Author Topic: Epic FU money stories  (Read 2794898 times)

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
Re: Epic FU money stories
« Reply #1350 on: December 23, 2016, 10:03:16 AM »
I just wish that they gave a class in High School about building a FU buffer to allow one to switch jobs/talk head high/not care about consequences, much faster than what I did.

THIS.

Has anyone volunteered time to discuss FU / FIRE to their local high school before?  I'm thinking it would just take the support of the current economics teacher and their principal.  It is something I'm strongly considering since it would have helped me greatly coming out of HS and into college...

(We can start a new thread if need be).
This is on my post-FIRE list. I would love to volunteer to give kids a head start. It doesn't have to be as complicated as we get here on this forum but anything that gets their minds thinking about those types of decisions early will change their lives if they run with it. It's probably one of the most broadly impactful things kids could learn.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1351 on: December 23, 2016, 12:40:01 PM »
Not really a FU tale more of a FTS (funk this shunt):

In France I had two successive jobs in not doing so well companies  as an industrial designer where I took a fairly low pay with the promise of large increases based on earnings.

As an aside, the industrial design world is littered with people who get the degree, a black turtleneck and think they are artists. This muddles the field for people who like the graft not the pedantic tittle.
For me, design is being an interface between client, marketing, management, suppliers, manufacturing and reality: 70% whacking your head against the desk to make opposites a whole, 25% cad work to mash thing sufficiently fine so engineers can digest it and 5% creation (not art).

In any case, 1st company I help bring back from the dead, not only create great stuff for one off's but do it so they can be rented out indifinetly after = big income boost!
So after 3 years what about, my raise boss? No can do no money. But boss proceeds to buy a new car, go on exotic holidays, new big house AND a new building in the middle of naught that has a somewhat dangerous 1 hour plus commute - and if I do any overtime, I miss the last train leaving me no option but sleeping under my desk. I resign after 4 months, one hour before a performance review. They never managed to replace me, had to sell the new building and are more or less to back to how they were when I started. In any case, it was painful due to no FU fund.

Shortly got a new job in a great little company that needed help. I managed to reform the drafting methods, because a de facto commercial architect because they never managed to hire one who was competent. In any case, after 5 great years, no salary increase, same excuses, but bosses had nice houses, nice cars, Patek watches but my pay was two low to get on the housing ladder.

So I met this great Flemish lass, slowly disengaged myself  because I had FU starter fund and moved to Belgium.

After struggling, found a job in a impressive local firm... and saw after a few moths that they were trying to pull the same MBA playbook trick on me, but I stayed on until I could find a way out while my DW was pregnant. Finally, burnt out of industrial design, mostly when I understood that all my staff was earning way more than me for less stress and way shorter hours. So l resigned and gave them a very long debrief on how they were massively mismanaging ressources out of arrogance about production - surprisingly, this got into their thick heads, the GM was ousted and the most urgent of my production improvements implemented. In any case, leaving was much easier because I had a 10 month FU cushion.

But I had had it with industrial design, sadly said an internal FU to the whole industry, and went back to Uni to become a Unlimited Machine Room officer.

Took four years to do three, so it was hard financially, finished with the "best of promotion" and "best final project" gongs, got a 1st job in salvage then got hired for a sailing position and am earning about 1.7x my last industrial design job doing something fun (yes, flanges are fun). :)

I just wish that they gave a class in High School about building a FU buffer to allow one to switch jobs/talk head high/not care about consequences, much faster than what I did.

I am sorry you went through what appears to be the same issue three times.  While I'm glad it all worked out well in the end, you should also look at what you could have done better and what you could learn. 

Learn how to negotiate better! 

Your bosses with the Pateks clearly outmaneuvered you when it came to negotiating.  While we all would love to think that we will be rewarded fairly for our efforts, the truth of the matter is that you are only worth what you can negotiate for yourself.   If you want to be rewarded based upon your impact to the company, then go on commission.  If you want a nice, safe salary, then realize that when there is little risk, the reward is not as great. 

Glad things worked out for you in the end.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1352 on: December 23, 2016, 02:37:35 PM »
Or you could find a job with an honourable and competent boss instead of a highly paid MBA.   I've worked for both types over the years, and the first is much better than the second.

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #1353 on: December 23, 2016, 05:07:08 PM »

THIS.

Has anyone volunteered time to discuss FU / FIRE to their local high school before?  I'm thinking it would just take the support of the current economics teacher and their principal.  It is something I'm strongly considering since it would have helped me greatly coming out of HS and into college...

This is on my post-FIRE list. I would love to volunteer to give kids a head start. It doesn't have to be as complicated as we get here on this forum but anything that gets their minds thinking about those types of decisions early will change their lives if they run with it. It's probably one of the most broadly impactful things kids could learn.

