Author Topic: Epic FU money stories  (Read 2794848 times)

theSlowTurtle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Epic FU money stories
« Reply #1050 on: March 18, 2016, 05:06:15 AM »
http://www.businessinsider.com/adam-laroche-retires-told-not-to-bring-son-to-clubhouse-2016-3

Relevant to this thread, White Sox player says "I quit" when told he can't bring his 14 year old son to practice and games as often. He must have had some sort of home-schooling arrangement in order for the son to be around the ballpark so much.
I am a Nationals fan (team LaRoche played for a number of years) and heard about this on local radio. My first reaction was "Good for him!"

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1051 on: March 18, 2016, 06:47:02 AM »
Can someone tell me how to add a picture?  I have an epic story that you'd have to see to believe...

Ah, there it is.  Sorry for the vulgarity!

This was her response to me telling her that if she doesn't want people quitting all the time, she should try not being so rude.  She apparently didn't get the message!  Thank God for FU money!

That type of belittling and that type of language describing what she (or he) thinks of the other person is not only vulgar, but disgusting.

frugalecon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1052 on: March 29, 2016, 07:44:41 PM »
http://www.businessinsider.com/adam-laroche-retires-told-not-to-bring-son-to-clubhouse-2016-3

Relevant to this thread, White Sox player says "I quit" when told he can't bring his 14 year old son to practice and games as often. He must have had some sort of home-schooling arrangement in order for the son to be around the ballpark so much.
I am a Nationals fan (team LaRoche played for a number of years) and heard about this on local radio. My first reaction was "Good for him!"

Strange, my first reaction was, "Imagine what a mess it would be if all ball players insisted on bringing their minor children to the park for every game." Also, "hmmm, management is less accommodating to a .207 hitter (2015) than a .259 hitter (2014).

azure975

• Stubble
« Reply #1053 on: April 02, 2016, 01:52:45 PM »
So close to exercising the FU option right now. It'll agitate me too much to go into details right now but am just so glad to have the option.

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #1054 on: April 02, 2016, 04:04:40 PM »
Azure975, don't tell us the details...tell us an imaginary tale of how you see your Epic FU fantasy playing out?  That could be fun.

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #1055 on: April 12, 2016, 04:22:08 PM »
following!

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1056 on: April 12, 2016, 07:15:57 PM »
So close to exercising the FU option right now. It'll agitate me too much to go into details right now but am just so glad to have the option.

Word. I've been right on the edge for the past several weeks. And this is in a job I loved right up until it got political and someone started messing with my work.

Knowing I have FU money gives me such peace of mind. I'm still hoping there's a resolution I like to the issues I'm facing right now, but if there isn't -- hey, summer's coming, and there's plenty of time to look for work in the fall.

Good luck, Azure975.

azure975

• Stubble
« Reply #1057 on: April 12, 2016, 10:22:57 PM »

Word. I've been right on the edge for the past several weeks. And this is in a job I loved right up until it got political and someone started messing with my work.

Knowing I have FU money gives me such peace of mind. I'm still hoping there's a resolution I like to the issues I'm facing right now, but if there isn't -- hey, summer's coming, and there's plenty of time to look for work in the fall.

Good luck, Azure975.

Thanks! An update on my situation--I've just been keeping my head down and working on finishing up a project which will end at the end of this month. Then I plan to approach my boss and tell her that I will be moving on over the summer. I have been wanting to take a "mini-retirement" for a long time and this seems like the right time. Hopefully I won't chicken out!

jlajr

• Stubble
« Reply #1058 on: April 12, 2016, 10:52:36 PM »
Thanks! An update on my situation--I've just been keeping my head down and working on finishing up a project which will end at the end of this month. Then I plan to approach my boss and tell her that I will be moving on over the summer. I have been wanting to take a "mini-retirement" for a long time and this seems like the right time. Hopefully I won't chicken out!
Go for it, azure975!

I just might do the same...

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1059 on: April 15, 2016, 09:42:26 PM »

Excellent! Spouse & I tried a mini-retirement a couple of years back, and it was really fantastic. So relaxing. We realized based on our spending that we weren't quite at the FI stage yet, but I'm so glad we took retirement for a test-drive. Enjoy yours!

