Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1249193 times)

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #3600 on: May 17, 2020, 09:59:04 AM »
I'm going to count these things as decluttering, which is a stretch. It's just that I am so frustrated lately since all the places I sell the stuff are closed now, as well as the donation sites!

I replaced 2 wiper blades on my car , and instead of keeping the packaging they came in, and keeping the old wipers (for future reference) I threw it all out!  How daring, right?   lol.

Also, I have found the occasional paper item I can recycle and into the recycling it goes. Thank God they are still picking up recycling.       

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3601 on: May 17, 2020, 10:03:03 AM »
It counts Slackmax. If you’re like me there was the possibility that you would let the new blades sit unopened and uninstalled for 6 months.  You accomplished. Checked it off the list. And tossed the remains. Satisfying.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3602 on: May 17, 2020, 05:19:01 PM »
In the last couple of days I have gathered up one garbage bag of clothes, and a box of odds & ends.

I have nice clock that I bought second hand that doesn't work, I was planning to replace the mechanism, but I think I will just toss it. Don't really feel good about donating something that doesn't work.

Sold a blouse on FB Marketplace for $20. I probably have some other things that I could try to sell.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3603 on: May 18, 2020, 10:28:20 AM »
Over the past few days:
-Massive amount of yard work
-Went through both boys dressers again. A few things to donate, a few things to sell
-Organized a drawer in my bathroom. Cleaned out the containers I use to hold various backup supplies (lotion, eye makeup remover, etc) & consolidated a few items

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3604 on: May 20, 2020, 03:55:09 PM »
Feeling good that I did something productive today.

I took a stack of photographs I had set aside during initial decluttering, and went through them today.  Put everything in albums, and even threw away a few more odds and ends from the stack.

Maybe some accountability will help:  I still have 2 "stacks" left to deal with - some knitting/craft patterns, and a bunch of stuff I want to sell or donate.  Making a goal to address one pile each on Thursday and Friday.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3605 on: May 21, 2020, 02:17:12 PM »
Feeling good that I did something productive today.

I took a stack of photographs I had set aside during initial decluttering, and went through them today.  Put everything in albums, and even threw away a few more odds and ends from the stack.

Maybe some accountability will help:  I still have 2 "stacks" left to deal with - some knitting/craft patterns, and a bunch of stuff I want to sell or donate.  Making a goal to address one pile each on Thursday and Friday.

Dealt with the knitting/craft pattern pile!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #3606 on: May 21, 2020, 06:20:30 PM »
@NotJen you reminded me: I gave some fabric to a friend who is making masks! 

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3607 on: May 21, 2020, 06:53:02 PM »
@NotJen -- you get all the internet awards for sorting pictures and *actually* putting them in albums!!

I sold three desks on FB marketplace for only 10% less than I paid for them. Quarantine is the perfect time to sell desks, as they were all snapped up within 24 hours. Saves me returning them to the germy store :) I'll take the loss as a 'not exposing myself to Covid' tax. They had been sitting in my garage still in the boxes since (gulp) October. I decided in November they wouldn't work for what I had planned, then I procrastinated.

Went through that last drawer of craft supplies and cleaned it OUT. Some of it got neatly organized into its proper places in my craft storage, some of it is bagged for a friend that requested it. Some of it went to trash/recycling, and some of it got used for project pieces that will gradually leave the house. Now that drawer is housing the bedding that was thrown across The Chair. So many wins!

Now to actually take bag of donations to Goodwill and local charity.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3608 on: May 22, 2020, 05:37:36 AM »
Watched an episode of hoarders, and I am so glad I don't have the emotional disorder they have about junk.

Anyway, I got some minor decluttering done yesterday.  Read all the old documents, writings, essays, from college days, and Europe backpacking days that I had on the stairway for about 6 months, waiting for a good time to go through it all. I didn't throw anything away, but I did put it all in its own box, and put the box away. 

Found a few things around to house to throw out.

Put a ripped T shirt, newly washed, into the rag bag. 

Still have a lot of stuff I want to sell or donate. Waiting patiently for donation sites and 'car boot' places to open up.   

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #3609 on: May 22, 2020, 10:58:06 AM »
Moved a child sized desk chair to the garage...it is too small for all of us.

A seat for using in a shower that I had lent my late friend went back to my brother's place where they will store it until another family member can't have a shower standing up.  We now have access to the man door on the side of the garage.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3610 on: May 22, 2020, 01:23:44 PM »
Donation drop off centre has reopened.  Whoo Hoo.

