Author Topic: Epic FU money stories  (Read 2794940 times)

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Epic FU money stories
« Reply #100 on: May 29, 2014, 06:42:39 PM »
Has anyone done anything truly epic, like punched someone out, or lit a building on fire? Released live goats into a cubicle village? Pooped on the boss's desk?

Okay, so I have to tell the story......

I ran into a former co-worker a few years after we both left the company.  I left gracefully, not even FU worthy (cause I wasn't).  It just had played out and I needed a change.

He on the other hand, relayed the story of his exit to me.

I won't go into extreme details for fear someone might recognize it, but it ended with a profanity laced tired and the co-worker telling his manager to basically suck his.....   He then walked out.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #101 on: May 29, 2014, 06:46:53 PM »
Has anyone done anything truly epic, like punched someone out, or lit a building on fire? Released live goats into a cubicle village? Pooped on the boss's desk?

This guy:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JetBlue_flight_attendant_incident

Steven Slater, a flight attendant, announced over the plane's public address system that he had been abused by a passenger and that he quit his job. He then grabbed two beers and exited the plane by deploying the evacuation slide and sliding down it.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #102 on: May 29, 2014, 07:44:39 PM »

Not personally but I witnessed a nice one from a co-worker. College job, grocery warehouse, each store delivery had 1 sheet printed. This guy stapled his delivery order to the inside of the trailer, all the way up at the front. He then spent the next 2-3 hours filling the trailer with totally random crap that didn't belong. Then he just left. It took management hours to figure out what happened, then a few of us an hour to fix it. They had to call overtime for the entire union crew to get the orders filled that night because of this guys actions.

Its an epic way to say FU, but this guy clearly did not have proper FU funds in place. He simply had a lot of pent up frustration and took it out on the bosses. 

AlexK

• Bristles
« Reply #103 on: May 29, 2014, 08:46:28 PM »
Not epic but I want to share. My first engineering job was at an unethical company. As in fined $1M by the government for doing business with Iran unethical. We were expected to change test data for customers if the product tested out of spec. The stress was so bad I would wake up in the middle of the night with feelings of dread. I had to have brain surgery for hydrocephalus and I'm convinced it was the stress that caused it. I didn't have FU money at the time but I found another job and gave notice. The president of the company had me in his office and asked what it would take for me to stay. I told him there would have to be a 1 added to my current salary (I was making about $50k at the time). He laughed and I left.

The new job was 20% pay increase and amazing, I'm still working there 10 years later!

I do know of an EPIC quitting story but I got screwed in the process. I bought a motorcycle from a guy who said the title was in his truck and he would get it for me that night. I stupidly believed him and he never gave me the title. He wouldn't answer his phone when I called. He worked at Walmart and one time I spoofed the caller ID so it looked like Walmart was calling. He answered but gave more excuses. A few months later he went into Walmart and shot his boss in the chest with a 44 Mag (he lived) and holed up in the bathroom until cops came. I had to part that bike out on ebay.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #104 on: May 30, 2014, 10:37:43 AM »
Not epic but I want to share. My first engineering job was at an unethical company. As in fined $1M by the government for doing business with Iran unethical. We were expected to change test data for customers if the product tested out of spec. The stress was so bad I would wake up in the middle of the night with feelings of dread. I had to have brain surgery for hydrocephalus and I'm convinced it was the stress that caused it. I didn't have FU money at the time but I found another job and gave notice. The president of the company had me in his office and asked what it would take for me to stay. I told him there would have to be a 1 added to my current salary (I was making about $50k at the time). He laughed and I left.

The new job was 20% pay increase and amazing, I'm still working there 10 years later!

I do know of an EPIC quitting story but I got screwed in the process. I bought a motorcycle from a guy who said the title was in his truck and he would get it for me that night. I stupidly believed him and he never gave me the title. He wouldn't answer his phone when I called. He worked at Walmart and one time I spoofed the caller ID so it looked like Walmart was calling. He answered but gave more excuses. A few months later he went into Walmart and shot his boss in the chest with a 44 Mag (he lived) and holed up in the bathroom until cops came. I had to part that bike out on ebay.

I'm not sure I'd consider shooting one's boss "epic" in the sense intended by the original question.  More like tragic, no matter what the provocation was.
Pooping on the boss's desk = hilarious.  Shooting the boss = horrific.