I volunteered with ja.org a few times. They offer a "Personal Finance" lesson series among many others that teachers can request targeted at many different age groups (how to start a business, how the stock market works, how Micro/Macro economics works, etc.) The personal finance lessons were really good stuff like "how to budget, how credit cards work, how to save for retirement" etc. Definitely look into it.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1354 on: December 23, 2016, 07:08:03 PM »
What do you mean...FU stands for 'Forget You'....

haha, agreed. 'FU' would never fly in any school.

Financially Unconstrained. ;)

Glad I asked for advice!  ;D

Maybe re-label some things, but at least rolling through the "shockingly Simple Math" with them might set some on the right track.  Good opportunity to discuss why the stock market always goes up and whatnot.

I used "shockingly simple math" with college freshmen this fall, and they noticed and giggled over the word "badassity" in the header image. Just FYI.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1355 on: December 23, 2016, 09:56:38 PM »

Maybe re-label some things, but at least rolling through the "shockingly Simple Math" with them might set some on the right track.  Good opportunity to discuss why the stock market always goes up and whatnot.

I used "shockingly simple math" with college freshmen this fall, and they noticed and giggled over the word "badassity" in the header image. Just FYI.

The perfect intro to explaining FU money, how Pete was told he had to remove that to keep the 30k/yr ads from Chase, and he told them to jump in a lake.  Not needing to have your decisions driven by money is the definition of FU money.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

GilbertB

• Stubble
    • Sci-fi Meandering
« Reply #1356 on: December 23, 2016, 11:18:36 PM »

I am sorry you went through what appears to be the same issue three times.  While I'm glad it all worked out well in the end, you should also look at what you could have done better and what you could learn. 

Learn how to negotiate better! 

Your bosses with the Pateks clearly outmaneuvered you when it came to negotiating.  While we all would love to think that we will be rewarded fairly for our efforts, the truth of the matter is that you are only worth what you can negotiate for yourself.   If you want to be rewarded based upon your impact to the company, then go on commission.  If you want a nice, safe salary, then realize that when there is little risk, the reward is not as great. 

Glad things worked out for you in the end.
Yup, you are right, good at negotiating for companies, crap at doing it for me.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1357 on: December 24, 2016, 03:17:23 AM »

The perfect intro to explaining FU money, how Pete was told he had to remove that to keep the 30k/yr ads from Chase, and he told them to jump in a lake.  Not needing to have your decisions driven by money is the definition of FU money.

Yep, I'd forgotten that or I would have used it. But I have that luxury - not so much with the  high schools. Are they less prudish elsewhere?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1358 on: December 24, 2016, 04:04:45 AM »
Or you just do it and don't ask. ;)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1359 on: December 24, 2016, 04:45:54 AM »
Or you just do it and don't ask. ;)

Works if you're already inside the school (and tenured). But the discussion above was about approach schools to add programming. You'd want to keep that out of any demo materials in that case.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1360 on: December 24, 2016, 04:50:21 AM »
Good point.

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1361 on: December 24, 2016, 08:32:45 AM »

THIS.

My daughter had a class where they had to create a budget. It is a good start, but there were some things she pointed out to me that SHE thought were weird.  For example, you were FORCED to budget for a phone and home internet. You were not allowed to get a roommate to cut home expenses in half.  Better than nothing I guess.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1362 on: December 24, 2016, 11:48:59 AM »

THIS.

My daughter had a class where they had to create a budget. It is a good start, but there were some things she pointed out to me that SHE thought were weird.  For example, you were FORCED to budget for a phone and home internet. You were not allowed to get a roommate to cut home expenses in half.  Better than nothing I guess.

We had a couple of days (maybe a week) of that stuff when I was in High School.... some years ago. Nothing in the budget was mandated other than documentation of costs. Your job/salary was given to you from a random pool. I "joined" the National Guard to supplement (with a newspaper clipping) and ended up with $30k/year savings.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #1363 on: December 24, 2016, 11:59:50 AM »

I had to do that in middle school! I don't think they required home internet, because it was actually somewhat uncommon and expensive in rural areas at that time, but there were other weird "Must-haves", including having a car.

I think my constant stream of Mustachian philosophy must have impacted my mom, who teaches elementary school, because when she taught that section recently she let the kids do whatever they wanted, and some of it turned out pretty funny. I think one kid who was a supreme court judge got fired, and another kid who owned a hair salon hired him to sweep up hair for minimum wage. I think there were a few weddings and roommate situations. It's amazing what kind of stuff kids come up.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1364 on: December 24, 2016, 01:43:12 PM »

I had to do that in middle school! I don't think they required home internet, because it was actually somewhat uncommon and expensive in rural areas at that time, but there were other weird "Must-haves", including having a car.

I think my constant stream of Mustachian philosophy must have impacted my mom, who teaches elementary school, because when she taught that section recently she let the kids do whatever they wanted, and some of it turned out pretty funny. I think one kid who was a supreme court judge got fired, and another kid who owned a hair salon hired him to sweep up hair for minimum wage. I think there were a few weddings and roommate situations. It's amazing what kind of stuff kids come up.

