Author Topic: Epic FU money stories  (Read 2794854 times)

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
Re: Epic FU money stories
« Reply #400 on: December 10, 2014, 04:42:31 PM »
Unless you were kidnapped and forced into slave labor, an bad employment contract is by your choice and by your fault to a great extent. Staying longer than you like and sacrificing your ethics and work morale just for the paycheck (or maybe for your children's sake or what not) demonstrates that you were probably not worth hiring in the first place.
When I was a college student working as a waitress, I thought it was so much fun!  I couldn't understand how or why the older servers had such negative attitudes or allowed the random bad customer to get under their skin.  Then I realized that the difference in attitudes was because I had choices in my life.  I was in college, working toward any number of better opportunities.  The older servers were single moms or people with no education, struggling to pay the rent or a kid's medical bill.  Not a lot of choice for them. 
While I'm sure you treat your employees with respect and dignity, not everyone does.  And it often seems that those who supervise the people with fewer choices are sometimes complete jerks. 

As I write this, I am remembering a certain Labor Day weekend where the restaurant manager tried to strong-arm me into working a single shift in the middle of the weekend, despite me giving notice weeks in advance that I wouldn't work that weekend.  I was able to say "no thanks" with the knowledge that it could get me sacked.  It didn't, but it did force the lady with kids to cancel her plans to cover the shifts.

Education or savings or plans = options=choice
This is true for a lot of other, non-employment related things. It's a whole mindset and explains why many members of this board think that tinkering with their cars or going camping is fun.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #401 on: December 10, 2014, 08:10:44 PM »
...--it's not worth any professional consequences and it's not as important to me to prove my rightness by being mean.

It's not mean if it was truthful. That you had the position to say it (because you were skipping out the next day) was golden. Your colleague will forever remember that.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #402 on: December 12, 2014, 12:07:16 PM »
I looked him in the eye and stated: You're a Dick.
I've been daydreaming about doing this all week long. I said it out loud about 100 times in my car.  problem is that I'm getting to my goal so much faster with this job than I would with another, so I'm going to have to suck it up a few more years.
I also started thinking that if I did this in front of a few witnesses and the guy really was being a dick, I bet he wouldn't say anything to get me fired either. If his behavior were called into question, I'm guessing he would be mortified for other people to know how he behaves. Anyway, this is my new exit strategy once the house is paid off. 
Thanks for making my day! 

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #403 on: December 12, 2014, 08:00:37 PM »
"And what hurts is the steadily diminishing humanity of those fighting to hold jobs they don’t want but fear the alternative worse. People simply empty out. They are bodies with fearful and obedient minds. The color leaves the eye. The voice becomes ugly. And the body. The hair. The fingernails. The shoes. Everything does.

As a young man I could not believe that people could give their lives over to those conditions. As an old man, I still can’t believe it. What do they do it for? Sex? TV? An automobile on monthly payments? Or children? Children who are just going to do the same things that they did?

Early on, when I was quite young and going from job to job I was foolish enough to sometimes speak to my fellow workers: “Hey, the boss can come in here at any moment and lay all of us off, just like that, don’t you realize that?”

They would just look at me. I was posing something that they didn’t want to enter their minds.

Now in industry, there are vast layoffs (steel mills dead, technical changes in other factors of the work place). They are layed off by the hundreds of thousands and their faces are stunned:

“I put in 35 years…”

“It ain’t right…”

“I don’t know what to do…”

They never pay the slaves enough so they can get free, just enough so they can stay alive and come back to work. I could see all this. Why couldn’t they? I figured the park bench was just as good or being a barfly was just as good. Why not get there first before they put me there? Why wait?

I just wrote in disgust against it all, it was a relief to get the shit out of my system. And now that I’m here, a so-called professional writer, after giving the first 50 years away, I’ve found out that there are other disgusts beyond the system.

I remember once, working as a packer in this lighting fixture company, one of the packers suddenly said: “I’ll never be free!”

One of the bosses was walking by (his name was Morrie) and he let out this delicious cackle of a laugh, enjoying the fact that this fellow was trapped for life."

Bukowski

nancyjnelson

• Stubble
« Reply #404 on: December 14, 2014, 12:32:35 PM »
Not an epic FU story - more like frugal habits = financial choices.  I worked for the Dept of State as a Foreign Service officer and really liked my job.  Although I was frequently transferred, I knew that if I didn't like either my supervisor or colleagues, either they or I would be moving on within a couple of years.  Then the world changed and the number of dangerous, unaccompanied tours soared.  The Dept instituted a policy of "fair-share" so that all of us would share the burden of these tours (there aren't many of us - there are fewer FSOs worldwide than full-time musicians with the U.S. Army bands).  I agreed with the policy, but I was a single mother with no one with whom I could have left my daughter.  Boarding school would have been provided, but all kids are different - and mine wouldn't have done well in that environment.  So, having reached the age of 50 with 25 years in, I retired.

My colleagues were taken aback when I told them I didn't plan on getting a full-time job afterwards (pension at age 50 is drastically reduced so most early "retirees" have another full-time job lined up before they take the plunge).  How was I going to survive?  This is where my frugal habits saved me.  While my colleagues had purchased nice houses in the suburbs when they started their careers, I had bought an 850 sq ft fixer-upper within a 5 minute walk to the metro and only one stop to DC.  In addition to saving time (I spent about 35 minutes a day commuting on public transport - my colleagues spent on average 2 1/2 hours), it saved money - $1.40 per trip, vs over $4.00.  When the real estate situation improved, I didn't upgrade.  I also didn't upgrade my 2-dr Toyota despite some urging (a couple of different colleagues actually took me aside and told me that my dented, 17 year old car wasn't part of the image that the U.S. Embassy wanted to project).

