Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1249257 times)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #4650 on: January 30, 2021, 06:13:54 AM »
Watching decluttering YouTube videos has given me impetus to dig a little deeper and find even more items to get rid of. So into the donation pile goes a hot glue gun with a box of glue tubes/refills, a new pack of coloured pencils (my daughter's, she won't use them and I hate colouring with pencils, the colour isn't saturated enough), and a stack of 365 inspirational quotes on mini cards (cute, but I don't really need to refer to them).

None of these are large things, but were all surprisingly difficult to get rid of. I had such nostalgic feelings for when my kids were younger and loved crafting and drawing, but they are all grown up now and have different interests. I know once the items are out of the house I will completely forget about them, so it is much healthier for my state of mind to not see them any more!

Glue gun - I was watching some organizing videos that were using glue guns, and I realised I do not want a glue gun.  Her organising ideas were good, and her orgainising did involve getting rid of clutter, but a lot of what she was doing was creating more clutter.  If I really need to glue something I can always get out the glue.   ;-)   She also was using a cricut, and all I could think of was that is nice for labeling little kid's things with pictures, but otherwise just one more thing to find a home for.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4651 on: January 30, 2021, 12:51:44 PM »
Watching decluttering YouTube videos has given me impetus to dig a little deeper and find even more items to get rid of. So into the donation pile goes a hot glue gun with a box of glue tubes/refills, a new pack of coloured pencils (my daughter's, she won't use them and I hate colouring with pencils, the colour isn't saturated enough), and a stack of 365 inspirational quotes on mini cards (cute, but I don't really need to refer to them).

None of these are large things, but were all surprisingly difficult to get rid of. I had such nostalgic feelings for when my kids were younger and loved crafting and drawing, but they are all grown up now and have different interests. I know once the items are out of the house I will completely forget about them, so it is much healthier for my state of mind to not see them any more!
Glue gun - I was watching some organizing videos that were using glue guns, and I realised I do not want a glue gun.  Her organising ideas were good, and her orgainising did involve getting rid of clutter, but a lot of what she was doing was creating more clutter.  If I really need to glue something I can always get out the glue.   ;-)   She also was using a cricut, and all I could think of was that is nice for labeling little kid's things with pictures, but otherwise just one more thing to find a home for.
Recently I wanted a retro punch-style label maker but then realised that I could use old tape and a permanent marker that we already had to do the job of making labels but one involved bringing another thing into the house and the other one helped to use things up.

Dogastrophe

• Bristles
« Reply #4652 on: January 30, 2021, 05:07:09 PM »
Donated a couple pair of rock climbing shoes to a local climbing group, couple dozen comics to friend's children, and shredded some paperwork.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4653 on: January 30, 2021, 05:11:00 PM »
Dropped off 1 bag of clothes and 2 bags of "stuff" at the Goodwill Donation center today.  I love how convenient it is.

Threw out a grody bin from the garage that held old grilling supplies.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #4654 on: January 30, 2021, 06:09:22 PM »
I am in the process of making my upstairs yoga/indoor garden/reading/music room calm and clutter-free. Currently the coffee table is piled high with books (from the library and my own), several journals, knitting and crochet projects, DVDs I plan on watching, a tin with acrylic paints I am going to attempt to use, textas and a colouring book, gardening books, journals and seed packets. It is a mess. And I consider myself fairly minimalist in most ways! The rest of the house is tidy and everything has its place so I guess this is my my area to relax and 'be myself' whatever that means.

None of it is stuff I want to get rid of at this stage (though the acrylics have a deadline of 3 months, if I don't start painting then, I never will). I *will* finish knitting the socks, the jumper, reading the books, etc.  So it is more an organisation issue than a getting rid of clutter issue I suppose. Not meaning to hijack this fabulous thread, but thought someone might have a bright idea or 2!

