Author Topic: Epic FU money stories  (Read 2795092 times)

JustGettingStarted1980

• Bristles
Re: Epic FU money stories
« Reply #1400 on: January 19, 2017, 11:56:06 AM »
We ALL eat shit sandwiches on a regular basis. This is life in general. We have to make compromises to get what we want out of life.  Your compromise is to stay working to achieve FIRE sooner at your desired spending rate. 

I'm not minimizing your tough meeting at all. What I'm trying to say is, stay focused on your goals and this realization of WHY you tolerating bullshit allows you to "bear down" when you need to on those tough days.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1401 on: January 19, 2017, 12:16:20 PM »
We ALL eat shit sandwiches on a regular basis. This is life in general. We have to make compromises to get what we want out of life.  Your compromise is to stay working to achieve FIRE sooner at your desired spending rate. 

I'm not minimizing your tough meeting at all. What I'm trying to say is, stay focused on your goals and this realization of WHY you tolerating bullshit allows you to "bear down" when you need to on those tough days.

Seconding this, because I'Ve been in that situation. There's a time and place to eat a shit sandwich because it's small and your goal is large and your goal is WORTH IT.

The glory of FU money is that, if you decide that the sandwich is big and your goal is important but not THAT important and fuck this shit sandwich THEY'RE gonna eat it and you're gonna WALK... you have that option. A lot of people don't, and just keep eating bigger and bigger piles of it.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1402 on: January 19, 2017, 12:57:37 PM »
I almost just had one 40 minutes ago, but instead, bit my tongue, left the meeting as if nothing unusual had happened, got in my car and started whimpering like a baby.  I wondered why I was crying and really it's not because I give one shit about any of the people in that meeting.  It's because I wanted to get up and quit but I am not close enough to FIRE to quit.  I have plenty of FU money, but at the rate I'm saving at this job, I could FIRE so much faster by staying here and continuing to eat their shit sandwiches.  So I ate their shit.  Again. 

This is the opposite of an FU money story, but I just had to get it out.

Sorry.  =/

I can't wait for you to come quote this post and tell the story when you DO finally quit.  :D
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1403 on: January 19, 2017, 01:18:44 PM »
I almost just had one 40 minutes ago, but instead, bit my tongue, left the meeting as if nothing unusual had happened, got in my car and started whimpering like a baby.  I wondered why I was crying and really it's not because I give one shit about any of the people in that meeting.  It's because I wanted to get up and quit but I am not close enough to FIRE to quit.  I have plenty of FU money, but at the rate I'm saving at this job, I could FIRE so much faster by staying here and continuing to eat their shit sandwiches.  So I ate their shit.  Again. 

I disagree. This *IS* an FU story in that you know you are only temporarily eating a shit sandwich. You can observe the craziness around you and just laugh to yourself that you won't  have to tolerate this much longer. You have a means to an end.

Think that if you didn't  have FU money you would really hate HAVING to eat shit sanwiches for most of you life.

Let the shit slide like water off a duck's back. You are almost free!

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1404 on: January 19, 2017, 01:25:01 PM »

Do you have a countdown clock?  It helps to see not only how many more days/months/years you have to go, but how many months/years you have already made it through.

Sorry about the shit-eating.  Have been there.

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1405 on: January 19, 2017, 02:47:49 PM »
I disagree. This *IS* an FU story in that you know you are only temporarily eating a shit sandwich. You can observe the craziness around you and just laugh to yourself that you won't  have to tolerate this much longer. You have a means to an end.

Think that if you didn't  have FU money you would really hate HAVING to eat shit sanwiches for most of you life.

This is actually a really good point.

I dislike having to go to work, and a lot of the time I'm actually really disappointed that I have to do it for several more years. But then I think 7 or 8 years is SO much better than 25-30. I honestly don't know how people do it.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1406 on: January 19, 2017, 03:01:08 PM »

This is actually a really good point.

I dislike having to go to work, and a lot of the time I'm actually really disappointed that I have to do it for several more years. But then I think 7 or 8 years is SO much better than 25-30. I honestly don't know how people do it.

