Author Topic: Epic FU money stories  (Read 508620 times)

shelivesthedream

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Epic FU money stories
« Reply #1150 on: June 11, 2016, 01:26:19 AM »
Last night I dreamed I had an epic FU story. I dreamed I was running an art project at my old school with all the people I was at school with, which was a lot like one I am doing in real life. It was awful and they were all mean to me and eventually in a crowded room of them, I just yelled, "I QUIT!" and stormed out. They all laughed and said I'd be back but I just kept on walking and got on the bus and then for some reason took a train to Spain. That's where the director of the project (who I do actually really like) caught up with me and begged me to come back and I said "Not for a million pounds!" And he offered two million and I said OK. So I went back and did crafts with the school bullies for a week and got paid 2m. Then I woke up and the triumphant feeling when I yelled "I QUIT!" remained and I had to check in with myself that I had not in fact quit anything.

radram

• Bristles
« Reply #1151 on: June 11, 2016, 07:02:03 AM »
Last night I dreamed I had an epic FU story. I dreamed I was running an art project at my old school with all the people I was at school with, which was a lot like one I am doing in real life. It was awful and they were all mean to me and eventually in a crowded room of them, I just yelled, "I QUIT!" and stormed out. They all laughed and said I'd be back but I just kept on walking and got on the bus and then for some reason took a train to Spain. That's where the director of the project (who I do actually really like) caught up with me and begged me to come back and I said "Not for a million pounds!" And he offered two million and I said OK. So I went back and did crafts with the school bullies for a week and got paid 2m. Then I woke up and the triumphant feeling when I yelled "I QUIT!" remained and I had to check in with myself that I had not in fact quit anything.

Based on your name, maybe you are having a hard time differentiating between real life and sleep.  Are you SURE you didn't quit yesterday?

Great story just the same. 

radram

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #1152 on: June 11, 2016, 08:13:49 AM »

Usenet!  Noobs

Anyone remember FidoNet?
[/quote]

FidoNet is where we told the Usenet Noobs to go back to.
FIRE'd on January 4, 2017

Chaplin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1153 on: July 29, 2016, 11:02:54 PM »

Usenet!  Noobs

Anyone remember FidoNet?

Pshaw! Remember the Kermit protocol for dial-up? Or Gopher? Or Mosaic?

Heck, I can still read a Vernier caliper, although my slide rule skills were never great and have almost vanished (I'm not so old that I actually needed to use one, but my father taught me how). Interestingly, Vernier scales are still around.

Mostly I just wanted to bump this thread so more awesome stories would be posted. This thread almost deserves to be a sticky. I managed to avoid having an Epic FU Money Story, which is a good thing I guess, but I can't get enough of other people's stories.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 01:49:32 PM by Chaplin »

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1154 on: July 30, 2016, 05:03:08 AM »

Usenet!  Noobs

Anyone remember FidoNet?

Pshaw! Remember the Kermit protocol for dial-up? Or Gopher? Or Mosaic?

Heck, I can still read a Vernier caliper, although my slide rule skills were never great and have almost vanished (I'm not so old that I actually needed to use one, but my father taught me how). Interestingly, Vernier scales are still around.

Mostly I just wanted to bump this thread so more awesome stories would be posted. This thread almost deserves to be a sticky. I managed to avoid having an Epic FU Money Story, which is a good thing I guess, but I can't get enough of other people's stories.
[/quote]

I own two sets of Vernier callipers, one manual set that are a bit out of calibration so there for looks only, and a newer digital set (yep, with a screen that gives me a measurement to one decimal place of a millimetre, plenty of accuracy for what I need!). I'm not sure how these are old-fashioned. Or is that just me?

CowboyAndIndian

• Pencil Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #1155 on: July 30, 2016, 06:28:09 AM »

I own two sets of Vernier callipers, one manual set that are a bit out of calibration so there for looks only, and a newer digital set (yep, with a screen that gives me a measurement to one decimal place of a millimetre, plenty of accuracy for what I need!). I'm not sure how these are old-fashioned. Or is that just me?