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4655 on: January 30, 2021, 06:36:10 PM »
Very successful day today!  DH had the mental energy to tackle some memorabilia, so we were able to get rid of a lot of paper bits that he didn't want anymore. Consolidated four containers into two, and moved photos to a single location instead of being scattered around.  Also trashed some tag ends of drywall that DH was saving in case they could be useful later - we kept some but had far too many - and took out more trash from the ongoing construction.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4656 on: January 30, 2021, 06:45:58 PM »
I pulled out various stuff that I don't want and have piled it up to take to my parent's house to add to the estate sale. I might fill up the car. It works out nicely for me, as I can get rid of stuff that otherwise is very difficult to dispose of (half a bottle of CLR anyone?). Need to organize it for transport, and may add more. I'm going there Friday.

ZsaZsa

• Stubble
« Reply #4657 on: January 31, 2021, 08:21:25 AM »
Took a sack of surplus hats, gloves and sweaters to Goodwill...and brought home 1 shirt that I bought there. Oops! Do I at least get points because it was Senior day, and a red tag half off?

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4658 on: January 31, 2021, 08:43:23 AM »
Took a sack of surplus hats, gloves and sweaters to Goodwill...and brought home 1 shirt that I bought there. Oops! Do I at least get points because it was Senior day, and a red tag half off?

haha, ZsaZsa - I've been guilty of the same thing!  I time my donation drop-offs for senior discount day, so while I'm there I do a quick browse for anything I need that I can buy for 20% off.  I always donate more items than I ever buy though, so it's still a net decrease in overall stuff.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4659 on: January 31, 2021, 09:54:10 AM »
Lazycow I find it helpful to designate an "in progress projects" location. We have a low dresser as our living room sideboard and I use one of the drawers for in process craft projects (paintings, knitting) and my nightstand for books I plan to read soon (library or my own). It needs to fit in those places, and I put them away, don't keep them out.

Maybe designate a drawer or shelf each in your room for books and other projects.

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #4660 on: January 31, 2021, 12:03:03 PM »
@better late Would you consider donating your fancy opera glasses to an opera or ballet company? If they're in good condition they'd make a neat addition to an auction fundraiser for them, and I imagine that any arts group will be happy for any help that they can get this season. (In my mind, a pair of fancy glasses and tickets to a future season would be a nice auction or raffle prize).

yes! I would. What a great idea. Thank you!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #4661 on: February 01, 2021, 02:48:21 AM »
For the month of January, I got rid of 48 items.  Goal for the year is 500. 

I'm noticing I get as much pleasure out of purging little things (under-used kitchen utensils) as I do big ones (under-used side table).   I love empty/near empty drawers and cupboards.

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #4662 on: February 01, 2021, 03:49:33 AM »
Good weekend:
- 1 spare small TV - sold (25 EUR into the kids "travel" account)
- 1 decoration globe - sold ( another 7 EUR into the kids "travel" account)
- 1 box of clothes - donated

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4663 on: February 01, 2021, 07:42:37 AM »
My clothes closet is out of control. Yesterday, I wanted to put some things in it and there was no way I could squeeze one thing in it. I went berzerk and kept yanking out clothes till I pulled out 99% of the things that don't fit, don't like, haven't worn in years. I had a pile on my bed a mile high and my husband gasped when he saw the 'beast'! Of course I started this project late in the day and had to get the bed cleaned off. Got 3 giant garbage bags thinking that would do it. Not even close. I ended up with 6 garbage bags filled 3/4 full. Didn't dare fill them to the top or wouldn't be able to lift the bags. The hub helped me bag the stuff up. Everything was on hangers, so taking them off and folding them up a bit to place in the bag took the two of us 40 minutes! OMG, the closet has room but still seems full! I have to get back in there today to see what to do.

I had a small pile I moved to another closet. I have a coat closet that is overfilled too. Insanity!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4664 on: February 01, 2021, 08:01:46 AM »
Sounds like you are taking some good steps to deal with it, @Roadrunner53

I sold six more items on eBay, and get them mailed & out of the house the next day. I remove one item from the house every day & list something for sale. I'm in a good spot of feeling like it's a challenge to find anything new to list. Usually after I feel like that, something comes to me, & I discover an untouched area of the house that I've forgotten all about.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4665 on: February 01, 2021, 08:15:00 AM »
I have an emotional tie to an old table that came by way of XH's family.  It's actually a terrible table that I never really cared for as a dining room table, but has come in handy as a craft table.  But I listed it on FB Marketplace and someone's picking it up today.  Furniture goes so fast on there.  I temporarily moved a 30 y.o. loveseat (from my parents) into the office in its place - I need to get rid of it too, but it's the PERFECT reading chair, so I'm going to enjoy reading at least one book in it before I get rid of it.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4666 on: February 02, 2021, 07:48:29 AM »
For the month of January, I got rid of 48 items.  Goal for the year is 500. 

