Author Topic: Epic FU money stories  (Read 2794827 times)

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
Re: Epic FU money stories
« Reply #2150 on: January 29, 2018, 02:01:30 PM »
I'm hoping to be able to add to this thread next week.  Notice goes in on Monday all thanks to FU money!!!

Are you my coworker? She just gave notice!

Hoping for unlikely coincidence.

And sorry to disappoint. Based on a bit of prior post stalking, not the same company - wrong fiscal year end. But that would have been cool.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2151 on: February 05, 2018, 06:39:30 PM »
Anticipatory FU story coming in:

My wife and I moved recently and last year she wasn't able to have Christmas with her family. This year, they're flying out and we'll spend some time with them; the first Christmas she'd have spent with them in a few years, and their first time visiting us.

She asked off for the 26th of December and was denied PTO - back over three months ago. So she's going to call out sick. If they fire her, so be it. It's ridiculous that with so much notice, in her line of work, she "can't" take that time off when family is in town. We've got the cash to deal with her getting fired if that's what happens. Feelsgoodman

Most excellent. It's a great feeling to look your boss in the eye and dare him to fire you that way. FU money is awesome. My guess is they will shrivel in fear and just let it pass. It would be dumb of them to make a big deal out of it.

So what happened with this?

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2152 on: February 05, 2018, 06:40:44 PM »
   Here is a short one that will warm your heart. Longtime friend and former coworker works at megacorp. He works from home in IT but in the bizarro world of LIMS systems for pharmaceutical company. Supports a dozen or so sites around the world and is sharp as a tack, easily 3-4x the productivity of the average Joe. He makes very good 6 figure income, bonus, LTI in a LCOL area. He is 49, paid off house, completely FI and a single part time dad.
His boss dumps a metric ass load of work on him and she laughs about it. The laughing part was an error.
He says, "you know, I think I am going to just retire or go part time. I really am working too many hours now and this ass load of work you laugh about is really not funny.  I might be convinced to work a maximum of 20 hours a week with no travel, no stupid meetings, and no overtime. And I mean no overtime!"  She freaks out and is flying in next week to talk about it. My guess is he will tell her he is done and she can take her ass load of work to some other donkey or he will consult at $250-300 an hour when he feels like it. I asked him if he uses a sling to support his enormous balls. :) details to follow.

This is going to be gooood...let us know what happens!

homestead neohio

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal - Seeds Sprout
« Reply #2153 on: February 06, 2018, 07:07:36 AM »
Paging @GnomeErcy and @Blindsquirrel  with bat signal to get @Daisy some answers.

I'm especially curious about the LIMS admin story.  I've known a few LIMS admins and they have such specialized knowledge and have almost always customized the crap out of the off the shelf systems to meet a company's needs/wants.  Pissing this person off is a bad idea.  Even if they don't break things prior to leaving, finding someone who can understand what they've built and keep it going can take a long time.  When this stuff is used to make release decisions for regulated products, taking a long time can be very bad, depending on inspection frequency.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2154 on: February 06, 2018, 09:56:45 AM »
Thanks for tagging them. I didn't think to do that.

Blindsquirrel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2155 on: February 11, 2018, 11:44:30 AM »
     Well, the jury is still out, the place he works at started offering packages for folks to leave at about the same time this happened, so my friend has stuck it out, he hopes to be able to get a package and walk out the door with some extra cash and draw unemployment for the first few months of his "retirement". To further that game he has upped his insolence a bit and has taken the approach of "Welp, if they give me a package, great! If they don't, it does not matter because they are going to get 40 hours of work a week and that is about it. Boss can dump whatever the heck she wants to on my list of S%$T to do, doesn't mean it is going to get done. People in hell want ice water."  His response to the giant mess of work was to go on vacation to Key West for a couple of weeks. Pretty much the absolute definition of F-U in my book. He is a very genial fellow but once he decides I am done with this crap, I think he may just say F-U (literally!) walk.

That said, he read the copy of "Your Money or Your Life" I gave him and he is probably going to bail out as a full time worker this year. Whether he does that with a months notice and helps them out as a very highly paid consultant working on his lap top from Key West, takes a package (I think there is no way in hell they offer him one because he really is worth a couple of average high level people or he was when I worked with him), or drops his badge and company lap top off at the the security desk some random day has yet to be determined.  My guess is he agrees to work as a consultant 2 days a week remotely for awhile but do not know.  He has F-U money and has held off on actually saying, F-U.  However, lots of coworkers are shaking in their boots about the reductions in force. Having F-U money brings peace and serenity where ever it goes!

