Author Topic: Epic FU money stories  (Read 2794935 times)

Imma

• Magnum Stache
Re: Epic FU money stories
« Reply #1950 on: November 10, 2017, 05:56:17 AM »
That's the biggest downside for me of working at a small company. Only one person can take a vacation at the time and in those type of companies there's often a strong hierarchy. Which means if you're the new person (and you can be the new person for 10 years) you're basically screwed. I'm lucky that my coworkers don't care about christmas, so I get to take the week between christmas and NYE off, but I didn't have a summer holiday. Coworkers have kids, so they want to spend that time with their kids (understandably) and I'm stuck in the office working overtime for the entire summer.
Imma, the fall is a lovely time to travel. Could you plan something for then so you have something to look forward to in the dog days of summer? I used to go to DC a lot. The best time was in early September. Lovely weather, no lines, and shoulder season rates. The kids were back in school and hadn't had time to plan their rampages field trips yet. It was heavenly.

I usually take some time off in September / October and it's a great time to make trips (which we do if we can) but where we live the weather is unpredictable that time of the year. If we want a reasonable chance of good weather, we need to travel quite far away from home and we don't always feel like spending that kind of money. I don't want to visit tourist attractions during the summer, so I don't miss out on that, but I do miss out on things like local festivals and events, BBQ's and parties at friends' places etc. I work so much overtime I barely have the time and energy to do any of those things even if they're in the evenings or weekends. And for DIY projects outside taking a few days off when there's a good chance of dry weather is convenient too.

I like being off between Christmas and NYE. It's a pretty busy time at my workplace because many of our customers needs to arrange stuff before the New Year and while they know that months before, we always see an increase in orders in December. We visit family and friends during the holidays so we can spend very little time with them if we need to travel to and from their place on the same day to go to work the next morning. And there's also the petty reason of me not liking to bike to and from work in the December darkness. I'm already looking forward to the Christmas holidays! I'm off between 22 December and 1 Jan and I only have to take 3 days off. I'm going to spend that time with my family and partner, in my own home, cooking and eating nice food and drinking hot chocolate in our pyamas next to the Christmas tree.

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #1951 on: November 10, 2017, 06:22:14 AM »
Send good thoughts please....

Good luck.

rab-bit

• Bristles
« Reply #1952 on: November 10, 2017, 07:05:57 AM »
Sometimes the epic part is NOT throwing a fit and quitting. I am very proud of the fact that I haven't decked my manager yet. That self control is entirely due to FU money (it's better for me long term right now to stay where I am while job searching).

I like this. The power of FU money is the freedom to make the choices that benefit you the most. Sometimes that means putting up with a little crap to accomplish a larger goal, and sometimes it means flipping off your boss as you walk out the door.

Best of luck on your 2nd interview!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 07:08:27 AM by rab »

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1953 on: November 10, 2017, 05:13:31 PM »
Interesting, I haven't seen trolls working in teams before.   Teambuilding, you say?

Blindsquirrel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1954 on: November 11, 2017, 05:20:57 AM »
   Here is a short one that will warm your heart. Longtime friend and former coworker works at megacorp. He works from home in IT but in the bizarro world of LIMS systems for pharmaceutical company. Supports a dozen or so sites around the world and is sharp as a tack, easily 3-4x the productivity of the average Joe. He makes very good 6 figure income, bonus, LTI in a LCOL area. He is 49, paid off house, completely FI and a single part time dad.
His boss dumps a metric ass load of work on him and she laughs about it. The laughing part was an error.
He says, "you know, I think I am going to just retire or go part time. I really am working too many hours now and this ass load of work you laugh about is really not funny.  I might be convinced to work a maximum of 20 hours a week with no travel, no stupid meetings, and no overtime. And I mean no overtime!"  She freaks out and is flying in next week to talk about it. My guess is he will tell her he is done and she can take her ass load of work to some other donkey or he will consult at $250-300 an hour when he feels like it. I asked him if he uses a sling to support his enormous balls. :) details to follow.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1955 on: November 11, 2017, 05:48:47 AM »
   Here is a short one that will warm your heart. Longtime friend and former coworker works at megacorp. He works from home in IT but in the bizarro world of LIMS systems for pharmaceutical company. Supports a dozen or so sites around the world and is sharp as a tack, easily 3-4x the productivity of the average Joe. He makes very good 6 figure income, bonus, LTI in a LCOL area. He is 49, paid off house, completely FI and a single part time dad.
His boss dumps a metric ass load of work on him and she laughs about it. The laughing part was an error.
He says, "you know, I think I am going to just retire or go part time. I really am working too many hours now and this ass load of work you laugh about is really not funny.  I might be convinced to work a maximum of 20 hours a week with no travel, no stupid meetings, and no overtime. And I mean no overtime!"  She freaks out and is flying in next week to talk about it. My guess is he will tell her he is done and she can take her ass load of work to some other donkey or he will consult at $250-300 an hour when he feels like it. I asked him if he uses a sling to support his enormous balls. :) details to follow.