I'm noticing I get as much pleasure out of purging little things (under-used kitchen utensils) as I do big ones (under-used side table).   I love empty/near empty drawers and cupboards.

I feel this hard. I went through our cards recently (we keep the ones with heartfelt notes and anything from family members who have passed on) and, in addition to some old cards that just had names in them, getting rid of all the unnecessary envelopes was both a *tiny* thing and yet so cathartic!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4667 on: February 02, 2021, 11:12:53 AM »
-Sold 29 items in January
-Gave away another ~10
-Recycled/trashed another ~30 (includes paper work)

For today, tossed some expired antacids, and two makeup samples I don't care for

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #4668 on: February 02, 2021, 11:46:21 PM »
Three CL-ed items claimed & gone! The last bulky item is now in the house with minimal disruption to the living space (which is shared with Room Mate).

I'd forgotten about some hobby items that I wanted to sell earlier. Now, before moving, is the time to list them at fire sale prices!

The hobby items got some interest, but there was a misunderstanding on the price. Maybe next time.

In the mean time, I found another bulky item to add to the donation box.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4669 on: February 03, 2021, 05:29:47 AM »
Well, this is very interesting! Seems the objective is to reuse your cardboard boxes by filling them with clothes or other useful household items. You can print a FREE label and either take the box to the shipping company or have them pick it up at your house! The boxes are sent to various charities. If you wish to send to a specific charity, you pay the shipping. Otherwise, shipping is free. Check it out!

https://www.givebackbox.com/faq#

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4670 on: February 03, 2021, 07:50:04 AM »
I went through my son's closet while he was out (because of online schooling, he's almost always in his room when I have a free moment). Found five pair of base layer pants with ripped out knees. He's a soccer goalie. Found four base layer shirts that he's outgrown. Found one set that should be properly sized & not ripped.

-Tossed the ripped pants
-Will give away outgrown shirts

While I was in his room, also found a book he's done reading that I'll either list or donate.

We also ordered a bike tire replacement for my other son. The tire came in an absolutely enormous box, with....25-30 feet of brown wrapping paper (like the kind used in moves to wrap dishes & such). I'm hoping someone on my Buy Nothing group has a use for it.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4671 on: February 03, 2021, 09:26:54 AM »
Today I cleaned out a cupboard above the fridge and got rid of:

-a pile of misc silverware that I never remember is up there so I never use. Stuff like decorative pate knives.
-a napkin holder.
-gatoraid that we only drink when sick and will probably be expired before we drink it (I kept enough for one round of sickness)
-Sprite, same

From my closet a paid of jeans that doesn't spark joy

And a book that I read but it wasn't that great.

Yay me.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4672 on: February 03, 2021, 10:40:12 AM »
I've mostly been focusing on cleaning the last few days, but today I took another trunkload to the household/hazardous waste drop-off this morning.  Also decluttered my credit cards (I 'churn' so I have more than a few), and got rid of the canceled/expired ones.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4673 on: February 03, 2021, 11:15:35 AM »
Sold four more items for Jan to end with 28 items sold in Jan for $597.  Also decluttered some boxes of tea, two large boxes of cookbooks (only kept two) and some other random items.  Everything listed and picked up on craigslist/Buy Nothing group.  Listed a bunch of items over the weekend and starting off February with three items sold.  Brought over a bunch of expired epi pens and inhalers over to Walgreens to dispose of properly, I think I had items going back 5-6 years.  Put together a bag to take over to Clothes Mentor, I'll do that this week.  I'll do some more clearing out this weekend as rain is in the forecast. 

