Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1249139 times)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #600 on: April 30, 2018, 10:00:54 AM »
Got rid of a pair of pants that I never wear. And, went through & helped the kids clean out some lingering Easter stuff that were from my parents. Wrappers discarded, and everything savable went into the Easter bag in the closet (plastic eggs, & the gift bags).

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #601 on: April 30, 2018, 10:18:47 AM »
For the last few years, I've had a fetish for a specific type of journal I could find in only one obscure place I was rarely in, so I stocked up. Last time, the pickings were slim, so I compromised on design. But I hate them! So yesterday I took them toward a free exchange at an event I happened to be going to anyway. Well, one didn't even make it to the table, someone was so excited to receive it :)    There was a huge coincidence around it for her. Yay! The second one was snagged almost as quickly as I put it down. People were so happy because while these weren't MY style, they were theirs.

I spent $28 on them, and am thrilled they are now placed with people who are excited about them. Not as ideal as giving via the thrift shop, but I'm happy they're out, and it did make for lovely conversations and connections.

I received a poster I also don't like but which is truly stunning, so I'll take that to the same place next week, unless I get to the thrift in the meantime.

Today a nice batch of shredding ++++ goes out to recycling :)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #602 on: April 30, 2018, 10:58:55 AM »
We just had a long weekend at our cabin. We bought a secondhand oven and induction stove to replace the very old and half broken stuff. On our way back home we could deliver the old oven and stove at a shop. Nice to be rid of all that before we came home.

shadesofgreen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #603 on: April 30, 2018, 12:09:04 PM »
I am so excited to use 1800GJ. I have a huge entertainment center that I am getting rid of along with a queen mattress and a few other things. I am single and there is no way I am getting these things out of my place without help and I don't want someone in my home responding to a CL ad.

It took 4 people to bring it in and I don't have that type of manpower anymore. I can't move the items out of my place due to it being a condo. And I live on the second floor with stairs as the only means to get things in or out. I am more than happy to pay them to get it gone.

This reminds me I need to do a few things than give em a call.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #604 on: April 30, 2018, 12:39:17 PM »
Way to go, shadesofgreen! Sometimes spending a bit of cash is SMART, and the whole point of money is to allow us to reach our goals, which may indeed be simplicity, freedom, space, etc.

(When I've helped other people declutter, most were mainstream spenders so they gave an easy yes when I asked them to pay for the truck to take stuff away. I got to enjoy the decluttering and the truck without having to spend a penny heh heh.)

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #605 on: April 30, 2018, 01:40:59 PM »
I'm constantly on a mission to de-clutter. So far this year I've gotten rid of a bunch of clothes. Did lots of yard cleanup, gave away stuff as well as threw out some stuff. Much of it was taken during the neighborhood cleanup. It's someone else's treasure now. We've been really trying to have less stuff. It's hard to truly decide what really makes you happy. It's not happy times when you have a bunch of stuff that needs to be dusted all the time.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #606 on: April 30, 2018, 01:47:56 PM »
Cleaned out the hall closet.

But what do I do with all the jackets and sweatshirts? I can't really donate them out of season...
I mean goodwill will take them, but I assume they will just go for fabric recyclers.  These are generally good clothes.

Should I mark them in a box for 'donate in winter'?  I have space for that in another room.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #607 on: April 30, 2018, 02:57:56 PM »
Some shops will take them off season and put them out in season. Also, people will look specifically for those if they are camping, travelling, tree planting, etc.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #608 on: April 30, 2018, 03:06:26 PM »
Used up the rest of two gift cards!! I forget how many it's been overall, but the last couple of months I really pushed through using them up. I believe those were the last of them, yay!! I hope people always give DS and I cash vs card from now on :)

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #609 on: May 01, 2018, 06:54:16 AM »
Spontaneously woke at 5am, got up, noticed seven very small items that always bug me a bit (memory, gifter, scent, etc) so I chucked em!

