Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1249323 times)

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #3450 on: February 27, 2020, 10:58:46 AM »
Donated a carload of stuff that has been sitting in the storage room for over 10 years. Sadly, the thrift store did not want our baby stuff - umbrella stroller, Fisher Price rocker, booster seat, etc. Those things are currently sitting in my mom's garage. She doesn't want strangers coming to the house and doesn't want the hassle of waiting for a potential person who may or may not show up at an agreed upon location, so they will either be donated at a drop-off donation box or thrown away.

Today, I cleared the pantry and have another box of donations ready to go to the thrift store. My mom found out that she has five rice cookers and four clay pots for boiling Chinese medicines. We convinced her to donate one rice cooker and three clay pots.

Just put the stuff at the end of the driveway with a free sign.  Easy.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3451 on: February 27, 2020, 01:43:34 PM »
Donated a carload of stuff that has been sitting in the storage room for over 10 years. Sadly, the thrift store did not want our baby stuff - umbrella stroller, Fisher Price rocker, booster seat, etc. Those things are currently sitting in my mom's garage. She doesn't want strangers coming to the house and doesn't want the hassle of waiting for a potential person who may or may not show up at an agreed upon location, so they will either be donated at a drop-off donation box or thrown away.

Today, I cleared the pantry and have another box of donations ready to go to the thrift store. My mom found out that she has five rice cookers and four clay pots for boiling Chinese medicines. We convinced her to donate one rice cooker and three clay pots.

Just put the stuff at the end of the driveway with a free sign.  Easy.

I wish it were that easy. We live deep within the bowels of a gated community on a dead end street in the boonies. Except for the snowplows, not a single vehicle has driven by over the past few days.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3452 on: February 27, 2020, 03:39:31 PM »
Gave $150 worth of gorgeous travel accessories to a girl at work. I don't need them, she was excited to have them. (No, I couldn't sell them - they were monogrammed.)

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3453 on: February 27, 2020, 08:00:11 PM »
Put everything on the 'might be worth something' list on FB Marketplace today. Total is under $75 for all the items, so I'll give it a week and then donate the items. They've all been hanging about for almost 5 months. I even added a few extra things while I was at it!

I've been procrastinating this for weeks and it took less than half an hour. So I'll make about $50/hour between posting and meeting, if all goes well. If not, I'll donate knowing I tried.

Two items sold and one in the mail! I'll be all of $25 richer when all is said and done :) Three more things gone, though.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #3454 on: February 27, 2020, 09:04:45 PM »
I'm just going to slip the broken automatic tap timer (that husband said he wanted to open up and look at 7 years ago) into the bin. It's never going to happen.

I looked into getting a second bin as we are a two dwelling lot now. It's $220 a year which is a bit of an incentive to go super low waste.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3455 on: February 28, 2020, 03:23:55 AM »
I have one giant bag and half a box of random household stuff ready to donate. I am going to find a few more things to top up the box, and then that will be it for the de-cluttering until after busy season at work, which lasts until the end of June.

ETA: Found an old Tupperware devilled egg container and a Decosonic bag sealer deep in the back corner of my kitchen cabinets. Plus, I recycled a few plastic lids, etc. and found a few more pairs of pants to add to the clothing bag. I must say, it is pretty satisfying seeing space opening up in my cupboards and closet.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 03:03:50 PM by Prairie Gal »

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #3456 on: March 01, 2020, 06:53:46 PM »
All kinds of stuff left our house today - much of it was just garbage.  I tried on all the bathing suits I have.  Many of them were disintegrating.  My son worked on his bedroom.  Our recycling and garbage bins are full.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3457 on: March 01, 2020, 07:22:50 PM »
Put the awesome cleaver I haven't used in years into the donation pile.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3458 on: March 02, 2020, 09:54:30 PM »
Ragged a couple of t-shirts and put a pair of shoes in the donation bag.

I had gotten into the bad habit of taking older clothes to my parents' house to wear on weekend visits. It's always handy to have an old pair of jeans and a couple of hoodies to dag around in.