Now I'm crying again because all of these comments referencing my crap day just made me feel so much better.   Thank you for the support.  I really needed it today.  What a great community.  Truly!.  Thanks! 

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1407 on: January 19, 2017, 03:46:34 PM »
Hey BlueHouse, I'm late to the party, but I just wanted to also chime in and say you're awesome, you've got this, and you're going to post an extremely satisfying conclusion to this shitty job on the forums pretty soon! :D

hettie1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1408 on: January 19, 2017, 04:16:40 PM »
Awesome posts!  LOVE this thread!  Long time MMM reader, but just getting back to the Forums.

Here's mine: I work a full time job (a tech job for a company that I really like) but have always worked a PT job on the side to increase savings/pay for stuff that comes up that I don't want to use my savings for. I’m a great saver, and have saved a fair stash that makes me feel OK with not having the side income.

My most recent PT gig I maintained for almost 7 years as a PCA-type roll at a group home for 6 elderly folks, all in wheel chairs, most non-verbal.  Well, one of them died a while back and they replaced that individual with a 16-year old, fully mobile kid. This kid was hyper-active, non-verbal, and abusive to the staff and residents (think pulling out their hair, kicking them, pushing over their chairs, etc) who of course they can't protect themselves.  All other staff refused to say anything because this was their primary jobs and they didn't want to catch any heat by complaining (apparently complaints about bad situations in the past had fallen on deaf ears or resulted in transfers/firing the staff).  The company got a SIGNIFICANT amount of money for keeping the kid here because of his high behavior issues and therefore willingly put $$ above safety.

One day the kid tried to strangle me – I took pictures of the bruises on my neck, filed a complaint.  The company offered to provide a self-defense class (seriously!).  I asked them how that would help the residents in wheel chairs who can’t move themselves.  No responses.   A few weeks later I found black eyes on a few of the residents.  Filed another complaint.  The nurse told me (on the hush) that the company was putting together a case to fire me to shut me up.  I gave up trying to follow the correct procedures and filed a case directly with the State and then called in to say I was quitting.  (I think they were relieved that they had "gotten rid" of me so easily).
A few months later, one of the staff who still worked at the house told me that a lady from state had shown up  to follow up on the complaint I filed – the kid tried to attack the state worker who had screamed and run out the front door, lol.  A week after that the company was told by state that they had “x” days to get rid of the kid or their entire company would be shut down. 

In the meantime, a manager of another house that I did like offered me the same PT hours at her place, so I still had my extra income and I got the satisfaction of helping out the poor staff and residents at the original house who were too scared or unable to do anything for themselves.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1409 on: January 19, 2017, 04:29:39 PM »
Holy shit, Hettie.  That is some serious and sad stuff. Glad you were there to do the right thing.

Mother Fussbudget

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1410 on: January 19, 2017, 04:45:03 PM »
Holy shit, Hettie.  That is some serious and sad stuff. Glad you were there to do the right thing.
Indeed.  Thanks for doing the right thing, Hettie!

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1411 on: January 19, 2017, 05:40:19 PM »

Epic!  Good on you for doing the right thing.  Behold the power for FU Money.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1412 on: January 19, 2017, 05:42:15 PM »
Yay Hettie!  You may never know what harm you saved some of those people who couldn't protect themselves, but thank you for doing that.  Way to go putting yourself in a position where you could, and then doing it!  :D
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1413 on: January 19, 2017, 05:47:50 PM »
It's great when FU money saves you, but so much better when it saves someone else!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1414 on: January 19, 2017, 06:40:54 PM »
Yeah Hettie!!!!

hettie1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1415 on: January 19, 2017, 07:47:30 PM »
Hettie, I have been looking at assisted living facilities for my mom recently.   Your story is one of the reasons we chose that route, rather than adult family homes.  My state regulates things fairly well, but if none of the patients or caregivers can speak for themselves, it is scary how things can spin out of control.  On behalf of the medically vulnerable and their family and friends, thank you for taking a stand.