"Home Internet" didn't really exist yet when I did mine.

mustachianteacher

• Stubble
« Reply #1365 on: December 24, 2016, 03:24:33 PM »
I teach middle school and taught a personal finance elective three times. I quit doing it when admin started treating the class as a math elective for kids who needed math remediation, but it was fun the first two semesters!

I did teach the concept of "FU Money," but I called it having a "Freedom Fund." I also had the kids create a budget, but treated it more like the game LIFE: I let them pick whether they wanted to develop a budget based on working straight out of high school or working with a college degree. Then they were each assigned a few "life events" at random -- things like having to buy plane tickets for a funeral, needing to buy new tires, getting a raise, helping out a sick friend, etc. It was interesting, and I think most of the kids enjoyed it. There was also a really cool interactive game at the time called Bad Credit Hotel, but it doesn't seem like it exists anymore.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1366 on: December 24, 2016, 06:10:05 PM »

"Home Internet" didn't really exist yet when I did mine.

I remember when our local drive in theater posted
on their sign "Save Free TV". Cable TV was starting to
be connected to homes.

uppy

• Stubble
« Reply #1367 on: December 24, 2016, 07:59:43 PM »
When I was a teenager, I worked at a sandwich shop (won't say which but it let's just say it's a national franchise). I was already managing the store while the "store manager" was dating the regional manager and therefore not really doing any managing. I asked for a raise, they offered -- literally -- a 10 cent raise and a PAGER so I could be "on call" on weekends, and a new job title. I guess they thought I would be flattered?

When I told them to F themselves, I had zero FU money, but it felt so damn good to see the regional manager crap his pants because he hadn't prepared for the event that I refused and quit. He had to cover all my shifts until they found someone new. Still makes me chuckle. I was a teen living with 4 friends in a cheap ass house with no real bills and a variety of equally shitty jobs available -- In short, I was invincible. He was a 40-something dude dating a 20 y/o employee, and working at a sandwich shop late hours for who knows how long.

Suckas.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #1368 on: December 26, 2016, 08:19:37 AM »
Mine isn't all that epic, but I still like it.

I was at my most financially destitute; I had just under three years of college left, and after paying tuition I just had enough for rent and $12/week of groceries.

We got a new boss at work who liked to yell at and demoralize people. It made what had been a fun college job a nightmare, but I depended on the paycheck and the health insurance. At one point, I got transferred to the food section. On my first day as "manager" there (I hadn't had any training yet), we sold out of most of the food before closing. The boss came by and screamed at me for not ordering enough food (how could I have ordered the food the day before it was my job to do so?). She continued screaming in my face until I cried, and then she yelled at me for crying.

I went to school the next day and asked one of my professors if I could get a job tutoring. He hired me on the spot. I went by the student health center and got health insurance, then I went to work that afternoon and quit. My boss's response, "You aren't even going to give me the courtesy of two weeks' notice?" I said no and held my tongue instead of saying exactly why I was quitting.

My tutoring gig didn't pay much, but it gave me incredible experience and connections that directly led to the career I love now. I also was randomly offered a second job at just the right time. I was a janitor in a theater, but it meant I could see all the musicals I wanted for free, and since a lot of my responsibilities included laundry and my boss couldn't think of anything else for me to do during that time since the bathrooms were already clean and I couldn't clean the house until the audience left, I had built in study time.

At the time I quit, I knew there was a real possibility that I'd be living in my car and using the campus gym for showers, and that was such a better option than dealing with my evil boss one more day, that it didn't scare me. That fleeting fearlessness led to some of the best experiences of my life.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #1369 on: December 26, 2016, 09:10:09 AM »

I was at my most financially destitute; I had just under three years of college left, and after paying tuition I just had enough for rent and $12/week of groceries.

We got a new boss at work who liked to yell at and demoralize people. It made what had been a fun college job a nightmare, but I depended on the paycheck and the health insurance. At one point, I got transferred to the food section. On my first day as "manager" there (I hadn't had any training yet), we sold out of most of the food before closing. The boss came by and screamed at me for not ordering enough food (how could I have ordered the food the day before it was my job to do so?). She continued screaming in my face until I cried, and then she yelled at me for crying.

I went to school the next day and asked one of my professors if I could get a job tutoring. He hired me on the spot. I went by the student health center and got health insurance, then I went to work that afternoon and quit. My boss's response, "You aren't even going to give me the courtesy of two weeks' notice?" I said no and held my tongue instead of saying exactly why I was quitting.