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #610 on: May 01, 2018, 02:57:25 PM »
I need to get back into de-cluttering mode, for a while I was making such good progress, now I'm just being a slug - looking at clutter, feeling irritated and defeated and a little sad that I spent money on things that I absolutely hate seeing right now. Ugh!

Maybe I could channel some jooni, I need a clutter intervention:) ..... A magic wand to make it all go away ...

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #611 on: May 01, 2018, 02:59:48 PM »
Maybe I could channel some jooni

Feel free :)
I get soooooooooooooooooo excited about this stuff.
I have wildly little stuff, so it's funny to people that have been to my place that I talk about decluttering.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #612 on: May 03, 2018, 02:44:15 AM »
Flea markets!
Here in Norway springtime is the time for flea markets, usually organized by school orchestra's. I found out that one of them even collects the goods at your house. So I took home a leftover moving box from my working place, where we are finished moving. I filled it with a bunch of leftover lamps. Added a complete course in Icelandic language that I haven't touched for years, and never completed for more than a couple of chapters. And added some Ikea things that you can put plastic bags in.
I couldn't convince DH to add his language course in Sami language. And the large frame that is in our garage. He thinks we should fill the frame with something. I think we don't have empty walls to hang it on and should get rid of it. It is also for sale on internet, but I haven't gotten any reactions.

Jim Fiction

• Stubble
« Reply #613 on: May 03, 2018, 02:16:25 PM »
Last weekend I rearranged our living room to better utilize the space. The layout flows so much better and the space is much more open. All it took was rotating our couches, moving the TV to an existing bookshelf and getting rid of a small TV stand (which we gave away). My wife was shocked at the difference.

Next project is paring down my record collection.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #614 on: May 04, 2018, 09:49:50 AM »
Planted the flowering, potted bulb someone had given me as a housewarming gift :)
No more "finished", unsightly pot + shoots hanging about the house.

(As a preemptive uncluttering move, did not buy a trowel or watering can. Used kitchen cooking spoon to dig, kitchen scissors to snip, kitchen mixing bowl to water.)

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #615 on: May 04, 2018, 07:10:03 PM »
Just back from our holiday in Hawaii, newly stocked up with the comfortable underwear and shoes that are so impossible & expensive to buy in Australia so time for me to go through and get rid of
- 4 bras that bring me out in hives (farewell $400 spent only last year on them)
- the Keen hiking sandals that everyone else can wear but which result in blisters ALL over my feet ($200)
- the Duckfeet work shoes that exacerbate my plantar fascitis (Anyone in Oz with size 37 feet who wants them?)
- all the ankle socks with dead elastic

Also going
- the heavy winter coat that it hasn't been cold enough for in 7 years and which has been too small for 3 years anyway
- the super cute Nancybird wallet that is just Slightly Too Big for my pockets but too small to hold my phone & count as a clutch
- Yet. More. Books.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #616 on: May 04, 2018, 07:40:14 PM »
Nice going, mspym! Good on you for not making yourself keep unneeded stuff just because you spent money on them relatively recently.

Today I took four things -three of them tiny- to a thrift. Just couldn't stand to have them kicking around anymore. Was feeling I "should" put them at a specific free table this weekend...only to return home to a message that no household stuff is to go on there from now to end of produce season. So, good I ditched them when and where I did!

DS told me a neighbour keeps asking him if I want this, that, or the other thing. DS keeps saying nope, I don't. Whew.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #617 on: May 04, 2018, 07:57:12 PM »
It's chuck out weekend on my street (bulky rubbish pick up)!! I've heaved a load of junk out to the street, including books and household stuff. If no-one takes the books I'll donate them but often people will have a browse while they walk the dog.

I've made a pile of stuff that DH will have to approve as it's his including many things he 'rescued' from previous cleanups, will see how that goes! I wonder if the neighbour up the street will recognise the thing I put out that they put out a year ago...

