Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1249089 times)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #3650 on: June 02, 2020, 01:45:42 PM »
-Magically sold six items in a day on eBay, which never happens. Got them all packaged & dropped off.
-Went through my "fitness" tub, which holds a variety of random things. Some got tossed, some were marked for donation, others for selling. A few things were organized back into the areas of the house where they belonged.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3651 on: June 05, 2020, 05:49:14 PM »
Gave away two too-small saddle pads to a friend who was very happy to get them.

Used an extra board to finally give my monitor stand real legs instead of propping it up on mini milk crates.

Turned a framed print that was destined to be donated, some random cork sheets and a piece of fabric into an attractive cork board for my work from home space.

Loaded up the junk that's been accumulating on the side of the house and took it all to the dump this afternoon. 

On Monday I made some progress with burning yard waste in the burn barrel.  I might break down and have a landscaper haul off the rest of the pile though, since it's hard to catch a good weather window to do enough burning.  Or I'll haul it off in a couple batches myself.  After that, our yard will be quite clutter-free.

I have a few things to put on the curb, but it's supposed to be raining all weekend, so I'll wait until the weather is more hospitable for walkers.  The yard is looking markedly less cluttered.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #3652 on: June 05, 2020, 06:24:27 PM »
DH chopped up a rotting play structure that we moved from a neighbours 10 years ago.  They had gotten it from another neighbour.  The ladder was unsafe. The slide might have some life left in it if it was placed on the ground.  There is this huge open space in the now  - it was sitting on the only flat ground in our backyard.

We are being up the stuff for a dump run - once you need a trailer - you might as well load that trailer full. 

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3653 on: June 06, 2020, 10:22:58 AM »
I hope to donate some things at Goodwillor SVDP today. 

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #3654 on: June 06, 2020, 06:26:52 PM »
Got rid of another handfull of papers, woo!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3655 on: June 06, 2020, 06:53:06 PM »
-Listed 12 books on eBay, while I was on a help chat with our internet provider
-Put three pair of outgrown shorts in the donation bin
-Recycled a few papers no longer needed, as school is almost over!

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3656 on: June 06, 2020, 08:16:57 PM »
Heavens, I should have been on this thread for the past few weeks. We have been sorting and tossing and selling and gifting and donating like mad in preparation for our upcoming move. Clothes, baby bathtub and bath seat, shoes, bookcase, bunk bed, changing table, books...

There is nothing like a move to make you realize how much stuff you have and how little you value some of it.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3657 on: June 06, 2020, 09:48:43 PM »
Heavens, I should have been on this thread for the past few weeks. We have been sorting and tossing and selling and gifting and donating like mad in preparation for our upcoming move. Clothes, baby bathtub and bath seat, shoes, bookcase, bunk bed, changing table, books...

There is nothing like a move to make you realize how much stuff you have and how little you value some of it.

Our first big move (Seattle to Bay Area), we got rid of more than 25% of our belongings. It was insane. We got rid of about 10% of our stuff when we moved between houses here. I keep decluttering & cleaning. It's addictive, and I hope I have very little stuff to ditch, but it's a never ending cycle, so I'm sure there will be more!

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3658 on: June 07, 2020, 01:22:27 AM »

Our first big move (Seattle to Bay Area), we got rid of more than 25% of our belongings. It was insane. We got rid of about 10% of our stuff when we moved between houses here. I keep decluttering & cleaning. It's addictive, and I hope I have very little stuff to ditch, but it's a never ending cycle, so I'm sure there will be more!

I have moved a lot and every time there is something that can be decluttered. The question I am asking is if I use this and do I want to pay to have it moved. It has resulted in that I alwAys spend some some weeks decluttering before the move and then pack. During the packing process you find even more to get rid of.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #3659 on: June 07, 2020, 06:10:48 AM »
Went to the tip with a car full of cardboard and got rid of some books noone will want at the same time. Have kept four for a street library but they are in the garage not clogging up inside. Also returned some things to IKEA - AND DID NOT BUY ANYTHING!! Mainly because too many people. Unfortunately husband bought yet another backpack from marketplace but he says it will replace others!

