Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1249384 times)

mspym

• Walrus Stache
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #4900 on: March 23, 2021, 03:59:24 PM »
A great video from one of my favourite YT minimalists  - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDwZ64IglXQ

Her approach is like Midwest Marie Kondo (not that she knows it) and her wardrobe planning is not officially Capsule but is strongly aligned with Anushka Rees' Curated Closet.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4901 on: March 23, 2021, 08:00:32 PM »
I *knew* you were describing Dawn! I love her channel and have been watching it for months. She is extremely motivating to me.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4902 on: March 24, 2021, 06:15:42 AM »
Perhaps I phrased it poorly by using the word habit. I was thinking about habit broadly- but maybe a better phrasing would be "life circumstances".

I got rid of quite a few things last weekend! Did a nice closet sweep, and I feel better afterwards. The main culprits were clothes from work. They all have to be ordered online and the sizing is unpredictable. My boss just gave me two new shirts. One is too small, one is too large. Both are supposedly size L. Neither can be returned. Ugh. I will put them out for free to coworkers but it is a bit touchy because they were a gift from my boss.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4903 on: March 24, 2021, 09:48:41 AM »
Perhaps I phrased it poorly by using the word habit. I was thinking about habit broadly- but maybe a better phrasing would be "life circumstances".

I got rid of quite a few things last weekend! Did a nice closet sweep, and I feel better afterwards. The main culprits were clothes from work. They all have to be ordered online and the sizing is unpredictable. My boss just gave me two new shirts. One is too small, one is too large. Both are supposedly size L. Neither can be returned. Ugh. I will put them out for free to coworkers but it is a bit touchy because they were a gift from my boss.

Go to your boss first and say something like, "I love the shirts you gave me, but unfortunately the manufacturer's sizing is inconsistent and they don't fit.  I'd like someone else to enjoy them though, so do you mind if I offer them to others?"  As long as you put a positive spin on it, I can't see him/her being offended.  Unless they are very thin skinned.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4904 on: March 24, 2021, 10:17:14 AM »
@SunnyDays, great suggestion!

Lately:
~Over the past week I've used up the tiny bit of makeup in two different bottles using a makeup brush, the remaining bit of a hand soap bottle, and a bottle each of detergent and bleach.
~I've continued to post over on the eat all of the food in your house MMM thread.
~We were given a gift card for a new dishwasher, which meant we had to clear out the sink cabinet.  I tossed several things, will give away a few other things, and I'll corral the rag pile into a box.
~DH broke down a dilapidated shed from our land and used the metal siding as a privacy fence around half of the enclosed garden.  This way he can garden this summer without people driving by staring at him.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4905 on: March 24, 2021, 11:26:44 AM »

Go to your boss first and say something like, "I love the shirts you gave me, but unfortunately the manufacturer's sizing is inconsistent and they don't fit.  I'd like someone else to enjoy them though, so do you mind if I offer them to others?"  As long as you put a positive spin on it, I can't see him/her being offended.  Unless they are very thin skinned.
You could also frame it as a request for a swap - I love these shirts but the sizes are a bit odd, can anyone do a swap with me?"

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4906 on: March 24, 2021, 12:32:37 PM »
Watching her videos is helping me.  I just donated most of the stuff I had bought for our vow renewal , which didn’t happen bc of Covid.  I kept thinking I should wait until people were having weddings again and sell it.  But I hate selling things, I would much rather just put them back into the world, and let the charity that runs the thrift store have that money.  I donated approx $400 (when bought new) table cloths, runners, centerpieces, things to make invitations.
I tried to donate my wedding dress, but at the last minute I decided to keep it - I may try to dye it and use it as a dress for a Mardi Gras ball.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4907 on: March 24, 2021, 12:41:39 PM »
I tried to donate my wedding dress, but at the last minute I decided to keep it - I may try to dye it and use it as a dress for a Mardi Gras ball.

I finally donated my wedding dress with a bunch of clothes a few months ago (after having been divorced for over 10 years).  I don't know why I kept it so long - it was from a department store and pretty hideous.  I'm hoping someone makes a costume out of it!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4908 on: March 24, 2021, 06:52:35 PM »

I finally donated my wedding dress with a bunch of clothes a few months ago (after having been divorced for over 10 years).  I don't know why I kept it so long - it was from a department store and pretty hideous.  I'm hoping someone makes a costume out of it!

