Author Topic: Epic FU money stories  (Read 2794949 times)

Ghzbani

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Epic FU money stories
« Reply #500 on: June 02, 2015, 07:50:42 PM »
FU money allows me to be really picky when taking new jobs.  A couple years ago, I was recruited for a company to be a founding member of a new division of the org.  Opportunity sounded fun and challenging- starting things is one of my big thrills.  However, right before they made me the offer, they told me there would be travel (I'd asked them NUMEROUS times during the interviews and they said no).  After travelling with work 50% for 8 years I was done.  I said, I wouldn't travel more than 4 weeks per year because I wanted to be home with my family.  So, get this, they came back and increased their offer 20k so that I could "hire a nanny".  I told them that wasn't the point- I wanted to be home with them not have a nanny be home with them.  The SVP kept saying "I don't get it."  Well, that's obvious.

Awesome. Just Awesome.

oinkette

• Stubble
  • Well behaved women rarely make history.
« Reply #501 on: June 04, 2015, 11:54:48 AM »
all of the comments to my little tale are beyond amusing. To finish the story, I took the high road and informed our manager about the email. He offered to fire the guy for insubordination. I told the manager to hold off on firing the guy. I'll give him the opportunity to apologize and make things right, but I already have his replacement picked out. When it comes down to it, this is a business. I wouldn't be in the position I'm in unless I was that good. As for my management style, why don't you all Google "Jack Welch". I don't need compassion or sympathy to lead. I need results and a bottom-line, because the second I forget about that then I'll be looking for job and so will everyone else when the company fails. We pursue FIRE to have options ten to twenty years before the average worker. Not because we hate our jobs. Why would anyone punish themselves with a job they hated for ten to fifteen years with their only goal being retirement. Go out and do something with your lives. Make a difference. I know I get to make a difference every day when I go into work.

To make widely acquisitions and comment on a post with little background information is just asine.  you need to learn to ask questions and collect information before adding your two cents. This thread was set up to share stories, not to collect unsolicited comments. As Mark Twain said "better to remain silent and be thought the fool, than to speak and prove them right."

you sound like one of the guys that everyone want FU money to get away from.

Agreed. Granted I work in the non-profit sector but I've had bosses that didn't need "compassion or sympathy to lead."  Either they don't last long, or the people under them flee like rats on a sinking ship.  There is a balance.. you should learn it before you become the manager.

biggrey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #502 on: June 05, 2015, 08:00:29 AM »

To make widely acquisitions and comment on a post with little background information is just asine.  you need to learn to ask questions and collect information before adding your two cents. This thread was set up to share stories, not to collect unsolicited comments. As Mark Twain said "better to remain silent and be thought the fool, than to speak and prove them right."
[/quote]

---------------------------

Based on my read of this forum and the character of the majority of its members, I can assure the OP that we typically do not make "widely acquisitions" about things, nor do we post opinions that are "asine" very frequently. 

I think perhaps the OP should take more of Mark Twain's advice and remain silent in more of his interpersonal dealings, whether real or virtual.

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #503 on: June 05, 2015, 01:38:11 PM »
I love reading these stories. While I don't have an FU money story, I do have an FU quitting story. I've always earned my own money starting at a young age since I didn't come from much of it. My first W-2 job was at Jack in the Box. At the time the job was ok and I was good at it, learned all of the different stations etc. One day I called the store because I needed to talk to a friend that worked there. The manager answered the phone and was very rude to me and hung up on me and I had no idea why. Turns out when I talked to me friend he had a message for me that my hours were cut for a week and that I needed to talk with the manager if I wanted to know why. So I went in to talk with the manager and found out the whole reason was due to me calling at a really busy time. The guys was a real a'hole about the whole thing and told me if I kept arguing over it he would add another week. I stood straight up from the table told him he could cut my hours forever and walked out. It felt amazing. I arranged a job at the other Jack in the Box across town, but right before I was going to start it got shut down. Turns out the jerk manager had it blocked. Turned out to be fine for me, I got a job at a gas station and learned way more and liked it more anyway. Everything happens for a reason!

MountainManMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #504 on: June 05, 2015, 02:40:01 PM »
For me "U" comes before "I".  FU that is, comes before FI.

I used having FU money (for me the amount was really close to FI, so close that only slight adjustment to lifestyle in ER was necessary if the SHTF), to take risks at my job and begin pushing for what was right for clients and the company, not necessarily right for politics within.

It worked well since after about 2 yrs of this behavior they "eliminated" my job and gave me money not only to leave but a bonus to stick around another month to train the new guy (poor guy got not only my job but it was laid on top of his current job, for a lot less than I was making).

So FU money got me FIRED!  HAHAHA.

Happy to be on FIRE, free and wild like a Honey Badger

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #505 on: June 05, 2015, 04:14:18 PM »
For me "U" comes before "I".  FU that is, comes before FI.

I used having FU money (for me the amount was really close to FI, so close that only slight adjustment to lifestyle in ER was necessary if the SHTF), to take risks at my job and begin pushing for what was right for clients and the company, not necessarily right for politics within.

