Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1249333 times)

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #3000 on: October 07, 2019, 11:14:07 AM »
Spent about an hour each Sat and Sun in my home office/gym.  The results were a grocery bag of random items tossed, a box of paperwork to burn, 3 small items relocated, and started a small box of Harley items to gift to a friend.  I also finally put a rather large box of stuffed animals in my truck to take to the PD tomorrow and stored the oscillating fan for winter.  The office closet is now organized, and the file drawer purged and labeled correctly, just need to work on the desk top.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3001 on: October 07, 2019, 09:51:22 PM »
I am "moving" my home working space to another room. While I was making space in the cupboard there I found myself trying to consolidate all my greeting cards and blank cards into one container. Now.... I am thinking why I have all these cards in the first place? I need maybe one card each year..... it would be much easier to just buy one when i need one instead of keeping the shitload of cards... however there are some nice ones in there.

Why does this have to be so difficult?

GermanStache, I feel you, bro.  I have inherited about 1,000 greeting cards of all sorts from my girlfriend who no longer lives here. I have given away about 50, but I am keeping the rest. I will use them up for relatives' birthdays, graduations, etc.  Nobody wants to buy them at the car boot sales, even for 10 cents each. Unbelievable. 

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3002 on: October 08, 2019, 08:45:59 PM »
Today I sold 3 horse blankets, one of which was a 3-part set, and also gave the buyer a set of bulky horse shipping boots that I've had for about 10 years and never used.  It's dropping into the 20's tonight, so I predict that someone will come along and buy the others I have for sale soon too.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3003 on: October 09, 2019, 05:47:38 AM »
I am "moving" my home working space to another room. While I was making space in the cupboard there I found myself trying to consolidate all my greeting cards and blank cards into one container. Now.... I am thinking why I have all these cards in the first place? I need maybe one card each year..... it would be much easier to just buy one when i need one instead of keeping the shitload of cards... however there are some nice ones in there.

Why does this have to be so difficult?

GermanStache, I feel you, bro.  I have inherited about 1,000 greeting cards of all sorts from my girlfriend who no longer lives here. I have given away about 50, but I am keeping the rest. I will use them up for relatives' birthdays, graduations, etc.  Nobody wants to buy them at the car boot sales, even for 10 cents each. Unbelievable.

My mother-in-law and her dad used to send the same card back and forth to each other.  Occasionally, they'd have to scratch out "Happy Birthday" and write in the appropriate salutation.  He was frugal (okay, he was a cheap ass) and she just thought it was hilarious.

Vashy

• Bristles
« Reply #3004 on: October 09, 2019, 08:39:18 AM »
First results: I have a taker for the massage table and they’ll pick it up on Saturday. Yay, space!

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3005 on: October 09, 2019, 02:47:55 PM »
~Took the box of still in good shape stuffed animals to the police department yesterday so first responders can give them to children in time of need.
~Gave a stack of egg cartons to a friend.
~Spent another 20 minutes or so in my home office Monday evening resulting in tossing several more pieces of paper to the burn pile box and a few items to the garbage bag.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 12:29:38 PM by MountainGal »

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #3006 on: October 09, 2019, 06:54:23 PM »
Sold 4 DVD's for $11 at the resale shop. Now I'm questioning why I didn't sell more!

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3007 on: October 10, 2019, 07:39:10 AM »
Sold 4 DVD's for $11 at the resale shop. Now I'm questioning why I didn't sell more!

Nice price for the DVD's. They must have been pretty recent. The going price around here for used DVD's is $1 apiece (garage sale). 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3008 on: October 10, 2019, 07:44:17 AM »

Nice price for the DVD's. They must have been pretty recent. The going price around here for used DVD's is $1 apiece (garage sale).

And you pretty much can't GIVE them away around here!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3009 on: October 10, 2019, 09:48:36 AM »
Ok, I need encouragement and possibly a facepunch to just get this done.

