Author Topic: Epic FU money stories  (Read 644542 times)

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
Re: Fired or laid off
« Reply #1000 on: February 19, 2016, 10:22:44 AM »
A few years ago, I was surprised to find out that some people I know, originally from the US I think, distinguish between being fired versus being laid off:

• Being fired meaning a company terminated employment due to poor performance
  • Being laid off meaning a company terminated employment due to reorganization, downsizing, and so on

Because I don't think many people would volunteer to family, friends, or potential employers that they were fired for poor performance, I figured anyone who makes the distinction wouldn't say they were fired anyway. Meaning, even if they were in fact fired for poor performance, they'd say they were laid off.

The point being, I was using the terms interchangeably, not realizing others might have been attaching different meanings to the terms.

A colleague friend of mine, originally from the UK, uses the term sacked for all types of employment termination, I think. I don't think that works for US audiences though.

I've heard friends and family use "fired" to describe when the were indeed fired.

I've never known anyone to use the terms interchangeably.

I use the term "shit-canned" pretty routinely.  Even now, I'm a consultant and when the job is done, it's done.  I still say I was shit-canned to family and friends.  To business colleagues I usually say "I'm about to roll-off an assignment if you know of anything coming up".  I always put that in the future tense, so they don't think I'm out of work between jobs -- can make it more difficult to find the next one or to negotiate higher rates. 
Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand

msilenus

• Bristles
Re: Fired or laid off
« Reply #1001 on: February 19, 2016, 10:49:29 AM »
I use the term "shit-canned" pretty routinely.

Ever since I first heard the phrase "he was managed outside the company" I've preferred the term "shit-canned" for getting fired.

scottish

• Pencil Stache
Re: Epic FU money stories
« Reply #1002 on: February 19, 2016, 08:00:02 PM »
After the first 30,000 or 40,000 at Nortel, we started using the term 'whacked'.

"Fred got whacked in the last round."

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1003 on: February 20, 2016, 02:01:12 AM »
I liked "promoted to customer."

Bergal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1004 on: February 20, 2016, 06:33:19 AM »
After my company just shut down one part of the business - and all its workers - they hired "outplacement" experts to help the employees.  What a ridiculous euphemism. 

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1005 on: February 20, 2016, 10:19:16 PM »
Don't be like me: A story of having FU money and not using it when you should.  Friends, the biggest regret I have in my life so far is not quitting a toxic job when I should have, despite actually having adequate FU money to tide me over for quite awhile.  I work in biglaw, with the high hours and high pressure that goes along with that.  But more than that, I became the frog in boiling water over a two-year period, while my used-to-be-mentor found herself in a bad life crossroads and was essentially forced to come back to work under unfavorable terms.  As a result, she set out to prove herself as large and in-charge, and show the firm that those silly associates just couldn't possibly have handled her responsibilities, as we had been doing without her for a year.  In any event, the next two years of my life were buried in pure hell from her, as she was a huge bully, mean girl, moved deadlines to suit her and bury us, found countless ways to assert her power, etc.  Almost every deadline from her was "ASAP," but it was not enough to meet her deadlines -- no, you had to beat them!  I pointed out to her once that you cannot finish work any earlier than ASAP; by definition that is not possible.  That point actually flustered her for a minute while she continued to berate me for, I kid you not, going to a committee lunch for half an hour about three months earlier (yes, this stuck in her craw for three months before she raised it!) because I "could have been billing" during that time but had the nerve to go eat; coming in on a Saturday at noon and staying till 8 p.m., though she had arrived that Saturday at 9 a.m. and stayed till 1 p.m., even though I had specifically cleared it with her ahead of time that I had a conflict in the morning and probably would not arrive until 1 p.m. (so I actually got in an hour early) -- oh, she also mocked me for arriving and asking, "how can I help?"; sending her an email with the results of my assignment at 10:01 a.m., when my deadline was 10 a.m.; and not looking upset enough by her complaints.  I worked several weeks of all-nighters or only a few hours of sleep, developed stress-induced medical conditions (including one surgery, which made me rejoice for the break!), missed my grandmother's funeral to complete work for this lady (who knew her demand was causing me to miss the funeral, and she didn't even bother to thank me, and even got her henchman to tell me the very next week that "if I were being honest with myself, I'd know that I'm just not doing my best"), was strongly discouraged and told she was "disappointed" in me for going to take care of my father for a week after he was in a very bad accident, and this list could go on and on.  At the worst of it, she poisoned a new co-worker against me and others, stirred that pot, intentionally saying different things to the different groups to cause fights and then giving advice that contradicted what she was telling the others so that we would complain about each other and she could presumably somehow be the one person not in the fray.  This plan back-fired once our group realized the conniving shit that the boss lady was causing in an already stressful environment and the groups became friends again.  She treated me and others terribly, and there were so many times I was so fed up and at the end of my rope, but I never said enough is enough.  One awesome co-worker even told me that boss lady was abusing me and I shouldn't put up with it, but I was so lost, I sometimes even defended that boss lady, like she had a grain of truth good reason to be mean to me ("it's true, I did send that email at 10:01 and she asked for it by 10!".  So crazy.  I did go to the higher-ups and got some traction with them, although this b-lady was the golden child of the head of my group, which is why she always managed to get away with so much shit over these two years.  In the end, while my talks with the higher-ups were at their peak, the dragon lady ended up quitting.  I stayed through that, and I regret it every effing day.  Don't be like me -- if you have FU money and the circumstances of your job suck, then use that FU money!!!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 10:38:44 PM by LeRainDrop »

GreenSheep

• Pencil Stache

Zamboni

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1007 on: February 21, 2016, 08:02:48 AM »
I really like Samuel's story of telling HR he was retiring but not ever telling his supervisor. I wonder: how many places would that work? Probably a lot.