Love this!!  Thanks!

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #1956 on: November 11, 2017, 06:20:33 AM »

Today in Missing The Headline:  What is LTI?

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1957 on: November 11, 2017, 10:53:59 AM »

This is going to be gooood...let us know what happens!

RecoveringCarClown

• Stubble
« Reply #1958 on: November 11, 2017, 11:11:58 AM »

Today in Missing The Headline:  What is LTI?

Long Term Incentive plan is my guess but often called LTIP.

Blindsquirrel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1959 on: November 12, 2017, 09:15:42 AM »
   Yes, LTI= Long term incentive, generally a stock grant that vests in 3-5 years. The ones he gets are around 15-20 k every year and they always vest in 3 years, so in theory whenever you walk out you are leaving 45-60k on the table. 100% sure that my friend "C" does not give a rats rear about that. He is the kind of guy who once he makes a decision it is about impossible to change his mind and he does not dither around for even a minute or two. Spoke to him last night and he is pretty much going to politely tell her he is done working fulltime at the end of the year at the very latest and would be willing to work 20 hrs a week at the absolute most for awhile.  ( I am also 100% sure if she gives him any crap or tries again to deposit the previously mentioned ass load of work in his lap, that will result in his becoming quite a bit more definitive in his discussion  and handing in his badge, and computer, etc on the spot.). He said that he is going to have the company paid for HD monitors, etc in his car when he goes to the meeting so if he just quits, he will not have to make another trip to the Megacorp site 20 minutes from his house. Ever! I told him I would pay good money to be a fly on the wall for that meeting. He definitely has an FU size stash/nice paid off house/car/truck/boat/big chunk of land for hunting/200k in college fund for his kid/low overhead lifestyle and no debts at all.  He is also the kind of guy who would actually say "FU".  C is not a jerk and is unfailingly polite in 99.99% of situations. Kind of thinking this may well be the 0.01% situation though.  Will let you know what happens! :)

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1960 on: November 12, 2017, 10:21:36 AM »
Statistics? More men than women in Tech.

Statistically speaking, men supported Trump and women didn't, so I think it's more likely that the person who shut down Trump's twitter feed for 11 minutes was female.  And Hispanic.  And queer.  And an overweight immigrant veteran small business owner with a belief in democracy and civil liberties.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 10:23:52 AM by sol »

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1961 on: November 12, 2017, 12:57:07 PM »

Statistically speaking, men supported Trump and women didn't, so I think it's more likely that the person who shut down Trump's twitter feed for 11 minutes was female.  And Hispanic.  And queer.  And an overweight immigrant veteran small business owner with a belief in democracy and civil liberties.
Haven't you heard? Tech companies only hire white and Asian non-citizen liberal males between the ages of 22 and 36. It's built into the hiring practices to oppress everyone else.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1962 on: November 13, 2017, 01:50:40 PM »
Update: I've been told I'm getting an offer from the 2nd choice company. We will see what it looks like. No word back from the flaky recruiter, so I assume that's off the table. I do like them, so assuming I like the offer and we can make the start date work out, I'll accept.

rab-bit

• Bristles
« Reply #1963 on: November 13, 2017, 04:01:38 PM »
Congrats!

