Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1249141 times)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #4150 on: October 09, 2020, 11:22:34 PM »
Four horse blankets will be sold tomorrow.  I dragged my feet and finally listed them on a local FB page.  They were snapped up within the hour.  I will be buying one replacement blanket in another size, but that is three down, overall.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4151 on: October 10, 2020, 03:48:59 PM »
A few bags of books and a box of miscellaneous bric a brac went to donations this week. I threw out a pair of sox with multiple holes beyond darning. I went though the TV console and recycled a pile of old magazines.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4152 on: October 10, 2020, 04:20:42 PM »
Put plastic down and shovelled the rocks back in around the air conditioner. The remainder of the rock pile can go bye bye. So, I took pictures of the rock pile, the dirt pile, the extra drywall, the extra door panel. Going to put it all up as free, come get it.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4153 on: October 11, 2020, 08:03:40 AM »
-Listed two more items on the Buy Nothing site, and have someone coming today to pick up one the 14 Hot Pockets that my husband bought at Costco. I have no idea why he would buy them (he eats Costco, I'm not a fan). I think the kids must have tried a sample? I can't even get the teen boys to eat them. I'm so happy to have someone actually want to pick them up. Frozen foods are impossible to "donate", so this is a good alternative. Now I won't force myself to eat them.
-My husband is going to continue putting shelves in the "closet of doom" today. When that's done, I can start putting things back & properly arranging. Fingers crossed, because the items that normally go there are spread throughout our house.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4154 on: October 11, 2020, 01:51:21 PM »
- Someone is finally coming by to pick up the air con unit that we have been storing in our basement for 6 months now. I mean, we have plenty of space down there but it's just one less thigg to keep track of.
- Next up is working out what to do with some manga. Maybe I start putting it up on gumtree and see if there are any nibbles.
- I bought a bag at the Vinnies and realised after I left the shop that I should have given them the bag I was using at the same time. Now I need to donate or sell that one.

We are looking at moving to the mountains in 3 years or so and then after that change countries and now I am looking at everything I own through the lens of "can I be bothered packing this, twice?"

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4155 on: October 13, 2020, 11:43:20 AM »
I listed that table-top ironing board Sunday afternoon, and it was picked up yesterday!  Made a whole $5, but worth it since it's gone!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4156 on: October 13, 2020, 11:47:24 AM »
@NotJen - I find that even a very low price creates accountability for people to come & pick up the item. Once it's listed as free, I have much less success getting people to reply.

I went through all of my eBay postal receipts (they print on the bottom half of the postage). They are now organized & ready for scrap paper usage, as I've never had the need to refer back to one. Ever.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4157 on: October 13, 2020, 01:32:18 PM »
One more book out of the house - Ofpym finally finished reading it so it went back to the street library from whence it came.

My brain is starting to consider selling things on Gumtree - I don't know if I want to get a FB acct again just for marketplace / buy nothing

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4158 on: October 13, 2020, 02:38:53 PM »
Hope you're feeling better, @LinneaH.

Lately:
Long story short, but my grandmother's china was finally mailed to my sister for us to share.  We each received 6 sets of plates, salad plates, saucers, bowls, etc.  It is beautiful.  This meant I cleared out the two shelves I originally had 3+ years ago.  A few things were relocated, several things tossed, and a set of 15+ year old cereal sized bowls from Target will go into the donation pile.  They have served us well, and have no chips on them.

Yesterday a bag of toiletries, a few beverages, and non-perishable snacks was given to a person in need. <3

I started decorating for Halloween and noticed there are several things way past their prime.  I'll be sure and toss them instead of storing them for yet another year.

Cleared out another billion dust mites from the basement in preparation for our annual Halloween party.  I am using things leftover from previous years such as paper products, gift wrap for costume contest and other game prizes, etc.

Two magazines will be upcycled to my sister this evening.