It worked well since after about 2 yrs of this behavior they "eliminated" my job and gave me money not only to leave but a bonus to stick around another month to train the new guy (poor guy got not only my job but it was laid on top of his current job, for a lot less than I was making).

So FU money got me FIRED!  HAHAHA.

Happy to be on FIRE, free and wild like a Honey Badger
I'm hoping to engineer the same departure into FIRE. I work and Mega Corp and they do layoff often trying to downsize in certain areas. There is usually a nice package involved and sometimes they allow people to volunteer which is what I'm hoping will coincide with my FIRE date.

regulator

• Bristles
« Reply #506 on: June 05, 2015, 04:50:17 PM »
I sometimes find myself checking out this thread on Sunday nights.

Wonder why??

Seems to have been a shortage of epic stories recently.
"Sunday Night Syndrome".

My blog's posts on retiring from the military go through the same surge of hits every Sunday night.

One way to avoid this issue would be clicking on the "Notify" button by a post, but that would just spread the Sunday night review out across the rest of the week...

One of my old work buddies referred to it as "Suckday night."

galaxie

• Bristles
« Reply #507 on: June 17, 2015, 08:01:40 PM »
Not quite FU money, but spending less than I earn has enabled me to take a pay cut in order to go do my dream job.  Nothing wrong with my old job, just the opportunity of a lifetime.  We should still both be able to retire in about 14 years (when I'm 46).

I'm checking back in after a year.  Turns out that enjoying my job leads me to read the MMM forums a lot less frequently.  The job change was totally worth it, and FI is still on track too. 

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #508 on: June 17, 2015, 08:13:27 PM »
Not quite FU money, but spending less than I earn has enabled me to take a pay cut in order to go do my dream job.  Nothing wrong with my old job, just the opportunity of a lifetime.  We should still both be able to retire in about 14 years (when I'm 46).

I'm checking back in after a year.  Turns out that enjoying my job leads me to read the MMM forums a lot less frequently.  The job change was totally worth it, and FI is still on track too.
That's a fantastic way to leverage your FU money...

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #509 on: June 17, 2015, 08:16:00 PM »

That is great - happy for you!

LaserCat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #510 on: June 17, 2015, 08:49:36 PM »
I don't know if I would call it epic, but having a stache of even just a little bit of FU you money allowed me to break my lease and move to another apartment.

Basically I moved into a new place which I quickly found out had neighbors from hell on all sides.  Pacing, stomping guy who worked nights lived above me, guy who loved bass music every single night on one side, and the arguing couple on the other side.

After attempting but never succeeding to contact my bass loving neighbor and after being told off by asking my above neighbor if he could be a bit quieter after midnight, I'd had enough and I broke my lease and moved after 1 month of being there.  My FU money allowed me to afford that.  If I knew then what I know now, I would have stuck it to my landlord to fix it, and I would have been able to leave without a break lease fee.  (Quiet Enjoyment Laws)

In any case, it was worth every penny to keep my sanity.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #511 on: June 17, 2015, 08:54:40 PM »
There is so much attrition at my company after many rounds of layoffs, that HR is now worried too many people are leaving. So they arranged some HR feedback sessions. After attending one and speaking my mind, I keep getting invited to more. I basically regurgitate all of the moaning and groaning in the hallways back to HR. I guess the HR lady likes my feedback as I am having a meeting a week now. It's cutting into my "productive" time.

It's a lot of fun though as I say out loud what others are thinking and they all nod in agreement to the HR lady.

I try to be polite, but honest...with the power of FU money at my back pushing me along.

iknowiyam

• Stubble
    • The Honest Yam
« Reply #512 on: June 18, 2015, 10:50:58 AM »
There is so much attrition at my company after many rounds of layoffs, that HR is now worried too many people are leaving. So they arranged some HR feedback sessions. After attending one and speaking my mind, I keep getting invited to more. I basically regurgitate all of the moaning and groaning in the hallways back to HR. I guess the HR lady likes my feedback as I am having a meeting a week now. It's cutting into my "productive" time.

It's a lot of fun though as I say out loud what others are thinking and they all nod in agreement to the HR lady.

I try to be polite, but honest...with the power of FU money at my back pushing me along.

I love this, and I think it's great that they want more of your honesty. I don't know about the company, but that HR person seems to really know her biz.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #513 on: June 18, 2015, 11:55:33 AM »

I love this, and I think it's great that they want more of your honesty. I don't know about the company, but that HR person seems to really know her biz.
This is great.  I just keep my mouth shut, because if I tell anyone about the grumblings, I'm a complainer and not a team player.  Even if I'm not the one grumbling.  At one point, they considered me the "heart" of the company and would want to know what was going on in the trenches.  And I have this face, people tell me how they are really feeling.

