Author Topic: Epic FU money stories  (Read 2810495 times)

kina

• Pencil Stache
  • sea urchin currency
Re: Epic FU money stories
« Reply #4150 on: December 30, 2021, 03:24:53 PM »
Priceless! Thanks for sharing!

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #4151 on: December 30, 2021, 03:51:35 PM »
I love this.  Totally passing it on. 

Interesting to note that the reddit poster made a specific choice to prioritize family after waking up to the reality of where a company's loyalty truly lies.  Did that mean they became a slacker on the job?  Nope, they became a "cornerstone" of the company.  Remember that any time someone says that those who do well in their careers are misguided or greedy capitalists -- you can live for the good of your family and pursue FIRE while being a kick ass employee.  In fact, being that kick ass employee can make FIRE happen faster than planned.  So many of us were awesome at what we did, and we left anyway.   
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 04:16:28 PM by MissNancyPryor »

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4152 on: December 30, 2021, 04:14:53 PM »
I suspect that company isn't going to be around much longer.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4153 on: December 30, 2021, 04:15:43 PM »
Glad someone saved the images, that was an entertaining read.  I like how furious he is over the loss of $X but won't pay him a fraction of $X to save it, out of pride.  Sure is expensive to be prideful.

It just goes to show that the power imbalance between management and employees has been so much in favor of employers for so long that many simply cannot grasp the idea of an employee refusing to do what they are told.

FU money is truly a wonderful thing.

Model96

• Stubble
« Reply #4154 on: December 30, 2021, 04:22:43 PM »
Saw this one on Facebook: https://www.reddit.com/r/antiwork/comments/rn52k6/twas_the_night_before_my_resignation/

tl;dr:
Guy with FU money (henceforce GWFUM) is a key player in his organization, is the only person with his skills at the company, despite trying to get a backup.  Saves his vacation days so he can take the holidays off.  High-priority contract comes up in Dec, due by EOY.  Client waits two weeks to send required information.  GWFUM's boss tells GWFUM on Dec 21that the job must be done and that he (boss) has declined GWFUM's time off.  On top of that, HR department stands firm that days off are use-it-or-lose-it.

GWFUM resigns. 

Urgent Client is now facing hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines.  GWFUM's now-former employer is facing $10k's of penalties per day for not fulfilling their contracts (not just with Urgent Client, but other existing clients). GWFUM enjoys his holidays with his family.

GWFUM's post with images of the conversation via text got deleted by reddit's moderators, but someone on Facebook captured it first, and you can see it here: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=3113816372271449&set=pcb.3113816665604753

Entertaining, but impossible to believe

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #4155 on: December 30, 2021, 04:53:02 PM »
Saw this one on Facebook: https://www.reddit.com/r/antiwork/comments/rn52k6/twas_the_night_before_my_resignation/

I always say that about the "am I the asshole" reddit thread.  Seems like a lot of creative writing goes on there with the same themes coming up on rotation.  Still, I hope this one is real.  If it isn't I don't even care because I know there are people right here on this board who could totally pull this off, so it works for me. 

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4156 on: December 30, 2021, 05:12:55 PM »
Found the GWFUM posts in the Reddit archives. Posting here so y'all don't have to track to Zuck's Muck:

Posted by iambeaker Submissions Comments at Thu, Dec 30, 2021 11:03 AM in antiwork
...There arose such a clatter, I sprang from my bed to see what was the matter.
https://www.reddit.com/r/antiwork/comments/rs554s/there_arose_such_a_clatter_i_sprang_from_my_bed/
0 Comments
Apologies for the delay in response... I had a personal matter which needed urgent attention. [I appreciate awards, but please save lives instead. In memory of my friend, who used to take 2 hour lunches with me.](https://diabetes.org/) Again, I appreciate all the messages of support, offers of help, and the spirited debate. I understand both sides of the business and I welcome all feedback. *Previously:* **Part 1:** [Twas The Night Before My Resignation](https://reddit.com/r/antiwork/comments/rn52k6/twas_the_night_before_my_resignation/) **Part 2:** [Not A Creature Was Stirring](https://reddit.com/r/antiwork/comments/rq0cmc/not_a_creature_was_stirring/) [Part 2 Text Conversation (Deleted due to Rule Violation)](https://imgur.com/a/UoGdpZI) **Previously:** Manager notified me I would need to work the week between Christmas and New Year's Day despite me having the week off approved (July). This determination was made in part to a government contractor (the client) facing a fine due to noncompliance as a result of an audit. Requests for data needed to bring the client into compliance were ignored until days before Christmas. I chose family over company and resigned the Monday after Christmas. Starting the Monday after Christmas, the manager begins to use different types of manipulation techniques and smear campaigns to change my mind. The company's CEO helps strong arm the process. During this time, a different client sends a corrupted file, and the department processes the file, causing an entire branch of reports to go down. The company is bound by a uptime clause in the contract, causing panic within the company. For every hour the reports are unresponsive, the company is fined (per report). I offer various solutions to help the company mediate the solution, but the offers are rejected. **Present Day:** Throughout the day, the manager and CEO send a barrage of texts and phone calls. One of my coworkers finds the documentation and fixes the reports. Later in the afternoon, he is served corrective action because he was accountable for processing the corrupted file and did not find the documentation faster. He tells me the manager, HR, and the CEO spent all night finding evidence to support the corrective action. I tell him to get his resume up to date. Total down time: 16 hours Around 3pm, I get a phone call from a new number. It was the client's business manager (the liaison between the former company and the client). I explained to her the delay of getting data until Christmas (despite multiple requests), the loss of a full week of PTO, the text messages/phone calls, and my offer to come back to help her company reach compliance. The business manager told me a different story. The manager and CEO called her earlier to inform her I quit and I am "stalling the project as ransom" in order to obtain more money. I explained how one could skew this view, but I am not actively seeking to return. After observing how the company treats their employees and after being treated post resignation, I have no interest in returning to the company. The business manager asks me what terms (rate, signing bonus, etc.) what I was seeking to return to my former company. She tells me she will call back in an hour and not respond to any more texts from the manager or CEO. **CEO Text:** Did the business manager call you? Did she give you a piece of her mind? **Manager Text:** I bet the business manager is going to make you personally pay for that fine! The business manager calls me back on a conference call and asks, "What do you need to finish this project? Software, data, tools, etc.?" I give her a list of everything I need. I answer other questions related to the project. She says, "Here's the plan. We are going to offer you a contract to finish this API for us by the end of the year for double the hourly rate you asked. If you can finish by 12/31, we will give you the signing bonus. After the New Year, we will see where we are staffing wise and maybe, we can find you a spot, but there is no guarantee, especially if you do not the project. Is that a deal?" I agree to the terms. I inform to put terms in writing and I can start as soon as IT gives me a virtual machine. The business manager says, "No problem, legal checked the contract and there is a clause stating if your former company is unable to perform a function which they agreed to do, we are able to outsource it to a third party and charge the company for it. I just need them to state they are unable to perform the API function, and we will bill them for your time." *TLDR;* The client is giving me a contract and billing my former company double my asking rate because the former company is unable to successfully execute a function by the deadline they agreed to in a contract.