Oh, and I've decluttered about 15 pounds so far this year.  :)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 02:41:53 PM by MountainGal »

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4159 on: October 13, 2020, 03:58:14 PM »
@MountainGal - that last one is super impressive! Big congrats.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4160 on: October 13, 2020, 08:55:43 PM »
Finally put my piggy bank from college in the donate pile. My mom got it for me when I was waiting tables and had a lot of coins. I'd periodically cash it out and feel rich for a bit :) About a year ago I took KonMari's advice to put coins in your wallet and *use* them instead of hanging on to them. Plus, I haven't waited tables or gotten paid in cash for years, so no more need for a coin collector on my shelf.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4161 on: October 14, 2020, 05:44:26 AM »
Well, this was kind of bitter sweet. Since this pandemic, I have not been going to cash in my deposit soda cans/bottles. Now our local store limits the amount you can bring in and they limit the amount of people in the room where you use the machines that crush the cans. You have to wait and wait to get into the room to use the machines. So our pile has grown and grown to the point of insanity. We had 13 garbage bags worth. I always loved cashing in the bottles and saving the money for my 'retirement'. However, I am leery of exposing myself to too much time where I might catch the virus. So, in our town there is a guy who collects cans and uses the money to help people with fuel oil to heat their houses and uses the money for other charitable reasons. He really does many nice things. So we called him and he picked up our giant pile of cans and that cleared up a large area that they had been taking up. So glad they are gone!

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4162 on: October 14, 2020, 06:04:49 AM »
Congratulations on finding a win/win solution to your can problem.  I find it's one of the big advantages to being settled in one place that one knows about these sorts of local solutions.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4163 on: October 14, 2020, 06:19:57 AM »
Congratulations on finding a win/win solution to your can problem.  I find it's one of the big advantages to being settled in one place that one knows about these sorts of local solutions.

Yes, good to find a solution. This virus isn't going away any time soon so there is no way I would be able to cash in the cans in a reasonable time frame. Maybe if I am diligent I can take a small bag of cans when I go to the store now and then but not let them build up again!

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #4164 on: October 14, 2020, 08:04:42 AM »
I keep breaking stuff to the point where it is no longer repairable.  And most of it does not need to be replaced.  So I break it up further and separate the recyclable from the garbage and off it goes. 

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4165 on: October 14, 2020, 10:43:53 AM »
Glad you found a solution, @Roadrunner53, but that's a lot of soda.  Maybe you should cut down?  Also, you can just step on the cans to crush them - no need for a fancy gizmo.  If you do it as soon as you finish the can, you can keep up.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4166 on: October 14, 2020, 10:49:27 AM »
I love it, Roadrunner! My parents are doing something similar -- they have a bunch of cans because they haven't returned any since the pandemic started. They're donating them to a local hospice that takes can donations.

ETA: Sunnydays, if you crush the cans you usually can't get the money back (the machines have to scan the barcode and they can't do that on a crushed can). So, they definitely take up a lot of space before you can bring them back!

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4167 on: October 14, 2020, 12:38:06 PM »
Glad you found a solution, @Roadrunner53, but that's a lot of soda.  Maybe you should cut down?  Also, you can just step on the cans to crush them - no need for a fancy gizmo.  If you do it as soon as you finish the can, you can keep up.

I have not returned cans since around February. I only drink one can of diet cola a day. There were some seltzer and tonic bottles too. My husband drinks a lot of bottled water so that is part of it too.

Yes, as diapasoun said, the cans must be in normal condition to go thru the recycle machines to read the bar code. If it can't read the bar code, it rejects it.

During the summer months there are other youth groups that collect cans too to help with their organizations.

Please don't throw out your cans. The money can help so many different organizations. Also, I see homeless people searching the trash cans in parks to find cans to cash in. I am sure soup kitchens might take them too. Years ago my Mom worked with this woman who was a single mother. She really had hard times and we all donated our cans to her for extra money. She was very grateful.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 10:02:03 AM by Roadrunner53 »

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4168 on: October 14, 2020, 12:44:29 PM »
Note for any who are confused about the can discussion: in the US, some states allow for a cash refund if you turn in empty cans/bottles for recycling. Not all states do this however.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4169 on: October 14, 2020, 12:55:41 PM »
Yes, my state charges 5 cent deposit on each beverage can or bottle. To get your money back you have to go to a grocery store typically and insert each can or bottle one at a time. The machine scans the bar code and adds up the amount of money you will get refunded. Usually you have to go inside the store to get the money. It is a pain in the butt for sure. There should be a faster way. The machines are fussy, fill up and an attendant has to come out and put in an empty box and take out the full one. They get jammed up and the older they get they are a nightmare. They need constant attention. Then on top of that, yellow jackets are drawn to the aroma of the cans. Even when they are rinsed out they still have a bit of a smell.