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2156 on: February 12, 2018, 06:58:20 PM »

GnomeErcy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2157 on: February 13, 2018, 09:36:11 AM »

My wife and I moved recently and last year she wasn't able to have Christmas with her family. This year, they're flying out and we'll spend some time with them; the first Christmas she'd have spent with them in a few years, and their first time visiting us.

She asked off for the 26th of December and was denied PTO - back over three months ago. So she's going to call out sick. If they fire her, so be it. It's ridiculous that with so much notice, in her line of work, she "can't" take that time off when family is in town. We've got the cash to deal with her getting fired if that's what happens. Feelsgoodman

Most excellent. It's a great feeling to look your boss in the eye and dare him to fire you that way. FU money is awesome. My guess is they will shrivel in fear and just let it pass. It would be dumb of them to make a big deal out of it.

Sorry, it's been a while since I have checked this. She ended up going in late and leaving early. Things at work turned around quite a bit after I'd posted so we had a bit of a change of heart haha

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2158 on: February 15, 2018, 09:59:26 PM »
Catching up on this thread! Love all the stories, keep them coming!

Special shout-out to the ladies who used the FU money power before/during/after maternity leave. It's one of the hardest times to do so due to all the changes happening inside and outside your body and in family, to add work changes to it is pretty awesome!!

barbaz

• Stubble
« Reply #2159 on: February 16, 2018, 12:27:27 AM »
It’ll be a while until I have my own stories, but recently my grandparents were offered close to 700k€ for their garden plot. There’s no house on that land, only a 60sqm (650 sq feet) bungalow.

They declined. There’s nothing they would want to buy with that money, except a new garden which would inevitably be smaller and further away from everything else.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2160 on: February 16, 2018, 12:35:41 AM »
It’ll be a while until I have my own stories, but recently my grandparents were offered close to 700k€ for their garden plot. There’s no house on that land, only a 60sqm (650 sq feet) bungalow.

They declined. There’s nothing they would want to buy with that money, except a new garden which would inevitably be smaller and further away from everything else.
They sound smart and badass!

Now, I must ask: Why do you not consider a bungalow a house? Isn't it just a type of house, albeit on the smaller side?

barbaz

• Stubble
« Reply #2161 on: February 16, 2018, 06:18:54 AM »

Now, I must ask: Why do you not consider a bungalow a house? Isn't it just a type of house, albeit on the smaller side?
Ok, technically it is a house. I just wanted to point out that there is no luxury McMansion on this land that would justify the price. It's just 2500sqm (27k sq feet) of conifers, lawns, and fruit trees.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2162 on: February 16, 2018, 07:01:54 AM »

Ok, technically it is a house. I just wanted to point out that there is no luxury McMansion on this land that would justify the price. It's just 2500sqm (27k sq feet) of conifers, lawns, and fruit trees.
Hmmm, 27k sq. feet is a McMansion, luxurious though you say it is not. Is it so large that you grow conifers, lawns and fruit trees inside? I'm kidding (sort of), but are you saying it is a small house on a large wooded lot?

barbaz

• Stubble
« Reply #2163 on: February 16, 2018, 07:09:21 AM »
Hmmm, 27k sq. feet is a McMansion, luxurious though you say it is not. Is it so large that you grow conifers, lawns and fruit trees inside? I'm kidding (sort of), but are you saying it is a small house on a large wooded lot?
Yes, 27k is the size of the lot, not the house.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2164 on: February 16, 2018, 07:25:16 AM »
Yes, 27k is the size of the lot, not the house.
Man, my brain is slow.  I blame the insomnia. So the bungalow-sized house is 650 s.f. and it's on 2700 s.f. of verdant land? In my part of the world, that price would be crazy low. Just a point of clarification to understand what youre describing. There is no denying from whence badassity flows in your family. What an awesome legacy!

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2165 on: February 16, 2018, 03:23:37 PM »

Sorry, it's been a while since I have checked this. She ended up going in late and leaving early. Things at work turned around quite a bit after I'd posted so we had a bit of a change of heart haha

I'm sorry to say that I am disappointed.

I was using your story as an example to others about having FU money. How could they make your wife work that day?!? Others were inspired with your story.

Please come up with a new FU story for me to spread around.

cosine88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2166 on: February 17, 2018, 02:25:05 PM »
On a Thursday afternoon my bosses were off-site, and I was pretty bitter about the low pay and the long commute. I signed a new job offer, then I gave them email-notice that my last day was Friday/tomorrow. While they were out of the office I made my rounds and said goodbye to all the decent coworkers. A bunch of people in my department set up a going away party for me before the bosses could stop it. Despite being bitter they sort of had to show up anyway and be nice, at least publicly.

