Author Topic: Epic FU money stories  (Read 652315 times)

okits

• Magnum Stache
Re: Epic FU money stories
« Reply #1500 on: February 10, 2017, 08:49:55 PM »
Naturally, nothing came of it - my SO continued working there and the newest member of our family continued rubbing his face against my stubble whenever he could.   

Big kiss for Hamlet and a huge thank you to your SO and you, nippycrisp.  FU money saving an innocent life is wonderful.

Wonder how "we can't get back the cat you signed away" went over with the wife.  Hope it opened her eyes WRT her husband.

Lyngi

• Stubble
« Reply #1501 on: February 10, 2017, 09:26:31 PM »
20 years ago I was 8 months pregnant, we had just bought our house. I had only been out of school for 2 years.  One day, my  boss walks me down the hall and tells me the company wanted to lay me off.  We were a really busy pharmacy.  The staff was great, our customers were loyal.  My boss had been hired on after me and he told me he wasn't going to let them do that to me, he was going to quit.  He already had a second, part time job that he could move into full time and was happy to go.   He still works there.   The other pharmacist was much older, ready to retire and spend some time with his wife.  He also quit.   I had my baby.  Boss left.  Company had to contract with a temporary agency to staff the pharmacy in my absence.  Second pharmacist left.   They now had to have two temporary pharmacists.  It cost them more than double the going rate for pharmacists.    I had to go in and do an inventory during my maternity leave.  I came back, the best technician quit.  I had no experience in management, I had to leave my new baby.  We were still really busy. I called one of my preceptors that I had worked for during school.  He put me in touch with my current company.  At the time there was a terrible pharmacist shortage and I had a job in less than a week and I left!!  It was a good move.   Not long after, the district manager called me and offered me more money if I would come back.   It was significant, but I was happy where I was and I told them no.  Afterwards,  I would often wander by the old place and every time there were new faces.  I could tell things were slowing down.  The company went downhill.  Stores started closing across the country.  Finally,  the entire store closed in 2013.  Company is still in trouble.  I had a very lucky escape and I think fondly of my two coworkers who had the F/U money to save my job.

SwordGuy

• Magnum Stache
    • Flipping Fayetteville
« Reply #1502 on: February 10, 2017, 11:55:31 PM »
Not really an FU money story, but Hamlet's story reminded me of this one.

My dad got sick and went into the hospital.

So my mom took his cat to the vet and had it put to sleep.

Not a damn thing wrong with the cat (other than being unlucky).

Didn't discuss it with my dad beforehand.

She called and told me about it afterward.

I was **not nice** to my mom in that discussion.   **At all.**

I did not say a single dirty word but my mom had an absolute understanding of how I felt about what she had done. 

It bothered her so much that she called my wife the next day and tried to get sympathy from my wife.

(My wife, when we were dating, was forbidden by my mom to go to my mom's home.   My mom had never met her at that time.)

(My wife had two children in her first marriage, I've raised them as my own.   My mother did not consider that I had any children or that she had any grand children.)

(My wife was always polite and cordial to my mom, but there was no love lost on either side.   And I can't fault my wife one single bit for that, either.)

She didn't get any sympathy from my lovely wife.   My wife was more diplomatic than I was (and also had the benefit of hearing about it beforehand), but my mom also knew in no uncertain terms that what she did was unforgivable. 

My dad got a new cat when he got out of the hospital.   I was not privy to any discussions they might have had on that particular topic.

When he got sick and passed away some years later, mom didn't have the cat put to sleep either.   Now that she's passed on, dad's new cat lives with us.   

And he's happy.   He's taking a nap on the couch near me while I write this.

msilenus

• Bristles
« Reply #1503 on: February 11, 2017, 11:52:05 AM »
Summers at the farm,
Playing with babushka's goat.
Kittens every year.

ambimammular

• Bristles
« Reply #1504 on: February 12, 2017, 08:49:19 AM »
Summers at the farm,
Kittens every year.

I see what you did, and I appreciate it.

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1505 on: February 12, 2017, 04:22:36 PM »
Summers at the farm,
Kittens every year.

I missed the hidden message. Anyone care to share?

JLee

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1506 on: February 12, 2017, 06:36:07 PM »
Summers at the farm,
Kittens every year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haiku

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1507 on: February 12, 2017, 07:33:55 PM »
Summers at the farm,
Kittens every year.

I get that it's a hauku.  I don't get the content.
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with a kid.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (occasionally) blog at AdventuringAlong.com.
You can also read my forum "Journal."