However, your story is pretty fantastic.  Glad you got a much better job out of it all!

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #105 on: May 30, 2014, 11:05:37 AM »
I was raised to be Southern nice and my parents taught me to never burn my bridges behind me. So even if I would like to poop on my bosses desk (and I had one I would have LOVED to do that to) I have always tried to leave with no hard feelings.

Grog

• Bristles
« Reply #106 on: May 30, 2014, 12:30:57 PM »
It's interesting reading this stories. Does this happen because there is no social welfare? do not people receive some kind of support the first months they are jobless?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #107 on: May 30, 2014, 12:42:25 PM »
One of my first jobs (still in high school) was bagging groceries.  I put in a notice that I was going on vacation for a week, and it happened to coincide with a summer holiday.  They declined it.  They said if I went on that vacation to not bother coming back.  I did go back - to pick up my last check.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: May 30, 2014, 12:44:32 PM »
It's interesting reading this stories. Does this happen because there is no social welfare? do not people receive some kind of support the first months they are jobless?

In the US, if you voluntarily quit a job, it's hard to get unemployment benefits and depends on demonstrating you meet certain requirements.  It's designed to encourage people not to willy nilly quit and sit around on their a$$ while the government (taxpayers) support them. 

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #109 on: May 30, 2014, 01:46:33 PM »

In the US, if you voluntarily quit a job, it's hard to get unemployment benefits and depends on demonstrating you meet certain requirements.  It's designed to encourage people not to willy nilly quit and sit around on their a$$ while the government (taxpayers) support them.

Still happens all the time.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #110 on: May 30, 2014, 04:12:37 PM »

I'm not sure I'd consider shooting one's boss "epic" in the sense intended by the original question.  More like tragic, no matter what the provocation was.
Pooping on the boss's desk = hilarious.  Shooting the boss = horrific.

However, your story is pretty fantastic.  Glad you got a much better job out of it all!

The greeter's got a gun.
the greeter's got a gun.
Shopping carts are not as fun.
Will he go on the run?
Or does he have to go number two.
He's hiding out in the loo.

They say that when he got a'busted
he had TP stuffed down his crotch.
But, man, you shoulda been there, before the cops arrived.
People all stood around and watched.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #111 on: May 30, 2014, 05:13:20 PM »
Goddammit Kriegsspiel, now I have to remove that song from my roadtrip playlist.

Grog

• Bristles
« Reply #112 on: May 30, 2014, 10:57:14 PM »

you know this is not how it works in other countries, right? it just seems to me that the fact that FU money is not spreadily available (under the form for instance of unemployment helps) give a chance to all the manager asshole to survive: if everybody working under a piece of shit could just leave and be supported a couple of months before finding a new job, then there would not be almost no asshole manager, since they would be detrimental to your company.
Although my personal point of view is that it should be responsibility of every worker to be in a position of strength, and not rely on the social system.

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #113 on: May 31, 2014, 01:19:15 AM »
After reading the blog for quite some time I keep seeing people talking about their FU staches (being different than their FIRE amount) as having the security to "stick it to the man" and walk off the job without stress if they want to.

This being said, I have never seen a story about using that FU money. Please, share your stories!!

FU money is useful in less dramatic ways, too.

Even if you don't do a dramatic "take this job and shove it" thing, FU money can make your life better.

For many years, I worked for a major consulting firm.  It was "expected" that everyone work at least 50 hours per week and be willing to give up their weekends any time those in power thought it "necessary."

Because I had "FU" money, I was able to make it clear to my boss that I would NOT be working ridiculous hours.  I would do my 40-hours, and that was it.  The first time he "requested" (which really, of course, was an order) I work on a Saturday, I told him I don't work weekends.  If he had a problem with that, he was free to lay me off.  He never did, though I'm sure it affected my pay raises and "yearly efficiency report."  Just having "FU" money made my work life easier.

After 5-years there, I'd had enough and wanted to early retire, so I effectively went in and asked to be laid off (I told him I was going to charge the day to the time code for "I don't have any work to do," which at that firm was the equivalent of saying "lay me off RIGHT NOW." :)

Not quite as dramatic as "Take this job and stick it," but just as satisfying.

