Author Topic: Epic FU money stories  (Read 2794824 times)

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Epic FU money stories
« Reply #1000 on: March 13, 2016, 10:41:41 AM »
Great thread. Lots of food for thought.

After a couple of decades in IT, I moved into the videogames industry. If I thought IT was dysfunctional, boy howdy did I not know I was hopping from frying pan into fire.

When I didn't have FU money, I stayed in a couple of toxic jobs in IT. When I finally did have it, I used it not only to leave two really toxic jobs (and managers), but to tell them, professionally and clearly, exactly what I thought of them and why I was leaving. The second job was my dream job, too; I would still be there had I not had a horrible, self-serving manager who had no experience of reasonable business practice outside the games industry.

For me, leaving those jobs was almost as brutal as being in them. The FU money did not give me a sense of pride and accomplishment when I left; I was physically ill and miserable for a long time. Was it me, was I just not employable, would I never find a good job, etc. What the FU money did give me was an exit and time to recuperate.

And yeah. People leave managers, not jobs. The jobs, I liked fine. The managers, not so much.

Now I have a really great job. I love the work, the people, my team, and my manager. I also love knowing that if anyone tries to push me around, I can just saunter out the door and never come back. Because you never know; it's a volatile industry, and people move around all the time. My coworkers' desks are covered with knick-knacks and toys; mine has almost nothing personal, and no more stuff than I can take home in a single box.

So FU money didn't give me any awesome exit stories, but it does give me more confidence and freedom from worry about the future, which lets me enjoy my work even more. It also lets me take jobs I really want even if they don't pay well. Funny thing, though -- when my current company wanted to transition me from contractor to permanent employee, my FU money put me in a position to risk asking for a higher salary to compensate for the pay cut I'd taken when I took the job to begin with. And I got it.

So my FU money led to higher income too. :)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 10:43:47 AM by RedmondStash »

Daleth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1001 on: March 13, 2016, 11:41:21 AM »
One month into my 3-month maternity leave, I took my departing in-laws to the airport.  I drove home thinking, "two more months home along with a toddler and a baby."  God help me.

When I got home, I was shocked to find DH was there.  Tuns out half the company got laid off, including him.  We high-fived.

That, man. THAT RIGHT THERE. The fact that you can react to a layoff, especially one that hits right after a child is born, with high-fives is THE ENTIRE POINT OF THIS WEBSITE, amirite?? That's what we're all going for: liberation from money-related stress! People who aren't liberated would react to that with tears and possibly acrimony so bad it leads to divorce.

Zoot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1002 on: March 13, 2016, 12:30:07 PM »
One month into my 3-month maternity leave, I took my departing in-laws to the airport.  I drove home thinking, "two more months home along with a toddler and a baby."  God help me.

When I got home, I was shocked to find DH was there.  Tuns out half the company got laid off, including him.  We high-fived.

That, man. THAT RIGHT THERE. The fact that you can react to a layoff, especially one that hits right after a child is born, with high-fives is THE ENTIRE POINT OF THIS WEBSITE, amirite?? That's what we're all going for: liberation from money-related stress! People who aren't liberated would react to that with tears and possibly acrimony so bad it leads to divorce.

Oh, how I wish the forum had a "like" button and that I could press it 10^6 times. 

I've read the entire thread, beginning to end, and have an e-mail alert set up so I can know when responses posted (haven't posted-to-follow until now, though!), but I had forgotten about this story.  Daleth, thanks so much for highlighting it and bringing it before my eyes again--feelingroovy, I keep re-reading this amazing post-partum high-five story and letting it sink in, and in, and in some more--and tears well up in my eyes as I think how wonderful it is that your family knew PEACE in the aftermath of the layoff. 

This site freaking ROCKS.  :)

Sofa King

• Bristles
« Reply #1003 on: March 13, 2016, 05:42:31 PM »
[
This site freaking ROCKS.  :)

I concur!!!