But I guess the truth hurts, and now they'd rather not know.  Oh, and they laid off all the lower levels anyway.  I'm the bottom, so I guess I don't need to be the pulse anymore.

aspiretoretire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #514 on: June 18, 2015, 02:51:46 PM »
amazing stories

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #515 on: June 18, 2015, 06:16:49 PM »
Left a job once and took the opportunity at the exit interview to tell HR about all the problems working there - including the  complete lack of support/contact/interest from HR.
The HR person confessed that HR dept was totally useless and she was leaving herself at the end of the month ....

Bearded Man

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #516 on: June 18, 2015, 06:44:39 PM »
When I was 19 or so I cut the lock off my locker ready to quit, having already threatened to quite over a $100 bonus I was never paid but was promised. My manager called me while I was in my car leaving the garage and talked me off the ledge, making it good by cutting a check that day.

I was living in an apartment, had 3 months expenses, little skills and few options at the time. I walked off the job at a job a few years ago with a paid off house and several years of savings in the bank, but I was leaving for a better job, with a degree and lot's of skills and credentials. I had a few unjust situations in the past and ended up unemployed for a while but learned a valuable lesson to have a job lined up before you make the switch.

You should be able to stomach it for a few months while you find something acceptable. Or you could take the first thing you get within a week or three out and if it sucks you can bide your time while you hop again. Not ideal on the resume but it happens. During that time at work, you can start to dodge if you like. Call in sick on days you have unpleasant meetings. Book conflicting meetings so you don't have to go, etc. Avoid, avoid avoid to make the job more tolerable until you find something else.

cripzychiken

• Stubble
« Reply #517 on: June 18, 2015, 07:12:35 PM »
So in college, my first job was at a restaurant in the kitchen.  Wings and burgers.  Pretty easy, I was the only person that didn't show up high or smoke on the job (hey I was only 18).

Anyways, in December they post a schedule for the entire month since people leave for vacation.  That's fine. Well, the last week of the schedule was the first week of school.  Plus that Monday the college football team was playing in the national title game.  So first team staff, full 8 people.  By then I was the #2 guy in the kitchen - ran it on the weekdays when the kitchen manager had his days off.  But, I had class that day.  I put in writing that b/c of school I couldn't make that shift.  Printed the letter and my schedule and had all 3 managers sign the paper.  I copied it and sent it to all 3 managers and the owner.  The week before the shift I remind everyone that I"m not going to make it, get someone to replace me.  Put that in writing and everyone signed that too - while saying I was stupid, they wouldn't forget.  Anyways, no one fixes the schedule.  They call me 20 minutes before the game starts and ask my why I didn't show.  I didn't answer (my class ended at 7, game started at 9, I was already drinking).

Next day the owner calls me into his office to talk about my 'lack of dedication'.  He was surprised when I gave him (well picked off his desk) the notice that I would skip the shift for school with all 3 managers signatures on it, then the other reminder.  I smiled, told him if he can't run a business and since he treats his employees like criminals for giving him 4 weeks notice of a missed shift for school reasons, I can't work for him.  I quit on the spot.  Apologized to the kitchen team (it was a slow day so being a man down wouldn't be that bad), took a shot with them and left.

2 months later, I'm working at another restaurant, 2 of the 3 managers from the first one had quit (something about bad management) and were interviewing at the new restaurant.  One of them got the job and about 2 weeks later, I told him that he had to fire a guy that walked out on 2 of his shifts that week or I would walk out, I couldn't deal with the short kitchen and idiots who no-showed.  He said he couldn't, I reminded him that I had quit on the spot before and would again.  He asked me to stay the shift so he wouldn't look bad to his new boss (being down 2 guys with 1 quiting) and asked me to name my price - 6 hours and 3 pitchers of beer later, we closed the restaurant down and he had to drive me home. 

Said he never met a kid with a head on his shoulders before and I shouldn't waste my time in kitchens.  I took his advice and never worked in a kitchen again (well except my own, I love cooking).  Plus, now I got a free round when I head back to where he was working. 

Anyways, sometimes, saying FU is great, but keeping bridges with those with true power matters.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #518 on: June 22, 2015, 01:27:30 PM »
So, I was 25 or so, working as a project manager at a publicly-owned company that was, shall we say, going through some difficult times.

Boss: "So, are you sure that the milestones for these 3 projects were hit in January, and not December?"
Me: "Absolutely. The back-up documentation with the dates is attached to that in the correct place on the server."
Boss: "See, that's a problem. We really need these to have been completed in December. Can you change those documents?"
Me: "... Excuse me?"
Boss, blustering: "Well, *this colleague* and *this colleague* already did it for their projects, so you shouldn't have any issue doing it!" *
Me: "You realize that you're asking me to falsify financial documents for a publicly-owned company for the specific purpose of deceiving investors? Can I have that request in writing?"
Boss: "I could fire you for asking that!!"
Me: "Well, I have a year's worth of living expenses in the bank, and you keep insisting on me using my personal computer for work use so all my work files are on there. You can fire me, but I can confirm right now that it would NOT be in your best interest."
Boss: "... Well, I'm going to go look at options to get the revenue we need aligned to December!"

