Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1249153 times)

draco44

• Pencil Stache
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #4950 on: April 02, 2021, 07:45:24 PM »
@mspym that's great that your own decluttering efforts inspired Ofpym to let some stuff go too. So satisfying when that happens.

And congrats @lazycow on your huge progress this past month. 300 items! I agree with your sentiment that making space now creates space (mental and physical) later for new adventures and for truly enjoying your relaxation time.

As for myself, a while ago I accidentally ordered two rather than one copies of a book. The cost of each book was small, so I procrastinated with all these vague aspirational "I'll give the spare to a friend and we'll have a virtual book club!" type ideas, but today I got real that I wasn't going to do that (and if I did, I'd want to mutually pick a book with someone). I initiated the return process for the spare, and sent it off today for a refund.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #4951 on: April 02, 2021, 09:55:02 PM »
Looking forward to the dump day in my township next weekend... I’ve never partaken before, but this is the year! Got a big pile I’m gathering in the basement for the trip over so we are good to go when the time comes.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4952 on: April 03, 2021, 02:47:17 AM »
I packed away the winter clothes today and took out the summer stuff. In the process, I filled a large bag with clothing to be donated. Then I cleaned out our storage room and filled two bags of trash. I also posted a few old toys online to give away.

It’s been a productive day.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4953 on: April 03, 2021, 08:00:49 AM »
I sold four pieces of crystal over the last week to the same buyer (FB) after realizing we never use anything like this, even when entertaining. It's great to have them out of the house, and into the hands of people who will enjoy them.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4954 on: April 03, 2021, 08:40:54 AM »
A question for you guys selling on Facebook Marketplace.

How can I sign up for a Facebook account with a maximum of privacy, just to sell stuff? 

I don't want people to come from everywhere and contact me  when they see I am 'on Facebook'.   

Thanks   

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4955 on: April 03, 2021, 08:48:02 AM »
@slackmax - I'd use a profile picture that's not you (flower, plant, etc) & then not use your actual name for the FB registration. I haven't tried this myself, but assume it would work. (I have an actual FB profile that I don't use much.) Another option is to just dial the privacy settings all the way up, so other people can't see anything. Again, haven't played with this myself, but I know there are a variety of settings.

Dogastrophe

• Bristles
« Reply #4956 on: April 03, 2021, 11:12:45 AM »
Gave away a couple of books, donating two bags of clothes, and sold two lawn chairs this morning ... but we also bought two more comfortable lawn chairs

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #4957 on: April 03, 2021, 02:45:26 PM »
Finally took two bags to goodwill that have been sitting in our spare room since...before the pandemic. (Don't have a car, so all goodwill trips involve public transit and get regularly procrastinated, even without pandemic-related closures.)

I also took the opportunity to deep clean the spare room, which felt just as good as decluttering. I guess I decluttered lots of dust?

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4958 on: April 03, 2021, 05:03:17 PM »
My cat has a Facebook account.  I don't.  That was how I maintain my privacy.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #4959 on: April 03, 2021, 06:06:35 PM »
Passed on a half dozen or so masks that don't fit me well to others who they might fit better.

Returned library books, but didn't pick up any more.

Passed on some cat treats that Mr. Kitty turned his nose up to, to a friend with multiple cats. Maybe one of hers will like them.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4960 on: April 04, 2021, 05:46:01 AM »
Decided to give up my camping gear - tent, two sleeping bags, and a sleeping pad.  Very bulky stuff to store, and I've reluctantly come to the conclusion that we're not camping people anymore.  Hiking yes, sleeping on the ground, no.  So the tent and such can go.  I brought it up to put in the donate pile, and my SIL spotted it and asked to have a few things.  I said of course, gets it out of the house faster and prevents her needing to buy one.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4961 on: April 04, 2021, 08:53:32 AM »
MaybeBabyMustache and Shadowmoss,

Thanks for your replies !  :)

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4962 on: April 04, 2021, 09:56:48 AM »
Recycled a pound or two of old paper documentation from my IT days.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4963 on: April 04, 2021, 10:25:54 PM »
Gave away my hopefully last batch of boxes and packing material from moving.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4964 on: April 05, 2021, 01:10:17 PM »
@slackmax - I'd use a profile picture that's not you (flower, plant, etc) & then not use your actual name for the FB registration. I haven't tried this myself, but assume it would work. (I have an actual FB profile that I don't use much.) Another option is to just dial the privacy settings all the way up, so other people can't see anything. Again, haven't played with this myself, but I know there are a variety of settings.