DH has taken 3 trailer loads of "stuff" out of his shop and to the dump.

Things are looking up.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #3611 on: May 22, 2020, 04:26:32 PM »
Moved a child sized desk chair to the garage...it is too small for all of us.

A seat for using in a shower that I had lent my late friend went back to my brother's place where they will store it until another family member can't have a shower standing up.  We now have access to the man door on the side of the garage.

Excellent way to gauge progress!

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3612 on: May 23, 2020, 08:23:10 AM »
Filed under 'things you ignore since they've been there forever' :  an old wooden collapsible clothes drying rack fell over during the night. I noticed something was different. Ah, the old clothes rack fell over (a glued joint broke).

I took the clothes off the top of it (all of it can be donated or maybe sold) and put them somewhere else that takes up less room.

I thought about throwing out the old rack, but I got it to fold up neatly, and I kept it.

Now I have a lot more room in that room. Seems way less cluttered. Also found an old dented cardboard box that was propping up the rack. Will recycle it. 

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3613 on: May 23, 2020, 10:04:50 PM »
Dropped off the Goodwill bag, and have the other two donation containers in the car. One isn't accepting clothing items, but the other is just waiting to be on that side of town.

Tossed five cotton washcloths in the compost bin. They were stained and worn out beyond redemption.

Returned a borrowed puzzle and am reading a borrowed book to get it back to its owner soon.

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #3614 on: May 24, 2020, 09:14:26 PM »
Finally returned a borrowed item I had for the last 7 months, and gave them 3 other items to go with it as I did the socially distant drop-off. They had said it was no rush to return, but I was itching to get items out and they did appreciate the bonus items as well.

Then I bought a little daisy bouquet at the grocery and displayed half in my kitchen and cut the rest of the flowers to fit one each in a dozen mini vases we had for no reason. I left them out for the neighbours with a sign to please take one. They were all gone within about an hour.

We had internet issues the last few days, so while I waited for the repair person I decided on my analog project - I cut up 4 pieces of clothing (not nice enough to donate, and actually from a goodwill by-the-pound fabric purchase more than a year ago) into strips and crocheted a floor mat for an area where we would have had to buy one this season. The few fabric edges left will get stuffed into a floor cushion in progress.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3615 on: May 25, 2020, 07:59:32 PM »
Our donation centers are still closed, but I've had luck just putting things at the end of the driveway.  This weekend we got rid of an extra office chair that had seen better days, and a bookcase that I had repaired and used in the garage.   I'm trying to pick nice days to put things out so there's a better chance that someone will take them.

Jim Fiction

• Stubble
« Reply #3616 on: May 26, 2020, 06:38:05 AM »
Pared down my DVD collection this weekend. Have a box ready to be sent to decluttr which will result in $25 coming my way. Another big box is ready to go to Goodwill (ones that decluttr wouldn't take).  Several more boxes were filled that are destined for ebay. Only planning to keep a handful out of hundreds.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3617 on: May 26, 2020, 08:50:59 AM »
Our waste drop off opened today.  The line up is huge. The city is tweeting not to come today. 

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #3618 on: May 26, 2020, 01:34:50 PM »
Last week I cleared out the car and found a place for the new baby's things. My toddler climbed out of the crib a couple times over the weekend, so we moved her to a floor bed. I stored quite a few things under her crib and had to get creative about shuffling things around to find them a home. I also found a spot for the crib since the new baby will be in a bassinet the first few months.

I finished going through my papers. My computer is next. Those two areas are hardest for me to keep under control because I tend to jot down or type my ideas/thoughts to help clarify them. I don't like to throw away the notes because sometimes I need to reference them a few months later when new inspiration strikes.

The system I came up with is to keep an inbox for my paper notes and use Google Keep for typed notes and just let both be chaotic. I think my problem before was in trying to organize them or integrate them into some type of system. They're a bit too fluid for that. So I'm embracing the messiness and giving them a space of their own.

Tonight I will tackle Google Docs (by diverting the random notes I have there to Google Keep). I'll also try to come up with a better system for Gmail and Google Photos.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3619 on: May 26, 2020, 05:36:57 PM »
Filed under 'things you ignore since they've been there forever' :  an old wooden collapsible clothes drying rack fell over during the night. I noticed something was different. Ah, the old clothes rack fell over (a glued joint broke).

