Author Topic: Epic FU money stories  (Read 2794861 times)

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
Re: Epic FU money stories
« Reply #2200 on: March 04, 2018, 05:16:54 PM »
OK, so this has been a bit of  a saga but it's turned out slightly epic!

(snip)

So.... now I have a challenging senior-level job, paying more than twice what I was getting last year, at an expanding company AND it's close enough to walk to. Epic!

Oh YEAH!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2201 on: March 05, 2018, 10:52:10 AM »
OK, so this has been a bit of  a saga but it's turned out slightly epic!

Late last year I worked in a job that had long since outgrown it's job description and rate of pay. I was stressed and burned out. I'd been in discussions with management for a few months but they weren't prepared to alter either the pay rate or the responsibilities. I wasn't get anywhere near market rate for what I was doing.

So, I gave notice and started looking. I'm not a person that can just stick around when I'm not happy. Anyhoo, I ended up applying for a job I thought was WAY out of my league and asking for slightly silly money for it. I got the interview, got told I was the preferred candidate but before I could take the job, the person that was currently doing it withdrew their notice and there turned out not to be a job at all.

I've been unemployed for 3 months over xmas. Last week, the people that interviewed me for the out-of-my-league job phoned and asked me to apply for a job they were advertising. I had an interview the next day, and a job offer the day after that at the silly money rate I'd asked for in the interview for the first job!

So.... now I have a challenging senior-level job, paying more than twice what I was getting last year, at an expanding company AND it's close enough to walk to. Epic!
epic!

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2202 on: March 05, 2018, 05:45:56 PM »
Thanks for all the supportive and congratulatory comments, everyone. I've had quite a few IRL as well, which kind of makes up for the stupid comments I got while unemployed. One person, who will never find himself in a position to hire or fire anyone, told me that he wouldn't hire me because of my job history - he feels that 4-6 year stints in jobs shows a lack of commitment. Another person told me I was stupid and irresponsible for quitting. I don't quite know how.... my bills are all paid, no one's going without, even the cat's still eating his premium raw meat. The boss that I quit told me she felt betrayed by my resignation. Um..... you could have paid me what I was worth. I know that going against the majority's idea of how things should work is always difficult, but this experience has been something of an eye opener. FU money is such a good thing!

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #2203 on: March 05, 2018, 08:10:54 PM »
Thanks for all the supportive and congratulatory comments, everyone. I've had quite a few IRL as well, which kind of makes up for the stupid comments I got while unemployed. One person, who will never find himself in a position to hire or fire anyone, told me that he wouldn't hire me because of my job history - he feels that 4-6 year stints in jobs shows a lack of commitment. Another person told me I was stupid and irresponsible for quitting. I don't quite know how.... my bills are all paid, no one's going without, even the cat's still eating his premium raw meat. The boss that I quit told me she felt betrayed by my resignation. Um..... you could have paid me what I was worth. I know that going against the majority's idea of how things should work is always difficult, but this experience has been something of an eye opener. FU money is such a good thing!
I am finding your story to be VERY inspiring. Congratulations on the new job!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2204 on: March 05, 2018, 10:56:08 PM »

4-6 year stints do show a lack of commitment...on the part of the employer, not the employee.  If my previous employer would've preemptively given me the 60% raise that my current employer did, I wouldn't have been looking for other jobs! I'm sure that's not what he meant, but it's true :D

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #2205 on: March 06, 2018, 03:28:30 AM »
4-6 years is a long time now a days!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2206 on: March 06, 2018, 07:51:02 AM »
4-6 years is a long time now a days!

Exactly what I was thinking!

Although I do think the studies saying so are a little misleading.
Say you have 2 people, one who worked 5 years and one who worked 5x 1 year stints.  The average stint is 1.67 (10/6) years.  If you take the average per person, it's 3 years.  It's kind of like the mean vs median for weddings.  Those who take shorter stints take more of them.  An employer can't really take that into account though.