I have 2 sets of work clothes: winter and summer. ALL of my work pants are worn out. Winter and summer. I can't limp them through another season - they look bad now, and I can't repair them. The fabric is getting threadbare.

Which means, I need to go shopping to get all new work pants. For both winter and summer (assuming I can find them). And then donate/toss all of the current set. But I really don't want to go shopping. Help.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3010 on: October 10, 2019, 10:15:34 AM »

I have 2 sets of work clothes: winter and summer. ALL of my work pants are worn out. Winter and summer. I can't limp them through another season - they look bad now, and I can't repair them. The fabric is getting threadbare.

Which means, I need to go shopping to get all new work pants. For both winter and summer (assuming I can find them). And then donate/toss all of the current set. But I really don't want to go shopping. Help.
WWMMMD?

[What Would Mr Money Mustache Do?]

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3011 on: October 10, 2019, 10:41:34 AM »

My sympathies, I hate clothes shopping.  Can you find pants you like and then just buy multiples?

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3012 on: October 10, 2019, 10:44:47 AM »
Definitely buy multiples of pants you like.

Whatever it is that makes you not want to go shopping -- can you counteract that mentally? If it's about spending money, well, you're investing in your career/means of achieving FI. If it's about the time and energy, well, you have BOUNDLESS energy, dammit. Etc etc -- whatever works for you.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3013 on: October 10, 2019, 12:34:31 PM »

I went through this very thing earlier this year-at least one pair of my work pants were um....15+ years old?  I alleviated some of the spending money guilt by buying things on sale.  Donating 6+ bags, a garment bag, and several pairs of shoes last fall also helped...

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3014 on: October 10, 2019, 08:29:52 PM »
Thanks all. Encouragement is appreciated. I have about 15 pairs of pants that need to go, but do not need to replace with 15 pairs! Absolutely will get multiples of one type, and once I figure out what, I'll look for used/clearance/coupons, etc. Realistically, need 4 pairs for each season (based on # of wears between washes and my wash schedule).

I have Monday off and will be driving home from parent's, going past an outlet mall. Will probably force myself to stop and at least look. Maybe I'll get lucky and there will be deep discounts at the stores.

In decluttering actually completed - went through the sock drawer and sorted out the threadbare/badly stained/holey socks. Added to the bucket-o-rags for nasty cleaning, and given that I need to clean the oven, I'll probably be tossing a bunch when that happens.

nancy33

• Stubble
« Reply #3015 on: October 10, 2019, 08:47:33 PM »
I’ve been planning our dinner meals following another thread on here. This has led to significant decluttering of my fridge, freezer, and pantry after only a few weeks! Family of 4 at home, with  two teenage boys. I’ve noticed we are generating a lot less trash lately. There has been extra room in the garbage cans. I’m going to make a goal to fill up those garbage cans every Tuesday by getting rid of more junk. We have 3 boys and as the youngest outgrows clothes and shoes at a rapid pace I need to stay on top of donating and / or trashing them as well

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3016 on: October 11, 2019, 07:47:59 AM »
If you don't want to go out and shop at all, an option is to find brand and style and size of your current ones and just go on ebay and order the same again. Usually this is a very affordable approach, and no real shopping involved.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3017 on: October 11, 2019, 12:49:50 PM »
Thanks all. Encouragement is appreciated. I have about 15 pairs of pants that need to go, but do not need to replace with 15 pairs! Absolutely will get multiples of one type, and once I figure out what, I'll look for used/clearance/coupons, etc. Realistically, need 4 pairs for each season (based on # of wears between washes and my wash schedule).

Agreed!  I have 4 pairs in rotation:  Grey, grey subtle-striped, black wide leg, and black narrow-legged.  A 5th pair is a little too snug for now.  I balance the pants stock with skirts in various lengths and textures.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3018 on: October 11, 2019, 02:49:47 PM »
Well, I'm back among the living.  Missed a couple of weeks' posts because I was sick sick sick.  Get your flu shots everyone!