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1004 on: March 14, 2016, 05:32:37 PM »

Yes. This. My spouse got laid off unexpectedly during massive company cuts many years ago, and it was AWESOME. A little weird at first, having the rug yanked out from under you like that, but that was the happiest, laziest, most relaxed summer we'd spent together in years. Best thing that could have happened for our marriage.

And all because we live within our means and save up extra $$. I still don't get why that's so hard for people who earn decent wages. Maybe someday, more people will start doing it and reaping the rewards. Man, I hope so.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1005 on: March 15, 2016, 09:26:01 AM »

Yes. This. My spouse got laid off unexpectedly during massive company cuts many years ago, and it was AWESOME. A little weird at first, having the rug yanked out from under you like that, but that was the happiest, laziest, most relaxed summer we'd spent together in years. Best thing that could have happened for our marriage.

And all because we live within our means and save up extra $$. I still don't get why that's so hard for people who earn decent wages. Maybe someday, more people will start doing it and reaping the rewards. Man, I hope so.
One of my former bosses has been laid off a lot.  I mean, he's almost 60.  He's able to move seamlessly from engineering to management to VP-dom. 

This guy was my MMM soul-mate.  We'd eat our packed lunches (some times he would just bring a baked potato) and talk about savings.  Some gems.
- He once spent an entire summer off with his kids, didn't bother looking for a job
- He owns two homes (one San Diego, one Santa Barbara) and some agricultural land.  He goes back and forth every couple of weeks.
- When he got bored with being the VP, he moved over to a job that required a lot of travel to Asia. Hmmm gee I wonder how he afforded that trip to Italy, eh?
- He's been laid off for almost 2 years. Didn't even look for a job for the first year (fixing up his new house).  Looked for a little while. Now he's busy making wine for fun (I hear it's good).

He has never sweat the layoffs.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1006 on: March 15, 2016, 09:28:59 AM »

One of my former bosses has been laid off a lot.  I mean, he's almost 60.  He's able to move seamlessly from engineering to management to VP-dom. 

This guy was my MMM soul-mate.  We'd eat our packed lunches (some times he would just bring a baked potato) and talk about savings.  Some gems.
- He once spent an entire summer off with his kids, didn't bother looking for a job
- He owns two homes (one San Diego, one Santa Barbara) and some agricultural land.  He goes back and forth every couple of weeks.
- When he got bored with being the VP, he moved over to a job that required a lot of travel to Asia. Hmmm gee I wonder how he afforded that trip to Italy, eh?
- He's been laid off for almost 2 years. Didn't even look for a job for the first year (fixing up his new house).  Looked for a little while. Now he's busy making wine for fun (I hear it's good).

He has never sweat the layoffs.

The ultimate FI lifestyle =)

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1007 on: March 15, 2016, 10:12:36 AM »
Not epic but kinda fun.

A few weeks back, one of my managers asked me if I would mind being added to the call-in rotation temporarily. We had a few people leave our operations team and the Ops people that were left were bitching about how frequently they were on call. It didn't happen and I was glad for that, since I didn't really want to be on call. Plus it's not my job. Yesterday, my manager stopped by and told me he was having me added to the end of the current on-call rotation. June 30 is my last day so I emailed him and said no. I said I needed every weekend I had left before my last day to be prepared for my upcoming journey (I'm thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail). He backed down. If I were not already leaving I wouldn't have said no because I'm a nice guy.

jordanread

« Reply #1008 on: March 15, 2016, 10:34:08 AM »
Not epic but kinda fun.

A few weeks back, one of my managers asked me if I would mind being added to the call-in rotation temporarily. We had a few people leave our operations team and the Ops people that were left were bitching about how frequently they were on call. It didn't happen and I was glad for that, since I didn't really want to be on call. Plus it's not my job. Yesterday, my manager stopped by and told me he was having me added to the end of the current on-call rotation. June 30 is my last day so I emailed him and said no. I said I needed every weekend I had left before my last day to be prepared for my upcoming journey (I'm thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail). He backed down. If I were not already leaving I wouldn't have said no because I'm a nice guy.