I had three weeks between the two jobs, and I had already wanted to spend a week rock climbing in Mexico with friends who were going. So the next Monday I began a 3-week trip instead of a 1-week trip. Felt so good, and while I'm not FIRE yet, it made me really happy to show up at a place that gave me a better offer; and trading my old 60-minute commute for a 5-minute bike ride really has made a yuuge improvement in my life.

The previous position made me feel trapped, and the low pay ironically made me afraid of losing my job over fear of being too demanding. Now that I make more, I oddly feel more liberated to ask for more again.

Getting the new offer wasn't FU money, but it was such a liberating feeling leaving a toxic job for more money, nicer people and a shorter commute. It's worth all of the effort it takes to hunt for a new one, and now I have time to pursue real estate to actively work towards FIRE.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #2167 on: February 18, 2018, 02:33:06 PM »
This is by far my FAVORITE thread and I really want to contribute.  So I have two stories, they aren’t mine, but my dad’s.  He is the reason I always made sure we had a little pile stashed away just in case.

A little background, my dad retired from the Air Force after about 20 years when he was in his early 40s.  He suddenly and tragically passed away at the age of 54 and 11 months due to a genetic heart condition that was never caught.  But he did get in about 15 vital and fantastic years of retirement instead of dying at a desk.  He has always been my hero for showing me the power of having a plan and that you don’t need to do what everyone else was doing.  These stories are after he retired so he had plenty of walking away money.

My dad always liked people and enjoyed helping them, so after retiring he became a life insurance salesman.   I remember as a kid seeing my dad going off to study for his test.  That had a real impact on me, seeing someone I respected actually take the time to learn something new and work for a goal.  Anyway, after being on the job for a few years he was contacted by an older couple that wanted to change over their current insurance company to his.

He met with them and looked over all the policies and such.  It turned out that if they changed to his company they would lose out on a really good, well priced policy they currently had.  So, he told them how to restructure and supplement what they currently had to meet their new needs so they wouldn’t need a whole new policy nor need to change companies.  Sure he didn’t make a sale, but he was able help out this nice couple and he felt pretty good about it.

A few days later his boss figured out what happened and called him into the office.  He told my dad “your job here is to sell insurance, not help people.” And my dad replied “And that’s why I don’t work here anymore,” and he walked out.    That was the last day my dad ever sold insurance.  As a kid you can imagine the impact this had on me and how I thought about my dad.

The second story is more about attitude and not needed to put up with garbage 😊.
 After a few years of having no employment a friend of my dad’s was looking for someone that could teach political science at the local commuter college.   They were getting desperate.  The pay wasn’t very good and they couldn’t find anyone.  So, since my dad was a political science/geography masters he decided teaching college might be fun and took the job.  Things went well for the first semester, though my dad HATED wearing a tie and nice (read uncomfortable) shoes, but he was always good about dressing the part.  In the second semester one of the higher up muckity mucks asked my dad to park over in the field so that the students coming in late could find a place to park.  This did not go over well. My dad was not going to park his jaguar in the mud so some late comers could have better parking.  Out of respect for the students my dad did continue teaching until the end of the semester (he never did tell us where he parked, but I can tell you it wasn’t in the mud) and then quit.  After that he declared he would not wear another tie or pair of uncomfortable shoes except for weddings and funerals. 

And he didn’t.  The last time he wore a tie was for my wedding.  He was happy about it because it matched my mom’s outfit perfectly and he was always good about dressing the part😊.  He died less than a year later.   

Palindrome

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2168 on: February 18, 2018, 02:56:41 PM »
Your dad sounded like a super bad ass! I love that he put people over profits, with the insurance sales job. He sounds like an amazing man- you must miss him terribly. 54 is such a young age. I'm glad he got to see you get married, before he passed away.

This is by far my FAVORITE thread and I really want to contribute.  So I have two stories, they aren’t mine, but my dad’s.  He is the reason I always made sure we had a little pile stashed away just in case.

A little background, my dad retired from the Air Force after about 20 years when he was in his early 40s.  He suddenly and tragically passed away at the age of 54 and 11 months due to a genetic heart condition that was never caught.  But he did get in about 15 vital and fantastic years of retirement instead of dying at a desk.  He has always been my hero for showing me the power of having a plan and that you don’t need to do what everyone else was doing.  These stories are after he retired so he had plenty of walking away money.