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1964 on: November 13, 2017, 04:12:58 PM »
Update: I've been told I'm getting an offer from the 2nd choice company. We will see what it looks like. No word back from the flaky recruiter, so I assume that's off the table. I do like them, so assuming I like the offer and we can make the start date work out, I'll accept.
YES!!!! Congrats.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1965 on: November 14, 2017, 06:40:13 AM »

Well done, good job not letting your computer become airborne while you wait, and good luck in the new job!

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #1966 on: November 14, 2017, 08:26:29 AM »

Well... That statement has been making me laugh over and over. Though have we ruled out Clinton's personal emails and the FBI?

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1967 on: November 16, 2017, 02:22:07 PM »

Well... That statement has been making me laugh over and over. Though have we ruled out Clinton's personal emails and the FBI?

Are we sure the Potus account was specifically targetted? Is it possible that someone threw a switch deactivating all accounts that start with a "P" because of an ex-romantic partner or something, and didn't even realize it would get the one account everyone watches?

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #1968 on: November 16, 2017, 04:12:42 PM »

Are we sure the Potus account was specifically targetted? Is it possible that someone threw a switch deactivating all accounts that start with a "P" because of an ex-romantic partner or something, and didn't even realize it would get the one account everyone watches?

I'm pretty sure we're not sure, since there's only one case and we're applying population-level statistical level generalizations plus Sol-level humor. 

Personally I'm intrigued by the statistical "reasoning" but suspect the reasoning given is incorrect.  I wish I knew Bayesian analysis better and could apply it somehow before the actual identity of the person emerges.  More primitively, my first take is to apply case rates (actual numbers out of the air, better research welcome):

80% male/female ratio in tech
60% males vote Trump, 60% women Clinton
Resultant tech voters: 48% male for Trump, 32% male for Clinton, 8% female for Trump, 12% female for Clinton.
Combined result:  Of 44% for Clinton, 32 male to 12 female, giving 8 to 3 odds that the Twitter quitter is male. 

Obviously a less gender rigid analysis would be better.  Nonetheless the heavy skew toward men in tech appears to predominate, making it more likely that the Twitter quitter is male.

Thoughts?

tipster350

• Bristles
« Reply #1969 on: November 16, 2017, 04:36:08 PM »

I'm pretty sure we're not sure, since there's only one case and we're applying population-level statistical level generalizations plus Sol-level humor. 

Personally I'm intrigued by the statistical "reasoning" but suspect the reasoning given is incorrect.  I wish I knew Bayesian analysis better and could apply it somehow before the actual identity of the person emerges.  More primitively, my first take is to apply case rates (actual numbers out of the air, better research welcome):

80% male/female ratio in tech
60% males vote Trump, 60% women Clinton
Resultant tech voters: 48% male for Trump, 32% male for Clinton, 8% female for Trump, 12% female for Clinton.
Combined result:  Of 44% for Clinton, 32 male to 12 female, giving 8 to 3 odds that the Twitter quitter is male. 

Obviously a less gender rigid analysis would be better.  Nonetheless the heavy skew toward men in tech appears to predominate, making it more likely that the Twitter quitter is male.

Thoughts?

Thoughts? Please take that crap elsewhere. This thread is about Epic FU money stories related to jobs. It has been awesome. You're ruining the vibe.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1970 on: November 16, 2017, 08:50:07 PM »
Thoughts? Please take that crap elsewhere. This thread is about Epic FU money stories related to jobs. It has been awesome. You're ruining the vibe.

Yes.  Yes, yes, yes, yes, YES.

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #1971 on: November 16, 2017, 11:40:38 PM »

Yes.  Yes, yes, yes, yes, YES.
Yep back to FU Money Stories please.

