Author Topic: Epic FU money stories  (Read 616226 times)

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Epic FU money stories
« Reply #1400 on: December 26, 2016, 05:51:50 PM »
Mine isn't all that epic, but I still like it.

I was at my most financially destitute; I had just under three years of college left, and after paying tuition I just had enough for rent and $12/week of groceries.

We got a new boss at work who liked to yell at and demoralize people. It made what had been a fun college job a nightmare, but I depended on the paycheck and the health insurance. At one point, I got transferred to the food section. On my first day as "manager" there (I hadn't had any training yet), we sold out of most of the food before closing. The boss came by and screamed at me for not ordering enough food (how could I have ordered the food the day before it was my job to do so?). She continued screaming in my face until I cried, and then she yelled at me for crying.

I went to school the next day and asked one of my professors if I could get a job tutoring. He hired me on the spot. I went by the student health center and got health insurance, then I went to work that afternoon and quit. My boss's response, "You aren't even going to give me the courtesy of two weeks' notice?" I said no and held my tongue instead of saying exactly why I was quitting.

My tutoring gig didn't pay much, but it gave me incredible experience and connections that directly led to the career I love now. I also was randomly offered a second job at just the right time. I was a janitor in a theater, but it meant I could see all the musicals I wanted for free, and since a lot of my responsibilities included laundry and my boss couldn't think of anything else for me to do during that time since the bathrooms were already clean and I couldn't clean the house until the audience left, I had built in study time.

At the time I quit, I knew there was a real possibility that I'd be living in my car and using the campus gym for showers, and that was such a better option than dealing with my evil boss one more day, that it didn't scare me. That fleeting fearlessness led to some of the best experiences of my life.

Mezzie, that is seriously Epic! To leave without a stache to carry you over is so brave...

I agree, it is definitely epic.

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1401 on: December 26, 2016, 09:05:12 PM »
+3. Epic, indeed!
I did it! I have a journal!
A Lot Like This
And hell yes, I am still moving confidently in the direction of my dreams...

Laura33

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1402 on: January 09, 2017, 07:24:06 PM »
Ok, not remotely epic, but gotta keep this thread live, because it entertained me my entire Christmas break.  My story happened in the tech crash, before I felt like I really had FU money.  But we had dual incomes and low expenses relative to our salaries.

DH took an insecure job to move near me when we married; it was sad but not a huge shock when that company went under.  His company offered to transfer him out west, and I found a job with a company there (I'm a lawyer - 30%+ paycut sucked, but jobs were scarce and I was glad to find one).  Alas, the job was pure hell.  The big boss was a fan of the "swoop and poop" management style -- she'd swoop in, yell at you that any idiot would know to do ABC, disappear for a month, then swoop back in for a status check and yell at you for doing ABC, because any idiot would know to do XYZ.  Management knew they were losing good people, but the CEO refused to fire her because he trusted her.

It all came to a head when I had a miscarriage and subsequent D&C and missed a week.  During that week, one of my matters that had been dormant for months suddenly came back to life.  My first day back in the office, she called a meeting of everyone in the department and parceled out all of my work, without ever looking at or saying a word to me (who knew ghosting was a management style in 1999??).  I went back to my office, bawled, pulled myself together, and went back to ask her why she removed me from the project.  She fed me a line about being concerned about my health and not wanting to burden me at a tough time.  Right.  6 months later when I asked for a raise/promotion (the supervisor I had been hired to assist quit two weeks after I arrived, and I had done her job for well over a year), I was turned down, because I had "really fallen down on that project."

Meanwhile, we had built our house, planning to stay there forever.  So I went home, again in tears, and pulled out Quicken and worked the budget until I realized that I could quit and we wouldn't lose the house.  And the weight lifted:  all the crap didn't matter any more, because I didn't NEED that job.  So I started making plans to give my notice. 

Then they announced that the company was being bought, and the severance package was awesome (on the order of 9-10 mos. salary even for me).  So I said, well, hell, I can manage a few more months of this for that kind of cash.  So I hung on for 9 more months.  And damned if the big boss didn't then come meet with me and say "congratulations -- I managed to save your job!"  WTF?  You treat me like shit for 2.5 years, and NOW you start looking out for me?  I quit the next day and went back to telecommuting to my old firm.  Worked well less than half time (had a baby that year), still made 3/4 of what I did at the hell job.