Jim Fiction

• Stubble
« Reply #4170 on: October 14, 2020, 01:28:20 PM »
Yes, my state charges 5 cent deposit on each beverage can or bottle. To get your money back you have to go to a grocery store typically and insert each can or bottle one at a time. The machine scans the bar code and adds up the amount of money you will get refunded. Usually you have to go inside the store to get the money. It is a pain in the butt for sure. There should be a faster way. The machines are fussy, fill up and an attendant has to come out and put in an empty box and take out the full one. They get jammed up and the older they get they are a nightmare. They need constant attention. Then on top of that, yellow jackets are drawn to the aroma of the cans. Even when they are rinsed out they still have a bit of a smell.

I believe you are in CT, no? I'm in CT and for beer cans/bottles, many package stores allow you to drop off your empties and just tell them how many. No machines necessary. When I used to live with my folks they used a redemption center for all of their soda cans and bottles, where you would go in and as long as everything was pre-sorted you could dump them on these large sorting platforms (a different platform for plastics, glass and cans) and the workers would count them for you. I'm sure there are others like it around (unsure which part of the state you live). Below is a list maintained by the state, though no indication of whether or not they are machine-based:

https://portal.ct.gov/DEEP/Reduce-Reuse-Recycle/Bottles/Connecticut-Redemption-Centers

When the pandemic started and redemption centers were closed, we started to put our seltzer cans and bottles in clear plastic bags and leave them out by the street (we live in a city), and they're snatched up almost immediately. Despite redemption centers opening we've continued the practice.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4171 on: October 14, 2020, 01:47:58 PM »
Thank you, @MaybeBabyMustache!

@Roadrunner53, in the future, can you crush the cans at home via a booted foot?  That's what we used to do.  That way it would save time at the recycle center.  Glad to hear about the big-hearted local guy and his service to the community! :)

ETA:  Disregard my crush suggestion.  I didn't know that they had to be in good condition.  In our area, they reimburse via weight, not scan.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 01:50:15 PM by MountainGal »

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4172 on: October 14, 2020, 02:30:24 PM »
Wish they were by weight. It would be so much easier. Yes, I am in CT but no place I know takes bags of cans and bottles. Maybe if you buy a case of beer from a liquor store they will take it. Most places don't have the ability to take in tons of cans due to space issues.

https://portal.ct.gov/DEEP/Reduce-Reuse-Recycle/Bottles/Connecticut-Redemption-Centers

Jim Fiction, These centers are way far away from where I live. But thanks for the link. Good idea on the clear bags too.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #4173 on: October 14, 2020, 09:08:55 PM »
@Roadrunner53 what a wonderful contribution you have made to your community!

Two skeins of yarn out of the house today! Tomorrow I shall mail off 2.5 more skeins. There are an additional 2 skeins listed for sale; hoping to have a buyer soon!

Those other two skeins are still here and the selling site allows re-listing once a week. It's been longer than that, so I've re-listed. This prompted me to re-list a Craigslist item as well. So maybe this week something will sell!

Maintenance-related decluttering: biked to the library to pick up my books, but forgot to bring the returns. Opted to make a second trip on the bike to turn in the finished books. I could have easily just kept them around, but have been looking for something to get rid of, lol.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4174 on: October 15, 2020, 09:03:47 AM »
@NotJen - I find that even a very low price creates accountability for people to come & pick up the item. Once it's listed as free, I have much less success getting people to reply.

That makes sense - sounds like my plan to just donate any unsold items will work best.

This morning I cleared out my glassware cabinet and found a bunch of things to sell.  I skipped over it before because I didn't want to bother with glassware on eBay (not worth the shipping cost and worry about breakage), but I'm hoping some of it will sell on FB.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4175 on: October 15, 2020, 10:28:21 AM »
-Sold a pair of my teen's futsal cleats today & have them packaged & ready for pickup tomorrow.
-Need to go through the kids socks. Laundry is telling me we have a ton with holes.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4176 on: October 15, 2020, 03:21:32 PM »
Those other two skeins are still here and the selling site allows re-listing once a week. It's been longer than that, so I've re-listed. This prompted me to re-list a Craigslist item as well. So maybe this week something will sell!