My tutoring gig didn't pay much, but it gave me incredible experience and connections that directly led to the career I love now. I also was randomly offered a second job at just the right time. I was a janitor in a theater, but it meant I could see all the musicals I wanted for free, and since a lot of my responsibilities included laundry and my boss couldn't think of anything else for me to do during that time since the bathrooms were already clean and I couldn't clean the house until the audience left, I had built in study time.

At the time I quit, I knew there was a real possibility that I'd be living in my car and using the campus gym for showers, and that was such a better option than dealing with my evil boss one more day, that it didn't scare me. That fleeting fearlessness led to some of the best experiences of my life.

Mezzie, that is seriously Epic! To leave without a stache to carry you over is so brave...

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1370 on: December 26, 2016, 05:51:50 PM »

Mezzie, that is seriously Epic! To leave without a stache to carry you over is so brave...

I agree, it is definitely epic.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1371 on: December 26, 2016, 09:05:12 PM »
+3. Epic, indeed!

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1372 on: January 09, 2017, 07:24:06 PM »
Ok, not remotely epic, but gotta keep this thread live, because it entertained me my entire Christmas break.  My story happened in the tech crash, before I felt like I really had FU money.  But we had dual incomes and low expenses relative to our salaries.

DH took an insecure job to move near me when we married; it was sad but not a huge shock when that company went under.  His company offered to transfer him out west, and I found a job with a company there (I'm a lawyer - 30%+ paycut sucked, but jobs were scarce and I was glad to find one).  Alas, the job was pure hell.  The big boss was a fan of the "swoop and poop" management style -- she'd swoop in, yell at you that any idiot would know to do ABC, disappear for a month, then swoop back in for a status check and yell at you for doing ABC, because any idiot would know to do XYZ.  Management knew they were losing good people, but the CEO refused to fire her because he trusted her.

It all came to a head when I had a miscarriage and subsequent D&C and missed a week.  During that week, one of my matters that had been dormant for months suddenly came back to life.  My first day back in the office, she called a meeting of everyone in the department and parceled out all of my work, without ever looking at or saying a word to me (who knew ghosting was a management style in 1999??).  I went back to my office, bawled, pulled myself together, and went back to ask her why she removed me from the project.  She fed me a line about being concerned about my health and not wanting to burden me at a tough time.  Right.  6 months later when I asked for a raise/promotion (the supervisor I had been hired to assist quit two weeks after I arrived, and I had done her job for well over a year), I was turned down, because I had "really fallen down on that project."

Meanwhile, we had built our house, planning to stay there forever.  So I went home, again in tears, and pulled out Quicken and worked the budget until I realized that I could quit and we wouldn't lose the house.  And the weight lifted:  all the crap didn't matter any more, because I didn't NEED that job.  So I started making plans to give my notice. 

Then they announced that the company was being bought, and the severance package was awesome (on the order of 9-10 mos. salary even for me).  So I said, well, hell, I can manage a few more months of this for that kind of cash.  So I hung on for 9 more months.  And damned if the big boss didn't then come meet with me and say "congratulations -- I managed to save your job!"  WTF?  You treat me like shit for 2.5 years, and NOW you start looking out for me?  I quit the next day and went back to telecommuting to my old firm.  Worked well less than half time (had a baby that year), still made 3/4 of what I did at the hell job.

And demonstrating the power of karma:  said evil boss was herself the one who got fired as part of the transition, and the woman who came in and took her place tried very hard to convince me to stay.  I turned her down, politely -- and a few years later we moved back east, and I am now a partner at the same firm I went back to, making probably 4-5x what I made at the hell job.  And the lady I politely turned down is a periodic firm client.

But my DH has my favorite line.  Now, I should say that he is happy in his current job and has zero intention of quitting (maybe ever).  But one day, about 2-3 years after he started, his boss was giving him a hard time about not having any decorations or personal stuff in his office.  And his buddy spoke up and said "his wife's a partner in a law firm, he can be gone in an hour if he gets too pissed off."  And DH just smiled and said, "I may need A job, but I don't need THIS job."  Needless to say, he has felt free to take time off as needed for kid duty (as have I).  Makes two full-time jobs and two kids much more livable on a daily basis.

FU money is awesome.  And cash in the bank isn't the only way to get it -- while you're still building the 'stache, a happily-employed spouse + living on one income goes a long, long way.

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1373 on: January 10, 2017, 05:58:30 AM »
Ok, not remotely epic, but gotta keep this thread live, because it entertained me my entire Christmas break.  My story happened in the tech crash, before I felt like I really had FU money.  But we had dual incomes and low expenses relative to our salaries.

DH took an insecure job to move near me when we married; it was sad but not a huge shock when that company went under.  His company offered to transfer him out west, and I found a job with a company there (I'm a lawyer - 30%+ paycut sucked, but jobs were scarce and I was glad to find one).  Alas, the job was pure hell.  The big boss was a fan of the "swoop and poop" management style -- she'd swoop in, yell at you that any idiot would know to do ABC, disappear for a month, then swoop back in for a status check and yell at you for doing ABC, because any idiot would know to do XYZ.  Management knew they were losing good people, but the CEO refused to fire her because he trusted her.