I might have one coming up, I applied for an extra weeks leave for the week before Christmas and I was told that this was approved but may be subject to change due to us being a bit short staffed. If they try and cancel my leave I will say ‘sorry, I can’t cancel it, I have already made plans’  I’ll keep you posted if that happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1972 on: November 17, 2017, 12:57:10 AM »
I might have one coming up, I applied for an extra weeks leave for the week before Christmas and I was told that this was approved but may be subject to change due to us being a bit short staffed. If they try and cancel my leave I will say ‘sorry, I can’t cancel it, I have already made plans’  I’ll keep you posted if that happens.

That sounds like an odd definition of "approved". Are they a chaotic place to work generally?

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #1973 on: November 17, 2017, 01:52:34 AM »

That sounds like an odd definition of "approved". Are they a chaotic place to work generally?
Not generally but there has been a fairly recent change of management and there is some pressure to get more done with less. We will see what happens, it’s hard to push back while trying to put out a ‘keen’ vibe (to get promoted and earn more $$$) and when everyone else seems to think it’s the norm to work an extra hour or two a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1974 on: November 17, 2017, 02:04:18 AM »
Not generally but there has been a fairly recent change of management and there is some pressure to get more done with less. We will see what happens, it’s hard to push back while trying to put out a ‘keen’ vibe (to get promoted and earn more $$$) and when everyone else seems to think it’s the norm to work an extra hour or two a day.

Sounds like something is going to be tugging on your FU money whether it is this or the next "enhancement".

If everyone else thinks it, it probably is the norm for your workplace. Crap norm though.

Enigma

• Bristles
« Reply #1975 on: November 17, 2017, 03:50:03 AM »
I never wanted a job in Washington DC but I took a gov job there that I ended up hating.  Then I got complacent after 2 years.  No one stateside offered near as much as I made there.  At the end of Aug/Sep I was offered a job overseas that I used to do years ago.  One that I enjoyed doing.  If I didn't have my savings and wasn't already FI then I wouldn't have been able to move very quickly.

I ended up selling my new car with a $4k loss.  Had to pay the difference to the bank...  Also had to get rid of my apartment that had a few thousand dollars in fees to break the lease early.

Moving quickly cost me about $10-$15k but I should be able to make it up quickly with my new position where rent is paid.

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1976 on: November 17, 2017, 07:39:48 AM »
I never wanted a job in Washington DC but I took a gov job there that I ended up hating.  Then I got complacent after 2 years.  No one stateside offered near as much as I made there.  At the end of Aug/Sep I was offered a job overseas that I used to do years ago.  One that I enjoyed doing.  If I didn't have my savings and wasn't already FI then I wouldn't have been able to move very quickly.

I ended up selling my new car with a $4k loss.  Had to pay the difference to the bank...  Also had to get rid of my apartment that had a few thousand dollars in fees to break the lease early.

Moving quickly cost me about $10-$15k but I should be able to make it up quickly with my new position where rent is paid.

Great and Epic. Spending money for a better life. Can't think of a better use for $15k. Congratulations and enjoy your new life!

Greenback Reproduction Specialist

• Bristles
« Reply #1977 on: November 17, 2017, 08:37:25 AM »
Enigma's story reminds me of a similar story of my own. I don't know if I consider mine epic, but having FU money rocks!

I was working a job, that I actually really enjoyed, but along came an opportunity to take a position that paid almost double per hour what I was making. The risk was that it was an open ended contract, with a possibility of termination on short notice if the project were to complete or get cancelled. It was a big opportunity to get to FIRE faster, and having enough FU money in place I was willing to take the risk. Now its been 2 years and I'm still in the open ended contract. At the moment it looks like the project I'm working on will continue for at least a few more years, paid off pretty well. Brought my projected FIRE date from 10yrs to 5yrs... Maybe even sooner, we shall see : )

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #1978 on: November 17, 2017, 08:44:55 AM »
Enigma's story reminds me of a similar story of my own. I don't know if I consider mine epic, but having FU money rocks!