The Craigslist item is gone! And the person was a pleasure to deal with.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #4177 on: October 15, 2020, 10:52:45 PM »
I think this counts: We've had this coffee table that never really fit anywhere in the house we bought 10 years ago, so it has just been sitting in the (finished) basement, serving no real purpose. The basement has been my workspace during covid, putting the unused coffee table in my line of sight way more than before.  I got an idea a while back to take it off the base, cut it in half, and mount it on the wall under the TV.  Tonight I finally took action and it turned out really well. Previously I had the upper piece to a China hutch there, and I was able to repurpose that piece for shelving in the garage. Now I need to figure out something useful to do with the base pieces, but haven't come up with a super idea just yet.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4178 on: October 15, 2020, 11:54:24 PM »
Very creative, horsepoor!

I dropped off 3 more bags into the donation bin this morning.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4179 on: October 16, 2020, 12:03:19 AM »
Excellent creativity @horsepoor

Ours is a swings and roundabouts one - we're off to IKEA tomorrow to buy replacement end tables that are also shoe racks and a shoerack/hatstand combo that will clear out three distinct deadzone/clutterspots. The tables that we are replacing will go out into hard-rubbish, which is where they originally came from. Mostly I just want to solve the recurring floor storage problem, caused by having no clear and easily accessible place for shoes and bags to go by the entrance, which means they end up being scattered all over. The other IKEA purchase is some lidded containers to put into the chest freezer so it becomes more functional. 

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4180 on: October 16, 2020, 01:38:16 PM »
Haven't been selling stuff as easily at the flea market lately. I think its because  all the sellable clutter has been sold. I saw a nice little antiquey end table at the curb with a free sign on it yesterday. I had the idea that I 'ought to' take it with me to the flea market next time to have something nice to sell.

Thought better about it, and let someone else snap up that end table. One less thing for me to worry about, lol.   

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4181 on: October 16, 2020, 02:04:16 PM »
I found a place that does textile recycling, so I was able to recycle a bag full of clothes that had stains or were otherwise un-donatable, and also a cat scratched couch cover.

I did another round of Buy Nothing giveaways, and will do one more this weekend.

I also listed a round of books on Paperback Swap, which is a pretty awesome service.  You send out books and that gets you credits to redeem for books listed on the site.  You pay postage when you send (media mail) and the sender pays it when you receive.  I have a referral link if anyone is interested.  90% of the books I have listed were on someone's wish list, and it feels great to send stuff out to people who are looking for that item.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4182 on: October 16, 2020, 02:26:40 PM »
Haven't been selling stuff as easily at the flea market lately. I think its because  all the sellable clutter has been sold. I saw a nice little antiquey end table at the curb with a free sign on it yesterday. I had the idea that I 'ought to' take it with me to the flea market next time to have something nice to sell.

Thought better about it, and let someone else snap up that end table. One less thing for me to worry about, lol.   

Well done avoiding that urge!

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #4183 on: October 16, 2020, 02:59:00 PM »

That's a great choice 👍

You all are doing great! I love you to read your updates.

I wish I had more time and energy to write. It is now Friday evening where I am, and I'm in bed. Monday is my moving day. I am a mix between fully stressed out and believing I am OK. Kids are with me until noon tomorrow and we will pull out the last carrots and leeks. It's a good way to say goodbye.
After that it's full speed again. Sunday I have my sister over. She's the best, very organized and very helpful. A lot is already packed.

ExH has some small stuff to pick up tomorrow. He also has a couple of bulkier items. NOT my circus, not my monkeys... I need to stay strong on this.

I think my main scare is that I will completly forget to do something I need to do, but honestly it will be OK. It really will.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4184 on: October 16, 2020, 03:12:50 PM »
Yes, it will be ok. You are a strong, resourceful woman who can handle it.

malachite

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • It's always something...
« Reply #4185 on: October 16, 2020, 04:01:16 PM »
This thread was just the kick I needed to start cleaning up my own clutter.  This week's effort was pretty low-hanging fruit.

In college I never resold any of my textbooks because as bad as paying $100+/book was, I refused to pay 80% of that to effectively 'rent' them for a semester before selling them back. (Evidently I had not yet learned about sunk cost fallacies.) The net result, 15 years later I still had EVERY SINGLE BOOK sitting in a corner of my crawlspace.

There are 5-10 that I have actually used in the intervening years.  These I kept, but the rest are now either on there way to the the library booksale or the recyclers (or potentially the recyclers via the library booksale:). 