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1508 on: February 12, 2017, 07:41:24 PM »
Summers at the farm,
Kittens every year.

Ditto.

JLee

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1509 on: February 12, 2017, 07:51:57 PM »
Summers at the farm,
Kittens every year.

Ditto.

Oh. Well, that's all I've got. :P

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #1510 on: February 12, 2017, 07:59:16 PM »
Summers at the farm,
Kittens every year.

It wouldn't be happiness without a violin playing goat.
Give me one fine day of plain sailing weather and I can mess up anything.

MustacheMathTM

Abe Froman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1511 on: February 13, 2017, 07:00:43 AM »
Agree with ARS, this is by FAR the best thread on this forum.
Although I have been a guest lurker for a long time I have finally made myself legit -->http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/profile/?u=31677 on the forum, but mostly to follow this thread more easily.

I suppose I am lucky that my work around the salted cured meats industry has proven to be filled with top quality folks and no working through the 'meat grinder.'

dandarc

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1512 on: February 13, 2017, 07:50:30 AM »
Agree with ARS, this is by FAR the best thread on this forum.
Although I have been a guest lurker for a long time I have finally made myself legit -->http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/profile/?u=31677 on the forum, but mostly to follow this thread more easily.

I suppose I am lucky that my work around the salted cured meats industry has proven to be filled with top quality folks and no working through the 'meat grinder.'
Pastrami is the most sensual of the dried, salted meats.

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1513 on: February 14, 2017, 06:50:18 AM »

Hvillian

• Stubble
« Reply #1514 on: February 14, 2017, 07:57:26 AM »
I would love to hear a story from one of these people.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-02-13/one-reason-staffers-quit-google-s-car-project-the-company-paid-them-so-much

Are any of you here?

I thought the exact same thing when I saw that in the news this morning.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1515 on: February 14, 2017, 11:14:16 AM »
I am so happy that Hamlet has a safe and happy home with you. I almost couldn't read your whole post once it became clear that some sort of abuse might've occurred. Heartbreaking. That poor kitty.

And..... I live in Chicago, and have had occasion to avail myself of the kitty ER on a few occasions. I've never gotten anything but wonderful treatment there, but knowing that their corporate overlords would pull that sort of thing does give me pause, I admit.

(Also wondering who the regular Angry Vet who sends them all the business is, though I understand why you wouldn't want to say. My vet owns the practice and is female so at least I know it's not mine!)

PaulMaxime

• Stubble
  • Absolute power doesn't corrupt, it reveals.
« Reply #1516 on: February 19, 2017, 09:23:13 PM »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-02-13/one-reason-staffers-quit-google-s-car-project-the-company-paid-them-so-much

Are any of you here?

I'm a former Googler. Worked there 8 years. Pretty much FI at this point but I am still working for another couple years I think.
"When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?" - John Maynard Keynes

Zamboni

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1517 on: February 19, 2017, 09:36:21 PM »
This is not my story, but an epic FU money (or really an epic FU skill set) story published via a blog:
https://www.susanjfowler.com/blog/2017/2/19/reflecting-on-one-very-strange-year-at-uber

I think I'll pass on ever traveling via Uber again . . . most of their drivers are also on other apps anyway.

EricL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1518 on: February 19, 2017, 10:55:18 PM »
This is not my story, but an epic FU money (or really an epic FU skill set) story published via a blog:
https://www.susanjfowler.com/blog/2017/2/19/reflecting-on-one-very-strange-year-at-uber

I think I'll pass on ever traveling via Uber again . . . most of their drivers are also on other apps anyway.

Quite a story about a company headquartered in such a so called progressive city in a liberalish state.  If Über is really that way it's doomed. That type of environment and institutional stupidity will poison more than just work related gender issues. 

Edit: And now the story's out: https://techcrunch.com/2017/02/19/former-uber-engineer-says-company-ignored-repeated-reports-of-harassment/
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 10:58:11 PM by EricL »
Gentleman of Leisure

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1519 on: February 19, 2017, 11:35:24 PM »
Could have been epic...

There's been a ton of work drama.  I've been doing my supervisor's job for years.  But I enjoy the job, and moves were made to keep the supervisor out of my hair.  He left for medical reasons last September.  I spend the next 4 months doing all of the things.  They finally open his job once the FMLA runs out.  I have to apply for it just like everyone else.