Unfortunately, I've taken so many things that my wardrobe there is almost full. I need to be strict with myself and sort out what I will actually wear again and what I'm dumping there as a way of delaying the inevitable.

My environmental conscience is having a tough time with clothes that can't be sold, donated or ragged.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3459 on: March 03, 2020, 09:28:30 AM »
May be decluttering the fridge somewhat in the near future. Might finally use the 5 gallon jug of malt extract syrup in there  to make another batch of homebrew beer. Two birds with one stone, ha ha. 

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3460 on: March 03, 2020, 10:06:47 AM »
Finished a puzzle, took it apart and put it back in the box. Then put it in the donation box.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3461 on: March 03, 2020, 10:35:21 AM »
Lots of random stuff is leaving the house.

The kids have to pack up their bedrooms and move out of them for a month while they get new flooring and exterior walls with lots of insulation.  I have been begging them not to just dump everything into boxes but only the stuff that they really want.  We have lived here for ten years now and that is a lot of age and stage of childhood accumulating.  And unfortunately I am also having to make a bunch of decisions because their closets have also been my dumping ground for years.  The biggest thing though are all those school projects and science experiments.  They are getting disassembled and the component parts are finding their way to the garbage or recycling or spare parts box.

Needless to say - our house is going to be a mess of clutter and disruption while two rooms become completely empty and then perhaps very slowly get re-furnished.  (We didn't hire the painting of the new walls - this is something we can do easily and we figured it was time for the kids to learn how to paint. My DH and I are very good painters.  And just MMM enough that we are going to re-use the existing trim but too frugal to pay someone else to fiddle with re-installing it.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3462 on: March 03, 2020, 05:29:45 PM »
Actually took the donation bag to Goodwill this weekend, didn't let it sit around gathering dust for several months after I filled it! I did a real deep dig for this round. Like new gardening gloves, a small power tool I got a nicer replacement for at Christmas, gifted accessories, brand new office supplies, framed art, the second DVD/Blue Ray player. 
Sold one more FB item this weekend, and am meeting up with the fifth item's owner-to-be here in a bit. That'll be over $100 I've made from this little decluttering. Almost what I paid for one of the items I'm selling...(sigh).
My home is starting to feel really good. My closet is a tiny, old-fashioned one, but everything fits neatly inside. The hangers move freely and all of the shoes are neatly lined up and easy to find. The movies are neatly stored in plastic sleeves in a basket. The books all fit on the shelf. I'm getting more and more ruthless!

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3463 on: March 04, 2020, 08:09:20 AM »
Two boxes of kitchen stuff and books, and a garbage bag full of clothes and miscellaneous heading out the door in a few minutes.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3464 on: March 04, 2020, 08:23:56 AM »
I pitched some glasses that I have had three different prescriptions in.  Both arms have been replaced when they broke - and I have been coping with the misshaped arm hinge for a couple years after I accidentally crushed them between the bed and the nightstand shortly after getting the reading lenses.  They were completely irreparable so not worth donating to charity.  I first bought them 19 years ago.  They served well.

The kids great room clear out continues.  A dozen books went to the little library.  The recycle bin was completely filled with papers and boxes yesterday when the city picked it up.  It is huge and we normally only put it out once every two months or so when it is actually full.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3465 on: March 05, 2020, 06:13:15 PM »
Not so much decluttered as politely declined a useless item a colleague tried to give me.

Went to a conference today and remembered this. I only left with the small booklet of information and a silly doodad. No tote bag full of ultimately useless stuff!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3466 on: March 05, 2020, 07:37:00 PM »
Not so much decluttered as politely declined a useless item a colleague tried to give me.

Went to a conference today and remembered this. I only left with the small booklet of information and a silly doodad. No tote bag full of ultimately useless stuff!

Love hearing this!

Stopping it coming in is easier than letting it go down the track.

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3467 on: March 07, 2020, 06:42:35 PM »
I should have found this thread earlier! I made a new year's resolution to purge all the old junk in my attic, and I'm finally getting around to it this week.

I have boxes and boxes full of old books. Powell's has a book buyback program, so I got a barcode scanner app on my phone, captured the ISBNs and uploaded them to the Powell's website. They wanted about ten of them. They e-mailed me a prepaid shipping label, plus I get a few bucks in store credit. I'll ship those later this week.