Damn, we are all dating ourselves!

I've been on the Internet since 1988, about 5 years before the web. We knew most of the posters on Usenet.

And then AOL opened the floodgates and the unwashed hordes poured in ;-)

PS: Primm/Chaplin, I still have my slide rule and vernier calipers.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 06:32:48 AM by CowboyAndIndian »

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1156 on: July 30, 2016, 06:56:42 AM »

Based on your name, maybe you are having a hard time differentiating between real life and sleep.  Are you SURE you didn't quit yesterday?

Great story just the same. 

radram

I LOLd when you said OK to 2 mill. I would too.

The rest of the foamers, get a room (or start your own thread).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 06:59:46 AM by Rollin »
I love being outside.

Rubic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1157 on: July 30, 2016, 07:25:02 AM »
I've been on the Internet since 1988, about 5 years before the web. We knew most of the posters on Usenet.

Me: Since 1985, when I was the Systems Manager at a major university. My boss was the former head of DARPA.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1158 on: July 30, 2016, 07:52:13 AM »

Me: Since 1985, when I was the Systems Manager at a major university. My boss was the former head of DARPA.

Pretty cool epic FU story there!
I love being outside.

dignam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1159 on: July 30, 2016, 03:17:53 PM »
What a great thread.  I'm blessed to work with great co workers (I don't have a problem with any of them) in a very laid back office.  Boss is very easy to work for, lets you do your thing and offers guidance.  Pay is decent, maybe on the lower side but I'm ok with that.

So, I don't have any great FU stories, but since this thread is in a bit of rut for stories, I'll offer a firing story that I was involved in.

Background: worker in question was lady in her mid fifties, morbidly obese and no one really liked working with her.  Terribly negative attitude, and last straw was something she said to a customer I think.  I didn't regularly work with her, much less for her, but in all my dealings she just rubbed me the wrong way.

I came in one morning and my boss called me in to his office.  I have root access to all of our production servers and databases, so he wanted me to cut her access and logins at the exact moment they fired her on the phone.  There was something...incredibly satisfying about the coordination and timing involved.  Cherry on top was that she was a shitty employee.  She was apparently "shocked" we would cut her off like that. 

Anyway, let this teach you folks with terrible attitudes to have some FU money ready in case you get "blind sided" one morning ;)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1160 on: July 30, 2016, 05:52:30 PM »

This is known as Eternal September.  :D
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with a kid.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (occasionally) blog at AdventuringAlong.com.
You can also read my forum "Journal."

ender

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1161 on: July 30, 2016, 06:16:16 PM »

+1. Was going to post that, but hey someone else did!

TomTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1162 on: July 31, 2016, 07:40:54 AM »

I was there, man! It just never ended! You couldn't educate them!

BlueHouse

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1163 on: July 31, 2016, 05:44:27 PM »

WHOA!   Reb, I didn't recognize your avatar. 
Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand

happy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1164 on: August 01, 2016, 07:13:50 AM »
Looks different without the sunnies, eh?
Journalling at Happy Aussie Downshifter

CowboyAndIndian

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1165 on: August 01, 2016, 07:16:50 AM »

We used to call them "A**holes On Line" ...

ARS, did not recognize that picture.... I like the one with the shades...

CowboyAndIndian

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1166 on: August 01, 2016, 07:40:24 AM »

Pretty cool epic FU story there!

Since I derailed this thread, i will try to get it back on track  ;-). Here's my FU story.

I was working in one of the big Wall St. firms as a consultant in 2005 when my contract ended (no worries, I had been there longer than a lot of employees). One of my previous colleagues offered me a job at another big bank/securities firm, so I accepted and she ended up becoming my manager.

The first few  months were good. Was discovering that the code was written by people who should never be allowed near code. It was so bad, so I started working on it. I started making a big difference (very few people who can pick up C++ programs where the code base is un-commented and large in size) and was appreciated by all of the other folks I worked with.