Also: @horsepoor, that table idea is genius.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4186 on: October 16, 2020, 04:55:40 PM »
Dropped off an armload of books to a Little Library on my way to work. This one is usually pretty empty. My pile filled it to about halfway!

Mailed another finished book to a friend, reusing an Amazon mailer, reusing ribbon, and tucking in a card I made from cardboard scraps, a soap wrapper, and the front of another card I cut up. I tucked in a teabag for a little self-care package. I used stamps I was given, so the whole thing only cost the price of the book that I originally bought for myself.

Mailed a little package of craft materials to SO's daughter who enjoys getting mail and crafting.

Had to run an errand near the grocery store, but didn't need groceries. Took a bag of recyclable plastic bags to their drop off while I was nearby.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4187 on: October 16, 2020, 09:14:20 PM »
Previous post was from yesterday and got hung up somehow.

Today, finally dropped off two bags at Goodwill that have been in the trunk for two weeks. Put some art supplies in the little library near by.

Got the recycling I bring home from work straight into the bin, no stopovers in the garage. The bags get emptied into the bin and put right back in the car to return to work to be filled again.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4188 on: October 17, 2020, 04:05:32 AM »
This thread was just the kick I needed to start cleaning up my own clutter.  This week's effort was pretty low-hanging fruit.

In college I never resold any of my textbooks because as bad as paying $100+/book was, I refused to pay 80% of that to effectively 'rent' them for a semester before selling them back. (Evidently I had not yet learned about sunk cost fallacies.) The net result, 15 years later I still had EVERY SINGLE BOOK sitting in a corner of my crawlspace.

There are 5-10 that I have actually used in the intervening years.  These I kept, but the rest are now either on there way to the the library booksale or the recyclers (or potentially the recyclers via the library booksale:). 

This might be too late to mention about the books, but there are sellers on Etsy that make womens 'purses' out of book covers. One time I ran across this person doing that and noticed a particular book that I thought was interesting as a purse. I just so happened months later to go to buy some stuff from a Craigslist person and she had a whole set of these books. It was a whole series of adventure books. I had kind of forgotten about the Etsy purse at that point. I had some other intention for the books but after a while, it just didn't pan out so now I was stuck with a whole collection of these old books. My wheels got spinning and I decided to contact the person on Etsy to see if they might be interested in buying the books to make more purses. She had me take some picture and we haggled just a little. She bought all of them for maybe $25 (about 15 books). I had picked up the whole box for about $3. Win, win, win! Made money, got rid of clutter, buyer happy!

This is not the seller I sold to but here is an example of what I am talking about: https://www.etsy.com/listing/62680810/grays-anatomy-book-purse-medical-field?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=purse+book&ref=sr_gallery-1-17&organic_search_click=1&cns=1&variation1=566744613

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4189 on: October 17, 2020, 04:55:42 AM »
As knock on from replacing the not very functional furniture today, we put out two end tables and a shelf into hard rubbish (oak shelves already taken) along with a box of wine and whisky glasses since I don't drink anymore, a pile of cds, and a couple of backpacks.

I also used a piece of cotton duck cloth and two bulldog clips from a junk drawer to block the sun that was bleaching our coats. Corners are starting to get clearer.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4190 on: October 17, 2020, 07:18:52 AM »

This might be too late to mention about the books, but there are sellers on Etsy that make womens 'purses' out of book covers. One time I ran across this person doing that and noticed a particular book that I thought was interesting as a purse. I just so happened months later to go to buy some stuff from a Craigslist person and she had a whole set of these books. It was a whole series of adventure books. I had kind of forgotten about the Etsy purse at that point. I had some other intention for the books but after a while, it just didn't pan out so now I was stuck with a whole collection of these old books. My wheels got spinning and I decided to contact the person on Etsy to see if they might be interested in buying the books to make more purses. She had me take some picture and we haggled just a little. She bought all of them for maybe $25 (about 15 books). I had picked up the whole box for about $3. Win, win, win! Made money, got rid of clutter, buyer happy!

This is not the seller I sold to but here is an example of what I am talking about: https://www.etsy.com/listing/62680810/grays-anatomy-book-purse-medical-field?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=purse+book&ref=sr_gallery-1-17&organic_search_click=1&cns=1&variation1=566744613

I held onto a bunch of old textbooks and technical manuals, but I just checked, and they are all either soft cover books, or 3 ring binders full of many pages. I would think the purses makers are using hardback books, no?   