Here's the thing.  I refuse to train a new supervisor.  If I don't get the position, I'm leaving.  I have a year's worth of expenses sitting around.  I can make more freelancing in 4 months than I can in a year at this job.  AND I have another side gig that would easily translate to a full time thing.  I tell this to the boss.  He tells his boss.  .... I get the job, at the highest pay step they can give me.

But I was prepared to clean out my office the day of the interview.  It was a good feeling.
I have a journal! $10 at a time
And a Kitchen Renovation thread! Kitchen Reno

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1520 on: February 20, 2017, 12:06:54 AM »
^^ Hooray! ^^ Well played.
I did it! I have a journal!
A Lot Like This
And hell yes, I am still moving confidently in the direction of my dreams...

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1521 on: February 20, 2017, 05:58:31 AM »

I'm a former Googler. Worked there 8 years. Pretty much FI at this point but I am still working for another couple years I think.

You said you used to work there.. Did you achieve FI, but then left to do something else just because you wanted to? Details please :)

zolotiyeruki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1522 on: February 20, 2017, 08:07:00 AM »
But I was prepared to clean out my office the day of the interview.  It was a good feeling.
I don't know about the rest of you, but this is certainly epic in my book.

mm1970

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1523 on: February 20, 2017, 03:01:38 PM »

Quite a story about a company headquartered in such a so called progressive city in a liberalish state.  If Über is really that way it's doomed. That type of environment and institutional stupidity will poison more than just work related gender issues. 

Edit: And now the story's out: https://techcrunch.com/2017/02/19/former-uber-engineer-says-company-ignored-repeated-reports-of-harassment/
I read this just this morning.  Ugh...

Mother Fussbudget

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1524 on: February 20, 2017, 03:47:11 PM »
LONG... perhaps not 'Epic', but FU money played a HUGE role. Unprecedented.  Monumental.  Big League.  FU First...  (sorry)
It sure was interesting to 'experience'... I'll use letters (A, B, C, etc) to represent company names to protect the innocent.

Two weeks ago, my manager at wireless company T dropped by to tell me that my contract date was up due to new tenure restrictions. (Been in my current role for 3.5 years - new rules say only 18 months allowed). [At the 1-year mark in this position, I decided to do an arguably un-mustachian thing, and purchase a house close to T so I could bike to work AND my son could stay in the right school district, but that's another story].  I contacted my account representative, and she added me to my firm's 'available list' immediately.  I brushed up my resume, and was sent a bunch of bench-guide documentation - since I was likely to be on-the-bench / or between gigs.  As a point of reference, the last time I was on-the-bench 3.5 years ago, I was between gigs for 3 months(!) - during that time I received a small salary, but no hourly compensation (the bread-and-butter of management consultant contractors).

That night, I went home, and crunched numbers...  With a FIRE date 14 months away, I worked with the numbers to see if I could pull the date in sooner.  With lots of belt tightening, I could ACTUALLY PULL IT OFF, and FIRE with around a 6% withdrawal rate for the first 3 years.  Still sounded risky. 
BUT... if I could SELL MY HOUSE, I'd be at or above my FIRE number TODAY.  Problem is, I didn't really want to sell the house.

The next day, joined a weekly call for people on-the-bench to hear about current job prospects, and network with other bench warmers. I found out the average 'bench time' for my firm currently averages only 3 weeks.  Not bad - maybe time for a little rest & relaxation??  I researched flights to sunny climes, and pictured palm trees, and sand between my toes...  ah!  I buffed up the resume, removed things from 10 years ago, and things looked very up-to-date. 

Thursday, I was sought-out via email about a job opportunity at coffee roaster S.  It would be a great fit, I would really like the culture, blah, blah, blah.  So my resume got submitted. 

That Friday, I was called during my drive to work about a 'perfect fit' job at culture-less wireless company A. Good money, I could save a project that was wallowing, etc.  There was also discussion about positions opening soon at software company M who had wanted to hire me 3 years ago, but weren't willing to pay the right $$.  Now things were different, and that was again a real possibility.

Last week, Monday... Tues... Weds... nothing.  No word.  No calls.  No emails.  I called my realtor on Tuesday about SELLING MY HOUSE, and starting geographic arbitrage earlier than planned. In Seattle's overheated housing market, I could net ~$200K if I sold today.  50% appreciation in just over 2 years!!  More to think about.