I'm going to have to accept that I won't get the car in the garage but my mission is to at least store the stuff properly. At the moment everything is just dumped in layers. Arg.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #618 on: May 05, 2018, 11:29:24 AM »
We have hazardous waste collection this weekend - 7 big cans and 2 little cans of paint, old CFLs, and 2 old CO detectors gone. 

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #619 on: May 05, 2018, 11:56:52 AM »
Spent two hours sorting through giant piles of mixed toys and toy pieces with my kids.  Want to give games and puzzles away to church tag sale, but of course everything is missing pieces so we can't declutter them until we manage to reunify the parts.  Getting closer though nothing is completed yet.

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #620 on: May 05, 2018, 04:22:05 PM »
I went through my son's winter clothes with him.  (Winter in Australia is coming up faster than I would like). We made do last year without buying new stuff so most of it was too small now.  5.5 pjs, 7 tracksuit pants, 5 long sleeve shirts, 5 jumpers, 2 vests and a dress shirt gone.  Some items from the too big bag in the cupboard have been relocated to his drawers for use this season.  He was sad to realise some things were too small. I'm proud of him for letting go.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #621 on: May 05, 2018, 07:27:55 PM »
We had to stop decluttering for spring yard work. I love reading everyone's stories though. So much I want to do but time is very limited. It'll still be there when we get to it. Wish DH could just take a week off and we could go through this whole place in one fell swoop. Probably not going to happen but I can dream, right?

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #622 on: May 05, 2018, 08:51:29 PM »
A new batch came in today -stuff I bought to replace the versions given to me that I didn't want, miscellany from a neighbour (ditto), plus general stuff wanted and shopped for (carpet stain remover per previous tenant). Got overwhelmed, sat in the sunshine in the back of my open car for 90 minutes, chilled until a vision of what was and wasn't working formed. Wrote and drew it out, came home and implemented. Newly unwanteds go to thrift within seven days, soil is scattered, etc.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #623 on: May 06, 2018, 11:36:36 AM »
We had to stop decluttering for spring yard work. I love reading everyone's stories though. So much I want to do but time is very limited. It'll still be there when we get to it. Wish DH could just take a week off and we could go through this whole place in one fell swoop. Probably not going to happen but I can dream, right?

Yesterday was yard work here too.  I decluttered a bunch of weeds from the garlic bed, a bunch of weeds from where the peas will go, and some other basic weed decluttering.  Decluttered the lawn of winter's dog poop. 

I also decluttered 9 cans of paint and two old CO monitors and a bunch of dead CFLs.  Things are coming along.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #624 on: May 06, 2018, 12:16:33 PM »
Went through my one basket of odds and ends (batteries, picture hangers, foldback clips, etc). Reorganized all (like with like into ziploc sandwich bags), resulted in a small pile of bits and pieces I could let go of.

Almost said to a neighbour, "What I could really use is that empty box of yours...to take all the stuff you're giving me to the thrift." It wasn't meant to be jerky, so I'm glad I realized in time that it sure would have been, had I gotten as far as saying it aloud. Or the irony could be seen as very, very funny, which it does to me since I did manage to filter :)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #625 on: May 06, 2018, 12:47:46 PM »
I decluttered some nature today. Close to a parking place at the beach I found 4 full plastic bags with eatern european, empty, beer cans. And some other stuff, mostly plastic. All properly recycled now.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #626 on: May 06, 2018, 12:52:13 PM »
We are moving soon and I let go of our crib. It was barely used and we had gotten it four years back when we were expecting our first. We were naive parents who assumed baby would take to crib like fish to water. Haha! Both kids hated it, used it to play at times and I used it to contain them when I had to use the restroom. Now that second is a year old it's  a good time to chuck it. Still have the mattress - planning to make a montessori bedroom with it. It ended up being a  very costly laundry basket. Sold to a new mom who was super happy to get a mint condition crib for cheap.