When I retired, I sold my house for triple for what I paid for it, moved to the midwest closer to my relatives, and bought a house for cash.  A year later I am working on my own web-based business - it doesn't make any money yet, but I can afford to do what I want.  It's a great feeling. 
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 12:35:03 PM by nancyjnelson »

Guesl982374

• Bristles
« Reply #405 on: December 15, 2014, 02:48:04 PM »
Not an epic FU story - more like frugal habits = financial choices.  I worked for the Dept of State as a Foreign Service officer and really liked my job.  Although I was frequently transferred, I knew that if I didn't like either my supervisor or colleagues, either they or I would be moving on within a couple of years.  Then the world changed and the number of dangerous, unaccompanied tours soared.  The Dept instituted a policy of "fair-share" so that all of us would share the burden of these tours (there aren't many of us - there are fewer FSOs worldwide than full-time musicians with the U.S. Army bands).  I agreed with the policy, but I was a single mother with no one with whom I could have left my daughter.  Boarding school would have been provided, but all kids are different - and mine wouldn't have done well in that environment.  So, having reached the age of 50 with 25 years in, I retired.

My colleagues were taken aback when I told them I didn't plan on getting a full-time job afterwards (pension at age 50 is drastically reduced so most early "retirees" have another full-time job lined up before they take the plunge).  How was I going to survive?  This is where my frugal habits saved me.  While my colleagues had purchased nice houses in the suburbs when they started their careers, I had bought an 850 sq ft fixer-upper within a 5 minute walk to the metro and only one stop to DC.  In addition to saving time (I spent about 35 minutes a day commuting on public transport - my colleagues spent on average 2 1/2 hours), it saved money - $1.40 per trip, vs over $4.00.  When the real estate situation improved, I didn't upgrade.  I also didn't upgrade my 2-dr Toyota despite some urging (a couple of different colleagues actually took me aside and told me that my dented, 17 year old car wasn't part of the image that the U.S. Embassy wanted to project).

When I retired, I sold my house for triple for what I paid for it, moved to the midwest closer to my relatives, and bought a house for cash.  A year later I am working on my own web-based business - it doesn't make any money yet, but I can afford to do what I want.  It's a great feeling.

Outstanding. I love it.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #406 on: December 15, 2014, 03:06:40 PM »
Not an epic FU story - more like frugal habits = financial choices.

Yep good example, FU ability isn't just about money.  It's about being aware you have options, having money being just one of the things that can provide you with an option.  Last time I job searched I realized how many options I have.  Having enough money to tide me over for a bit during a job search + knowing it wouldn't take that long to find something decent if I had to = 'FU money'.

Some peoples FU money limit is $0 because they know they can always get another job, even if it's a different job, which seems to be a freeing mindset that I'm envious of.

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #407 on: December 16, 2014, 09:46:26 AM »
Yep good example, FU ability isn't just about money.  It's about being aware you have options, having money being just one of the things that can provide you with an option.  Last time I job searched I realized how many options I have.  Having enough money to tide me over for a bit during a job search + knowing it wouldn't take that long to find something decent if I had to = 'FU money'.

Some peoples FU money limit is $0 because they know they can always get another job, even if it's a different job, which seems to be a freeing mindset that I'm envious of.

I agree with this assessment. I'm a big fan of "keep looking for better jobs constantly. There will eventually be something much better, you just have to be ready when it comes." I moved jobs a lot. I'd usually stick around for a year but because I had been looking for the whole year I had a very good idea of who was hiring and what I was worth. Having another job is freeing in the same way FU money is because it allows you to say "nope, you haven't been treating me the way I want to be treated, so I'm leaving."

When I found my current job (which I'm REALLY happy with) and gave notice at the old one, I was able to say: "you dropped the Employee Stock Purchase Plan this year which is worth over $10k per year to me. Without a big salary increase, you aren't that competitive anymore. Oh and the new company lets me work from home full time." Probably a slightly different feeling than true FU money, but having another job lined up gives you a lot of the same freedom.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #408 on: December 16, 2014, 10:54:18 AM »
My “FU” story really isn’t much of one, and it hasn’t been completed yet. I accepted a position with a different company—more money, for the most part better benefits, and hopefully a better situation in terms of the work environment. I’m only giving a week of notice because I need to be employed on the 1st of the year—I get 4 extra days of vacation paid out, and the 401k match. I’m sorely tempted to leave sooner, or take a sick day or two in that week, but I don’t want to burn any bridges. I cannot wait to get out of here though, and if they start treating me poorly during that last week, I’ll just walk out. I’ll have everything out of my desk by then, so I hope that they just tell me to leave that day (they’d have to pay me through the date I give).

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #409 on: December 17, 2014, 01:03:22 PM »
My “FU” story really isn’t much of one, and it hasn’t been completed yet. I accepted a position with a different company—more money, for the most part better benefits, and hopefully a better situation in terms of the work environment. I’m only giving a week of notice because I need to be employed on the 1st of the year—I get 4 extra days of vacation paid out, and the 401k match. I’m sorely tempted to leave sooner, or take a sick day or two in that week, but I don’t want to burn any bridges. I cannot wait to get out of here though, and if they start treating me poorly during that last week, I’ll just walk out. I’ll have everything out of my desk by then, so I hope that they just tell me to leave that day (they’d have to pay me through the date I give).

If you know now, why not give notice now?  That'd make 2 weeks notice (which is fairly standard) rather than 1 and help to not burn bridges as you say you don't wish to do?