My manager who was really cool in the beginning, appreciating my work had a 180 degree change in her attitude.
It almost felt like her primary job function at this time was to make my life miserable. A month or two after I started getting the treatment, I talked to DW and told her I could not take it any more. Later on, thru common friends, I found out that she was going thru a messy divorce and I guess I was the nearest male she could vent her frustration on.

At this time, we had zero mortgage, no debts, enough FU money in the bank and a my DW had a pretty stable job. So, with DW's blessing, I handed in my two weeks notice. It was like kicking a wasps nest. I got called by other managers offering me a job. The Managing Director called me in and asked me to take back the resignation. I was burnt out, that I did not take back my resignation.

The next couple of months were wonderful. Slept late, studied and did not put in any job applications. Finally got a job after the two month break.

The power of FU money is awesome.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 07:54:27 AM by CowboyAndIndian »

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1167 on: August 01, 2016, 10:41:44 AM »
My manager who was really cool in the beginning, appreciating my work had a 180 degree change in her attitude.
It almost felt like her primary job function at this time was to make my life miserable. A month or two after I started getting the treatment, I talked to DW and told her I could not take it any more. Later on, thru common friends, I found out that she was going thru a messy divorce and I guess I was the nearest male she could vent her frustration on.
. . .
The next couple of months were wonderful. Slept late, studied and did not put in any job applications. Finally got a job after the two month break.

Cowboy, I can totally relate to that scenario -- my biggest advocate became the biggest bully.  Like you said, "It almost felt like her primary job function at this time was to make my life miserable."  In her case, she felt forced to come back to work after a one-year personal leave because her husband had just been unexpectedly laid off from his job.  And this happened just days after she had formally resigned from the firm after she got into a negotiations-fight with them over hours and title.  Had to come back with her tail between her legs, and she was none too happy that I had continued to advance in the year she was gone, therefore "threatening" her position.  Fast forward a couple years, and I'm now on "summer vacation," enjoying the good life like you did.  I loved your story.

CowboyAndIndian

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1168 on: August 01, 2016, 03:02:18 PM »
. . .

Cowboy, I can totally relate to that scenario -- my biggest advocate became the biggest bully.  Like you said, "It almost felt like her primary job function at this time was to make my life miserable."  In her case, she felt forced to come back to work after a one-year personal leave because her husband had just been unexpectedly laid off from his job.  And this happened just days after she had formally resigned from the firm after she got into a negotiations-fight with them over hours and title.  Had to come back with her tail between her legs, and she was none too happy that I had continued to advance in the year she was gone, therefore "threatening" her position.  Fast forward a couple years, and I'm now on "summer vacation," enjoying the good life like you did.  I loved your story.

Thanks LeRainDrop. Loved your story too.

How wonderful that walk away from the office was! I left at 3pm, when the streets of midtown NYC only had tourists and I walked all the way to Penn Station. Few butterflies in my stomach, but a huge load off my shoulders.

jlajr

• Stubble
« Reply #1169 on: August 18, 2016, 11:22:05 PM »
Few butterflies in my stomach, but a huge load off my shoulders.
Yep, exactly.

ducky19

• Stubble
« Reply #1170 on: August 19, 2016, 11:47:05 AM »
Was forwarded this email yesterday from an engineer at our company who had finally had enough. I looked up the people he refers to and it's all legit. Pretty epic way to walk if you ask me! Names changed to protect the innocent.

"Date:        08/01/2016 06:02 AM
Subject:        Letter of Resignation (and so much more)

To whom it may concern:

First the formal part...

This letter is to tender my resignation from XYZ as of 6:00 AM Monday August 1, 2016.  Before 6:00 AM I was an engineer for XYZ.  Based on today's work, I expect my health insurance to continue through the end of August 2016. 

Now for the fun part...

Why did I quit?  What would drive an engineering tech lead for an incredibly successful machine , (sold out for the year by the beginning of July!), to quit XYZ? 