Now eyeing what else I can sell/donate before our move. Maybe the dining room set.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #627 on: May 06, 2018, 02:02:27 PM »
Packed up a huge bag of clothes that didn't fit anymore. Post-menopause has resulted in lumps and bumps shifting around, so even getting the weight off wouldn't mean anything would fit properly anyway.   I was sad at first, but it's a relief not having those things in the closet shaming me every time I saw them.

Also started packing up some dishes my Mom insisted I take 30 years ago.  We don't use fine china, and these have been carted around through 4 moves now.  Time for them to go and find a new home with someone that appreciates them.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #628 on: May 06, 2018, 03:08:33 PM »
I have a set of 'good' dishes. Not even sure if they are china or not. I never, ever use them. Don't think they have ever been used but are taking up valuable space in my cupboard. Good idea to get rid of them. I am not hoity toity and wouldn't even be embarrassed if I were to serve company on a mixed bag of dishes and even paper plates! Going to have to think about getting rid of those dishes. Space is precious and I never use them!

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #629 on: May 06, 2018, 04:47:35 PM »
I saw advertised on a sales page a set of Xmas crockery. Crockery with a Xmas pattern for use on just few days of the year. That's a minimalist's nightmare right there.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #630 on: May 06, 2018, 09:37:53 PM »
Crockery with a Xmas pattern for use on just few days of the year. That's a minimalist's nightmare right there.

lol, yes!!!

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #631 on: May 06, 2018, 11:04:04 PM »
Packed up a huge bag of clothes that didn't fit anymore. Post-menopause has resulted in lumps and bumps shifting around, so even getting the weight off wouldn't mean anything would fit properly anyway.   I was sad at first, but it's a relief not having those things in the closet shaming me every time I saw them.

Also started packing up some dishes my Mom insisted I take 30 years ago.  We don't use fine china, and these have been carted around through 4 moves now.  Time for them to go and find a new home with someone that appreciates them.

Have you considered using your fine china and getting rid of the other stuff. I got rid of my cheap glasses and started using the nice stuff. Yes, Sometimes something breaks bitit not the whole world.  If I look at my grandparents they saved the nice stuff and never got around using it. Instead it was sold when they died. Seems like such a waste.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #632 on: May 07, 2018, 03:20:06 AM »
I saw advertised on a sales page a set of Xmas crockery. Crockery with a Xmas pattern for use on just few days of the year. That's a minimalist's nightmare right there.

For reasons unclear, multiple people in my life try to give me Christmas themed serving ware. Brand new, bought for me. Wtf.

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #633 on: May 07, 2018, 04:10:26 AM »
Is it too late to join this group?
My mother died in January and yesterday I finished clearing out her house. I didn't bother with an estate sale because her stuff was either expensive and new (most of the furniture was two or three years old) or not really worth anything (kitchen stuff, clothes). So I donated anything I didn't want and took the rest to my house. Thinking I would have more time to decide what works in my house and what doesn't.
I now have five couches, four dining tables, six beds, and countless boxes of formal china, silver, crystal etc. My basement looks like an episode of Hoarders. And this is on top of already having large piles of outgrown kids toys.
I don't even know where to begin!!!

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #634 on: May 07, 2018, 04:52:29 AM »
Wow BeanCounter you have created quite the mess but I understand completely because my Mom died 5 years ago and I dragged stuff home and still doesn't work in my house. We also donated almost 99% of the contents of her home to a charitable organization. We paid the org. $35 (gas money) to come and get the stuff and it took them the best part of a day to get it all in the truck. It was a sad day but it had to be done.

First off, you obviously can't use all this stuff. Get a pad of paper and decide exactly how many beds, tables you need or want to keep. Call Salvation army and donate it to them or some other charitable organization that will do a pick up. You will be helping some family out and getting rid of this stuff.

With the boxes, I think you need to either plan on spending a day opening them all up to see what is in each. Mark each box with a number (Number 1-100) and take that pad of paper and write on the pad the inventory in the box and close it up and go onto the next boxes and do the same thing. Maybe even take a picture of each boxes inventory while it is in the box so you don't have to open it again.