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3660 on: June 07, 2020, 09:13:30 PM »

I have moved a lot and every time there is something that can be decluttered. The question I am asking is if I use this and do I want to pay to have it moved. It has resulted in that I alwAys spend some some weeks decluttering before the move and then pack. During the packing process you find even more to get rid of.
We did a good amount of decluttering before and after our previous move, only three years ago. Somehow we have managed to accumulate a bunch more crap in the interim. Babies do that somehow.

I was talking to my husband about this a couple of days ago. The problem is that stuff comes in as a regular course of life. As much as I try to push back, the kids get junky toys, random things show up in our house, gifts we are too polite to reject but then don’t ever quite get around to regifting. On the flip side we don’t have any regular mechanism for going through and getting rid of things.

So putting my chemical engineering education to work here to do a mass balance equation, when the rate of input > rate of output then you end up with mass accumulation. I proposed we should institute a 2-3x yearly purge so we don’t end up feeling like we are buried in stuff each time we move.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #3661 on: June 07, 2020, 10:35:54 PM »
This counts as decluttering: I hung two pictures. One was resting on the floor and I had to lift it to vacuum every time and the other was permanently lying on a desk since it came back from the framers. It's a oil painting of my late dog that my SIL commissioned.

Now I'm going to put the hinge dampeners on the kitchen cupboard doors. It's a job that's only been waiting 6 months! Then I can use the cupboard space they were taking up as official aircon & ceiling fan remote storage. Which means I can put off buying a new dining table that includes drawers, because that was the only reason I had to get them. Saving: $300.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3662 on: June 08, 2020, 04:22:26 AM »
I finally went through my garden shelves and culled back tons of what was mostly garbage.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3663 on: June 08, 2020, 04:48:28 AM »
Took a carload of stuff to the first 'car boot', flea market weekend of the year. Got rid of some stuff, made a modest profit, and had a nice day out of the house. And I feel productive.

Another benefit of the trip was that it will be easy for me to now donate the stuff that didn't sell, and that no one even expressed an interest in, like the cute little suitcase. No one uses or needs suitcases any more , I guess, ha ha. And the wicker baskets. You can't pay people to take wicker baskets these days, lol.  Out they go, you deal with them, Salvation Army. 

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3664 on: June 08, 2020, 04:58:45 AM »
I finally went through my garden shelves and culled back tons of what was mostly garbage.

Good for you!  I ought to go through a bunch of garden-related plastic and ceramic containers that I have stashed away under a big bush. Probably don't need a quarter of it. 

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3665 on: June 08, 2020, 07:43:33 AM »
@ysette9 - I find at the younger kid age, their needs & sizes are changing so frequently, you really do have to stay on top of it. Our kids are too old for "toys", so while we have plenty of Magic cards, and sports equipment, fewer toys/gifts/clothes that we are rotating through, which helps.

This weekend, I went through the kids books, and listed 20 or so on eBay. Apparently, now is the time to sell books, due to man libraries being closed. I also donated another 5 or so. Their bookshelves look amazing!

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3666 on: June 08, 2020, 12:15:11 PM »
@ysette9 - I find at the younger kid age, their needs & sizes are changing so frequently, you really do have to stay on top of it. Our kids are too old for "toys", so while we have plenty of Magic cards, and sports equipment, fewer toys/gifts/clothes that we are rotating through, which helps.

This weekend, I went through the kids books, and listed 20 or so on eBay. Apparently, now is the time to sell books, due to man libraries being closed. I also donated another 5 or so. Their bookshelves look amazing!
Nicely done!

I am completely incapable of shipping things so I stick with FB marketplace and Buy Nothing.

LetItGrow

• Stubble
« Reply #3667 on: June 09, 2020, 01:08:23 PM »
Not trying to brag, but rather hoping this will give confidence that you won’t miss it...

From the home office I can see the trash and recycling trucks come by on Mondays. This week I had taken a bunch of old school reports from a bin, a ton of newspaper clippings of my sporting efforts, and an actual scrapbook my mom had put together for one high school football season, and tossed them in the bin. The truck pulled up, dumped the whole thing in, and drove off. No feelings of regret, nothing. Had not read through any of it in a long time, and it’s ancient history.

Plus, with the facts now gone, I can now rewrite history as needed...