I'll explain this, but I'll do so in a way that Millennials would understand.  How does one communicate to Millennials?  Why it's simple, through youtube videos, GIFs, and internet memes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJtrLKGZZFg

As this move progresses, and more people begin to find other opportunities and say goodbye the only way they know how:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eGJOqMHsDI

(BTW my middle finger extends especially high to Rob, Nicole, and Paul.  You were horrible to work with and relied on the shoulders of engineering to do your jobs for you and point out where you were absolutely worthless.)

The group will continue to spiral downhill and lose the people that actually do the work! Soon, Krishna, Klaus, and Tom this is who you'll be leading...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj563ViG7Qg

Krishna, in the future, it would be best to not cancel your all employee meetings because it's summer, people are on vacation, and you're SO busy moving.  You don't get bumped up two salary grades and get to do things like that... if you continue with a leadership style like that, you may have to take that hope of creating a crown jewel by taking one of your motivational emails and... well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O42K4EwVssQ

And Klaus, you're welcome for giving you the ABC which is saving sales.  Since you are only capable of listening to those that are yelling at you the loudest at any given time, here goes: YOU ONLY GOT THAT JOB BECAUSE YOU SPEAK GERMAN.  The reality is you're a horrible product manager.  You decided not to fund the ABC even though customers are buying them like crazy.  You also decided to send Rob to represent the ABC at the conference in Vegas rather than me to please your BFF Heiko.  Rob, a guy who didn't know how to look up a drawing until recently, over a tech lead who delivered you a machine on time, on cost, and on quality targets.

And Tom, so, yeah, well, you know, you're a guy from Cali-Iowa, who, you know, yeah, well

Only in a company like XYZ could a VP of a group losing millions of dollars a quarter still be allowed to continue on with his idea to move a huge group of employees, and only that company would think the plan would work and be successful.  Although I'm sure if you pull the critical OPACC levers and execute on your winning playbook everyone will be non-monetarily compensated for their hard work.

Finally to my colleagues (those of you below a salary grade XX), you can find a job that pays you as much as XYZ, who's benefits are just as good, and who's business cycle won't be like riding a roller-coaster.  I would gladly review anyone's resume and give you numerous websites for job hunting.  I can be reached at the email listed in the CC of this email.  I hope this email will give you something to laugh about and motivate you to look for other opportunities on an otherwise dismal day at the office.

For those frothing at the mouth and grinding your teeth, remember, I have brain cancer, and I'll probably be dead way before you.  (I thank whatever gods may be that I'll die in Wisconsin and not there.)

I'll think back at my time at XYZ as I play hockey with my kids on my backyard rink during the winter, sit on the beaches of Lake Michigan on a reasonably hot summer day, enjoy the great bands at Summerfest, and visit with my family (several times a year) that are only a car ride away.

I haven't felt this good since the first time I quit XYZ and was able to get out of town and back to Wisconsin.  (On a side note, the reason I'm giving such short notice is that the last time I quit, I was walked out and not paid for that time.  For those that find something in the future, keep this in mind.  You are nothing to XYZ, just a number.  They won't extend any courtesies to you.  They can fire you at any moment, so you have the right to walk out at any moment.)

"There is no point in looking back. Fuck no, not today, thank you kindly. My heart is filled with joy.  I felt like a monster reincarnation of Horatio Alger:  A man on the move, and just sick enough to be totally confident." -Hunter S. Thompson

Pure Gonzo Engineering

And for those worried about that bridge behind me... well, there's an internet meme for that too...

(In this day and age, I conclude this email with the disclaimer that there is NO intention to communicate violence or destruction of property.  This is true for any statements, videos, meme, or gifs in this email.  The intent is to speak in metaphors for the sake of humor.  No actual violence or destruction of property is implied or intended.)

aetherie

• Bristles
« Reply #1171 on: August 19, 2016, 11:52:12 AM »
That... was... epic.

Does he actually have brain cancer? :(

ducky19

• Stubble
« Reply #1172 on: August 19, 2016, 11:55:12 AM »
That I don't know, but since the rest of the letter seemed legit I would guess that he does. I realize this isn't your typical FU money story, although I like to think that he had a big enough 'stache that he can live out the rest of his days in comfort.

