02, 2020, 12:37:26 PM »
Used the 'spend 10 minutes in one room, finding, or at least looking for, disposable clutter' method.

I was in the guest bedroom. I thought I had already gone through the stuff here, but I found some huge plastic tubs I had not apparently opened. Cleaned the dust off first, then pried one open. Eureka! Full of clean used slacks from the girl friend. The size was pretty big so they would be a hard sell at the rummage sale. Also a few big plastic bags of slacks.

All told, I took off three big plastic bags of slacks to the Salvation Army this morning.

I have so many different parts of the house full of clutter, I have to force myself to pick one place, and just 'be there' amidst it all, no escape, just do something, no procrastinating, even if if all you do is identify what's there. I actually look at the clock before starting.

Feeling good about getting rid of the three big bags!      Taking a break now, lol.

Frugal Lizard

• Magnum Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #3407 on: February 02, 2020, 12:46:52 PM »
Some more papers hit the shredder.
More linens in the rag pile.
Some of the rags that were lacy - in the garbage.

Sibley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3408 on: February 03, 2020, 12:35:58 PM »
Task cleanup/supplies used:
Got some work done in the utility room, which means got the 2 doors out of the bedroom, put the knobs on them, then managed to get the tools and laundry supplies into the cabinets. So, that's stuff from the bedroom and hall closet been cleaned out, which greatly improves the appearance and functionality of those spaces. Also got 3 of the 5 cabinet end panels installed. I will need to figure out organization in the cabinets, but for right now this is a huge win.

Stuff going away:
A work top that I just don't like in the box.
4 boxes that had been storing all the stuff that got put in the utility room are broken down and in the recycling.

SheWhoWalksAtLunch

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3409 on: February 03, 2020, 01:39:25 PM »
I dropped three dining room chairs off at the Goodwill collection trailer during my lunch break today.  Feels good to finally have them out of the house and headed to someone who will appreciate/use them.

Raenia

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3410 on: February 03, 2020, 04:38:58 PM »
Dropped off a box at the thrift store this afternoon.  The stuff had been marked 'gone' in my brain for a while, but now it is actually physically gone as well.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3411 on: February 03, 2020, 04:59:58 PM »
A few more boxes to donation today, plus a huge canvas painting DS had done as a student.  He didn't want it, so either someone will like it as is, or paint over it. 

okcisok

• Bristles
« Reply #3412 on: February 04, 2020, 05:51:36 PM »
Took some advice from this thread and starting wearing the 'meh' clothes. Already one cardigan in the donate pile.

Got one shirt mended, and supplies ordered to fix a sweater that I love but is unwearable right now.

Youngest decided she was too big for the car seat and the state guidelines back her up. Woot--one less thing in the car! Also got out a container of wipes that only had one left. Used it to wipe down the seats and got rid of it.

Have a stack of hardback books to donate and a bag of clothes in the car. Now I just have to actually get them to the donate center :)

Edited to add: A pyrex baking dish that got dropped :/
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 06:24:12 PM by okcisok »

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3413 on: February 05, 2020, 05:31:34 PM »
One thing that is helping me -- I created an empty cupboard in my kitchen to hold things that I decide I don't use often enough anymore.   It is so much easier to toss as soon as I have that thought, if I have a place centrally to put it.  I then clear out the cupboard every 2 months to goodwill.

Do any of you do this?

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #3414 on: February 06, 2020, 05:05:07 AM »
One thing that is helping me -- I created an empty cupboard in my kitchen to hold things that I decide I don't use often enough anymore.   It is so much easier to toss as soon as I have that thought, if I have a place centrally to put it.  I then clear out the cupboard every 2 months to goodwill.

Do any of you do this?

I have a basket in my laundry room where I put things I want to donate.  I agree that it helps to be able to "get rid" of something as soon as it occurs to you.

NotJen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3415 on: February 06, 2020, 01:00:26 PM »
Another bag of trash out of the house and some scrapbooking supplies given to a friend.

I have been collecting clothing to donate for over a year.  And recently started a bag for miscellaneous items.  Goal for tomorrow is to actually take them to be donated.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3416 on: February 07, 2020, 01:31:00 PM »
This morning I mailed off a saddle I was very reluctant to sell.  The new owner gets a one-week trial, so it could come back, but we'll see.  It doesn't fit my horses and is made for much more aggressive galloping and jumping than I will ever do, so it needed to go, but I loved it!

This weekend I need to do a sweep through my closet and see if I can add anything to the small pile of Clothes I Don't Love, then donate them, along with some old dishes.