My dad always liked people and enjoyed helping them, so after retiring he became a life insurance salesman.   I remember as a kid seeing my dad going off to study for his test.  That had a real impact on me, seeing someone I respected actually take the time to learn something new and work for a goal.  Anyway, after being on the job for a few years he was contacted by an older couple that wanted to change over their current insurance company to his.

He met with them and looked over all the policies and such.  It turned out that if they changed to his company they would lose out on a really good, well priced policy they currently had.  So, he told them how to restructure and supplement what they currently had to meet their new needs so they wouldn’t need a whole new policy nor need to change companies.  Sure he didn’t make a sale, but he was able help out this nice couple and he felt pretty good about it.

A few days later his boss figured out what happened and called him into the office.  He told my dad “your job here is to sell insurance, not help people.” And my dad replied “And that’s why I don’t work here anymore,” and he walked out.    That was the last day my dad ever sold insurance.  As a kid you can imagine the impact this had on me and how I thought about my dad.

The second story is more about attitude and not needed to put up with garbage 😊.
 After a few years of having no employment a friend of my dad’s was looking for someone that could teach political science at the local commuter college.   They were getting desperate.  The pay wasn’t very good and they couldn’t find anyone.  So, since my dad was a political science/geography masters he decided teaching college might be fun and took the job.  Things went well for the first semester, though my dad HATED wearing a tie and nice (read uncomfortable) shoes, but he was always good about dressing the part.  In the second semester one of the higher up muckity mucks asked my dad to park over in the field so that the students coming in late could find a place to park.  This did not go over well. My dad was not going to park his jaguar in the mud so some late comers could have better parking.  Out of respect for the students my dad did continue teaching until the end of the semester (he never did tell us where he parked, but I can tell you it wasn’t in the mud) and then quit.  After that he declared he would not wear another tie or pair of uncomfortable shoes except for weddings and funerals. 

And he didn’t.  The last time he wore a tie was for my wedding.  He was happy about it because it matched my mom’s outfit perfectly and he was always good about dressing the part😊.  He died less than a year later.

Smokystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2169 on: February 18, 2018, 05:18:03 PM »
....And my dad replied “And that’s why I don’t work here anymore,” and he walked out...   

Boom. I would never be able to think this quickly in a situation like this. Epic.

cosine88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2170 on: February 18, 2018, 08:23:29 PM »
Loren, your dad sounds like he was a great person.

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #2171 on: February 18, 2018, 09:28:18 PM »
I'm in traveling healthcare, and because of my stash I am able to take long breaks between assignments without too much worry. Today was my last day and I got questioned about 100 times from my coworkers about what I was doing next. A few were a little wide eyed when I smiled ear to ear and said "I'm unemployed!!"

Every contract starts out promising and I think "This is a nice place! Maybe I can stay here" but then after about 3 months I am just pacing in my cage waiting to run away as soon as the door opens. And now I'm free!!!!!!!  It's not really an epic FU story, but it allows me to keep building my stash and not be afraid of the insecurity of the job schedule I have. Honestly since I graduated with my degree I have not been able to keep a full time job for more than 9 months. Not because I'm a bad employee! I still have standing offers for pretty much any job I have ever left (the fact that ALL of them are still unfilled or have high turnover should tell you something). I am just counting down the years to FIRE. But these long breaks let me breathe a little bit. And seek needed medical and dental care lol. A vacation to go to the doctor!

The plan this time is just to get a part time job over the holidays, now that my health insurance is coming through COBRA for a few months. My expenses are so low that even with a part time job I should be able to increase the 'stache.

We're clones, except my husband has great insurance so I don't have to deal with COBRA. I only worked 7 months last year. *high five*

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #2172 on: February 19, 2018, 04:43:26 PM »
....And my dad replied “And that’s why I don’t work here anymore,” and he walked out...   

Boom. I would never be able to think this quickly in a situation like this. Epic.

I think 20 years in the Air Force teaches you some skills.  This might be one of them :).

You guys are so kind :):)

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2173 on: February 25, 2018, 07:11:46 AM »
This story may not be so epic, but my FU money gave me some great leverage this week.

Backstory: A few months ago at work I discovered a significant error on a large number of documents, none of which were owned by me or my department. I made the rounds of the "owning" managers, who all looked at the issue and basically said, "Yep, that's a problem". Dissatisfied with this response, I escalated to site management and said SOMEONE NEEDS TO OWN CORRECTING THIS ISSUE. SOMEONE WHO IS NOT ME. It got temporarily assigned to another group, I told them everything I knew about it, and washed my hands of the whole mess.