LeRainDrop, you have my sympathy. I worked for a similar person for 9 months when I was in college (in my case the supervisor was a man.) Never again. The young lady he hired to replace me told him to stuff it and walked out the first week she was there, and I immediately thought "hmmm, I should have done that!"

When I saw similar craziness traits starting to emerge from a recent supervisor, I immediately activated an exit strategy. It took me more than a year to execute the plan, but having a plan helped me stay sane, keep boundaries firm, and clam up and keep ideas to myself. These boundaries pissed her off even more than normal, of course, as she needed the constantly collect ideas from others so she could keep passing them off as her own ideas, so her level of unprofessional behavior escalated to ridiculous. Nonetheless, I got out and into a better department at the same employer. She still tries to lash out at me sometimes, but she's been caught in some lies related to how she does things and her credibility is finally shot with most people I think. Others have done the same -- escape her but stay in the giant machine -- so now there are several people are my very large employer who escaped the tentacles of this horrible boss. We all smile brightly when we see each other, and sometimes exchange brief stories of escaping her nonsense. At meetings I catch her current employees giving me looks that can other be described as imploring for help, but they are afraid to talk with anyone. In about two years there has been 80% turnover in her staff . . . and this is at a company where turnover is generally very low (my current office has less than 5% turnover in the same time frame.) A big bunch of her lies and unethical behavior got uncovered independently by a third department last year. She threw a subordinate under the bus and survived, although not unscathed in terms of reputation.

It's amazing that the small percent of people who are like these horrible bosses seem to manage to keep their jobs . . . more companies should adopt the No Asshole Rule.

homestead neohio

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal - Seeds Sprout
« Reply #1008 on: March 08, 2016, 08:18:26 PM »
Just finished binge-reading and this is an epic thread.  The thing that fascinates me about these stories is how shocked all the bosses are, because it is JUST THAT PERVASIVE that people are stuck in their jobs due to their spending habits and are therefore powerless (or feel powerless) to change their situations.  "Woe is me, a victim."  Every once in a while they encounter a badass who says FU.

I agree with so many others that FU money gives you sanity and options.  I chose not to use my FU money when a good employment situation turned bad (2 good years, 1 not so good, 2 bad), but knowing I could walk away from that job, even as the sole income earner in my family of 4, kept me sane.  DW encouraged me to leave multiple times due to obvious unhappiness, stress and unrealistic expectations.  We frequently would have to cancel weekend plans when told on Friday afternoon I was required to work all weekend, sometimes did not see my kids because I was working or commuting during their waking hours, various other BS.  I came up with coping strategies (took Friday's off to avoid weekend work requests), but those only lasted so long.  Co-workers were having breakdowns, going on meds, and getting divorces, but not quitting.  As I approached my breaking point at work, I started to push back.  If I was ready to walk away, why not just push back on the craziness instead of walking?  Worst they'd do is relieve me of my position, which I was about to do myself.  Every employment situation is different, but for me there were never any consequences of saying "no, I will not work then" or "I will not meet your [totally unrealistic] timeline, but can commit to getting that done by [realistic timeline]".  If told, "that is unacceptable", I'd just say, "I'm sorry that what is possible is not acceptable to you."  I tried to make it about my crazy manager's expectation problem, not my output problem, though it took energy to fend off the unrealistic expectations.  I kept collecting my paycheck while looking for other jobs.  There were still sacrifices including some minor health issues due to stress and being overall unhappy and irritable, which did affect my family life.  I chose to accept this for a time as I did not know how long a job search would take given my desire to stay local and limited local employers in my field. 

It would have immediately felt good to quit, but I suspect I would have gotten stressed over time if I was not finding employment, and I would have felt like I have to take the first thing that came along.  This way I got to keep the 'stache for which I had worked so hard.

I don't know if I would make the same decisions today (and with my current 'stache), but in the end I got a great job at more pay with a good boss at a growing company, so it all worked out. 

I understand the comments people have made in this thread that taking an FU attitude is unhealthy, and they'd rather keep it positive and move on to other opportunities without a focus on hurting a boss, team or company.  I get that, and that is clearly best.  But I've also been in "that situation" where you WANT to deal out a fraction of the harm they've done to you as a matter of JUSTICE, because you are in a position of power to do so.  I did not do anything epic when I left my prior employer, but oh how I fantasized about it. 

Keep the FU stories coming.

happy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1009 on: March 09, 2016, 03:05:46 AM »
Not exactly an epic story, but a while back I changed jobs and decided to take a couple of months of paid leave to decompress between jobs. The leave was part annual leave and part long service leave. It was all approved and off I went. It took a while for the paperwork to trickle up the line and a boss somewhere near the top of the line decided to not approve the LSL component. Theoretically they can do that, but its pretty unusual. Apparently everyone in my dept was arguing about who's job it was  to ring me up to tell me. Anyway the deal was  come back to work or take leave without pay. 