I never got the chance to submit a picture of anything.

I went into Facebook, 'create new account', and entered name, email, password, birthday, and sex.

Did everything the right way (except my new alias, and new birthday, ha ha) and I kept getting a message 'error with registration information. Please try again' or something like that.  The email address I entered exists and is usable. The password is entered meets their criteria.

Of course the error message didn't tell me anything specific or useful, and didn't mention any specific field that was wrong.

Maybe Facebook doesn't want any more users, whether fake or real?

Spent an hour at 2 different computers, trying this and that. No dice.

Might be stuck with Craigslist !  lol. 

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4965 on: April 05, 2021, 01:43:21 PM »
FWIW I wouldn't buy from someone with a faux facebook profile, especially if they had no friends.  It would read as sketchy and not worth my time.  Maybe it's different in larger metro areas. I live in a very small town and very rarely run across someone I don't have mutual friends with, I use that info to vet people a bit when buying on facebook marketplace.

-----

Trying to practice In & Out here.  I bought some replacement reusable straws for our water tumblers and made myself promptly toss the old straws. That lead me to donating some rarely used stainless straws as well.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4966 on: April 05, 2021, 08:05:05 PM »
FWIW I wouldn't buy from someone with a faux facebook profile, especially if they had no friends.  It would read as sketchy and not worth my time.  Maybe it's different in larger metro areas. I live in a very small town and very rarely run across someone I don't have mutual friends with, I use that info to vet people a bit when buying on facebook marketplace.

-----

Trying to practice In & Out here.  I bought some replacement reusable straws for our water tumblers and made myself promptly toss the old straws. That lead me to donating some rarely used stainless straws as well.

I intentionally hide my sales (there's an option on FB marketplace) from friends to avoid spamming them, & have never sold to anyone I know/or have friends who know. I live in the bay area I've never used mutual friends as a reference when buying/selling on FB

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #4967 on: April 05, 2021, 08:50:16 PM »

-----

I intentionally hide my sales (there's an option on FB marketplace) from friends to avoid spamming them, & have never sold to anyone I know/or have friends who know. I live in the bay area I've never used mutual friends as a reference when buying/selling on FB

I don't use Marketplace because the people are so flaky, I use Buy/Sell groups and unfortunately you can't hide from friends. Someone said to me once she's fascinated and thinks what on earth will she sell next? :/ That's when I was doing rubbish clearance and had some v weird stuff!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4968 on: April 05, 2021, 09:08:09 PM »
@Fresh Bread - that only happens when you & your friend are both in the same group, correct? I do see that in the Buy Nothing group, as a few friends are members. But, I've never had that happen in another resale group, as none of my friends are a part of it, and it's private.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4969 on: April 05, 2021, 09:12:32 PM »
@Fresh Bread - that only happens when you & your friend are both in the same group, correct? I do see that in the Buy Nothing group, as a few friends are members. But, I've never had that happen in another resale group, as none of my friends are a part of it, and it's private.

I think generally they are in the group, but I do see friends' sale posts in the UK sometimes (I'm in Australia) so that's weird! I did go through a period of selling wedding presents so hopefully they didn't see or weren't too upset :D

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4970 on: April 06, 2021, 04:17:40 AM »
Gave away a big bag of clothes.

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #4971 on: April 06, 2021, 05:44:05 AM »
Had to file 2 sheets of paper. When taking the files from the cabinet, went through the files and could throw away multiple documents. 2 sheets in - 50 (or so) out..... This was a good one. I think I will do more of those exercises when I need to file and it only took 5 minutes!

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4972 on: April 06, 2021, 11:24:40 AM »
To avoid deciding what to declutter today, I cleaned some grimy corners on the kitchen cabinets and bathroom door.

To do so, I used a few drops of the Murphy's Oil Soap gallon jug that is almost empty, and cracked on the bottom. And some water. 