Livingthedream55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2207 on: March 06, 2018, 08:09:57 AM »

Next time old boss gives you grief and/or shares her feeling of betrayal (WTF?):

Read elsewhere on this forum: "it would be financially irresponsible of me not to take this new job."   BURN!! : 0 )

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #2208 on: March 06, 2018, 08:39:25 AM »
Crappy boss for sure.  Sounds like a good one to leave. 

saguaro

• Stubble
« Reply #2209 on: March 06, 2018, 08:40:33 AM »

4-6 year stints do show a lack of commitment...on the part of the employer, not the employee.  If my previous employer would've preemptively given me the 60% raise that my current employer did, I wouldn't have been looking for other jobs! I'm sure that's not what he meant, but it's true :D

Personally I think 4-6 years is plenty of time for an employee to learn the job, to determine how far he/she can advance in terms of position or pay, put the effort toward doing that, and if a no go on part of the employer (for whatever reason) then for the employee to seek other opportunities elsewhere.   

I bailed on my second post college job after a year and a half.  I had gotten a raise plus satisfactory review and told that I had already hit the wage ceiling for my position.  A coworker got the same thing and angrily quit on the spot.   I left two months later for a higher paying job.  Of course they were shocked but what did they expect after telling people that.  But I did give them credit for being honest (even if they didn't expect my particular response to it) and I could move on.

ETA: And wtf with this whole "betrayal" business.  When you have "at will" employment laws in place that takes "betrayal" out of the equation, IMHO.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 09:12:55 AM by saguaro »

PaulMaxime

• Bristles
  • Absolute power doesn't corrupt, it reveals.
« Reply #2210 on: March 06, 2018, 11:32:40 AM »

Next time old boss gives you grief and/or shares her feeling of betrayal (WTF?):

Read elsewhere on this forum: "it would be financially irresponsible of me not to take this new job."   BURN!! : 0 )

I hate when companies and bosses act this way. It's business. If the company was having a hard time they'd let employees go without a second thought. One of the top things I tell younger folks when I advise them about their careers is to do what's best for them.

Um..... you could have paid me what I was worth.

Exactly.

albireo13

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2211 on: March 06, 2018, 03:28:25 PM »
Remember that companies would sell their grandmother
if they could make a dollar on it.

Capt j-rod

• Bristles
« Reply #2212 on: March 06, 2018, 09:30:47 PM »
I agree with what was said, but employers don't like mustaches... They want you broke and begging for more money and more hours. My wife quit when they refused to hire more help. They paid incredibly well for what she did, and in turn she made them a butt load of money. The problem was that I had no wife and my kids had no mother. They just ran her into the ground. We tried for over a year to negotiate a lower salary for a lighter workload, but they refused and kept saying they couldn't find any help. We drew a line in the dirt and decided that if they didn't change something by a certain date then we were gone. We didn't tell them the date, but told them that we would soon be left no choice but to start looking. The date came and she gave her resignation. They were very pissed and worked her even harder until she left which was 90 days notice. They have contacted her 6 times in the past year trying to get her to come back with more empty promises that they can't back up. The new job is great and they are thrilled to have gotten her. Will it stay this way? Maybe, but if it doesn't the FU money is still in the account and the resume takes less than an hour to clean up. As for me? I keep buying and fixing rentals and maxing out the investments. Nobody but us knows that there is only 4 more years of full time, then 3-5 years of part time employment left. I figured we would save that little tid bit of knowledge for later. They keep us on a need to know basis, so I think they have earned the same.

PiobStache

• Stubble
« Reply #2213 on: March 07, 2018, 12:36:49 PM »
Did not tell anyone to FU but I find it's becoming harder and harder to stay focused as our financial independence grows.  We are going to stick it out until 62, another 11 years, because we have definite goals we want to accomplish in retirement.  I'm just hoping we don't pull the trigger early and have to compromise a goal or two.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2214 on: March 07, 2018, 03:21:16 PM »
Did not tell anyone to FU but I find it's becoming harder and harder to stay focused as our financial independence grows.  We are going to stick it out until 62, another 11 years, because we have definite goals we want to accomplish in retirement.  I'm just hoping we don't pull the trigger early and have to compromise a goal or two.

I'd rather compromise a goal or two than work until 62, but that's just me.

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2215 on: March 07, 2018, 06:30:27 PM »

+1,000,000

I plan to FI in 11 years, and maybe RE if I want.  People die at 60 all. the. time.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2216 on: March 07, 2018, 06:38:53 PM »

+1,000,000

I plan to FI in 11 years, and maybe RE if I want.  People die at 60 all. the. time.
People die at every age, said the person who turned sixty this week and thankfully didn't die. Getting out early is priceless. I have no goals that are worth waiting that long for. I got out at 54 and wish I could have done so even earlier.