NotJen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3417 on: February 07, 2020, 02:45:55 PM »
Goal for tomorrow is to actually take them to be donated.

Did it!  2 bags of clothes and half a bag of shoes/purses that I collected during a closet clean-out Thanksgiving weekend 2018.  Plus a bag of more recently collected random home things.

I've already set out my next donation bag so that I can add to it as I continue to clear things out.

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #3418 on: February 07, 2020, 04:25:22 PM »
I have too many cups / mugs. They don't fit in the cupboard in the new place. It's so hard to throw out functional things. Some are too scratched inside for rehoming. The worst most scratched I guess will just go in the bin. We've had moments in the past where we've gone through loads but now we have a double dishdrawer so there's always a clean one.

slackmax

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3419 on: February 07, 2020, 06:01:11 PM »
I have so many pots, pans, baking dishes, etc in the drawer under my stove that the drawer got stuck today! Scary. But I jostled it and it opened. To make more room, I zeroed in on an small old pot that had burned black on the inside bottom. White porcelain(?) otherwise. Tossed it into the big metal recycling bin.

Also took one big bag of clothes to Salvation Army, and one big bag of ripped, worn out clothes to the textile recycling bin.

Gave away a hard back copy of a Harry Potter book to a lady at the senior center, which she appreciated.   

oneday

• Magnum Stache
  • Knit, bike, breathe. Repeat. - 94
« Reply #3420 on: February 07, 2020, 06:06:06 PM »
@Goldielocks I do a variation.  Sometimes lately I don't have anything outgoing, but when I do, I grab a box or a bag to hold the things.  When the container is full I take them to the donation center.  I keep the container in a somewhat handy but mostly out of the way place in the mean time.

Today I donated 8 scarves & a pair of fingerless gloves.  They were intended for a charity that distributes them in December, but my contact fell off the face of the planet.  I'm happy to have found an alternate charity!

iamthepinky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3421 on: February 08, 2020, 02:51:27 PM »
last weekend i finally tackled my massive pile of clean, unfolded laundry *and* did all of my dirty laundry, folded it, and put it all away. I got rid of a few garments but this was just a win to get rid of a major nuisance.

this week, I ordered some mason jars of varying sizes and completely revamped the food-containing shelves of my pantry (there's still one non-food shelf that I haven't touched). I put all of my unopened animal-based foods into a bag for donation (went vegan several months ago). Got rid of a bunch of empty coffee cans I was saving for storing something because they looked cool. But years had gone by without using them, so...off they went to the recycling. Also moved some tools to their appropriate home (they were misshelved).

The end result is amazing. Clean, organized, and spacious instead of cluttered. Huge diffference. Glad to learn that the only thing I overbought due to previous clutter was a can of cornstarch.

NotJen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3422 on: February 08, 2020, 07:31:56 PM »
I finished purging and reorganizing the computer room!  I still have a table full of things to put up on eBay (or throw in the donation bag), but I'm slowly adding them (I'm up against the 50 free listings limit, so I have to be strategic about it).

I started posting some larger items on Facebook Marketplace.  Wow.  I listed 4 things so far, and I'm going to possibly get rid of 3 of them tomorrow.  I hope every shows/pays!

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3423 on: February 08, 2020, 10:35:48 PM »
We sold a car.   
Feels great even though we ended up selling it about 10% less than I think we could have gotten, but private sales in winter are not the best way to go, and I won't need to reinsure it next month.

Sun Hat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3424 on: February 09, 2020, 07:04:39 AM »
We sold a car.   
Feels great even though we ended up selling it about 10% less than I think we could have gotten, but private sales in winter are not the best way to go, and I won't need to reinsure it next month.

Congratulations @Goldielocks for selling now rather than wait until spring to try to get a better price. The temptation to let things build up in anticipation of an ideal future is how we get buried in junk. You're free of the car, don't have to pay the insurance and can enjoy the relief of having it dealt with!

My decluttering got an unexpected boost in the form of a huge new dog who likes to jump on tables and chew on everything. I've cleared all of my tabletops, organized my basement tools, corralled my computer and AV cables, and am keeping my kitchen counters clearer than ever! It's like having a really cute live-in junk auditor who destroys excess. Although I'm happy for Goldielocks for getting rid of her car now, I've kept my table lamps in a basement cupboard in the faint hope that I'll be able to train my dog out of jumping on end tables.