Conclusion 1: If I have been back-to-the-wall financially like some of my colleagues, I probably wouldn't have felt like I could afford to push back on a blatantly illegal request. Big, big problem.
Conclusion 2: There was a colleague in another department I was close with, and I relayed this information over drinks one night after he resigned for a new job. A month later, he asked me for my resume, and hired me... at 50% more than I had been making at this company.
Conclusion 3: A year later, the crappy company was going under, and Unethical Boss applied for a position as my colleague, which I was doing the initial round of interviews for. Let's just say she didn't get a glowing recommendation...

*Note: Colleague 1 had just bought a condo and was broke to the bone, which was common knowledge. Colleague 2 was supporting her family alone and kept complaining about how broke she was. Obviously they felt they didn't have any other options... But seriously, they did WHAT?!

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #519 on: June 22, 2015, 11:56:50 PM »
Wow. Some people don't seem to understand basic business ethics at all.  Or, even if they just don't care about ethics or somehow twist around things enough in their mind to decide something clearly unethical is okay after all, they don't seem to understand that something like that WILL come back to bite them (some way, some how) in the future.

That reminds me: I went round and round with a previous boss who was like that. FU money and general principle kept me from going along with any of her shady schemes, and I found a position in a different department.

To make a long story short it finally came around to bite her in the butt a few months ago. Someone at a very high level of power found out about her unethical practices by accident and the SHTF. I got pulled in and questioned about it during an internal investigation, so I got the gritty details. Thankfully while working with her I had stood my ground and not done any of the unethical things she suggested, and so I was able to recount what she suggested but say I never did any of it in my part of the program. She threw the other person who did her bidding right under the bus! Basically that person's career has been crushed. Somehow, though, my former boss has been slippery enough to survive in her job. Said she didn't know that the other person was doing the unethical things. But I guess the higher ups didn't entirely believe her because they asked me about it and then they shut down her participation in an important project. At least now they know they can't trust any of her numbers, they are no longer making any decisions based upon her numbers, and she got completely removed from that big project.

What she was doing would be a very embarrassing scandal if it leaked out to the press and such a leak would cause collateral damage to innocent people. So, I do worry that she's hanging on somehow (probably because her husband, who works here also and is higher on the food chain, is liked and well respected) and that when eventually there is a change at the top she will start her con game all over again and the new administration will be duped.
Hopefully by then I'll be FIREd!

Edited a couple of years later:
Unethical manager above did eventually get fired for unethical behavior (not the good kind of FIREd.) A newly hired person complained in a big way, and that triggered an investigation where everyone who had transferred internally out of her group was interviewed. Despite her terrible behavior, I was still surprised she was sacked because my employer hardly ever lets anyone go from her type of position! All she had to do was act like a normal person and she could have collected that paycheck as long as she wanted. So, let that be a lesson: no, we don't need the crappy treatment, thanks to FU money, but sometimes you can even stay at the same employer and outplay, outwit, outlast your crappy manager who is making you want to quit!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 06:53:50 PM by Zamboni »

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #520 on: June 23, 2015, 08:00:37 AM »
I was working full time while finishing my grad degree. It came time for me to do my research, which required me to have some time off during normal business hours. I proposed three different scenarios to my boss, which would still have me complete my 40 hours a week, but allow me the time I needed during business hours to do my research. Each scenario I proposed was me with a "no." When I pressed for reasons why, my boss replied "I need you here during normal business hours, every day." Which was complete BS, because I was never busy the whole 40 hours a week anyway.

Here's where the FU story came in. During this same conversation, my boss had the cojones to say to me "And I don't think you can afford to not have a job."

I replied with "I'm giving you my two week notice. You'll have an official letter on your desk by the end of the day."

The look on his face was priceless.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #521 on: June 23, 2015, 10:40:08 AM »
Wow. Some people don't seem to understand basic business ethics at all.  Or, even if they just don't care about ethics or somehow twist around things enough in their mind to decide something clearly unethical is okay after all, they don't seem to understand that something like that WILL come back to bite them (some way, some how) in the future.

That reminds me: I went round and round with a previous boss who was like that. FU money and general principle kept me from going along with any of her shady schemes, and I found a position in a different department.

I forgot about the ethical side of it.  I used to work for a small software company where I was the only tech support person.  The higher ups trained the sales people to basically tell potential customers that our software would do whatever it is they wanted.  Then they were supposed to stall for 30 days during the money-back period, at which point it was too late for them and we could keep their money.  That plan backfired on them all the time when the customer would get me to help them with installation and would ask me about all these things the software was supposed to do and I would tell them that that was wrong, it absolutely cannot do that.  Then they'd go back angry to their sales guy and demand a refund.  My boss and his boss finally came to me very angry and basically told me I couldn't tell the customer the truth, I had to lie and back up the sales guy.  I just looked at them and said 'no'.  They weren't expecting that and fumbled and tried to tell me the same thing in a different way, which was met with another 'no'.  Repeat a couple times.  Finally they just went away, and I kept doing what I was doing.  Pretty sure most of the sales guys were desperate for a job, or they wouldn't have been working at that shitty company in the first place, which I imagine is why they went along with it.  They were mostly good people and knew it wasn't right.  Like others have said, FU money isn't always about quitting, sometimes it's even more important than that.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #522 on: June 23, 2015, 10:47:44 AM »
She threw the other person who did her bidding right under the bus! Basically that person's career has been crushed. Somehow, though, my former boss has been slippery enough to survive in her job. Said she didn't know that the other person was doing the unethical things.
That reminds me of the highly dramatized yet enlightening book about psychopaths, "Snakes In Suits". 