Here are a few more things I'm getting rid of, though not quite done yet:

92. Flavoured oil and vinegar - given to relative.
93. Toaster roommate left behind - going to animal rescue garage sale.
94. 2 wall plaques - same.
95. Over-the-door hanger - same.
96 Vintage cereal bowl - same.

4 more items to go; once I get a little more energy, I'm sure I'll find them.  Looking forward to getting to # 100!

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3019 on: October 11, 2019, 03:29:34 PM »
Did some environmentally friendly toxic waste disposal (well, actually not toxic, but a chemical nonetheless) today at my car boot sale.   :)

I noticed my ancient can of frost remover spray, which no one wants to buy,  was leaking at the bottom. It had rusted through at the seam. Gradually it started leaking more and more. I put in on the blacktop and let it soak into the asphalt, and evaporate, so no pollution into the groundwater. 

I was actually happy it self-destructed. One less thing to get rid of! I tossed the empty can into the garbage. Woo hoo!   

Chraurelius

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3020 on: October 13, 2019, 07:18:51 AM »
Sibley -- you're just giving yourself excuses not to shop with this 'sale/clearence/coupon' stuff. How about going to a reliable store and buying some pants NOW. Full price, sure, but so what?  Or find a store you like and shop online.  I do that with Land's End, since the quality and style suit me and the sizing is consistent.  Some people like Old Navy or H&M.
Since you hate shopping, make it easy for yourself!

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3021 on: October 13, 2019, 11:29:31 AM »
Opened up about 8 square feet of space on the bedroom wall by going through 10 plastic bags of clothes. Tossed about 20 items of clothing due to them being ripped, worn, or stained (they went to the textiles bin at  recycling). Saved about half of the clothing in a big bag to *try* to sell for $1 each !  If they don't sell, I'll donate them. Kept about 5 of them to wear myself.   

Vashy

• Bristles
« Reply #3022 on: October 13, 2019, 11:40:18 AM »
Massage table was finally picked up by a lady from Freecycle - she also took the covering and books related to massage (that cleared some space on the bookshelf). Threw away boxing kit that Mr Vashy hasn't used in five years. There's still a lot of stuff to deal with, but I'm happy with the progress.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3023 on: October 13, 2019, 01:38:04 PM »

WWMMMD?

[What Would Mr Money Mustache Do?]

If you know a certain brand that fits you good, go to ebay and look for the identical pants. You may find some good bargains and if you like what you have now and get the exact name brand, style and size, you should get just what you want. I shop all the time on ebay for upscale tunic tops. I love velour tops in the winter and have had really good luck. But, it is best to know the designer and how their clothes fit. Size varies tremendously from one designer to another. One size 12 in one brand will be equivalent to a size 16 in another brand. I have no fear buying gently used items. As soon as they arrive to my house they go into the washer and dryer.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 04:14:18 PM by Roadrunner53 »

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3024 on: October 13, 2019, 03:20:01 PM »
Yesterday was a good day for decluttering!  I took a walk down to the park that has a Little Free Library and dropped off two books I've been meaning to get out of the house.  I also did my seasonal wardrobe change-over, and pulled out two long-sleeved shirts, a sweater, a dress, and a bra to go in the donate box.  The donate box has not left the house yet because DH noticed me packing the box and thought he would go through some things as well, but hasn't gotten to it yet.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3025 on: October 13, 2019, 04:55:48 PM »
Sometimes it feels like we have made no progress but last night I looked up and the bookshelf that used to be double-stacked, now has gaps in it. Ofpym sorted through a big box of papers yesterday and today put all the personal info docs in the shredder at work. We are getting the odd clear corner.