It took me downsizing from my house to an apartment to donate my wedding dress.  I'd been separated/divorced 10 years by then!  I still have my wedding and engagement rings, they just sit in the box.  At least they take up less space.  ;-)

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4909 on: March 25, 2021, 06:44:44 AM »

It took me downsizing from my house to an apartment to donate my wedding dress.  I'd been separated/divorced 10 years by then!  I still have my wedding and engagement rings, they just sit in the box.  At least they take up less space.  ;-)

Mine was red and is currently hanging out in the cargo area of my car.  I've been thinking of having it turned into a xmas tree skirt.

crowinghen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4910 on: March 25, 2021, 01:14:59 PM »

[/quote]

Mine was red and is currently hanging out in the cargo area of my car.  I've been thinking of having it turned into a xmas tree skirt.
[/quote]

Great idea!

crowinghen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4911 on: March 25, 2021, 01:16:41 PM »
we are getting ready to move/downsize- lots of stuff to get rid of!
today I'm giving away a bunch of glassware and a griddle- I post on the buy nothing FB page that is local, at least i know someone who wants it is getting it, and I don't have to go through the hassle of trying to donate or sell stuff!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #4912 on: March 25, 2021, 07:40:12 PM »
Yesterday, gave a literal carload of boxes and packing material to a Craigslist stranger. Almost all boxes are now unpacked. Many of the remaining things needing homes are storage bins and baskets from the prior apartment that may or may not prove to be useful here. I vow not to keep any useless ones.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4913 on: March 27, 2021, 08:02:48 AM »
Yesterday, gave a literal carload of boxes and packing material to a Craigslist stranger. Almost all boxes are now unpacked. Many of the remaining things needing homes are storage bins and baskets from the prior apartment that may or may not prove to be useful here. I vow not to keep any useless ones.

We have about 10 big tubs in our garage, all empty, from when we moved here. Our house has closets so now we don't need them, hallelujah! But I have a kid leaving for college in 5 years. So I've been debating getting rid of them now or just let them sit in the corner of the garage. I also use them in the garden and break them occasionally so I am leaning towards holding onto them. Probably silly.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4914 on: March 27, 2021, 09:28:52 AM »

We have about 10 big tubs in our garage, all empty, from when we moved here. Our house has closets so now we don't need them, hallelujah! But I have a kid leaving for college in 5 years. So I've been debating getting rid of them now or just let them sit in the corner of the garage. I also use them in the garden and break them occasionally so I am leaning towards holding onto them. Probably silly.

I vote for keeping them, especially if they can be stacked inside one another. Plus, when one breaks you can be happy to get rid of it, not sad, lol.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4915 on: March 27, 2021, 02:18:03 PM »

I would hold on to two, to cover potential breakage, and give the rest away. Let them be used by someone. You can get some more from a stranger if and when you need them.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4916 on: March 27, 2021, 11:25:15 PM »

I would hold on to two, to cover potential breakage, and give the rest away. Let them be used by someone. You can get some more from a stranger if and when you need them.

Totes.

I mean, I agree. Yes, store them on Craigslist (if that is an option for you).

Declutter fail yesterday. Drove 15 minutes to give some stuff away, and the recipient had their door closed, garden gate locked, and not responding to emails. Boo. Tried to reschedule for tomorrow, but still no response. This was the first flaky person in my last score of CL encounters. Item is relisted; if the original person comes through, even better.

And got some interest in a futon (frame only) that's been lingering in the carport for a month. They said they would get back to me in a few days, but not holding my breath. BF and I were just contemplating alternative disposal methods, so this would be a money savings if it happens. 🤞

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #4917 on: March 28, 2021, 02:40:25 AM »
Sold some shoe racks, yay! I had replaced them earlier in the week for a shoe rack / coat stand combo thing. Now we can hang coats, shopping bags and dog leads in the garage instead of dumping them on top of the shoes. Looks so much neater.