G-dog

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1173 on: August 19, 2016, 11:59:36 AM »
Oh Ducky19, we have to get this guy some great booze to enjoy!  EPIC! Totally motherfucking epic!

I'll chip in on some booze - I am serious, PM me

CowboyAndIndian

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1174 on: August 19, 2016, 12:12:19 PM »
Oh Ducky19, we have to get this guy some great booze to enjoy!  EPIC! Totally motherfucking epic!

I'll chip in on some booze - I am serious, PM me

+100

Absoutely. I will chip in too!

Hvillian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1175 on: August 19, 2016, 12:13:28 PM »
That... was... epic.

Does he actually have brain cancer? :(
Exactly.  Epic, then, um . . . brain cancer.  Ah shit.

ducky19

• Stubble
« Reply #1176 on: August 19, 2016, 12:17:22 PM »
I don't know the guy personally (huge company), otherwise I'd have already bought him a bottle. This was just forwarded to me by a friend.

G-dog

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1177 on: August 19, 2016, 12:18:16 PM »
Contact the friend that the Internet hordes are feeling generous!

dividendman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1178 on: August 19, 2016, 12:19:39 PM »
Wow, amazing.

ducky19

• Stubble
« Reply #1179 on: August 19, 2016, 12:34:02 PM »
Contact the friend that the Internet hordes are feeling generous!

It was already a third generation forward by the time he got it - it's kind of satisfying though that such an epic email is spreading like wildfire through a company of this size. I hope it inspires others to stop and consider their options. I know it has for me!

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
« Reply #1180 on: August 19, 2016, 03:17:14 PM »
Sweet Jesus that was epick. 99 points out of 100. (-1 because intergenerational shit-talk is beneath such a badass)
I am not a cog. I am an organizational lubricant.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1181 on: August 19, 2016, 03:55:35 PM »
That was pretty good, thanks for sharing!
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with a kid.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.

okits

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1182 on: August 19, 2016, 11:43:50 PM »
As someone too strategic diplomatic meek ruled by my Inner Bag Lady to burn a bridge, that was cathartic.  Thanks for posting.
Camp Mustache Canada... it's a thing now! Queen MonkeyJenga will be honoured with a meatball party there!

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #1183 on: August 20, 2016, 12:09:37 PM »
As someone too strategic diplomatic meek ruled by my Inner Bag Lady to burn a bridge, that was cathartic.  Thanks for posting.

Nice.
Give me one fine day of plain sailing weather and I can mess up anything.

MustacheMathTM

Libertea

• Bristles
« Reply #1184 on: August 20, 2016, 06:17:15 PM »
Didn't post here yet because it's taken me this long to get through all of the rest of your posts (skipping all the weird computer geek speak posts that I don't understand anyway, lol).  Here's my FU story.

Not long after getting out of college, I was working at a job that I liked with people I liked, except for the boss.  (Wow, how many stories here start out that way?)  We'll call him Bob.  Bob was a big bully.  Unfortunately for most of my coworkers, they weren't American citizens, and so basically if Bob fired them, they'd lose their work visas, and back to their home countries they'd have to go.  I, on the other hand, was and am an American citizen.  So on the day when I'd finally had enough of Bob and his bullying ways/unreasonable demands, I went to his office, told him that slavery was outlawed in this country in 1865, and I quit.  Bob was kind of sick of me by that point anyway, so I don't think he really cared all that much, except that I had also gotten one of my (non-American) coworkers riled up about how Bob was treating him.  Bob basically told my friend to go back home, because he (Bob) didn't care if he (my friend) got deported. 

I had no new job lined up at that point, but I didn't really care for myself.  I was young at the time (mid 20s), and I knew I could go stay with my family for a few months until I got a new job.  But there was no way I was going to let my friend get deported.  Nor was letting him go crawling back to Bob an acceptable outcome to me, either.  Bob was making overtures to my friend, telling my friend that if he basically agreed to toe the line, Bob would take him back and my friend wouldn't have to be deported back to his home country.  My friend, unsurprisingly, was scared and ready to cave.