And demonstrating the power of karma:  said evil boss was herself the one who got fired as part of the transition, and the woman who came in and took her place tried very hard to convince me to stay.  I turned her down, politely -- and a few years later we moved back east, and I am now a partner at the same firm I went back to, making probably 4-5x what I made at the hell job.  And the lady I politely turned down is a periodic firm client.

But my DH has my favorite line.  Now, I should say that he is happy in his current job and has zero intention of quitting (maybe ever).  But one day, about 2-3 years after he started, his boss was giving him a hard time about not having any decorations or personal stuff in his office.  And his buddy spoke up and said "his wife's a partner in a law firm, he can be gone in an hour if he gets too pissed off."  And DH just smiled and said, "I may need A job, but I don't need THIS job."  Needless to say, he has felt free to take time off as needed for kid duty (as have I).  Makes two full-time jobs and two kids much more livable on a daily basis.

FU money is awesome.  And cash in the bank isn't the only way to get it -- while you're still building the 'stache, a happily-employed spouse + living on one income goes a long, long way.
Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1403 on: January 10, 2017, 05:58:30 AM »
Ok, not remotely epic, but gotta keep this thread live, because it entertained me my entire Christmas break.  My story happened in the tech crash, before I felt like I really had FU money.  But we had dual incomes and low expenses relative to our salaries.

DH took an insecure job to move near me when we married; it was sad but not a huge shock when that company went under.  His company offered to transfer him out west, and I found a job with a company there (I'm a lawyer - 30%+ paycut sucked, but jobs were scarce and I was glad to find one).  Alas, the job was pure hell.  The big boss was a fan of the "swoop and poop" management style -- she'd swoop in, yell at you that any idiot would know to do ABC, disappear for a month, then swoop back in for a status check and yell at you for doing ABC, because any idiot would know to do XYZ.  Management knew they were losing good people, but the CEO refused to fire her because he trusted her.

It all came to a head when I had a miscarriage and subsequent D&C and missed a week.  During that week, one of my matters that had been dormant for months suddenly came back to life.  My first day back in the office, she called a meeting of everyone in the department and parceled out all of my work, without ever looking at or saying a word to me (who knew ghosting was a management style in 1999??).  I went back to my office, bawled, pulled myself together, and went back to ask her why she removed me from the project.  She fed me a line about being concerned about my health and not wanting to burden me at a tough time.  Right.  6 months later when I asked for a raise/promotion (the supervisor I had been hired to assist quit two weeks after I arrived, and I had done her job for well over a year), I was turned down, because I had "really fallen down on that project."

Meanwhile, we had built our house, planning to stay there forever.  So I went home, again in tears, and pulled out Quicken and worked the budget until I realized that I could quit and we wouldn't lose the house.  And the weight lifted:  all the crap didn't matter any more, because I didn't NEED that job.  So I started making plans to give my notice. 

Then they announced that the company was being bought, and the severance package was awesome (on the order of 9-10 mos. salary even for me).  So I said, well, hell, I can manage a few more months of this for that kind of cash.  So I hung on for 9 more months.  And damned if the big boss didn't then come meet with me and say "congratulations -- I managed to save your job!"  WTF?  You treat me like shit for 2.5 years, and NOW you start looking out for me?  I quit the next day and went back to telecommuting to my old firm.  Worked well less than half time (had a baby that year), still made 3/4 of what I did at the hell job.

And demonstrating the power of karma:  said evil boss was herself the one who got fired as part of the transition, and the woman who came in and took her place tried very hard to convince me to stay.  I turned her down, politely -- and a few years later we moved back east, and I am now a partner at the same firm I went back to, making probably 4-5x what I made at the hell job.  And the lady I politely turned down is a periodic firm client.

But my DH has my favorite line.  Now, I should say that he is happy in his current job and has zero intention of quitting (maybe ever).  But one day, about 2-3 years after he started, his boss was giving him a hard time about not having any decorations or personal stuff in his office.  And his buddy spoke up and said "his wife's a partner in a law firm, he can be gone in an hour if he gets too pissed off."  And DH just smiled and said, "I may need A job, but I don't need THIS job."  Needless to say, he has felt free to take time off as needed for kid duty (as have I).  Makes two full-time jobs and two kids much more livable on a daily basis.

FU money is awesome.  And cash in the bank isn't the only way to get it -- while you're still building the 'stache, a happily-employed spouse + living on one income goes a long, long way.
Sounds VERY epic to me. Thank you for sharing.