I also tried out my new hiking shoes in Tasmania and they worked really well and didn't hurt my busted toe in the way my hiking boots do, so now I am thinking about getting rid of the boots.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3026 on: October 13, 2019, 06:09:30 PM »
Got 2 boxes off to donate yesterday, and another 2 bags almost ready for next week.  Thankfully we have a garage to sort and pile things.  We're in the midst of moving my Mom to a retirement home - 1000 sq. ft. has to somehow squeeze into 300 sq. ft.   So many things to get rid of, and she's not able to do it herself.  We are getting ready to list our house in the spring, so have our own things to purge.  AND DS and DIL finally bought a house, so all their things that have been stored here can be rehomed a bit at a time.  There are 3 piles going at all times and it's a mess in the garage.   I expect it will stay a mess for months to come yet.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #3027 on: October 13, 2019, 11:56:49 PM »
@Sibley I hope you have good luck at the outlet store finding pants.

Today's thrift shop drop off took one of my previous for-sale items that wasn't moving (a cheap ugly desk).  Plus a small box of assorted things.  They rejected the pillows, though!

And I decided to keep the vacuum cleaner, since now I have upholstered furniture.  If a cheap stick vac comes my way, I'll donate the larger one, but room mate doesn't need the outdoor storage closet, so there is suddenly room for the regular vacuum.

For anyone counting along at home (yeah right lol), that leaves me with only 2 items to sell.  Goal is to get one listed by next weekend.

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #3028 on: October 14, 2019, 05:37:59 AM »
A dear friend of mine is a master seller. Whereas some people say their kids cost so much, she swears she's making a profit. Buys everything cheap on (our version of) craigslist, as soon as the kid is done with the clothes, toys, furniture, she takes good photos, makes a detailed listing and offers shipping. She has a system where she sells so much, she can tell buyers up front she does shipping on Wednesdays. In short, she gets more back on these products than she paid for.

Now, I have a box in my living room, where I toss any items I want to sell or donate. But I'm also massively burned out and I can't find the energy to do it. I've offered the box to my friend, she'll sell it all and she can keep the proceeds. I just care that it's out of my house and not in a landfill. Thank god for good friends!

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3029 on: October 14, 2019, 06:59:44 AM »
@Sibley I hope you have good luck at the outlet store finding pants.

Today's thrift shop drop off took one of my previous for-sale items that wasn't moving (a cheap ugly desk).  Plus a small box of assorted things.  They rejected the pillows, though!

And I decided to keep the vacuum cleaner, since now I have upholstered furniture.  If a cheap stick vac comes my way, I'll donate the larger one, but room mate doesn't need the outdoor storage closet, so there is suddenly room for the regular vacuum.

For anyone counting along at home (yeah right lol), that leaves me with only 2 items to sell.  Goal is to get one listed by next weekend.

I have 4 used, working  vacuum cleaners I am hoarding. They don't take up much space. Only when one breaks and is unfixable will I take it to metal recycling, lol. 

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #3030 on: October 14, 2019, 07:20:06 AM »
The big de-cluttering of the basement is well underway. 
There were a number of low hanging fruits - a faux leather gift box from CP Hotels containing three potato shaped rocks and a small drawing of a banana, a fire extinguisher that was made in England, empty shoe polish tins, a children's hockey helmut that expired 11 years ago and some paint from our old house.  (Risking personal embarrassment for your amusement or encouragement)
I am totally ready to ditch all the old Hallowe'en costumes from before I was a trick or treater - my mom's neighbour gave them to her to use with us kids.  She gave them to me. I sent my brothers an email and heard crickets so they are going.
Hubs is ready to ditch a rotor table that he bought 9 years ago and has never used (in fact he has never finished assembling it) and the very small bbq that needs a new burner.  We bought a new larger one instead of replacing the burner. 
I need to make a consolidated pile in the garage so when we make our trip to the donation place nothing stays behind.

shadesofgreen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3031 on: October 14, 2019, 11:22:11 AM »
Got 1 box ready for donation with kitchen items from the upper shelves. I will be working on the lower section and the fridge during the week. 1 bag of trash taken out and 1 bag in the works. I figure there will be a 2nd box for donation after I finish the kitchen.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3032 on: October 14, 2019, 08:38:17 PM »
Craigslist buyer came through today and bought the last horse blanket I really wanted gone.  Since I bought it deeply discounted, I actually got my money back re-selling it.  I sent her off with one of the "free with purchase" clear plastic blanket bags that always fall apart just when you need them.