Weds I missed the weekly bench call - I was on a project related call.  Noon: finally heard that A would not 'show me the money', and the account rep there knew I would take a 'long sabbatical' rather than accept a lower rate.  I expressed my thanks, and realized I'm literally in One More Year syndrome - but I'll only work if the $$ is right.

Weds afternoon, after a party at T headquarters, I bumped into another account rep in-the-elevator. He said hi, and mentioned he had recommended me for a new gig, and asked for my updated resume.  He said, "Please send it", and got off the elevator. No dummy here, I got off WITH HIM instead of going to my destination.  We chatted for 5 minutes about a project manager role that would keep me at T in a new role that wouldn't be subject to any tenure / time limits.  Since it would be at the headquarters building (instead of 11 miles away in hilly Bot Hell), I would again be able to bike to work.  [Yea rolling gym!]

Thursday morning, 'elevator account rep guy' said he'd reviewed my resume, and wondered if I could pump it up to make it look more 'Project Manager-y'.  I went through, and changed the words Program Manager to Project Manager in several key places, and sent an update.  PERFECT!, he said.  When are you free to work in a new role?  March 1st, I said, but I could start immediately if I could give my current team ~10% of my time between now and Mid-March.  He said, Great. When can you interview tomorrow/Friday?.  I says:  Friday Anytime After 1pm.  He set up a Friday 1pm this-is-the-role meeting with him, and a 4pm interview with the hiring manager. 

My Friday started with a traffic slog to Bot Hell to do my current role work, followed by a lunch-time trip back home, and a bike-ride into headquarters.  On the ride in, I literally had to avoid running into my CURRENT manager on the sidewalk.  I told him why I was there, and that if it went well, I would be starting in a new role sooner than expected, giving 10% of my time to his team.  He said he was ALREADY AWARE of this plan(?), and gave me the green light.

The 1pm get-up-to-speed meet went smoothly. Rep guy gave me a heads up on which parts of my resume would pluck the right strings for the hiring manager - that Quality Manager role at retailer A... oops... (not to be confused with wireless A) - as an example.

At 1:30, I the hiring manager emailed
Can you meet earlier than 4pm?
   How about 2:30?
Great. Thanks for being flexible. See you then.
At 2:30, hiring manager bought me a nice soy-chai consumer-sucka-cuppa-pricey coffee drink, and we chatted.
   I'm a get sh***tuff done guy. Project Management isn't rocket science - a box for every thing, and every thing in it's box, blah, blah. 
When were you at retailer-A? I was there too you know.
   2005-2007. A little over 2 years. I built a team from one person - me - to 8 people.  A team that's now 85+ people spread across five continents.
Did you know person-X?
   I've heard the name.  I knew person-Y.
I know person-Y as well.  Small world.  Well... I'm not gonna lie.  We're up against a wall on this one.  We want it to ship in 15 working days, so I need you to start right away. There's a 3pm meeting to review the project, can you make it?
   Sure. When do I start officially.
Start?  You started when I saw your name on the resume. Welcome to the team.

This weekend, I called my realtor, and told him I'd be staying put for the foreseeable future.  Gotta love the flexibility of FU money. 

But it looks like I'll only have time for a weekend stay-cation... oh well.  14 months (or less) to go!

[NOTE:  earlier references to 'dog years' removed - it was a reference to working at retailer A where one year seemed like 7 years out of your life in a real cut-throat environment.]
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 05:58:24 PM by Mother Fussbudget »

shelivesthedream

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1525 on: February 20, 2017, 04:02:56 PM »
That's a great story, but what's with the dog years?

RyanAtTanagra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1526 on: February 20, 2017, 04:13:06 PM »
That's a great story, but what's with the dog years?

And all the quotes.  And hyphens.  Good story but that was one painful read.

gerardc

• Bristles
« Reply #1527 on: February 20, 2017, 04:15:41 PM »

Are any of you here?

From the interview video: "These types of people... not the type of people who're gonna retire, sit around" so I guess not :(

Some of them are founding their own start ups with what they have learned at Google

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1528 on: February 20, 2017, 11:41:13 PM »

And all the quotes.  And hyphens.  Good story. but that was one painful read.
FTFY. Loved the story, no problem following along, and I'm not the sharpest shovel in the toolshed.
I did it! I have a journal!
A Lot Like This
And hell yes, I am still moving confidently in the direction of my dreams...

shelivesthedream

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1529 on: February 21, 2017, 01:16:42 AM »
Quote from: Mother Fussbudget link=topic=18251.msg1441068#msg1441068
[NOTE:  earlier references to 'dog years' removed - it was a reference to working at retailer A where one year seemed like 7 years out of your life in a real cut-throat environment.]

