Author Topic: Epic FU money stories  (Read 2795023 times)

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
Re: Epic FU money stories
« Reply #250 on: June 26, 2014, 07:57:24 AM »
If you think he'd be up for it, I'd love to meet, even if its just to discuss cycling in the city!

I'm waiting on updates telling us all how you met the love of your life through the FU money stories thread :-P

Ahahaha!  If that happens I will be sure to update this thread.

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #251 on: June 26, 2014, 07:59:27 AM »
If you think he'd be up for it, I'd love to meet, even if its just to discuss cycling in the city!

I'm waiting on updates telling us all how you met the love of your life through the FU money stories thread :-P

HAHA! I was thinking the same thing.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #252 on: June 26, 2014, 08:01:06 AM »
Not epic, and not me, but I have a coworker that is walking away on July 3rd, with no job lined up.  Seems like she's burnt out from fairly long hours/hard work the past few years which hasn't let up much.  She plans to travel, sing, and study, before she figures out what she wants to do next.  (I don't think she's FIRE at 34ish, but it's not something I've ever asked.  Seems a bit too personal to randomly bring up in conversation.) 

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #253 on: June 26, 2014, 10:54:17 AM »
(I don't think she's FIRE at 34ish, but it's not something I've ever asked.  Seems a bit too personal to randomly bring up in conversation.)

It's okay if you do it delicately and on the sly, like this: "So how much money do you have?"

Latwell

• Stubble
« Reply #254 on: June 26, 2014, 11:35:16 AM »
(I don't think she's FIRE at 34ish, but it's not something I've ever asked.  Seems a bit too personal to randomly bring up in conversation.)

It's okay if you do it delicately and on the sly, like this: "So how much money do you have?"

Lol "what's in your wallet"

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #255 on: June 26, 2014, 12:41:03 PM »

I think "so, do you think you'll ever go back to work?" might get you there without being too invasive

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #256 on: June 26, 2014, 03:28:12 PM »

I think "so, do you think you'll ever go back to work?" might get you there without being too invasive

You got a mustache?
Have some FU money huh?
Been stacking cheddar?

Or just slip her a link to your MMM profile if you're not worried about confidentiality.

jordanread

« Reply #257 on: June 26, 2014, 08:39:45 PM »
Been stacking cheddar?

And now we know how you pick up people. ;-) This should go into the username thread (that you started, if I remember). I originally viewed a creepy dude with a weird wink afterwards...but then I realized who said it, and I then imagined the XXX (beer) guy, which added enough class to where I think you could pull it off.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #258 on: June 26, 2014, 10:55:50 PM »

I then imagined the XXX (beer) guy, which added enough class to where I think you could pull it off.

I don't always drink beer.  But when I do, I prefer tres equis.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #259 on: June 26, 2014, 11:53:14 PM »
Pretty sure the triple x beer guy doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, the bottles get lodged... places (on camera).
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #260 on: June 27, 2014, 12:31:27 AM »
Pretty sure the triple x beer guy doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, the bottles get lodged... places (on camera).

We're talking about this guy, right?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #261 on: June 27, 2014, 12:59:35 AM »
Of course.

The truth is out there.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #262 on: June 27, 2014, 06:05:33 AM »

I then imagined the XXX (beer) guy, which added enough class to where I think you could pull it off.

I don't always drink beer.  But when I do, I prefer tres equis.

Very nice jordanread. ; )
If dos equis is good, tres equis must be better right? Particularly in our gluttonous culture of more more more.

jordanread

« Reply #263 on: June 27, 2014, 06:18:06 AM »

Very nice jordanread. ; )
If dos equis is good, tres equis must be better right? Particularly in our gluttonous culture of more more more.

You know, I thought that seemed off but couldn't figure out why. I even typed dos, and then took the easy way, which I think turned out even more awesome.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #264 on: June 27, 2014, 06:40:03 AM »
Agreed

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #265 on: June 27, 2014, 08:33:59 AM »

You know, I thought that seemed off but couldn't figure out why. I even typed dos, and then took the easy way, which I think turned out even more awesome.

Agreed

I triple that. :D

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at age 33. 5 years in, still loving it!
    • Root of Good
« Reply #266 on: June 27, 2014, 09:17:00 PM »
I'll drink to that.

Stache In Training

• Stubble
« Reply #267 on: June 27, 2014, 11:05:29 PM »

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #268 on: June 28, 2014, 07:49:31 AM »

mercenary

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #269 on: June 28, 2014, 11:56:50 AM »
Did you report them to the relevant authorities? You should. It could save somebody's life.