They don't hate people.  They hardly have any feelings at all for people.  They just see them as pawns to be moved around as needed to support their plans.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #523 on: June 23, 2015, 10:55:22 AM »
She threw the other person who did her bidding right under the bus! Basically that person's career has been crushed. Somehow, though, my former boss has been slippery enough to survive in her job. Said she didn't know that the other person was doing the unethical things.
That reminds me of the highly dramatized yet enlightening book about psychopaths, "Snakes In Suits". 

They don't hate people.  They hardly have any feelings at all for people.  They just see them as pawns to be moved around as needed to support their plans.
Sadly, I work with someone like that.  The way he treats people is terrible - anyone he sees as "beneath" him.  His boss tried to fire him for cause once and lay him off once, and the upper management saved him because he's of the same ethnic group they are and he's charismatic. He managed to suck up to them big time.

The funny thing is that mid-level management that didn't work closely with him don't understand why we all hate him.  He is incompetent.  He throws people under the bus for his mistakes, he takes credit for everyone else's work.  I mean, I'm still quite flabbergasted that our management doesn't realize it.

Our former manager (who tried to get rid of him) has positioned himself with FU money so that he says "I don't get what I want, I'm gone".

Wilson Hall

• Stubble
« Reply #524 on: June 24, 2015, 12:30:09 PM »
I was working full time while finishing my grad degree. It came time for me to do my research, which required me to have some time off during normal business hours. I proposed three different scenarios to my boss, which would still have me complete my 40 hours a week, but allow me the time I needed during business hours to do my research. Each scenario I proposed was me with a "no." When I pressed for reasons why, my boss replied "I need you here during normal business hours, every day." Which was complete BS, because I was never busy the whole 40 hours a week anyway.

Here's where the FU story came in. During this same conversation, my boss had the cojones to say to me "And I don't think you can afford to not have a job."

I replied with "I'm giving you my two week notice. You'll have an official letter on your desk by the end of the day."

The look on his face was priceless.

This is awesome.

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #525 on: August 31, 2015, 06:05:26 PM »
Would love to read more stories. I'm going to have FU money in 1.6 months and  am really looking forward to it.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #526 on: August 31, 2015, 07:57:28 PM »
I've got a story.

I started working for a really shitty company. No 401k, no health insurance, low pay, no separate vacation/sick days: all under a 10 day banner of "PTO." Required to work long hours, was micromanaged all day (chastised for "using the bathroom too much," being "too friendly," amongst other things), all the technology was dated, nothing got done, meanwhile the owner was off tooling around in his expensive cars and homes. The whole thing reminded me of that quote, "are you working to make your dreams come true, or someone else's dreams come true?" It was very clear to me that we were all working in substandard conditions for this ass.

All of my coworkers agreed that it was a shitty place. I kept talking about leaving and people would tell me, "you can't piss people off," "you'll never get hired anywhere else," "I could never leave, how will I pay for x,y,z." Keep in mind that this was a company that didn't pay a whole lot and offered marginal benefits.

I spent over a year being miserable. I had about $10-$12k in the bank. Finally, I was like, you know what - I am young, financially secure, I'm just going to chance it and leave and hope that things work out. I can't waste my one life that I've got in this hellhole. I've got an MA, I've had other jobs, if shit hits the fan I guess I can move back home. So I got the balls to leave. I did things the right way and gave 2 weeks notice rather than walking out with middle fingers raised (which is what I wanted to do!). Once I gave the two weeks notice the atmosphere totally changed in the office. All of my coworkers and boss were being really rude and condescending to me. Like, how dare you think you're better than this company?

4 days into my two weeks notice, I lost it. Completely went off the rails. I had had it - didn't care about the reference (which was probably going to be poor anyway given their attitude), didn't care about making nice - whatever. I threw my keys on my boss's desk and stormed out.

I got hired in a new place right away. Ironically I now work less hours and get paid more. Never looked back. ALL POSSIBLE THANKS TO FU MONEY!

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #527 on: September 02, 2015, 07:24:51 AM »

Current boss is 65 and twice divorced.  He has a slightly younger girlfriend he mentioned he had plans to marry the other day.  While I think he does enjoy her company, I'm convinced he is doing it mostly to have someone to care for him in his old age.  In the conversation he used terms like having his old age care/companionship problem "solved".  Psychopathy is a spectrum and this guy is out there for sure.   