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3668 on: June 11, 2020, 05:27:30 PM »
I donated a bag of clothes to a friend of a friend that has lost weight, and is on disability so can't afford new clothes. That was a good feels donation, for sure.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3669 on: June 11, 2020, 06:07:23 PM »
Donation centres have reopened here, so I finally got rid of a bunch of stuff that's been in the garage waiting to go since March.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3670 on: June 12, 2020, 07:03:54 AM »
Donation centres have reopened here, so I finally got rid of a bunch of stuff that's been in the garage waiting to go since March.

I bet that was satisfying, Shinplaster.

Here the donation places are still closed, but there is a big pile of donated stuff sitting out in the open behind one of them. People must be desperate top get rid of the stuff.  It's going to get rained on. 

I'm still waiting patiently.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3671 on: June 12, 2020, 08:32:53 AM »

I bet that was satisfying, Shinplaster.

Here the donation places are still closed, but there is a big pile of donated stuff sitting out in the open behind one of them. People must be desperate top get rid of the stuff.  It's going to get rained on. 

I'm still waiting patiently.

I hate when people pile stuff outside when the centres are closed - it's just going to get ruined anyway, so they may as well have put it in the garbage.    It was particularly satisfying for me to get this stuff donated because we've just put our house up for sale.  The inside looks great, if I do say so myself.  The garage however...that's where the horrors are.       

Lady in front of me yesterday was awful - she was yelling at the employees because they wouldn't unload her car.  They still have strict procedures, which are clearly posted.   Unload your car, put the stuff in the rolling cart.  As you are leaving, staff will come and wheel your donations into the shop, and put out a new cart.  Rinse and repeat.     Employee thanked me for doing as asked, and I just told him not all old ladies are asshats.  (I'm probably the same age as she was - late 60s).    We both got a laugh and smile - I don't know how they remain so cheerful!

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3672 on: June 12, 2020, 08:48:53 AM »
I have been able to clear out a number of random items this week by accidentally breaking them beyond repair.

The waste depot has re-opened but we now have so much we decided to do a bunch of additional reno-demolition and get enough waste to warrant a full trailer drop-off.  We had exceeded what would fit in the car, so we might as well just fill up the entire trailer.

This meant that the decaying play structure is now a pile of rotting lumber waiting for the trailer at the back of the house. 
Two huge construction waste bags are at the front corner of the garage as well as a huge tarp hides carpet, underlay, dry wall board and old trim at the side of the driveway. I can't see any of these piles from the primary living spaces, so it seems like the waste is already gone.  I am particularly happy with the new view from my desk that is all trees hiding the pile of the play structure and no longer is a ratty tarp and pinkish plastic slide. 

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3673 on: June 12, 2020, 01:44:41 PM »
I am taking a break from going through our crawlspace -- our donation center opened, but it is busy.  I hope to take things over in small trips.  What I take out today will be donated today. I am NOT going on the weekend, but will load up the van to take a load on Monday. 

Part of my motivation is that I cannot find my stored summer clothes, and I have some nice clothes and shoes stored. Where did they go? We had a very unusual leak in the crawlspace during a storm and everything got shuffled and it's a mess.  Pain in the bottom.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3674 on: June 12, 2020, 02:20:12 PM »
I donated a bag of clothes to a friend of a friend that has lost weight, and is on disability so can't afford new clothes. That was a good feels donation, for sure.

@Prairie Gal, this was very kind of you.  :)

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3675 on: June 12, 2020, 02:24:55 PM »
Our Goodwill is now open here, though I've yet to visit.

~I shredded 5 grocery bags full of paper here at the office over the past week.  Last month I had someone come in and file for 4 hours.  It's really starting to feel lighter here.
~I took 7 never used shipping envelopes and boxes back to the post office today.
~I rid of DH and my ballots by dropping them off for the primary.  :)

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3676 on: June 14, 2020, 08:38:15 AM »
Got some modest bucks for 4 hubcaps, by selling them to a local hubcap retailer store. After trying to sell them for about 10 years, on and off, it was good to get rid of the clumsy, noisy things.  Felt like a milestone of sorts.

Made a trip out Saturday to the flea market to sell whatever I could. They are only charging $5 a day per table now (was $10 last year)  due to low vendor turnout once they reopened. Maybe the vendors are afraid of the virus.     

Sold a lot of stuff, made a modest profit. The biggest things were a camera tripod, and a big 6 by 3  foot erasable whiteboard I've been trying to get rid of for a while.