Since I was having so much fun avoiding clutter decisions, I also drained the remaining oil soap out of the gallon jug into a small jar I got out of my box-o-jars box which I created a month ago.   

Now I can declutter the big ugly empty gallon jug ! 

And I have clean cabinets and a clean door.

Two-for-one special. Whoot.

As a bonus, I'm going to take over a bag of stuff I already decided about, to the Salvation Army.

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #4973 on: April 06, 2021, 02:10:57 PM »
Filled two paper bags with kids clothing, knocked on neighbours door and asked if she wanted to take a look for her grandchildren, she was very happy. I warned her some was quite worn and she could just put anything they didn't want outside my door and I will deal with it. But some was also very nice, like kids jeans in very good condition and some play/dress up clothing they may like.
This is amazing - I have a private drop off place for kids clothing just a few metres away :-). Since I have two growing boys, this is the main category I can get rid off, and I know she is happy I when ask (she is also very clear if there is anything they don't want or don't need so that feels really good).

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4974 on: April 06, 2021, 07:17:24 PM »
@Car Jack - used Decluttr today, & I liked it. I was able to add an old iPod, to hit the minimum & the tech requirement, but I'm not sure I have other tech to add. Maybe this will lead to creativity & additional decluttering. :-)

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4975 on: April 06, 2021, 10:59:01 PM »
Found 3 more things to go to the thrift shop! I thought last week's trip was the last. Apparently not.

Two fit in my trunk, but that is now full. The third will sit in the house until the day of drop off.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4976 on: April 07, 2021, 04:26:51 AM »
Using up some toiletries this week!  Toiletries are my weakness. My linen closet where the majority of my toiletries reside has been temporarily fixed.  Bifold doors are annoying, I need to remember this for future residences.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #4977 on: April 07, 2021, 07:26:50 AM »
Down to the last few unwanted items in the house. I have now been through every room and every shelf, cupboard, cabinet and drawer. This is the culmination of over 10 years of gradual decluttering. It feels bloody fantastic!

- 2 water glasses we don't use
- planter pot in a violent shade of yellow (all my indoor planter pots are wicker, or white)
- wooden photo frame, all to the local op shop

- pair of daughter's shorts to textile recycling, as they had a broken zip and were too big for her

- 2 old towels,  donated to local vet's

The next stage will be attacking the big garden. Lots of underperforming plants and weeds to get rid of. I need to think about how to streamline the actual work in the garden so I can spend more time relaxing and enjoying it.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4978 on: April 07, 2021, 08:29:23 AM »
Wow, @lazycow - that is amazing, and you are definitely defying your user name. :-) Well done!

I unearthed my husband's movie collection, that's been in boxes for the last 9+ years. If Decluttr will accept any of it, I'm getting it out of the house. If not, I'll donate it or give it away on Buy Nothing.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4979 on: April 07, 2021, 09:42:42 AM »
Got rid of a high chair and a box full of baby clothes.  Kid stuff is infinitely easier to get rid of than my own clothing, there's no way they'll ever fit back into the smaller sizes, haha.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4980 on: April 07, 2021, 03:24:30 PM »
Y'all, I finished moving and I still have way too much stuff!  Threw a lot in the trash/donation box during the move, but there is still too much to fit in my new space.  Luckily the kitchen is pretty much sorted after 2 nights of work, but over the next few weeks I need to concentrate on clothing and artwork.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4981 on: April 07, 2021, 05:42:28 PM »
@lazycow huge congrats!

@NotJen that is what I just went through/am going through. Amazing how your attitude on any particular item changes once you get to the new space.

Found 3 more things to go to the thrift shop! I thought last week's trip was the last. Apparently not.

Two fit in my trunk, but that is now full. The third will sit in the house until the day of drop off.

Four MORE things found! They are smaller, so fit in the trunk. Can't wait for donations to open up!!

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4982 on: April 07, 2021, 08:49:41 PM »
A friend mailed a box of books. I want to read them all, so I promptly filled the same box with books I was done with and sent it to her the next day.

I really need to finish my taxes so that I can digitize and shred the rest of the paperwork.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4983 on: April 08, 2021, 01:54:34 AM »
A friend mailed a box of books. I want to read them all, so I promptly filled the same box with books I was done with and sent it to her the next day.
Nice! That sounds like a delightful parcel to get.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #4984 on: April 08, 2021, 04:46:47 AM »
Thanks @oneday and @MaybeBabyMustache! You are both doing brilliantly too.