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1404 on: January 10, 2017, 06:08:01 AM »
Heard a very different definition of FU money yesterday.

I watched a documentary called sour grapes, which does a good job of following a wine scam ($1,000's per bottle, millions of dollars kind of wine). In it, FU money was described as the chunk of money dedicated to spending on nothing, just for the sake of spending.

I have always considered it the money you are willing to spend(savings) to avoid having to do what others want you to do.

I think she really missed the point. It is not the money, it is the freedom that the money provides.

BTDretire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1405 on: January 10, 2017, 06:10:41 AM »

But my DH has my favorite line.  Now, I should say that he is happy in his current job and has zero intention of quitting (maybe ever).  But one day, about 2-3 years after he started, his boss was giving him a hard time about not having any decorations or personal stuff in his office.  And his buddy spoke up and said "his wife's a partner in a law firm, he can be gone in an hour if he gets too pissed off. "And DH just smiled and said, "I may need A job, but I don't need THIS job." Needless to say, he has felt free to take time off as needed for kid duty (as have I).  Makes two full-time jobs and two kids much more livable on a daily basis.

Love his line, it really shows how FU money gives you power and flexability in your job.

mm1970

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1406 on: January 10, 2017, 09:57:47 AM »

Very very epic.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1407 on: January 10, 2017, 10:09:27 AM »
And DH just smiled and said, "I may need A job, but I don't need THIS job."  Needless to say, he has felt free to take time off as needed for kid duty (as have I).  Makes two full-time jobs and two kids much more livable on a daily basis.

I've said something similar, without FU money.

If you have a standard of living that can be met on 1(ish) salary, and no debt, even no FU money means that your spouse's job is all the safety net you need (and their safety net is your job - it goes both ways). You (collective) need ONE OF you to have a job. Neither of you need THESE PARTICULAR jobs.

As I found out when my husband found out he was getting laid off during my 8th month of pregnancy. We JUST paid off all debt. We have a paid-off car and a VERY affordable mortgage in a place we love living. Maternity leave payments for me + unemployment for him = still 1K going into savings every month. We're FINE.

Meanwhile, his colleagues were freaking out for him and seemed to think that we were going to starve or lose the house. Like... no. He'll take a few months off with the babies, and then get another job, and we'll be FINE.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #1408 on: January 10, 2017, 11:49:42 AM »
Yay Kitsune clan!

talltexan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1409 on: January 10, 2017, 01:33:07 PM »
My wife works for a major company (you probably have multiple items in your home produced by this company) who have recently announced that they are delaying the timing of their paychecks this march.

Basically, they will be holding all their employees' money for an additional week. I've located some other funds equivalent to one week's pay for my wife and set it aside--ready to go--but I feel for all her co-workers who do not have that kind of flexibility.

homestead neohio

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal - Seeds Sprout
« Reply #1410 on: January 10, 2017, 01:42:03 PM »
My wife works for a major company (you probably have multiple items in your home produced by this company) who have recently announced that they are delaying the timing of their paychecks this march.

Basically, they will be holding all their employees' money for an additional week. I've located some other funds equivalent to one week's pay for my wife and set it aside--ready to go--but I feel for all her co-workers who do not have that kind of flexibility.

This is happening to me and my co-workers right now as a result of an acquisition.  MegaCorp delays payment 1 week, Medium corp did not.  It is RIDICULOUS how much people focus on this!  I guess it really matters to them...  I know many people spend everything they make, but with several weeks of advanced notice you'd think this would not be a hardship, especially when you found out months ago you are getting laid off this year!  Show some spending restraint and have savings, people!  They are not taking the money, just paying it a week later.

To all those people who can say FU (or otherwise push back so they don't get to that point) based on a partner's salary and low expenses, hooray!

SwordGuy

• Magnum Stache
    • Flipping Fayetteville
« Reply #1411 on: January 10, 2017, 03:48:38 PM »
Having FU Money is "A Great Thing" (TM).

Occasionally, however, there's something even more liberating.

It's "FU Time".

I'll give an example.

My dad was in the US Army and stationed in France back in the 1950s.   He was driving in Paris down a long, one-lane alley.  He was about 3 car lengths from the end of the block and the cross street when a Frenchman pulled into the alley going the opposite direction.

The alley was too narrow for them to pass each other, so someone was going to have to back up and let the other person continue on their way.  My dad, having traveled nearly the entire block, thought the other guy should back up one entire car length.  The other fellow felt my dad should back up the entire length of the block.