Luckyvik

• Stubble
Epic FU money stories
« Reply #2217 on: March 08, 2018, 01:54:38 AM »
I have a FU story in progress; so I came in to work the other day and we got called into a meeting turns out my part of the Company (Company A) is getting sold to Company B. We got offered our same jobs at Company B with a small sign on bonus.

It’s likely my DH is getting sent to HongKong for work for 6 months in May so I told work I’m not signing the contract with Company B ( I was originally thinking I would ask Company A to work remotely but Company B is a smaller and not international) I’m now hoping I will get a small redundancy. Even if we don’t end up going to HK, we have FU money so I can wait around for the redundancy and then look for another job.

HR said that they will have to try and find me a job in another part of the company before they look into redundancy. So, we will see what happens!

I’m one of the minority that can afford to hang around without a job.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2218 on: March 08, 2018, 08:04:48 AM »

+1,000,000

People die at every age, said the person who turned sixty this week and thankfully didn't die. Getting out early is priceless. I have no goals that are worth waiting that long for. I got out at 54 and wish I could have done so even earlier.
It depends what they mean by "as our financial independence grows."  If they're now at 2x their current spend rate they're pretty much stuck waiting ~11 years.  If they're at 50x their current spend rate, but want to increase their spend rate by 3x, then I'd probably compromise in between the two somewhere.

PiobStache

• Stubble
« Reply #2219 on: March 08, 2018, 09:31:48 AM »

That is indeed just you.  One of our goals is to start a non-profit to work with disadvantaged kids for early intervention in acquisition of math knowledge.  All studies show they younger they are, the more likely they'll one day be able to obtain higher math skills.  Our lives are not based solely around our selfish needs and this goal is important to us.  Each to his own I say.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2220 on: March 08, 2018, 09:43:47 AM »
Happy birthday, Dicey!

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2221 on: March 08, 2018, 09:46:44 AM »

That is indeed just you.  One of our goals is to start a non-profit to work with disadvantaged kids for early intervention in acquisition of math knowledge.  All studies show they younger they are, the more likely they'll one day be able to obtain higher math skills.  Our lives are not based solely around our selfish needs and this goal is important to us.  Each to his own I say.

How come you aren't starting that now?

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2222 on: March 08, 2018, 10:38:06 AM »

OK, without the snippiness on all sides, I'm quite curious about this. Have you figured out some of the details? Who is going to do the teaching? What metrics will you use, and how will you know if/when the program is working? What lure will you offer to get kids and families to participate?

This might need its own thread (probably best placed in Off-Topic), but I've often thought that providing additional support for the 2nd - 4th grade age group would be enormously helpful, and would love to know how you're thinking about approaching this.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2223 on: March 08, 2018, 10:42:40 AM »

@NinetyFour is a soon to be retired teacher of math teachers who does non-profit work on math teaching, you might have a lot in common.

PiobStache

• Stubble
« Reply #2224 on: March 08, 2018, 11:10:37 AM »

OK, without the snippiness on all sides, I'm quite curious about this. Have you figured out some of the details? Who is going to do the teaching? What metrics will you use, and how will you know if/when the program is working? What lure will you offer to get kids and families to participate?

This might need its own thread (probably best placed in Off-Topic), but I've often thought that providing additional support for the 2nd - 4th grade age group would be enormously helpful, and would love to know how you're thinking about approaching this.

To the prior poster: because we want both our retirement and our non-profit efforts to be properly capitalized.  Not being properly capitalized for both those goals would just be foolish, and while I'm far from the sharpest tool in the shed, I at least like to think I'm not foolish.

Jenico:  Years ago a professor of mine in business school turned me on to the research involving different styles of pedagogy at the university, i.e. lecture, online, self-learing, lecture-online combo, etc.  All the research indicates very little difference in outcomes.  (The granddaddy of all such research comes from a 1968 meta-analysis under "The Teaching Learning Paradox" if you want to research it.)  We were also involved with Math Counts for a number of years and a decade of observation/participation in that between us.