The text message screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/UoGdpZI

BTW: everything on Reddit gets archived, even if the post is deleted and the user is deleted.

JoePublic3.14

• Bristles
« Reply #4157 on: December 30, 2021, 06:58:22 PM »

tl;dr:
Guy with FU money (henceforce GWFUM) is a key player in his organization, is the only person with his skills at the company, despite trying to get a backup.  Saves his vacation days so he can take the holidays off.  High-priority contract comes up in Dec, due by EOY.  Client waits two weeks to send required information.  GWFUM's boss tells GWFUM on Dec 21that the job must be done and that he (boss) has declined GWFUM's time off.  On top of that, HR department stands firm that days off are use-it-or-lose-it.

GWFUM resigns. 

Urgent Client is now facing hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines.  GWFUM's now-former employer is facing $10k's of penalties per day for not fulfilling their contracts (not just with Urgent Client, but other existing clients). GWFUM enjoys his holidays with his family.

GWFUM's post with images of the conversation via text got deleted by reddit's moderators, but someone on Facebook captured it first, and you can see it here: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=3113816372271449&set=pcb.3113816665604753

Yeah, some tough ones in there. If they were ‘friends' for whatever number of years, and the situation was so dire, the texts make no sense, pounding on GWFUM's front door would be believable.

But I also hope it is true…

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4158 on: December 30, 2021, 07:04:27 PM »

tl;dr:

GWFUM resigns. 

Yeah, some tough ones in there. If they were ‘friends' for whatever number of years, and the situation was so dire, the texts make no sense, pounding on GWFUM's front door would be believable.

For some managers, 'friends' means "You did what I wanted and I didn't go out of my way to screw you over just for spite."    And nothing more.

I've seen equally stupid and myopic and self-centered behavior from some managers before.   AND even less rational all at the same time.

JoePublic3.14

• Bristles
« Reply #4159 on: December 30, 2021, 07:43:25 PM »

tl;dr:

GWFUM resigns. 

For some managers, 'friends' means "You did what I wanted and I didn't go out of my way to screw you over just for spite."    And nothing more.

I've seen equally stupid and myopic and self-centered behavior from some managers before.   AND even less rational all at the same time.

Yeah, my point was that it seems likely the manager would know where the guy lived. Especially since the manager, or someone close to,the situation, had the wife’s cell number.

Model96

• Stubble
« Reply #4160 on: December 30, 2021, 08:41:22 PM »

That Company doesn't deserve to be around if it did indeed allow only one person to know such crucial operational information..

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4161 on: December 30, 2021, 08:57:44 PM »

That Company doesn't deserve to be around if it did indeed allow only one person to know such crucial operational information..

You might be surprised how often that scenario plays out in the tech world.   

And they totally mismanaged getting out of the mess, too.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4162 on: December 30, 2021, 09:09:31 PM »
Found the GWFUM posts in the Reddit archives. Posting here so y'all don't have to track to Zuck's Muck:

Posted by iambeaker Submissions Comments at Thu, Dec 30, 2021 11:03 AM in antiwork
https://www.reddit.com/r/antiwork/comments/rs554s/there_arose_such_a_clatter_i_sprang_from_my_bed/
0 Comments
Apologies for the delay in response... I had a personal matter which needed urgent attention. [I appreciate awards, but please save lives instead. In memory of my friend, who used to take 2 hour lunches with me.](https://diabetes.org/) Again, I appreciate all the messages of support, offers of help, and the spirited debate. I understand both sides of the business and I welcome all feedback.
*Previously:*
**Part 1:** [Twas The Night Before My Resignation](https://reddit.com/r/antiwork/comments/rn52k6/twas_the_night_before_my_resignation/)
**Part 2:** [Not A Creature Was Stirring](https://reddit.com/r/antiwork/comments/rq0cmc/not_a_creature_was_stirring/) [Part 2 Text Conversation (Deleted due to Rule Violation)](https://imgur.com/a/UoGdpZI)
**Previously:** Manager notified me I would need to work the week between Christmas and New Year's Day despite me having the week off approved (July). This determination was made in part to a government contractor (the client) facing a fine due to noncompliance as a result of an audit. Requests for data needed to bring the client into compliance were ignored until days before Christmas. I chose family over company and resigned the Monday after Christmas. Starting the Monday after Christmas, the manager begins to use different types of manipulation techniques and smear campaigns to change my mind. The company's CEO helps strong arm the process. During this time, a different client sends a corrupted file, and the department processes the file, causing an entire branch of reports to go down. The company is bound by a uptime clause in the contract, causing panic within the company. For every hour the reports are unresponsive, the company is fined (per report). I offer various solutions to help the company mediate the solution, but the offers are rejected.
**Present Day:** Throughout the day, the manager and CEO send a barrage of texts and phone calls. One of my coworkers finds the documentation and fixes the reports. Later in the afternoon, he is served corrective action because he was accountable for processing the corrupted file and did not find the documentation faster. He tells me the manager, HR, and the CEO spent all night finding evidence to support the corrective action. I tell him to get his resume up to date. Total down time: 16 hours Around 3pm, I get a phone call from a new number. It was the client's business manager (the liaison between the former company and the client). I explained to her the delay of getting data until Christmas (despite multiple requests), the loss of a full week of PTO, the text messages/phone calls, and my offer to come back to help her company reach compliance. The business manager told me a different story. The manager and CEO called her earlier to inform her I quit and I am "stalling the project as ransom" in order to obtain more money. I explained how one could skew this view, but I am not actively seeking to return. After observing how the company treats their employees and after being treated post resignation, I have no interest in returning to the company. The business manager asks me what terms (rate, signing bonus, etc.) what I was seeking to return to my former company. She tells me she will call back in an hour and not respond to any more texts from the manager or CEO.
**CEO Text:** Did the business manager call you? Did she give you a piece of her mind?
**Manager Text:** I bet the business manager is going to make you personally pay for that fine! The business manager calls me back on a conference call and asks, "What do you need to finish this project? Software, data, tools, etc.?" I give her a list of everything I need. I answer other questions related to the project. She says, "Here's the plan. We are going to offer you a contract to finish this API for us by the end of the year for double the hourly rate you asked. If you can finish by 12/31, we will give you the signing bonus. After the New Year, we will see where we are staffing wise and maybe, we can find you a spot, but there is no guarantee, especially if you do not the project. Is that a deal?" I agree to the terms. I inform to put terms in writing and I can start as soon as IT gives me a virtual machine. The business manager says, "No problem, legal checked the contract and there is a clause stating if your former company is unable to perform a function which they agreed to do, we are able to outsource it to a third party and charge the company for it. I just need them to state they are unable to perform the API function, and we will bill them for your time."

*TLDR;* The client is giving me a contract and billing my former company double my asking rate because the former company is unable to successfully execute a function by the deadline they agreed to in a contract.

BTW: everything on Reddit gets archived, even if the post is deleted and the user is deleted.
Thanks for posting that, as the user's account has been deleted.  I suspect some legal wranglings are in process...
(is there a way to view deleted posts?)

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4163 on: December 30, 2021, 09:45:40 PM »
That truly was epic. Damn.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #4164 on: December 30, 2021, 11:14:53 PM »
That was great. Thanks for sharing.

One of my favorite phone features is being able to block numbers. If any work college calls me after hours with something that isn't truly urgent they get blocked right away. I ended up blocking a couple of consultants and a director.

NorthernIkigai

• Bristles
  • Connoisseur of Leisure
« Reply #4165 on: December 31, 2021, 12:26:05 AM »
So… API person with FU money ended up working between Christmas and New Year anyway, on the same project, except now directly for the client and for more money and with no guarantee of a future job. While I agree that the original employer deserves everything they got (and more), this doesn’t quite feel like the win it felt like before this last update. I thought the point was to relax with the family?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 12:36:57 AM by NorthernIkigai »

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4166 on: December 31, 2021, 03:20:01 AM »
I don't know if my situation is a FU money story or a MPP. (If y'all say MPP, I'll move it there.)

A couple of weeks ago, a cloud service provider (CSP) recruiter contacted me for a position. A relative works there. Had the 30 minute screening call (which was almost an hour) and it went well, which opened up a few different opportunities in different customer sectors due to my background and experience. I was to send my résumé to recruiter and they would let me know "as soon as possible". I asked them to clarify benefits, working hours, etc.
Wife and I have good pay, rental income from several condos, 2 homes (renovating one, then moving in, and selling the old one in this crazy  RE market), and retirement/brokerage accounts. We aren't in need of more money (and more stress) at the expense of a balanced work/life routine. My wife is looking at changing jobs to a less stressful and lesser hours gig.

We have FU money, we are technically FI, in the 2 comma club. We're already talking about me going FIRE in 12 years, when I turn 55 (because my job and industry is fun, because the people are fun). Wife probably will be retiring earlier. And we'll downsize. All this is in the IPS/long-term plan.

I don't need or want the CSP gig.

Thanks FU Money.

Since I worked in the field, I have a pretty good idea who this CSP is :-) But in any case, I really approve of your thought process. I was also heavily recruited by (very likely) the same CSP and I turned them down too. You have a good work-life balance and your situation looks good so I think you made the right decision.

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4167 on: December 31, 2021, 03:25:07 AM »

You are absolutely right about this! When I quit a mega company in 2019, there was considerable panic since I was the only one who knew how a critical subsystem of a big product worked. Mind you, I had been offering for months to train other people with no takers.

JoePublic3.14

• Bristles
« Reply #4168 on: December 31, 2021, 06:50:15 AM »

One of my favorite phone features is being able to block numbers. If any work college calls me after hours with something that isn't truly urgent they get blocked right away. I ended up blocking a couple of consultants and a director.