Holyoak

• Bristles
« Reply #410 on: December 17, 2014, 01:45:29 PM »
FU money isn't so you can treat your employer poorly, it's so you don't have to put up with your employer treating YOU poorly.  Before getting into personal finance I was in debt and broke feeling stuck working for a shitty company and a shitty boss.

Yep, 100%.  How about this for a company and boss; he even signed it:

My FU money story was I was getting sick of one of the pilots being a total dick to me, and the other workers...  Rolling eyes, racial/religious comments, completely crap attitude and treatment to us 'lessers" who service/fuel the aircraft.  I did the gig to stay busy, and was fully FI at the time. One day I walked right up to him with nearly every employee present, and told him:

"You're a fucking punk", got the "what did you say", to which I repeated the same, and the boss/owner told me to go home and not return.  I did just that, filed and won my unemployment comp claim, despite the owner/boss stating to the UC committee that he felt I was going to punch a-hole and had witnesses (total lie, playing I got nothing better than to pull the workplace violence card).  Funny too when I reported my initial claim, I was flatly denied because it showed I had two entire quarters of no wages...  Seems douchebag was not reporting my earnings to the state!!!  What a dishonest asshat, and I hope they/IRS nailed him for it.

How sweet it felt to draw a $92/week unemployment check, knowing it made a-holes head explode.

Bikeguy

• Stubble
« Reply #411 on: December 17, 2014, 04:59:19 PM »

so I hope that they just tell me to leave that day (they’d have to pay me through the date I give).

I don't think so.   Had a coworker give two weeks notice before Christmas.   You had to work the first day of the next year to get profit sharing.   He said he was quitting Jan 2.  Got a certified letter stating" Thanks for letting us know you want to quit.   Your last day is Dec 23".  Cost him $17K.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #412 on: December 18, 2014, 06:20:07 AM »

If you know now, why not give notice now?  That'd make 2 weeks notice (which is fairly standard) rather than 1 and help to not burn bridges as you say you don't wish to do?

If I give 2 weeks now, they could release me on December 30th and I'd be out my 401k match and 4 more days of accrued vacation. That amounts to a little more than I'd like to kiss goodbye; especially since I don't expect to ever come back here (although wouldn't be against it). I have to look out for myself first. Basically, this:

so I hope that they just tell me to leave that day (they’d have to pay me through the date I give).

I don't think so.   Had a coworker give two weeks notice before Christmas.   You had to work the first day of the next year to get profit sharing.   He said he was quitting Jan 2.  Got a certified letter stating" Thanks for letting us know you want to quit.   Your last day is Dec 23".  Cost him $17K.

But for that point, it is in our HR manual that if we resign and they have us leave earlier, they are to pay us for either 2 weeks or through the date we give, whichever is less.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 06:21:59 AM by mtn »

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #413 on: December 18, 2014, 07:07:19 AM »
If I give 2 weeks now, they could release me on December 30th and I'd be out my 401k match and 4 more days of accrued vacation. That amounts to a little more than I'd like to kiss goodbye; especially since I don't expect to ever come back here (although wouldn't be against it). I have to look out for myself first.

It's very odd that you would get 4 days accrued based on just one more week of work.  Generally one accrues vacation at a steady rate throughout the year.

In my industry people talk, so giving only a week of notice would be a CLM overall, not just if you wanted to go back to the original company.  Really think this through.

But for that point, it is in our HR manual that if we resign and they have us leave earlier, they are to pay us for either 2 weeks or through the date we give, whichever is less.
[/quote]

In almost every region you need to be paid out the two weeks (or whatever your minimum notice is), but they have absolutely no reason to pay you out a bonus after you have said you are leaving, even if it was previously established you'd be getting one.  Salary and bonus/profit sharing are two very separate things.  Make sure any bonus you're expecting is dropped into your account before you give notice.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #414 on: December 18, 2014, 07:14:15 AM »
If I give 2 weeks now, they could release me on December 30th and I'd be out my 401k match and 4 more days of accrued vacation. That amounts to a little more than I'd like to kiss goodbye; especially since I don't expect to ever come back here (although wouldn't be against it). I have to look out for myself first.

It's very odd that you would get 4 days accrued based on just one more week of work.  Generally one accrues vacation at a steady rate throughout the year.

In my industry people talk, so giving only a week of notice would be a CLM overall, not just if you wanted to go back to the original company.  Really think this through.

In almost every region you need to be paid out the two weeks (or whatever your minimum notice is), but they have absolutely no reason to pay you out a bonus after you have said you are leaving, even if it was previously established you'd be getting one.  Salary and bonus/profit sharing are two very separate things.  Make sure any bonus you're expecting is dropped into your account before you give notice.

And this is why if I get a new job I won't be giving notice until Jan 1.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 07:51:11 AM by Philociraptor »

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #415 on: December 18, 2014, 07:47:21 AM »

[/quote]

I think you're missing/mis-interpretting some of this:
  • My new job starts January 12. My last day at my current job will be January 9, unless they tell me to leave earlier.
  • If they tell me to leave earlier, they have to pay me what I would have earned for either a. Two Weeks, or b. through the date I gave. This is in the HR manual, their own policy.
  • If I gave them a 2 week notice, they could show me the door on December 30th and I would be paid through January 9th. I would not get my 401k match, nor would I get my accrued vacation.
  • My accrued vacation is actually 1 day of accrued vacation, and 3 floating Holidays that are disperssed on the 1st. These are mine, and I will be paid for them, again, per the HR manual.
  • There will be no bonus. I am missing that by a few months.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #416 on: December 18, 2014, 12:52:26 PM »
She demanded two weeks notice, which still included me missing class to come to work.  I said, nope!  I could not believe that I didn't get fired for mouthing off to her.