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #114 on: May 31, 2014, 09:07:08 AM »

you know this is not how it works in other countries, right? it just seems to me that the fact that FU money is not spreadily available (under the form for instance of unemployment helps) give a chance to all the manager asshole to survive: if everybody working under a piece of shit could just leave and be supported a couple of months before finding a new job, then there would not be almost no asshole manager, since they would be detrimental to your company.
Although my personal point of view is that it should be responsibility of every worker to be in a position of strength, and not rely on the social system.

What kind of mumbo jumbo is that?

In what country do you get un/employment insurance benefits if you quit?  Neither the US nor Canada offers this as far as I'm aware and there are sound policy reasons for not doing so.  The exception is if you can demonstrate you were constructively dismissed.

Now, as far as "asshole managers", in my experience sometimes asshole managers are really fine managers with an asshole employee. It is hard to know without hearing the other side.

In the case where a manager is really unreasonably difficult/harassing they will contravene employment standards and/or human rights protections and you can quit and claim constructive dismissal.  There are often complaints processes that can be accessed in these circumstances as well.

5inatrailer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #115 on: May 31, 2014, 09:13:47 AM »
While learning my craft as a paramedic in a busy metro setting, there was this one guy who was very very good at his job. He had been there 20 years and had trained some very excellent practitioners also. If you were sick, you wanted him to come to your aid. That being said, he was very unsettled- like he was angry at himself for not doing something better with his life... anyway,
8 years after I quit (as everyone does there- 1 person has retired out of 1000) I heard a story of how he quit:

It was the typical night shift, call after call kept coming in, and finally at around 11pm, the dispatch gave his ambulance another call.  He said no on the radio, leaned over and shut the truck off (someone else was driving), took the keys and threw them across the road.  He then grabbed his personal belongings and literally walked off into a field.

I love telling that story.

Grog

• Bristles
« Reply #116 on: May 31, 2014, 11:06:30 AM »

What kind of mumbo jumbo is that?

In what country do you get un/employment insurance benefits if you quit?  Neither the US nor Canada offers this as far as I'm aware and there are sound policy reasons for not doing so.  The exception is if you can demonstrate you were constructively dismissed.

Now, as far as "asshole managers", in my experience sometimes asshole managers are really fine managers with an asshole employee. It is hard to know without hearing the other side.

In the case where a manager is really unreasonably difficult/harassing they will contravene employment standards and/or human rights protections and you can quit and claim constructive dismissal.  There are often complaints processes that can be accessed in these circumstances as well.

Just meaning to say that since is difficult to quit, employer could use that to enforce a certain stress/abuse because they know that the people CAN'T quit, since they must work to survive paycheck to paycheck.
btw, in most countries in europe you get a unemployment subsidy (if you have worked long enough to have right for) the moment you apply for it: it doesn't matter why you are jobless (even if you quit), just that you are jobless. But many people seek a new job immediately, since the longest you stay on subsidy, the harder it is to find a job since employer will find strange that you are getting the subsidy for so long, and prefer someone else.

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #117 on: May 31, 2014, 12:07:45 PM »
Which European countries offer an unemployment subsidy to those who have voluntarily resigned/quit?  I see that in Germany you may be able to qualify for some benefits after a three-month waiting period in which you get nothing but have been actively looking for work, which makes some sense. 

As far as not being able to quit because you "must work to survive" paycheck to paycheck, that seems pretty dramatic and something that should be up to the individual to resolve in most cases.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 12:19:11 PM by totoro »

dweebyhawkeyes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #118 on: May 31, 2014, 12:30:59 PM »

Not money-related at all- but my friends and I took a live goat to our high school campus after graduation. The sophomores and juniors loved it and administration freaked out. Desire result achieved.

train_writer

• Stubble
« Reply #119 on: May 31, 2014, 01:05:22 PM »
btw, in most countries in europe you get a unemployment subsidy (if you have worked long enough to have right for) the moment you apply for it: it doesn't matter why you are jobless (even if you quit), just that you are jobless.

Which country in Europe is that I am curious?
It is the same here (NL+Belgium) as in the US (only a limited months subsidy in case of unvoluntary layoff). But you can, however, simply ask your employer to lay you off and if they agree, you can collect your build up months of subsidy (depending how long you have been in the work force 3 months up to 2 years).