My God did I yell and scream at the proper authorities.  I talked to anyone who'd listen.  However....without documented proof it breaks down into a "He said, He said" situation.  All I had was my word as my driving logs showed what they needed to in order for me to remain employed.

These kinds of things are rampant in the oil patch trucking industry.  I guarantee the majority of drivers on the road have false logs and they do so willingly.  Drivers do it to make the BIG MONEY as they chase the dream of keeping up with the Joneses and continue to buy crap they don't need just to make themselves look good.

Another quick story...I worked with a driver at this same company I was talking about.  We were driving back to the shop one day talking about life and stuff.  He's telling me he hates his job, can't stand living up here, too much debt, and so on.  I ask him where he'd like to be and he says the happiest he has ever been was while working as a prison guard.....  Ok...to each their own I guess.  Anyway he tells me that he's going to save up some cash in order to quit his job and go back to working in the prison system.  We get back to the shop and go on days off.

So I had six days off but I didn't see him for a few weeks after that.  I run into him in the parking lot one day and he's getting out of a brand new truck with a shiny new 4 wheeler in the back.  He sees me and asks me how I like his new truck and 4 wheeler?  I ask what about the plan to save some cash and get another job?  He mumbles something about needing a new truck and that's where the conversation ends.

These kinds of stories are rampant in the area I work.  I work with plenty of folks who not only drive new trucks...but they drive 60 thousand dollar 1/2 ton trucks.  They own 15 thousand dollar snowmobiles, 20 thousand dollar side by side 4 wheelers, sea doo's, boats, and all manner of different toys but they're all leveraged up to their eyeballs and living paycheck to paycheck. Most of these folks are young and if you could just convince them that they could be retired at 35 or earlier they just laugh.  You talk to the older guys (like me) and they say they need 5-10-15 million to retire......

I'm sure most...if not all...of us know people like that.....

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #270 on: July 01, 2014, 03:00:14 PM »
Not a story, but I came across this image on The Oatmeal and it seemed like a good mental picture for this thread:
https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t1.0-9/10447073_10154349984680078_6092289075562906656_n.jpg

... and yes, those are stacks of money spelling out FU.

jordanread

« Reply #271 on: July 01, 2014, 03:45:07 PM »
Not a story, but I came across this image on The Oatmeal and it seemed like a good mental picture for this thread:
https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t1.0-9/10447073_10154349984680078_6092289075562906656_n.jpg

I remember following that story. Didn't even think about the FU Money thing...I believe that was $250,000 but can't be sure off the top of my head.

Michael792

• Stubble
    • Rising Ascendant
« Reply #272 on: July 01, 2014, 04:02:12 PM »

I remember following that story. Didn't even think about the FU Money thing...I believe that was $250,000 but can't be sure off the top of my head.

It's $220,000. http://boingboing.net/2012/07/09/oatmeal.html

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #273 on: July 01, 2014, 07:16:01 PM »
In 2006 I was working as an officer aboard a research ship. I spent 2 months on the ship as the 3rd Officer and then moved up to the 2nd Officer job when that guy went home.  When my 4 months on the ship was up (I had been there about 135 days when we pulled back into port) they asked if I could stay another month because they were having trouble coming up with reliefs; I agreed to stay. They swore on everything holy that they would have a relief waiting on the pier for me when we came back to port. Of course when we pulled back into Japan there is no relief. After 164 days on the ship I put all my stuff in my sea bag and told the Captain I was going home. He gave me some sort of lecture on my responsibility to the ship. I said "fuck you guys" and left to get on the train to Fukuoka to fly home.

The kicker is that after 4 months at home they actually called me to come back to work! It turned out that the guy who had relieved me as 3rd Officer 8 months prior was still on the ship and they needed someone to relieve him. I laughed maniacally and declined the offer.

And that is how I began my sea-going career.

farmstache

• Stubble
« Reply #274 on: July 01, 2014, 10:00:33 PM »
Well... mine isn't exactly a FU story (I think almost everyone said that).

I've been working since I was 19 or 20, I think, so not too young. When I still lived with my parents (up to 26yo, saved some money but not really mustachian, oh had I known!), basically I always considered my internships and jobs from a position of power. After all, I didn't really need the money to live, right?