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #1060 on: April 18, 2016, 06:19:11 AM »
posting to follow.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1061 on: April 23, 2016, 12:11:55 AM »
All caught up. May I have some more stories please?

drunkenNoodles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1062 on: April 23, 2016, 09:27:46 AM »
After several months at my new job, my boss/owner brought up the idea of us partnering and expanding the business. I took a month to think and eventually decided it could be a great idea and we proceeded. After I had started bringing ideas to action, handling large portions of the shared work, and getting in the mental state of being a co-owner, my "boss" decided she didn't want to partner. I believe it's because she realized she would have to make less for a while as the business grew, as well as work with someone who she'd have to treat as an equal.

She decided she wanted me to be her "assistant" instead. Which meant still doing the extra work I was doing as well as being her go-to person for every issue and complaint. Basically reduced to her peon while she gladly referred to me as her assistant and giddily proclaimed me as such to business contacts and other employees.

My boss who i do respect as she's a kind, good-hearted person, is a poor communicator and business owner. The type who can't handle stress or make a decision without panicking. The type who doesn't respect your personal time and sucks your energy talking about all their problems, both personal and business related.

It was just a few years ago that I started saving FU money and working towards FIRE. It has allowed me to give two weeks notice and pursue two much better business opportunities.

And after I gave a respectful, no finger-pointing resignation, my boss who finally got back to me days later had the nerve to say, "I hope you know I'm not mad at you..", HA! What an ego. Grateful for FU money!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1063 on: April 23, 2016, 09:31:42 AM »
After several months at my new job, my boss/owner brought up the idea of us partnering and expanding the business. I took a month to think and eventually decided it could be a great idea and we proceeded. After I had started bringing ideas to action, handling large portions of the shared work, and getting in the mental state of being a co-owner, my "boss" decided she didn't want to partner. I believe it's because she realized she would have to make less for a while as the business grew, as well as work with someone who she'd have to treat as an equal.

She decided she wanted me to be her "assistant" instead. Which meant still doing the extra work I was doing as well as being her go-to person for every issue and complaint. Basically reduced to her peon while she gladly referred to me as her assistant and giddily proclaimed me as such to business contacts and other employees.

My boss who i do respect as she's a kind, good-hearted person, is a poor communicator and business owner. The type who can't handle stress or make a decision without panicking. The type who doesn't respect your personal time and sucks your energy talking about all their problems, both personal and business related.

It was just a few years ago that I started saving FU money and working towards FIRE. It has allowed me to give two weeks notice and pursue two much better business opportunities.

And after I gave a respectful, no finger-pointing resignation, my boss who finally got back to me days later had the nerve to say, "I hope you know I'm not mad at you..", HA! What an ego. Grateful for FU money!
Ah, this reminds me of my husband's job after grad school.  A start up run by a narcissist who grew up with a silver spoon in his mouth.  Sole owner of company, kept talking about issuing stock, but never did.  Managed to get contracts and hire great people, but after about 4-5 years of that, I could see the writing on the wall.  He talked about selling the business to my hubby and another senior guy so he could "retire".  I started encouraging him to look elsewhere.  He did, got a better job and the place went belly up 9 months later.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1064 on: May 04, 2016, 02:37:59 PM »
Replying only to subscribe. I'm grateful I haven't had some of the bad experiences.  Some were less-than-ideal, but for the most part, I've had a good employment experience.

feelingroovy

• Bristles
« Reply #1065 on: May 10, 2016, 03:35:24 PM »
One month into my 3-month maternity leave, I took my departing in-laws to the airport.  I drove home thinking, "two more months home along with a toddler and a baby."  God help me.

When I got home, I was shocked to find DH was there.  Tuns out half the company got laid off, including him.  We high-fived.

That, man. THAT RIGHT THERE. The fact that you can react to a layoff, especially one that hits right after a child is born, with high-fives is THE ENTIRE POINT OF THIS WEBSITE, amirite?? That's what we're all going for: liberation from money-related stress! People who aren't liberated would react to that with tears and possibly acrimony so bad it leads to divorce.

Oh, how I wish the forum had a "like" button and that I could press it 10^6 times. 

I've read the entire thread, beginning to end, and have an e-mail alert set up so I can know when responses posted (haven't posted-to-follow until now, though!), but I had forgotten about this story.  Daleth, thanks so much for highlighting it and bringing it before my eyes again--feelingroovy, I keep re-reading this amazing post-partum high-five story and letting it sink in, and in, and in some more--and tears well up in my eyes as I think how wonderful it is that your family knew PEACE in the aftermath of the layoff. 

This site freaking ROCKS.  :)

Thanks, Daleth and ZootsTwin. 

Those two months were truly "the life." We decided then that it was the only way to live--two kids, two stay at home parents.