The both sat in the respective cars gesturing to the other person to back up.  After doing this several times, the Frenchman got out of his vehicle and stood next to the driver's door, gesturing even more strongly that my dad should back up.  My dad shook his head "No" and repeated his gestures to the other fellow to back up.

This was apparently unacceptable, so the Frenchman came over beside my dad's car door and repeated his gesture.

My dad politely gestured to wait just one moment and got out of his car and locked it.  He then sat down at the corner caf and firmly stated, "Garcon, vin rouge!"    (Waiter, a glass of red wine!)

With that my dad clearly communicated that he had all F'n day to sit there and enjoy the day.

The Frenchman got in his car, backed up, and found another route to his destination.

FU Time.

We had an absolute master of FU Time in the USA some decades ago.  His name was Saul Alinsky and he was a community organizer for poor folks.   He realized that the three biggest resources the poor unemployed had were (1) their numbers, (2) they were bored and thus cheaply amused, and (3) they had ALL DAY to cause issues for the rich and complacent.

That's why, even to this day, decades after he died, the right wing spreads lies about him.   He scared them that bad.

appleblossom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1412 on: January 11, 2017, 12:48:48 AM »
Heard a very different definition of FU money yesterday.

I watched a documentary called sour grapes, which does a good job of following a wine scam ($1,000's per bottle, millions of dollars kind of wine). In it, FU money was described as the chunk of money dedicated to spending on nothing, just for the sake of spending.

I have always considered it the money you are willing to spend(savings) to avoid having to do what others want you to do.

I think she really missed the point. It is not the money, it is the freedom that the money provides.

I noticed the same thing. Good film though.

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1413 on: January 11, 2017, 01:13:40 AM »

This is happening to me and my co-workers right now as a result of an acquisition.  MegaCorp delays payment 1 week, Medium corp did not.  It is RIDICULOUS how much people focus on this!  I guess it really matters to them...  I know many people spend everything they make, but with several weeks of advanced notice you'd think this would not be a hardship, especially when you found out months ago you are getting laid off this year!  Show some spending restraint and have savings, people!  They are not taking the money, just paying it a week later.
Hmmm, i agree with your perspective, homestead neohio. I was kind of puzzled by TT's need to "locate other funds" to cover a one week pay gap.
A Lot Like This

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1414 on: January 11, 2017, 07:02:25 AM »

Hmmm, i agree with your perspective, homestead neohio. I was kind of puzzled by TT's need to "locate other funds" to cover a one week pay gap.

Enh. I don't keep a paycheck's worth of buffer in my checking account, and I have automatic payments (mortgage, life insurance) that come out of it, so I'd have to 'locate other funds' out of either my savings account, or an investment account, to cover the payments due to come out.

It's not that we don't HAVE the money, it's that the money is in a different spot.

Laura33

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1415 on: January 11, 2017, 07:20:25 AM »

As I found out when my husband found out he was getting laid off during my 8th month of pregnancy.

You too?  That's exactly what happened to us.  I was not nearly as calm about it as you, especially since it had nothing to do with the company's performance (some post-merger tax writeoff thing, followed shortly by the announcement that the company had met financial targets so the CEO got something like $900M in options).  Still angry about that one. . . .

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1416 on: January 11, 2017, 09:02:48 AM »

Enh. I don't keep a paycheck's worth of buffer in my checking account, and I have automatic payments (mortgage, life insurance) that come out of it, so I'd have to 'locate other funds' out of either my savings account, or an investment account, to cover the payments due to come out.

It's not that we don't HAVE the money, it's that the money is in a different spot.

Same. I'd actually probably just ask my dad for a loan for a week or two--only because it would be a lot easier than transferring the money from one place to another, and then back to said place.

Either that or float more things on a credit card.

SweetRedWine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1417 on: January 11, 2017, 10:58:52 AM »
These stories are so great and inspiring.  Thank you to all for helping me get through a stressful workday.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #1418 on: January 13, 2017, 06:15:11 PM »

You see, the way that my bank account is set up...

--- Kevin Hart routine.

Give me one fine day of plain sailing weather and I can mess up anything.

MustacheMathTM

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1419 on: January 14, 2017, 02:19:07 PM »

You see, the way that my bank account is set up...

--- Kevin Hart routine.

Love it!