Wow, she was a moron.  I think my response to that would have been "Okay, you drive a hard bargain, M'am, so even though I just quit, my last day will actually be two weeks from today instead of tonight.  And you are right:  I will be here on Tuesdays as well."  Then I would just have never come back. 

I find myself explaining the concept of "Nobody HAS TO do ANYTHING when it comes to a job" to people on a regular basis.  We've had more than one person just stop showing up, or email a resignation letter while they are on vacation (with the last day of work conveniently falling on a future date that they are still on vacation), or agree to take on a big project and then turn around and put an "I resign effective immediately" letter under the boss's door after hours, yet somehow the illusion that people have to keep coming into the office until they are given permission to leave persists.

I felt bad about my situation at my previous company but it's similar to this. Terrible morale, tough work that requires a lot of off-shift. No opportunities to move up whatsoever. Layoffs abound and all the top performers left to mop up. Plus there were tons of reorganizations (I went from one manager in 3.5 years to have that one plus 3 new ones in one year, and not due to performance). My wife got an internship in another state and once she accepted, I started looking. We've moved, I got a job before her start time, I got a bigger pay increase than I've ever had, and I'm doing much more satisfying work with a better schedule.

I did kind of blame my wife for it all, but the thing that made it tough was I got the offer 2 weeks after a round of layoffs. If I knew I was going to get it, I could have left, taken a severance, and saved someone else from getting laid off. But I guess that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #417 on: December 19, 2014, 12:14:56 PM »
Dear Navy SEAL,

I am a happily married man with a warm and loving wife who is also my best friend. We've been together for 17 years and couldn't be happier. But lately she says she wants separate beds. I'm reeling! We're barely in our 40s, and in my mind separate sleeping is for seniors. Am I making too much of this? Help!

—Anxious In Andersonville

While larger rounds incapacitate a target more reliably than the smaller 5.56, they are also much heavier to hump over the mountains. Being able to lay down a more ferocious volume of fire can be well worth the decrease in stopping power, especially when you have encountered a frisky opponent. Utilize your SAW gunner to suppress incoming fire, while your assault team maneuvers to better overrun the enemy position. If bounding proves difficult, remember, 5.56 can penetrate cover like Swiss cheese, although you will still be prudent to continuously engage targets until all teams have swept the objective area.

Also, utilizing air and artillery support can shorten the effort, along with conserving your ammo. Definitely remember to sweep the kill zone afterward to eliminate survivors or take captives, mission depending. Once area is swept and the reports sent up, hopefully you can CM.

Or maybe you snore/steal blankets/thrash around/something else equally annoying in your sleep and she's tired of it.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #418 on: December 19, 2014, 12:25:11 PM »
Dear Navy SEAL,

I am a happily married man with a warm and loving wife who is also my best friend. We've been together for 17 years and couldn't be happier. But lately she says she wants separate beds. I'm reeling! We're barely in our 40s, and in my mind separate sleeping is for seniors. Am I making too much of this? Help!

While larger rounds incapacitate a target more reliably than the smaller 5.56, they are also much heavier to hump over the mountains. Being able to lay down a more ferocious volume of fire can be well worth the decrease in stopping power, especially when you have encountered a frisky opponent. Utilize your SAW gunner to suppress incoming fire, while your assault team maneuvers to better overrun the enemy position. If bounding proves difficult, remember, 5.56 can penetrate cover like Swiss cheese, although you will still be prudent to continuously engage targets until all teams have swept the objective area.

Also, utilizing air and artillery support can shorten the effort, along with conserving your ammo. Definitely remember to sweep the kill zone afterward to eliminate survivors or take captives, mission depending. Once area is swept and the reports sent up, hopefully you can CM.

Or maybe you snore/steal blankets/thrash around/something else equally annoying in your sleep and she's tired of it.

I've been pitching the separate beds idea for awhile but my wife won't go for it.  It's nice to have that special someone there...but it definitely lowers my quality of sleep.  A nice comfortable bed to myself is so much better, and I sleep so much better when I am alone. 

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #419 on: December 19, 2014, 01:07:28 PM »
Dear Navy SEAL,

I've been pitching the separate beds idea for awhile but my wife won't go for it.  It's nice to have that special someone there...but it definitely lowers my quality of sleep.  A nice comfortable bed to myself is so much better, and I sleep so much better when I am alone.

Have you tried separate blankets? It helps a lot.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #420 on: December 19, 2014, 01:19:42 PM »
Dear Navy SEAL,

Have you tried separate blankets? It helps a lot.

I know multiple happy couples, various ages, that always or frequently have separate beds. One couple has 2 twin beds pushed up against each other, separate sheets/blankets. Works great for them - one bed is soft, the other is hard as a rock apparently.

Bikeguy

• Stubble
« Reply #421 on: December 19, 2014, 02:07:32 PM »

In my industry,  vacation is accrued quarterly.   Sounds like the same policy.

jordanread

« Reply #422 on: December 19, 2014, 02:10:06 PM »

In my industry,  vacation is accrued quarterly.   Sounds like the same policy.

Ah, but vacation is different from Floating Holidays. That's what I get. First of the year, 4 days...the remaining 15 days get accrued over the year.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #423 on: December 20, 2014, 06:18:49 AM »
Ah, but vacation is different from Floating Holidays. That's what I get. First of the year, 4 days...the remaining 15 days get accrued over the year.