Sibley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3425 on: February 09, 2020, 01:24:26 PM »

My decluttering got an unexpected boost in the form of a huge new dog who likes to jump on tables and chew on everything. I've cleared all of my tabletops, organized my basement tools, corralled my computer and AV cables, and am keeping my kitchen counters clearer than ever! It's like having a really cute live-in junk auditor who destroys excess. Although I'm happy for Goldielocks for getting rid of her car now, I've kept my table lamps in a basement cupboard in the faint hope that I'll be able to train my dog out of jumping on end tables.

Yeah, I think I'll be doing some of that later. New kitty Jill has given some indications that she likes to watch things fall. We will see, she's not comfortable enough yet for these types of behaviors to come out.

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3426 on: February 09, 2020, 02:04:16 PM »
Sent two mattresses for recycling. One was replaced but the other was from the spare room and we are no longer keeping a spare bed made up. I'm so pleased as it was such a waste of space, people so rarely stay and if they do it's usually just a someone passing through and we can borrow a fold out. We can keep less linen now too. I don't have to declutter any because it's wearing out on its own all of a sudden.

Tonight we put out our bulky rubbish for collection. Just need to make sure we don't forget anything!  And also put it out late enough so our neighbours don't start dumping stuff, we are only allowed 3 cubic metres and there are strict rules about what can go. We have been left to deal with other people's rubbish before!

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3427 on: February 09, 2020, 04:54:27 PM »
Got rid of half the stuff in my office closet and a ton of big serving dishes. I filled my small car.

Frugal Lizard

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3428 on: February 09, 2020, 06:22:53 PM »
I keep finding odd papers when I am looking for something else and bam - into the recycling. 
I am also using up a lot of watercolour paper -using the back of paintings I am no longer attached to do back to basics exercises.
I used some left over materials to make up a seedling starting table.  And pitched the remainder. 

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Bristles
« Reply #3429 on: February 10, 2020, 08:57:39 AM »
Just listed all my unopened (!!!) exercise dvds on Ebay. Any that don't sell will go right to the local library book sale. Clear clutter and get a little money back in the pocket.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3430 on: February 10, 2020, 02:36:02 PM »
Thursday I finally did more work in my home office.  It was nice because DH wasn't home, so there were no interruptions, making a huge difference!  I filed a stack of paper, tossed a few things, put a box of Crayons and colored pencils into the donate box, and relocated several items.  I stashed trinkets and whatnot's into a small box until I decide what to do with them all.  (Magnets, other travel souvenirs, etc.)  The inside of my roll top desk is now cleared off, and the interior cubbies contain purposeful items.  The top drawer now contains only office supply related items.  I straightened up the bookshelves inside the closet, and hung a few more items including a small mirror.  I'll see if my friend who owns a skate shop wants the unused novelty buttons I never wore. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 02:15:50 PM by MountainGal »

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3431 on: February 10, 2020, 08:20:01 PM »
Going through the sewing/project/alteration pile and actually fixing or doing said alteration.

slackmax

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3432 on: February 13, 2020, 08:19:13 AM »
Got rid of half the stuff in my office closet and a ton of big serving dishes. I filled my small car.

I'm going to add the small stack of saucers that has been sitting under my kitchen table for a year, to the next donation bag I take over to Salvation Army. I should add some other dishes from the cupboards too. Way too many for one house, lol. 

NotJen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3433 on: February 13, 2020, 08:51:18 AM »
Successfully sold 5 things on FB Marketplace and made $140!

These all came from my guest room - either were stored in the closet or were furnishing the room.  I havenít had a guest in 9 years (and donít intend to have a guest room in the future), so everything but the bed is targeted to go!  The larger furniture went fast, and now I just hope someone will be interested in the smaller things.

SunnyDays

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3434 on: February 13, 2020, 10:39:23 AM »

At first, I thought you said you got rid of half the stuff in your closet, as in clothes.  That would really be impressive!  (Not that your declutter wasn't.)

Some fashion guy on TV once said "Get rid of half the clothes in your closet and you'll look twice as stylish."  Assuming you get rid of the rattier half, lol.

oneday

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3435 on: February 13, 2020, 01:31:43 PM »
Today I donated 8 scarves & a pair of fingerless gloves.  They were intended for a charity that distributes them in December, but my contact fell off the face of the planet.  I'm happy to have found an alternate charity!

I'm on a roll.  Was able to store a small TV I use as a second computer monitor in the bookshelf where the scarves had lived, so it's no longer blocking up my dresser top!

And then yesterday I finally made it to the charity shop to donate another bag of miscellany.