Of the fifty or sixty books they didn't want, some were out-of-date college textbooks or paperbacks that are too old and battered to resell. I filled up a big box with those and carried it out to the recycling bin today. The books that are in good condition and that someone might want, I'll donate to the library or thrift store.

I have at least one or two more rounds of book purging to go. Next, I have to tackle all our boxes of baby stuff.

I haven't made a lot of progress with the books, but I'm doing well with everything else. I've consolidated several boxes of old papers and photos, and sorted through some boxes of old clothes. I threw out some that had stains or holes and made a collection of others to give away.

There's a swap meet in my neighborhood next week and I'm hoping I can give away a lot of these, especially the kids' clothes that my son has outgrown. Whatever doesn't get taken, I'll drop off at the thrift store.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #3468 on: March 07, 2020, 08:15:52 PM »
We now have two cars parked in our garage* and everything stored more or less where it will be stored. I have a few things waiting to be given away, and it still needs properly organising but I'll say we've successfully moved and now have a space that suits us. We even have a little table tennis area.

* No more washing the bushfire ash off, panicking in hail storms and burning yourself on the seat & gearstick in summer. Life-changing!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3469 on: March 07, 2020, 08:47:31 PM »
I'm sadly parting ways with my 20 year old Haflinger slippers.  The tops are actually still in good shape, but the soles are shot.  I guess college to middle-age is a pretty good run for a pair of slips.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3470 on: March 08, 2020, 03:43:05 PM »
I'm sadly parting ways with my 20 year old Haflinger slippers.  The tops are actually still in good shape, but the soles are shot.  I guess college to middle-age is a pretty good run for a pair of slips.

Never heard of this brand of slippers, so I was confused, thinking they were horse slippers!  (By the way, what breed do you have?  I used to have Arabians.)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3471 on: March 08, 2020, 06:01:50 PM »
Donated two old pairs of glasses and a case to back to my optom.

Ragged five holey t-shorts and donated a pair of too-big shorts.

Sold a dress on eBay.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3472 on: March 08, 2020, 06:56:07 PM »
- Uno deck put into the street library by the kindergarten. (I did take a book on investing so current belongings are static but that's temporary)
- Helped my friends who are moving back to NZ by taking 3 bags of misc condiments and ingredients. Some we will use, others we bin with no hesitation. (it's 3yr old lemon chicken sauce. It can go) it made me start thinking of our eventual move and how using things up now will make it easier for us.
- put the donations into a bag, once the bag is full, it'll going into the car boot for donation.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3473 on: March 08, 2020, 07:29:22 PM »

Never heard of this brand of slippers, so I was confused, thinking they were horse slippers!  (By the way, what breed do you have?  I used to have Arabians.)
My first thought was that the slippers were made from Haflinger horses  - very pretty colours.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3474 on: March 08, 2020, 07:34:51 PM »

Haha!

I have two quarter horses and a warmblood.  My retired quarter horse lives with a farm full of Arabians. :)

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #3475 on: March 08, 2020, 08:10:33 PM »
Finally, finally returned a dish that I brought home Christmas leftovers in!  Woo!  It's such a drag to have other people's stuff hanging around that long.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3476 on: March 08, 2020, 08:27:30 PM »

Haha!

I have two quarter horses and a warmblood.  My retired quarter horse lives with a farm full of Arabians. :)

My Arabians lived in a barn full of quarter horses!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3477 on: March 08, 2020, 08:31:05 PM »
-Removed two garbage bags full of kid clothes from their closets this weekend. Many free camp & soccer club shirts. They both wear athletic clothes 95% of the time, which is very forgiving. So, the fact that they've both outgrown the majority of their wardrobe snuck up on me. Everything to the donation bin.
-One pair of good condition but outgrown kid shoes to the donation bin.
-Several pair of pants I don't wear to the donation bin

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3478 on: March 09, 2020, 02:28:16 AM »
Finally, finally returned a dish that I brought home Christmas leftovers in!  Woo!  It's such a drag to have other people's stuff hanging around that long.