My first internship was really really nice work, but with a terrible boss, who yelled at everyone and was really unbalanced. My last month there was crazy, she brought 4x more clients than the team had capacity to fulfill, and wouldn't hire new people. In mid-january I told her I was taking more classes that semester and would stop with the internship mid-feb. She asked me to just finish one last thing. I said I might not be able to, but I'd do my best (I did do my best and still wasn't able to finish - it was really a lot of work and I think her way of keeping me there). At least once a week she would casually drop in a conversation that I was staying until the end of that project. I would half smile and give her a serious look of No. Anyway, when classes were about to start, I handed in most things to the other interns and said goodbye. She didn't even turn to look at me when I went into her office. Afterwards she sent an email asking if I could do XYZ for her on the project. I didn't have the balls to say FU, but pretended I never saw it.

My latest FU experience was: I worked as a contractor at this really large multinational company and they merged my team with another in december (meaning they fired everyone from my team). They needed someone to do knowledge transfer to the new team and I was the lowest paid, so they did this amazing offer: you can get your thank-you bonus (2 months salary), work full time for two months (at double my previous PT salary), or work part time for two months (at my previous salary). I laughed out loud when I read this. It was the bonus OR work. So, knowing we can live full well and still save almost 40% of my boyfriend's income, I sat down and wrote a really sweet email where I said this offer made me feel like they didn't value my 3 years of work in the company, and I would love to do the transfer but can't do it only out of the goodness of my heart (these 4 words are actually on my email). In the end I got the bonus, plus full-time salary for 1 month, plus stayed another 4 months in an increased PT salary (because the new office incurred new expenses with transportation and lunch - which of course I banked on by bringing my own from home). And they asked me to stay more time, because I really did love the job and did it pretty well.

Now comes the real FU: for a long time I've been meaning to move to a smaller town, but how? Boyfriend and I passed for this govt job. He was called to fill the position in May, to start in June. If we both got called, we would have this really amazing income that would sum up to almost 100k a year, but no, I wasn't (I was next in line, but they decided they were done and closed the process). So suddenly we would be down to only one income (slightly larger than his previous salary but quite smaller than both of ours combined), and thinking what to do? Well, we have about two year's expenses stashed away, and we can still live comfortably on 50% of his new paycheck. So I kissed my job goodbye, we decided to move anyway and enjoy the new lifestyle, while I look for new opportunities on the new town or telecommuting. In this case, our FU money was the means to achieve a lifestyle choice, not necessarily to quit a job I hated (because I didn't really hate it).

And it's a great feeling to know that whatever money I make will go directly to the stash. I can't seem to see it grow fast enough.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #275 on: July 01, 2014, 10:57:42 PM »
offer: you can get your thank-you bonus (2 months salary), work full time for two months (at double my previous PT salary), or work part time for two months (at my previous salary). I laughed out loud when I read this. It was the bonus OR work.

So options #1 and #3 were the same amount of money, but #1 is no work and #3 requires work?  Doy.

farmstache

• Stubble
« Reply #276 on: July 01, 2014, 11:49:18 PM »
offer: you can get your thank-you bonus (2 months salary), work full time for two months (at double my previous PT salary), or work part time for two months (at my previous salary). I laughed out loud when I read this. It was the bonus OR work.

So options #1 and #3 were the same amount of money, but #1 is no work and #3 requires work?  Doy.

Yeah! That moment I actually wanted to say FU (and the bf actually told me to).

AH013

• Bristles
« Reply #277 on: July 02, 2014, 07:24:54 AM »

Yeah! That moment I actually wanted to say FU (and the bf actually told me to).

I bet they actually expect some people to continue working with an offer like that.  In a bizarre sort of sense, some people would think they would be in a stronger position while hunting for a new job if they are still presently employed....never mind they are sacrificing all those hours they could use job hunting working for no net benefit versus taking the severance.  Add to that they are throwing away another moderately well paying job -- job hunting while on unemployment (usually at 1/2 your regular pay)!

farmstache

• Stubble
« Reply #278 on: July 02, 2014, 04:15:45 PM »
I bet they actually expect some people to continue working with an offer like that.  In a bizarre sort of sense, some people would think they would be in a stronger position while hunting for a new job if they are still presently employed....never mind they are sacrificing all those hours they could use job hunting working for no net benefit versus taking the severance.  Add to that they are throwing away another moderately well paying job -- job hunting while on unemployment (usually at 1/2 your regular pay)!