Having very adequate FU money it was SO nice to not turn a hair and say I would take the leave without pay.  People were quite shocked because everyone expected I would have to come back to work and couldn't survive 4 weeks or so with no income.  Being public service, my leave entitlements are transferred with me, so sooner or later I'll be paid for the leave, so no loss to me.
Journalling at Happy Aussie Downshifter

Elle 8

• Stubble
« Reply #1010 on: March 09, 2016, 04:32:22 AM »
... Co-workers were having breakdowns, going on meds, and getting divorces, but not quitting. ...

That's horrible!

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1011 on: March 09, 2016, 08:40:17 AM »
Not exactly an epic story, but a while back I changed jobs and decided to take a couple of months of paid leave to decompress between jobs. The leave was part annual leave and part long service leave. It was all approved and off I went. It took a while for the paperwork to trickle up the line and a boss somewhere near the top of the line decided to not approve the LSL component. Theoretically they can do that, but its pretty unusual. Apparently everyone in my dept was arguing about who's job it was  to ring me up to tell me. Anyway the deal was  come back to work or take leave without pay. 

Having very adequate FU money it was SO nice to not turn a hair and say I would take the leave without pay.  People were quite shocked because everyone expected I would have to come back to work and couldn't survive 4 weeks or so with no income.  Being public service, my leave entitlements are transferred with me, so sooner or later I'll be paid for the leave, so no loss to me.
So you got to have your cake and eat it too. Good on you! Thanks to you and homestead neohio for reviving this thread, it's one of my favorites.
I did it! I have a journal!
A Lot Like This
And hell yes, I am still moving confidently in the direction of my dreams...

mm1970

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1012 on: March 09, 2016, 11:49:08 AM »
If I was ready to walk away, why not just push back on the craziness instead of walking?  Worst they'd do is relieve me of my position, which I was about to do myself.  Every employment situation is different, but for me there were never any consequences of saying "no, I will not work then" or "I will not meet your [totally unrealistic] timeline, but can commit to getting that done by [realistic timeline]".  If told, "that is unacceptable", I'd just say, "I'm sorry that what is possible is not acceptable to you."  I tried to make it about my crazy manager's expectation problem, not my output problem, though it took energy to fend off the unrealistic expectations.  I kept collecting my paycheck while looking for other jobs. 

I really like this.  I have been at my company for almost 8 years, with a similar issue.  A few great years, then a slide, a couple of very very bad ones.  While I was good at pushing back on work hours the whole time, I found it frustrating for other reasons (being constantly reorganized with new bosses and new responsibilities).  I still had lots of stress, but for awhile realized that working my tail off was getting me nowhere.

So I worked, and looked for a new job.  Didn't find one, but years later now am in a new position with a new boss (same company), and it's MUCH better.  And I collected 2 years of a paycheck in the mean time.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 12:24:48 PM by mm1970 »

CorpRaider

• Stubble
« Reply #1013 on: March 09, 2016, 12:08:42 PM »
Don't be like me: A story of having FU money and not using it when you should.  Friends, the biggest regret I have in my life so far is not quitting a toxic job when I should have, despite actually having adequate FU money to tide me over for quite awhile.  I work in biglaw, with the high hours and high pressure that goes along with that.  But more than that, I became the frog in boiling water over a two-year period, while my used-to-be-mentor found herself in a bad life crossroads and was essentially forced to come back to work under unfavorable terms.  As a result, she set out to prove herself as large and in-charge, and show the firm that those silly associates just couldn't possibly have handled her responsibilities, as we had been doing without her for a year.  In any event, the next two years of my life were buried in pure hell from her, as she was a huge bully, mean girl, moved deadlines to suit her and bury us, found countless ways to assert her power, etc.  Almost every deadline from her was "ASAP," but it was not enough to meet her deadlines -- no, you had to beat them!  I pointed out to her once that you cannot finish work any earlier than ASAP; by definition that is not possible.  That point actually flustered her for a minute while she continued to berate me for, I kid you not, going to a committee lunch for half an hour about three months earlier (yes, this stuck in her craw for three months before she raised it!) because I "could have been billing" during that time but had the nerve to go eat; coming in on a Saturday at noon and staying till 8 p.m., though she had arrived that Saturday at 9 a.m. and stayed till 1 p.m., even though I had specifically cleared it with her ahead of time that I had a conflict in the morning and probably would not arrive until 1 p.m. (so I actually got in an hour early) -- oh, she also mocked me for arriving and asking, "how can I help?"; sending her an email with the results of my assignment at 10:01 a.m., when my deadline was 10 a.m.; and not looking upset enough by her complaints.  I worked several weeks of all-nighters or only a few hours of sleep, developed stress-induced medical conditions (including one surgery, which made me rejoice for the break!), missed my grandmother's funeral to complete work for this lady (who knew her demand was causing me to miss the funeral, and she didn't even bother to thank me, and even got her henchman to tell me the very next week that "if I were being honest with myself, I'd know that I'm just not doing my best"), was strongly discouraged and told she was "disappointed" in me for going to take care of my father for a week after he was in a very bad accident, and this list could go on and on.  At the worst of it, she poisoned a new co-worker against me and others, stirred that pot, intentionally saying different things to the different groups to cause fights and then giving advice that contradicted what she was telling the others so that we would complain about each other and she could presumably somehow be the one person not in the fray.  This plan back-fired once our group realized the conniving shit that the boss lady was causing in an already stressful environment and the groups became friends again.  She treated me and others terribly, and there were so many times I was so fed up and at the end of my rope, but I never said enough is enough.  One awesome co-worker even told me that boss lady was abusing me and I shouldn't put up with it, but I was so lost, I sometimes even defended that boss lady, like she had a grain of truth good reason to be mean to me ("it's true, I did send that email at 10:01 and she asked for it by 10!".  So crazy.  I did go to the higher-ups and got some traction with them, although this b-lady was the golden child of the head of my group, which is why she always managed to get away with so much shit over these two years.  In the end, while my talks with the higher-ups were at their peak, the dragon lady ended up quitting.  I stayed through that, and I regret it every effing day.  Don't be like me -- if you have FU money and the circumstances of your job suck, then use that FU money!!!