Then make the hard decisions. Are you ever going to use this stuff? Where will you store the stuff? How often are you going to use the stuff? Keep what you will really use or admire in a hutch or curio cabinet and get rid of the rest. There are pickers who will sell your stuff and they make 40% and you make 60%. You can sell it on Craigslist. You might even find an organization that has a yearly auction to make money for their organization/church/animal welfare/fire department and donate to them. You are never going to use all this stuff. If you can give it away you may help someone else and lighten your load. Get rid of this stuff now before someone else has to deal with this accumulation. Good luck to you!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #635 on: May 07, 2018, 05:50:25 AM »

Have you considered using your fine china and getting rid of the other stuff. I got rid of my cheap glasses and started using the nice stuff. Yes, Sometimes something breaks bitit not the whole world.  If I look at my grandparents they saved the nice stuff and never got around using it. Instead it was sold when they died. Seems like such a waste.

If you like the pattern, use the "good" stuff.  My everyday dishes and glasses are "good".  Using nice china is a joy, it is strong and light weight and food just looks more appetizing on it.  I am not saving it for "good", so I put it in the dishwasher, I am not coddling it.  The sad part of this?  I got it at an estate sale, I am sure it was someone's good china, and I didn't pay much for it.  I am sure I am getting more joy out of using it than they ever did.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #636 on: May 07, 2018, 05:56:47 AM »
One word of caution, some china has gold rims around the edges. If you were to put the dish in the microwave it might damage the microwave. Not sure how to know but I would avoid putting those type dishes in the MW.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #637 on: May 07, 2018, 06:01:31 AM »
My mother died in January and yesterday I finished clearing out her house. I didn't bother with an estate sale because her stuff was either expensive and new (most of the furniture was two or three years old) or not really worth anything (kitchen stuff, clothes). So I donated anything I didn't want and took the rest to my house. Thinking I would have more time to decide what works in my house and what doesn't.
I now have five couches, four dining tables, six beds, and countless boxes of formal china, silver, crystal etc. My basement looks like an episode of Hoarders. And this is on top of already having large piles of outgrown kids toys.

Been there, done that, still going through it a little.  The hard thing is not physically moving stuff, it's the mental effort involved in all the decisions that have to be made.  For each item, and there can be thousands, there are just so many decisions: do I want to keep it and if so where does it go, if I don't want to keep it do I sell it and if so how, or do I donate it and if so to whom, or do I dump it and if so how do I do least damage to the environment?  The difficulty is compounded by all the emotions and memories involved.  My family is getting smaller over the generations so I've had to go through this all too many times, fortunately I don't think I'll ever need to do it again.  Apart from some family heirlooms I'm now thinking I'll leave all the contents of my house to a charity so I don't impose the same job on anyone else.

My view when looking at each category of item was: start with what you want to keep.  You can only have one dining table: pick the one that suits your home best and say goodbye to the others.  Same with the beds and couches: pick what best suits your home and say goodbye to the others.  Don't make one mistake I made, which was keeping stuff for the home I was going to have rather than the one I had then (adding a room, which took two years and is only now allowing me to do a final sort of what I do and don't want:  fortunately I think I got the decisions about right, but 18 months of storage payments did hurt).

I did decide to keep some sentimental items, mostly fancy china.  I had a big wall cupboard with glass doors built specially: it decorates the kitchen but doesn't need dusting because of the doors: no way I would have kept it all on open shelves.  I use daily the cut glass crystal glasses that were previously kept for best.  The sellable stuff went to auction, the donateable stuff to various charities, some unsellable stuff (old upholstered furniture that doesn't meet current fire safety regulations) went via freecycle/freegle/buy nothing.  The last house I cleared I made one or two trips to the dump with my compact car, that's all: it was a well kept home.