It all came to a head when I had a miscarriage and subsequent D&C and missed a week.  During that week, one of my matters that had been dormant for months suddenly came back to life.  My first day back in the office, she called a meeting of everyone in the department and parceled out all of my work, without ever looking at or saying a word to me (who knew ghosting was a management style in 1999??).  I went back to my office, bawled, pulled myself together, and went back to ask her why she removed me from the project.  She fed me a line about being concerned about my health and not wanting to burden me at a tough time.  Right.  6 months later when I asked for a raise/promotion (the supervisor I had been hired to assist quit two weeks after I arrived, and I had done her job for well over a year), I was turned down, because I had "really fallen down on that project."

Meanwhile, we had built our house, planning to stay there forever.  So I went home, again in tears, and pulled out Quicken and worked the budget until I realized that I could quit and we wouldn't lose the house.  And the weight lifted:  all the crap didn't matter any more, because I didn't NEED that job.  So I started making plans to give my notice. 

Then they announced that the company was being bought, and the severance package was awesome (on the order of 9-10 mos. salary even for me).  So I said, well, hell, I can manage a few more months of this for that kind of cash.  So I hung on for 9 more months.  And damned if the big boss didn't then come meet with me and say "congratulations -- I managed to save your job!"  WTF?  You treat me like shit for 2.5 years, and NOW you start looking out for me?  I quit the next day and went back to telecommuting to my old firm.  Worked well less than half time (had a baby that year), still made 3/4 of what I did at the hell job.

And demonstrating the power of karma:  said evil boss was herself the one who got fired as part of the transition, and the woman who came in and took her place tried very hard to convince me to stay.  I turned her down, politely -- and a few years later we moved back east, and I am now a partner at the same firm I went back to, making probably 4-5x what I made at the hell job.  And the lady I politely turned down is a periodic firm client.

But my DH has my favorite line.  Now, I should say that he is happy in his current job and has zero intention of quitting (maybe ever).  But one day, about 2-3 years after he started, his boss was giving him a hard time about not having any decorations or personal stuff in his office.  And his buddy spoke up and said "his wife's a partner in a law firm, he can be gone in an hour if he gets too pissed off."  And DH just smiled and said, "I may need A job, but I don't need THIS job."  Needless to say, he has felt free to take time off as needed for kid duty (as have I).  Makes two full-time jobs and two kids much more livable on a daily basis.

FU money is awesome.  And cash in the bank isn't the only way to get it -- while you're still building the 'stache, a happily-employed spouse + living on one income goes a long, long way.
Sounds VERY epic to me. Thank you for sharing.

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1374 on: January 10, 2017, 06:08:01 AM »
Heard a very different definition of FU money yesterday.

I watched a documentary called sour grapes, which does a good job of following a wine scam ($1,000's per bottle, millions of dollars kind of wine). In it, FU money was described as the chunk of money dedicated to spending on nothing, just for the sake of spending.

I have always considered it the money you are willing to spend(savings) to avoid having to do what others want you to do.

I think she really missed the point. It is not the money, it is the freedom that the money provides.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1375 on: January 10, 2017, 06:10:41 AM »

But my DH has my favorite line.  Now, I should say that he is happy in his current job and has zero intention of quitting (maybe ever).  But one day, about 2-3 years after he started, his boss was giving him a hard time about not having any decorations or personal stuff in his office.  And his buddy spoke up and said "his wife's a partner in a law firm, he can be gone in an hour if he gets too pissed off. "And DH just smiled and said, "I may need A job, but I don't need THIS job." Needless to say, he has felt free to take time off as needed for kid duty (as have I).  Makes two full-time jobs and two kids much more livable on a daily basis.

Love his line, it really shows how FU money gives you power and flexability in your job.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1376 on: January 10, 2017, 09:57:47 AM »

Very very epic.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1377 on: January 10, 2017, 10:09:27 AM »
And DH just smiled and said, "I may need A job, but I don't need THIS job."  Needless to say, he has felt free to take time off as needed for kid duty (as have I).  Makes two full-time jobs and two kids much more livable on a daily basis.

I've said something similar, without FU money.

If you have a standard of living that can be met on 1(ish) salary, and no debt, even no FU money means that your spouse's job is all the safety net you need (and their safety net is your job - it goes both ways). You (collective) need ONE OF you to have a job. Neither of you need THESE PARTICULAR jobs.

As I found out when my husband found out he was getting laid off during my 8th month of pregnancy. We JUST paid off all debt. We have a paid-off car and a VERY affordable mortgage in a place we love living. Maternity leave payments for me + unemployment for him = still 1K going into savings every month. We're FINE.