Okay, where are you documenting this journey of your hike through the AT? It's on my list, and has been discussed in the FIRE Adventures Map Thread.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1009 on: March 15, 2016, 10:49:52 AM »
(I'm thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail).

I'm genuinely smuckered.

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1010 on: March 15, 2016, 10:56:16 AM »
Not epic but kinda fun.

1. Nice! Good demonstration of the power of FUnds. I'm hoping to do the same thing in a few years, take a break and go thru-hike.
2. Northbound or Southbound?

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1011 on: March 15, 2016, 11:07:12 AM »
Okay, where are you documenting this journey of your hike through the AT? It's on my list, and has been discussed in the FIRE Adventures Map Thread.
I'm still unsure of this. I dislike the notion of typing because it cannot keep up with speed of thought. For this I've considered a voice recorder, but that doesn't easily translate to online content (for family and friends). I've considered making a series in my FIRE blog (see signature) for this but I'm not sure if I want to commit to blogging while on trail. I really want the experience to be immersive, while providing a break from tech since that's been my career for the last 11 years. I've also considered buying the looseleaf version of AWOL's AT Guide so I can mark them up with thoughts and notes and send them home. That would make a nice memento from the trip without being burdensome to keep So I'm undecided.

SOBO (Southbound)! My mother, sister, and wife are driving me up to Maine July 2nd. We'll hike up Katahdin on the 3rd, then I'll head south from there.

jordanread

« Reply #1012 on: March 15, 2016, 11:15:50 AM »
I'm still unsure of this. I dislike the notion of typing because it cannot keep up with speed of thought. For this I've considered a voice recorder, but that doesn't easily translate to online content (for family and friends). I've considered making a series in my FIRE blog (see signature) for this but I'm not sure if I want to commit to blogging while on trail. I really want the experience to be immersive, while providing a break from tech since that's been my career for the last 11 years. I've also considered buying the looseleaf version of AWOL's AT Guide so I can mark them up with thoughts and notes and send them home. That would make a nice memento from the trip without being burdensome to keep So I'm undecided.

I like the idea of a voice recorder. Extra batteries or a solar charger. It won't be as immersive for the readers (but really, it's your adventure, so the readers should come in second), but when you get back, you can translate your recordings to a mega post. Just let me know where. Also, have a wonderful time!!!

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1013 on: March 15, 2016, 11:20:50 AM »

SOBO (Southbound)! My mother, sister, and wife are driving me up to Maine July 2nd. We'll hike up Katahdin on the 3rd, then I'll head south from there.

July is a late start no? I've been in the Berkshires in September and it's been well below freezing at night.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1014 on: March 15, 2016, 11:24:21 AM »

July is a late start no? I've been in the Berkshires in September and it's been well below freezing at night.
July would be too late for a NOBO but for a SOBO it's on the tail end of fine, assuming the average pace (5-6 months). I'll be south of Harper's Ferry, WV by the end of September. I intend to catch the fall color change as I move through the Shenendoahs and the Great Smoky Mountains.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1015 on: March 15, 2016, 12:20:07 PM »
July would be too late for a NOBO but for a SOBO it's on the tail end of fine, assuming the average pace (5-6 months). I'll be south of Harper's Ferry, WV by the end of September. I intend to catch the fall color change as I move through the Shenendoahs and the Great Smoky Mountains.

Very cool! I would 100% meet up with you for a section either in the Harriman Park, NY or Delaware Water Gap, PA area this summer! I want to Thru-hike as well in a few years when the FU stache is larger and I can take 6 months off from working. I plan on doing it Flip Flop Style. Start in WV in spring, hike north with the spring flowers/weather, and then go back to WV once I reach the north end and hike down from WV to GA in the fall.