I took the clothes off the top of it (all of it can be donated or maybe sold) and put them somewhere else that takes up less room.

I thought about throwing out the old rack, but I got it to fold up neatly, and I kept it.

Now I have a lot more room in that room. Seems way less cluttered. Also found an old dented cardboard box that was propping up the rack. Will recycle it. 

Oh my.  Not noticing things in an overstuffed house is called Clutter Blindness.  Your brain just doesn’t see it after a while.

So I have to ask - why are you keeping a clothes rack that has already been repaired, but clearly didn’t “take” because it needed a box to hold it up?  Do you actually think you’ll fix it again?  This is hoarder thinking I’m afraid.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3620 on: May 27, 2020, 08:12:30 AM »
Filled another box last night with extra items I had in my kitchen cupboards. Dusted off some decorative knick knacks that I am planning to list on FB Marketplace to see if I can get a few dollars out of them.

Donation centers are re-opening here. I've had a bad back, but it is nearly better, so perfect timing. This weekend I am planning to drop off a bunch of stuff.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3621 on: May 27, 2020, 01:50:07 PM »
I've been going through areas of the house, which has the double win of decluttering & generating things to list on eBay or donate/toss. I've finally gone through my crystal. Why I even have it is a mystery. I'm a low maintenance entertainer, and the crystal (which, I've never used in 20 years) requires hand washing. Listed it on eBay. Sold a crystal pitcher & a super fancy cheeseboard. Made $165.

I've been finding that it takes a few rounds in each area to get down to finding everything that needs to go. Just when I think I'm done... I find new things to toss, donate or sell. It's glorious!

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3622 on: May 27, 2020, 06:26:22 PM »

Oh my.  Not noticing things in an overstuffed house is called Clutter Blindness.  Your brain just doesn’t see it after a while.

So I have to ask - why are you keeping a clothes rack that has already been repaired, but clearly didn’t “take” because it needed a box to hold it up?  Do you actually think you’ll fix it again?  This is hoarder thinking I’m afraid.

A gentle second on the hoarder thinking. If the clothes rack was covered with clothes that can be discarded, and it was broken with a cardboard box propping it up, that's a useless item holding more useless items. Let them go and enjoy that empty space.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #3623 on: May 28, 2020, 12:06:11 AM »
Gathered the gumption to go through my paper pile again.  Discarded a handful; stored some things in more logical places and have a small stack to go through in the coming days as gumption returns.

Also finally decided to let go of a bag I haven't used more than a handful of times in the last two years (maybe more).  It's not going to the donation center until the Covid restrictions are loosened, however.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3624 on: May 28, 2020, 07:22:12 AM »
Gave away two old computers to a guy that uses them for parts.

I've been going through areas of the house, which has the double win of decluttering & generating things to list on eBay or donate/toss. I've finally gone through my crystal. Why I even have it is a mystery. I'm a low maintenance entertainer, and the crystal (which, I've never used in 20 years) requires hand washing. Listed it on eBay. Sold a crystal pitcher & a super fancy cheeseboard. Made $165.

I've been finding that it takes a few rounds in each area to get down to finding everything that needs to go. Just when I think I'm done... I find new things to toss, donate or sell. It's glorious!

That's awesome! Found money!

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3625 on: May 28, 2020, 09:08:23 AM »

Thanks for the concern,  SunnyDays.  Actually, I noticed after my post that I can repair the rack by tying up the affected joint. Or by regluing. And I can reuse the wood  dowels, maybe in the garden, maybe for some other repair. 

Yeah, I don't NEED to keep the old rack, but it's not taking up much space folded up.

Onward to bigger items, lol.   

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3626 on: May 28, 2020, 11:39:46 AM »

Thanks for the concern,  SunnyDays.  Actually, I noticed after my post that I can repair the rack by tying up the affected joint. Or by regluing. And I can reuse the wood  dowels, maybe in the garden, maybe for some other repair. 

Yeah, I don't NEED to keep the old rack, but it's not taking up much space folded up.

I thought the same thing when I read it.  SM, it may not only be your old girlfriend that had trouble letting things go.  I've noticed you have a pattern of holding for various reasons (to get top dollar, it "might" be useful, it doesn't take up that much space, etc.)  The little things do all add up.