EricL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1420 on: January 17, 2017, 09:45:38 PM »
No stories.  Just following.
Gentleman of Leisure

everinprogress

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1421 on: January 17, 2017, 09:55:08 PM »

To all those people who can say FU (or otherwise push back so they don't get to that point) based on a partner's salary and low expenses, hooray!

This sort of happened at my work last year, except they let everyone know 6-9 MONTHS in advance. Basically many sites were all on different pay schedules, and they were streamlining everything to be on the same schedule to make payroll's job easier. And provided multiple presentations, emails, and handouts outlining how the transition would work. Also provided forms to let people arrange in advance to have overtime or vacation hours paid out so that the one cheque wouldn't look smaller than what they were used to, due to having 6 shifts in it instead of 10 or whatever (voluntary). And they arranged to have it be the 3rd paycheque in one of the 2 '3 paycheque' months of the year (payed biweekly). And they arranged a payroll advance for people to sign up for if they needed that could be payed back over time. I literally can't think of anything else they could have done to make it easier on people...but...
there was still sooo much whining, a rather large number of people convinced they weren't going to be paid for some shifts, people convince that this was completely unfair and impossible.
It was a relief to have some time off during the transition, just so I didn't have to hear about it so much

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1422 on: January 18, 2017, 12:07:37 PM »

This sort of happened at my work last year, except they let everyone know 6-9 MONTHS in advance. Basically many sites were all on different pay schedules, and they were streamlining everything to be on the same schedule to make payroll's job easier. And provided multiple presentations, emails, and handouts outlining how the transition would work. Also provided forms to let people arrange in advance to have overtime or vacation hours paid out so that the one cheque wouldn't look smaller than what they were used to, due to having 6 shifts in it instead of 10 or whatever (voluntary). And they arranged to have it be the 3rd paycheque in one of the 2 '3 paycheque' months of the year (payed biweekly). And they arranged a payroll advance for people to sign up for if they needed that could be payed back over time. I literally can't think of anything else they could have done to make it easier on people...but...
there was still sooo much whining, a rather large number of people convinced they weren't going to be paid for some shifts, people convince that this was completely unfair and impossible.
It was a relief to have some time off during the transition, just so I didn't have to hear about it so much
To be fair I would complain. When my company went from monthly to biweekly they wanted to start the new system with a 2 week grace period, which means that work I do is delayed payment for 2 weeks. It was explained that over the course of our career it would balance since our last cheque would come out 2 weeks after we left and it would be the same. In the short term I would have less money to invest that year, effectively I would lose out on $50/year for every year I worked here. 

Its a tried and true MegaCorp windfall, delay pay for a week and gain access to a million dollars ($1000/employee and 1000 employees) that technically should be put aside but can earn interest at 5%. When dealing with invoices its standard practice of Megacorps to pay late, they gain interest off several million dollars that way, its a simple trick that can pay an accountants salary.

If you don't mind losing a few dollars to your company that's your business. Its shady to earn a few dollars off your employees though, I don't like being taken advantage of even when its small amounts.

My company reversed the decision when confronted with the math. They were hoping to slide it past without anyone noticing. They were surprised anyone would care about losing $50/year, to which the rebuttal was "if its insignificant then why do it? Why keep money if you don't need to?"

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1423 on: January 18, 2017, 02:14:22 PM »
Its a tried and true MegaCorp windfall, delay pay for a week and gain access to a million dollars ($1000/employee and 1000 employees) that technically should be put aside but can earn interest at 5%. When dealing with invoices its standard practice of Megacorps to pay late, they gain interest off several million dollars that way, its a simple trick that can pay an accountants salary.

Actually, the invoices one is frequently related to a company not having their act together to pay on time/early. Which hurts them, because many invoices have a early pay discount - 2/15/net 30 for example. If you pay within 15 days, you get a 2% discount, or it's due within 30 days but no discount. Depending on the interest rates, it is very often financially advantageous to get that discount.

NicoleO

• Stubble
« Reply #1424 on: January 18, 2017, 02:27:33 PM »
And DH just smiled and said, "I may need A job, but I don't need THIS job."  Needless to say, he has felt free to take time off as needed for kid duty (as have I).  Makes two full-time jobs and two kids much more livable on a daily basis.

If you have a standard of living that can be met on 1(ish) salary, and no debt, even no FU money means that your spouse's job is all the safety net you need (and their safety net is your job - it goes both ways). You (collective) need ONE OF you to have a job. Neither of you need THESE PARTICULAR jobs.