I could be out there again today, Sunday, but I chose to stay home pick out some good stuff for next weekend's market.

I just found out my library is now accepting returns (outside) so tomorrow I will hop over there with those 5 dvd's I've had lying around. No late fees. Can't check anything out yet, though.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3677 on: June 14, 2020, 10:45:20 AM »
Good going Slackmax.

Can you stuff enough stuff in your car to fill up two tables, since they're "on sale?"  That will speed things up!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3678 on: June 14, 2020, 01:52:36 PM »
We are at our vacation house, so a whole new space to organize & declutter.
-Tried on all clothes in my dresser, made a pile of things to donate.
-Went through all of the kids clothes, and made stacks of: keep, donate, sell. Put all of the sell items in our "go home" bag
-Went through our pantry, and organized a few things. It's a big project (people leave things behind, so there is often random stuff, and I need to check all the dates, etc) & I'm only on the first of five shelves. Lots more to come.

I also found four glass jars (originally contained shells?) that we've had since we bought the house 10+ years ago. Donation pile. Found wall letters from Pottery Barn with the kids names in the garage in one of my husband's tools containers. Never been used. Will take home & list on eBay.

I do love a good declutter!

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3679 on: June 14, 2020, 04:22:13 PM »
Good going Slackmax.

Can you stuff enough stuff in your car to fill up two tables, since they're "on sale?"  That will speed things up!

I could, but I won't.   

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3680 on: June 14, 2020, 05:07:22 PM »
Good going Slackmax.

I could, but I won't.   

I’m curious why not?

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3681 on: June 14, 2020, 05:56:18 PM »
Have a bag to be dropped off at a friends house. Some baking supplies that I won't use in any reasonable time frame to store them, and returning some containers.

Also added a pair of jeans to the donation box. They're not comfy, I'm not going to wear them.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #3682 on: June 14, 2020, 08:04:33 PM »
I just found out my library is now accepting returns (outside) so tomorrow I will hop over there with those 5 dvd's I've had lying around. No late fees. Can't check anything out yet, though.

So funny! Libraries here are doing the opposite: you can check out (curbside pickup) but not return.  I'm imagining the libraries empty before the pandemic is over!

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3683 on: June 15, 2020, 07:18:24 AM »
Salvation Army donation kiosk is open again! Rushed over this morning with an old suitcase,  a box of knicknacks, and a bag of clothes.   No one else there! Unexpected. 

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3684 on: June 15, 2020, 07:42:50 AM »

So funny! Libraries here are doing the opposite: you can check out (curbside pickup) but not return.  I'm imagining the libraries empty before the pandemic is over!

My library is doing both, though they're staggering the returns so they can keep up. I have a book that I expect will be sitting on the table for another month or so. They're letting all returns sit on carts for 3 days before they check them in.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3685 on: June 15, 2020, 02:30:07 PM »
Ahem.  Decluttered my side of the master bathroom vanity sink drain.  SO gross.  The good news is because I had to clear out the cupboard beneath it, I purged a few items to both the garbage can and Goodwill box.  This is something I'd been wanting to do for quite some time.  Looks much better and is more functional for busy work day mornings.

With DH's help, I "decluttered" some old fencing into fire pit size logs.  My first time using a sawzall and am very proud of myself!

Was poking around my home office looking for pictures for a few projects.  I really need to address the two photo storage boxes and other items in that room.  Oh, well.  Goals!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #3686 on: June 15, 2020, 06:46:47 PM »

My library is doing both, though they're staggering the returns so they can keep up. I have a book that I expect will be sitting on the table for another month or so. They're letting all returns sit on carts for 3 days before they check them in.

They're saying that returns will not be accepted until some future date. I'm almost tempted to volunteer to help re-shelve, I'm sure they will be deluged.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3687 on: June 16, 2020, 05:29:11 AM »
Our library is doing curbside pickups with appointment windows.  Returned books are quarantined for 48 hours before re-shelving them.  No overdue fines though!

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3688 on: June 16, 2020, 07:15:51 AM »
We just moved and before leaving we had to give our library books to our neighbor to return for us at some future unspecified date.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3689 on: June 16, 2020, 10:28:54 AM »
Re-organized spice pantry area, & consolidated a bunch of coffee/hot drink items. Because it's a vacation house, people leave a lot of things behind. Every time I come, there are new "surprises" to sort out. I now have everything on one shelf, which is a big improvement.