That’s awesome! I love that policy.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4169 on: December 31, 2021, 08:26:12 AM »

Do you know what happens when they try to call you again after you block them? Does it just ring and ring until they give up? Does it just not connect to anything? Or does it give them some msg about the number being unavailable?

Malossi792

• Stubble
« Reply #4170 on: December 31, 2021, 08:57:23 AM »

Do you know what happens when they try to call you again after you block them? Does it just ring and ring until they give up? Does it just not connect to anything? Or does it give them some msg about the number being unavailable?
It's like when your phone is turned off, at least for me. You can always try with someone sitting next to you (don't forget to unblock them later).
Great feature for peace of mind.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4171 on: December 31, 2021, 09:15:20 AM »
On thé iPhone it is Do Not Disturb in the settings. You set the hours when you don’t want notifications and any call doesn’t vibrate or ring. It might go straight to voicemail; I’m not sure there. Only people on your Favorites list can get through. I think if the same number calls you three times in a row it will get through on the last try.

Turtle

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #4172 on: December 31, 2021, 09:31:38 AM »
As far as working during Twixtmas week after all; GWFUM got to work from home, around the family schedule, rather than in the office with the attendant risks and distractions so probably still got family time in addition to much more money and appreciation.

I can totally believe that pointy haired boss couldn't read the documentation but one of the coworkers could.  My guess is that coworker may even have volunteered to be back up but been told there was no time for training.  Seems to fit with my experiences and the rest of the story.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4173 on: December 31, 2021, 09:49:04 AM »

I'm an auditor. I'm well aware. I've also seen plenty of them go out of business, or survive in a greatly reduced fashion.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #4174 on: December 31, 2021, 12:50:17 PM »

It's like when your phone is turned off, at least for me. You can always try with someone sitting next to you (don't forget to unblock them later).
Great feature for peace of mind.

This. And I don't have voicemail setup. The director asked me about it and I just shrugged and mumbled something and networks. I should have been more direct and just said I don't accept non emergency work calls after-hours. But I'm not comfortable with confrontation.

On thé iPhone it is Do Not Disturb in the settings. You set the hours when you don’t want notifications and any call doesn’t vibrate or ring. It might go straight to voicemail; I’m not sure there. Only people on your Favorites list can get through. I think if the same number calls you three times in a row it will get through on the last try.

Blocking a number is more intense than setting do not disturb. Once blocked your phone doesn't even notify you of the call, and they can never get through no matter how many times they try until you unblock the number.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 12:57:18 PM by gooki »

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache

Malossi792

• Stubble
« Reply #4176 on: January 01, 2022, 07:14:35 AM »
Oh Do not disturb!
Another favourite of mine. In fact, it has been continuously turned on for about 10 days now. You get to decide whose calls come through (close family members only for me), for everything else it's muted. You get the notification, other party hears your ,,phone ringing" until they get bored with you not picking up. I use it every night off, too (or just shut the phone off entirely).
Blocking a number for good is reserved for the biggest jerks in my life, usually colleagues who I have to tolerate in the workplace but just won't in my free time.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4177 on: January 01, 2022, 12:34:19 PM »
Can you share more details about how your Executive Director reacted when she found out you gave notice?  The story doesn't need it...I'm just a nosy Nellie!

I'd like to know as well.

Great job.

Thanks y’all!

She wasn’t used to people telling her no, so when I refused her kind offer of doing two jobs for the pay of one, she threatened me and left to go to a meeting with the other top brass in the organization. I emailed the other top brass my two weeks notice, so they got it while in that meeting (and I know HR was checking email) so the whole meeting got my message and my explanation of why I was leaving. This meant she had 100% turnover in a year. She came back and slammed her office door. She spent the next two weeks not speaking to me, and leaving me out of office activities. I kid you not, she called her administration assistant and my outgoing supervisor into an office and slammed the door in my face. I heard them giggling behind the door.

I documented everything, the anti-Catholic bigotry, the bullying, name-calling, vulgarity (she called other women cooters), the retaliation, and the overall office environment she created and encouraged (my supervisor was fond of screaming about Goddamn straight white men and there Goddamn penisis, but she was another nightmare altogether. Screaming at me in front of colleagues, public tantrums, insulting project manager’s projects, slamming things on her desk, and lying). Everyone on campus had a story about this woman and everyone knew how she got her first admin assistant fired (and then laughed when she heard the woman was driving Uber to make ends meet. I really can’t get over that). While I was documenting stuff, I also told all my fellow Catholics, and all the other religious minority colleagues, about her comments. Her job strongly relies on having good relationships with colleagues and the community. Several people stopped volunteering at her events. Partly because she was fond of screaming fits, partly because who wants to work with a bigot?

I have it on good authority that HR and the College President were not happy about her behavior and some disciplinary action was taken. She’s still working there. She said she hated it multiple times, but whenever she came into the deli where I worked she made a point to wear brand new Lily Pulitzer. And to be rude to other customers. Who are often very wealthy and influential people in the community.

And that’s why I left before I found a full time job.

Just an update on how things turned out.

I am now working full time at the library and have been since March of 2020. The pay isn't much, but my coworkers are kind and respectful, and I genuinely like them as people. My leadership is the same, and has taken every opportunity to be supportive. I produced a series of video recordings featuring leaders of different religions that was one of our most popular programs during 2020. I consider it a highlight of my career. I've since produced several book talks, my most recent one being on books about the Holy Land. I partnered with a Jewish coworker who had visited the Holy Land and could offer a second perspective. That turned out really well and I'm pretty proud of that project.