It took me 6 months to clear the last house, and then a couple more to get it redecorated and let out, so you are already ahead of my timetable on that: do give yourself credit for that.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #638 on: May 07, 2018, 07:04:35 AM »
Sorry to hear about your mom. I would definitely second choosing how much furniture you need and which pieces you want to keep. That is a lot of excess large items! FWIW, we sold some fancy china and water goblets for close to $1000. You might be able to sort through the dishes and clear out some that way once you have the bulky stuff sorted and some time to consider what you want to keep.

Decluttering kept me from getting a ticket (or two) last night. I got stopped by the police to be told I have a headlight out and actually had proof of insurance with me that was current thanks to decluttering my desk recently! Got to show it again when I got stopped a second time. So, so glad I got our paperwork sorted through!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #639 on: May 07, 2018, 07:11:26 AM »
Yesterday was a declutter success. Friends bought their first house. Moving from a small apartment, and they're very frugal types, so we're in the unique place of actually having things we can offer that help! Two big things: they had asked us where we found our reel mower, how much it was, etc, that we had previously owned. I don't think they realized- I never got around to selling it when we bought our electric mower! So we offered them the reel mower, and they accepted. Took it with us yesterday. While we were there, we were discussing living room layout- currently, the couch is super close to the wall with the TV, because they have a little old 30" TV. She mentioned that they plan on pushing the couch back once they have a bigger TV, but "that's WAY down the list of purchases." We replaced our TV before Christmas, and were holding onto our old 42" TV for BIL- but he recently decided that's too small, so he's buying a new one. (Funny how he's not the one buying a house... ahem...) Anyway, we offered, and they're very interested in the old TV. So next time we see them, we'll hand that off as well.

I could have sold these two things, and gotten probably $50 for the mower and $100+ for the TV. But honestly? I'm not usually in a place to actually help a friend like this, so I'm happy to contribute to their house set up. We were fortunate recipients of many things, so it's only fair to pay it forward with passing on useful/needed/desired items.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #640 on: May 07, 2018, 08:06:55 AM »
Today I am going to tackle a giant suitcase that is full of hobby crap that I have not done in a few years now. It is going in a garbage bag for Vietnam Vets. Already have a giant pile of stuff to donate.

Oh, and I am going to buy two collapsible laundry baskets and get rid of the three that don't collapse. This is going to be such a great space saver!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #641 on: May 07, 2018, 09:04:13 AM »
Today I am going to tackle a giant suitcase that is full of hobby crap that I have not done in a few years now. It is going in a garbage bag for Vietnam Vets. Already have a giant pile of stuff to donate.

Oh, and I am going to buy two collapsible laundry baskets and get rid of the three that don't collapse. This is going to be such a great space saver!

You clearly don't have a cat. When the laundry basket isn't being used for laundry, it has a cat in it. And sometimes has both.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #642 on: May 07, 2018, 09:41:29 AM »
No cats here! Two dogs. They are not interested in the baskets! Used to put one of them in the laundry basket when he was a puppy but he freaked out and never liked it! LOL, needless to say I put him in it for my entertainment!

shadesofgreen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #643 on: May 07, 2018, 10:42:22 AM »
I offered my old stereo to my brother and he is going to take it off my hands. It won't work for the design plan I have for my living room when the entertainment center goes. The conversation went like this --

Brother - I have a new CC and I need to go buy a stereo!
Me -       Don't use all that credit at once.
Pause ........
Me -       If you are interested I am getting rid of my old stereo - 5 disc, 2 tape deck, speakers and remote if you want
Brother - How much are you asking?
Me -        $ 45
Brother -  Is it broken????
Me-       No, it works I have something smaller  that I want to use instead.   
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 10:44:17 AM by shadesofgreen »

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #644 on: May 07, 2018, 11:01:41 AM »
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I just took 13 bags to a shred event last week and just found another two drawer file cabinet with a ton of crap that needs shredding! The event I went to was free. Last Saturday they had one elsewhere that cost $10 a box. GRRRRRRRR! The free one one is only one time a year. What do you think I should do? Find another event and pay to get rid of this crap or wait till next year?