And then yesterday, room mate gave me an organizer for our shared hobby, which was delightful and I proceeded to fill with hobby tools.  But then that left the organizer I was supposedly going to make empty.  It wasn't actually an organizer, just a pile of parts to make an organizer.  Some was trashed, some was repurposed, but one piece is slated for donation.  I will offer it at a group meeting of hobby friends tomorrow.

@Goldielocks this is the real reason I keep a perpetual box for the outgoing items.  As soon as I donate one batch, another one starts acumulating.  I sometimes feel like I am just churning stuff rather than decluttering. 🤦‍♀️  I'd like to be done one day...

Prairie Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3436 on: February 14, 2020, 06:33:07 AM »
My plan is to get new flooring in my house this summer, so everything will need to be up off the floor in order for that to happen. I might as well get a head start. We have a long weekend this weekend, so one of my projects is to declutter the walk in closet in my bedroom. I know there is a lot of stuff in there that can go. Posting here for accountability.

Frugal Lizard

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3437 on: February 14, 2020, 06:57:28 AM »

At first, I thought you said you got rid of half the stuff in your closet, as in clothes.  That would really be impressive!  (Not that your declutter wasn't.)

Some fashion guy on TV once said "Get rid of half the clothes in your closet and you'll look twice as stylish."  Assuming you get rid of the rattier half, lol.
.....heeeheee type giggles......

okcisok

• Bristles
« Reply #3438 on: February 14, 2020, 11:09:18 PM »
Got rid of a cake icing bag and parts that was cheap and flimsy. I rarely..ok, never decorate cookies anymore anyway.
A pair of too-large gloves that are brand-new.

oneday

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3439 on: February 15, 2020, 11:51:36 AM »
Gave the hobby item to a hobby friend. Yay, no perpetual donation box (at the moment)! 🥳

Prairie Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3440 on: February 16, 2020, 07:44:32 AM »
My plan is to get new flooring in my house this summer, so everything will need to be up off the floor in order for that to happen. I might as well get a head start. We have a long weekend this weekend, so one of my projects is to declutter the walk in closet in my bedroom. I know there is a lot of stuff in there that can go. Posting here for accountability.

Update: One large bin of "wishful thinking" pants has been transferred to the car for donation. One bookshelf gone through, about half the books donated, the rest boxed up and taken down to the basement for now, until the flooring project is done. Bookshelf folded down and stored in another room. Miscellaneous donation box started and is about half full.

Hopefully I can finish this project today so that I can do some fun stuff tomorrow.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3441 on: February 16, 2020, 03:24:28 PM »
Sunny, when I retired I did get rid of half of my clothes 8 years ago.

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3442 on: February 16, 2020, 08:21:29 PM »
Assuming he turns up - I have agreed to sell a table base to a guy for $80 today. It was a re-furb project I never got round to and I got it for free originally, so what a score.

mspym

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3443 on: February 16, 2020, 09:46:42 PM »
Assuming he turns up - I have agreed to sell a table base to a guy for $80 today. It was a re-furb project I never got round to and I got it for free originally, so what a score.
Sa-weeeeeet!

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3444 on: February 16, 2020, 11:01:55 PM »
Sa-weeeeeet!

He's not here yet....

Broke a glass today, and it was even one of the older ones.

mspym

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3445 on: February 16, 2020, 11:06:39 PM »
One of our amber glass plates had an edge peel away, promising shattered pyrex next time it went through the dishwasher so out that goes.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3446 on: February 17, 2020, 01:21:42 AM »
We let our son sell our 20 year old universal gym and keep the proceeds. He made $200! It needed to go and was just taking up space and collecting dust in the garage.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3447 on: February 17, 2020, 01:24:36 PM »
$200!  Score.  On trash day, I literally see several of these every week.  If I had a trailer all the time, I could open a store with these things.

slackmax

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3448 on: February 22, 2020, 09:20:32 AM »
Finally getting rid of those 3 cans of Avon SLimwell Milkshake powder, just cuz they are so old, and therefore questionable.

Shame, really, but they are now in the kitchen garbage bag. Just a matter of taking  it to the curb. Sad, but I'll get over it, ha ha.       

SunnyDays

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3449 on: February 22, 2020, 10:00:06 AM »
Finally getting rid of those 3 cans of Avon SLimwell Milkshake powder, just cuz they are so old, and therefore questionable.

Shame, really, but they are now in the kitchen garbage bag. Just a matter of taking  it to the curb. Sad, but I'll get over it, ha ha.       

Yay!  I knew you could do it!