Prodigal Daughter

• Stubble
« Reply #1016 on: March 15, 2016, 12:23:36 PM »

That is one of my favorite places. An old job had me near Harper's Ferry once or twice a year in early winter and spring staying in a retreat space for a week at a time. The AT went along the ridge above the cabin if I remember correctly. Good memories. Beautiful location.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1017 on: March 15, 2016, 12:26:53 PM »

That is one of my favorite places. An old job had me near Harper's Ferry once or twice a year in early winter and spring staying in a retreat space for a week at a time. The AT went along the ridge above the cabin if I remember correctly. Good memories. Beautiful location.

I walked a bit of the train in NY as part of a week long class trip in 5th grade. A few years later, I lived about a mile from the trail and it goes through town so at some point, you'll pass where I used to live :).

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1018 on: March 15, 2016, 12:37:59 PM »
I live 45 minutes from Harper's Ferry and it's my favorite place to hike. The AT runs through the town, the C&O Canal is right across the river, and the Maryland Heights trail is across the river too, with a stunning overlook of historic Harper's Ferry.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1019 on: March 15, 2016, 03:03:16 PM »
Not epic but kinda fun.

Yes, will you be blogging?

A few years ago (probably when I had my second kid), I got suckered into reading the blog of a woman who thru-hiked the PCT.  (See, my niece thru-hiked the AT, then I  found the blog of a guy who thru hiked the PCT and ended on the same day.  Living in CA, I googled PCT and found her blog.  And it was awesome.  Weather hit early that year, she missed finishing by about 60 miles - tried to "finish" via roads instead of passes, and the damn sequester closed the National parks up near the Canadian border.)

I have no time anymore.  She still blogs infrequently (as a tandem-trucker with her husband), but discovered that she hiked the ADT 10 years ago with her mom.  I totally want to go read that journal.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1020 on: March 15, 2016, 03:08:42 PM »
Not epic but kinda fun.

Yes, will you be blogging?

A few years ago (probably when I had my second kid), I got suckered into reading the blog of a woman who thru-hiked the PCT.  (See, my niece thru-hiked the AT, then I  found the blog of a guy who thru hiked the PCT and ended on the same day.  Living in CA, I googled PCT and found her blog.  And it was awesome.  Weather hit early that year, she missed finishing by about 60 miles - tried to "finish" via roads instead of passes, and the damn sequester closed the National parks up near the Canadian border.)

I have no time anymore.  She still blogs infrequently (as a tandem-trucker with her husband), but discovered that she hiked the ADT 10 years ago with her mom.  I totally want to go read that journal.
I want to record my thoughts in some fashion but I'm not committing to blogging just yet. I think it would be an enjoyable experience if I were using speech-to-text software. No way I want to be typing blog length entries on my phone. I'll probably set my blog up up for blogging via email when I leave so that I have that option and if I feel inclined to do it, I will.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1021 on: March 15, 2016, 03:14:50 PM »
I want to record my thoughts in some fashion but I'm not committing to blogging just yet. I think it would be an enjoyable experience if I were using speech-to-text software. No way I want to be typing blog length entries on my phone. I'll probably set my blog up up for blogging via email when I leave so that I have that option and if I feel inclined to do it, I will.

What I do on motorcycle trips is record quick highlights in a notepad at the end of the day.  Just enough so I'll remember what I was referring to when I read it later.  Then when I get home I type up a full trip report using my notes.  Though that's only been 10 days at the longest, so that might be hard to do for months on end and still remember what I was talking about by the end.  I'd probably go a full notebook route though, and journal at the end of each day, just because I'd be hesitant to use technology any more than needed, and there's a feeling of connectedness more compatible with being in nature that I get with a notebook that I wouldn't get with a voice recorder or laptop.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1022 on: March 16, 2016, 08:33:21 AM »
^ I second that. I keep a little travel journal for any traveling I do (backpacking or otherwise), and although I can type quite fast, I enjoy the fact that writing with a pen forces me to slow down and be concise. And yes, it seems much more in line with being in nature. I can always expand a particular day, experience, etc. into a longer passage by typing when I get home.

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #1023 on: March 16, 2016, 11:38:09 AM »
Can someone tell me how to add a picture?  I have an epic story that you'd have to see to believe...