One friend and I have an unspoken agreement that we never return containers empty, always with a dozen biscuits or a cake or something. It's one of my favourite little traditions. :)

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3479 on: March 09, 2020, 09:18:18 AM »
Have a ferret cage going out the door this afternoon.   We used it when my son visited with his ferret, but unfortunately* Loki is no longer with us, so the cage is off to a new home.

*In a million years I would never have predicted I would get attached to a ferret, but I did.   I really miss his visits and antics.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3480 on: March 09, 2020, 09:33:51 AM »
An amazing amount of stuff got cleared out of the kids bedrooms.  Most of it is now stacked in our living room while they get new exterior walls with insulation and hardwood flooring.  Both of them are loving how wonderful it feels to have really empty closets.  I even found some of my junk in their closets that is now in a donate pile.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3481 on: March 09, 2020, 06:35:09 PM »

Love hearing this!

Stopping it coming in is easier than letting it go down the track.

Too right! I actually put the silly item to a useful purpose at work yesterday, when a need arose. No more clutter in my house and a problem solved.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3482 on: March 09, 2020, 08:51:46 PM »
A few weeks ago, I took some half-empty bottles of coffee flavoring to the work kitchen. I liked them, but in very small quantities. They were going to expire before I got through them.
They were such a hit that the receptionist ordered more in other flavors! Not a declutter win for the office, but a major one for me. They're still there if I want them, but others have access to them. I try to think of this whenever I want to hang on to something that I don't really need. Someone else might love it!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #3483 on: March 09, 2020, 11:21:43 PM »

One friend and I have an unspoken agreement that we never return containers empty, always with a dozen biscuits or a cake or something. It's one of my favourite little traditions. :)

That's a sweet tradition! Maybe next time I'll time it differently and deliver some goodies in return.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #3484 on: March 09, 2020, 11:24:33 PM »
A few weeks ago, I took some half-empty bottles of coffee flavoring to the work kitchen. I liked them, but in very small quantities. They were going to expire before I got through them.
They were such a hit that the receptionist ordered more in other flavors! Not a declutter win for the office, but a major one for me. They're still there if I want them, but others have access to them. I try to think of this whenever I want to hang on to something that I don't really need. Someone else might love it!

Love this strategy! Especially when I was living alone, I couldn't always eat the whole package of something before it went bad. Sharing with others is a great way to get a bit of the food and also brighten someone's else's day!

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3485 on: March 10, 2020, 04:31:12 AM »
Dropped off 125 items at the consignment sale for this season.  I still have like 4 boxes for the fall, but I'm thinking that unless some boxes of baby clothes shows up (it's very possible) that the fall will be the last sale I participate in, at least as a seller.

Donated 3 boxes of random household stuff to the thrift store.  Figured out that...someone...in my house has been removing items from the donate box.  You know, things that no one has touched in years that are suddenly super interesting.  Le sigh.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3486 on: March 10, 2020, 05:48:52 AM »
Couple of empty glass jars, that have been in the kitchen cabinets forever,  into the recycling.

Two grocery size plastic bags of old clothes to donation.

A few old letters and cards from the 1980's into the recycling.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3487 on: March 10, 2020, 06:21:52 AM »
Fancy work clothes that are not me.....gone

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3488 on: March 10, 2020, 06:27:53 AM »
2 cars, sold. 1 trailer, sold. 1 pull up bar (over the door) sold. 1 generator, sold. Pile of exercise equipment, given away.

Full dump load taken to the dump.

Much boat stuff moved out of the garage to the storage unit (yes, I know - temporary stashing spot closer by 3 hours to the boat).

Garage starting to look less like an overstuffed burrito and more like a place someone could actually put (gasp) cars.

DrinkCoffeeStackMoney

• Stubble
« Reply #3489 on: March 10, 2020, 11:58:40 AM »
I've been a collector since childhood but I'm at a point (mid-40's) where I no longer have a desire to own everything and I'm finally letting things go.
Since Christmas 2019 I've sold about $3k worth of stuff, with tons more to go.
I also just dumped a big stack of old auction catalogs in the recycle bin at work this morning.