As a contractor I didn't really have the possibility of getting on unemployment. I'll look into my local laws for this, but I'm pretty sure I can't. Maybe next time? I didn't have the "right" to a severance bonus either. But since they offered the OR, I asked for the AND. And got it. It was really sweet and I must say I only got the guts to negotiate it after reading several threads on this forum and following a few links to external resources on negotiating... Thanks, everyone!

jordanread

« Reply #279 on: July 02, 2014, 05:30:24 PM »

As a contractor I didn't really have the possibility of getting on unemployment. I'll look into my local laws for this, but I'm pretty sure I can't. Maybe next time? I didn't have the "right" to a severance bonus either. But since they offered the OR, I asked for the AND. And got it. It was really sweet and I must say I only got the guts to negotiate it after reading several threads on this forum and following a few links to external resources on negotiating... Thanks, everyone!

The optimism gun strikes again!! Fear is the mind killer, and you don't know what's possible unless you ask.

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #280 on: July 03, 2014, 09:28:20 AM »
Mine is not quite a "I have FU money right now" story, it is a, "I will have FU money in the future" story.

When I was 16, I was working at a mall department store.  I had originally said I could work every night of the week and all day on the weekends.  I graduated HS and began taking some night classes at the C.C.  My manager at the time was very nice, understanding, and accommodating.  She told me that my education was the most important thing in my life, because she didn't want me to end up like her, 40 something, living pay check to pay check.  Over time, I got fed up working there, so I told her I was leaving.  She asked me to stay because it would make her life easier if I could train my replacement.  I liked her, so I agreed.

Of course, she got promoted, and I got a really crappy manager.  I held out for a while, but one day I was scheduled to come in during one of my night classes.  I told my new manager that I needed to switch my schedule because I had class on Tuesday.  She said I couldn't switch because my employee profile said that I could work every night.  I told her that my schedule had changed since I graduated HS, and that my previous manager had honored my request for Tuesdays off.  She told me, get this, that I needed think about my priorities and get them straight.  My jaw dropped!  I told her that I did not need time to "think about it,"  I knew that my priority was college because, "I didn't want to end up like her, in my 40s working a miserable dead-end job." I was a typical teenager asshole!  She was surprised, and then even more surprised when I told her, that I decided that that was my last night there.  She demanded two weeks notice, which still included me missing class to come to work.  I said, nope!  I could not believe that I didn't get fired for mouthing off to her.

I had very little if any money, but I knew that my engineering degree was enough to say, "FU! I'm out!"

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #281 on: July 03, 2014, 04:18:44 PM »
She demanded two weeks notice, which still included me missing class to come to work.  I said, nope!  I could not believe that I didn't get fired for mouthing off to her.

Wow, she was a moron.  I think my response to that would have been "Okay, you drive a hard bargain, M'am, so even though I just quit, my last day will actually be two weeks from today instead of tonight.  And you are right:  I will be here on Tuesdays as well."  Then I would just have never come back. 

I find myself explaining the concept of "Nobody HAS TO do ANYTHING when it comes to a job" to people on a regular basis.  We've had more than one person just stop showing up, or email a resignation letter while they are on vacation (with the last day of work conveniently falling on a future date that they are still on vacation), or agree to take on a big project and then turn around and put an "I resign effective immediately" letter under the boss's door after hours, yet somehow the illusion that people have to keep coming into the office until they are given permission to leave persists.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #282 on: July 03, 2014, 05:08:56 PM »
She demanded two weeks notice, which still included me missing class to come to work.  I said, nope!  I could not believe that I didn't get fired for mouthing off to her.

Wow, she was a moron.  I think my response to that would have been "Okay, you drive a hard bargain, M'am, so even though I just quit, my last day will actually be two weeks from today instead of tonight.  And you are right:  I will be here on Tuesdays as well."  Then I would just have never come back. 

I find myself explaining the concept of "Nobody HAS TO do ANYTHING when it comes to a job" to people on a regular basis.  We've had more than one person just stop showing up, or email a resignation letter while they are on vacation (with the last day of work conveniently falling on a future date that they are still on vacation), or agree to take on a big project and then turn around and put an "I resign effective immediately" letter under the boss's door after hours, yet somehow the illusion that people have to keep coming into the office until they are given permission to leave persists.