Once in a while I make myself dump the contents of a 3-ring binder full of technical lingo into the recycling bin.  But I keep the rest, hoping for some market for this stuff to appear, lol. 

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4191 on: October 17, 2020, 01:37:52 PM »
I have about 8 things listed on Marketplace and 4 on Craigslist, so we shall see if anyone bites. 

I've been doing better about not buying toiletries lately.  Or clothes.  Now that I've removed my card from Amazon I'm really not buying much at all. 

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4192 on: October 17, 2020, 04:50:03 PM »

I held onto a bunch of old textbooks and technical manuals, but I just checked, and they are all either soft cover books, or 3 ring binders full of many pages. I would think the purses makers are using hardback books, no?   

Once in a while I make myself dump the contents of a 3-ring binder full of technical lingo into the recycling bin.  But I keep the rest, hoping for some market for this stuff to appear, lol.

Depending on the topic, old textbooks are pretty much useless. Accounting? Nope. Standards have changed. Sciences? Depends, but a lot of those get outdated. Law? The intro ones might be ok, but otherwise they're expensive paperweights. A good indication is if you can sell it back to one of the textbook websites. If they won't take it, recycle.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4193 on: October 17, 2020, 05:00:45 PM »
Lots of progress this weekend:
-Cleaned kids socks & underwear drawers - plenty to toss, & a few things to donate
-Went through our Halloween tub. Set out outgrown costumes with a free sign, saved a few things to sell
-Found three unopened items in the dressers (games, shin guard sleeves, etc) to sell or donate

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4194 on: October 18, 2020, 09:00:34 AM »
I have about 8 things listed on Marketplace and 4 on Craigslist, so we shall see if anyone bites. 

I've been doing better about not buying toiletries lately.  Or clothes.  Now that I've removed my card from Amazon I'm really not buying much at all.
[/b]

That's the best kind of decluttering - impressive!

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4195 on: October 18, 2020, 01:41:24 PM »
So, during the pandemic I found a FB group that focuses on the exact kind of decor style that I love. Good news/bad news is that it did lift my spirits and inspire me to do some things around my house, but it also inspired me to buy a bunch of stuff that I didn't really need. I don't 100% regret it, because I really did need a creative outlet during those dark days, but now I have to buckle down and start getting rid of stuff again. The minimum of one item/day has worked well for me in the past, so I think I will start with that. Today I put a pile of books that I was trying to sell into the give away box. To make it really count I will find one more book to go along with it.

Two steps forward and one step back. Story of my life.

I did pass on a few things to my son when he got his own place this summer, but most of it was his anyway.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4196 on: October 18, 2020, 04:09:56 PM »
SO and I decided to go a different way on some holiday gift items, so I immediately took the ones I'd already purchased back to the store for a refund. I still had my receipt and got full price back. One of the items wasn't with me at the time, so I will still need to make time to take it back. Posting here to make myself accountable.

Took a bag of recyclable plastic packaging with me and dropped it off on my way in. Did not even go to the store proper--recycling bins, customer service, then out.

Unpacked bins of winter clothing and found a couple of times I was iffy about last year to put in the donate pile. Crazy how I always seem to have one, even a few days after I drop off a load.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4197 on: October 18, 2020, 04:21:23 PM »
-Went through our Halloween tub, and found a bunch of too small costumes. Put a free box out on our driveway, so hopefully neighbors can find something for their kids.
-Found a few costumes to try & sell

Now, we'll have just a few favorite decor items to keep for future holidays.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #4198 on: October 19, 2020, 09:04:16 AM »
Old office chair with broken wheel that I have tried to fix three times unsuccessfully - now gone.  Only last three minutes on the sidewalk.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4199 on: October 19, 2020, 11:00:01 AM »
I work from my 14 year old's room during the day, so his room gets decluttered often during calls when I"m just listening it. For today, found two shirts to donate or sell, and that organized all content in his dresser. That won't last (he's not exactly tidy while selecting an outfit), but all is well organized & it's easy to see what he has, which is a win.

Listed another item on eBay, sold a jacket I've never worn (out on the porch, waiting for mail person). Another package of 12 maps (picked up on a freebie table for resale) sold in a few days, & also packaged up, ready for the post person.