And they pay you out for floating holidays?  I thought that was the point of companies doing floating holidays, that they weren't bound by vacation day rules.  (I've never worked at a place that had floating holidays)

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #424 on: December 20, 2014, 08:37:55 AM »

And they pay you out for floating holidays?  I thought that was the point of companies doing floating holidays, that they weren't bound by vacation day rules.  (I've never worked at a place that had floating holidays)

At my company the floating holidays are just arbitrary days during the year that the company has designated a day off that wouldn't otherwise be considered a holiday. This is usually used to give us a longer weekend when a normal single day holiday lands on a Tuesday or Thursday. For example, we always get January 1st off, but for 2015 we are also getting a floating holiday on January 2nd so that we don't have to come in on just one day before the weekend.

jordanread

« Reply #425 on: December 20, 2014, 10:36:13 AM »

At my company the floating holidays are just arbitrary days during the year that the company has designated a day off that wouldn't otherwise be considered a holiday. This is usually used to give us a longer weekend when a normal single day holiday lands on a Tuesday or Thursday. For example, we always get January 1st off, but for 2015 we are also getting a floating holiday on January 2nd so that we don't have to come in on just one day before the weekend.
Every place I've had floating holidays they are just like vacation days. They are paid, and can be scheduled whenever. And are bought back the same way when you quit.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 10:53:55 AM by jordanread »

Kansas Beachbum

• Stubble
« Reply #426 on: December 21, 2014, 08:02:52 AM »
The Mrs. KBB and I both, without hesitation, jumped on a voluntary separation offer put out by our employer...this is the one where they take volunteers before laying off several hundred more who didn't volunteer to get to "the number" they need.  A combination of a pretty generous separation package and a substantial stache made this a no brainer decision for us.  No hard feelings towards the company as it has been very good to us over the years, just time to move on...and having the resources put back that we do made this entirely a lifestyle decision as opposed to a financial one.  Happily unemployed for a couple weeks now.  Cheers all!

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #427 on: December 21, 2014, 10:50:50 AM »
I'll reiterate the story of a poster from Early-Retirement.org about 8-10 years ago.

He'd been pursuing financial independence for years, and was putting the finishing touches on his plan.  He'd tried to discuss FI with his co-workers years before but they weren't receptive and he'd since kept it all a secret.  I don't think he had a pension but he'd saved diligently in his company 401(k) and his IRA and he had everything ready to go.  He'd already contributed to the stereotypical thread on "How much notice should I give when I quit my job?" and had concluded that he only owed his employer the absolute minimum required by the HR rules.  He'd already prepped his turnover checklist and his training handbook, although he wasn't particularly worried about a contact relief.  He'd even figured out how best to replicate his company-issued laptop (on the cheap) so that he'd start ER with familiar computer gear.

Just a few days before he was ready to give notice, the company had a round of "surprise" layoffs.  (Surprise to most of the employees, not so surprising to most of management.)  He was met at the door by an HR rep, escorted to his boss' office, given the "bad" news, and then escorted to clean out his desk.  He was given a generous severance package and even told that he could keep his company-issued laptop.  He was outta there before lunch.

He said the hardest part of the layoff was keeping a straight face and taking it all seriously.  Inside, of course, he was doing the engineer's happy dance...

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #428 on: December 22, 2014, 01:06:01 PM »
I'll reiterate the story of a poster from Early-Retirement.org about 8-10 years ago.

He'd been pursuing financial independence for years, and was putting the finishing touches on his plan.  He'd tried to discuss FI with his co-workers years before but they weren't receptive and he'd since kept it all a secret.  I don't think he had a pension but he'd saved diligently in his company 401(k) and his IRA and he had everything ready to go.  He'd already contributed to the stereotypical thread on "How much notice should I give when I quit my job?" and had concluded that he only owed his employer the absolute minimum required by the HR rules.  He'd already prepped his turnover checklist and his training handbook, although he wasn't particularly worried about a contact relief.  He'd even figured out how best to replicate his company-issued laptop (on the cheap) so that he'd start ER with familiar computer gear.

Just a few days before he was ready to give notice, the company had a round of "surprise" layoffs.  (Surprise to most of the employees, not so surprising to most of management.)  He was met at the door by an HR rep, escorted to his boss' office, given the "bad" news, and then escorted to clean out his desk.  He was given a generous severance package and even told that he could keep his company-issued laptop.  He was outta there before lunch.

He said the hardest part of the layoff was keeping a straight face and taking it all seriously.  Inside, of course, he was doing the engineer's happy dance...

That is awesome. Thanks for sharing.

hred17

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #429 on: December 23, 2014, 03:29:52 AM »
My story is not quite as dramatic as some and it certainly was not planned as an "FU - I'm outta here!" type of scenario (although I had dreamed of it many times!).

Years ago I was working for the corporate arm of a computer retailer. I had been hired into the HR department and worked for a horrid, horrid, woman. Over the course of the 16 months I worked there, she proceeded to eliminate almost the entire HR generalist team. I ended up taking on the jobs of what had previously been done by six people. My boss always took credit for things I had done, used to not-so-subtly threaten me if I dared to mention her three-hour lunch breaks to anyone senior, etc, etc. The icing on the cake was that I spent my own money and time to get an advanced HR certification for which I had been promised a relevant increase in salary when I completed it. Needless to say, that did not happen.

I was desperate to quit but had not had time to start looking for another job and didn't have as much money saved as I wanted to feel 100% ok leaving without another job lined up. I was so miserable, and lo and behold, I came down with a very nasty case of the flu. This was the week of Thanksgiving. I was off sick from work on the Tuesday and Wednesday (the only non-vacation time off I ever took the whole time I worked there) and then spent the rest of the holiday weekend sick in bed.

Quite randomly, on the Tuesday of that same week (my first day sick at home) I got a phone call from a former colleague about a job opening and was fast tracked through an interview process. I had an offer by the end of the Thanksgiving weekend (it was a start-up so things moved fast and all of my interviews were done via conference calls and references).