Still, you are right that the wrong 'manager attitude' is being sustained by this system. Just wait for the years where employees are more in demand than employers.

train_writer

• Stubble
« Reply #120 on: May 31, 2014, 01:12:17 PM »
Epic FU of my Co-worker. A silver haired lady of 60 with a very high work ethic and lots of experience and knowledge in the field decided she did not like the new management and new rules, that prevent personal contact or a personal touch. She was really a bit bullied by management at a certain point.

One 'idle Tuesday', she painted a certain something on the wall of our newly furnished building, she really took her time, like one hour?
Which we co-workers silently supported.
When she was finished she said goodbye to us all, gave us an address of where she would serve us a pint that afternoon and waited for the management meeting to walk passed her "mural".
She smiled, waved and just left.

Badass!!
* Not very detailed because it was kind of an unique painting :)

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #121 on: May 31, 2014, 02:28:26 PM »
These are some great stories.

Long ago at another job I once had a colleague who was quite obviously unhappy.  He had two bosses who were both incompetent and douche bags, and watching their absurdity from a safe distance made me grateful I wasn't in his group.  Instead of making a big scene or even telling anyone he quit, on the last day he was in the office he simply used his corporate card to buy himself and his girlfriend a nice expensive vacation.  The next day they left for their newly purchased vacation on the other side of the world, and then he just never came back.  He travelled a fair amount for work, so even though it was an international flight, the trip was not immediately flagged as unusual.  It took the company some time to figure out that he was not on a business trip and that he did not intend to ever return.  They might have even paid him for the last couple of weeks of that month before they realized he was gone.  Boy, was his boss pissed!  Still makes me laugh even though it was fraud.  He was not a citizen and I don't even know if they ever even found him to get the money back.

FU money:  pretty sure he had it.

blackomen

• Stubble
  • Antifragile since 1983
    • Gimme Serendipity (a Stumbleupon Clone)
« Reply #122 on: May 31, 2014, 11:19:48 PM »
I never had to use my FU money yet but I guess I learned the value of it pretty early in my career.

I graduated with a MS in Finance in 2009 with zero job experience.  Yes, it can't be bleaker than that so when I was finally able to land a job in 10 months, I was elated..  and didn't mind that it was a salaried position that paid literally the equivalent of $10/hr !!!  This was my first real job: an assistant analyst for a financial firm that ran several small hedge funds.

I put in 12 hour days and the boss would call me to come in on the weekend like every 3-4 weeks.  I didn't mind back then because I felt lucky to have a job.  Days and days went by and the boss got nastier.  Eventually, it wore on me.

I'm not sure if anyone else who doesn't work in the hedge fund industry (or anything that front-office buy-side in finance) can relate but here are some examples:

- Being yelled at and ridiculed for the smallest mistakes, sometimes for hours on end and receiving the same treatment for multiple days in a row.

- When the weekend came, it was my only refuge from the constant yelling from the boss..  then he calls you in to come in and work on something only to be yelled at even more.  Except there's no pay (since you're salaried.)

- I come in every single day at 6 - 6:30 in the morning since that's when the US markets open on the West Coast and work without even a lunch break until 1:00pm.  Manager deprives me of the much needed lunch break and calls me in for meeting and to be pelted mercilessly with foul language.

The above went on for about a year to a year and a half before I started to break down from the stress.  I started making more and more mistakes, which in finance, was not a good thing.  I think I ended up costing the company more than $100,000 in a single Trading error one time when I accidentally bought instead of selling something like $3 million dollars of a stock.  (That's more than TWICE my annual salary in a single mistake!)  I was pushed to my limits with the persistent daily verbal abuses and these sorts of errors multiplied over the next few months.

At that time, I was casually chatting with one of the secretaries after work and she tactfully told me that I was pretty much the best the company has ever found and proceeded to talk about how the firm hired and fired failure after failure for this position.

I figured I had less to lose than I thought but just to be safe, I checked my bank accounts..  I had saved about $15,000 extra since I started the job and that money could probably last me a year if I got fired.  So I started cutting back my hours..  this job was intended to be a 8 or 9 hour a day deal as opposed to the 12+ I was working so I tested leaving earlier and earlier each day, hopefully to regain my sanity.  I was surprisingly met with little resistance.  Eventually, I was given raises and promotions even though I had effectively cut my daily hours from 12 to like 7-8 today.  To this day, I'm still looking for greener pastures for my career but this experience has taught a valuable lesson about standing your ground.  FU money is ONE tool in your arsenal to accomplish this.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 11:24:27 PM by blackomen »

C40

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #123 on: June 01, 2014, 12:04:26 PM »
Epic FU of my Co-worker. A silver haired lady of 60 with a very high work ethic and lots of experience and knowledge in the field decided she did not like the new management and new rules, that prevent personal contact or a personal touch. She was really a bit bullied by management at a certain point.