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #1024 on: March 16, 2016, 11:42:06 AM »
Can someone tell me how to add a picture?  I have an epic story that you'd have to see to believe...

Upload it to Imgur, click the image, then copy and paste the part underneath "BBCode (message boards & forums)"

Here's a monkey chilling and eating a banana.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 11:43:46 AM by Zikoris »

jordanread

« Reply #1025 on: March 16, 2016, 11:42:26 AM »

Use the img tag. Wrap it around the link to a picture [ img]image url[/img ] (no spaces). Also, you can attach it.

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #1026 on: March 16, 2016, 11:47:28 AM »
I attached it.  Maybe it just doesn't show up in the preview?

jordanread

« Reply #1027 on: March 16, 2016, 11:49:01 AM »

lol.

green daisy

• Stubble
« Reply #1028 on: March 16, 2016, 11:52:25 AM »
We're in the midst of one.  Our daughter has a disability for which she requires an accommodation in order to participate in a specific school situation. The school district is refusing to provide her with that accommodation and instead is trying to bribe us to go away by offering us $20k to sign a document agreeing to waive her rights to participate in that specific school activity.  We told them to take their offer and shove it (politely, of coarse).  They even had their district physician call her doctor and try to get him to talk us into accepting their offer.  Of coarse, this offer was made verbally and they never gave us the document, so they will just lie and say it never happened.  If we were given the document, I would pass it on to the Office of Civil Rights.  They're still not giving her the accommodation that she needs, but regardless, I will never have to look my daughter in the eye and say she can't do x activity like all her friends because we are paid for her not to. 

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #1029 on: March 16, 2016, 11:54:43 AM »

Ah, there it is.  Sorry for the vulgarity!

This was her response to me telling her that if she doesn't want people quitting all the time, she should try not being so rude.  She apparently didn't get the message!  Thank God for FU money!

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #1030 on: March 16, 2016, 12:10:11 PM »

This was her response to me telling her that if she doesn't want people quitting all the time, she should try not being so rude.  She apparently didn't get the message!  Thank God for FU money!

Oh boy. More juicy backstory? What kinds of things was she doing that made people quit all the time?

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1031 on: March 16, 2016, 12:12:25 PM »

Not hard to see why people don't want to work for that person. Holy crap!

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1032 on: March 16, 2016, 12:16:32 PM »

Wow, that's terrible. Good thing you got out of there. I'd say that effectively proved your point, too, but I bet the irony was lost on her.

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #1033 on: March 16, 2016, 12:20:20 PM »

Oh boy. More juicy backstory? What kinds of things was she doing that made people quit all the time?

Docking our pay for ridiculous reasons, expecting us to do way too much for free, trash talking about clients and other coworkers.  Not appreciating us. Unfortunately I really liked the job - but not enough to put up with her.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1034 on: March 16, 2016, 12:37:26 PM »

Docking our pay for ridiculous reasons, expecting us to do way too much for free, trash talking about clients and other coworkers.  Not appreciating us. Unfortunately I really liked the job - but not enough to put up with her.

Check your local laws. This may not be legal. If it is, then she can get what's coming to her and you get the money you should have had... all while you sip something cold on a beach somewhere.

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #1035 on: March 16, 2016, 12:45:20 PM »

Wow, that's terrible. Good thing you got out of there. I'd say that effectively proved your point, too, but I bet the irony was lost on her.

It totally was!  Lol
Unfortunately I signed a non compete contract with her.  Does anyone know how enforceable those are?  I can't help but think sending that text to her client list would sway their impression of her. 
This was my post FIRE gig.  I started 6 months ago but I was her longest employee.  I got tired of training new people and thought I'd make a few suggestions.  It was just fun money for me but I felt I had to say something for the other workers and couldn't stand bending my principles anymore.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 10:25:29 PM by Cannot Wait! »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1036 on: March 16, 2016, 01:04:25 PM »
Wait! She called you a "C" You Next Tuesday? She must have been looking in a mirror and gotten confused. Wow, just wow!