I was working a job, that I actually really enjoyed, but along came an opportunity to take a position that paid almost double per hour what I was making. The risk was that it was an open ended contract, with a possibility of termination on short notice if the project were to complete or get cancelled. It was a big opportunity to get to FIRE faster, and having enough FU money in place I was willing to take the risk. Now its been 2 years and I'm still in the open ended contract. At the moment it looks like the project I'm working on will continue for at least a few more years, paid off pretty well. Brought my projected FIRE date from 10yrs to 5yrs... Maybe even sooner, we shall see : )

That would be awesome if you finished before the contract ended :D.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1979 on: November 17, 2017, 08:48:45 AM »
Developments!
I've officially accepted the new position, pending background check (it's a bank). Plan to give notice in December.

I've got a coworker, let's call him Alex. Alex and I are the only 2 on our team with a particular subset of experience, and a lot of it too. We're both working on a project that no one else on the team is capable of doing (that subset of experience is needed). Another team used to do this project (it's an annual thing), but they didn't have capacity so my team took it over. This project is not negotiable, and is high profile. If it goes bad, the big boss will take a lot of heat.

Alex is leaving at the end of the month. I'll be giving notice a week or two after he leaves. This project will have to go back to the original team, and they don't have capacity to handle it.

Pivoting... I'm in charge of day to day admin on the software we use. The person who is my backup - is also looking for a new job.

Is it wrong that I'm enjoying the prospect of the havoc my leaving is going to cause, particularly the timing? This is better than using my FU money!

Greenback Reproduction Specialist

• Bristles
« Reply #1980 on: November 17, 2017, 08:51:56 AM »
That would be awesome if you finished before the contract ended :D.

It sure would!

FIRE cant seem to happen fast enough ; )

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1981 on: November 17, 2017, 01:14:11 PM »
Is it wrong that I'm enjoying the prospect of the havoc my leaving is going to cause, particularly the timing? This is better than using my FU money!

If they have underpaid you, under-appreciated you, or treated you badly then no, I'm going to tell you it's not wrong.

Congratulations on the new job!

Livingthedream55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1982 on: November 17, 2017, 02:08:39 PM »

If they have underpaid you, under-appreciated you, or treated you badly then no, I'm going to tell you it's not wrong.

+1  I once turned down a fabulous new job offer because I felt my leaving would be too disruptive to my (then) current job because of all of the transitions/people leaving. A year later, job I stayed with (out of loyalty) selected my department to be eliminated from the agency so I was laid off. Lesson learned!

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1983 on: November 17, 2017, 04:05:16 PM »

+1  I once turned down a fabulous new job offer because I felt my leaving would be too disruptive to my (then) current job because of all of the transitions/people leaving. A year later, job I stayed with (out of loyalty) selected my department to be eliminated from the agency so I was laid off. Lesson learned!

You shouldn't gloat over their misfortune.    That can lead to a negative attitude which will slow you down.  You won't be around to see it actually happen,   but if you were you would see that it's not happy time for anyone involved.

You should still leave of course.    Congrats on the new job!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1984 on: November 17, 2017, 06:30:28 PM »

You shouldn't gloat over their misfortune.    That can lead to a negative attitude which will slow you down.  You won't be around to see it actually happen,   but if you were you would see that it's not happy time for anyone involved.

I don't think I'm gloating, but point taken. I will miss most of my coworkers, and I really hope that management has a wake up call about this one manager who's driving all the experienced people out (I'll make #4 that I know of). She's good with very inexperienced staff, but not anyone who knows what they're doing.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1985 on: November 17, 2017, 08:58:55 PM »

Oh I think gloating is totally fine for a few days.  Then yeah, move forward - onwards and upwards!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1986 on: November 18, 2017, 12:13:13 AM »

Oh I think gloating is totally fine for a few days.  Then yeah, move forward - onwards and upwards!

I agree. Whenever you celebrate something, there will always be someone telling you you're [fill in negative emotion/trait/characteristic/behavior] and then tell you you shouldn't do it. Go ahead and be happy, celebrate, and move forward! :)

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #1987 on: November 18, 2017, 03:56:55 AM »
Developments!
I've officially accepted the new position, pending background check (it's a bank). Plan to give notice in December.