So our plan is heavily tech involved in that guided online learning will be the main method.  We plan to identify a couple of after school youth programs to partner with for our initial learning lab.  We'll take on a couple of cohorts, and a key will be, involved adult figures in their lives (no matter what form that figure takes...which we'll track too, btw ;) )  We'll do entry testing to determine current ability, then intermediate and final testing.  We plan to make this a two or three year program, haven't figured out which yet.  It will also be a program with a highly social aspect, to include field trips to spark interest in good careers, a number of weekend events like BBQs (with some math games!) and the like.  We realize engaging them on a social level is important for retention.

We're not bothering to work out 100% of the details, as we're talking well over a decade yet, and I figure if nothing else technology will continue to change.  We'll write grants to tap into further funding, and as philanthropists ourselves at this point, we know there's nothing more appealing than a program that's already well funded with a strong business plan.

My wife and I are both quants so this is something we're personally invested in.

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2225 on: March 08, 2018, 01:23:04 PM »
I'm so very happy.

My wife just used the FU money a couple hours ago. She has been employed at 60% time; 24 hours/week tuesday - thursday (3-8 hour shifts). This schedule started after her return from maternity leave so that she could spend more time with the kids and stay employed. It was the optimal solution for us, everyone was happy and we kept on saving. The kids have a little time away from us with other kids, we get more time than we use to with the kids.

Yesterday she was told thats coming to an end, she needs to go to full time. As she is late 30's with two kids, I think her supervisor expected compliance, I think it came as a surprse when my wife wanted to mull it over. As in all these caes the unspoken alternative was she's out of work, no one ever thinks people will consider that option. Luckily for us, we have a decent stash, she isn't bound by normal conventions of needing to cover rent and can live the life she wants. Still, its pretty scary to be confronted with it even after all this preparation.

In case it needs to be said, she said No to returning to full time work. The unspoken alternative is still not being whispered out loud, it happened so fast that I don't think its sunk in yet. I have no idea yet if they'll try to keep her or let her go, I suspect they feel she's bluffing. She still wants to work at 60%, but shes willing to never work again, I'm also sitting on the precipice of FIRE, we're just saving so we can live a few years overseas as a family at this point.

It just makes me so happy that she can make her choice. If she's out of work, her last day should fall on our anniversary. I think that will gurantee I'm husband of the year which is great; however looking forward I'm pretty much going to be a dissapointment for the rest of our anniversaries though, this is impossible to beat.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #2226 on: March 08, 2018, 01:32:10 PM »
@Prairie Stash I love this story! Being in a position to take no shit is so powerful! Well done to both of you.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2227 on: March 08, 2018, 02:06:13 PM »
@Prairie Stash I love this story! Being in a position to take no shit is so powerful! Well done to both of you.
Can't wait to hear the rest of this story. Well done!

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2228 on: March 08, 2018, 02:35:18 PM »
Prairie Stash, I'm curious to hear how it plays out and, if they don't accept "no", on what grounds they legally terminate her employment.  I wouldn't be surprised if they just let her part-time arrangement continue (if they want to force her into full-time I assume there's enough work that they'd have to replace her, which is an extra hassle).  Way to go, both of you, for being able to say no!

VoteCthulu

• Bristles
« Reply #2229 on: March 08, 2018, 03:01:05 PM »
Prairie Stash, I'm curious to hear how it plays out and, if they don't accept "no", on what grounds they legally terminate her employment.  I wouldn't be surprised if they just let her part-time arrangement continue (if they want to force her into full-time I assume there's enough work that they'd have to replace her, which is an extra hassle).  Way to go, both of you, for being able to say no!
If they live in an "at will" employment state there doesn't need to be any reason to legally terminate her, but then she will usually qualify for collecting unemployment if it's not "for cause".

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2230 on: March 08, 2018, 03:04:44 PM »
If they live in an "at will" employment state there doesn't need to be any reason to legally terminate her, but then she will usually qualify for collecting unemployment if it's not "for cause".

IIRC (and scanning past posts) I think he's Canadian.  So maybe there will be a nice severance package on offer.  :)))))

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #2231 on: March 08, 2018, 03:06:10 PM »
~this is impossible to beat~

Betcha that first anniversary where you are sitting beside her enjoying the FIRE with her will put this one in the dust!  :-)

Congratulations to you both on this awesome road you are on!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2232 on: March 08, 2018, 04:11:24 PM »
I'm so very happy.