Good choice!  Having worked in several home situations over the last decades I HIGHLY recommend one-on-one care or an actual assisted living home.  Group homes have some great staff, but they can go wrong quickly and its so sad.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1416 on: January 19, 2017, 09:04:57 PM »
Holy effing hell, Hettie.  I am glad there are people like you in this world.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1417 on: January 19, 2017, 09:35:00 PM »
Holy effing hell, Hettie.  I am glad there are people like you in this world.
Amen to that!

Also, hugs to you, BlueHouse. I have soooo been there, done that. I am four years post-FIRE and every damn shit sandwich was worth it. I now have no memory of how bad they tasted way back when. Yours is definitely a FU story, because your stash keeps you from ever having to eat another one. You have a choice, and you will prevail in the end. You've got this.

jlajr

• Stubble
« Reply #1418 on: January 19, 2017, 10:12:44 PM »
It's great when FU money saves you, but so much better when it saves someone else!

+1 to that, G-dog!

Also, before seeing BlueHouse's post and the comments to it, the thought occurred to me that having at least some FU money kind of forces us to think: When are the shit sandwiches are too big that it becomes worth taking action that could lead to using that FU money before complete FIRE?

Without FU money, we might be able to simply accept that we have to eat the shit sandwiches being served to us in our current situations, unless or until someone offers to serve us something else that might look nice now but could turn into more shit sandwiches.

Is this is a case of "With great power, comes great responsibility" or could it be "Mo' money, mo' problems"? :)

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #1419 on: January 20, 2017, 12:37:43 AM »

Right?

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1420 on: January 20, 2017, 10:35:23 AM »
YES

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #1421 on: January 20, 2017, 05:38:08 PM »
+1

SEAKSR

• Stubble
  • Great day for water landings!
« Reply #1422 on: January 23, 2017, 03:36:29 PM »
P2F...

No epic stories here... I've largely gotten lucky, and just found other employment when the going was looking potentially rough. But each and every one of your stories helps me remember why I maintain my funds, just in case. Thanks everyone!

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1423 on: February 01, 2017, 07:50:56 AM »
Bluehouse, hang in there. In my previous job (some years ago, before I learned the ways of the mustache), my wife happened to download mint right about the time things started getting really horrible. I was shocked when she showed me that our net worth was $400,000. I couldn't imagine that kind of money at the time, it seemed so far removed from any reality. It's not enough for us to retire, but I realized how silly I was worrying about one job when we had accumulated that kind of stash seemingly by accident.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1424 on: February 01, 2017, 11:26:27 AM »
Bluehouse, hang in there. In my previous job (some years ago, before I learned the ways of the mustache), my wife happened to download mint right about the time things started getting really horrible. I was shocked when she showed me that our net worth was $400,000. I couldn't imagine that kind of money at the time, it seemed so far removed from any reality. It's not enough for us to retire, but I realized how silly I was worrying about one job when we had accumulated that kind of stash seemingly by accident.
And that kind of peace of mind is priceless.

privateer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1425 on: February 05, 2017, 12:10:41 AM »
after spending some time reading through this thread I think I should toss a few in:

1) The first time I realized the power of being flexible and financially secure was about a year after starting my first real engineering gig at company "A"... I had a bachelors degree at the time and was on hiatus from an integrated masters program that I had to finish within 2 years of finishing my bachelors (basically you tag on a year of graduate classes to the end of an intense bachelors for a masters degree).  I went to my manager and asked if I could have a leave of absence approved to go back to school.  My manager at the time (a nice guy actually, but under pressure to get products shipped) thought it would be very unlikely that I could get one approved and discouraged it.... until of course about 2 minutes later when he did a 180 when I suggested that if it wasn't possible I'd need to get the paperwork together for quitting because I had to go back to finish my masters.   educational leave approved :)

2) years later at the same company "A" I had drifted away from my specialty and wanted to get back into it. I found a sweet gig internally in the research division that was interesting, prestigious, and likely to pay a little better to boot.  The hiring manager gave me the thumbs up, however my existing management chain wouldn't approve my transfer saying I was critical and they needed me to stay on 9 more months to finish current projects (of course no promotion or salary bump for said critical engineer :) ). 