You know what happened next. I got an email this week from my boss stating that they want me to lead up the correction efforts and a meeting would be set up to discuss it. My boss and I met for another reason a couple days later (before the aforementioned meeting was held), and I said, "Every manager I spoke to about this was unwilling to give any resources to actually fix the issue, and those people are needed. I can't do this on my own, and if I start a project without dedicated resources it's just setting me up to fail. I won't do it."

He clarified that they only need me to do the resource estimates on my own (which I can do), and confirmed that the project won't actually start without those resources being committed. So, I didn't have to dig my heels in like I thought, but my FU money gave me the option if I needed it.

Granted, my boss is a good person, and it's not likely he would have done something that cavalier, but if SHTF, FU money is sooooo awesome.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2174 on: February 25, 2018, 07:55:19 AM »
 This isn't my story and I'm not even sure there is a lot of FU money, But enough!
 My soon to be son-in-law works in the landscaping industry. I'll call him Bill.
From what I have seen go on in the business, there is a lot of employee
movement, people leave start their own business often taking other
employees and customers with them. Constant change seem to be the rule.
  So, Bill's best friend also worked in the company,
his friend quit to go to another company.
 Bill was called in by his boss, I don't know the exact conversation,
but the company was worried he would pass some type of
customer info to his best friend.
 Bill, said if you don't trust me, I can't work here.
 The company offered Bill a reasonable severance package, that
he took on his next job interview. He had the new companies lawyer
look it over, the lawyer said don't sign it. It not only said he wouldn't sue,
it made it difficult for other companies to hire him.
 He had a new job in two days.
  The new company did hire him and will pay him for the next 3 weeks,
 even though he will not start working until after three weeks.
 He had the new job on the second day after being fired.
  I suspect he has a lawsuit, but because of the field he's in,
he's probably better off in the future if he just forgets about it.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2175 on: February 25, 2018, 08:48:54 AM »
I think this is my favorite thread on this whole forum. Thanks for the new posts. Keep 'em coming, folks!

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #2176 on: February 25, 2018, 10:18:09 AM »
Now that I've finally read through this giant tome of a thread, I can post a colleague's quitting story. There was no gap in the middle so no FU money involved, but I love the sheer ballsyness of it.

I have a good job with only two drawbacks. The first issue is is the horrific expectations for working hours, which is unfortunately par for the course for the industry. The other is the pay; London is an expensive city but salaries are startlingly low compared to the cost of living. The Brexit vote did not help because Britain imports everything that it has, and so the price of basically everything jumped and then has stayed high since. Management told us "help is on the way", but  nothing happened to the pay scale at our annual reviews two months after Brexit. But then nothing happened to the pay scale 14 months after either. I'm leaving over it, but in a not-at-all epic way.

One of the more senior people in my team went in to the boss, set down a contract for a lateral move to a comparable market for a 50% raise, and said "it would be fiscally irresponsible for me to work here any longer", then walked out. I would have killed to see the look on the boss's face!

pennyhandlebar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2177 on: February 27, 2018, 12:14:17 AM »
Not sure if this qualifies as "epic" as I think I'm leaving with positive feelings all around and without telling anyone off, but my parents need my help, so I quit my job of 10+ years. It's funny - I'm a little apprehensive even though we have over a year of expenses in our rainy day fund and my wife is still working...and we could live on her salary indefinitely. Not sure what I'm afraid of TBH, but I think I'm learning that I may have built too much of my self-identity around my work. 

I really don't know what's next, but I've given myself permission to not try to get into anything else until the fall. Nice to have the option to take this time, and it's interesting to me to see my co-worker's reactions -- people were generally congratulatory and supportive, but there were a few who seemed surprised I could afford to be out of work for an extended time. heh heh heh, that's the power of the mustache...

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2178 on: February 27, 2018, 03:13:07 AM »
Not sure if this qualifies as "epic" as I think I'm leaving with positive feelings all around and without telling anyone off, but my parents need my help, so I quit my job of 10+ years. It's funny - I'm a little apprehensive even though we have over a year of expenses in our rainy day fund and my wife is still working...and we could live on her salary indefinitely. Not sure what I'm afraid of TBH, but I think I'm learning that I may have built too much of my self-identity around my work. 

I really don't know what's next, but I've given myself permission to not try to get into anything else until the fall. Nice to have the option to take this time, and it's interesting to me to see my co-worker's reactions -- people were generally congratulatory and supportive, but there were a few who seemed surprised I could afford to be out of work for an extended time. heh heh heh, that's the power of the mustache...