Yeah, I had a similar albeit much less psychotic partner once.  She started out great and just went psycho over time as well.  I didn't have FU money but I still bailed right during the financial crisis and man were they dumbstruck that I had to stroke (good fortune really) to make a move right in the middle of a nuclear winter.

jlajr

• Stubble
« Reply #1014 on: March 09, 2016, 11:27:51 PM »
...As I approached my breaking point at work, I started to push back.  If I was ready to walk away, why not just push back on the craziness instead of walking?  Worst they'd do is relieve me of my position, which I was about to do myself.  Every employment situation is different, but for me there were never any consequences of saying "no, I will not work then" or "I will not meet your [totally unrealistic] timeline, but can commit to getting that done by [realistic timeline]".  If told, "that is unacceptable", I'd just say, "I'm sorry that what is possible is not acceptable to you."  I tried to make it about my crazy manager's expectation problem, not my output problem, though it took energy to fend off the unrealistic expectations.  I kept collecting my paycheck while looking for other jobs.  There were still sacrifices including some minor health issues due to stress and being overall unhappy and irritable, which did affect my family life.  I chose to accept this for a time as I did not know how long a job search would take given my desire to stay local and limited local employers in my field. 

It would have immediately felt good to quit, but I suspect I would have gotten stressed over time if I was not finding employment, and I would have felt like I have to take the first thing that came along.  This way I got to keep the 'stache for which I had worked so hard...

I know exactly how you felt, applaud you for recognizing that the source of the problem was external not internal, and expressing that recognition.

Between April of last year until about two months ago, I was extremely frustrated at work and looking for another job (which would require moving where I live). If I had been offered any of the jobs for which I applied, I would have accepted it with no hesitation.

Unfortunately, after months of a frustrating job search, usually driving at least two hours each way to interviews/tests and taking vacation time to do so, I decided that I would no longer actively look for another job. I also decided not to move from where I current live and leave my current job, before accepting another position. As you did, I decided to allow my Stash to continue to grow instead of possibly using it to cover expenses while looking for a job.

Coming to these decisions has made a huge difference. I have not fully returned to my pre-April 2015 state of being extremely happy with my situation - but I am nonetheless happy, regardless of what my managers have or have not done, are or are not doing, and will or will not do.

I do what I need to do to maintain a healthy state of mind - such as freely speak my mind or flatly refuse to do certain tasks. The worst-case scenario, as far as I can tell, would be my current employer firing me (or laying me off, or whatever you choose to call it), with a contract-required notice of two months. As that's a fairly attractive option from my point of view, if that happens, I'd simply say something like "Great. Thank you.", leave the office, tell my landlord I'm exercising the clause in my lease that allows me to cancel it with two months' notice, and start looking for a new job and a new place to live.

I actually joke with colleagues that happy jlajr can be just as annoying as frustrated jlajr, and that I suspect that they have started putting happy pills in my lunch. :)

2Birds1Stone

• Magnum Stache
  • CFO
« Reply #1015 on: March 10, 2016, 07:06:58 AM »
I have only been at my current job for 1.5 years. The money has been really good considering the hours and stress level.

Things are quickly changing, company is laying people off, pulling accounts away from our sales team, increasing quotas, and creating unrealistic expectations and seriously inhibiting out ability to make money.

I am one of the few on my team who has some FU $ saved up. No epic story but we will see how this scenario unfolds for me.

I am not afraid to leave, though for now I will stick it out and see what happens.
"A small house can hold as much happiness as a big one." - Fortune Cookie

33 Months till FIRE - Stop by, or stay a while.....
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/fire-by-thirty-five-chronicles-36-months-till-sabbatical!/

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1016 on: March 10, 2016, 07:25:58 AM »
I have only been at my current job for 1.5 years. The money has been really good considering the hours and stress level.

Things are quickly changing, company is laying people off, pulling accounts away from our sales team, increasing quotas, and creating unrealistic expectations and seriously inhibiting out ability to make money.

I am one of the few on my team who has some FU $ saved up. No epic story but we will see how this scenario unfolds for me.