Meanwhile, his colleagues were freaking out for him and seemed to think that we were going to starve or lose the house. Like... no. He'll take a few months off with the babies, and then get another job, and we'll be FINE.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #1378 on: January 10, 2017, 11:49:42 AM »
Yay Kitsune clan!

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1379 on: January 10, 2017, 01:33:07 PM »
My wife works for a major company (you probably have multiple items in your home produced by this company) who have recently announced that they are delaying the timing of their paychecks this march.

Basically, they will be holding all their employees' money for an additional week. I've located some other funds equivalent to one week's pay for my wife and set it aside--ready to go--but I feel for all her co-workers who do not have that kind of flexibility.

homestead neohio

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal - Seeds Sprout
« Reply #1380 on: January 10, 2017, 01:42:03 PM »
My wife works for a major company (you probably have multiple items in your home produced by this company) who have recently announced that they are delaying the timing of their paychecks this march.

Basically, they will be holding all their employees' money for an additional week. I've located some other funds equivalent to one week's pay for my wife and set it aside--ready to go--but I feel for all her co-workers who do not have that kind of flexibility.

This is happening to me and my co-workers right now as a result of an acquisition.  MegaCorp delays payment 1 week, Medium corp did not.  It is RIDICULOUS how much people focus on this!  I guess it really matters to them...  I know many people spend everything they make, but with several weeks of advanced notice you'd think this would not be a hardship, especially when you found out months ago you are getting laid off this year!  Show some spending restraint and have savings, people!  They are not taking the money, just paying it a week later.

To all those people who can say FU (or otherwise push back so they don't get to that point) based on a partner's salary and low expenses, hooray!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1381 on: January 10, 2017, 03:48:38 PM »
Having FU Money is "A Great Thing" (TM).

Occasionally, however, there's something even more liberating.

It's "FU Time".

I'll give an example.

My dad was in the US Army and stationed in France back in the 1950s.   He was driving in Paris down a long, one-lane alley.  He was about 3 car lengths from the end of the block and the cross street when a Frenchman pulled into the alley going the opposite direction.

The alley was too narrow for them to pass each other, so someone was going to have to back up and let the other person continue on their way.  My dad, having traveled nearly the entire block, thought the other guy should back up one entire car length.  The other fellow felt my dad should back up the entire length of the block.

The both sat in the respective cars gesturing to the other person to back up.  After doing this several times, the Frenchman got out of his vehicle and stood next to the driver's door, gesturing even more strongly that my dad should back up.  My dad shook his head "No" and repeated his gestures to the other fellow to back up.

This was apparently unacceptable, so the Frenchman came over beside my dad's car door and repeated his gesture.

My dad politely gestured to wait just one moment and got out of his car and locked it.  He then sat down at the corner café and firmly stated, "Garcon, vin rouge!"    (Waiter, a glass of red wine!)

With that my dad clearly communicated that he had all F'n day to sit there and enjoy the day.

The Frenchman got in his car, backed up, and found another route to his destination.

FU Time.

We had an absolute master of FU Time in the USA some decades ago.  His name was Saul Alinsky and he was a community organizer for poor folks.   He realized that the three biggest resources the poor unemployed had were (1) their numbers, (2) they were bored and thus cheaply amused, and (3) they had ALL DAY to cause issues for the rich and complacent.

That's why, even to this day, decades after he died, the right wing spreads lies about him.   He scared them that bad.

appleblossom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1382 on: January 11, 2017, 12:48:48 AM »
Heard a very different definition of FU money yesterday.

I watched a documentary called sour grapes, which does a good job of following a wine scam ($1,000's per bottle, millions of dollars kind of wine). In it, FU money was described as the chunk of money dedicated to spending on nothing, just for the sake of spending.

I have always considered it the money you are willing to spend(savings) to avoid having to do what others want you to do.

I think she really missed the point. It is not the money, it is the freedom that the money provides.

I noticed the same thing. Good film though.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1383 on: January 11, 2017, 01:13:40 AM »

This is happening to me and my co-workers right now as a result of an acquisition.  MegaCorp delays payment 1 week, Medium corp did not.  It is RIDICULOUS how much people focus on this!  I guess it really matters to them...  I know many people spend everything they make, but with several weeks of advanced notice you'd think this would not be a hardship, especially when you found out months ago you are getting laid off this year!  Show some spending restraint and have savings, people!  They are not taking the money, just paying it a week later.
Hmmm, i agree with your perspective, homestead neohio. I was kind of puzzled by TT's need to "locate other funds" to cover a one week pay gap.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1384 on: January 11, 2017, 07:02:25 AM »

Hmmm, i agree with your perspective, homestead neohio. I was kind of puzzled by TT's need to "locate other funds" to cover a one week pay gap.

Enh. I don't keep a paycheck's worth of buffer in my checking account, and I have automatic payments (mortgage, life insurance) that come out of it, so I'd have to 'locate other funds' out of either my savings account, or an investment account, to cover the payments due to come out.