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #528 on: September 02, 2015, 11:06:11 AM »
I've got a story.

I started working for a really shitty company. No 401k, no health insurance, low pay, no separate vacation/sick days: all under a 10 day banner of "PTO." Required to work long hours, was micromanaged all day (chastised for "using the bathroom too much," being "too friendly," amongst other things), all the technology was dated, nothing got done, meanwhile the owner was off tooling around in his expensive cars and homes. The whole thing reminded me of that quote, "are you working to make your dreams come true, or someone else's dreams come true?" It was very clear to me that we were all working in substandard conditions for this ass.

All of my coworkers agreed that it was a shitty place. I kept talking about leaving and people would tell me, "you can't piss people off," "you'll never get hired anywhere else," "I could never leave, how will I pay for x,y,z." Keep in mind that this was a company that didn't pay a whole lot and offered marginal benefits.

I spent over a year being miserable. I had about $10-$12k in the bank. Finally, I was like, you know what - I am young, financially secure, I'm just going to chance it and leave and hope that things work out. I can't waste my one life that I've got in this hellhole. I've got an MA, I've had other jobs, if shit hits the fan I guess I can move back home. So I got the balls to leave. I did things the right way and gave 2 weeks notice rather than walking out with middle fingers raised (which is what I wanted to do!). Once I gave the two weeks notice the atmosphere totally changed in the office. All of my coworkers and boss were being really rude and condescending to me. Like, how dare you think you're better than this company?

4 days into my two weeks notice, I lost it. Completely went off the rails. I had had it - didn't care about the reference (which was probably going to be poor anyway given their attitude), didn't care about making nice - whatever. I threw my keys on my boss's desk and stormed out.

I got hired in a new place right away. Ironically I now work less hours and get paid more. Never looked back. ALL POSSIBLE THANKS TO FU MONEY!
there's a company in town like that. I  shudder.  A couple of friends have worked there.  One former coworker still does.  He cries on his hour long drive home every day.

frugalecon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #529 on: September 03, 2015, 10:30:53 AM »
I've got a story.

there's a company in town like that. I  shudder.  A couple of friends have worked there. One former coworker still does.  He cries on his hour long drive home every day.

I would worry about what that level of emotional distress was doing to my physical health. Not only would you be giving up years of your life, but you are probably also on average shortening your life.

Josiecat

• Bristles
« Reply #530 on: September 03, 2015, 10:54:10 AM »
there's a company in town like that. I  shudder.  A couple of friends have worked there. One former coworker still does.  He cries on his hour long drive home every day.

This is so ridiculous.  Get another f-ing job.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #531 on: September 03, 2015, 11:00:42 AM »
I'm coming up on a major crossroads in my career/at my company. I've been reluctant to post details about it here in case there are any closet mustachians in my real life that know who I am or might have ways of figuring it out.

Long story short, I've built a nice FU stache, and plan to double it before this crossroads occurs in a few years. It will be nice to have the option to take the road less traveled if I feel the need.

Major crossroads! PM Sent...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 11:10:20 AM by mefla »

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #532 on: September 03, 2015, 11:09:05 AM »

Or man up and don't cry like a little bitch.  Unless your job is something like hospice nurse for sick kids or putting dogs down, why the hell are you CRYING at work? 

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #533 on: September 03, 2015, 11:19:44 AM »

Or man up and don't cry like a little bitch.  Unless your job is something like hospice nurse for sick kids or putting dogs down, why the hell are you CRYING at work?

Crying on the drive home.

You really seem to be mad at the world lately. Everything ok?

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #534 on: September 03, 2015, 11:37:46 AM »
When I was a little younger, dumber and poorer in business we used to chase any reasonable prospect and bid for their business.

Some of the purchasing folks were quite adept at setting up what they considered competitive bidding scenarios where they could compare "apples to apples" in order to get the lowest price possible.   Then as soon as you submit your proposal all communication ceases and they hide from you (unless you are low bid, which is unlikely), and a week or two later you get the Dear John letter telling you thanks for your time, we're going with brand X.   Some buyers are also real hard cases on their terms of doing business; slow pay, damage and delays clauses, give you all the risk, etc.

Now days a sale or two isn't going to make us or break us, so when they start going down the "competitive bidding, apples to apples" road, we frequently just politely explain to them that we are not interested in doing business in this manner and walk away.  Have also turned down quite a bit of business that we didn't like the contract terms on, or made adjustments to the terms.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #535 on: September 03, 2015, 11:43:30 AM »

I'm good, living the dream, going on my 17th year in the world not crying at work. 

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #536 on: September 03, 2015, 11:46:36 AM »

I'm good, living the dream, going on my 17th year in the world not crying at work.

Why don't you start your first of not judging people, and trying a little sympathy? Or if not that, just not saying anything?