Given this situation, it lit a fire (pun intended) under my butt.  I grabbed my friend, forbade him to go back to work for Bob, and started dragging him to talk to other bosses at the same company.  The two of us got new jobs with another group by the end of the day, and my friend did not have to go crawling back to Bob or go back to his home country because of losing his visa.  The new work group wound up being awesome for both my friend and me; we both liked our new boss way better than Bob.  Everyone in the whole place was talking about how all of Bob's employees were jumping ship.  (After my friend and I left, one other employee of his also changed groups.)

I still ran into Bob occasionally afterward, and he and I would always be syrupy sweet to each other.  But I heard through the grapevine that Bob was pretty pissed about me getting my friend out of his (Bob's) clutches.  Like I said, I don't think Bob cared about losing me from his group, but he was not happy about losing my friend.  I, on the other hand, feel like saving my friend from Bob is one of the top five things I've done in my lifetime that really helped someone/made a difference in their life.  And while I won't deny being glad that it pissed Bob off, I'm more proud of the fact that I stopped him (Bob) from abusing my friend and ruining his (my friend's) life.

FWIW, my friend now has a green card and is married with a child, working for a different company and in no danger of being deported by a bad boss. :-)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1185 on: August 20, 2016, 06:48:26 PM »
Way to go Libertea!  That's a good story.

Paul der Krake

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1186 on: August 20, 2016, 07:07:58 PM »
There is a special place in hell for bosses who leverage work papers for submission.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1187 on: August 20, 2016, 07:37:27 PM »
Way to go, Libertea!  It really is awesome that you stepped up for your friend in that situation.  Bob can go to hell.

jlajr

• Stubble
« Reply #1188 on: August 20, 2016, 10:45:14 PM »
I don't know if I mentioned this on this thread before, but I find it incredible that some people - managers and colleagues - behave or speak at work in a way that they would, presumably, not behave or speak outside of work.

For better or worse, I guess I have difficulty adapting my behavior or speech to circumstances. If someone I meet (outside work) is an ass or we simply don't get along, I likely wouldn't become friends with that person. Similarly, why should I work for someone who is an ass or with whom I don't get along?

Libertea

• Bristles
« Reply #1189 on: August 21, 2016, 12:12:56 AM »
There is a special place in hell for bosses who leverage work papers for submission.
Agree.  I wasn't really all that angry for myself, because I had the option to walk away from the job at any time with no repercussions besides financial repercussions since I'm a citizen.  I was fed up enough to be fine with the idea of quitting and just drifting for a bit.  But I did get angry about the injustice of how being fired for challenging Bob would affect my non-citizen friend.  So in a way, he (my friend) helped me too, because I would not have been nearly as motivated to look for a new position right away if I hadn't been worried for what would happen to my friend.  Plus, my friend is one of those totally laid back nice guys that everyone likes.  He worked hard and wasn't a troublemaker like me.  He definitely didn't deserve to have Bob treat him like that.

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1190 on: August 21, 2016, 06:55:13 AM »
That really puts a dark spin on all the companies trying to hire those with work-visas.  Hadn't thought about how much they could hold over their employees' heads.  Ugh. 

AlanStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1191 on: August 22, 2016, 12:17:55 PM »
That really puts a dark spin on all the companies trying to hire those with work-visas.  Hadn't thought about how much they could hold over their employees' heads.  Ugh.

Go have a look at the search results for "bill gates h1b visa".  Would assume things are common similar at other companies.

Not sure I have a good solution but is a messy system.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 12:41:35 PM by AlanStache »
Be the person Mr. Rogers knows you can be.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1192 on: August 22, 2016, 12:27:30 PM »
Go have a look at the search results for "bill gates h1b visa".  Would assume things are common at other companies.