I never understood why people buy houses and set up lifestyles that require two salaries. That's just asking for trouble.

That newborn is now 12 and we have taken the slow road to FI. We have always been frugal, but this site has given me the strategies to invest. Our wealth-building strategies are much more optimized now.

afuera

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1066 on: May 11, 2016, 09:58:14 AM »
I have a few older people I work with that are very candid about their situation and priorities.  The best way I heard it described was this:

"Every person has two buckets, a brown and a green.  The size of these buckets vary by person and sometimes by the time of day but regardless, the employee will leave when either one gets full."

For now both of my buckets are pretty empty but I'm so happy that by quickly filling up my green bucket (saving more and spending less), I will be able to keep my brown bucket small and feel comfortable leaving whenever it gets full.

jordanread

« Reply #1067 on: May 11, 2016, 10:00:34 AM »
"Every person has two buckets, a brown and a green.  The size of these buckets vary by person and sometimes by the time of day but regardless, the employee will leave when either one gets full."

Oh, I like that!!

2lazy2retire

• Bristles
« Reply #1068 on: May 11, 2016, 12:05:51 PM »
Can someone tell me how to add a picture?  I have an epic story that you'd have to see to believe...

Ah, there it is.  Sorry for the vulgarity!

This was her response to me telling her that if she doesn't want people quitting all the time, she should try not being so rude.  She apparently didn't get the message!  Thank God for FU money!

Is she British?

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1069 on: May 11, 2016, 01:15:47 PM »
Lately, I've taken to telling people exactly what I think of them. This has resulted in me either gaining greater respect from people or people cutting me off entirely (which is no big loss.) Seriously, if I upset someone, what are they going to do? Complain to my boss? And then I'll have to spend my day exercising, reading books, and posting on the internet while I live off a small amount of my massive savings? Who cares? Having FU money is awesome.

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #1070 on: May 11, 2016, 09:50:06 PM »
@2lazy2retire No, she was just nasty.

LAL

• Stubble
« Reply #1071 on: May 12, 2016, 06:40:29 PM »
DH last summer went on a 1 month sabbatical on which we moved cross country. He came back on Monday after a month off and turned in his 2 weeks notice.  His boss said "huh I wondered what was going on with you selling your house and planning on renting."  He told HR that it was not a pleasant environment to work when in March they laid off 75% of the department but had been rude enough that they had interviewed and hired all their replacements the previous September-December.  He hadn't been cut but hated the workplace.  So he decided to leave and we left. 

Since even before March he had been doing anything he wanted.  He'd been hoping for a layoff.  Oh well.  Those jerks had laid off his old boss who had just come back from second bout of breast cancer.  She knew she was gone from lack of presence. 

FU money is nice and handy. We probably are close to FI but DH wants to work so here we are.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1072 on: May 12, 2016, 07:20:21 PM »
Lately, I've taken to telling people exactly what I think of them. This has resulted in me either gaining greater respect from people or people cutting me off entirely (which is no big loss.) Seriously, if I upset someone, what are they going to do? Complain to my boss? And then I'll have to spend my day exercising, reading books, and posting on the internet while I live off a small amount of my massive savings? Who cares? Having FU money is awesome.

I hope you reserve that negative candor for people who deserve it by being terribly rude or hurtful to other employees, or cause others real inconveniences in their personal life by being unreliable or lazy.

Everyone could use some improvement, it's not right to call out people for harmless foibles.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1073 on: May 22, 2016, 10:51:12 PM »
Posting to follow

twojabs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1074 on: May 23, 2016, 04:36:54 PM »
I used to have a really controlling manager.

I went for 3 external interviews in August, and 1 internal interview in early September.

On one morning in early December, I got my annual performance review in which, after a year of him being a complete negative micromanagement ass biscuit to me, he gave me a semi positive review and said I need to make more decisions (even tho every decision I've taken had been wrong in the previous 2 years).

Anyway, good review aside, I got a knockback from the internal job that morning too, and he was super smug about it.

He did not, however, know that of 3 external jobs, I received 3 offers on the same morning (well, on the Friday, Saturday and Monday morning).

I went out for my lunch and returned, calmly handing him my resignation letter with a smile on my face, only to see him melt into his chair, claim he was sad and that I had been a good employee.  All this after I "broke the relationship" in going for the internal interview...

A bad boss is bad business, but with a leader you can do your best work.  I didn't go for the highest paying job... But I did go for the right one.