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1037 on: March 16, 2016, 01:11:01 PM »
Wait! She called you a "C" You Next Tuesday? She must have been looking in a mirror and gotten confused. Wow, just wow!

Using that word is one of the fastest ways to take all of the air out of a room.

I also noticed the time stamps on those texts...why was your boss texting you after 9PM? Was that also a regular occurrence?

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #1038 on: March 16, 2016, 01:44:50 PM »

Check your local laws. This may not be legal. If it is, then she can get what's coming to her and you get the money you should have had... all while you sip something cold on a beach somewhere.

Given the Telus header on that phone, I'd say that Cannot Wait! is in Canada. It's pretty much illegal across the whole country for a worker to have their pay docked. Specifically this from the federal labour law section of the website below. Provincial laws may add more restrictions, but this sets the baseline:

Deductions resulting from a loss of your employer's property or money are not allowed unless you were the only employee to have access to that property or money.

The boss is lucky none of her ex-employees have brought that up with a provincial labour board.

Here's info on the rules in all provinces in Canada:
http://workershelp.ca/wages.asp

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #1039 on: March 16, 2016, 01:54:51 PM »

It totally was!  Lol
Unnfortunately I signed a non compete contract with her.  Does anyone know how enforceable those are?  I can't help but think sending that text to her client list would sway their impression of her. 
This was my post FIRE gig.  I started 6 months ago but I was her longest employee.  I got tired of training new people and thought I'd make a few suggestions.  It was just fun money for me but I felt I had to say something for the other workers and couldn't stand bending my principles anymore.

As to the non compete, it generally all depends on the state you live and how the non compete is worded. A lot of overly broad non competes are considered unenforceable, but it just depends on the language. For example, if your non compete says you can't work in XYZ field anywhere for the next 5 years, it's probably not going to be enforceable. If it says you can't work in XYZ field in your metro area for the next year, it will likely be enforceable. Of course, the enforceability of this would be determined most likely by a lawsuit.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1040 on: March 16, 2016, 02:50:13 PM »

Using that word is one of the fastest ways to take all of the air out of a room.

I also noticed the time stamps on those texts...why was your boss texting you after 9PM? Was that also a regular occurrence?
This depends on where you live. In England it's used on the regular, like we use the F-bomb in the US. I see the C-word and the new F-bomb for us Americans. Used to be saying "fuck" would take all the air out of the room.

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1041 on: March 16, 2016, 02:58:26 PM »
We're in the midst of one.  Our daughter has a disability for which she requires an accommodation in order to participate in a specific school situation. The school district is refusing to provide her with that accommodation and instead is trying to bribe us to go away by offering us $20k to sign a document agreeing to waive her rights to participate in that specific school activity.  We told them to take their offer and shove it (politely, of coarse).  They even had their district physician call her doctor and try to get him to talk us into accepting their offer.  Of coarse, this offer was made verbally and they never gave us the document, so they will just lie and say it never happened.  If we were given the document, I would pass it on to the Office of Civil Rights.  They're still not giving her the accommodation that she needs, but regardless, I will never have to look my daughter in the eye and say she can't do x activity like all her friends because we are paid for her not to.

Just curious - can you be more specific?  The reason I ask is that I volunteer at a school and there is an incredible amount of requests for "accommodation" some needed - others just make me blink in astonishment.  One-on-one requests for kids who only disability is that they are figgin' lazy.

Or on the other extreme pushing the school to have a kid go skiing who regularly falls out of his chair and can barely shuffle down the hallway unaided.  They would have to strap him in the chair lift and I have no idea how he would get down the bunny slope.   There are groups such as Ski-for-all that have the staff, training, and skill for something like this, but it is way outside the norm for a public school that can't even get the full amount of supplies for teachers' classrooms.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1042 on: March 16, 2016, 03:23:04 PM »

It totally was!  Lol
Unnfortunately I signed a non compete contract with her.  Does anyone know how enforceable those are?  I can't help but think sending that text to her client list would sway their impression of her. 