Nice job, PennyHandlebar.  Go you!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2179 on: February 27, 2018, 09:21:05 AM »
One of the more senior people in my team went in to the boss, set down a contract for a lateral move to a comparable market for a 50% raise, and said "it would be fiscally irresponsible for me to work here any longer", then walked out. I would have killed to see the look on the boss's face!
That quote is Epic! Glad to see you back in these parts, grantmeaname. You were missed.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #2180 on: February 27, 2018, 09:38:41 AM »
Thanks, Dicey! It’s good to be back :)

Wayward

• Stubble
  • Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will
« Reply #2181 on: February 27, 2018, 11:42:49 AM »
You guys are awesome, such an inspiring thread! 

In late 2007/early 2008 I was in my early 20’s working as a Customer Service Rep for a small business.  I don’t remember how much I was making per hour, but it wasn’t much.  Almost every week the manager would add more tasks, many of which were not related to my job title.  When I asked for a raise to compensate for the additional tasks I was told it’s a small business and they didn’t have job descriptions.  It was a dead-end job, but at the time I didn’t have a degree so I felt stuck. 

The office culture was awful, with one coworker in particular who would to walk around basically being noisy.  The manager would come into my office with petty complaints like a coworker had seen me reading a book at my desk (which I stated was during lunch break and not against company policy).  The owners were equally awful and turn over in upper management was high: a new higher up would come in, change a bunch of things that didn’t matter, while not dealing with the actual issues, then leave or be fired.  I was even forced to vacate my office and take a desk randomly placed on the main floor with a lot of traffic for a manager that worked at another location, in case he needed to come to our building – He never once used the office.           

The last straw was when the company hired an Accounts Payable person with a fancy degree at another location, but I was pretty much doing his job and just scanning my work to him (where he probably took all the credit).  Even though I didn’t have much FU money, I also didn’t have any debt.  When I refused to continue doing his work, I ended up getting fired for “complaining about doing my job”.  I collected unemployment (which the manager tried to block) and went back to college.  Best thing that ever happened to me!

Target2018

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2182 on: February 27, 2018, 01:49:43 PM »
You guys are awesome, such an inspiring thread! 

In late 2007/early 2008 I was in my early 20’s working as a Customer Service Rep for a small business.  I don’t remember how much I was making per hour, but it wasn’t much.  Almost every week the manager would add more tasks, many of which were not related to my job title.  When I asked for a raise to compensate for the additional tasks I was told it’s a small business and they didn’t have job descriptions.  It was a dead-end job, but at the time I didn’t have a degree so I felt stuck. 

The office culture was awful, with one coworker in particular who would to walk around basically being noisy.  The manager would come into my office with petty complaints like a coworker had seen me reading a book at my desk (which I stated was during lunch break and not against company policy).  The owners were equally awful and turn over in upper management was high: a new higher up would come in, change a bunch of things that didn’t matter, while not dealing with the actual issues, then leave or be fired.  I was even forced to vacate my office and take a desk randomly placed on the main floor with a lot of traffic for a manager that worked at another location, in case he needed to come to our building – He never once used the office.           

The last straw was when the company hired an Accounts Payable person with a fancy degree at another location, but I was pretty much doing his job and just scanning my work to him (where he probably took all the credit).  Even though I didn’t have much FU money, I also didn’t have any debt.  When I refused to continue doing his work, I ended up getting fired for “complaining about doing my job”.  I collected unemployment (which the manager tried to block) and went back to college.  Best thing that ever happened to me!

That is indeed epic.  Good for you!!!!

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2183 on: March 01, 2018, 12:43:24 PM »
So most story here is related to job, but thought this story might be appropriate to post here.

We want to sell one of our rental house last fall. Not the best time to sell the house but we want to try it anyway. We had some people who looked at the house. One guy with his big family from South Asia was interested. We met several time, talked over the phone, text, during winter but can not close the deal. They keep wanting more discount, we gave them our bottom line price. It just drags on and on, and starting to get annoying. They would be in contact, and say we will call you but then no news for 2-3 weeks. Then they get in contact again, asking bunch of questions. Then nothing for 2-3 weeks. Then get in contact again. How about new carpet (the house has new carpet but they do not like it). How about getting us new kitchen with marble countertop (wth?). How about new appliances... how about ceiling fans... etc. He was nice, but just amazing how much crap he was wanting us to do eventhough up front I told him we are not doing anything for you. The house is as is. And I mentioned to him come Spring, I may change my mind or someone will buy it for my asking price. There are very limited house for sale in this area because it is within great school district after they re-do the school district.