LouLou

• Bristles
« Reply #1075 on: May 25, 2016, 06:48:08 AM »
Unnfortunately I signed a non compete contract with her.  Does anyone know how enforceable those are?  I can't help but think sending that text to her client list would sway their impression of her. 
This was my post FIRE gig.  I started 6 months ago but I was her longest employee.  I got tired of training new people and thought I'd make a few suggestions.  It was just fun money for me but I felt I had to say something for the other workers and couldn't stand bending my principles anymore.

Not sure outside the US but generally in the US noncompetes are unenforecable if you aren't an executive.  Noncom in return for $1M of stock grants?  Probably enforceable.  Noncom for a $50k/yr job?  Unenforceable.  Basically they cannot make you unable to earn a living.

IANAL, etc.

Whoa, hold on there.  Cannot Wait!, if you are looking for guidance on non-compete law, you really need to consult an attorney familiar with your state's (or other country?) laws because the laws vary greatly by state.  Many states won't dishonor an entire non-compete just because a portion is unenforceable, but will actually "blue pencil" the clause to put greater limits to turn it into an enforceable clause.  The examples that Chris22 wrote, while well-intentioned, represents a pretty common misconception/over-generalization about this area of law.  Although, he is correct on this part: "Basically they cannot make you unable to earn a living."  Definitely consult an attorney if this is an issue you want to understand accurately for your situation.

Absolutely consult an attorney who has experience in this area.  I love enforcing non-competes, and could enforce a well-written one against someone who made $50k under the right circumstances. And in many states, the courts will just adjust the terms of an otherwise unenforceable non-compete to make it unenforceable ("blue penciling").

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #1076 on: May 25, 2016, 06:58:35 AM »
Thanks LouLou!
This was just a small time gig.  Turns out I don't *need* the money as much as I thought and am really enjoying not working at all.

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1077 on: May 26, 2016, 10:14:34 AM »
Binge read the whole thread.  Sad stories, but WONDERFULLY entertaining.  Thank you all.

I have a few stories.  Will post one now, a few more to follow.  The only one I would categorize as an FU will be posted as some other time.

I was given incredible opportunities in my lifetime.  We took advantage of most of them, leading to me being FIRE with 2 FIRE dates.  The first date was the last day of school last year.  My second date was the FIRST day teachers were to report back.  I wasn't there :)

Got a degree in Computer Science in the early 90's, but went to work for my Grandfather in the family manufacturing business to see if that was the career I wanted.  I did not.  I did enjoy making things, but it was a little boring, and there were some issues with management(Uncle, cousin) I did not want to deal with for the rest of my life.  In short, I did not trust them and therefore did not want to be their partner.

After 3 1/2 years, I left to pursue a career using my degree.  So my first FU was not that at all.  It was simply living below our means in order to walk away from a very lucrative company simply because I did not want to stay.  My dad is still there to this day (at 75), HATING it, and destroying his body in order to deal with it(or NOT deal with it).  He can afford to leave anytime he wants to, but won't.

That led to my next FU story, which will be forthcoming.

Anyone else with a family related FU story?

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1078 on: May 27, 2016, 07:35:44 AM »
a complete negative micromanagement ass biscuit

I'm saving this to share the next time my friend complains about her boss.

h82goslw

• Stubble
« Reply #1079 on: May 28, 2016, 05:23:25 AM »
a complete negative micromanagement ass biscuit

I'm saving this to share the next time my friend complains about her boss.

I'm saving this so I can use the phrase
"Complete negative micromanagement ass biscuit"  some day in conversation.  😄

coacheichenlaub

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Prosperous Teachers - Helping Busy Teachers Get Ahead
« Reply #1080 on: May 28, 2016, 07:34:56 PM »
Holy cow, this is fantastic.

everinprogress

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1081 on: May 30, 2016, 08:58:04 PM »
I love this thread :)
I don't have a great story, but definitely want to make sure we have enough FU money on hand that we could, should the need arise

EcoCanuck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1082 on: June 02, 2016, 03:42:52 AM »
My story is an in-progress story.

Currently I'm working for a job that I really like and have a good team but we have a 'supervisory' manager from another company that has the most combative and rude management style that I have ever experienced. I can't say that every day is an epic FU Money Story what I do have is the confidence that if I were fired I would be fine and my wife is a-ok with us making a dramatic change at any moment.