I've got a coworker, let's call him Alex. Alex and I are the only 2 on our team with a particular subset of experience, and a lot of it too. We're both working on a project that no one else on the team is capable of doing (that subset of experience is needed). Another team used to do this project (it's an annual thing), but they didn't have capacity so my team took it over. This project is not negotiable, and is high profile. If it goes bad, the big boss will take a lot of heat.

Alex is leaving at the end of the month. I'll be giving notice a week or two after he leaves. This project will have to go back to the original team, and they don't have capacity to handle it.

Pivoting... I'm in charge of day to day admin on the software we use. The person who is my backup - is also looking for a new job.

That's awesome. I don't think it's wrong at all. If anything it should show the higher ups that something is seriously wrong in your division. Something that is not you.

Enigma

• Bristles
« Reply #1988 on: November 22, 2017, 03:42:27 AM »
Developments!

It sounds like the company you are with has been the ones taking the gamble.  Either they were not paying well enough -or- they kept cutting people and tasking remaining individuals more.

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1989 on: November 22, 2017, 05:21:45 AM »
I have a sad lack-of-FU-money story. I ran into a coworker at a break area who's being denied a PTO request for the days between Xmas and NYE because she's "needed here". Her request was to fly home to Mexico to visit her elderly father and commemorate the anniversary of her mother's death. :-(

Happy ending of sorts to report - as it turns out, the co-worker had FU money, so she quit! Hopefully this will be a lesson to her managers that a little flexibility would have been better. (It was one day she was "needed"! She could have done that remotely!)

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #1990 on: November 22, 2017, 06:48:25 AM »
I have a sad lack-of-FU-money story. I ran into a coworker at a break area who's being denied a PTO request for the days between Xmas and NYE because she's "needed here". Her request was to fly home to Mexico to visit her elderly father and commemorate the anniversary of her mother's death. :-(

Happy ending of sorts to report - as it turns out, the co-worker had FU money, so she quit! Hopefully this will be a lesson to her managers that a little flexibility would have been better. (It was one day she was "needed"! She could have done that remotely!)
Nice!  From "Sad" to "EPIC" in one update!  Good on your coworker - even with FU money, it can be hard to pull the trigger on that type of move. 

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1991 on: November 22, 2017, 06:54:10 AM »

Brilliant news!

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1992 on: November 22, 2017, 10:29:54 AM »

Awesome!  I hope you had a chance to tell her bravo.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1993 on: November 23, 2017, 07:09:33 AM »
I don't think I'm gloating, but point taken. I will miss most of my coworkers, and I really hope that management has a wake up call about this one manager who's driving all the experienced people out (I'll make #4 that I know of). She's good with very inexperienced staff, but not anyone who knows what they're doing.

Can you (and Alex, and the other person you mentioned) point out this one manager to the higher-ups on your way out?  That might go some way toward helping the coworkers yo0u are leaving behind.
Congrats on the new job!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1994 on: November 23, 2017, 02:36:13 PM »

Can you (and Alex, and the other person you mentioned) point out this one manager to the higher-ups on your way out?  That might go some way toward helping the coworkers yo0u are leaving behind.
Congrats on the new job!

Alex chose not to say anything. However, I'm well known for being honest and saying things you don't necessarily like to hear. I do plan to (professionally) explain why I'm leaving. I'm expecting to get a counteroffer - they are NOT going to like losing me. But that means that I will get a nice, private interview with the #1 guy in the dept, and possibly with his boss (so #0?).

I passed background much faster than I expected, and we set a start date. I'll start 12/18, so am giving 2 weeks notice Monday. For those of you looking at a calendar, I'm taking a week between jobs.

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1995 on: November 24, 2017, 06:55:52 AM »
A FU story might be brewing with me....  My employer of over 13 years is changing their medical plan network for 2018, to a very restrictive network with only a small hand-full of in-network providers in Chicago. So restrictive that there isn't even a single MRI provider in-network in the entire city of Chicago, and a very minimal number of in-network facilities (a couple of hospitals, only one urgent care center within the whole city of Chicago.) Pathetic for a large employer of a skilled/professional workforce.  Compounding the problem is, they removed ANY out-of-network coverage too. Not even some astoundingly-high-deductible plan. Simply no out of network coverage.