Like I said, the pay isn't much, so I got a housemate. This saved me more than $500 a month, which I tossed in my Roth IRA. I fully funded that last year. My housemate is a lovely human, and I'm really glad I got to know her better. She's getting married in Feb. and I'm invited to the wedding.

I started a side hustle offering writing/editing services. I love it, and it brings in some extra money. I'm hoping that when I am ready to move on, I'll be able to use that to segue into a higher paying job, perhaps in technical writing.

My savings/investments total over $120,000. I'm proud of that.

The ED I used to work for was recently managed out. I have to admit, it is cathartic to know someone realized her behavior was inappropriate and disgusting. I've spent years trying to forgive both of those women. It's an uphill battle.

bmjohnson35

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4178 on: January 01, 2022, 10:41:09 PM »

0 Comments
Apologies for the delay in response... I had a personal matter which needed urgent attention. [I appreciate awards, but please save lives instead. In memory of my friend, who used to take 2 hour lunches with me.](https://diabetes.org/) Again, I appreciate all the messages of support, offers of help, and the spirited debate. I understand both sides of the business and I welcome all feedback. *Previously:* **Part 1:** [Twas The Night Before My Resignation](https://reddit.com/r/antiwork/comments/rn52k6/twas_the_night_before_my_resignation/) **Part 2:** [Not A Creature Was Stirring](https://reddit.com/r/antiwork/comments/rq0cmc/not_a_creature_was_stirring/) [Part 2 Text Conversation (Deleted due to Rule Violation)](https://imgur.com/a/UoGdpZI) **Previously:** Manager notified me I would need to work the week between Christmas and New Year's Day despite me having the week off approved (July). This determination was made in part to a government contractor (the client) facing a fine due to noncompliance as a result of an audit. Requests for data needed to bring the client into compliance were ignored until days before Christmas. I chose family over company and resigned the Monday after Christmas. Starting the Monday after Christmas, the manager begins to use different types of manipulation techniques and smear campaigns to change my mind. The company's CEO helps strong arm the process. During this time, a different client sends a corrupted file, and the department processes the file, causing an entire branch of reports to go down. The company is bound by a uptime clause in the contract, causing panic within the company. For every hour the reports are unresponsive, the company is fined (per report). I offer various solutions to help the company mediate the solution, but the offers are rejected. **Present Day:** Throughout the day, the manager and CEO send a barrage of texts and phone calls. One of my coworkers finds the documentation and fixes the reports. Later in the afternoon, he is served corrective action because he was accountable for processing the corrupted file and did not find the documentation faster. He tells me the manager, HR, and the CEO spent all night finding evidence to support the corrective action. I tell him to get his resume up to date. Total down time: 16 hours Around 3pm, I get a phone call from a new number. It was the client's business manager (the liaison between the former company and the client). I explained to her the delay of getting data until Christmas (despite multiple requests), the loss of a full week of PTO, the text messages/phone calls, and my offer to come back to help her company reach compliance. The business manager told me a different story. The manager and CEO called her earlier to inform her I quit and I am "stalling the project as ransom" in order to obtain more money. I explained how one could skew this view, but I am not actively seeking to return. After observing how the company treats their employees and after being treated post resignation, I have no interest in returning to the company. The business manager asks me what terms (rate, signing bonus, etc.) what I was seeking to return to my former company. She tells me she will call back in an hour and not respond to any more texts from the manager or CEO. **CEO Text:** Did the business manager call you? Did she give you a piece of her mind? **Manager Text:** I bet the business manager is going to make you personally pay for that fine! The business manager calls me back on a conference call and asks, "What do you need to finish this project? Software, data, tools, etc.?" I give her a list of everything I need. I answer other questions related to the project. She says, "Here's the plan. We are going to offer you a contract to finish this API for us by the end of the year for double the hourly rate you asked. If you can finish by 12/31, we will give you the signing bonus. After the New Year, we will see where we are staffing wise and maybe, we can find you a spot, but there is no guarantee, especially if you do not the project. Is that a deal?" I agree to the terms. I inform to put terms in writing and I can start as soon as IT gives me a virtual machine. The business manager says, "No problem, legal checked the contract and there is a clause stating if your former company is unable to perform a function which they agreed to do, we are able to outsource it to a third party and charge the company for it. I just need them to state they are unable to perform the API function, and we will bill them for your time." *TLDR;* The client is giving me a contract and billing my former company double my asking rate because the former company is unable to successfully execute a function by the deadline they agreed to in a contract.

If this is real and not a work of fiction or at least embellished, it's a truly an Epic FU story.  I have seen first hand how companies can come to rely on a single person for critical technical knowledge and I have also seen examples where management and/or HR can be incredibley arrogant and prideful.  I can also easily see them absorbing those huge fines and unwilling to meet the employees demands, despite their situation.  It's crazy how companies will pay a failure of a CEO millions to just leave, yet can't wrap their head around paying someone in the lower ranks the money he was asking of them.   

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4179 on: January 02, 2022, 06:18:37 AM »

If this is real and not a work of fiction or at least embellished, it's a truly an Epic FU story.  I have seen first hand how companies can come to rely on a single person for critical technical knowledge and I have also seen examples where management and/or HR can be incredibley arrogant and prideful.  I can also easily see them absorbing those huge fines and unwilling to meet the employees demands, despite their situation.  It's crazy how companies will pay a failure of a CEO millions to just leave, yet can't wrap their head around paying someone in the lower ranks the money he was asking of them.

Or even treating them with basic human respect...

The clincher is writing up the programmer who did manage to make stuff work in order to cover their butts.   How's that for completely demoralizing an entire department?  No one's ever going to step up again while those two managers are in charge.

bmjohnson35

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4180 on: January 02, 2022, 09:09:54 AM »

The clincher is writing up the programmer who did manage to make stuff work in order to cover their butts.   How's that for completely demoralizing an entire department?  No one's ever going to step up again while those two managers are in charge.