My wife just used the FU money a couple hours ago. She has been employed at 60% time; 24 hours/week tuesday - thursday (3-8 hour shifts). This schedule started after her return from maternity leave so that she could spend more time with the kids and stay employed. It was the optimal solution for us, everyone was happy and we kept on saving. The kids have a little time away from us with other kids, we get more time than we use to with the kids.

Yesterday she was told thats coming to an end, she needs to go to full time. As she is late 30's with two kids, I think her supervisor expected compliance, I think it came as a surprse when my wife wanted to mull it over. As in all these caes the unspoken alternative was she's out of work, no one ever thinks people will consider that option. Luckily for us, we have a decent stash, she isn't bound by normal conventions of needing to cover rent and can live the life she wants. Still, its pretty scary to be confronted with it even after all this preparation.

In case it needs to be said, she said No to returning to full time work. The unspoken alternative is still not being whispered out loud, it happened so fast that I don't think its sunk in yet. I have no idea yet if they'll try to keep her or let her go, I suspect they feel she's bluffing. She still wants to work at 60%, but shes willing to never work again, I'm also sitting on the precipice of FIRE, we're just saving so we can live a few years overseas as a family at this point.

It just makes me so happy that she can make her choice. If she's out of work, her last day should fall on our anniversary. I think that will gurantee I'm husband of the year which is great; however looking forward I'm pretty much going to be a dissapointment for the rest of our anniversaries though, this is impossible to beat.

This is such a great story.  10 years ago, that was me.  I had a 2 year old and had been working 30 hrs/week for over a year.  Company did a reorg, I got a new boss, he said "I don't believe in part time".  I spent a couple of weeks working my way up the chain (mainly talking to his boss, the VP and head of the location).  No go. Even down to
Me: "but Mrs. H works part time." 
New boss: "She's not a technical employee." 
Me: "Wait, she has a PhD in materials science?"
New boss: "She's not in the critical path"
Me: "I'm in the critical path now, working part time, and it works?"
New boss: "I don't care, I don't believe in it"

So, as I'd been thinking of making a change anyway - I called up a FORMER boss and said "I'm looking for a part time job."  And got "you're hired."

I gave notice.  I think they were surprised.  Now, I gave them a very long, 3 months notice, as I promised to finish off my last project.  Thing is, they figured that the other engineer was still there, so no big deal.  Of course, I knew that he was leaving soon after me. 

Fast forward two years and another woman has a baby, and wants to work part time, 25 hours.  They say yes!  She's in the critical path!  And even better, the VP tells her "yeah, we made a mistake with mm1970."  Even though I already had a job lined up, I didn't need it.

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2233 on: March 08, 2018, 04:26:45 PM »

Fast forward two years and another woman has a baby, and wants to work part time, 25 hours.  They say yes!  She's in the critical path!  And even better, the VP tells her "yeah, we made a mistake with mm1970."  Even though I already had a job lined up, I didn't need it.

@mm1970 -- what a great story. You paved the path for someone else. And kudos also to the VP for realizing and admitting to a mistake.  So many people just refuse to acknowledge mistakes and then continue to dig deeper. Your story is refreshing.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2234 on: March 09, 2018, 10:11:30 AM »

Yep, I'm saving that for my exit interview if I get this new job. It's a stretch, but would pay a LOT more.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2235 on: March 09, 2018, 10:16:47 AM »

To the prior poster: because we want both our retirement and our non-profit efforts to be properly capitalized.  Not being properly capitalized for both those goals would just be foolish, and while I'm far from the sharpest tool in the shed, I at least like to think I'm not foolish.

Have you been turned down in all of your grant proposals? How many have you submitted?

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2236 on: March 09, 2018, 10:37:49 AM »

@mm1970 -- what a great story. You paved the path for someone else. And kudos also to the VP for realizing and admitting to a mistake.  So many people just refuse to acknowledge mistakes and then continue to dig deeper. Your story is refreshing.
It did take one more round.  After about 2 years they pressured her to go back full time and she said no.  They kept pressuring her until she eventually quit (she also had changes in her childcare, so it wasn't 100% that, but partially.)