Yeah, nobody HAS to leave bridges intact.  Some could burn them.

warfreak2

• Handlebar Stache
    • Music by me
« Reply #283 on: July 03, 2014, 05:15:36 PM »
If bridges start trying to walk over you, then you might not be worried about burning them.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #284 on: July 03, 2014, 08:21:23 PM »
Destroying a bridge might look easy in the movies, but remember: They're designed to withstand the immense shear-forces of wind and weather. Deploying an underwater M-32 satchel charge at the base of each load-bearing pylon looks like the answer, but it might not even shake a modern riveted steel highway or railroad bridge. Without delving into the complex language of the guerrilla combat engineer, the best advice I can give you is to forgo subtlety in favor of brute force: Put two satchel charges at each X-shaped trestle buck, and this should rob the bridge of any reinforcing strength and cause it to buckle nicely.

farmstache

• Stubble
« Reply #285 on: July 03, 2014, 08:49:35 PM »
Destroying a bridge might look easy in the movies, but remember: They're designed to withstand the immense shear-forces of wind and weather. Deploying an underwater M-32 satchel charge at the base of each load-bearing pylon looks like the answer, but it might not even shake a modern riveted steel highway or railroad bridge. Without delving into the complex language of the guerrilla combat engineer, the best advice I can give you is to forgo subtlety in favor of brute force: Put two satchel charges at each X-shaped trestle buck, and this should rob the bridge of any reinforcing strength and cause it to buckle nicely.

Can you please rewrite that in a way that explains the metaphor? I'm not sure you're saying we should explode our bosses or even what exactly is made to withstand wind and weather (the job market)? ;-)

Middlesbrough

• Bristles
« Reply #286 on: July 03, 2014, 09:07:13 PM »

Can you please rewrite that in a way that explains the metaphor? I'm not sure you're saying we should explode our bosses or even what exactly is made to withstand wind and weather (the job market)? ;-)
What my structural engineering buddy is trying to say is, create a chain type structure with your first hit and knock it down with the second.

If you burn your bridges, do it like a boss.

Michael792

• Stubble
    • Rising Ascendant
« Reply #287 on: July 03, 2014, 09:09:40 PM »

It's easy to quit in an epic manner, but you should remember that dick managers are pretty much born dicks: they're not going to give a shit about you quitting. So instead of using the old go-to Fuck-You-I'm-done methods of quitting, you need to quit in such a manner that no one's going to posses any illusions of a cordial exit. Instead of getting in a more-than-mild spat with said dick manager, the simplest and most effective thing to do is to fucking destroy any hope of good relations with that company, and make sure they know the entire mess is due to dick manager.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #288 on: July 03, 2014, 09:39:50 PM »

It's easy to quit in an epic manner, but you should remember that dick managers are pretty much born dicks: they're not going to give a shit about you quitting. So instead of using the old go-to Fuck-You-I'm-done methods of quitting, you need to quit in such a manner that no one's going to posses any illusions of a cordial exit. Instead of getting in a more-than-mild spat with said dick manager, the simplest and most effective thing to do is to fucking destroy any hope of good relations with that company, and make sure they know the entire mess is due to dick manager.

http://youtu.be/qfSAcVq6s9c?t=2m22s

Michael792

• Stubble
    • Rising Ascendant
« Reply #289 on: July 04, 2014, 02:54:44 AM »

http://youtu.be/qfSAcVq6s9c?t=2m22s

The international association of combat engineers approves of this message.

pom

• Bristles
« Reply #290 on: July 04, 2014, 05:04:34 AM »
She told me, get this, that I needed think about my priorities and get them straight. 

Haha, something similar happened to me too in the last year of HS when I worked in the kitchen of a restaurant. After I quit, the manager told me "it will look bad on your resume". As if graduating as an Actuary I was going to put my HS jobs on my resume and as if HR would care.

rabbit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #291 on: July 04, 2014, 10:03:48 AM »
Long time reader, first time poster here! My FU money story isn't very epic, but here goes. 
I recently gave my notice at a job I've worked at for over 10 years to go back to grad school full time in a field I'm passionate about.
As a 40 yo single mom of 2, I thought I would be stuck working at a job I hate forever; but after reading MMM and especially jlcollinsnh, I realized that I need to "work to live", not "live to work."
Since I've always been pretty mustachian, I had enough money saved to say FU to my crappy desk job and hello to my dream career. It's a huge step and I'm really excited to take it!