Agreed. This is probably the most unbelievable part of the story.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4181 on: January 02, 2022, 09:15:15 AM »

I'd believe it.  I was in a meeting last year where my boss's boss's boss told our entire department that it's management's opinion that the real work happens in the office, and the IT department hadn't been in the office.  For context, we were not allowed to go into the office due to the established COVID protocols -- and we had built the entire remote work system/infrastructure (that kept the company functioning) from scratch with no advance notice (they were telling us on a Wednesday it would never happen and then decided WFH was happening on Friday).

So, I don't work there anymore -- and neither do a significant percentage of other senior employees.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4182 on: January 02, 2022, 10:41:28 AM »

I would believe it. I know someone who was let go of their job because they didn't "follow proper protocol" in firing an employee. This person had all the documented everything to protect the company from unlawful termination, discrimination, or any other claim the fired employee might try to claim. The person I know was let go because it was not done in the specific HR approved manner.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4183 on: January 02, 2022, 11:36:08 AM »

I worked with a manager who intentionally drove out anyone competent in her department.   She was a totally unqualified imposter who feared that anyone good might replace her, so she made sure no one in her department was competition. 

She would have thrown any of her employees under the bus to save her skin if she thought she could get away with it.

There are gobs of stories out there about managers whose most important goal is to look good to upper management no matter who they have to screw over to do so.   So, since someone is clearly at fault when the company is paying huge sums of money in penalties, who is that going to be:

1) managers who allowed a single point of failure -- they don't want THIS option chosen,
2) managers whose mismanagement caused a key employee to quit -- they don't want THIS option chosen either,
3) managers who had their disgruntled employee properly document what has to be done and the only reason that things aren't done right is another employee failed...   Yep, that's what they want.  No fault for them here.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4184 on: January 03, 2022, 10:56:28 AM »
That was very entertaining, and unfortunately, believable.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4185 on: January 04, 2022, 10:35:05 AM »
Can you share more details about how your Executive Director reacted when she found out you gave notice?  The story doesn't need it...I'm just a nosy Nellie!

I'd like to know as well.

Great job.

Thanks y’all!

She wasn’t used to people telling her no, so when I refused her kind offer of doing two jobs for the pay of one, she threatened me and left to go to a meeting with the other top brass in the organization. I emailed the other top brass my two weeks notice, so they got it while in that meeting (and I know HR was checking email) so the whole meeting got my message and my explanation of why I was leaving. This meant she had 100% turnover in a year. She came back and slammed her office door. She spent the next two weeks not speaking to me, and leaving me out of office activities. I kid you not, she called her administration assistant and my outgoing supervisor into an office and slammed the door in my face. I heard them giggling behind the door.

I documented everything, the anti-Catholic bigotry, the bullying, name-calling, vulgarity (she called other women cooters), the retaliation, and the overall office environment she created and encouraged (my supervisor was fond of screaming about Goddamn straight white men and there Goddamn penisis, but she was another nightmare altogether. Screaming at me in front of colleagues, public tantrums, insulting project manager’s projects, slamming things on her desk, and lying). Everyone on campus had a story about this woman and everyone knew how she got her first admin assistant fired (and then laughed when she heard the woman was driving Uber to make ends meet. I really can’t get over that). While I was documenting stuff, I also told all my fellow Catholics, and all the other religious minority colleagues, about her comments. Her job strongly relies on having good relationships with colleagues and the community. Several people stopped volunteering at her events. Partly because she was fond of screaming fits, partly because who wants to work with a bigot?

I have it on good authority that HR and the College President were not happy about her behavior and some disciplinary action was taken. She’s still working there. She said she hated it multiple times, but whenever she came into the deli where I worked she made a point to wear brand new Lily Pulitzer. And to be rude to other customers. Who are often very wealthy and influential people in the community.

And that’s why I left before I found a full time job.

Just an update on how things turned out.

I am now working full time at the library and have been since March of 2020. The pay isn't much, but my coworkers are kind and respectful, and I genuinely like them as people. My leadership is the same, and has taken every opportunity to be supportive. I produced a series of video recordings featuring leaders of different religions that was one of our most popular programs during 2020. I consider it a highlight of my career. I've since produced several book talks, my most recent one being on books about the Holy Land. I partnered with a Jewish coworker who had visited the Holy Land and could offer a second perspective. That turned out really well and I'm pretty proud of that project.

Like I said, the pay isn't much, so I got a housemate. This saved me more than $500 a month, which I tossed in my Roth IRA. I fully funded that last year. My housemate is a lovely human, and I'm really glad I got to know her better. She's getting married in Feb. and I'm invited to the wedding.

I started a side hustle offering writing/editing services. I love it, and it brings in some extra money. I'm hoping that when I am ready to move on, I'll be able to use that to segue into a higher paying job, perhaps in technical writing.

My savings/investments total over $120,000. I'm proud of that.

The ED I used to work for was recently managed out. I have to admit, it is cathartic to know someone realized her behavior was inappropriate and disgusting. I've spent years trying to forgive both of those women. It's an uphill battle.

I love this summary. You're a boss.

felixbf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4186 on: January 05, 2022, 12:09:37 AM »
glad to see this forum is meeting their women engineer quota.

I'm a male in IT/Tech/Engineering. When I hear stupid fake shit about women from a team lead/manager/leadership because of some make-believe stereotype, immediate red flag is raised, and I start looking for opportunities externally. Because this time it was women, next time it will about a minority, and it will go on. In my experience, HR does nothing, so time to bail. That FU Stash activation feels so good.