Off work this week and need to get some junk cleaned out of the driveway behind the fence, and also clean out the shop yet again.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3033 on: October 15, 2019, 07:22:51 AM »
Going through the plastic bags full of clothes in the bedroom. Recycled about 10 pieces due to wear, but have a huge plastic bag full of perfectly good shirts, hoodies, etc. 

Wondering if anyone will buy them, even for $1 apiece at my car boot sales. I've had women's shirts there twice, at 50 cents each. Some people look at the labels, then just move on. Wow, 50 cents each and not selling!

I've sold one clothing item so far, which was a Cat-in-the-hat long Tshirt / night shirt, for $2.     

I've had the shirts lying on a table, and also hanging from a rack. Still no sales.

Rant over. Thanks for listening.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3034 on: October 15, 2019, 08:37:51 AM »
In case you're curious, update on the outlet mall trip. Yes, I went. I was a bit of a zombie (due to the lengthy hospital time on Sunday when mom had an emergency appendectomy and I'd only slept for 2 hours before I got to the place), but I went shopping. Mom's fine, still loopy on pain meds.

Found pants, everything was on sale, so I got one of each type that I liked and will look online for additional pairs that I need. Combo of Ann Taylor and Loft.

Also got a new jacket to replace 2 older ones that are wearing out, and the new jacket also can function in that in-between temperature before you need the big winter coat. Which was a hole in the jacket space. So, went from 2 + needing a 3rd, down to just one jacket.

None of the wardrobe shuffling has taken place yet, but it will. I need to catch up on sleep.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3035 on: October 16, 2019, 07:10:54 PM »
Useful tip for US based people decluttering clothing.  I haven't tried it, but thought it looked worth sharing.

Pact brand (one of those organic feel good brands) provides free shipping labels so customers can reuse their box (or another box) and fill it full of gently used clothing to donate to a charity organization. Info is here. https://wearpact.com/campaign/givebackbox

It appears that you don't actually have to make a purchase in order to print a label. 

It seems like a really inefficient way to move goods and donations, but I can imagine some situations when it might be really useful, such as when I didn't have a car, or when it allows you to get rid of things promptly, within normal routine, without a trip across town. 

--

On further reading I see that it is a partnership with givebackbox.org and there may be some availability in UK and Canada. 

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3036 on: October 18, 2019, 05:27:11 PM »
@slackmax If you need permission to donate the shirts, you have it from me. You've made a good faith effort to sell them, no one is buying, you can just let them go now if you want.
@Sibley good work with the wardrobe replacement!

Today I pulled out the bags that I just never use and they are all ready for donation. Now the six that I regularly rotate between can actually sit and be visible and not get squashed in their container in my wardrobe. I patted all the ones that are going goodbye and showed them to Ofpym and E which feels like a nice goodbye to them. I also accepted I am not a Statement Belt over Shirt person, so that is going, as is a *lovely* and flattering red merino dress that I never wear because if it's cold enough to justify a WOOL DRESS I don't want short cap sleeves and a plunging v-neck. The first rounds were all easy because it was stuff I didn't love. We're getting into the stuff that I love but never use now. I tell myself they all gave me joy at one point and now it's someone else's turn to score.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #3037 on: October 18, 2019, 06:06:07 PM »
It took over 2 weeks, but I finally recycled another 1-page work task list, this one for May.  Feels good, but unfortunately this is not an unfettered happy dance post.  Because I just printed out this month's task list, so I still have 3 pages.  As of now, I'm only 2 months behind on 10 tasks and 1 month behind on 6 additional tasks.  The game plan is to complete prior month's tasks as this month's deadline arrives, but that's been the game plan since I fell behind.  And see how well that worked :-/

Still, happy to be more caught up than I was on Friday.