Also found a waffle maker (unused) & a coffee canister that can either be donated, or I will see if someone else in my family wants them. It's always nice to get rid of bulky things that linger but don't get used.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #3690 on: June 16, 2020, 01:01:35 PM »
Our library is doing curbside pickups with appointment windows.  Returned books are quarantined for 48 hours before re-shelving them.  No overdue fines though!

I hope they start doing that here!

Learned yesterday of a thrift shop in town that is taking donations again! I would have been there at 9 this morning, but Reasons. Maybe Saturday. Got my fingers crossed!

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3691 on: June 16, 2020, 01:13:36 PM »
Re-organized spice pantry area, & consolidated a bunch of coffee/hot drink items. Because it's a vacation house, people leave a lot of things behind. Every time I come, there are new "surprises" to sort out. I now have everything on one shelf, which is a big improvement.

Also found a waffle maker (unused) & a coffee canister that can either be donated, or I will see if someone else in my family wants them. It's always nice to get rid of bulky things that linger but don't get used.
I wish we were closer because I’ve wanted a waffle maker for a long time!

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3692 on: June 17, 2020, 07:19:03 AM »
Returned 5 dvd's to the outdoor library clerks, and had a nice chat with them. They had a bunch of cardboard boxes and said just put them in any one.

Then went over to the recycling place, which reopened a week ago, and finally got rid of a very old burned pot that has been cluttering my front door area for months.  Yay! 

But they would not accept my 'textiles' (old rags and cloth stuff) so I tossed those in the next garbage can I saw.

Textiles is one of the things they normally accept, but they said they are waiting until later to accept them again.   

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3693 on: June 17, 2020, 05:23:55 PM »

I wish we were closer because I’ve wanted a waffle maker for a long time!

Likewise. Would love a socially distanced beach visit!

I've continued to go through our vacation house:
-Found two games to donate, two to take home
-Organized our toiletry area (moved from garage in an area no one could see into). Think TP, paper towels, cleaning supplies, etc. It's amazing to be able to actually be able to see what we have, what we're running short on, etc.
-Listed four items on the local Craigslist
-Have a huge pile of things to take home & sell on eBay, and a pile for donation
-Organized our food pantry. Tossed expired stuff, grouped like items, and found about 8 items (pitchers, wine chillers, etc) that we've never/rarely used in 10+ years, so will go to another home (donate, eBay, our other house)

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3694 on: June 18, 2020, 09:47:30 AM »
Have three packages of printer cartridges ready for drop off and three were picked up yesterday. 
The old PVR is packed up with return shipping label.

The recycling bin is nearly full of old pots and trays that I haven't used in three years.  Two whole bins are now empty in the garage. 

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3695 on: June 18, 2020, 09:59:26 AM »
Went through our utensil drawer, and found a few items for donation. Reorganized & cleaned everything, & it looks so much better. Next up, organizing & cleaning under our bathroom sink. Tons of random things people have left behind.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3696 on: June 18, 2020, 10:15:14 AM »
Unpacking now at the new place and I am overwhelmed by how much stuff we have. I had really enjoyed the minimalist lifestyle there for a week.

Played a small toddler bike in buy nothing and our crappy vacuum for sake on FB Marketplace. Next up is my unused second bike (who wants to ride a normal bike when I have my electric bike?!).

shadesofgreen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3697 on: June 19, 2020, 11:41:30 AM »
Have a back seat loaded for donation tonight. So happy to get these items out of my space.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3698 on: June 19, 2020, 02:11:49 PM »
Got rid of a bunch of small things at a flea market sale today, but also 2 bulky things:  a collapsible outdoor pool, and a backpack.

I'm happiest about the backpack.

I had the backpack for sale for so long I was about to donate it just to get rid of it, when someone came out of nowhere and bought it!  Yay.     

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3699 on: June 19, 2020, 03:17:28 PM »
I sold my extra unused bike, and our vacuum cleaner. Gave away some small items and have more listed on Buy Nothing. Listed a jacket and kid’s table & chair for sale.

Slowly opening more boxes and putting things away as well as setting stuff aside to put in storage or get rid of. It is a lot of work to move.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!