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4674 on: February 03, 2021, 11:36:30 AM »
@MaybeBabyMustache has inspired me and I listed three things on eBay last night for the first time. Fingers crossed. It makes me ridiculously nervous! What if I mess up and an internet stranger gets mad at me?!?  But naw. Hope they sell but I need still need to build in some personal deadlines and donate if they don’t.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4675 on: February 03, 2021, 12:23:10 PM »
@PMG - yay! Just remember, it takes practice, and while most transaction do go well, you will probably learn a bit along the way. Once you get the hang of it, I find it super easy & fun.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4676 on: February 03, 2021, 03:02:24 PM »
I gave a big snuffle mat to an acquaintance from the dog park who mentioned that her dog loves them. Mine doesn't and the darned thing took up valuable real estate in my little kitchen.

I'm working my way through the assorted fabrics in my linen closet and have a question for you clever folks. Can you think of any uses for formal table cloths in a home that only sees dinner parties once a decade? I've inherited several and they feel superfluous.

My parents use their during christmas and other family gatherings like bigger birthdays, christenings etc. I recently used mine when I got an colleague over for a covid christmas dinner with takeout instead of a companywide outing at a restaurant. I have decided to use my ”good” everything. I have seen so many people use specific china only for christmas or special occassions. I gave away the cheap glasses and use the expensive ones etc. When I have guests over I use the linen napkins instead of paper. So my suggestion is to use them to spruce things up occasionnally.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 01:41:32 PM by Plina »

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4677 on: February 03, 2021, 03:45:09 PM »
I gave a big snuffle mat to an acquaintance from the dog park who mentioned that her dog loves them. Mine doesn't and the darned thing took up valuable real estate in my little kitchen.

I'm working my way through the assorted fabrics in my linen closet and have a question for you clever folks. Can you think of any uses for formal table cloths in a home that only sees dinner parties once a decade? I've inherited several and they feel superfluous.

I'd give them away to a local Buy Nothing or similar group. I think these would be popular items, and if you are never using them, I'd want them out of my house

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4678 on: February 03, 2021, 03:56:23 PM »
Would they make good daily use napkins? Or dish towels if they are linen.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4679 on: February 03, 2021, 06:47:52 PM »
Quote from: okcisok link=topic=87194.msg2776899#msg2776899 date=1611108677

Next stop--actually drop donations off instead of driving them around town for another week!
[/quote

OK, so that was 1/19, and I just dropped off the donations on 1/31. A little over a week, but they're gone!

Helped SO clean out two trash bags of donate-able items from a cabinet. Now you can get items from it without causing a mini avalanche. His place still needs work but that's up to him with small help from me.

Found another small bag awaiting me in the kitchen when I got back from the donation drop-off. Darn. But there's still room to put more stuff in it, so I am trying to fill it up.

Still taking care of mail when it comes in. Either acted on or straight into recycling.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4680 on: February 03, 2021, 10:14:36 PM »
Well, this is very interesting! Seems the objective is to reuse your cardboard boxes by filling them with clothes or other useful household items. You can print a FREE label and either take the box to the shipping company or have them pick it up at your house! The boxes are sent to various charities. If you wish to send to a specific charity, you pay the shipping. Otherwise, shipping is free. Check it out!

https://www.givebackbox.com/faq#

This may come in handy soon, as I'm moving and will eventually have extra boxes, thanks!

crocheted_stache

• Stubble
« Reply #4681 on: February 03, 2021, 10:32:26 PM »
Discovered I had two copies of the identical 1980-ish Sunset book about patio and deck designs. Oops.

Also discovered one area charity that's open for donations, even if it's not my favorite. Time to go unload a year's worth of stuff that's been piling up in bags.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4682 on: February 04, 2021, 08:31:16 AM »
-Got rid of roll of 25-30 feet of brown wrapping paper on Buy Nothing. (Someone is moving)
-Have takers for our old Rainbow Loom stuff. There's so much of it. Thrilled to get it out of the garage
-Discovered three things in the kids room that can be returned to Costco. (Ski stuff, unused with tags. We won't ski this year, and they will outgrow before next season).
-Went through our medicine cabinet. Tossed some expired stuff
-My husband briefly gave me the green light to go through his closet. He's now almost revoked that, because I've discovered he has 18 of the same type of shirts. This is no joke. I did manage to gather a bunch of stuff to donate or sell, while i had my chance. I need to go slowly, so he agrees to have me continue.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4683 on: February 04, 2021, 07:51:45 PM »

Make a snuffle mat?  LOL

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4684 on: February 05, 2021, 09:34:07 AM »
One paperback out of the house to a Paperback Swap recipient.