I challenge you to set a deadline to use it such as by the end of this weekend, or let it go.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3627 on: May 28, 2020, 11:54:04 AM »

Along these lines, I received a wall mounted drying rack earlier this year for my birthday, and asked DH to toss the old, wooden one we had for decades.  He didn't, and instead has been using pieces for his various hobbies.  Recycle, reuse, repurpose.  I love it.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3628 on: May 28, 2020, 01:34:33 PM »
Oh for sure, reuse when possible, as long as you do reuse items and don’t just keep them “in case” or for “someday.”  Hoarders tend to have big plans for 1001 projects as an excuse to keep things.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3629 on: May 28, 2020, 04:13:13 PM »
Oh for sure, reuse when possible, as long as you do reuse items and don’t just keep them “in case” or for “someday.”  Hoarders tend to have big plans for 1001 projects as an excuse to keep things.

Agreed.  :)

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #3630 on: May 30, 2020, 01:36:26 PM »
My husband has finally decided that we will divorce. Not my choice, but I will make the best of it. I have decluttered a lot already, but a lot more needs to be done. I will not bring a lot of crap into my coming apartment.

Also, I am by choice not taking a lot of "stuff" from our current home. If there are things I don't absolutely need (but want/would be nice to have) and I don't love what we have now, I will not take it with me, but take time to look for something I really like instead. Examples are cheapo Ikea book shelves, I will not take them, I will put the few books I own in a box until I find the right solution. Could be new-to-me lovely old book shelves, could be in a unused kitchen cupboard, who knows? :-)

This will also help with ex-DH letting my have the few items I really want. Today I asked if I could take a really lovely pot stand that I believe originally comes from his grandma, and he was absolutely fine with that. There are a few things that I really want to keep (big and small, a linen cupboard is another thing) and I will really try to get them, but not much more except for what I really need.

As you maybe can tell, besides the sadness, I am also really excited to recreate my life. I am so looking forward to this.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3631 on: May 30, 2020, 02:52:50 PM »
@LinneaH - I'm so sorry to hear about the divorce. It sounds like you have a very positive outlook for the future

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3632 on: May 30, 2020, 03:33:12 PM »
@LinneaH  - divorce sucks but sometimes really good things happen after divorce that couldn't happen before.

The donation center openned - DH loaded up the car and so many bags left the house.  A huge section of the basement and the garage is now empty and spacious again.
Whoot whoot.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3633 on: May 30, 2020, 06:28:54 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about the divorce but hope that you get to remake your life into exactly what you need and desire.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #3634 on: May 31, 2020, 01:51:12 AM »
LinneaH, sorry about your divorce. I think the attitude you have towards possessions will serve you well. I spent a lot of time churning through items that reminded me of my ex after my divorce, would have preferred a cleaner break from those memories.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3635 on: May 31, 2020, 07:38:02 AM »
Yesterday i tried on every pair of jeans in my closet. Found one to get rid of. Also found a few more items to sell/donate that the kids have outgrown.

My son cleaned out his school backpack (we've been in shelter in place since March) & ... that was a gross adventure. It's all cleaned out, and I tossed it into the washing machine. Fingers crossed it can be salvaged. There was food in it that never got tossed. *gag*

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3636 on: May 31, 2020, 09:29:59 AM »
I have almost filled the entire garbage bin.  Old broken hoses that split under pressure, old wires, plant tags, rope, brooms and rotted garden implements.

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #3637 on: May 31, 2020, 10:00:06 AM »
Thank you everyone! I am past most of the sadness, now I am really looking forward and enjoying the planning. I'm choosing to see this as an opportunity. I will not compare my future life with my current life in the house I really love (and would have loved to stay in), as this is no longer possible. Instead I am choosing to make the best of the future; the two options I have is either being miserable and not sort out my life/living conditions in a nice way, or trying my best to make it as good as possible, and I believe this can be a really good life.

My son cleaned out his school backpack (we've been in shelter in place since March) & ... that was a gross adventure. It's all cleaned out, and I tossed it into the washing machine. Fingers crossed it can be salvaged. There was food in it that never got tossed. *gag*

Ooh - I feel so sorry for you, sounds rather nasty, yuck!

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #3638 on: June 01, 2020, 03:50:00 AM »
After spending all of quarantine thinking I was going to get all sorts of decluttering done, I finally have something to report!  I went through all the storage areas in my guest room (where I mostly store craft supplies) and found quite a bit to let go - mostly things that have been sitting in bins in the closet since I moved here 5 years ago.  I'm donating some old music books I got secondhand awhile back, a little unused sewing kit, a craft kit where you make a Santa decoration, and some antique metal drinking glasses.  I'm giving away a coloring book to a friend who's a teacher (for her classroom), all my beading supplies to a friend's 12 year old daughter who has an earring-making business, and almost all of my knitting and crocheting supplies and yarn to a friend who wants to learn to knit and crochet and a friend who already does.  I only saved the knitting needles my grandmother gave me and am letting the rest go.  I now have an empty bin and hatbox I can use for other things (TBD as I continue to declutter other rooms).