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #537 on: September 03, 2015, 12:00:44 PM »

Men don't cry?  Or if they do, they're a little bitch?  Jeez, I'm glad I don't care about my machismo like this.  Seems like a terrible way to view life and I certainly wouldn't want to be boxed in by perceptions of how I'm supposed to act just because I'm male.  It's almost if people have different emotional outlets, even men!

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #538 on: September 03, 2015, 12:06:34 PM »

Men don't cry?  Or if they do, they're a little bitch?

If it's over something as insignificant as something at work, correct. 

MOD NOTE: There have been several complaints on this line of threads. I could go through with a big-strike through in red and repaint the thread landscape - but I'm not going to. There is an opportunity here for growth, connection and understanding.

First - I will ask you if these belittling and degrading comments add to the kind of community we want to encourage.
Second - Just today, a friend of mine posted this: 18 Inspiring Men Share What Being Vulnerable Means To Them. As he launches his mission to get these types of conversations started:http://heartmen.net/vulnerable/

I hope you will check it out and come back to posting with a little more empathy, understanding and, yes, vulnerability.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 01:19:13 PM by swick »

No Name Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #539 on: September 03, 2015, 12:40:49 PM »
...and I watched a co-worker tell the bean counters to go fuck off within the last few days.

Damn it was good.  OK, so this guy was going to retire anyways in the next year or two.  But we're in a business that requires 1/10th hour charging to the various contracts.  This guy is, well, was, being run ragged with 20 different contracts to charge to.  The asshats in bean counting dinged him for supposedly not charging correctly.  Yeah, bullshit.  I've never seen anyone try his level best in a bullshit system.  Anyways, they tagged him for remedial training with his manager.  He sends out his retirement notice - first person on the e-mail is the asshat bean counter in the far off city, 2nd is his manager.

I think Shakespeare was wrong in his assessment.  The first thing we should do is kill all the fucking bean counting accountants.  THEN kill all the lawyers.

[No, no I'm not at all bitter about the bullshit from these fucking, moronic MBA bullshit spewing bean counting penny-wise, million dollar foolish idiots that don't know how to run a company.  They're driving it into the ground - this great American Success Story that was built by engineers and manufacturing workers].

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #540 on: September 03, 2015, 12:46:03 PM »
...and I watched a co-worker tell the bean counters to go fuck off within the last few days.

Damn it was good.  OK, so this guy was going to retire anyways in the next year or two.  But we're in a business that requires 1/10th hour charging to the various contracts.  This guy is, well, was, being run ragged with 20 different contracts to charge to.  The asshats in bean counting dinged him for supposedly not charging correctly.  Yeah, bullshit.  I've never seen anyone try his level best in a bullshit system.  Anyways, they tagged him for remedial training with his manager.  He sends out his retirement notice - first person on the e-mail is the asshat bean counter in the far off city, 2nd is his manager.

I think Shakespeare was wrong in his assessment.  The first thing we should do is kill all the fucking bean counting accountants.  THEN kill all the lawyers.

[No, no I'm not at all bitter about the bullshit from these fucking, moronic MBA bullshit spewing bean counting penny-wise, million dollar foolish idiots that don't know how to run a company.  They're driving it into the ground - this great American Success Story that was built by engineers and manufacturing workers].
Heh. Reminds me, we have a hiring freeze right now because the parent company of my division acquired yet another company.  We're still not at the level of staff we should have, yet we're bringing on new customers left and right. But...omg no money because we bought something else, guess we'll leave all the employees at their 150% workload for another few months!

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #541 on: September 03, 2015, 12:52:55 PM »

It's all fun and games until a customer requests an audit of your charges and can find errors and starts disputing the charges, drags you to court, etc etc.  Or God forbid it's a gov't contract you've fucked up on.  Us bean counters aren't making up this shit because we like fucking with people, you know.

Shane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #542 on: September 03, 2015, 01:05:12 PM »
Back on topic here...

On a Monday morning this June I went into work at my job of 10+ years. I was in a good mood and didn't have any intentions of quitting. During the morning meeting something just set me off, and I spoke up in front of everyone and told them I thought that what our organization was doing was WRONG, IMMORAL, and that we should stop! Everyone's jaws just dropped. One of the managers in the meeting said, "Well, I don't think that one of us should be saying things like that. We all need to be on the same page." My supervisor chimed in and just basically repeated the company policy and told everyone that that's what we would be following.

When we walked out of the meeting my supervisor acted like nothing had happened. He gave me a list of a couple of routine things he wanted me to do that day, and I nodded my head and said okay. As soon as my supervisor walked away I  loaded all of my personal things into a vehicle, went back inside, gave everyone a big hug and wished them all a good life. Apparently no one realized I was quitting at the time. They all just thought I was apologizing for my outburst or not being a team player, or something.

When I walked back outside to the parking lot my supervisor was there. I walked up to him, shook his hand and said, "I'm going home." He was like, "What do you mean? Are you sick?" I said, "No, I'm just over it. I've got better things to do with my time. I don't want to be part of this anymore. I'm leaving." I hopped in the car and drove away. I could see my supervisor in the rear view mirror standing there with his jaw dropped.