As I found out when my husband found out he was getting laid off during my 8th month of pregnancy. We JUST paid off all debt. We have a paid-off car and a VERY affordable mortgage in a place we love living. Maternity leave payments for me + unemployment for him = still 1K going into savings every month. We're FINE.

Meanwhile, his colleagues were freaking out for him and seemed to think that we were going to starve or lose the house. Like... no. He'll take a few months off with the babies, and then get another job, and we'll be FINE.

I never considered this an FU story but maybe it is.

My husband quit his job when I was 9 months pregnant to start working in real estate.  I don't remember the exact details but his already messed up schedule was going to be even more messed up, he has some health issues that wasn't working well with his job, plus the plan was always for him to cut back if needed/wanted once kids came around.  We had an emergency fund, I had a higher paying job that provided our benefits, and I had 0 desire to stay at home.  Nobody could believe he would quit his job with a 9 month pregnant wife.  We both got really tired of hear people make a comment of "I can't believe you quit when you are about to have a new baby at home."  He got tired of hearing it because we had FU abilities, I got tired of hearing it because nobody says that shit to a woman that quits when she is 9 months pregnant.

Candace

• Bristles
« Reply #1425 on: January 18, 2017, 02:49:59 PM »

I never considered this an FU story but maybe it is.

My husband quit his job when I was 9 months pregnant to start working in real estate.  I don't remember the exact details but his already messed up schedule was going to be even more messed up, he has some health issues that wasn't working well with his job, plus the plan was always for him to cut back if needed/wanted once kids came around.  We had an emergency fund, I had a higher paying job that provided our benefits, and I had 0 desire to stay at home.  Nobody could believe he would quit his job with a 9 month pregnant wife.  We both got really tired of hear people make a comment of "I can't believe you quit when you are about to have a new baby at home."  He got tired of hearing it because we had FU abilities, I got tired of hearing it because nobody says that shit to a woman that quits when she is 9 months pregnant.

I think this is the definition of an FU story. Epic, even. Hats off to you both.

RyanAtTanagra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1426 on: January 18, 2017, 03:13:02 PM »

If you don't confuse the majority every once in a while, you're not living far enough outside the box :-)  Try not to get annoyed and instead see it as a sign you're on the right track.

BlueHouse

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1427 on: January 19, 2017, 10:53:55 AM »
I almost just had one 40 minutes ago, but instead, bit my tongue, left the meeting as if nothing unusual had happened, got in my car and started whimpering like a baby.  I wondered why I was crying and really it's not because I give one shit about any of the people in that meeting.  It's because I wanted to get up and quit but I am not close enough to FIRE to quit.  I have plenty of FU money, but at the rate I'm saving at this job, I could FIRE so much faster by staying here and continuing to eat their shit sandwiches.  So I ate their shit.  Again. 

This is the opposite of an FU money story, but I just had to get it out. 
Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1428 on: January 19, 2017, 10:58:00 AM »
I almost just had one 40 minutes ago, but instead, bit my tongue, left the meeting as if nothing unusual had happened, got in my car and started whimpering like a baby.  I wondered why I was crying and really it's not because I give one shit about any of the people in that meeting.  It's because I wanted to get up and quit but I am not close enough to FIRE to quit.  I have plenty of FU money, but at the rate I'm saving at this job, I could FIRE so much faster by staying here and continuing to eat their shit sandwiches.  So I ate their shit.  Again. 

An ironic golden handcuff story--ironic in the sense that the ONLY reason you're in them is to get to FIRE faster.

Taran Wanderer

• Bristles
« Reply #1429 on: January 19, 2017, 11:18:00 AM »

I'm sorry you had a bad day.  On the plus side, you have a strategy, and you are sticking to it through your own strength.  So kudos to you for that!
An ironic golden handcuff story--ironic in the sense that the ONLY reason you're in them is to get to FIRE faster.

JustGettingStarted1980

• Bristles
« Reply #1430 on: January 19, 2017, 11:56:06 AM »
We ALL eat shit sandwiches on a regular basis. This is life in general. We have to make compromises to get what we want out of life.  Your compromise is to stay working to achieve FIRE sooner at your desired spending rate. 

I'm not minimizing your tough meeting at all. What I'm trying to say is, stay focused on your goals and this realization of WHY you tolerating bullshit allows you to "bear down" when you need to on those tough days.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1431 on: January 19, 2017, 12:16:20 PM »
We ALL eat shit sandwiches on a regular basis. This is life in general. We have to make compromises to get what we want out of life.  Your compromise is to stay working to achieve FIRE sooner at your desired spending rate. 