I am not afraid to leave, though for now I will stick it out and see what happens.

All hands! Abandon ship!

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1017 on: March 10, 2016, 08:43:31 AM »

All hands! Abandon ship!

This is a depressing thread.  I can't say I've ever had a horrible boss - one that wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed, but he cared about his employees.  I've just moved on when a company changed hands and just became too large or when they seemed to lose their edge, each time moving to a better situation.  Current job is ideal. 

Plenty of fodder here for Dilbert episodes.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 09:34:46 AM by Northwestie »

2Birds1Stone

• Magnum Stache
  • CFO
« Reply #1018 on: March 10, 2016, 08:49:21 AM »

All hands! Abandon ship!
I'm going to hold off for now. I received a healthy bump to base salary. If/when things get bad enough to warrant my exit. It will be swift and unexpected for my employer.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/fire-by-thirty-five-chronicles-36-months-till-sabbatical!/

chetmanly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1019 on: March 10, 2016, 09:44:06 AM »
A degree makes you an expert. That's hilarious.

That being said, given the part had failed three times before and replaced three times, that suggests something else is wrong. So good call. Wrong reason.

It takes a lot more than a degree to get a PE cert. I was an engineer for years (with a degree) and never had one.

Thank you for correcting me.

RobFIRE

• Bristles
  • Projected FIRE May 2020
« Reply #1020 on: March 13, 2016, 04:44:58 AM »
I've read through this thread over the last few days. Some very interesting and entertaining posts.

My own non-story FU money story is that about 18 months ago I asked (politely and with several weeks' notice) to work remotely. I was working on a software project that had me at client office 3 or 4 days a week anyway so working from home the other days didn't seem to me to be a major step. I knew that if it were refused I had FU money so would have the choice to resign, negotiate harder, or accept it. It was accepted, so no need to even declare existence of FU money. For me that's the point of FU money really: it's entertaining to hear about occasions of real FU moments, bridge burning/revenge can seem cathartic in that instant, but the real point of FU money is giving you real control/options so no work situation leaves you with no choice or powerless to act.

(By that definition I would say that if you don't feel you have full control, e.g. only have up to a few month's core expenses, then it's "emergency fund" rather than "FU money" territory and likely only used as a "last resort")

RedmondStash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1021 on: March 13, 2016, 10:41:41 AM »
Great thread. Lots of food for thought.

After a couple of decades in IT, I moved into the videogames industry. If I thought IT was dysfunctional, boy howdy did I not know I was hopping from frying pan into fire.

When I didn't have FU money, I stayed in a couple of toxic jobs in IT. When I finally did have it, I used it not only to leave two really toxic jobs (and managers), but to tell them, professionally and clearly, exactly what I thought of them and why I was leaving. The second job was my dream job, too; I would still be there had I not had a horrible, self-serving manager who had no experience of reasonable business practice outside the games industry.

For me, leaving those jobs was almost as brutal as being in them. The FU money did not give me a sense of pride and accomplishment when I left; I was physically ill and miserable for a long time. Was it me, was I just not employable, would I never find a good job, etc. What the FU money did give me was an exit and time to recuperate.

And yeah. People leave managers, not jobs. The jobs, I liked fine. The managers, not so much.

Now I have a really great job. I love the work, the people, my team, and my manager. I also love knowing that if anyone tries to push me around, I can just saunter out the door and never come back. Because you never know; it's a volatile industry, and people move around all the time. My coworkers' desks are covered with knick-knacks and toys; mine has almost nothing personal, and no more stuff than I can take home in a single box.

So FU money didn't give me any awesome exit stories, but it does give me more confidence and freedom from worry about the future, which lets me enjoy my work even more. It also lets me take jobs I really want even if they don't pay well. Funny thing, though -- when my current company wanted to transition me from contractor to permanent employee, my FU money put me in a position to risk asking for a higher salary to compensate for the pay cut I'd taken when I took the job to begin with. And I got it.

So my FU money led to higher income too. :)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 10:43:47 AM by RedmondStash »

Daleth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1022 on: March 13, 2016, 11:41:21 AM »
One month into my 3-month maternity leave, I took my departing in-laws to the airport.  I drove home thinking, "two more months home along with a toddler and a baby."  God help me.

When I got home, I was shocked to find DH was there.  Tuns out half the company got laid off, including him.  We high-fived.

That, man. THAT RIGHT THERE. The fact that you can react to a layoff, especially one that hits right after a child is born, with high-fives is THE ENTIRE POINT OF THIS WEBSITE, amirite?? That's what we're all going for: liberation from money-related stress! People who aren't liberated would react to that with tears and possibly acrimony so bad it leads to divorce.

Zoot

• Stubble
« Reply #1023 on: March 13, 2016, 12:30:07 PM »
One month into my 3-month maternity leave, I took my departing in-laws to the airport.  I drove home thinking, "two more months home along with a toddler and a baby."  God help me.

When I got home, I was shocked to find DH was there.  Tuns out half the company got laid off, including him.  We high-fived.

That, man. THAT RIGHT THERE. The fact that you can react to a layoff, especially one that hits right after a child is born, with high-fives is THE ENTIRE POINT OF THIS WEBSITE, amirite?? That's what we're all going for: liberation from money-related stress! People who aren't liberated would react to that with tears and possibly acrimony so bad it leads to divorce.