On the Monday after Thanksgiving, I went into my bosses office to hand in my two-week notice. She completely flipped out (I think she realized how screwed she was going to be once I left). She proceeded to start yelling at me, accused me of lying about being sick so I could interview (not true), blah, blah, blah.

I calmly stood there during her rant and then asked her when she stopped yelling "if she was done?". She just stared at me. I proceeded to hand her my doctors note from the previous week (the look on her face was priceless) and then told her "that she did not deserve my two weeks and my notice was now effective immediately." I grabbed my purse off my desk and walked out.

Financially, things were a bit tight for a bit but it was the BEST feeling in the whole world to leave that day. I started my new job three weeks later and am still in the same industry today, 12 years later.

Lesson learned? ALWAYS have FU money. :)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 03:38:01 AM by hred17 »

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #430 on: December 23, 2014, 04:06:24 AM »
It's so much fun reading these stories although I doubt if I'd have the ahem, balls, to do some of them but then maybe again I would.

I'm not sure if this counts or not. I gave my notice six weeks ago. Many times during those six weeks I regretted it and wished I had given two weeks notice, but I wanted to help out over the holidays. I guess because I didn't want to burn my bridges it's not truly an FU story. Anyway, after I gave my notice I did not hear from anyone as to whether or not they would like to have me work per diem. I like the work I do and I like the company. I just don't like be treated as an indentured servant.

The owner of the company texts me occasionally and he's the type a person you can speak frankly with. I did share about the indentured servant feeling. Haha. Recently he asked if I would take a VIP pt. It fell on my day off but I agreed to do so. This was after there was an issue with another patient, who didn't like her nurse, and he asked if I go out there and smooth things over which I did.

Anyway, during the course of different texts, I commented that even though I would no longer be full-time I would still like to work for the company if they were interested in having me. I also gave the names of two people I had spoken with but received no response from. He said it was a given that they still wanted me and they would love to have me continue to see their patients. He apologized for that not been communicated to me. The next day I was called into the office by the two people who had not responded to me previously to discuss my hours when I go Per-diem.

I'm sure they think I am the teachers pet, but over the course of three years he has learned that I go that extra mile with my patients. I will visit them in the hospital, help those that can't drive to doctor appointments, send family sympathy cards when one dies, etc. This is all on my own time because I truly care about the people.

More than likely, my weekly hours will probably be the same, but I can take off when I want to take off, confine my route to in-county, and shorter distances, and have control over how many patients I'm willing to see in a day. No more 16 hour days to get my paperwork done. Although I will lose the vacation time, the 15 days is well worth it for the control factor.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #431 on: December 23, 2014, 10:56:10 AM »
I'm not sure if this counts or not...

Not so much an FU story but a good reminder that sometimes being a good person and a good employee can be just as worthwhile in getting what you want at work :-)

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #432 on: December 23, 2014, 02:00:41 PM »
I'm not sure if this counts or not...

Not so much an FU story but a good reminder that sometimes being a good person and a good employee can be just as worthwhile in getting what you want at work :-)

True..even if I have to quit to get what I want. Lol.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #433 on: January 03, 2015, 10:49:00 PM »

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #434 on: January 04, 2015, 09:20:17 AM »

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #435 on: January 04, 2015, 10:34:25 AM »

I agree with this assessment. I'm a big fan of "keep looking for better jobs constantly. There will eventually be something much better, you just have to be ready when it comes." I moved jobs a lot. I'd usually stick around for a year but because I had been looking for the whole year I had a very good idea of who was hiring and what I was worth. Having another job is freeing in the same way FU money is because it allows you to say "nope, you haven't been treating me the way I want to be treated, so I'm leaving."

When I found my current job (which I'm REALLY happy with) and gave notice at the old one, I was able to say: "you dropped the Employee Stock Purchase Plan this year which is worth over $10k per year to me. Without a big salary increase, you aren't that competitive anymore. Oh and the new company lets me work from home full time." Probably a slightly different feeling than true FU money, but having another job lined up gives you a lot of the same freedom.
Yup. I don't have something else lined up right now, but I am confident I could find something. I was talking to a coworker about a two week vacation I have planned in May, and I mentioned if it doesn't get approved I'll just go find another job.  Her jaw dropped. :P

viper155

• Bristles
« Reply #436 on: January 04, 2015, 10:53:43 AM »
I am in, kind of in my second career. I work for two reasons. To cash flow my kids college tuition and because I like to work. Recently I have amassed enough to pay all the tuitions in cash and I have a nice stash of FU money and a  great passive income. I am grateful. My business can get very tense. It is the entertainment business so there are a lot of ego issues. On this last job which lasted 3 months and ended a couple of weeks ago I casually mentioned to my work friends that I was in total FU mode. I worked and walked around like I did not have a care in the world. Everyone knew why including the ball breaking bosses. It was priceless the way that they dealt with me just because they, and everyone, knew of the position I was in. All the guys were just waiting for me to explode and tell people where to go but, like another poster here said, it's better just to have the card up your sleeve and play it to the hilt. Good luck to everyone on this quest!

h2ogal

• Stubble
« Reply #437 on: January 11, 2015, 11:56:27 AM »
This thread is the ultimate illustration of why Financial Independence is so crucial to living a fulfilling and happy life!

Once you have some financial strength, you never have to let yourself be driven to the point where you feel you must say "FU!".   

You don't have to take months of abuse before you quit in exasperation.....   You don't have to do anything you feel is unethical...... You never have to betray your own soul by staying in a position that is unhealthy and stressful...

Being financially independent means you go to work voluntarily, conduct yourself with dignity, show compassion to your co-workers and subordinates, and negotiate from a position of strength.   