I compared the network of doctors on the employee plan with the network of doctors on the most inexpensive healthcare.gov exchange plan for 2018, and the plan on the exchange had about 3x of the network facilities in Chicago.

The kicker is, it is a global company with facilities all over the country and the world, but our office in Chicago is the only one that is subject to such a restrictive health care network. Employees in other offices of the country are retaining their same nation-wide and much larger network of providers in their medical plans.  Yet our payroll premiums are the same.

I barely use the medical insurance and I am generally pretty healthy. However, I like having a medical plan that assures me that I can get care if I need it. The plan offered by my employer (and exclusively to their Chicago employees) does not reassure me that I would be able to receive quality care if I need it.

It's probably not easy to change jobs around the holidays... but a lot of companies are working through their budgets for 2018, so probably will be looking to move on in the new year.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1996 on: November 24, 2017, 07:17:12 AM »
A FU story might be brewing with me....  My employer of over 13 years is changing their medical plan network for 2018, to a very restrictive network with only a small hand-full of in-network providers in Chicago. So restrictive that there isn't even a single MRI provider in-network in the entire city of Chicago, and a very minimal number of in-network facilities (a couple of hospitals, only one urgent care center within the whole city of Chicago.) Pathetic for a large employer of a skilled/professional workforce.  Compounding the problem is, they removed ANY out-of-network coverage too. Not even some astoundingly-high-deductible plan. Simply no out of network coverage.

I compared the network of doctors on the employee plan with the network of doctors on the most inexpensive healthcare.gov exchange plan for 2018, and the plan on the exchange had about 3x of the network facilities in Chicago.

The kicker is, it is a global company with facilities all over the country and the world, but our office in Chicago is the only one that is subject to such a restrictive health care network. Employees in other offices of the country are retaining their same nation-wide and much larger network of providers in their medical plans.  Yet our payroll premiums are the same.

I barely use the medical insurance and I am generally pretty healthy. However, I like having a medical plan that assures me that I can get care if I need it. The plan offered by my employer (and exclusively to their Chicago employees) does not reassure me that I would be able to receive quality care if I need it.

It's probably not easy to change jobs around the holidays... but a lot of companies are working through their budgets for 2018, so probably will be looking to move on in the new year.

Yeah, it sounds like it's time to move on while in your position of strength. The economy is doing well enough right now that it's won't be hard to find another job, especially if you are highly skilled. When it comes down to it, everyone is a business and when employers don't offer an appropriate level of compensation, it's time to take your business elsewhere. Just my two cents, anyway.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1997 on: November 24, 2017, 09:20:20 AM »

Are there local HR people who are aware of this and have some power over it?  Could this have just been some dumb mistake by people in Charlotte NC who did not see the effect in Chicago and will fix it once it is pointed out to them?  Or it could be part of a larger penny-pinching initiative that will have other dumb repercussions and you are right to be moving on.  You dont sound overly happy with your current employer otherwise. 

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1998 on: November 24, 2017, 11:04:26 AM »

I just FIREd and ended up going with Liberty Health Share. My coverage starts in December, so I am not sure how the operational stuff with it will go. One of the things I like is that there is no network, you go to whatever provider you want and they negotiate with them. Like I said, I'm not sure how this will work in practice. You also have to agree with their terms, which some people have an issue with. They are a Christian based health sharing group.

If you go this route, then you can stay with your current employer and get your health coverage outside ofyour employer.

Look into it. If you are interested, PM me. They also provide a referral bonus of $100 for any member that refers someone.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 05:55:00 PM by Daisy »

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1999 on: November 24, 2017, 02:08:47 PM »
Great story, Finances With Purpose!

At Thanksgiving dinner, I told my visiting nieces about my "sabbatical" and they were very interested. I mentioned FU money and they both giggled. I asked if they had heard about it before and they said no, but they instantly understood what it was and what it was useful for.

One just graduated college and is not too happy with her first job and the other is a senior in college. They both like to be frugal, so I hope I can set them on a good course for their life with my advice and FU money stories.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 04:16:56 PM by Daisy »