IF you feel that you're in a position to do so, it would be super-cool if you would push back on that shit.

Because it's far more effective when a bro says "seriously dude? The 1950s called, and they want their sexism back" then when a woman says ... anything, because that makes her a bitchy bitch.

My first full time engineering job in the mid-2000s, with the Engineering Ethics class from university still fresh in my mind, and having gone thru the various employer training, I called out a senior engineer during a meeting, as soon as he uttered ridiculous nonsense. He talked trash about 2 female engineers (who were my E-school classmates) and the Turkish change management lady. But the female CEO of that company didn't like my pushing back, and they never forgot. When we had layoffs, the 2 female engineers were fired in the first round and I got their work. A month later, they fired me for cause, for belittling a senior. IDGAF and had 6 months of emergency fund and had made local industry contacts.

Next workplace, my team lead and senior techs would call out others who said sexist and racist things, so I was part of a like-minded team. But our female manager wasn't a fan of our callouts as well as our refusal to put a blind eye on inspection fails and workplace safety violations. So our team got the least raises despite being critical to the company (no products could be certified without our department testing them for compliance and signing off). I was denied a promotion (had been verbally informed a month prior that I would be). Manager and her boss, a female director, openly said my minority was good at being frugal and thrifty, and said working with this company was a raise unto itself. HR didn't give a damn when I raised it, they said those were heat of the moment responses by management. I quit a couple of weeks later with a 30% more pay, a day after my 3 year stock vesting hit 100%.

It might seem super-cool to many when men stand up for women in the workplace, but we're the ones who get the shaft, financially and morally.

HR is not there to help the normal employees. Only to look after the company and it's managers.
Never take anything up with HR, it is a loosing battle most times.

NoVa

• Stubble
« Reply #4187 on: January 05, 2022, 09:53:00 AM »

I'm a male in IT/Tech/Engineering. When I hear stupid fake shit about women from a team lead/manager/leadership because of some make-believe stereotype, immediate red flag is raised, and I start looking for opportunities externally. Because this time it was women, next time it will about a minority, and it will go on. In my experience, HR does nothing, so time to bail. That FU Stash activation feels so good.

IF you feel that you're in a position to do so, it would be super-cool if you would push back on that shit.

Because it's far more effective when a bro says "seriously dude? The 1950s called, and they want their sexism back" then when a woman says ... anything, because that makes her a bitchy bitch.

My first full time engineering job in the mid-2000s, with the Engineering Ethics class from university still fresh in my mind, and having gone thru the various employer training, I called out a senior engineer during a meeting, as soon as he uttered ridiculous nonsense. He talked trash about 2 female engineers (who were my E-school classmates) and the Turkish change management lady. But the female CEO of that company didn't like my pushing back, and they never forgot. When we had layoffs, the 2 female engineers were fired in the first round and I got their work. A month later, they fired me for cause, for belittling a senior. IDGAF and had 6 months of emergency fund and had made local industry contacts.

Next workplace, my team lead and senior techs would call out others who said sexist and racist things, so I was part of a like-minded team. But our female manager wasn't a fan of our callouts as well as our refusal to put a blind eye on inspection fails and workplace safety violations. So our team got the least raises despite being critical to the company (no products could be certified without our department testing them for compliance and signing off). I was denied a promotion (had been verbally informed a month prior that I would be). Manager and her boss, a female director, openly said my minority was good at being frugal and thrifty, and said working with this company was a raise unto itself. HR didn't give a damn when I raised it, they said those were heat of the moment responses by management. I quit a couple of weeks later with a 30% more pay, a day after my 3 year stock vesting hit 100%.

It might seem super-cool to many when men stand up for women in the workplace, but we're the ones who get the shaft, financially and morally.

HR is not there to help the normal employees. Only to look after the company and it's managers.

HR works for the company. Also, it's right there in the title, how to turn Humans into Resources. If you have a legitimate legal issue, they might help, because they don't want to expose the company to liability.

snowball

• Bristles
« Reply #4188 on: January 09, 2022, 05:01:02 AM »
HR works for the company. Also, it's right there in the title, how to turn Humans into Resources. If you have a legitimate legal issue, they might help, because they don't want to expose the company to liability.

I've found them helpful on occasion;  you just need to make sure their goals are going to align with yours regarding whatever the issue is, and perhaps be mindful in the way you frame the issue for them.  And definitely anything that could turn into a legal issue will light a fire under them (if it's a well-run HR dept).  It mystifies me when people seem to think HR is supposed to be some kind of...impartial source of justice.  As you say, that's not at all what they're for;  they work for the company.  Though that doesn't mean they will always side with a manager in a dispute, which I suppose is where the misconception comes from.

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4189 on: January 09, 2022, 06:21:03 AM »

This is an important point. It's also important to understand HR are people, too. If they're HR in a situation with multi-hundreds of people to manage like a factory setting, they've likely dealt with untold ridiculousness of situations and deal with complaints all the time. I know I'd probably become pretty cynical if I had to deal with what they have to deal with. I've found if you're nice to them and reasonable the good ones can be helpful.....but as you say, they're first loyalty is always the company.

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4190 on: January 09, 2022, 12:37:17 PM »

This is an important point. It's also important to understand HR are people, too. If they're HR in a situation with multi-hundreds of people to manage like a factory setting, they've likely dealt with untold ridiculousness of situations and deal with complaints all the time. I know I'd probably become pretty cynical if I had to deal with what they have to deal with. I've found if you're nice to them and reasonable the good ones can be helpful.....but as you say, they're first loyalty is always the company.