Fulfilled several in search of posts on Buy Nothing.  Sometimes it takes knowing a neighbor would use the item to give me the nudge to rehome it.  I gave away a pile of adult clothes, toddler snow pants, and a muffin tin (I had 3!).  I find meeting a specific need more fulfilling as the gifter because sometimes when you post a giveaway it's just a pile of "Interested" and no real context.

I also did a bunch of organizing in the kids' room.  DD has a very hard time parting with things, but I need everything corralled for my sanity.  Interestingly, once everything was off the floor and in containers, only a select few toys are actually being played with.  I figure I can rotate which bins are most accessible so things get played with.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4685 on: February 05, 2021, 09:38:33 AM »

Depending on the fabric and the size, many tablecloths actually make great babywearing wraps.  One of my most versatile wraps is half a 60"x120" tablecloth.

http://wiki.babywearingdiy.com/do/view/Main/TableclothBabywearing#:~:text=Tablecloth%20Babywearing,of%20buying%20Colima%C3%A7on%20et%20Cie.)

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4686 on: February 05, 2021, 09:43:58 AM »
Side note to decluttering: Recently I have been finding things I either have forgotten about, or never knew I had. Example: 
I was thinking of buying a VHS tape rewinder to save my VCR motor. Well, I was looking for some cable wire under my TV table, and voila!
I found a tape rewinder.   

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4687 on: February 05, 2021, 05:05:42 PM »
Listed and almost immediately sold a paper shredder.  It’s still a mystery to me what non-furniture things will actually sell on Marketplace.

Blissful Biker

• Bristles
« Reply #4688 on: February 05, 2021, 06:24:01 PM »
I want to get rid of my yearbooks and looked to see if the pdfs would be available on line.  No dice unfortunately.  I bet that's the way of the future though. 

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4689 on: February 05, 2021, 07:08:21 PM »
@Blissful Biker if you hear of a service that converts them, I'd be interested!

Today found the source of the larvae that have been appearing on the kitchen ceiling on and off: an open bag of cornmeal and an open bag of oatmeal. Also tossed an open box of breadcrumbs without checking because it was old. Ick. But the kitchen is more sanitary now.

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #4690 on: February 05, 2021, 08:31:04 PM »
I do a whole home declutter just about once a quarter because I live in a small space and it fills up quickly. Also I am planning a move next year and looking at things I haven't used since the pandemic began and evaluating their utility in the next year. Today I got rid of some makeup, pajamas, and a set of 4 bowls. I'm considering getting rid of some of the outdoor furniture on my balcony.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4691 on: February 06, 2021, 07:43:22 AM »
My library is now accepting donations again, and I dropped off a nice heavy bag of 5 books yesterday.  More space in the house now. I had been undecided about keeping or donating these books for a while. I do not miss them. Glad they're gone.

draco44

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4692 on: February 06, 2021, 08:49:53 AM »
I want to get rid of my yearbooks and looked to see if the pdfs would be available on line.  No dice unfortunately.  I bet that's the way of the future though.

If you reach a point where you're willing to give them away without having an electronic backup, I once donated mine to a local history museum's collection. It only works if you are the first one to offer donating a particular year's book, however.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4693 on: February 06, 2021, 10:35:35 AM »
If anyone needs more motivation to keep decluttering, here's some:  a local man just died in his house when he couldn't get out when it caught fire, because of his hoard.  Lots of papers and cardboard apparently.  He came to the window on the second floor where neighbours were urging him to jump, then left the window and wasn't seen again.  So bloody unnecessary.  So keep at it, everyone!

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4694 on: February 06, 2021, 11:52:54 AM »
I was looking for my silicone muffin tin yesterday, and ended up pulling everything out of that cabinet and tidying it up. Put two mini-muffin tins and one regular size in the give away box. Other than that not much de-cluttering happening lately as work is starting to get busy again.