Last month we decided that we going to put that house back as rental. I think we are feed up with them, and we have some family situation that we need to deal with, so no time for this BS. Within 1 day of putting for rent sign, this same guy contacted us that he wants to meet and talk. I text him back, nope house is for rent. He was like what you mean... we are interested... LMAO! It felt sooo good to tell this guy the house is not for sale

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2184 on: March 02, 2018, 07:49:13 PM »

Last month we decided that we going to put that house back as rental. I think we are feed up with them, and we have some family situation that we need to deal with, so no time for this BS. Within 1 day of putting for rent sign, this same guy contacted us that he wants to meet and talk. I text him back, nope house is for rent. He was like what you mean... we are interested... LMAO! It felt sooo good to tell this guy the house is not for sale

You can also just tell him that you need full listing price, he's got until you get a renter in there ;)

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2185 on: March 02, 2018, 09:00:51 PM »

You can also just tell him that you need full listing price, he's got until you get a renter in there ;)

Yes. This ^^^. "I'm so glad to hear that you are still interested in the house. I look forward to receiving an offer from your real estate agent by end of business day tomorrow."

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2186 on: March 02, 2018, 09:08:25 PM »
"Yes. This ^^^. "I'm so glad to hear that you are still interested in the house AS IS. I look forward to receiving an offer from your real estate agent by end of business day tomorrow."

Fixed that for you. :)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2187 on: March 03, 2018, 10:57:38 AM »
"Yes. This ^^^. "I'm so glad to hear that you are still interested in the house AS IS. I look forward to receiving an offer from your real estate agent by end of business day tomorrow."

I hate "buyers" like this. They pull this shit, hoping you'll cave. Then they laugh at you and brag to their friends how stupid you are and what a great deal they made. Tell him to fuck right off. Then block his number. THAT'S FU money at work.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2188 on: March 03, 2018, 05:45:17 PM »
So most story here is related to job, but thought this story might be appropriate to post here.

We want to sell one of our rental house last fall. Not the best time to sell the house but we want to try it anyway. We had some people who looked at the house. One guy with his big family from South Asia was interested. We met several time, talked over the phone, text, during winter but can not close the deal. They keep wanting more discount, we gave them our bottom line price. It just drags on and on, and starting to get annoying. They would be in contact, and say we will call you but then no news for 2-3 weeks. Then they get in contact again, asking bunch of questions. Then nothing for 2-3 weeks. Then get in contact again. How about new carpet (the house has new carpet but they do not like it). How about getting us new kitchen with marble countertop (wth?). How about new appliances... how about ceiling fans... etc. He was nice, but just amazing how much crap he was wanting us to do eventhough up front I told him we are not doing anything for you. The house is as is. And I mentioned to him come Spring, I may change my mind or someone will buy it for my asking price. There are very limited house for sale in this area because it is within great school district after they re-do the school district.

Are you dealing with my brother-in-law? Oh, wait you said big family.
My BIL (also South Asia) negotiates like that. I'm sure he drives people crazy with his requests,
he continually tries to drive the price down. It works for him, but I'd be embarrassed to do that to people.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2189 on: March 03, 2018, 09:53:59 PM »

I hate "buyers" like this. They pull this shit, hoping you'll cave. Then they laugh at you and brag to their friends how stupid you are and what a great deal they made. Tell him to fuck right off. Then block his number. THAT'S FU money at work.

Exactly!

Haha... honestly we thought about telling him our verbal offer is off. Now we are asking full price just because you try to jerk us around. But like I said earlier, we have some family situation that we are dealing with now, and just do not have the time and energy for this. We monitor the price in the neighborhood closely, and pretty confident we can get pretty close to our asking price this spring if we want to. We just need to have this house either start making money as rental again, or get sold asap.

To close this story, house is now officially out of the market. New tenant is moving in March 15. We managed to rent out the house at higher price than what we expected.

Yay!!

Are you dealing with my brother-in-law? Oh, wait you said big family.
My BIL (also South Asia) negotiates like that. I'm sure he drives people crazy with his requests,
he continually tries to drive the price down. It works for him, but I'd be embarrassed to do that to people.

Yeah I can not do that. I have placed some low offer for foreclosed properties, but "This is my offer. If you do not like it, I am walking away" kinda deal. I may send another offer if they counter offer.  I would never jerk people around and waste their time.