One 'idle Tuesday', she painted a certain something on the wall of our newly furnished building, she really took her time, like one hour?
Which we co-workers silently supported.
When she was finished she said goodbye to us all, gave us an address of where she would serve us a pint that afternoon and waited for the management meeting to walk passed her "mural".
She smiled, waved and just left.

Badass!!
* Not very detailed because it was kind of an unique painting :)

What did she paint on the wall? "FU"?

train_writer

• Stubble
« Reply #124 on: June 01, 2014, 01:23:20 PM »
What did she paint on the wall? "FU"?

Nope, a cartoonesk sea mammal referring to someone in our management with some foul accesoires.

Southern Stashian

• Stubble
    • Having Fun In Florida!
« Reply #125 on: June 01, 2014, 02:49:53 PM »
Over a decade ago I worked for a national home builder named Len ..... (you fill in the rest). I had been on track to win "builder of the year" and a nice sized bonus on top of my $100k + earnings / bonuses for the year. The bonus would end up becoming my FU money just a few days later .....

Well, living in the south we have to deal with these things called hurricanes, or as my 5'-3" ball sack of a manager would say "hurry-up-canes", basically meaning ditch your own home for the preperation of ours. I would spend days locking down the community with just hours to spare for our own home. Not a good situation.

Anyway, the storm came and went and the next morning I came in to access the damage on my own time. I was amazed to find that 17 of my homes were virtually damage free except for one that a sub had left a window partially opened on, resulting in a flooded kitchen.

As I was cleaning up the damage and removing drywall, my six month pregnant wife and two year old son dropped in on me to see how everything was going and to bring me some lunch. A few minutes later my troll of a manager dropped in too, and after seeing the damage he ripped me a new one with a least a hundred F-bombs directed at me in front of my family.

Nuff said. You just dont do that to a man, especially in front of his family. He was lucky he made it out of the house that afternoon.

Anyway, I now laugh because the very next day he found my keys, company cell and a zerox copy of my middle finger on my desk instructing him on what body part to place it all in. I also sent corporate a polite email (wasn't their fault he had little man syndrome) saying that my manager would have some explaining to do to them.

From what I heard it was quite comical at the awards ceremony the following week when they called out the award for the Top Builder and no one was there to claim it. Talk about a big FU! to him in front of the company and all of his corporate execs when he had to explain on the spot why their top guy just walked away, hehhe.

They spent the next two weeks apologizing and trying to get me to return, offering more $$$ and different leadership but it was too late as I had made up my mind. (and yes, I still received the bonus check in the mail with my final paycheck - a double FU! lol). They eventually collasped into BK so the timing worked out perfectly.

So, in the end I quit my job AND received my FU money (@ $15K)  from the company while also purging myself (and my family) of the angry little man. Score.

I still see him a few times a year and show him my personal, "original copy" of the zeroxed paper that I left for him when I quit years ago.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 02:57:20 PM by Southern Stashian »

Vitai Slade

• Stubble
« Reply #126 on: June 02, 2014, 07:09:37 AM »
Over a decade ago I worked for a national home builder named Len ..... (you fill in the rest). I had been on track to win "builder of the year" and a nice sized bonus on top of my $100k + earnings / bonuses for the year. The bonus would end up becoming my FU money just a few days later .....

This is the BEST FU story on this thread so far! NICE!

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #127 on: June 02, 2014, 08:27:10 AM »
Anyway, I now laugh because the very next day he found my keys, company cell and a zerox copy of my middle finger on my desk instructing him on what body part to place it all in. I also sent corporate a polite email (wasn't their fault he had little man syndrome) saying that my manager would have some explaining to do to them.

This guy wins. Awesome.