Knowing that sweet research gig would be filled in a month or two I started looking around outside and soon found a nice job at a competitor for a 25% salary bump. My old management tried to counter, but I never gave them a number and their counter offer came in under what the competitor was offering so no deal (which also helped avoid the awkwardness of still working there after threatening to leave).

So off I went to company "B" after 2 weeks notice ! I half expected to be frog marched out the door when I gave notice, but it didn't happen... In fact I still remember one of the project managers asking me to write engineering change orders on my very last day, and eventually having to excuse myself to go to my goodbye party :)

on to FU money tale number 3:
After working at company "B"  for about 10 years I got caught up in a layoff.  My boss several years earlier tried to do something good for me that turned out quite bad.  He gave me a 15% raise one year, but to equal things out, gave me a low amount of stock... no worries, I was fat dumb and happy until 2 years later they needed to layoff 15% of the company, and because they hadn't handed out  bad annual reviews to 15% of the staff, they went back and decided that anyone who had low stock awards in the last few years were underperformers and needed to go. 

Getting the notice was a shock, but at least they gave me 30 days to find a different position internally. Luckily my specialty is in demand and I'm not a total jerk to work with so in the course of 2-3 weeks I had 6 different managers interested in hiring me (but only 2-3 actually had open positions given the tight head count due to the layoff). I also looked around externally, but at the time wasn't interested in moving for family reasons. I eventually ended up taking a job in one of those other divisions in company "B".

fast forward 3 months and my old manager lands a huge secret project in my specialty and needs to staff up significantly. not only that, but said huge project for company "C" is to replace a product that was built at company "A" (where I previously worked). because I understood how things worked at these two different companies I could translate the specs written for Company "A" into the design methodologies of company "B".  I got informally lent to this project and started working on it for about a month when my old manager started asking about transfering me back...

Meanwhile, some of my earlier inquiries made in the heat of potentially being layed off at another company "D" started to circulate internally (my specialty is a relatively small world).  A different manager at company "D" heard I was looking and offered me a gig that would let me work from home. After interviewing with them I negotiated an offer with about a 30%  compensation boost.

so, I called a meeting with my old boss (the one who had to lay me off 3 months earlier) to talk about transfering back to formally start helping out with the secret project. In the room I lay out the fact that I have an offer, and am planning on leaving company "B" unless he can bump me a grade level and match the 30% raise in the external offer.  He promises to work with HR to see what they can do before my offer expires.  Eventually HR drags it out to the last possible second and then comes up with something underwhelming (no grade change and only 15% raise).  So off I go.

Funny enough I don't really harbor any ill will to my old manager (he was really just a technical guy trying to do a managers job at a company that had severe HR and organizational shortcomings).  That said, I'd be lying if I didn't say I felt a sense of Shadenfreude over the whole turn of events.

Cork

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1426 on: February 05, 2017, 09:23:39 PM »
after spending some time reading through this thread I think I should toss a few in:

1) The first time I realized the power of being flexible and financially secure was about a year after starting my first real engineering gig at company "A"... I had a bachelors degree at the time and was on hiatus from an integrated masters program that I had to finish within 2 years of finishing my bachelors (basically you tag on a year of graduate classes to the end of an intense bachelors for a masters degree).  I went to my manager and asked if I could have a leave of absence approved to go back to school.  My manager at the time (a nice guy actually, but under pressure to get products shipped) thought it would be very unlikely that I could get one approved and discouraged it.... until of course about 2 minutes later when he did a 180 when I suggested that if it wasn't possible I'd need to get the paperwork together for quitting because I had to go back to finish my masters.   educational leave approved :)

This ones my favorite, so I summarized it for you:

Manager: "I have control over your future."   
You: "No you don't." 
Manager: "Dammit, please still work for us."

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1427 on: February 06, 2017, 11:08:11 AM »

also least confusing

Guesl982374

• Bristles
« Reply #1428 on: February 06, 2017, 01:23:32 PM »

Funny how that works. I love it.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1429 on: February 06, 2017, 04:05:16 PM »
Posting to follow.