Not sure I have a good solution but is a messy system.
It's a brilliant system (*). You get to hire cheap workers who can't complain or move to another job.
You get to use the lower wages as a lever on your other workers and get to complain that you can't find qualified staff.
For really qualified foreign workers you have to open an office in another country, but that's ok because you can use that to avoid tax.

* - assuming you are a major multinational corporation. If you are a small company, a startup, a foreign STEM graduate, or an employee it sucks. But hey if you want change buy your own congressman.

patchyfacialhair

• Bristles
    • Journal
« Reply #1193 on: August 23, 2016, 01:35:13 PM »
A professor once brought up the topic of unemployment (it might have been an economics class), and how it can be bad, etc. A student  mentioned how (at the time) 10% unemployment means the world is crashing down. Some other dude/dudette piped up and said "so if 10% unemployment is horrible, that means that out of 30 of us in this class, 27 of us will have jobs. Why are we worried again?"

Ever since then I've had a really passive attitude toward work. I realize that I really don't have to beat too many people to get a job. Sure, my pay might be different for different work, but at the end of the day, I don't see me ever going through an extended period of unemployment. I realize I have normal social skills, look normal, and can do basic math, so I probably don't have much to worry about.

That being said: I've never had to use FU money. We were prepared to do so when my wife was unsure if she'd get a promotion, but she ended up getting the job. The stories on this thread are inspiring.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1194 on: August 23, 2016, 08:33:58 PM »
A professor once brought up the topic of unemployment (it might have been an economics class), and how it can be bad, etc.... that means that out of 30 of us in this class, 27 of us will have jobs. Why are we worried again?"
If you are in a class with a professor, the 10% unemployment rate probably doesn't apply to you anyway.
It's like being told the life expectancy in some famine struck African country

ender

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1195 on: August 23, 2016, 09:11:40 PM »
A professor once brought up the topic of unemployment (it might have been an economics class), and how it can be bad, etc.... that means that out of 30 of us in this class, 27 of us will have jobs. Why are we worried again?"
If you are in a class with a professor, the 10% unemployment rate probably doesn't apply to you anyway.

I suspect that graduates with a 4-year degree would be hit disproportionately  hard if unemployment was 10%.

Bikeguy

• Stubble
« Reply #1196 on: August 23, 2016, 09:25:40 PM »

I suspect that graduates with a 4-year degree would be hit disproportionately  hard if unemployment was 10%.
In Michigan,  those with high school degrees were hit the hardest.  College degrees were fine.   Grad degrees even better. College degree unemployment rate was lower than overall rate.
If you're FI, why are you still selling days of your life?  You only have so many, and if you have enough money, you're trading them for something you don't need.

JCfire

• Stubble
  • Working on FI so that I can Earn to Give
    • Global Impact Lab
« Reply #1197 on: August 24, 2016, 07:01:29 AM »

We don't have explicit data on that, because the highest educational category on the unemployment survey is "Bachelors Degree and Higher".  But when unemployment was 10% back in 2009, unemployment in that category was only 5%.  Way more than half the total people in that category have exactly a bachelor's degree -- masters' and PHDs are a small minority of the group.  So I can safely infer that unemployment among people with a bachelors' degree is generally lower than general population unemployment.
My blog about making a difference in the world:
www.globalimpactlab.com

ender

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1198 on: August 24, 2016, 07:26:11 AM »
We don't have explicit data on that, because the highest educational category on the unemployment survey is "Bachelors Degree and Higher".  But when unemployment was 10% back in 2009, unemployment in that category was only 5%.  Way more than half the total people in that category have exactly a bachelor's degree -- masters' and PHDs are a small minority of the group.  So I can safely infer that unemployment among people with a bachelors' degree is generally lower than general population unemployment.

However, the demographic in question is "about to graduate bachelors" students -- not overall bachelors holders.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1199 on: August 24, 2016, 07:51:16 AM »

However, the demographic in question is "about to graduate bachelors" students -- not overall bachelors holders.

I could be wrong here, but don't people who have never held a job (i.e. some about to graduate bachelors students) not count towards the unemployment rate?