Yes big family. He brought his wife and kid, his brother in law and his wife, their kids, his parents. And a few more folks that I am unsure who they are. His English is pretty limited so kinda hard to have conversation. I believe we showed the house 3x. I remember on the first visit - we had a open house, there were 4 cars in the driveway. I thought wow lots of people stopping by at the same time, oh wait... you all are related?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 10:09:39 PM by sequoia »

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2190 on: March 03, 2018, 10:12:43 PM »
OK, so this has been a bit of  a saga but it's turned out slightly epic!

Late last year I worked in a job that had long since outgrown it's job description and rate of pay. I was stressed and burned out. I'd been in discussions with management for a few months but they weren't prepared to alter either the pay rate or the responsibilities. I wasn't get anywhere near market rate for what I was doing.

So, I gave notice and started looking. I'm not a person that can just stick around when I'm not happy. Anyhoo, I ended up applying for a job I thought was WAY out of my league and asking for slightly silly money for it. I got the interview, got told I was the preferred candidate but before I could take the job, the person that was currently doing it withdrew their notice and there turned out not to be a job at all.

I've been unemployed for 3 months over xmas. Last week, the people that interviewed me for the out-of-my-league job phoned and asked me to apply for a job they were advertising. I had an interview the next day, and a job offer the day after that at the silly money rate I'd asked for in the interview for the first job!

So.... now I have a challenging senior-level job, paying more than twice what I was getting last year, at an expanding company AND it's close enough to walk to. Epic!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 10:14:22 PM by AnnaGrowsAMustache »

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #2191 on: March 03, 2018, 10:17:15 PM »
@AnnaGrowsAMustache that is phenomenal!! I was hoping something like that would end up happening after that fell through for you. Congratulations! :)

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #2192 on: March 03, 2018, 10:17:22 PM »
Fuck yes! That’s amazing! Nothing like stashing beaucoup bucks and then walking home at the end of the day :)

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2193 on: March 04, 2018, 01:33:06 AM »
@AnnaGrowsAMustache that is phenomenal!! I was hoping something like that would end up happening after that fell through for you. Congratulations! :)

Thanks. It's all been a bit weird, but hopefully good in the end.

And to the other poster, yes, it'll be nice to walk to. I used to work just a few doors down from the location, and walked to work then on all the fine days. Very pleasant.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2194 on: March 04, 2018, 02:10:13 AM »

And to the other poster, yes, it'll be nice to walk to. I used to work just a few doors down from the location, and walked to work then on all the fine days. Very pleasant.

That is fantastic @AnnaGrowsAMustache !!  Congratulations!  That sounds like the holy grail of jobs -- senior level, high pay, and you can walk to work -- completely epic. 

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2195 on: March 04, 2018, 09:44:04 AM »

I agree with Dicey 100%.  No need to let this person back into your life because he'll just start trying to negotiate again.  Glad you're rid of him and you'll prob end up making bank long term with the rental.  Nice job!  Gosh, FU money just gives you more power in every aspect of negotiation!  Congrats!

CoffeeR

• Bristles
« Reply #2196 on: March 04, 2018, 10:33:30 AM »

I agree with Dicey 100%.  No need to let this person back into your life because he'll just start trying to negotiate again.  Glad you're rid of him and you'll prob end up making bank long term with the rental.  Nice job!  Gosh, FU money just gives you more power in every aspect of negotiation!  Congrats!
To each his own. If the unit is still available (e.g. not rented), I would probably offer the unit back to the buyer --- at an increased price. I would not let them derail my plans (rent or whatever).

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2197 on: March 04, 2018, 03:42:24 PM »

That is fantastic @AnnaGrowsAMustache !!  Congratulations!  That sounds like the holy grail of jobs -- senior level, high pay, and you can walk to work -- completely epic.

Fantastic!  Awesome, Anna!

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2198 on: March 04, 2018, 03:46:25 PM »
Congrats Anna!  I remember your original post on that topic, and I am SO glad that taking that leap and having confidence in youself paid off in the end (even if not quite as you originally hoped!).

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2199 on: March 04, 2018, 04:24:38 PM »

To each his own. If the unit is still available (e.g. not rented), I would probably offer the unit back to the buyer --- at an increased price. I would not let them derail my plans (rent or whatever).

Based upon excellent comments above, I would amend the response to be:

"I'm so glad to hear that you are still interested in the house AS IS. I look forward to receiving an offer from your real estate agent by end of business day tomorrow.  Said offer must include a non-refundable deposit of $[insert amount for your trouble if they fail to close the deal]."