I don't think you don't need a massive stache built up to do this....Just a reasonable emergency fund, confidence in your own worth, and marketable skills.  Dual incomes, low expenses and a little bravery goes a long way too.

taylor044

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #438 on: January 11, 2015, 02:24:30 PM »
Loved reading this thread. For my budget, I renamed my emergency fund category to FU... in all capital letters.

JCfire

• Stubble
« Reply #439 on: January 12, 2015, 08:25:23 AM »
This thread is the ultimate illustration of why Financial Independence is so crucial to living a fulfilling and happy life!

Once you have some financial strength, you never have to let yourself be driven to the point where you feel you must say "FU!".   

You don't have to take months of abuse before you quit in exasperation.....   You don't have to do anything you feel is unethical...... You never have to betray your own soul by staying in a position that is unhealthy and stressful...

Being financially independent means you go to work voluntarily, conduct yourself with dignity, show compassion to your co-workers and subordinates, and negotiate from a position of strength.   

I don't think you don't need a massive stache built up to do this....Just a reasonable emergency fund, confidence in your own worth, and marketable skills.  Dual incomes, low expenses and a little bravery goes a long way too.

This thread makes me acutely feel my lack of FU money.  I work in a small industry with few possible employers, I am excellent at my work, and a 2014 change at my company made me wish for FU money for at least the last six months.  Reading these stories makes me that much more determined that this the last time I'll have that feeling.

tyler1215

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #440 on: January 24, 2015, 07:56:59 PM »
I don't have an FU story but after this past week, I want to get to that point more than ever.

I work as an engineer and about six months ago we hired another "engineer". I use the quotes because he does not have an engineering degree, just tons of experience from being out in the field. This past week we had a piece of equipment that had failed in the field and has been replaced three time prior by an exact copy but new piece of equipment each time. The "engineer" had called for it to be replaced again and I told the field guys to leave it until someone proves the equipment is truly defective, and not actually miscoordinating. The "engineer" sent me an email and included the guys in my group as well. He asked me to explain to him why I superseded his judgement. Side note, he and I are the same level and pay but he is twice my age. With FU money, I would be able to respond back with "please find attached a copy of MY engineering degree for your reference. If you need further explanation, please note the PE initials following my name. They roughly translate to I am the expert!"

Until the moment I have FU money, I have to bite my tongue and play the politics to keep building up my FU fund. Or wait two years when I'm the engineering manager and then he'll be thinking twice about what he says.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #441 on: January 24, 2015, 09:00:27 PM »
"please find attached a copy of MY engineering degree for your reference. If you need further explanation, please note the PE initials following my name. They roughly translate to I am the expert!"

Until the moment I have FU money, I have to bite my tongue and play the politics to keep building up my FU fund. Or wait two years when I'm the engineering manager and then he'll be thinking twice about what he says.

Even if you were older or the manager, that might not get the response that you'd like to get.  It seems like the problem here is that nobody has gotten to the root cause of the "failure".  Could you try explaining that you need to get to root cause, and just installing a new version of the same unit won't do that?  Parts swapping is common in situations like this, but it can cost a lot of money without ever getting to root cause.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #442 on: January 24, 2015, 09:11:13 PM »
I don't have an FU story but after this past week, I want to get to that point more than ever.

I work as an engineer and about six months ago we hired another "engineer". I use the quotes because he does not have an engineering degree, just tons of experience from being out in the field. This past week we had a piece of equipment that had failed in the field and has been replaced three time prior by an exact copy but new piece of equipment each time. The "engineer" had called for it to be replaced again and I told the field guys to leave it until someone proves the equipment is truly defective, and not actually miscoordinating. The "engineer" sent me an email and included the guys in my group as well. He asked me to explain to him why I superseded his judgement. Side note, he and I are the same level and pay but he is twice my age. With FU money, I would be able to respond back with "please find attached a copy of MY engineering degree for your reference. If you need further explanation, please note the PE initials following my name. They roughly translate to I am the expert!"

Perhaps try the high road.  It's way less stressful. 

A) assume positive intent.  He felt hurt and responded poorly.  No need to get ruffled under the feathers.
B) focus on the solution.  "Before we replace the part again, I'd like to rule out other possibilities like mis-coordination issues."
C) reply directly to him with no one on cc.  Keep A) and B) in mind with your response.

I'm guessing this guy has a very good idea that you don't think much of him.  Perhaps keep on the lookout for some action he takes that's useful so you can feel less resentful toward him.

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #443 on: January 24, 2015, 10:29:55 PM »
As odput said my Horrible Bosses thread/story is an FU in the making... except I'm just starting with investing so way far from FI than I would like.

For those of you familiar with the thorn against my side, every day I probably imagine Mortal Kombat Fatalitying her ass because of the sheer stupidity of her actions. MIND F*CKED 24-7.

MY FU story involves personally going to her boss, the General Counsel of the company, and dropping off the folder of evidence proving that my boss is the most inefficient person I've ever worked with. I'd say that to him (and HR, too, for my imaginary FU story), too. Luckily I don't think anyone would seriously keep my boss if she had to change companies and she "means well" and is nice. SO I will save/spare her and my bridge by not having it burn down in flames. Life is too short to be that cynical. Even for me. :-)

And boy do I have example after example, which I've already outlined in detail in my Horrible Bosses thread. So for now this will all be imaginary and I will continue to build up my Burn Work Book (like from Mean Girls) with all my evidence as therapeutic justice and as an attempt to keep my sanity from the pure MIND F*CK of it all. Thank you. :-D

bzzzt

• Bristles
  • 5v to Lightning Bolts...
« Reply #444 on: January 25, 2015, 07:25:13 AM »
The "engineer" sent me an email and included the guys in my group as well. He asked me to explain to him why I superseded his judgement. Side note, he and I are the same level and pay but he is twice my age. With FU money, I would be able to respond back with "please find attached a copy of MY engineering degree for your reference. If you need further explanation, please note the PE initials following my name. They roughly translate to I am the expert!"