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #128 on: June 02, 2014, 11:58:15 AM »
If I were a manager I would never do the insulting/harassing things I have read on the third page of the thread.  Not only is it a waste of time and energy, but I think there is significant risk to those jerks that someone will snap and go after them physically.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #129 on: June 02, 2014, 12:53:37 PM »
my 5'-3" ball sack of a manager

... my troll of a manager ...

(wasn't their fault he had little man syndrome)

LOL, short people are such trolls amirite?  Every time I see a shorty, I just like to give them a little kick to remind them how terrible they are.

galaxie

• Bristles
« Reply #130 on: June 02, 2014, 02:22:10 PM »
Not quite FU money, but spending less than I earn has enabled me to take a pay cut in order to go do my dream job.  Nothing wrong with my old job, just the opportunity of a lifetime.  We should still both be able to retire in about 14 years (when I'm 46).

Gray Matter

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #131 on: June 02, 2014, 02:43:02 PM »

LOL, short people are such trolls amirite?  Every time I see a shorty, I just like to give them a little kick to remind them how terrible they are.

Thank you for sticking up for us, Dragoncar!  As a short person who has spawned two short boys, that struck me as well.  Why can't short men be plain ole garden variety assholes like average/tall men?  Why do they have to have "little man syndrome"?

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #132 on: June 02, 2014, 03:03:28 PM »

Thank you for sticking up for us, Dragoncar!  As a short person who has spawned two short boys, that struck me as well.  Why can't short men be plain ole garden variety assholes like average/tall men?  Why do they have to have "little man syndrome"?

"Just cause you have one doesn't mean you have to be one!" But then again I guess you can't use that to call a girl a dick...

Dr.Vibrissae

• Bristles
« Reply #133 on: June 02, 2014, 03:16:15 PM »

"Just cause you have one doesn't mean you have to be one!" But then again I guess you can't use that to call a girl a dick...
I thought it was calling someone and asshole...

warfreak2

• Handlebar Stache
    • Music by me
« Reply #134 on: June 02, 2014, 03:23:15 PM »
Q: Why did Southern Stashian's manager get rich when Lehman Brothers collapsed?

A: Because he was short.

...Sorry, couldn't resist. OK OK I'll show myself out.

(Actually, I agree with you. When you make fun of some characteristic that somebody has, even if the particular person you're targeting is an asshole, remember that you're making fun of everyone with that characteristic, not just the asshole. (No offense intended to anyone who has an asshole.))

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #135 on: June 02, 2014, 03:44:50 PM »

Depends on the woman.

I still see him a few times a year and show him my personal, "original copy" of the zeroxed paper that I left for him when I quit years ago.

Perhaps a bit unhealthy (on my part), but I really enjoy this part of the story.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #136 on: June 02, 2014, 03:46:02 PM »

I thought it was calling someone and asshole...

You just changed my whole world view. Everything I have ever known is a lie

Ftao93

• Stubble
« Reply #137 on: June 02, 2014, 04:20:49 PM »
Once I worked at a big corporate flour mill.    It was routine that if you hadn't been there a decade, the senior Union folks ignored your existence. 

The schedule was at times, very punishing, but I had no formal education, and no understanding of anything.  If I had half a brain back then I would have invested, but I was turned off by my friend's daytrading when he lost 50k in a year!

Anyway, we were 12 on, 12 off, every day, for 76 days in a row.  I lived an hour away.  It was like Groundhog Day!

then I realized that my expenses were only about $700 a month, and half of that was gas to get to a job I hated.    I was only 20 and there were women to pursue!  I had about 4k in uncashed checks.  The boss had already been angered by the fact that I had called in a couple of times just to get some darned rest.

I got pulled over for speeding ( was running late).  The boss berated me on how unacceptable it was, how unprofessional I was, I wasn't playing by the rules, etc.  So I told him "I'm probably just not a good fit for this job.  It's boring, unfulfilling, and you're a prick."   Then I left, never to return :).

Had I done anything positive with that money, or any of the money I earned for the next decade, life would be much different.

Southern Stashian

• Stubble
    • Having Fun In Florida!
« Reply #138 on: June 02, 2014, 04:22:39 PM »
Hahaha! Looking back it does seem that I have an issue with the "smaller people" of society. Since I'm 5'-9" myself and my troll of a wife is 5'-3", you wouldn't think I would have that issue. I mean my oldest 12 year old dwarf of a son is my best buddy while my vertically challenged 9 year old daughter is so beautiful and pint sized 4 year old couldn't be any happier.