These stories are great motivation to stay at work and build up some FU money.

privateer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1430 on: February 06, 2017, 08:34:13 PM »

also least confusing

sorry for the rambling nature.... the 3rd is actually my personal favorite. it summarizes to:

manager: you're laid off but eligible for rehire
(I find someplace else in the company)
(3 months later I start informally helping old manager)
Manager: can you move back to help us officially??
me: only if you match this external offer of a big raise that I got because I was threatened with a layoff a few months ago.
HR: ummmm??
me: bye!

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1431 on: February 06, 2017, 08:37:21 PM »

Nice. Would even fit in a Dilbert panel.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 11:26:23 PM by Metric Mouse »

givemesunshine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1432 on: February 06, 2017, 09:11:39 PM »
Mine's fairly tame but reading this forum and particularly this thread over the last few months helped me calmly and fearlessly negotiate my recent position change.

I have been employed in my company for ~10 years, underpaid significantly for at least 6 of them due to restrictive 'levels' and 'ceilings'. A number of employees including myself changed to different type of contract which was less secure but had more flexibility for salary negotiations about 3 years ago. I was finally paid a fair salary, at least initially. Recently my responsibilities and the scope of my role have increased significantly and I was doing a lot more work that other co-workers at a similar salary level.

End of contract was 31 December and I received my offer late November. I was offered about $5K more which only put me on a par with the long-termers at my previous level of responsibility and didn't reflect the extra work I had been doing nor the work they were expecting me to take on from January 2017 after a structure change. I refused to sign. Cue lots of flapping about from HR and my manager trying to scare me into signing by saying things like; 'if you want your salary to reflect the next level up your position will have to be re-advertised and you might not get it' and 'your position is not indispensible you know'.

Because I knew I could live for at least two years on savings, plus I knew that my skills and expertise are actually hard to replace due to the systems and processes we use at work, I stood firm. Polite but immoveable. I won't sign for less than the next level up. And I want my salary reviewed in two years, not four. And I want a title change (didn't actually care about that but I thought I may as well ask for everything).

Lots of sighing and frowning and 'I'll see what I can do for you but don't hold your breath' type comments ensued and I quietly went about my business. I returned the following week to a freshly printed contract, increased salary, better benefits and a new title! All because I wasn't afraid to walk away. And also largely because to train someone up would take literally years and make the bosses lives much harder in the interim.

Thank the universe for FU money and lazy employers.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1433 on: February 06, 2017, 10:23:26 PM »
Mine's fairly tame but reading this forum and particularly this thread over the last few months helped me calmly and fearlessly negotiate my recent position change.

I have been employed in my company for ~10 years, underpaid significantly for at least 6 of them due to restrictive 'levels' and 'ceilings'. A number of employees including myself changed to different type of contract which was less secure but had more flexibility for salary negotiations about 3 years ago. I was finally paid a fair salary, at least initially. Recently my responsibilities and the scope of my role have increased significantly and I was doing a lot more work that other co-workers at a similar salary level.

End of contract was 31 December and I received my offer late November. I was offered about $5K more which only put me on a par with the long-termers at my previous level of responsibility and didn't reflect the extra work I had been doing nor the work they were expecting me to take on from January 2017 after a structure change. I refused to sign. Cue lots of flapping about from HR and my manager trying to scare me into signing by saying things like; 'if you want your salary to reflect the next level up your position will have to be re-advertised and you might not get it' and 'your position is not indispensible you know'.

Because I knew I could live for at least two years on savings, plus I knew that my skills and expertise are actually hard to replace due to the systems and processes we use at work, I stood firm. Polite but immoveable. I won't sign for less than the next level up. And I want my salary reviewed in two years, not four. And I want a title change (didn't actually care about that but I thought I may as well ask for everything).

Lots of sighing and frowning and 'I'll see what I can do for you but don't hold your breath' type comments ensued and I quietly went about my business. I returned the following week to a freshly printed contract, increased salary, better benefits and a new title! All because I wasn't afraid to walk away. And also largely because to train someone up would take literally years and make the bosses lives much harder in the interim.