One week update: I'm only 2 months behind on 10 3 tasks and 1 month behind on 6 4 additional tasks.

No physical clutter gone, but the mental burden is lifting.  Next goal is to get 2 of the 3 done before vacation next week, and the last one done before current month end.  This is lofty, as being on vacation really causes a backup in my workload.  Even if I make this goal, I'll still only be treading water with regards to behind-ness.  Hopefully I can keep even rather than falling farther behind, then make progress in October.

Over one month later update:
Finally recycled June's job to-do list.  Those last two tasks were not as bad as I was dreading.  Still, I am again 3 months behind on some of my tasks.  This will be A Subject in my one on one meeting with the boss next week.

Current status:
2 months behind on 6 tasks and 1 month behind on 10 additional tasks.  lol, nearly the same as early Sept.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3038 on: October 18, 2019, 08:07:49 PM »
Finally someone bought the saddle I've been trying to sell for a year!  Took a substantial loss on it, but the used saddle market is terrible right now, so the upside is I got a bargain on the one I bought earlier this year, making it kind of a wash.

Also did a dump run today and got rid of old cans of solidified paint, some railroad ties that were rotted out, and some other random things.  Our side driveway is almost free of clutter and looking neat and tidy.  I have a bunch of outdoor planters that I am thinking of giving away.

As I wrote this, I finally Googled how to get rid of old propane canisters.  Turns out they can be left next to any Blue Rhino exchange and they will take and recycle for free.  So two old 5-gallon canisters will be going away this weekend.

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #3039 on: October 19, 2019, 03:34:45 PM »
I'm going through my clothes again after a significant declutter last year.  Today I tacked my bedroom closet and culled about 6 tank tops that don't fit my chest right, 2 sports bras that are too small, and several like-new pairs of slipper socks (I don't like the ones with little rubber bits on the bottom and these were a gift).

I'd like to go through my entire apartment again, including the sections I didn't get to the last round.  It's a good winter project!

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3040 on: October 21, 2019, 06:07:24 PM »
Finally ready to complete my list!

97.  Wrecked corn broom - garbage
98.  Empty cassette box - garbage
99.  Worn out tee-shirt (another one) - fabric recycling
100. Dog book - animal rescue garage sale

And, because I've decided to keep the vintage cereal bowl, I'll add item 101 - another plastic plant pot.

So, 21 days late, but got her done!  Some things still need to leave the house, which I hope to get done by Nov. 1, since I'll be out of town soon.  I'm going to try for another 25 items by Christmas.  I'm not sure I can find that many things; if I do, I likely won't have anything left that I don't really want.  I still have quite a few books left, which I'll read down and donate any I don't want to read a second time.  Given that I'm 58, I'm starting to get more realistic about this!

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #3041 on: October 21, 2019, 06:20:22 PM »
Went through my shoebox-sized memento box and got rid of some cards and random papers (went into compost bin). I have another small box of personal papers/journals which I have labelled 'on the event of my death please burn'. I am only 52 but it's always good to be prepared, according to  'The Swedish Art of Death Cleaning'. I really don't want anyone reading my private thoughts after I am dead!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3042 on: October 21, 2019, 07:41:55 PM »
Most of the old work pants are in the donation box! Got a couple still going through the wash.

Also pulled out more of the winter stuff, and went through summer stuff before putting it away. Various items added to the box. The box is overflowing. I'll get to it - if nothing else, I want to paint that room this year, so I will have to clear it all out!

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3043 on: October 21, 2019, 07:55:56 PM »
My church is sponsoring a refugee family from Afghanistan, and some time ago we set up an industrial sewing machine for the mom. I don't know what she sews, but today I got it together to go through my bins and picked out some nice yards of fabric that I acquired ages ago but will never get around to making into anything.  She went through it and indicated that she wanted all of it, so we were both psyched.  She doesn't speak much English at all and I think she is bored and isolated.