It's not that we don't HAVE the money, it's that the money is in a different spot.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1385 on: January 11, 2017, 07:20:25 AM »

As I found out when my husband found out he was getting laid off during my 8th month of pregnancy.

You too?  That's exactly what happened to us.  I was not nearly as calm about it as you, especially since it had nothing to do with the company's performance (some post-merger tax writeoff thing, followed shortly by the announcement that the company had met financial targets so the CEO got something like $900M in options).  Still angry about that one. . . .

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1386 on: January 11, 2017, 09:02:48 AM »

Enh. I don't keep a paycheck's worth of buffer in my checking account, and I have automatic payments (mortgage, life insurance) that come out of it, so I'd have to 'locate other funds' out of either my savings account, or an investment account, to cover the payments due to come out.

It's not that we don't HAVE the money, it's that the money is in a different spot.

Same. I'd actually probably just ask my dad for a loan for a week or two--only because it would be a lot easier than transferring the money from one place to another, and then back to said place.

Either that or float more things on a credit card.

SweetRedWine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1387 on: January 11, 2017, 10:58:52 AM »
These stories are so great and inspiring.  Thank you to all for helping me get through a stressful workday.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #1388 on: January 13, 2017, 06:15:11 PM »

You see, the way that my bank account is set up...

--- Kevin Hart routine.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1389 on: January 14, 2017, 02:19:07 PM »

You see, the way that my bank account is set up...

--- Kevin Hart routine.

Love it!

EricL

« Reply #1390 on: January 17, 2017, 09:45:38 PM »
No stories.  Just following.

everinprogress

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1391 on: January 17, 2017, 09:55:08 PM »

To all those people who can say FU (or otherwise push back so they don't get to that point) based on a partner's salary and low expenses, hooray!

This sort of happened at my work last year, except they let everyone know 6-9 MONTHS in advance. Basically many sites were all on different pay schedules, and they were streamlining everything to be on the same schedule to make payroll's job easier. And provided multiple presentations, emails, and handouts outlining how the transition would work. Also provided forms to let people arrange in advance to have overtime or vacation hours paid out so that the one cheque wouldn't look smaller than what they were used to, due to having 6 shifts in it instead of 10 or whatever (voluntary). And they arranged to have it be the 3rd paycheque in one of the 2 '3 paycheque' months of the year (payed biweekly). And they arranged a payroll advance for people to sign up for if they needed that could be payed back over time. I literally can't think of anything else they could have done to make it easier on people...but...
there was still sooo much whining, a rather large number of people convinced they weren't going to be paid for some shifts, people convince that this was completely unfair and impossible.
It was a relief to have some time off during the transition, just so I didn't have to hear about it so much

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1392 on: January 18, 2017, 12:07:37 PM »

This sort of happened at my work last year, except they let everyone know 6-9 MONTHS in advance. Basically many sites were all on different pay schedules, and they were streamlining everything to be on the same schedule to make payroll's job easier. And provided multiple presentations, emails, and handouts outlining how the transition would work. Also provided forms to let people arrange in advance to have overtime or vacation hours paid out so that the one cheque wouldn't look smaller than what they were used to, due to having 6 shifts in it instead of 10 or whatever (voluntary). And they arranged to have it be the 3rd paycheque in one of the 2 '3 paycheque' months of the year (payed biweekly). And they arranged a payroll advance for people to sign up for if they needed that could be payed back over time. I literally can't think of anything else they could have done to make it easier on people...but...
there was still sooo much whining, a rather large number of people convinced they weren't going to be paid for some shifts, people convince that this was completely unfair and impossible.
It was a relief to have some time off during the transition, just so I didn't have to hear about it so much
To be fair I would complain. When my company went from monthly to biweekly they wanted to start the new system with a 2 week grace period, which means that work I do is delayed payment for 2 weeks. It was explained that over the course of our career it would balance since our last cheque would come out 2 weeks after we left and it would be the same. In the short term I would have less money to invest that year, effectively I would lose out on $50/year for every year I worked here. 

Its a tried and true MegaCorp windfall, delay pay for a week and gain access to a million dollars ($1000/employee and 1000 employees) that technically should be put aside but can earn interest at 5%. When dealing with invoices its standard practice of Megacorps to pay late, they gain interest off several million dollars that way, its a simple trick that can pay an accountants salary.

If you don't mind losing a few dollars to your company that's your business. Its shady to earn a few dollars off your employees though, I don't like being taken advantage of even when its small amounts.

My company reversed the decision when confronted with the math. They were hoping to slide it past without anyone noticing. They were surprised anyone would care about losing $50/year, to which the rebuttal was "if its insignificant then why do it? Why keep money if you don't need to?"