Don't forget to thank yourself there, zinny1. Wouldn't have happened without your past self making good decisions.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1434 on: February 06, 2017, 10:31:01 PM »

yay this is an awesome story. well done and congratulations on your payrise / title change

mikefixac

• Bristles
    • Uncommonly Brilliant
« Reply #1435 on: February 07, 2017, 06:10:45 PM »
What the hell, this thread's been around awhile, I'll add my $.02. (If I haven't already).

I've had my own business (appliance repair) since 1989. Always did OK, but never set the world on fire. In fact, for me, doing just ok was setting the world on fire. I was totally responsible for how I survived, and I liked that.

A few years ago business dropped and I sought and got a job. All the years of working for myself I envied those who were part of a team. I had a good boss, good pay, good relations with the other employees, and new vehicle. Problem though is I just don't work well as an employee. So after just a few weeks, I drove truck over to bosses house, gave the vehicle and tools back, and quit.

Leaving his house I was jumping up and down clicking my heels I was so happy. 

Evgenia

• Stubble
    • Evgenia Got FI
« Reply #1436 on: February 07, 2017, 06:39:30 PM »
I have one.

Context: I was an engineering director down in Silicon Valley. All engineering programs reported in to me. I was in very good standing, got promotions every 6-12 months, year after year, more responsibility, yada yada all that. But, I'd hit the glass ceiling, having been told there was nowhere for me to go. Coincidentally, I was the only female director in the entire, vast place.

My MIL had died after a grueling bout with cancer, hospice, that whole shitty, undeserved kind of end. My husband was unemployed, as he'd quit his job (also in engineering) to take care of his mother in another part of the state (as others have pointed out, another key thing that FU money enables you to do).

It was a busy Software Season at my job, so we cut our annual (and, as you can probably gather, desperately needed) vacation with friends short, returning home on Thursday instead of Sunday.

Lesson #1: Everything bad happens when you go on vacation.

Lesson #2: Never, ever, EVER cut your vacation short. Ever.

I returned to work on Friday and, by 10 AM, was in a meeting with my (guilty, semi freaked out looking) boss explaining that, in the few days I'd been gone, some man had been interviewed and hired to take a brand new VP level position over me, *and* take over my team.

But it gets better... wait for it... My boss said he "hoped I'd stay on" and "could still be the new guy's assistant."

I said "I am no one's assistant. I'm leaving." And then I walked right out of the room and over to my desk, where I realized I probably should have asked my husband about this first, seeing as how we now had no income, him not having a job at the time and all. I texted him and said "Got a sec? Think I just quit my job." He called me and the very first words out of his mouth were, "Want me to come and help pack up your desk? Nothing would give me greater satisfaction than seeing you walk the fuck out of that place."

And that, ladies, is the moment you KNOW you married the perfect man. Unconditional support, he didn't even need to know why, and income, we could figure that out.

The details that emerged in the hours after my boss's announcement were priceless, and even more damning. It turned out my boss's boss had not even interviewed and was totally clueless about this hire (who would report to him), and instantly started fighting it like mad. Someone leaked the results of the new guy's interview and found the majority of people had recommended "No hire" and done so STRONGLY. On, and on. Unmitigated disaster, and nice to watch from afar, happily ensconced in my FU fund.

Sydneystache

• Bristles
  • Aiming for RE!
« Reply #1437 on: February 07, 2017, 06:42:52 PM »
Awesome! Well done - wow. I agree, never cut your holiday short for some mess that happened while you're away and good on your hubby for supporting you no qs asked.

Very sneaky of your company too. What happened to the hire? Did he last long? Did the company contact you again to come back?

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1438 on: February 07, 2017, 06:58:11 PM »
Evgenia, we need to know what happened next!

Evgenia

• Stubble
    • Evgenia Got FI
« Reply #1439 on: February 07, 2017, 07:11:22 PM »
You guys make me laugh! The hire was allowed to come in on contract, as a contract-to-hire. It was an abysmal failure and, after a few months of his saying things to employees like "I've never met a black person before!" (really) and always asking women on the campus if they were married, he was not hired permanently.

I stayed gone and had a much nicer job (with signing bonus, and lots of other bonuses, and $30k additional salary) in days, from a former colleague who'd moved on a year or so previously.