Round *3* woman having a baby, about 4-5 years ago.  SHE went back part time and they didn't bug her about going back full time.

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2237 on: March 09, 2018, 10:52:27 AM »

IIRC (and scanning past posts) I think he's Canadian.  So maybe there will be a nice severance package on offer.  :)))))

Canadian labour laws are alot more employee friendly than what I understand some US states have.

But FU money lets you test that stress free!  Yay you!

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2238 on: March 09, 2018, 11:21:53 AM »

Have you been turned down in all of your grant proposals? How many have you submitted?

Oh, knock it off -- you're just being a jerk at this point. If they don't hate their jobs, and they know what level will be comfortable for them (both in terms of risk and spending), they're working to reach those goals. MYOFB, already.

And personally, if I set up a foundation like that, I'd prefer that it be self-funded, at least for long enough to amass decent results. Because I think the idiots at Ed schools that give out grants are power-hungry and can't do solid statistics, and I hate being jerked around -- even if I believe it's for a good cause.

@PlobStache, I strongly dislike Math Counts -- I think the program leans toward having kids memorize 1-time formulas, rather than learning a variety of strategies for solving problems. Check out Math Olympiad, which tends more towards problems that 3 different students might solve in 3 different ways (and, for extra fun, can then stand up and explain to each other, with well-trained adult assistance, because it can be a challenge to help clarify algebraic, geometric, and graph-theory solving strategies cold.)

Really, though, my experience with math students at all levels up to about Geometry (so 9th or 10th grades) is that if you can get basic math skills and some problem-solving and persistence strategies into kids before 5th grade, you're golden! (And technology is an awesome way to get the basic math facts memorized.)

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2239 on: March 09, 2018, 05:26:44 PM »
I agree.   Who wants to FIRE and do your own thing if it means relying on other people's money.    The point is to get away from the bureaucratic rat race, not to spend more time with it.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2240 on: March 09, 2018, 06:26:27 PM »

Oh, knock it off -- you're just being a jerk at this point. If they don't hate their jobs, and they know what level will be comfortable for them (both in terms of risk and spending), they're working to reach those goals. MYOFB, already.

My single polite post is "just being a jerk"?

You have awfully thin skin, White Knight. This is the land of Facepunches. That wasn't even a love tap. And if OP can't deal with that level of question themselves, they're going to fail at their stated goal. I've been involved in multiple nonprofits at both the grunt and management level, including fundraising.

Also, your dismissal of all grants because of your bad experiences with .edu grants is shortsighted and overly narrow in focus.

It's particularly ironic of you to stick your nose into my discussion with OP and then to nancy-around writing Mind Your Own Fucking Business. You could at least learn from your own acronym.

Grow up.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 07:08:37 PM by TomTX »

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2241 on: March 09, 2018, 09:55:03 PM »

My single polite post is "just being a jerk"?

You have awfully thin skin, White Knight. This is the land of Facepunches. That wasn't even a love tap. And if OP can't deal with that level of question themselves, they're going to fail at their stated goal. I've been involved in multiple nonprofits at both the grunt and management level, including fundraising.

Also, your dismissal of all grants because of your bad experiences with .edu grants is shortsighted and overly narrow in focus.

It's particularly ironic of you to stick your nose into my discussion with OP and then to nancy-around writing Mind Your Own Fucking Business. You could at least learn from your own acronym.

Grow up.

Well Tom, you may have asked ONE question in a line of questions that in total were getting jerkish, but you definitely got jerkish in your response. It's a long thread, people get confused sometimes. Chill a tad.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2242 on: March 09, 2018, 10:24:20 PM »
Yeah, can we call a truce and get back to Epic FU Money Stories?

As a follow-up to when I left my law firm nearly two years ago, I heard from one of my colleagues the other day that one of the partners and a counsel were talking about me the other day like how hard it is going to be for me to find a job with the passage of time and what am I doing with my life.  LOL, my friend and I just laughed because what I am doing is not freaking working, traveling the world, doing volunteer work, spending quality time with family in other parts of the country, and also just relaxing.  Silly law firm attorneys who can't see the world beyond billing hours...