I've got a little craft area going on in the laundry area of the garage. I might put a bit of pegboard on the wall and make it official.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4918 on: March 28, 2021, 11:27:11 AM »
After Fridays fail, today the thing went to someone else who was mighty grateful. That felt good.

And there was interest in a futon frame that's been lingering for a month. Hopefully it will be gone soon.

Edit: the futon is gone, woo!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 11:50:09 AM by oneday »

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4919 on: March 28, 2021, 12:43:42 PM »
Way to go, Oneday !

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4920 on: March 28, 2021, 01:06:01 PM »
I think we're just slightly messy people. We also use all of our house. That whole empty minimalist look just isn't going to happen for us.  We cook, bake, sew, garden, work from home, read, camp, ride bikes, have pets, have friends...

So I guess I'm so working on coming to a balance between what I imagine our house should look like, and what is feasible and then what is comfortable.  How do we want to spend our time?

All that to say, I took a couple little things to goodwill, I sold another little item on ebay.  I finished a couple projects. And the house is still lived in and a bit disheveled... and... that's ok. 

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4921 on: March 28, 2021, 01:45:26 PM »
Way to go, Oneday !

Thanks Slackmax! We'll both just keep chugging along! :)

I think we're just slightly messy people. We also use all of our house. That whole empty minimalist look just isn't going to happen for us.  We cook, bake, sew, garden, work from home, read, camp, ride bikes, have pets, have friends...

So I guess I'm so working on coming to a balance between what I imagine our house should look like, and what is feasible and then what is comfortable.  How do we want to spend our time?

All that to say, I took a couple little things to goodwill, I sold another little item on ebay.  I finished a couple projects. And the house is still lived in and a bit disheveled... and... that's ok. 

I've struggled a long time, as well, to strike a balance. Because I'd dearly love to live in one of the beautiful minimalism blogs. But I just can't...I mean, when I leave the house I usually have two large bags of stuff! That's my realistic lifestyle. So after time, it's become clear that one key thing is having easy access to everything. Another is having certain surfaces clear. Another is not having stuff in storage that is just "storage". It needs to be reasonably used/useful. Being able to implement these principles has helped. I hope you find some principles that bring you peace in your environment.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4922 on: March 28, 2021, 03:07:36 PM »

One of the things I took from Francine Joy (Jay?) was the idea that putting things away left the space free for whatever you wanted to do next. That you were more likely to do the things you wanted to do now if you didn't have to clear away the last thing before you could. I am much more likely to sew if I don't have to clear bags and other things off my sewing table first.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #4923 on: March 28, 2021, 07:17:34 PM »

One of the things I took from Francine Joy (Jay?) was the idea that putting things away left the space free for whatever you wanted to do next. That you were more likely to do the things you wanted to do now if you didn't have to clear away the last thing before you could. I am much more likely to sew if I don't have to clear bags and other things off my sewing table first.

I have also felt calmer when the house is less messy.  We both are not natural "put-away" people, but when we work at it a bit, the house feels less "busy" to me.  We both enjoy it more even though there is no really significant change, just bare tabletops and nothing on the floor.

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #4924 on: March 29, 2021, 02:53:04 AM »
Box of books is almost empty. Hopefully this week the last few books will be taken to school (if DS and the teacher both test negative for COVID..... fingers crossed....).
The cardbord box was already used for a crafts project by DS, so this will be trashed after he is done with it (usually in 1-2 weeks).
Sold 1 book, will be in the mail today (in re-used Amazon package) and sold a lot of childrens' summer clothing that they have outgrown, which was already picked up by the buyer.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4925 on: March 29, 2021, 09:32:57 AM »

I have also felt calmer when the house is less messy.  We both are not natural "put-away" people, but when we work at it a bit, the house feels less "busy" to me.  We both enjoy it more even though there is no really significant change, just bare tabletops and nothing on the floor.

I think what I'm trying to say is that I think we've found our sweet spot.  It's not the magazine spread I envisioned, but it's pretty reasonable. A bit messy, but I'd still invite someone inside.  I'd prefer to have a few minutes warning so I could do a little clean up first, but it wouldn't stop me from having someone in. On busy weeks things pile up a bit more, but we naturally catch things up as we have time and then the clean and clutter balance out. With an intentional clean every once in a while... I think it's alright.