Thankfully I don't think that way! ....... :)

« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 04:28:23 PM by Southern Stashian »

Gray Matter

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #139 on: June 02, 2014, 06:30:12 PM »
Hahaha! Looking back it does seem that I have an issue with the "smaller people" of society. Since I'm 5'-9" myself and my troll of a wife is 5'-3", you wouldn't think I would have that issue. I mean my oldest 12 year old dwarf of a son is my best buddy while my vertically challenged 9 year old daughter is so beautiful and pint sized 4 year old couldn't be any happier.

Thankfully I don't think that way! ....... :)

You really got to hand it short people...

Otherwise they couldn't reach it.

aclarridge

« Reply #140 on: June 03, 2014, 12:37:56 PM »
This is one of my favourite threads - it highlights one amazing "side-benefit" that we can all enjoy on our journey to FI.

No big FUs given by me yet, but I can say that my stash is making me bolder at work in terms of asking for what I want. And I'm learning that the squeaky wheel gets the grease!

MooseOutFront

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #141 on: June 03, 2014, 08:31:15 PM »
I look forward to documenting it here, but my ability to call my own shots at work will almost certainly grow in relation to my stache. Hell, I already give less shits knowing that I no longer need to make all the right moves to hit executive management some day like I used to think. I'll quit looong before I even hit middle management. :)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #142 on: June 04, 2014, 07:33:39 AM »
So I started cutting back my hours..  this job was intended to be a 8 or 9 hour a day deal as opposed to the 12+ I was working so I tested leaving earlier and earlier each day, hopefully to regain my sanity.  I was surprisingly met with little resistance.  Eventually, I was given raises and promotions even though I had effectively cut my daily hours from 12 to like 7-8 today.

Your story (and especially this part) totally reminds me of BNL's latest post: "The Man" is You.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #143 on: June 04, 2014, 09:20:03 AM »
Not an FU Money story or even a literal FU! story, but more of a hindsight FU-ish story.  Worked at a large law firm between second and third years of law school.  Back then the expectation was you'd get an offer for employment at the end of the summer, for the following year (i.e., after graduation).  I hated everything about that job, about the corporate law firm existence, the white-shoe suit-and-tie set.  And it obviously showed.  At one point, I was given a ridiculously stupid assignment by a 4th or 5th year associate. I asked him what the deadline for completion was, and he told me, no hurry, before the end of summer.  Several weeks later (well short of the end of summer), he calls me to his office and asks where the project is.  I tell him it's only about 30% complete. He tells me he wanted it today.  I politely tell him, no you didn't.  A back and forth ensues that ends up with me going off on the guy, dropping a few F bombs and generally telling him he's full of shit, all heard by others in the vicinity.  This was just one of the many little idiotic typical law firm episodes I had that summer.  Did I mention I hated it?  And I REALLY hated the idiotic billable hour system, where you had to keep track of client billing in six-fucking-minute increments!!  WTF?  I was miserable, and more than a few of my friends noticed it.  Nevertheless, I anticipated getting an offer and taking that job.  It's basically what I'd been programmed to do in law school (and I'd taken this summer position over several others I'd been offered -- times were good).  And it paid really well.  And it was "prestigious." Classic golden handcuff situation.

And then the offer didn't come.  I was politely told over the phone that I wouldn't be getting an offer.  Stunned (though in hindsight, I'm not sure why), I asked if the caller could expound upon the reasons why.  He said, "Some of the Committee members thought you lacked a seriousness of purpose."  In other words, I didn't play the game like a good soldier is supposed to.

It took me a couple days to get past this rejection -- but once I did, I had this overwhelming feeling of liberation.  I'd been freed from taking that shitty job that I would have taken for no other reason than that it paid good money.  Weeks later, I interviewed for my current job with the federal government, and had an offer just a month later.  Turned out to be the best thing that could have happened to me.  16 years later, I'm looking at FIRE in another 5 years and change, and have had a really good career thus far.  No asshole bosses, no make-work B.S., plenty of autonomy, mostly interesting work, a sane work schedule, a shitload of money frankly (not like the law firm job but more than enough), and a pension when I retire.  In short, I hit the career jackpot.  All because I didn't get that offer, thank God.  Not a day goes by when I'm not thankful for the way things turned out. 