Although I'm in the early stages, the purge has been far easier than I imagined.

ZsaZsa

• Stubble
« Reply #3490 on: March 12, 2020, 06:14:43 PM »
Have been lurking for some time...and recently started trying to clear out the hidden hoard of clutter behind every door. Have recycled a truckload of glass bottles and cardboard, recycled cans for $5 (small deposit in vacay fund), sold doll on ebay for $40 (bigger deposit!), sent large bag of clothes to Thred Up (many with tags still on...color me embarrassed), took 2 boxes of assorted  Christmas decorations to Goodwill, picked up a storms worth of sticks for kindling, and rounded up some pretty jars with lids that I'm using to prepare overnight oats for myself and Mr. ZZ.
On the other hand...I bought a copy of the Complete Tightwad Gazette (which I read and loved many, many moons ago) for $7! Mustachian inspiration...priceless.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3491 on: March 13, 2020, 09:50:29 AM »
Another melamine bookcase gone, plus some paint and a pile of books.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3492 on: March 14, 2020, 07:31:13 PM »
It's getting lighter outside. I am getting antsy. But it's too cold/early still for outdoor work. Solution? My bedroom! I'm going to paint it (a long, painful process to undo bad DIY paint jobs and do it properly).

Moved the litterbox from the back bedroom into the book room. Cleaned the back bedroom. Moved all the furniture from my bedroom to the back bedroom. Can now start work on the bedroom whenever.

In the process, a box of stuff was gathered to go away. Said items have been bagged and are sitting by the front door to go to the thrift store. I will put them in the car. They may sit there for a month due to the virus, but they will at least be out of my way.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3493 on: March 16, 2020, 10:57:33 AM »
Fastidiously poring over a bag of old letters. Putting 95% of them into the recycle bag, saving 5% for sentimental reasons. Will waste gas driving to the recycle place later today to toss the bagful. Have to get out of the house! 

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3494 on: March 16, 2020, 11:04:15 AM »
Dropped off an area rug, more books, odds and ends for donation this morning.  An entire back seat of a car's worth.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3495 on: March 17, 2020, 02:12:38 PM »
I am going to be in 14 days of quarantine when I get home from vacation.  I am going to town on the kids' and my closets.  Right now I am burning through watercolour paper and my sketch book - vacation perfection.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3496 on: March 21, 2020, 11:19:44 AM »
Since we are being urged to stay home if possible, I am home a lot and bored! Therefore decluttering seems more interesting than usual.

I'm currently attacking another bag of old letters, cards, receipts, etc that was in a closet.  Putting most of it in a recycling bag, saving some stuff that *might* be a collectors item somewhere, to someone, for some price, ha ha.   

I hope the curbside recycling folks come by, as usual, this Monday. If they cancel it due to the CV19 thing, I guess I can just stuff the bag-o-papers somewhere until later.       

Also, with all this time on my hands, I looked over my records of last year's rummage sales. Man, I got rid of a LOT of stuff! And, made a modest amount of cash doing so.    That's uplifting.  I'm already looking forward to another season of rummage sales. I've encountered a LOT of stuff in my decluttering this winter that I have set aside, to sell this Spring, Summer, and Fall.   
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 11:26:07 AM by slackmax »

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #3497 on: March 21, 2020, 08:31:48 PM »
@slackmax my area is under a Shelter in Place order...trash pickup is considered essential and will continue throughout the lockdown period.

Also considered essential: haz mat drop off center.  The folks there were really good at keeping the 6' distance.  So I got rid of a gallon of paint.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3498 on: March 21, 2020, 09:02:48 PM »
We used the shelter in place timing to also clean our kids rooms. We got rid of a tremendous amount of garbage, recycling, & donations. I'd say 4-5 garbage bags in all.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 10:27:44 AM by MaybeBabyMustache »

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3499 on: March 22, 2020, 08:01:42 PM »
Not me, but heard my aunt and uncle cleaned out their attic while stuck inside. 30+ years in the house. Filled up their trash & recycling several times over, plus a hefty load of stuff for donation.  Hehe. Now, if only my parents would get some similar inspiration!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!