Opinions are like assholes (eveyone has one) but egos are poison. Degrees and book smarts don't necessarily make you the expert. I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the times where engineers/architects have been not just wrong but TOTALLY wrong in my experience. I try not to do hang people out to dry, but if they play the "I am the expert/boss!" card, I'll let them choke on their piece of paper instead of politely informing them of their mistake before it snowballs.

However, I'm just a lowly tradesman without a piece of paper informing others how smart I am.

Congrats on building up the FU money, but make sure you're doing it for the right reasons.

luna

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #445 on: January 25, 2015, 07:57:10 AM »
The "engineer" sent me an email and included the guys in my group as well. He asked me to explain to him why I superseded his judgement. Side note, he and I are the same level and pay but he is twice my age. With FU money, I would be able to respond back with "please find attached a copy of MY engineering degree for your reference. If you need further explanation, please note the PE initials following my name. They roughly translate to I am the expert!"

Opinions are like assholes (eveyone has one) but egos are poison. Degrees and book smarts don't necessarily make you the expert. I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the times where engineers/architects have been not just wrong but TOTALLY wrong in my experience. I try not to do hang people out to dry, but if they play the "I am the expert/boss!" card, I'll let them choke on their piece of paper instead of politely informing them of their mistake before it snowballs.

However, I'm just a lowly tradesman without a piece of paper informing others how smart I am.

Congrats on building up the FU money, but make sure you're doing it for the right reasons.

This!

Anyone trying to throw their title around instead of the facts will lose my respect pretty much immediately (the typical example in my line of business being "I'm your boss so this is the correct design for this piece of software").

I couldn't care less if you had the opportunity to go to a good university or not. I'd say pretty much half of the people studying computer science with me would never in a lifetime make good programmers. And they still ended up with a comp sci degree. And the best programmer I've ever worked with had a liberal arts degree.

Degrees mean nothing. Facts do.

(Also, I hope you change the attitude of "I know best" before you become a manager. It will be very hard to retain any good people with that way of thinking. A good manager hires people that are expects at what they do, and thus believes that they are better situated to make decisions than the manager himself.)

Tabaxus

• Bristles
« Reply #446 on: January 25, 2015, 09:00:49 AM »

Although there has been an implication along these lines in previous posts:  I won't say people like you suck.  I will say that people who think this way suck, so hopefully you fix how you think.  Discounting "tons of experience from being out in the field" when you are some kid out of college is ridiculous.  You can point to the obvious Gates-type example, but even outside of that kind of obvious example, it is still ridiculous. 

You need to do your job, nothing wrong with that, nothing wrong with calling for something to be done differently from the guy with lots of experience, but appealing to authority (in this case, the authority of a piece of paper) is gross.

I know plenty of grizzled paralegals who know more about the law than freshly-minted lawyers.

Westoftown

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #447 on: January 25, 2015, 09:32:41 AM »
Just to play devil's advocate, I'll share an experience of when FU money can actually hurt you.  I had a great job of 8 years - pension, good bonus, etc and I liked it but got bored.  After a couple of key customers went out of business, I got a new boss that I didn't like and ended up travelling way too much.  This was the same time as we had 2 babies.   I was just freaked out by life with all the travel, new family, etc, etc.   I knew I wanted to do something new - and thought that quitting would be a great way to make this happen - it would force me to make a change, even though I didnt have a good idea of what that change looked like!  If I didnt quit, I'd end up staying there and find financial reasons not to leave.

Anyway, long story short I quit on a whim.  6 months later I was in a similar job with slightly lower pay.  I guess it worked out, but given that I'm in the same field - I would have been better off riding out that bad manager/travel storm.  The company was great and now I'd be in a better role.

The moral - if you use your FU powers - make sure you have a plan.   IF you don't take control of your career direction, life will do it for you.  I guess everything works out, we're close to FIRE now and I have a concrete exit plan, SMART goals to get there, etc.

mjs111

• Stubble
« Reply #448 on: January 25, 2015, 12:49:25 PM »

he does not have an engineering degree, just tons of experience from being out in the field

I have a degree and I also manage a team.  Many managers (most? almost all?) would tend to value tons of field experience over a degree. I certainly do when I need to hire.  It's also nice to have a mix: older experienced folks and younger (but talented and hungry) folks. The older guys tend to bring a lot of experience and maturity to the team, and the younger guys bring a lot of creativity to the team.  Years and years of experience leads to good judgement, but judgement also can tend to limit creativity, since you already have pretty defined notions about what works and what doesn't.

Or wait two years when I'm the engineering manager and then he'll be thinking twice about what he says.

I hope, for your sake, that if you become a manager that you lose this attitude or you likely won't be a manager for long.  You'll either be moved out of the position, an unhealthy amount of your team will quit, or some combination of the two will occur.  Another poster said it well: as manager you hire good guys to work for you and then get the heck out of their way, supporting them as best they need to get the job done. Instilling fear in them is never part of the equation.

Mike

Sofa King

• Bristles
« Reply #449 on: January 25, 2015, 01:06:51 PM »

long story short I quit on a whim.

Don't quit on a "whim". Even if something pisses you off at work don't quit rite away just say you don't feel well and leave work rite then and sleep on your decision for a few days to make sure it's what you really want. I don't see ANY downfalls from having FU $$$$$ if you least do that.