Ah... I get it now! It's funny now you've explained it.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1530 on: February 21, 2017, 01:31:25 AM »
Could have been epic...

There's been a ton of work drama.  I've been doing my supervisor's job for years.  But I enjoy the job, and moves were made to keep the supervisor out of my hair.  He left for medical reasons last September.  I spend the next 4 months doing all of the things.  They finally open his job once the FMLA runs out.  I have to apply for it just like everyone else.

Here's the thing.  I refuse to train a new supervisor.  If I don't get the position, I'm leaving.  I have a year's worth of expenses sitting around.  I can make more freelancing in 4 months than I can in a year at this job.  AND I have another side gig that would easily translate to a full time thing.  I tell this to the boss.  He tells his boss.  .... I get the job, at the highest pay step they can give me.

Nice!

We want it to ship in 15 working days, so I need you to start right away.

Your next few weeks sound like hell, but congrats!  Having that FU money to be able to say "nah, I'll take a sabbatical if you won't show me the money" is so awesome.  :D

Just one more year!
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with a kid.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (occasionally) blog at AdventuringAlong.com.
You can also read my forum "Journal."

Liberty Stache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1531 on: February 21, 2017, 08:08:42 AM »
Could have been epic...

Perfect use of leverage. I love it.
"Sloth, like rust, consumes faster than labor wears, while the used key is always bright" ~Benjamin Franklin, The Way to Wealth

AnswerIs42

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1532 on: March 02, 2017, 10:19:01 AM »
There's a good one on TheDailyWTF today:

http://thedailywtf.com/articles/it-s-no-big-deal

One or two complainypants in the comments section ("How could you possibly save enough to retire after 30 years in tech?"), but mostly supportive :)

RyanAtTanagra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1533 on: March 02, 2017, 11:02:06 AM »

One or two complainypants in the comments section ("How could you possibly save enough to retire after 30 years in tech?"), but mostly supportive :)

Good story, and I'm really impressed with the comments.  Just one guy really, telling the author he's an impossible outlier and his story is a slap in the face to normal people.  Then everyone else defending the author and basically saying if after 30 years in IT you're not financially secure you done f'd up.

PaulMaxime

• Stubble
« Reply #1534 on: March 02, 2017, 07:17:43 PM »

You said you used to work there.. Did you achieve FI, but then left to do something else just because you wanted to? Details please :)

Yeah. I was basically FI, but I still had some things I wanted to do as far as working. I had never done a startup. My team spun off from Google to become an independent company in Sept of 2015. Lots of my co-workers couldn't or wouldn't take the risk and stayed behind.

9 months later Niantic Labs launched Pokemon Go. It was a risk worth taking, I think.

Paul
"When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?" - John Maynard Keynes

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #1535 on: March 02, 2017, 07:58:57 PM »

Nice. Always a complainy pants, in every bunch.
Give me one fine day of plain sailing weather and I can mess up anything.

MustacheMathTM

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
  • Live Long, Live Free, Drop Dead
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #1536 on: March 03, 2017, 08:22:48 AM »

Yeah. I was basically FI, but I still had some things I wanted to do as far as working. I had never done a startup. My team spun off from Google to become an independent company in Sept of 2015. Lots of my co-workers couldn't or wouldn't take the risk and stayed behind.

9 months later Niantic Labs launched Pokemon Go. It was a risk worth taking, I think.

Paul

You are at Niantic? That's freaking awesome (never played PG, but I was a loyal ENL for a while)
Join the cycling challenge!
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

Camp Mustache Canada - Sold Out Already!!

Livingthedream55

• Bristles
« Reply #1537 on: March 03, 2017, 10:21:08 AM »
I don't know about the rest of you, but this is certainly epic in my book.

This!! OMG   Fantastic to read these!!! 

RyanAtTanagra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1538 on: March 03, 2017, 10:29:18 AM »
You are at Niantic? That's freaking awesome (never played PG, but I was a loyal ENL for a while)

Come back, your team needs you!

Jessamine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1539 on: March 03, 2017, 10:33:58 AM »

No they don't.  Come back and join the Resistance!