I also passed on a Halloween costume for her youngest daughter.  I tried to explain the concept of Halloween and there was a lot of smiling and nodding but I don't think it went through. I can't imagine what she thought of my charade of pulling on a mask (grimace, motions near face) and dropping candy (sprinkling motion) in a pumpkin-shaped bucket (rounded shape with hands, than motion of hoisting something). Hopefully the older kids will translate, and nobody will be the only child in the parade without a costume.

The big de-cluttering of the basement is well underway. 
There were a number of low hanging fruits - a faux leather gift box from CP Hotels containing three potato shaped rocks and a small drawing of a banana.
That made me laugh!!

« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 07:58:13 PM by Poundwise »

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3044 on: October 21, 2019, 07:57:51 PM »
Two more books moved to the share library at work. maybe Accidental Declutter Fail - I've lost my headphone case with my old reliable mp3 player in it. It's not at work, in any of my bags, in any of the regular spots where I temporarily put it down. Mystery!

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3045 on: October 22, 2019, 07:58:55 AM »
I installed an HD antenna outside.  To run the wire, I had to go into our knee wall attic space and move a bunch of junk to get to the hole where the wire goes through.  While I was at it, some mats we bought in Hawaii and brought home (don't even know why) in 1986 and haven't been used since went into the wood furnace along with a pile of empty boxes.  Took a pile of junk (old kids toys and such) and put the plastic in recycling and other in the trash.  Went through random stuff in the room and pulled a couple paper grocery bags worth of plastic (again, mostly kids toys) into recycling.  Most of these toys are for kids age zero to maybe 5.  My youngest is 19.  I gotta start burning lego boxes.  My older son sold off legos a couple summers ago while looking for a job and made several thousand dollars.  But we're down to maybe a grocery bag full of legos mixed with megablox and a ton of boxes.  Time to get rid of them.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #3046 on: October 22, 2019, 01:05:20 PM »
@Poundwise glad my personal humiliation was not in vain.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3047 on: October 25, 2019, 07:35:43 AM »
Car Jack, congratulations on getting some $$$ for the Legos. I tried to sell a bag of them, but no interest on Craigslist, even at dirt cheap prices. Must have been the wrong kind. They were the blocks with round pegs for connecting to other blocks. Donated them all to Salvation Army.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3048 on: October 25, 2019, 07:42:35 AM »
Patting myself on the back, remembering all the stuff I have donated or sold over the last year.  Not going to the car boot sale today since there is a social gathering I want to attend.

I am doing some microdecluttering, though. Found an old bag of English Breakfast tea, and am brewing it now. One less teabag in the place!

Also found about one bag full of junk to toss, and 2 bags of knicknacks that didn't sell, that are going to Salvation Army donation place.

May rearrange some boxes to expose more space today. 

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3049 on: October 25, 2019, 07:57:17 AM »
Yesterday I cleaned out a wicker basket that is square and kind of bigger than a milk crate. Once I started digging in it was like uh oh...what have I gotten myself into. A lot of stuff in the basket were ebay supplies such as envelopes cardboard squares. That was only the tip of the iceberg I dug out catalogs, magazines, plastic bags, crappy cardboard that was bent. I found an envelope with some software a friend sent me years ago. There was a shoe polish kit that has about 4 different bottles of who knows what in it brand new and unopened. Too many mailing envelopes that were relocated elsewhere. A hat, an old glue package I guess I kept to put the tube back into but never did. It was overflowing and no idea how that one basket held it all. When I got done, I had a huge bag of crap for recycle. I put a bunch of stuff back in the basket but no where near what I had! This must be some kind of a magic magician's basket to have held so much stuff. What I have in there now fills it completely so how did I manage to jam it so full?