And of course regular maintenance of the incoming mail and randomness, and the seasonal.  And there are places in the house that could be streamlined or have more efficient furniture, but those we're waiting until the right piece come along. 

So now I've got to adjust this picture in my head to our real life and not our aspirational life and get those in harmony, and I am working through it out loud here.  In truth, the hobbies ARE a huge part of our aspirational life, it's just easy to ignore the tools and supplies that go along with those hobbies! We will always have projects in the works, and dishes in the kitchen.  Things will always be fluid. And that's ok. 

Now, if anyone has any good ideas for making cat toys look less like a mess when they are strewn all over the floor, I am all ears.  We've got a pretty basket to put them away in, but cat toys that are put away aren't doing their job, they are only effective when they are strewn about. I guess I need to add them to the picture in my head.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4926 on: March 29, 2021, 09:38:04 AM »
Looked through a closet stuffed full of clothes and found about 10 pieces I could bring myself to part with. Put them all in a big plastic bag to donate. Not expensive clothes, so no anxiety involved, no sense of loss.  Even found 5 other pieces of clothing elsewhere in the house, and put them in the bag too.

I'll take the bag to Salvation Army today, and hope they are still accepting donations, lol.   The Goodwill store here had a sign out saying 'no donations, please' last time I went there. Yikes.     

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4927 on: March 29, 2021, 10:24:14 AM »
Divorced my cheating husband and packed my stuff which all fits into 33 plastic bins plus the furniture. We sold the house and unfortunately I have to help him get rid of his crap because he doesn’t work fast enough. I packed all his inside crap. Then I hired the teen next door to empty the partial dirt basement, giant shed and garage onto the patios and yard. I filled a huge trailer for the dump in 2 days. I am 66 and my entire body hurts.  Also had a huge moving sale and sold almost everything and made 500. Put stuff out for free in front of the house and most of it is gone. Can’t wait to get this done and live in a neat condo that I bought.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4928 on: March 29, 2021, 10:52:59 AM »
@PMG, I hear you on the cat toys.  And dog toys and rawhide remnants.  If the cat toys are in their basket, they just take them out at night and the dog toys never get touched if they're in the basket, so I just compromise and sweep them into a floor pile with my foot and call it done.  You have to be realistic, right?  It's home, we live here!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4929 on: March 29, 2021, 11:01:48 AM »
@Cassie sorry about your divorce! It's too bad that the initiating partner often end up doing more than their share of the work, but it's kind of the nature of the beast. I don't regret the extra work I had to put into mine, since it got me where I wanted to be, but it still sucks. Enjoy your neat condo!!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4930 on: March 29, 2021, 01:24:51 PM »
@PMG I can cope with the dog's toys strewn about if they aren't also joined by multiple pairs of discarded shoes (boys) and/or bags (me). I'm pleased you found your sweet spot.

@Cassie I am sorry about your divorce, you are powering through like a champ and your condo is going to be so calming after this.

@slackmax Well done on the clothes. I know this isn't easy but it's impressive that you keep plugging away at this.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4931 on: March 29, 2021, 05:19:58 PM »
Sun Hat what a awesome idea! Unfortunately, he is still living here until the house closes on the 16th and won’t let anyone touch his junk.  This has cured me of ever living with someone again. I took the furniture that I came into the marriage with and we are splitting what we bought during the marriage. I own more of it than him. I only took half of the bedroom set even though it’s all mine because I don’t want it all.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4932 on: March 29, 2021, 07:14:03 PM »
Sold 2 big things today: my living room seating, and my beloved elliptical machine. 

I'm really happy the giant elliptical was successfully removed quickly after I listed it, so I don't have to worry about getting rid of it.  But it gave me a "now things are truly different" moment.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4933 on: March 29, 2021, 07:29:48 PM »
Passed on a pair of knitting needles to a friend who wanted a pair.

A friend gave me several books I've been reading. Two that I finished went to the little library. The rest will be passed on to another friend.

Got a free package of cereal at the grocery store on Sunday. Took it to the food pantry today so that I wasn't tempted.