My entire team is constantly berated and told we are doing things wrong and the smalllllest little thing becomes an hour to two hour long tirade on why everything we do is always wrong. *note* 95% of the time everything is completely unfounded. Within my first 6 months I was threatened to be fired over 30 times - I stopped counting. After the third or fourth threatening I said, 'Yes, by all means. After you do that we can go out and have a few drinks. However this this and this is wrong and I'm very busy." He attempted a few more times to try and scare me in to place before realizing that I had no fear. Now, while he still threatens to fire he's also decided that he likes me and is trying to get me promoted within my own company or brought over to his company.

Having enough money to comfortably walk away at any time has just turned the constant idiocy in to a laughing matter. Unfortunately my coworkers are not in the same position so they feel much more stress and anxiety. While this manager does make days longer and harder to get my work done I'm able to speak my mind and do my damn job all because of epic FU money and the confidence that it has brought.

EcoCanuck

simmias

• Stubble
« Reply #1083 on: June 02, 2016, 06:07:01 AM »
My entire team is constantly berated and told we are doing things wrong and the smalllllest little thing becomes an hour to two hour long tirade on why everything we do is always wrong.
Tabs vs. spaces?

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1084 on: June 02, 2016, 07:33:13 AM »
My entire team is constantly berated and told we are doing things wrong and the smalllllest little thing becomes an hour to two hour long tirade on why everything we do is always wrong. *note* 95% of the time everything is completely unfounded. Within my first 6 months I was threatened to be fired over 30 times - I stopped counting. After the third or fourth threatening I said, 'Yes, by all means. After you do that we can go out and have a few drinks. However this this and this is wrong and I'm very busy." He attempted a few more times to try and scare me in to place before realizing that I had no fear. Now, while he still threatens to fire he's also decided that he likes me and is trying to get me promoted within my own company or brought over to his company.
The word "bully" comes to mind--as soon as you stood your ground, things turned around.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #1085 on: June 02, 2016, 07:38:08 AM »
My entire team is constantly berated and told we are doing things wrong and the smalllllest little thing becomes an hour to two hour long tirade on why everything we do is always wrong.
Tabs vs. spaces?

Spaces, never tabs!

(You must be a software developer to understand this one)

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1086 on: June 02, 2016, 08:00:11 AM »
Tabs vs. spaces?

Spaces, never tabs!

(SW dev here) Are you kidding me!?  Tabs are *way* better than spaces! :)

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1087 on: June 02, 2016, 08:09:32 AM »
Tabs vs. spaces?

Spaces, never tabs!

Or just seen the most recent episode of Silicon Valley. :-p

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #1088 on: June 02, 2016, 08:57:20 AM »
Tabs vs. spaces?

Spaces, never tabs!

(SW dev here) Are you kidding me!?  Tabs are *way* better than spaces! :)

I prefer a pre-checkin formatting script, but we never got around to it at my last company...we were spending too much time debating the proper amount of spacing around operators, when to camel case, and other such important stuff.  That's OK, though, because we only spent about 100 engineer-years on the project and then had it canceled, only to be replaced by another project with essentially the same specs, except the main controller was replaced by another part "produced" by a company we bought.  Which was OK except the owner of the company was friends with management at my company - they went to college together or something.  And that the part wasn't done yet.  So last I heard they were off developing a simulation environment because there was no hardware.  I really don't know anymore...I left in February.

Arktinkerer

• Bristles
« Reply #1089 on: June 02, 2016, 03:02:56 PM »

I prefer a pre-checkin formatting script, but we never got around to it at my last company...we were spending too much time debating the proper amount of spacing around operators, when to camel case, and other such important stuff.  That's OK, though, because we only spent about 100 engineer-years on the project and then had it canceled, only to be replaced by another project with essentially the same specs, except the main controller was replaced by another part "produced" by a company we bought.  Which was OK except the owner of the company was friends with management at my company - they went to college together or something.  And that the part wasn't done yet.  So last I heard they were off developing a simulation environment because there was no hardware.  I really don't know anymore...I left in February.

Set up something like GNU Indent with a check out and check in settings.  Check out code and get it the way you want.  Check in and it goes back to the "standard" with no problems.  Takes about an hour to setup and everyone is happy...unless they are looking over your shoulder.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #1090 on: June 02, 2016, 05:35:58 PM »
^ Yup.  My general point is that the organization I was in preferred to debate and argue more than solve the problem and move on with life.  TBH, I probably contributed to that culture myself at times.  Anyway, no longer my problem since 2/19/16.