Just like all things in life, this is generally true, but there are exceptions.  I have found HR to be very pro-employee in some specific settings.  In one example I was a manager and HR recommended some specific actions for our employee to take that allowed him to access a death benefit (employee was terminally ill).  It was their suggestion for the employee take the actions that got them the benefit - and if they only looked out for the company they could have not said anything.  The company self-insured those kinds of payments - so it did come out of company funds.

Honestly, this is one of the moments I will cherish the most in my career.  The family sent me a thank you letter for helping them.

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4191 on: January 09, 2022, 01:15:18 PM »

Just like all things in life, this is generally true, but there are exceptions.  I have found HR to be very pro-employee in some specific settings.  In one example I was a manager and HR recommended some specific actions for our employee to take that allowed him to access a death benefit (employee was terminally ill).  It was their suggestion for the employee take the actions that got them the benefit - and if they only looked out for the company they could have not said anything.  The company self-insured those kinds of payments - so it did come out of company funds.

Honestly, this is one of the moments I will cherish the most in my career.  The family sent me a thank you letter for helping them.

Great story and you're right, I shouldn't have said always. Corporate America tends to corrupt even the best ones - leading to the crux of threads like this, and the higher you go in it, the less likely you are to retain your conscious. However, there are always those welcome exceptions who exemplify positive virtues even in the midst of it all.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4192 on: January 09, 2022, 05:09:56 PM »

Great story and you're right, I shouldn't have said always. Corporate America tends to corrupt even the best ones - leading to the crux of threads like this, and the higher you go in it, the less likely you are to retain your conscious. However, there are always those welcome exceptions who exemplify positive virtues even in the midst of it all.

The "next workplace" I described above, with the female manager and female director, was a Fortune 500.
We never went to HR, because that place was known as Honeywell Resources. They had only the company's welfare at heart.
(According to the pre-merger lifers, the company went to the dogs bollocks when Allied Signal purchased Honeywell and kept the H name since Allied Signal had a terrible name. And the CEO during my time there was David Cote, one of GE's Jack Welch's proteges, slash master extraordinaire.)

bill1827

• Stubble
« Reply #4193 on: January 10, 2022, 03:21:11 AM »
(According to the pre-merger lifers, the company went to the dogs bollocks when Allied Signal purchased Honeywell and kept the H name since Allied Signal had a terrible name.)

Do you mean "went to the dogs" i.e. got much worse or "became the dogs bollocks" i.e. became the best?

I guess you mean got worse.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4194 on: January 10, 2022, 07:59:42 AM »
Hello, ringing in as an HR worker here. There are 3 of us in my particular HR (couple hundred employees), and I am always, always in favor of the employee, unless they are being particularly dickish, or the sort who is always taking advantage of every little thing (and therefore not worth me utilizing my limited goodwill for). Despite being just a peon, on several occasions I have spoken up and gotten policy changed in favor of a person or large group. However, I have a boss, and she is a little more old school ('be glad you have a job and don't complain about your benefits'), so sometimes I lose the battle. Anyway, I just say that to say that like anything, it's all over the place and depends on the company and the individuals and also sometimes like, whether they had coffee that morning (which is not right of course, but they are only human). Be nice to your HR peeps - it could help you out!

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4195 on: January 10, 2022, 10:39:03 AM »
(According to the pre-merger lifers, the company went to the dogs bollocks when Allied Signal purchased Honeywell and kept the H name since Allied Signal had a terrible name.)

Do you mean "went to the dogs" i.e. got much worse or "became the dogs bollocks" i.e. became the best?

I guess you mean got worse.

yes, I meant "went to the dogs".
i say "dogs bollocks" quite often... so unknowingly joined the two phrases.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4196 on: January 10, 2022, 12:32:21 PM »
Hello, ringing in as an HR worker here. There are 3 of us in my particular HR (couple hundred employees), and I am always, always in favor of the employee, unless they are being particularly dickish, or the sort who is always taking advantage of every little thing (and therefore not worth me utilizing my limited goodwill for). Despite being just a peon, on several occasions I have spoken up and gotten policy changed in favor of a person or large group. However, I have a boss, and she is a little more old school ('be glad you have a job and don't complain about your benefits'), so sometimes I lose the battle. Anyway, I just say that to say that like anything, it's all over the place and depends on the company and the individuals and also sometimes like, whether they had coffee that morning (which is not right of course, but they are only human). Be nice to your HR peeps - it could help you out!
We had a fantastic HR director at one point. Yeah, they are always for the company, but this one director convinced the company to pay me my full salary while out on mat leave.  It had never happened before, and hasn't happened since because she left.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4197 on: January 11, 2022, 06:18:41 AM »
When my wife was expecting our first, one of the supervisors took me aside and told me the story of how he'd given a seminar in Indiana on the day his daughter was born (this was at an academic institution).

NorthernIkigai

• Bristles
  • Connoisseur of Leisure
« Reply #4198 on: January 11, 2022, 06:25:47 AM »
When my wife was expecting our first, one of the supervisors took me aside and told me the story of how he'd given a seminar in Indiana on the day his daughter was born (this was at an academic institution).
...and hopefully finished with "and that was the worst mistake of my life". But somehow I'm assuming my hope is in vain.

(Although I first read that as India rather than Indiana, which made it sound even worse, but I guess it might as well have been India from the point of view of his wife.)

JoePublic3.14

• Bristles
« Reply #4199 on: January 11, 2022, 07:41:55 AM »

“That’s nice. Sorry, I have an appointment, need to step out”

“That’s nice. Would you be able to proofread some edits to my resumé?”

“I know I looked like I was paying attention, but sorry, I have some work to do.”

“You tell me this under the false assumption that I care”

“I bet there is a non-zero chance you fail a paternity test”