So the FU here is more of a hindsight FU to the corporate legal sector, and to my law school for steering me there, and to those Hiring Committee members who apparently thought I'd never amount to much. But even then, I have to temper the FU with a 'thank you,' for the reasons stated above. 

In short, life is good.  -)

MidwestGal

• Stubble
« Reply #144 on: June 04, 2014, 09:50:28 AM »
I love this thread.

Not terribly epic, but I did quit my first Big Girl job as a manager.  The company wasn't treating their employees very well and my direct boss was also going along with it.  The money I did have enabled me to leave the situation while supporting a family with NO job lined up, and the employer I found a few months later had much more integrity.  I don't work there anymore but still recommend folks to do business with them due to that one factor.

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #145 on: June 04, 2014, 10:16:16 AM »
So I started cutting back my hours..  this job was intended to be a 8 or 9 hour a day deal as opposed to the 12+ I was working so I tested leaving earlier and earlier each day, hopefully to regain my sanity.  I was surprisingly met with little resistance.  Eventually, I was given raises and promotions even though I had effectively cut my daily hours from 12 to like 7-8 today.

Your story (and especially this part) totally reminds me of BNL's latest post: "The Man" is You.

I would change the title of BNL's article to "The Man Might Be You."  There are clearly times when it's not you -- it's your employer, or possibly even your entire industry.

Look, I'm a geezer of 37 and I lived through the tech downturn of 2000.  Companies were outsourcing like gangbusters, laying off thousands of workers, and if you weren't one of the top contributors, you were gone, period.  I watched it happen:  India and APAC took many of those jobs.  There was intense pressure to increase output and in many cases that meant more hours in the form of unpaid overtime.  I had a few friends get laid off and they had trouble finding work because no one was hiring.

In this case, make no mistake about it, The Man really is The Man.

So make sure you have that FU money built up before you start ratcheting the hours down.   It works out for some people -- maybe even most people -- but not everyone.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #146 on: June 04, 2014, 10:25:53 AM »
Weeks later, I interviewed for my current job with the federal government, and had an offer just a month later.  ... No asshole bosses, no make-work B.S., plenty of autonomy, mostly interesting work, a sane work schedule, a shitload of money frankly (not like the law firm job but more than enough),

You did hit the jackpot-- I'd caution anyone reading this post not to consider any of the above typical in the federal government

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #147 on: June 04, 2014, 12:16:51 PM »
Oh, forgot about my favorite FU job-quitting story.  Guy named Willie, a grizzled, bearded biker dude who worked on a roofing crew I worked on one summer (easily one of the worst jobs in America -- this is the industrial, hot tar roofing I'm talking about, not that easy by comparison residential shingling stuff, which I've also done plenty of).  The owner of the company's last name was Grodd (first name withheld).  Mr. Grodd confronted Willie one time on the job, and Willie took exception.  He told him, "Fuck you, your name is Grodd, not God," and promptly walked off the job.  hahaha!

He ended up getting his job back.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #148 on: June 04, 2014, 10:44:43 PM »
I used FU money in 2011 to take a sabbatical. I had just turned 51. I walked into my boss's office and said: I need to tell you something. I'm taking a year off". He said: "We don't allow that here". I said: "I'm not asking for you permission. I'm just doing it." He said: 'We can't guarantee that you can have your job back" I said: "I can't guarantee that I'll want my job back!". He asked: "How can you possibly afford to do this?" I said: "That's really a personal question, but I can tell you it involves savings and investments". Man, this dude was pissed. The president of the company called me to wish me the best and asked me to call him when I returned from my walkabout to discuss some opportunities. I ended up returning to a different department 15 months later. Higher pay. Promotion. I quit again 2 years later. They transferred me to another division. Higher pay. Another promotion.
Frugality pays.
I'm preparing for another world tour.

sounds like "office space"

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #149 on: June 05, 2014, 05:38:15 AM »
Weeks later, I interviewed for my current job with the federal government, and had an offer just a month later.  ... No asshole bosses, no make-work B.S., plenty of autonomy, mostly interesting work, a sane work schedule, a shitload of money frankly (not like the law firm job but more than enough),

You did hit the jackpot-- I'd caution anyone reading this post not to consider any of the above typical in the federal government

I agree, given the current state of legal industry. A stunt like that today will probably not end well.