Oh, how I wish the forum had a "like" button and that I could press it 10^6 times. 

I've read the entire thread, beginning to end, and have an e-mail alert set up so I can know when responses posted (haven't posted-to-follow until now, though!), but I had forgotten about this story.  Daleth, thanks so much for highlighting it and bringing it before my eyes again--feelingroovy, I keep re-reading this amazing post-partum high-five story and letting it sink in, and in, and in some more--and tears well up in my eyes as I think how wonderful it is that your family knew PEACE in the aftermath of the layoff. 

This site freaking ROCKS.  :)

Sofa King

• Bristles
« Reply #1024 on: March 13, 2016, 05:42:31 PM »
[
This site freaking ROCKS.  :)

I concur!!!

RedmondStash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1025 on: March 14, 2016, 05:32:37 PM »

Yes. This. My spouse got laid off unexpectedly during massive company cuts many years ago, and it was AWESOME. A little weird at first, having the rug yanked out from under you like that, but that was the happiest, laziest, most relaxed summer we'd spent together in years. Best thing that could have happened for our marriage.

And all because we live within our means and save up extra $$. I still don't get why that's so hard for people who earn decent wages. Maybe someday, more people will start doing it and reaping the rewards. Man, I hope so.

mm1970

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1026 on: March 15, 2016, 09:26:01 AM »

Yes. This. My spouse got laid off unexpectedly during massive company cuts many years ago, and it was AWESOME. A little weird at first, having the rug yanked out from under you like that, but that was the happiest, laziest, most relaxed summer we'd spent together in years. Best thing that could have happened for our marriage.

And all because we live within our means and save up extra $$. I still don't get why that's so hard for people who earn decent wages. Maybe someday, more people will start doing it and reaping the rewards. Man, I hope so.
One of my former bosses has been laid off a lot.  I mean, he's almost 60.  He's able to move seamlessly from engineering to management to VP-dom. 

This guy was my MMM soul-mate.  We'd eat our packed lunches (some times he would just bring a baked potato) and talk about savings.  Some gems.
- He once spent an entire summer off with his kids, didn't bother looking for a job
- He owns two homes (one San Diego, one Santa Barbara) and some agricultural land.  He goes back and forth every couple of weeks.
- When he got bored with being the VP, he moved over to a job that required a lot of travel to Asia. Hmmm gee I wonder how he afforded that trip to Italy, eh?
- He's been laid off for almost 2 years. Didn't even look for a job for the first year (fixing up his new house).  Looked for a little while. Now he's busy making wine for fun (I hear it's good).

He has never sweat the layoffs.

2Birds1Stone

• Magnum Stache
  • CFO
« Reply #1027 on: March 15, 2016, 09:28:59 AM »

One of my former bosses has been laid off a lot.  I mean, he's almost 60.  He's able to move seamlessly from engineering to management to VP-dom. 

This guy was my MMM soul-mate.  We'd eat our packed lunches (some times he would just bring a baked potato) and talk about savings.  Some gems.
- He once spent an entire summer off with his kids, didn't bother looking for a job
- He owns two homes (one San Diego, one Santa Barbara) and some agricultural land.  He goes back and forth every couple of weeks.
- When he got bored with being the VP, he moved over to a job that required a lot of travel to Asia. Hmmm gee I wonder how he afforded that trip to Italy, eh?
- He's been laid off for almost 2 years. Didn't even look for a job for the first year (fixing up his new house).  Looked for a little while. Now he's busy making wine for fun (I hear it's good).

He has never sweat the layoffs.

The ultimate FI lifestyle =)

Mr. Green

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1028 on: March 15, 2016, 10:12:36 AM »
Not epic but kinda fun.

A few weeks back, one of my managers asked me if I would mind being added to the call-in rotation temporarily. We had a few people leave our operations team and the Ops people that were left were bitching about how frequently they were on call. It didn't happen and I was glad for that, since I didn't really want to be on call. Plus it's not my job. Yesterday, my manager stopped by and told me he was having me added to the end of the current on-call rotation. June 30 is my last day so I emailed him and said no. I said I needed every weekend I had left before my last day to be prepared for my upcoming journey (I'm thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail). He backed down. If I were not already leaving I wouldn't have said no because I'm a nice guy.
FIRE, Take Two.

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
  • Live Long, Live Free, Drop Dead
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #1029 on: March 15, 2016, 10:34:08 AM »
Not epic but kinda fun.

A few weeks back, one of my managers asked me if I would mind being added to the call-in rotation temporarily. We had a few people leave our operations team and the Ops people that were left were bitching about how frequently they were on call. It didn't happen and I was glad for that, since I didn't really want to be on call. Plus it's not my job. Yesterday, my manager stopped by and told me he was having me added to the end of the current on-call rotation. June 30 is my last day so I emailed him and said no. I said I needed every weekend I had left before my last day to be prepared for my upcoming journey (I'm thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail). He backed down. If I were not already leaving I wouldn't have said no because I'm a nice guy.

Okay, where are you documenting this journey of your hike through the AT? It's on my list, and has been discussed in the FIRE Adventures Map Thread.
Join the cycling challenge!
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

Camp Mustache Canada - Sold Out Already!!