Not sure outside the US but generally in the US noncompetes are unenforecable if you aren't an executive.  Noncom in return for $1M of stock grants?  Probably enforceable.  Noncom for a $50k/yr job?  Unenforceable.  Basically they cannot make you unable to earn a living.

IANAL, etc.

green daisy

• Stubble
« Reply #1043 on: March 16, 2016, 04:00:34 PM »

Just curious - can you be more specific?  The reason I ask is that I volunteer at a school and there is an incredible amount of requests for "accommodation" some needed - others just make me blink in astonishment.  One-on-one requests for kids who only disability is that they are figgin' lazy.

Or on the other extreme pushing the school to have a kid go skiing who regularly falls out of his chair and can barely shuffle down the hallway unaided.  They would have to strap him in the chair lift and I have no idea how he would get down the bunny slope.   There are groups such as Ski-for-all that have the staff, training, and skill for something like this, but it is way outside the norm for a public school that can't even get the full amount of supplies for teachers' classrooms.

Northwestie- will send you a pm. 

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1044 on: March 16, 2016, 04:21:58 PM »

Not sure outside the US but generally in the US noncompetes are unenforecable if you aren't an executive.  Noncom in return for $1M of stock grants?  Probably enforceable.  Noncom for a $50k/yr job?  Unenforceable.  Basically they cannot make you unable to earn a living.

IANAL, etc.

Whoa, hold on there.  Cannot Wait!, if you are looking for guidance on non-compete law, you really need to consult an attorney familiar with your state's (or other country?) laws because the laws vary greatly by state.  Many states won't dishonor an entire non-compete just because a portion is unenforceable, but will actually "blue pencil" the clause to put greater limits to turn it into an enforceable clause.  The examples that Chris22 wrote, while well-intentioned, represents a pretty common misconception/over-generalization about this area of law.  Although, he is correct on this part: "Basically they cannot make you unable to earn a living."  Definitely consult an attorney if this is an issue you want to understand accurately for your situation.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 04:24:06 PM by LeRainDrop »

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1045 on: March 16, 2016, 07:23:01 PM »

IANAL, etc.

Whoa, hold on there.  Cannot Wait!, if you are looking for guidance on non-compete law, you really need to consult an attorney familiar with your state's (or other country?) laws because the laws vary greatly by state.  Many states won't dishonor an entire non-compete just because a portion is unenforceable, but will actually "blue pencil" the clause to put greater limits to turn it into an enforceable clause.  The examples that Chris22 wrote, while well-intentioned, represents a pretty common misconception/over-generalization about this area of law.  Although, he is correct on this part: "Basically they cannot make you unable to earn a living."  Definitely consult an attorney if this is an issue you want to understand accurately for your situation.

Yeah, definitely check with an attorney.

Alternatively -- if that was your private phone that text conversation happened on, you could strike a deal with her: she signs away your noncompete clause, and you agree not to share that text exchange with her clients. You actually have leverage because of her bad behavior.

Just a thought.

Good luck. And good for you for getting out of there! FU money is the best. :)

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1046 on: March 16, 2016, 07:42:10 PM »

As a parent of a kid in the bottom 20% for processing speed (but also qualified for the gifted program) I.just.can't.even with your statement about laziness.  It looks a whole lot like laziness - it's not.  I have a wonderful video for you if you liked to learn more about learning disabilities. 

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #1047 on: March 17, 2016, 08:21:17 AM »
Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions.
One of the greatest things about being FIREd is the ability to walk away from nasty and negative situations.
:)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #1048 on: March 17, 2016, 08:33:20 AM »

"People don't leave jobs - they leave managers."

So true!!

modulus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1049 on: March 17, 2016, 09:37:23 PM »
http://www.businessinsider.com/adam-laroche-retires-told-not-to-bring-son-to-clubhouse-2016-3

Relevant to this thread, White Sox player says "I quit" when told he can't bring his 14 year old son to practice and games as often. He must have had some sort of home-schooling arrangement in order for the son to be around the ballpark so much.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!