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #292 on: July 04, 2014, 12:21:56 PM »
Long time reader, first time poster here! My FU money story isn't very epic, but here goes. 
I recently gave my notice at a job I've worked at for over 10 years to go back to grad school full time in a field I'm passionate about.
As a 40 yo single mom of 2, I thought I would be stuck working at a job I hate forever; but after reading MMM and especially jlcollinsnh, I realized that I need to "work to live", not "live to work."
Since I've always been pretty mustachian, I had enough money saved to say FU to my crappy desk job and hello to my dream career. It's a huge step and I'm really excited to take it!

Congratulations!!

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #293 on: July 04, 2014, 12:37:31 PM »

Guppy in the radiator? (a special smell when the heat fires up)
Shrimp in the hollow space of a curtain rod?
Drop a steamer in a desk drawer right before the weekend and break the key off in the lock?
Annoy-a-trons placed in a few offices?
Offer the boss a "chocolate-covered" pretzel?
Leave a tray of ex lax brownies for all in the break room?

There are lots of ways to skin that cat.

zataks

• Bristles
« Reply #294 on: July 04, 2014, 12:39:49 PM »
Shrimp in the hollow space of a curtain rod?

Of all you posted, this seemed the most sinister to me.

msilenus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #295 on: July 04, 2014, 02:10:55 PM »

Dear Navy SEAL,

I am a happily married man with a warm and loving wife who is also my best friend. We've been together for 17 years and couldn't be happier. But lately she says she wants separate beds. I'm reeling! We're barely in our 40s, and in my mind separate sleeping is for seniors. Am I making too much of this? Help!

—Anxious In Andersonville

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #296 on: July 04, 2014, 04:01:51 PM »
Dr. Doom "But even decent jobs become intolerable when you're working under a toxic egomaniac workaholic inhuman prick.

One of the things I'm now fond of saying is that people usually don't leave their jobs.  They leave their managers. "

+ infinity ....
This ROCKS!
Businesses know this about managers/supervisors - how come they never appear to get rid of the TOXIN? They seem to prefer to let a lot of good, hard-working people quit, become disengaged (but stay), burn out, etc. rather than deal with the A number one asshat they MUST know is costing them productivity, engagement, quality, reputation, and loyalty.  It just boggles my mind...

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #297 on: July 04, 2014, 04:51:35 PM »
That's awesome, Rabbit!

Yeah, nobody HAS to leave bridges intact.  Some could burn them.

Deciding you don't have to do XYZ task or project, or even that you don't have to work there is not burning a bridge.  Heck, as long as you get along with most of your co-workers, you can score a glowing recommendation from "the former employer" by just listing a friend/colleague from the place as your reference.  I've served as this type of reference for tons of people.  Nobody really expects to be able to speak with your previous boss; half the time he or she is no longer even working there by the time you need a reference from the place.  It doesn't matter at all what your ex-boss thinks about how you left unless you immediately try to get your job back or another identical job across the street with your ex-boss's buddy. 

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #298 on: July 04, 2014, 06:16:51 PM »
Dear Navy SEAL,

I am a happily married man with a warm and loving wife who is also my best friend. We've been together for 17 years and couldn't be happier. But lately she says she wants separate beds. I'm reeling! We're barely in our 40s, and in my mind separate sleeping is for seniors. Am I making too much of this? Help!

While larger rounds incapacitate a target more reliably than the smaller 5.56, they are also much heavier to hump over the mountains. Being able to lay down a more ferocious volume of fire can be well worth the decrease in stopping power, especially when you have encountered a frisky opponent. Utilize your SAW gunner to suppress incoming fire, while your assault team maneuvers to better overrun the enemy position. If bounding proves difficult, remember, 5.56 can penetrate cover like Swiss cheese, although you will still be prudent to continuously engage targets until all teams have swept the objective area.

Michael792

• Stubble
    • Rising Ascendant
« Reply #299 on: July 04, 2014, 10:38:36 PM »
Dear Navy SEAL,

While larger rounds incapacitate a target more reliably than the smaller 5.56, they are also much heavier to hump over the mountains. Being able to lay down a more ferocious volume of fire can be well worth the decrease in stopping power, especially when you have encountered a frisky opponent. Utilize your SAW gunner to suppress incoming fire, while your assault team maneuvers to better overrun the enemy position. If bounding proves difficult, remember, 5.56 can penetrate cover like Swiss cheese, although you will still be prudent to continuously engage targets until all teams have swept the objective area.

Also, utilizing air and artillery support can shorten the effort, along with conserving your ammo. Definitely remember to sweep the kill zone afterward to eliminate survivors or take captives, mission depending. Once area is swept and the reports sent up, hopefully you can CM.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!