I do need to list two kitchen stools, but it is snowing and too cold out for porch pick up, so I might just stick them in the garage for now until it is nicer out. I do want them out of my entry way asap.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4695 on: February 06, 2021, 05:07:01 PM »
-Sold another item on eBay
-Went through a variety of closets & found 5 more items to sell or donate

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4696 on: February 06, 2021, 07:28:46 PM »
Went through the kitchen cabinets yet again, and finally took out some pots, pans, and bakeware I'm never going to use, so will sell/donate.  Also threw out some bakeware that's seen better days.  Threw out some old loose teas.  Took everything off the fridge - put magnets in a baggie to be moved, and photos in an album.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4697 on: February 07, 2021, 05:58:44 AM »
I'm doing a refresh of bedroom decor. It is currently also my office and I am sick of looking at it. So a few things went out:
-two cheap Ikea prints in frames (Buy nothing)
-two end tables that are going to leave the bedroom for awhile while I think about if I am temporarily tired of them or permanently tired of them haha. A couple flimsy/small tray tables will temporarily replace them in the bedroom while I ponder.

I will also be painting a wall a new color and I might swap the living room and bedroom lamps for some wild excitement in my life.

Other things going out:
-a hanging calendar the kids no longer use
-a too small winter coat (swapping for homemade crackers with a neighbor, I am the clear winner in this trade!)
-2 not nonstick frying pans, swapping for one that is actually nonstick!

I bought DS two small bins to store projects in. He has been working on electrical projects that he has lots of bits and pieces for, which get spread everywhere. I told him he could have each container of he gets rid of three things. So far he has claimed the first one, releasing 2 birthday decorations and a chapstick holder thing. This appears to be a good method for him. He likes to keep things "just in case" but then doesn't keep things organized and can't find it when he needs it. But when properly motivated he will make a trade.

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #4698 on: February 07, 2021, 09:17:52 AM »
If anyone needs more motivation to keep decluttering, here's some:  a local man just died in his house when he couldn't get out when it caught fire, because of his hoard.  Lots of papers and cardboard apparently.  He came to the window on the second floor where neighbours were urging him to jump, then left the window and wasn't seen again.  So bloody unnecessary.  So keep at it, everyone!

If anyone needs a new Youtube series to follow: Curiosity Inc just took on their second hoarder home. There's a whole series on Youtube under the name Musician's House. The old lady used to be a piano teacher but turns out... a millionaire. She inherited a ton of stuff from her parents (her father was a famous tailor). She apparently loved jewelry and fashion, because the house was full of it. The house has been cleared now, the first auction (jewelry) brought a whopping 285,000 CAD and the second (household stuff) 90,000 CAD. Third auction (misc items and some jewelry) is next Saturday.

This is the first video of that series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQnKYVUArIo

Alex Archbold, the guy behind Curiosity Inc, is a genuinely good egg. He's very respectful to the people who hoarded and always makes sure to do a little background on them as people, not as hoarders. Highly, highly recommend the first house he did too: the Potter's House.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4699 on: February 07, 2021, 01:19:51 PM »
Another kitchen cabinet person here!  For some reason I noticed all the mystery stuff in the back 3 feet of one of the cabinets under the kitchen counter. Sigh. A whole bunch of decisions to make. What a pain. Oh well, just do it. It's not that big a deal, right? 

And look! There's a bunch of plastic lids. And some empty glass jars. Easy stuff. Recycle them, and put a few of the nicer glass jars into the jar box! 

I made myself take one side out first, and just look at it all. Feeling like I was doing something wrong, but hey, you're just crazy, accept it, this will always feel wrong, even though it's right. Just do it. It's right. Keep going.

End result was I filled up a big recycling container with glass and plastic stuff, and moved a bunch of sellable stuff to the flea market pile. And even threw out some stuff that was just way too far gone. Like three jars of French powdered mustard
whose metal lids had actually rusted through. Wow. Don't want to be eating flaked lid metal, so those were easy to throw out.

The cabinet is almost empty now. Yay. And I found some neat stuff I didn't even know I had, like an electric  mixer, and some other neat cooking tools, that I can make use of.