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
  • Live Long, Live Free, Drop Dead
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #1540 on: March 03, 2017, 10:36:09 AM »

Players still hit me up for backup when there be creepy people following as they farm the park by my house, but I don't even have phone service anymore. And yes, when I stopped playing, I dropped all of my inventory throughout a week, meeting people and making sure my stuff was useful (including ADA's and Jarvis's). Even turned my guardian over to someone who would take care of it. I really liked being involved in anomalies, and some of the global stuff (like Operation Green Marble) is super fun, but just got too much of a time suck.

No they don't.  Come back and join the Resistance!

That ain't happening :). Frog is still a term of endearment for me, and Smurf is a tongue in cheek insult.
Join the cycling challenge!
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

Camp Mustache Canada - Sold Out Already!!

PaulMaxime

• Stubble
« Reply #1541 on: March 03, 2017, 12:13:37 PM »

Yeah, been at Niantic since 2012. I think I'll be here for at least another year or two. It's been pretty intense in the last year - I feel like I've earned every dollar. We have a 4 year vest for our options but I'm not sure I'll make it all the way to 2019. It's hard when you don't really need the extra money, though the work environment is good and I like my coworkers for the most part.

Glad to see we have some Ingress players on here. Personally, I'm resistance all the way, but we do have a good mix of both here at HQ.

RyanAtTanagra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1542 on: March 03, 2017, 12:16:47 PM »
Glad to see we have some Ingress players on here. Personally, I'm resistance all the way, but we do have a good mix of both here at HQ.

Are you active?  I'm curious if we know each other by agent name.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1543 on: March 03, 2017, 12:20:31 PM »

Yeah, been at Niantic since 2012. I think I'll be here for at least another year or two. It's been pretty intense in the last year - I feel like I've earned every dollar. We have a 4 year vest for our options but I'm not sure I'll make it all the way to 2019. It's hard when you don't really need the extra money, though the work environment is good and I like my coworkers for the most part.

Vesting is, IMHO, one of the most reasonable excuses for "One More Year". Depending on the amount that is at stake, of course, but it could end up being "Two more years salary for one more year of work".

Cannot Wait!

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #1544 on: March 03, 2017, 04:41:00 PM »

Vesting is, IMHO, one of the most reasonable excuses for "One More Year". Depending on the amount that is at stake, of course, but it could end up being "Two more years salary for one more year of work".

Yeah but you are on an EARLY retirement forum where it is also reasonable to leave a job early if there are better things to do with your time!  😉
806228541398102 is my referral code for Questrade and 48650126S1 for Tangerine.  Hey, why not?

prognastat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1545 on: March 03, 2017, 04:50:11 PM »

Cool, my wife loved ingress and we both play Pokemon Go(she is a little more active than I am XD)

As for your situation it is definitely understandable to feel like you should stay for the vesting and not miss out on the money and this will likely be completely up to yourself. If you have more than enough to comfortably FIRE with your current level of spending and current stache then you don't need the extra money and the only reason to stay is because you enjoy it or feel some kind of responsibility to stay till a certain point. If however it gets to the point where you don't enjoy the work then don't let golden handcuffs hold you back.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 04:59:31 PM by prognastat »

Nangirl17

• Stubble
« Reply #1546 on: March 03, 2017, 04:55:09 PM »
Posting to follow!

AlanStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1547 on: March 03, 2017, 06:19:11 PM »

All in good jest :-)
Be the person Mr. Rogers knows you can be.

PaulMaxime

• Stubble
« Reply #1548 on: March 03, 2017, 07:27:31 PM »

Are you active?  I'm curious if we know each other by agent name.

Haven't been playing too much lately because of work, but I'm NumberSix, Lvl 15 Resistance.

PaulMaxime

• Stubble
« Reply #1549 on: March 03, 2017, 07:41:45 PM »

Cool, my wife loved ingress and we both play Pokemon Go(she is a little more active than I am XD)

As for your situation it is definitely understandable to feel like you should stay for the vesting and not miss out on the money and this will likely be completely up to yourself. If you have more than enough to comfortably FIRE with your current level of spending and current stache then you don't need the extra money and the only reason to stay is because you enjoy it or feel some kind of responsibility to stay till a certain point. If however it gets to the point where you don't enjoy the work then don't let golden handcuffs hold you back.

Trust me, I'm only here because it's still fun. If that ends I'm gone.

One thing that gives me pause is the Republicans' promise to repeal the ACA. I have a pre-existing condition which will make insurance either really expensive or impossible to get if they get their way. So I can use the extra money as a buffer in case health care becomes an issue.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 07:45:29 PM by PaulMaxime »