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3639 on: June 01, 2020, 04:58:49 AM »
My goal for this week is to sort through my garden trolley.   The trolley was a gift from my DH on a long ago Mother's day when he would take the kids shopping.   Chipmunks claimed it but I should reclaim it.

Bogart99

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3640 on: June 01, 2020, 08:37:50 AM »
Sold my golf clubs this weekend. They were just taking up space and depreciating more every day.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3641 on: June 01, 2020, 08:54:19 AM »
The garage is my husband's domain, so not much progress has been made there. I did go through & organize all of the batteries that were scattered across, putting like sizes together. I also threw away 5-6 items that he approved & deemed unnecessary. We mutually agree that we need some sort of shelving solution for the garage. A huge part of the problem is the lack of storage, which leads to chaos.

Sold a table runner, an old jewelry cleaner, and an unused curtain on eBay over the last two days. Grateful to get them out of the house!

ItsALongStory

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3642 on: June 01, 2020, 10:17:43 AM »
Sold my car and some old bike shoes/pedals this weekend. Car will be a wash between what I'm getting for it and what we owe but still good to see expenses drop about $500 a month.

Should decide if i wanna give away my old ski's and boots, nobody is in the market for those currently but I'd rather just have them gone.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3643 on: June 01, 2020, 12:20:56 PM »
Focused on the coat closet over the weekend:
~5 pairs of sunglasses are going to a friend
~2 shirts went to a neighbor
~A pair of never worn shoes is going into the Goodwill box
~Put small camping items into a newly emptied basket
~I briefly skimmed through other shoes.  Could probably rid of 4 or more pair.  We'll see.

Also, been purging music cassette tapes:
~30 were mailed to a friend Friday
~40 or so more will go to a neighbor

Only a few hundred more to go.  I'll probably end up trying to sell them at a music store which buys second hand music media.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 01:18:37 PM by MountainGal »

shadesofgreen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3644 on: June 01, 2020, 03:07:57 PM »
Decluttered more paint over the weekend. I got the ceiling completely done and just need to start working on the remaining walls. 1 gallon used up and out in the garbage today.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3645 on: June 01, 2020, 04:34:48 PM »
-Found old mismatched socks & reunited them
-Listed shin guard sleeves on eBay, as my son has never worn them, yet they somehow keep accumulating at our house

We are almost at the end of the school year, where I will gleefully return all textbooks (via some sort of COVID friendly drop off option from the school), recycle all school papers, and clean up all of the "remote learning" crap that's all over m house. I'm giddy about this

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3646 on: June 01, 2020, 05:22:19 PM »
 - Sold a few things ($45 for the travel fund), gave away a few things, it's slow going. Still have way too many clothes, but I am making progress. I am listing a few more things to try to sell. Might as well try to get a few dollars out of them.

Decided to declutter some electronic bank accounts.
 - Closed a TFSA and there was about $250 more in there than I thought!
 - Another bank that I don't use has a GIC that is maturing in July. I called them today and told them not to automatically renew it. When I get that money I will close that account too, and put the money in Questrade. I used to use it as a business bank account for my side gig, but I don't have any clients any more, so I don't need it.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3647 on: June 02, 2020, 11:01:47 AM »
Entire garbage bin got emptied with pick up.  I squeezed in three small bags from the various bins around the house very early this morning before pick up.  It feels so good to get things out of the house.  The bins around the house are filling up faster as I am being decisive when I go to use a pen or marker that doesn't work or a glue stick that is all used up.  I don't know why I just let that garbage pile up.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3648 on: June 02, 2020, 11:04:05 AM »
I don't know why I just let that garbage pile up.

Inertia.  Desire to just complete the task, not get "sidetracked" into dealing with a small problem.  Ask me how I know.   ;-)

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3649 on: June 02, 2020, 12:54:23 PM »
I don't know why I just let that garbage pile up.

Inertia.  Desire to just complete the task, not get "sidetracked" into dealing with a small problem.  Ask me how I know.   ;-)
aaahhhh