It is so weird to be *done* for the time being (my son finishes high school at the end of the year and may move out with friends so that will be the next big purge). I am having a low-buy year, and questioning every non-essential purchase I make (so far I have not even bought one single book in 3 months, which is unheard of for me). I am not researching stuff I think I might need or want for hours on end on the Internet. It has provided me with more mental space to pursue my hobbies (knitting, crocheting, gardening, yoga, walking) and time to reconnect with old friends. Highly recommend it!!

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4985 on: April 08, 2021, 08:54:37 AM »
@Car Jack - used Decluttr today, & I liked it. I was able to add an old iPod, to hit the minimum & the tech requirement, but I'm not sure I have other tech to add. Maybe this will lead to creativity & additional decluttering. :-)

I've been holding off before reporting again.  Thus far, I've shipped 4 orders.  2 payments have hit my checking account.  On this 4th order that I dropped off this morning, I decided to do books.  Well, I didn't realize that there is a minimum of $5.  Oops.  That would be a wicked heavy box at an average of a quarter a book.  So I re-did that, going through more CDs and DVDs and finding smaller books.  I am certainly not going to get rich, but I would much rather sell my junk than throw it in the trash.  I still have a pile of DVDs out of cases and a box of cases that I'll need to put together and there are books all over.  I'm pretty happy with this app.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4986 on: April 08, 2021, 10:22:39 PM »
A week later we are almost done. I have packed a ton of his stuff, we put tons of free stuff outside that people took, 2 big trailers to the dump and hired the neighbor teen 4 days to help.  None of this crap was mine but it was my problem because it has to be gone by the 16th. It finally looks like we will make it. I am exhausted.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4987 on: April 08, 2021, 10:59:07 PM »
A week later we are almost done. I have packed a ton of his stuff, we put tons of free stuff outside that people took, 2 big trailers to the dump and hired the neighbor teen 4 days to help.  None of this crap was mine but it was my problem because it has to be gone by the 16th. It finally looks like we will make it. I am exhausted.

Wow, that is quite a lot of work that you have done! I hope you get what you want out of it.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4988 on: April 09, 2021, 05:20:37 AM »
After a big of a hiatus, I finally got motivated to take 3 boxes of random stuff to the donation centre. The house is much improved, most things left to do now will take time and focus.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4989 on: April 09, 2021, 11:28:49 AM »
Good going @happy !

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #4990 on: April 09, 2021, 04:31:21 PM »
Fabulous @Cassie ! Only 6 days to go till you can relax in a clutter-free space. My sister has been through several divorces/changes of partner and she sheds more and more stuff each time, to the point where she is now ready to buy her own little place for just her own curated, lovely, possessions.

Found 2 more books from my Unread bookshelf I have no interest in reading so they will go to the op shop. One was passed on to me from a friend and I was too polite to decline and the other had been sitting there for 10 (!) years and I kept passing over it. I keep around 50 unread books at all times (a lot are older, or out of print), in case of a, you know, zombie apocolypse or pandemic. It came in very handy last year, as I am a super-fast reader and regular re-reader, and current release library books just don't do it for me as I am much pickier over what I read.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4991 on: April 09, 2021, 07:08:48 PM »
Donations were open today, hooray! Gave a whole car trunk full of stuff, gone forever. I'm already starting to forget what was in there.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4992 on: April 09, 2021, 10:21:00 PM »
I have *finally* finished decluttering a set of drawers on wheels in the garage. They were previously the junk drawers in the kitchen at our old place. The small amount of things being kept have other homes with their kin, and I've converted the drawers into a sorting / holding area for the recycling that needs to be taken somewhere eg batteries.

There's a charity here that wants bottle tops but preferably sorted by colour, so I'm setting up containers to do that! Ditto bread tags.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4993 on: April 09, 2021, 11:01:45 PM »
Lazy cow, I wish relaxing was in the cards but this house is sold and my son and I have 10 days to remodel my condo before the movers come for my stuff. The buyers of the house are letting me stay for a little while.  This type of stuff was easier when I was younger:)).