2Birds1Stone

• Magnum Stache
  • CFO
« Reply #1030 on: March 15, 2016, 10:49:52 AM »
(I'm thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail).

I'm genuinely smuckered.

Vertical Mode

• Bristles
« Reply #1031 on: March 15, 2016, 10:56:16 AM »
Not epic but kinda fun.

1. Nice! Good demonstration of the power of FUnds. I'm hoping to do the same thing in a few years, take a break and go thru-hike.
2. Northbound or Southbound?
"That is why you will never be a good detective, Cato. It's so obvious, it cannot POSSIBLY be a trap..."

Link to my Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/trending-vertical-vertical-modes-journal/

Mr. Green

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1032 on: March 15, 2016, 11:07:12 AM »
Okay, where are you documenting this journey of your hike through the AT? It's on my list, and has been discussed in the FIRE Adventures Map Thread.
I'm still unsure of this. I dislike the notion of typing because it cannot keep up with speed of thought. For this I've considered a voice recorder, but that doesn't easily translate to online content (for family and friends). I've considered making a series in my FIRE blog (see signature) for this but I'm not sure if I want to commit to blogging while on trail. I really want the experience to be immersive, while providing a break from tech since that's been my career for the last 11 years. I've also considered buying the looseleaf version of AWOL's AT Guide so I can mark them up with thoughts and notes and send them home. That would make a nice memento from the trip without being burdensome to keep So I'm undecided.

SOBO (Southbound)! My mother, sister, and wife are driving me up to Maine July 2nd. We'll hike up Katahdin on the 3rd, then I'll head south from there.
FIRE, Take Two.

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #1033 on: March 15, 2016, 11:15:50 AM »
I'm still unsure of this. I dislike the notion of typing because it cannot keep up with speed of thought. For this I've considered a voice recorder, but that doesn't easily translate to online content (for family and friends). I've considered making a series in my FIRE blog (see signature) for this but I'm not sure if I want to commit to blogging while on trail. I really want the experience to be immersive, while providing a break from tech since that's been my career for the last 11 years. I've also considered buying the looseleaf version of AWOL's AT Guide so I can mark them up with thoughts and notes and send them home. That would make a nice memento from the trip without being burdensome to keep So I'm undecided.

I like the idea of a voice recorder. Extra batteries or a solar charger. It won't be as immersive for the readers (but really, it's your adventure, so the readers should come in second), but when you get back, you can translate your recordings to a mega post. Just let me know where. Also, have a wonderful time!!!
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

2Birds1Stone

• Magnum Stache
  • CFO
« Reply #1034 on: March 15, 2016, 11:20:50 AM »

SOBO (Southbound)! My mother, sister, and wife are driving me up to Maine July 2nd. We'll hike up Katahdin on the 3rd, then I'll head south from there.

July is a late start no? I've been in the Berkshires in September and it's been well below freezing at night.

Mr. Green

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1035 on: March 15, 2016, 11:24:21 AM »

July is a late start no? I've been in the Berkshires in September and it's been well below freezing at night.
July would be too late for a NOBO but for a SOBO it's on the tail end of fine, assuming the average pace (5-6 months). I'll be south of Harper's Ferry, WV by the end of September. I intend to catch the fall color change as I move through the Shenendoahs and the Great Smoky Mountains.
FIRE, Take Two.

2Birds1Stone

• Magnum Stache
  • CFO
« Reply #1036 on: March 15, 2016, 12:20:07 PM »
July would be too late for a NOBO but for a SOBO it's on the tail end of fine, assuming the average pace (5-6 months). I'll be south of Harper's Ferry, WV by the end of September. I intend to catch the fall color change as I move through the Shenendoahs and the Great Smoky Mountains.

Very cool! I would 100% meet up with you for a section either in the Harriman Park, NY or Delaware Water Gap, PA area this summer! I want to Thru-hike as well in a few years when the FU stache is larger and I can take 6 months off from working. I plan on doing it Flip Flop Style. Start in WV in spring, hike north with the spring flowers/weather, and then go back to WV once I reach the north end and hike down from WV to GA in the fall.

Prodigal Daughter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1037 on: March 15, 2016, 12:23:36 PM »

That is one of my favorite places. An old job had me near Harper's Ferry once or twice a year in early winter and spring staying in a retreat space for a week at a time. The AT went along the ridge above the cabin if I remember correctly. Good memories. Beautiful location.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1038 on: March 15, 2016, 12:26:53 PM »

That is one of my favorite places. An old job had me near Harper's Ferry once or twice a year in early winter and spring staying in a retreat space for a week at a time. The AT went along the ridge above the cabin if I remember correctly. Good memories. Beautiful location.

I walked a bit of the train in NY as part of a week long class trip in 5th grade. A few years later, I lived about a mile from the trail and it goes through town so at some point, you'll pass where I used to live :).

Mr. Green

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1039 on: March 15, 2016, 12:37:59 PM »
I live 45 minutes from Harper's Ferry and it's my favorite place to hike. The AT runs through the town, the C&O Canal is right across the river, and the Maryland Heights trail is across the river too, with a stunning overlook of historic Harper's Ferry.
FIRE, Take Two.

mm1970

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1040 on: March 15, 2016, 03:03:16 PM »
Not epic but kinda fun.