I'm not minimizing your tough meeting at all. What I'm trying to say is, stay focused on your goals and this realization of WHY you tolerating bullshit allows you to "bear down" when you need to on those tough days.

Seconding this, because I'Ve been in that situation. There's a time and place to eat a shit sandwich because it's small and your goal is large and your goal is WORTH IT.

The glory of FU money is that, if you decide that the sandwich is big and your goal is important but not THAT important and fuck this shit sandwich THEY'RE gonna eat it and you're gonna WALK... you have that option. A lot of people don't, and just keep eating bigger and bigger piles of it.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1432 on: January 19, 2017, 12:57:37 PM »

Sorry.  =/

I can't wait for you to come quote this post and tell the story when you DO finally quit.  :D
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with a kid.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (occasionally) blog at AdventuringAlong.com.
You can also read my forum "Journal."

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1433 on: January 19, 2017, 01:18:44 PM »

I disagree. This *IS* an FU story in that you know you are only temporarily eating a shit sandwich. You can observe the craziness around you and just laugh to yourself that you won't  have to tolerate this much longer. You have a means to an end.

Think that if you didn't  have FU money you would really hate HAVING to eat shit sanwiches for most of you life.

Let the shit slide like water off a duck's back. You are almost free!

okits

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1434 on: January 19, 2017, 01:25:01 PM »

Do you have a countdown clock?  It helps to see not only how many more days/months/years you have to go, but how many months/years you have already made it through.

Sorry about the shit-eating.  Have been there.

fattest_foot

• Bristles
« Reply #1435 on: January 19, 2017, 02:47:49 PM »
I disagree. This *IS* an FU story in that you know you are only temporarily eating a shit sandwich. You can observe the craziness around you and just laugh to yourself that you won't  have to tolerate this much longer. You have a means to an end.

Think that if you didn't  have FU money you would really hate HAVING to eat shit sanwiches for most of you life.

This is actually a really good point.

I dislike having to go to work, and a lot of the time I'm actually really disappointed that I have to do it for several more years. But then I think 7 or 8 years is SO much better than 25-30. I honestly don't know how people do it.

BlueHouse

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1436 on: January 19, 2017, 03:01:08 PM »

This is actually a really good point.

I dislike having to go to work, and a lot of the time I'm actually really disappointed that I have to do it for several more years. But then I think 7 or 8 years is SO much better than 25-30. I honestly don't know how people do it.

Now I'm crying again because all of these comments referencing my crap day just made me feel so much better.   Thank you for the support.  I really needed it today.  What a great community.  Truly!.  Thanks! 
Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1437 on: January 19, 2017, 03:46:34 PM »
Hey BlueHouse, I'm late to the party, but I just wanted to also chime in and say you're awesome, you've got this, and you're going to post an extremely satisfying conclusion to this shitty job on the forums pretty soon! :D

hettie1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1438 on: January 19, 2017, 04:16:40 PM »
Awesome posts!  LOVE this thread!  Long time MMM reader, but just getting back to the Forums.

Here's mine: I work a full time job (a tech job for a company that I really like) but have always worked a PT job on the side to increase savings/pay for stuff that comes up that I don't want to use my savings for. Im a great saver, and have saved a fair stash that makes me feel OK with not having the side income.

My most recent PT gig I maintained for almost 7 years as a PCA-type roll at a group home for 6 elderly folks, all in wheel chairs, most non-verbal.  Well, one of them died a while back and they replaced that individual with a 16-year old, fully mobile kid. This kid was hyper-active, non-verbal, and abusive to the staff and residents (think pulling out their hair, kicking them, pushing over their chairs, etc) who of course they can't protect themselves.  All other staff refused to say anything because this was their primary jobs and they didn't want to catch any heat by complaining (apparently complaints about bad situations in the past had fallen on deaf ears or resulted in transfers/firing the staff).  The company got a SIGNIFICANT amount of money for keeping the kid here because of his high behavior issues and therefore willingly put $$ above safety.