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4994 on: April 10, 2021, 02:38:01 AM »
Lazy cow, I wish relaxing was in the cards but this house is sold and my son and I have 10 days to remodel my condo before the movers come for my stuff. The buyers of the house are letting me stay for a little while.  This type of stuff was easier when I was younger:)).

Bummer, the pressure is building...you can do it!

Good job @One Day!

I'm gobsmacked with your attention to detail @Fresh Bread. Bottle tops can go in the recycling at my place and do so straight away. I don't buy much bread, so the occasional bread tag goes to landfill /hangs head in shame.

draco44

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4995 on: April 10, 2021, 11:13:47 AM »
There's a charity here that wants bottle tops but preferably sorted by colour, so I'm setting up containers to do that! Ditto bread tags.

This is great. I appreciate when people find and donate to organizations that want small bits-and-bobs that might not be recyclable.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4996 on: April 10, 2021, 03:09:57 PM »
Is there a charity that wants socks?   Like, socks that are annoying to wear? 

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4997 on: April 10, 2021, 03:43:18 PM »

This is great. I appreciate when people find and donate to organizations that want small bits-and-bobs that might not be recyclable.

I'll see how it goes. As far as I can make out, the tops go to an artist to make fruit bowls and coasters and he donates money to charity when they are sold. Other people are also making similar things - but there's a limit to how many of those the world needs. I don't know if any large recyclers are doing anything with HDPE.

I'm also collecting things for TerraCycle via a drop off point - pill packets, toothpaste tubes, contact lens packaging.

draco44

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4998 on: April 10, 2021, 03:52:50 PM »

I'll see how it goes. As far as I can make out, the tops go to an artist to make fruit bowls and coasters and he donates money to charity when they are sold. Other people are also making similar things - but there's a limit to how many of those the world needs. I don't know if any large recyclers are doing anything with HDPE.

I'm also collecting things for TerraCycle via a drop off point - pill packets, toothpaste tubes, contact lens packaging.

That's true that efforts like this are a mixed bag. I support recycling and people getting creative with reusing "trash" as art supplies, but yes, ultimately we should just be generating less waste in the first place, and designing products so they don't ultimately end up in a landfill. I'm sure the fruit bowls look nice and I am happy to see the caps get reused. But I also know that I at least don't need another bowl or coaster.

draco44

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4999 on: April 10, 2021, 04:28:59 PM »
Is there a charity that wants socks?   Like, socks that are annoying to wear?

I have thoughts on this. First, your answer will depend on your location, the condition of the socks, and possibly their fiber content. If the socks are in good condition and you want to go the "art supply" route of reuse, there may be a school or parent in your area who wants to make sock puppets. And if you have a pure wool sock full of holes, you could in theory just compost it if can't be darned anymore. Or use it as fire starter.

But most socks today are some blend of cotton and non-natural fibers, or made of all synthetic fibers. These materials are very difficult to reprocess back into new clothing. Plenty of places will accept socks as a part of generalized textile waste donation stream, like Terracycle or Simple Recycling or even some fast fashion stores like H&M that are trying to improve their public image and have drop boxes. Understand that those programs don't typically use the material to make new clothing. At this point at least most textile waste with a synthetic or blended content will be washed and shredded for use for things like insulation and stuffing car seats cushions. That's all well and good, but it's downcycling, not true product-to-product recycling.

Of the general takeback programs, I personally trust Terracycle's waste management more than the clothing stores, but that's just me. But remember that you don't have to buy anything from a store if you go to drop off donations, and any brand of textile waste is typically accepted (note - I hear H&M suspended their recycling program during the pandemic). There may also be locally-run textile recycling operation in your are that's good.

If you want the socks to be reused as a sock rather than processed as textile waste for recycling, it's much harder to find somewhere to send them. I've heard of a group in the UK called the London Sock Exchange that takes gently used socks. The Odd-Sox Project in Canada is another. You could also try posting an offer of socks in your local Buy Nothing group.

Don't donate socks to small charity/thrift shops unless they are clearly new with packaging; they don't have the infrastructure to do anything but throw used socks out. I've heard mixed things about how the bigger operations like Goodwill process textile donations. I think it varies by location how nuanced they can be in redirecting textile waste for recycling.