And I did that until we went FIRE not quite two years ago! :-) THE END. :-)

Hvillian

• Stubble
« Reply #1440 on: February 07, 2017, 07:18:01 PM »
Awesome Evegenia, every part (except how you were treated).  Thank you for sharing.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #1441 on: February 07, 2017, 08:00:12 PM »
Evegenia, the power of FU money and a Spouse who has your back is mighty powerful.

Thanks for sharing

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1442 on: February 07, 2017, 08:01:40 PM »
You guys make me laugh! The hire was allowed to come in on contract, as a contract-to-hire. It was an abysmal failure and, after a few months of his saying things to employees like "I've never met a black person before!" (really) and always asking women on the campus if they were married, he was not hired permanently.

I stayed gone and had a much nicer job (with signing bonus, and lots of other bonuses, and $30k additional salary) in days, from a former colleague who'd moved on a year or so previously.

Great story. (For you)

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1443 on: February 07, 2017, 08:04:22 PM »

You are officially awesome - glad you got the last laugh!

snapperdude

• Stubble
« Reply #1444 on: February 07, 2017, 09:56:42 PM »
I love you, Evgenia!

I had the whole "hire a man in over your head and expect you to do all his work for him" thing pulled on me twice.   The first time, I finished up some projects that were personally important to me, and then quit.  The second time, I kept working for a few months to bump up the savings until my return to the US, and then FIREd.    I still kind of wish I had walked out immediately both times, though.   It sucks when companies pull that glass ceiling shit....

Sucks when countries do too.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 01:58:32 AM by snapperdude »

Evgenia

• Stubble
    • Evgenia Got FI
« Reply #1445 on: February 07, 2017, 09:58:59 PM »
I love you, Evgenia!

I had the whole "hire a man in over your head and expect you to do all his work for him" thing pulled on me twice.   The first time, I finished up some projects that were personally important to me, and then quit.  The second time, I kept working for a few months to bump up the savings until my return to the US, and then FIREd.    I still kind of wish I had walked out immediately both times, though.   It sucks when companies pull that glass ceiling shit....

Love you too! I have to say, awesome as it sounds, I only knew to walk *because* it had happened to me before. I did not, regretfully, walk the first time it happened.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1446 on: February 07, 2017, 11:38:46 PM »

Revenge is so, so sweet :D

PaulMaxime

• Bristles
  • Absolute power doesn't corrupt, it reveals.
« Reply #1447 on: February 08, 2017, 12:07:38 AM »
My story is this:

I worked at a large Internet company from 2007-2015. During the last 3 years at that company I found my way on to a special project that was run as an "internal startup" Now in Sept of 2015 our group spun off to an independent company.

Most of the other engineers were too scared to make the move. The large company is very stable and pays well and has great benefits. From a team of 80 we ended up with 37 people (only 6 engineers!)

I was able to take the risk and join the spinoff because I am 99% FI at this point. Our little company has become hugely successful in one year and now I'm looking to make real $$$ off of the very large equity grant I got as part of joining the new company.

FU Money == freedom to take risks.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1448 on: February 08, 2017, 12:18:08 AM »
My story is this:

I worked at a large Internet company from 2007-2015. During the last 3 years at that company I found my way on to a special project that was run as an "internal startup" Now in Sept of 2015 our group spun off to an independent company.

Most of the other engineers were too scared to make the move. The large company is very stable and pays well and has great benefits. From a team of 80 we ended up with 37 people (only 6 engineers!)

I was able to take the risk and join the spinoff because I am 99% FI at this point. Our little company has become hugely successful in one year and now I'm looking to make real $$$ off of the very large equity grant I got as part of joining the new company.

FU Money == freedom to take risks.

This is exciting! So you 'looted' 37 people from a team of 80? That's quite impressive

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1449 on: February 08, 2017, 12:57:51 AM »
I love you, Evgenia!

Love you too! I have to say, awesome as it sounds, I only knew to walk *because* it had happened to me before. I did not, regretfully, walk the first time it happened.
Ah, but you learned and you were prepared when it happened again. I love you at least as much as lhamo does, maybe even a tiny bit more.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!