Yes, will you be blogging?

A few years ago (probably when I had my second kid), I got suckered into reading the blog of a woman who thru-hiked the PCT.  (See, my niece thru-hiked the AT, then I  found the blog of a guy who thru hiked the PCT and ended on the same day.  Living in CA, I googled PCT and found her blog.  And it was awesome.  Weather hit early that year, she missed finishing by about 60 miles - tried to "finish" via roads instead of passes, and the damn sequester closed the National parks up near the Canadian border.)

I have no time anymore.  She still blogs infrequently (as a tandem-trucker with her husband), but discovered that she hiked the ADT 10 years ago with her mom.  I totally want to go read that journal.

Mr. Green

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1041 on: March 15, 2016, 03:08:42 PM »
Not epic but kinda fun.

Yes, will you be blogging?

A few years ago (probably when I had my second kid), I got suckered into reading the blog of a woman who thru-hiked the PCT.  (See, my niece thru-hiked the AT, then I  found the blog of a guy who thru hiked the PCT and ended on the same day.  Living in CA, I googled PCT and found her blog.  And it was awesome.  Weather hit early that year, she missed finishing by about 60 miles - tried to "finish" via roads instead of passes, and the damn sequester closed the National parks up near the Canadian border.)

I have no time anymore.  She still blogs infrequently (as a tandem-trucker with her husband), but discovered that she hiked the ADT 10 years ago with her mom.  I totally want to go read that journal.
I want to record my thoughts in some fashion but I'm not committing to blogging just yet. I think it would be an enjoyable experience if I were using speech-to-text software. No way I want to be typing blog length entries on my phone. I'll probably set my blog up up for blogging via email when I leave so that I have that option and if I feel inclined to do it, I will.
FIRE, Take Two.

RyanAtTanagra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1042 on: March 15, 2016, 03:14:50 PM »
I want to record my thoughts in some fashion but I'm not committing to blogging just yet. I think it would be an enjoyable experience if I were using speech-to-text software. No way I want to be typing blog length entries on my phone. I'll probably set my blog up up for blogging via email when I leave so that I have that option and if I feel inclined to do it, I will.

What I do on motorcycle trips is record quick highlights in a notepad at the end of the day.  Just enough so I'll remember what I was referring to when I read it later.  Then when I get home I type up a full trip report using my notes.  Though that's only been 10 days at the longest, so that might be hard to do for months on end and still remember what I was talking about by the end.  I'd probably go a full notebook route though, and journal at the end of each day, just because I'd be hesitant to use technology any more than needed, and there's a feeling of connectedness more compatible with being in nature that I get with a notebook that I wouldn't get with a voice recorder or laptop.

GreenSheep

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1043 on: March 16, 2016, 08:33:21 AM »
^ I second that. I keep a little travel journal for any traveling I do (backpacking or otherwise), and although I can type quite fast, I enjoy the fact that writing with a pen forces me to slow down and be concise. And yes, it seems much more in line with being in nature. I can always expand a particular day, experience, etc. into a longer passage by typing when I get home.

Cannot Wait!

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #1044 on: March 16, 2016, 11:38:09 AM »
Can someone tell me how to add a picture?  I have an epic story that you'd have to see to believe...
806228541398102 is my referral code for Questrade and 48650126S1 for Tangerine.  Hey, why not?

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #1045 on: March 16, 2016, 11:42:06 AM »
Can someone tell me how to add a picture?  I have an epic story that you'd have to see to believe...

Upload it to Imgur, click the image, then copy and paste the part underneath "BBCode (message boards & forums)"

Here's a monkey chilling and eating a banana.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 11:43:46 AM by Zikoris »
Blogging about frugality, travel, and Vancouver life - www.incomingassets.wordpress.com

I also have a journal! http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/the-zikoris-diaries/

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #1046 on: March 16, 2016, 11:42:26 AM »

Use the img tag. Wrap it around the link to a picture [ img]image url[/img ] (no spaces). Also, you can attach it.

Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

Cannot Wait!

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #1047 on: March 16, 2016, 11:47:28 AM »
I attached it.  Maybe it just doesn't show up in the preview?
806228541398102 is my referral code for Questrade and 48650126S1 for Tangerine.  Hey, why not?

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #1048 on: March 16, 2016, 11:49:01 AM »
I attached it.  Maybe it just doesn't show up in the preview?

lol.
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

green daisy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1049 on: March 16, 2016, 11:52:25 AM »
We're in the midst of one.  Our daughter has a disability for which she requires an accommodation in order to participate in a specific school situation. The school district is refusing to provide her with that accommodation and instead is trying to bribe us to go away by offering us $20k to sign a document agreeing to waive her rights to participate in that specific school activity.  We told them to take their offer and shove it (politely, of coarse).  They even had their district physician call her doctor and try to get him to talk us into accepting their offer.  Of coarse, this offer was made verbally and they never gave us the document, so they will just lie and say it never happened.  If we were given the document, I would pass it on to the Office of Civil Rights.  They're still not giving her the accommodation that she needs, but regardless, I will never have to look my daughter in the eye and say she can't do x activity like all her friends because we are paid for her not to.