Operation "Deal with the Mail Immediately" is going well. Important items are dealt with as soon as I get them, bills are paid immediately. Junk mail goes straight into the recycling, unless it has a return envelope that I can use to request to be removed from their mailing list.  No more sliding stacks of mail piled up on the desk.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4934 on: March 29, 2021, 10:38:22 PM »
Now, if anyone has any good ideas for making cat toys look less like a mess when they are strewn all over the floor, I am all ears.  We've got a pretty basket to put them away in, but cat toys that are put away aren't doing their job, they are only effective when they are strewn about. I guess I need to add them to the picture in my head.

I have cat. Cat has toys. Toys are part of the decor. In my case, the cat is only interested in a small number of the total toy basket, so what I've got strewn around isn't bad, but it used to be way worse. Anyone who has a problem with it isn't going to be at my house!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4935 on: March 29, 2021, 10:43:35 PM »
Read 3 books yesterday. Gave one to a neighbor with instructions NOT to give it back. The other 2 will be donated in some way as well.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4936 on: March 29, 2021, 11:41:11 PM »
Another declutter fail. The ultra-local thrift shop I wanted to donate a box of household goods to only takes donations Fridays and Saturdays. At least the box is in my car and no longer in the entry way. Will try again this weekend, I guess.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4937 on: March 30, 2021, 06:37:02 AM »
I have a decluttering - let's say "opportunity," that sounds optimistic.  My dad brought a few boxes of stuff for me when he came to visit my sister.  I haven't looked yet, but I think it's mostly books.

Not out of the house yet, but we've decided to donate my camping equipment - tent, sleeping bags, and sleeping pad.  I have come to the realization that we are not the type of people who camp anymore.  Hike yes, sleep on the ground, no.  So the bulky equipment can go to someone who will enjoy it.

I need to recommit to a serious declutter, as we have just decided to sell our house.  I'm sure despite our best efforts we've acquired plenty of stuff since we moved in two years ago, and that stuff needs to be pared down before we move again.  I especially want to focus on stuff that's been stored in the basement, which we haven't needed since moving in.  We'll probably have to downsize some of our furniture as well, sadly.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4938 on: March 30, 2021, 08:28:54 AM »
We've decided to sell our vacation house (in another state). I'm happy I make decluttering it a regular activity when we're there, but pretty nervous about how I'll get everything out of it during the sale transaction. I'm hoping we will sell it fully furnished. Fingers crossed.

As for our own house, I picked up a free book on our local Buy Nothing (bike mechanic repair book for my son) & it came with a bunch of other freebie books. Listed them all on eBay.

Lately a few older eBay listings (months old) have finally sold. My goal for today is to go through all of my listings, update, edit, decide if anything should be donated/listed on Buy Nothing, etc.

I went through my 14 y.o.'s closet, as he's had a recent growth spurt. None of his button up shirts fit, so those will be donated or sold.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #4939 on: March 30, 2021, 08:37:06 AM »
I found a new owner for the greenhouse potting bench.  Have to wait until May 1 for him to come an get it but he is thrilled!

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4940 on: March 30, 2021, 08:00:58 PM »
^^^^
I remember some fashion maven, I forget who, that said “Get rid of half your clothes and you’ll look twice as stylish.”

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4941 on: March 30, 2021, 08:29:42 PM »
On the plus side of getting rid of the elliptical, today I threw away a god-knows-how-old pair of sneakers I used for indoor exercise only.  The sole was about to fall off of one of them, so I certainly got my money's worth.

Also threw away some empty boxes and magazines I tried to sell on eBay, but aren't worth donating and I'm certainly not moving with them (it's crazy what people will buy - I've sold some empty boxes, but not these).

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4942 on: March 31, 2021, 08:40:28 AM »
I randomly was looking for an app that would buy DVDs and CDs.  Clicked on Decluttr and gave it a shot.  Uses the phone camera to scan the UPC code.  Expect on the order of 19 cents per item.  I have boxes of these things.  CDs, DVDs, games that nobody is using, which I know for sure because they were literally in a box in the basement.  I've made 2 passes so far for something like $16.  Many of these were from a friend whose husband passed away a couple years ago and my wife couldn't say no to her box of unwanted movies.  Probably 3/4 of those were accepted.  They take books as well and have something about taking phones.  I've been rounding up random disks that seem to be all over our house and matching them to the cases to get them in a box and out to UPS.  I'll probably do books next to see how that goes. 