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1393 on: January 18, 2017, 02:14:22 PM »
Its a tried and true MegaCorp windfall, delay pay for a week and gain access to a million dollars ($1000/employee and 1000 employees) that technically should be put aside but can earn interest at 5%. When dealing with invoices its standard practice of Megacorps to pay late, they gain interest off several million dollars that way, its a simple trick that can pay an accountants salary.

Actually, the invoices one is frequently related to a company not having their act together to pay on time/early. Which hurts them, because many invoices have a early pay discount - 2/15/net 30 for example. If you pay within 15 days, you get a 2% discount, or it's due within 30 days but no discount. Depending on the interest rates, it is very often financially advantageous to get that discount.

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1394 on: January 18, 2017, 02:27:33 PM »
And DH just smiled and said, "I may need A job, but I don't need THIS job."  Needless to say, he has felt free to take time off as needed for kid duty (as have I).  Makes two full-time jobs and two kids much more livable on a daily basis.

If you have a standard of living that can be met on 1(ish) salary, and no debt, even no FU money means that your spouse's job is all the safety net you need (and their safety net is your job - it goes both ways). You (collective) need ONE OF you to have a job. Neither of you need THESE PARTICULAR jobs.

As I found out when my husband found out he was getting laid off during my 8th month of pregnancy. We JUST paid off all debt. We have a paid-off car and a VERY affordable mortgage in a place we love living. Maternity leave payments for me + unemployment for him = still 1K going into savings every month. We're FINE.

Meanwhile, his colleagues were freaking out for him and seemed to think that we were going to starve or lose the house. Like... no. He'll take a few months off with the babies, and then get another job, and we'll be FINE.

I never considered this an FU story but maybe it is.

My husband quit his job when I was 9 months pregnant to start working in real estate.  I don't remember the exact details but his already messed up schedule was going to be even more messed up, he has some health issues that wasn't working well with his job, plus the plan was always for him to cut back if needed/wanted once kids came around.  We had an emergency fund, I had a higher paying job that provided our benefits, and I had 0 desire to stay at home.  Nobody could believe he would quit his job with a 9 month pregnant wife.  We both got really tired of hear people make a comment of "I can't believe you quit when you are about to have a new baby at home."  He got tired of hearing it because we had FU abilities, I got tired of hearing it because nobody says that shit to a woman that quits when she is 9 months pregnant.

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1395 on: January 18, 2017, 02:49:59 PM »

I never considered this an FU story but maybe it is.

My husband quit his job when I was 9 months pregnant to start working in real estate.  I don't remember the exact details but his already messed up schedule was going to be even more messed up, he has some health issues that wasn't working well with his job, plus the plan was always for him to cut back if needed/wanted once kids came around.  We had an emergency fund, I had a higher paying job that provided our benefits, and I had 0 desire to stay at home.  Nobody could believe he would quit his job with a 9 month pregnant wife.  We both got really tired of hear people make a comment of "I can't believe you quit when you are about to have a new baby at home."  He got tired of hearing it because we had FU abilities, I got tired of hearing it because nobody says that shit to a woman that quits when she is 9 months pregnant.

I think this is the definition of an FU story. Epic, even. Hats off to you both.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1396 on: January 18, 2017, 03:13:02 PM »

If you don't confuse the majority every once in a while, you're not living far enough outside the box :-)  Try not to get annoyed and instead see it as a sign you're on the right track.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1397 on: January 19, 2017, 10:53:55 AM »
I almost just had one 40 minutes ago, but instead, bit my tongue, left the meeting as if nothing unusual had happened, got in my car and started whimpering like a baby.  I wondered why I was crying and really it's not because I give one shit about any of the people in that meeting.  It's because I wanted to get up and quit but I am not close enough to FIRE to quit.  I have plenty of FU money, but at the rate I'm saving at this job, I could FIRE so much faster by staying here and continuing to eat their shit sandwiches.  So I ate their shit.  Again. 

This is the opposite of an FU money story, but I just had to get it out. 

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1398 on: January 19, 2017, 10:58:00 AM »
I almost just had one 40 minutes ago, but instead, bit my tongue, left the meeting as if nothing unusual had happened, got in my car and started whimpering like a baby.  I wondered why I was crying and really it's not because I give one shit about any of the people in that meeting.  It's because I wanted to get up and quit but I am not close enough to FIRE to quit.  I have plenty of FU money, but at the rate I'm saving at this job, I could FIRE so much faster by staying here and continuing to eat their shit sandwiches.  So I ate their shit.  Again. 

An ironic golden handcuff story--ironic in the sense that the ONLY reason you're in them is to get to FIRE faster.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1399 on: January 19, 2017, 11:18:00 AM »

I'm sorry you had a bad day.  On the plus side, you have a strategy, and you are sticking to it through your own strength.  So kudos to you for that!
An ironic golden handcuff story--ironic in the sense that the ONLY reason you're in them is to get to FIRE faster.