At our main office I spent about an hour explaining to our director why I was leaving and why I didn't agree with our organization's policies. She was really nice and asked me to reconsider and stay. She proposed various scenarios that might allow me to stay on and continue working, but by that point I was really beyond wanting to continue working for the organization. I just told her I was sorry and that I was ready to move on.

Our director seemed really concerned that I was making an irresponsible, rash decision. She kept reminding me that I needed to think of my wife (SAHM) and young daughter and that I needed to have a job. I explained to her calmly that I had investments and savings, and that we would be fine. I told her that by my calculations my family and I should be able to live comfortably off of our investments indefinitely. At some point, I may choose to take another job or maybe start a business that interests me, but I shouldn't have to. At that point, the director got kind of quiet, and she said, "Wow, I wish I could do that. If I could, I'd quit too."

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #543 on: September 03, 2015, 01:34:48 PM »
Back on topic here...

On a Monday morning this June I went into work at my job of 10+ years. I was in a good mood and didn't have any intentions of quitting. During the morning meeting something just set me off, and I spoke up in front of everyone and told them I thought that what our organization was doing was WRONG, IMMORAL, and that we should stop! Everyone's jaws just dropped. One of the managers in the meeting said, "Well, I don't think that one of us should be saying things like that. We all need to be on the same page." My supervisor chimed in and just basically repeated the company policy and told everyone that that's what we would be following.

When we walked out of the meeting my supervisor acted like nothing had happened. He gave me a list of a couple of routine things he wanted me to do that day, and I nodded my head and said okay. As soon as my supervisor walked away I  loaded all of my personal things into a vehicle, went back inside, gave everyone a big hug and wished them all a good life. Apparently no one realized I was quitting at the time. They all just thought I was apologizing for my outburst or not being a team player, or something.

When I walked back outside to the parking lot my supervisor was there. I walked up to him, shook his hand and said, "I'm going home." He was like, "What do you mean? Are you sick?" I said, "No, I'm just over it. I've got better things to do with my time. I don't want to be part of this anymore. I'm leaving." I hopped in the car and drove away. I could see my supervisor in the rear view mirror standing there with his jaw dropped.

At our main office I spent about an hour explaining to our director why I was leaving and why I didn't agree with our organization's policies. She was really nice and asked me to reconsider and stay. She proposed various scenarios that might allow me to stay on and continue working, but by that point I was really beyond wanting to continue working for the organization. I just told her I was sorry and that I was ready to move on.

Our director seemed really concerned that I was making an irresponsible, rash decision. She kept reminding me that I needed to think of my wife (SAHM) and young daughter and that I needed to have a job. I explained to her calmly that I had investments and savings, and that we would be fine. I told her that by my calculations my family and I should be able to live comfortably off of our investments indefinitely. At some point, I may choose to take another job or maybe start a business that interests me, but I shouldn't have to. At that point, the director got kind of quiet, and she said, "Wow, I wish I could do that. If I could, I'd quit too."

That is fucking awesome

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #544 on: September 03, 2015, 01:45:41 PM »
What was the wrong immoral thing?

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #545 on: September 03, 2015, 01:50:37 PM »

Yes!  Two of my former coworkers were fired from there for just "not getting along/ not a good fit" (yeah, they weren't assholes?)

Anyway, one of them is back, and she said "I told him to leave.  Please find another job.  It's not worth it."

FWIW, there aren't a ton of jobs in town, and I think he has a family.  But yes, he needs to get looking.

I interviewed at the company and got an offer right then (it was very informal interview).  So many red flags (including, they were firing my friend at the time I was interviewing).  They said "we aren't sure why we have a hard time hiring people "like you.  I mean, well, you know..." (Of middle-ages, meaning mid-30s to mid-50s.)  They have a lot of 20 somethings and some 55+ people.

Well, gee, crappy pay, bad benefits, bad place to live, and you start people with 15 days of PTO (including sick time, vacation, and holidays).  15 days?  I get 34 days right now.  15 days wouldn't even cover half the school days off.  People with kids aren't going to do it unless they are desperate.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #546 on: September 03, 2015, 01:52:00 PM »

Yeah, on the way home.

Grown men putting you down, yelling at you for being "fucking stupid" all day, emotional abuse?  Tip of the iceberg, or so my friends say.

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #547 on: September 03, 2015, 01:55:36 PM »
Back on topic here...

Congratulations!

http://giphy.com/gifs/MUeQeEQaDCjE4/html5

« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 02:00:16 PM by G-dog »

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #548 on: September 03, 2015, 02:11:31 PM »
Back on topic here...

Nice!  Sounds like you may have some things to share in the job secrets thread! (Sorry, but I can't seem to find it at the moment...)

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #549 on: September 03, 2015, 02:39:42 PM »
Nice!  Sounds like you may have some things to share in the job secrets thread! (Sorry, but I can't seem to find it at the moment...)

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/post-secrets-you-know-from-your-previouscurrent-jobs/

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!