One day the kid tried to strangle me I took pictures of the bruises on my neck, filed a complaint.  The company offered to provide a self-defense class (seriously!).  I asked them how that would help the residents in wheel chairs who cant move themselves.  No responses.   A few weeks later I found black eyes on a few of the residents.  Filed another complaint.  The nurse told me (on the hush) that the company was putting together a case to fire me to shut me up.  I gave up trying to follow the correct procedures and filed a case directly with the State and then called in to say I was quitting.  (I think they were relieved that they had "gotten rid" of me so easily).
A few months later, one of the staff who still worked at the house told me that a lady from state had shown up  to follow up on the complaint I filed the kid tried to attack the state worker who had screamed and run out the front door, lol.  A week after that the company was told by state that they had x days to get rid of the kid or their entire company would be shut down. 

In the meantime, a manager of another house that I did like offered me the same PT hours at her place, so I still had my extra income and I got the satisfaction of helping out the poor staff and residents at the original house who were too scared or unable to do anything for themselves.

Trifele

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1439 on: January 19, 2017, 04:29:39 PM »
Holy shit, Hettie.  That is some serious and sad stuff. Glad you were there to do the right thing.

Mother Fussbudget

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1440 on: January 19, 2017, 04:45:03 PM »
Holy shit, Hettie.  That is some serious and sad stuff. Glad you were there to do the right thing.
Indeed.  Thanks for doing the right thing, Hettie!

Taran Wanderer

• Bristles
« Reply #1441 on: January 19, 2017, 05:40:19 PM »
Indeed.  Thanks for doing the right thing, Hettie!

Epic!  Good on you for doing the right thing.  Behold the power for FU Money.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1442 on: January 19, 2017, 05:42:15 PM »
Yay Hettie!  You may never know what harm you saved some of those people who couldn't protect themselves, but thank you for doing that.  Way to go putting yourself in a position where you could, and then doing it!  :D
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with a kid.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (occasionally) blog at AdventuringAlong.com.
You can also read my forum "Journal."

G-dog

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1443 on: January 19, 2017, 05:47:50 PM »
It's great when FU money saves you, but so much better when it saves someone else!

SwordGuy

• Magnum Stache
    • Flipping Fayetteville
« Reply #1444 on: January 19, 2017, 06:40:54 PM »
Yeah Hettie!!!!

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1445 on: January 19, 2017, 06:45:56 PM »
Hettie, I have been looking at assisted living facilities for my mom recently.   Your story is one of the reasons we chose that route, rather than adult family homes.  My state regulates things fairly well, but if none of the patients or caregivers can speak for themselves, it is scary how things can spin out of control.  On behalf of the medically vulnerable and their family and friends, thank you for taking a stand. 
Wherever you go, there you are

hettie1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1446 on: January 19, 2017, 07:47:30 PM »
Hettie, I have been looking at assisted living facilities for my mom recently.   Your story is one of the reasons we chose that route, rather than adult family homes.  My state regulates things fairly well, but if none of the patients or caregivers can speak for themselves, it is scary how things can spin out of control.  On behalf of the medically vulnerable and their family and friends, thank you for taking a stand.

Good choice!  Having worked in several home situations over the last decades I HIGHLY recommend one-on-one care or an actual assisted living home.  Group homes have some great staff, but they can go wrong quickly and its so sad.

Laura33

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1447 on: January 19, 2017, 09:04:57 PM »
Holy effing hell, Hettie.  I am glad there are people like you in this world.

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1448 on: January 19, 2017, 09:35:00 PM »
Holy effing hell, Hettie.  I am glad there are people like you in this world.
Amen to that!

Also, hugs to you, BlueHouse. I have soooo been there, done that. I am four years post-FIRE and every damn shit sandwich was worth it. I now have no memory of how bad they tasted way back when. Yours is definitely a FU story, because your stash keeps you from ever having to eat another one. You have a choice, and you will prevail in the end. You've got this.
A Lot Like This

jlajr

• Stubble
« Reply #1449 on: January 19, 2017, 10:12:44 PM »
It's great when FU money saves you, but so much better when it saves someone else!

+1 to that, G-dog!

Also, before seeing BlueHouse's post and the comments to it, the thought occurred to me that having at least some FU money kind of forces us to think: When are the shit sandwiches are too big that it becomes worth taking action that could lead to using that FU money before complete FIRE?

Without FU money, we might be able to simply accept that we have to eat the shit sandwiches being served to us in our current situations, unless or until someone offers to serve us something else that might look nice now but could turn into more shit sandwiches.

Is this is a case of "With great power, comes great responsibility" or could it be "Mo' money, mo' problems"? :)