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4943 on: March 31, 2021, 08:47:30 AM »
@Car Jack - good to know about Decluttr. I'll check that out.

@Cassie - sending you good thoughts to get through this process as painlessly as possible. I'm guessing that once you are in your own space in the condo, it will feel like a vacation oasis.

I need to get rid of a bunch of outgrown kid clothes that I gathered up over the weekend. That's on the list for the next few days.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4944 on: March 31, 2021, 02:08:40 PM »
It's time for me to changeover my wardrobe from Summer to Autumn/Winter and I'll use this to review them and work out which ones no longer fit/flatter/thrill and then donate or upcycle.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4945 on: March 31, 2021, 04:08:32 PM »
Sold my coffee table today.

Also have a giant stack of mattresses and box springs at the curb for collection tomorrow!  I promise I wasn't hoarding mattresses - I have needed to replace mine for a while, but was holding off until I moved.  And the second one was in the guest room, and I'll no longer have a guest room (and it was also very old).  Good riddance!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4946 on: March 31, 2021, 11:09:12 PM »
Another declutter fail. The ultra-local thrift shop I wanted to donate a box of household goods to only takes donations Fridays and Saturdays. At least the box is in my car and no longer in the entry way. Will try again this weekend, I guess.

Well, since the day off the donation refusal, I found two more things to go along with everything else, so not unhappy about being turned away anymore.

Today sold a Brita pitcher and extra filters! April goal is to sell the 10 or so things that might fetch a few bucks, so this was a good start.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #4947 on: April 01, 2021, 02:48:24 AM »
Decided to give away an Easyio yogurt maker that I hadn't used in a year via my local free FB page. I was a little hesitant as I have the room to store it, but thought it would be better for someone to actually use it now.
When the lovely woman came to pick it up I asked if she wanted some indoor plants that I had propagated and had no use for and she took them all. So my porch is less cluttered. Yay.

When I told a friend about the yogurt maker, she said she had 2, and if I ever wanted to make yogurt in the future I could have one. Life has a way of working out. I am a firm believer in the share economy amongst friends and neighbours!

Over the last month I have gotten into every single drawer, shelf and cupboard in my house and released probably 300 more items. It has freed up so much space in my brain and I am loving looking at empty drawers and shelves, and reaching for whatever cooking or cleaning implement, and not having to move items out of the way as everything is within easy reach. It is blissful.

I am not a big purchaser, and often instigate no- or low-buy months (thanks Reddit subgroup!) so these items are things I have held on to for a long time 'just in case'. As I ony have 1 child left at school I am heading into a different stage in my life and want to be mentally and physically free to prepare for new adventures next year, and make this year as stress-free and organisationally simple as possible. Plus I still want to have time to read all the books without that nagging feeling of 'I need to declutter, organise, clean stuff'. In order to be idle, I need to be efficient.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4948 on: April 02, 2021, 10:59:37 AM »
@Cassie , hugs to you and here's to your new ventures!

@Car Jack, thank you for the Decluttr information.  I look forward to addressing my stacks of CDs sometime soon.

Similar to @mspym, it's time to change out clothing from cold to warm weather items.  I look forward to purging items not worn the past 5 months.

Regarding wedding dresses mentioned on the prior page, years ago I sold mine via Craigslist, and to the delight of the buyer, I threw in the jewelry I'd purchased to go with it.  My first wedding ring was sold to a "We Buy Gold" outfit when experiencing a financial hardship during the recession.  The money received for it was insignificant, but I was glad to rid it from my life.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 11:01:10 AM by MountainGal »

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4949 on: April 02, 2021, 02:34:34 PM »
Wardrobe changeover done and it inspired Ofpym to find some shirts and books he is also happy to shed so now today's task is drop off the donations and get them out of the house. Also my friend is happy to take the food processor so that's another thing that can go.