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #2243 on: March 10, 2018, 03:33:07 AM »
I have a FU story in progress; so I came in to work the other day and we got called into a meeting turns out my part of the Company (Company A) is getting sold to Company B. We got offered our same jobs at Company B with a small sign on bonus.

It’s likely my DH is getting sent to HongKong for work for 6 months in May so I told work I’m not signing the contract with Company B ( I was originally thinking I would ask Company A to work remotely but Company B is a smaller and not international) I’m now hoping I will get a small redundancy. Even if we don’t end up going to HK, we have FU money so I can wait around for the redundancy and then look for another job.

HR said that they will have to try and find me a job in another part of the company before they look into redundancy. So, we will see what happens!

Update- Now they are screwing us out of a redundancy, they said that as they are offering us equivalent jobs at Company B then there will be no redundancy payment if we don’t sign on to Company B.
They had sent an email week ago stating that there would be a redundancy payment and now they are saying there is not. I looked up the fair work act (Australia) and it’s correct that we are not actually entitled to a redundancy payment but I’m guessing that since they told us we are and now we are not there would be some room for argument, anyone know?

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2244 on: March 10, 2018, 04:11:40 AM »
One person, who will never find himself in a position to hire or fire anyone, told me that he wouldn't hire me because of my job history - he feels that 4-6 year stints in jobs shows a lack of commitment.

This is one of the weirdest things I've ever heard. One of the best pieces of advice I've ever gotten was from a former manager, who told me when I was leaving that unless I fell completely in love with a specific job, I should be aiming to move roles after eighteen months. His rationale was that in any non-specialist role, 95% of learning happens in those eighteen months, and beyond that point new learning opportunities become far rarer.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2245 on: March 10, 2018, 04:18:55 AM »
Update- Now they are screwing us out of a redundancy, they said that as they are offering us equivalent jobs at Company B then there will be no redundancy payment if we don’t sign on to Company B.
They had sent an email week ago stating that there would be a redundancy payment and now they are saying there is not. I looked up the fair work act (Australia) and it’s correct that we are not actually entitled to a redundancy payment but I’m guessing that since they told us we are and now we are not there would be some room for argument, anyone know?

I don't know, but you could ask this over on the Australia Tax board (It's not just about taxes, but also all manner of insurance/employment/legal stuff):  https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/australia-tax-discussion/

Good luck!  Would be brilliant if you could get a redundancy payment. 

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2246 on: March 10, 2018, 04:34:03 AM »

You can always argue anything, and if you have a trades union I'm sure they will be able to argue it on your behalf.  I think a legal case based on estoppel (the idea that you can hold someone to their word if you have acted to your detriment as a result) probably doesn't apply because you hadn't lost the offer of the job at Company B before Company A changed their minds.  But definitely one for the Australians to answer more definitively (or as least as definitively as any free legal opinion over the internet).

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2247 on: March 10, 2018, 07:33:00 AM »

You can always argue anything, and if you have a trades union I'm sure they will be able to argue it on your behalf.  I think a legal case based on estoppel (the idea that you can hold someone to their word if you have acted to your detriment as a result) probably doesn't apply because you hadn't lost the offer of the job at Company B before Company A changed their minds.  But definitely one for the Australians to answer more definitively (or as least as definitively as any free legal opinion over the internet).

Ditto.  I don't think you could show any actual damages.  But they suck :-/

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #2248 on: March 10, 2018, 02:10:49 PM »
Thanks Tripele, former player and Letaindrop, I will ask in the other board.

Gone_Hiking

• Stubble
« Reply #2249 on: March 10, 2018, 08:45:09 PM »
On a Thursday afternoon my bosses were off-site, and I was pretty bitter about the low pay and the long commute. I signed a new job offer, then I gave them email-notice that my last day was Friday/tomorrow. While they were out of the office I made my rounds and said goodbye to all the decent coworkers. A bunch of people in my department set up a going away party for me before the bosses could stop it. Despite being bitter they sort of had to show up anyway and be nice, at least publicly.

Good and badass for you.  I have given notice earlier this week and I wish it was a quick going away party.  Instead, there was panic, crying emojis, public praises sounding like eulogies, I half expect a funeral wreath on my desk any day.  I heard that the employer is going to hire two people to replace me, perhaps I can put that on my resume.   But I digress.  Congratulations on a great change!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!