My head just blew a gasket when I opened those drawers and saw all that crap! ARGGGGGG!!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #645 on: May 07, 2018, 11:12:57 AM »
GET RID OF IT NOW! Pay the fee. Make it go away. Worth it.

And, as you declutter, you will probably have this experience over and over again. You clear out "everything" that can go, and three days later find or identify more. Nature of the game. Keep it going OUT, even if a small fee is involved.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #646 on: May 07, 2018, 11:55:45 AM »
Congrats on being able to help a friend, Bracken Joy! That's fantastic!

Put two books in one of our local Little Free Libraries this morning. That's always a nice moment.

A question: It seems like a lot of folks deal with serious paper shredding issues. Is it worth it to those who have copious paper to buy a shredder? I know that goes against the general minimalist/get rid of stuff bent, but if you know you're going to have a LOT of paper coming in and out for years, it might be worth it. I got a small one several years ago from a friend who was moving out of town -- 10 bucks well spent for me, since I've shredded quite a few confidential bits of paper with it with no stress. The one I have costs about $30 new. If you have to pay $10 to shred each box and have more than three boxes, buying the shredder is already cheaper in terms of raw dollars spent. (Obviously not worth it if this is just another strategy to keep more clutter IN your house, but if it can help you get boxes and boxes of clutter out more quickly -- maybe a thing to think about?)

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #647 on: May 07, 2018, 12:03:49 PM »
If you're still working can you bring in a little at a time and use the office industrial shredder.  I have a small home shredder (for receipts and junk mail from banks) but I still do this on occasion when I do a big clean out push.

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #648 on: May 07, 2018, 12:10:05 PM »
Dragonswan, the dumpster was maybe $350. The deal is they let you have it for maybe a week. Which isn't enough time typically when you work so we rented it so it arrived on a Friday and we had all weekend to fill it. Then we rented it for the following weekend and we had to pay maybe $10 for each extra day. Then the following Monday we had them take it away. So we kept it 10 total days.

The organization we found only charged us $35 and that was for fuel for the truck. It was a bargain for sure.

We also had 1800 got junk and that place was expensive! They charged us to take away a small amount of stuff as much as the $350 dumpster rental. If you have the room, go with the dumpster if you are physically able to load the dumpster. If you are not, 1800 got junk does the job but trust me, they are expensive considering what they take away.

If you have them bring a dumpster, makes sure you tell them to put some wooden planks under the wheels of the dumpster so it doesn't dig into your driveway.

Dumpster delivery was very easy and we had them come first thing in the morning and they were there. No hassles whatsoever. When you are done with the dumpster you just call them and they arrange pick up. If it is a Monday pick up make sure to call them the Friday before.

We went thru our garbage company. The did require payment on the phone and wouldn't add the service to my normal garbage bill.

Thanks for the info.  My siblings and I will likely that a week off from work and descend on the house and get it done.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #649 on: May 07, 2018, 12:12:30 PM »

We actually do use some of the bowls, etc.  It is gold rimmed though, so not supposed to go in the dishwasher.  Also monogrammed with an initial that is not ours.   I would definitely keep it and use it if I liked it, but it was never anything I would have picked out for myself.  Knowing the relative it came from, I'm sure they paid a fortune for it back in the 40's.   Our everyday dishes are plain white, so suitable for any occasion.   I can't see us using the tea cups and saucers under any condition - weird shape, too tiny, and just not attractive.  Those will be the first things to get packed up.

I have some stemware that was a wedding gift that I used to keep for 'good'.  Yes, just like your grandparents.  So a couple of years ago I started using it for everyday.   If something breaks, that's fine.  I still have my 'free with gas' Texaco wine glasses from the 60's as a backup.   : )

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!