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1091 on: June 02, 2016, 06:53:34 PM »
^ Yup.  My general point is that the organization I was in preferred to debate and argue more than solve the problem and move on with life.  TBH, I probably contributed to that culture myself at times.  Anyway, no longer my problem since 2/19/16.

I think it's possible I am working for that very same company ;)

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #1092 on: June 02, 2016, 08:18:57 PM »

I think it's possible I am working for that very same company ;)

You, me, and Dilbert.  It's a pandemic I think.  There was a book I started reading once the thesis of which was that all business organizations are inherently messed up simply as a result of their objectives.  Not sure I totally agree, but I can see how it is easier for most places to be yucky.

If you PM me where you work, I'll confirm or deny ;-)

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1093 on: June 03, 2016, 05:43:50 AM »

jlajr

• Stubble
« Reply #1094 on: June 03, 2016, 07:10:58 AM »
Between April of last year until about two months ago, I was extremely frustrated at work and looking for another job (which would require moving where I live). If I had been offered any of the jobs for which I applied, I would have accepted it with no hesitation.

Unfortunately, after months of a frustrating job search, usually driving at least two hours each way to interviews/tests and taking vacation time to do so, I decided that I would no longer actively look for another job. I also decided not to move from where I current live and leave my current job, before accepting another position. As you did, I decided to allow my Stash to continue to grow instead of possibly using it to cover expenses while looking for a job.

Coming to these decisions has made a huge difference. I have not fully returned to my pre-April 2015 state of being extremely happy with my situation - but I am nonetheless happy, regardless of what my managers have or have not done, are or are not doing, and will or will not do.

I do what I need to do to maintain a healthy state of mind - such as freely speak my mind or flatly refuse to do certain tasks. The worst-case scenario, as far as I can tell, would be my current employer firing me (or laying me off, or whatever you choose to call it), with a contract-required notice of two months. As that's a fairly attractive option from my point of view, if that happens, I'd simply say something like "Great. Thank you.", leave the office, tell my landlord I'm exercising the clause in my lease that allows me to cancel it with two months' notice, and start looking for a new job and a new place to live.

I actually joke with colleagues that happy jlajr can be just as annoying as frustrated jlajr, and that I suspect that they have started putting happy pills in my lunch. :)

Well, freely speaking my mind and flatly refusing to do certain tasks has, in fact, resulted in my employer terminating my employment.

When I decided that I would no longer actively look for another job and realized that my employer terminating my employment would be a fairly attractive option from my point of view, I kind of forgot to think about what I would do after my employer terminated my employment. I guess I should do that now.

With two months notice, I'll have some time to do just that.

(Don't say, Wow, two months notice? That's amazing., just yet. The other side of the coin is that if I had resigned, I would have been required to give my employer two months notice as well.)

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1095 on: June 03, 2016, 07:15:18 AM »
Between April of last year until about two months ago, I was extremely frustrated at work and looking for another job (which would require moving where I live). If I had been offered any of the jobs for which I applied, I would have accepted it with no hesitation.

Unfortunately, after months of a frustrating job search, usually driving at least two hours each way to interviews/tests and taking vacation time to do so, I decided that I would no longer actively look for another job. I also decided not to move from where I current live and leave my current job, before accepting another position. As you did, I decided to allow my Stash to continue to grow instead of possibly using it to cover expenses while looking for a job.

Coming to these decisions has made a huge difference. I have not fully returned to my pre-April 2015 state of being extremely happy with my situation - but I am nonetheless happy, regardless of what my managers have or have not done, are or are not doing, and will or will not do.

I do what I need to do to maintain a healthy state of mind - such as freely speak my mind or flatly refuse to do certain tasks. The worst-case scenario, as far as I can tell, would be my current employer firing me (or laying me off, or whatever you choose to call it), with a contract-required notice of two months. As that's a fairly attractive option from my point of view, if that happens, I'd simply say something like "Great. Thank you.", leave the office, tell my landlord I'm exercising the clause in my lease that allows me to cancel it with two months' notice, and start looking for a new job and a new place to live.

I actually joke with colleagues that happy jlajr can be just as annoying as frustrated jlajr, and that I suspect that they have started putting happy pills in my lunch. :)

Well, freely speaking my mind and flatly refusing to do certain tasks has, in fact, resulted in my employer terminating my employment.

When I decided that I would no longer actively look for another job and realized that my employer terminating my employment would be a fairly attractive option from my point of view, I kind of forgot to think about what I would do after my employer terminated my employment. I guess I should do that now.

With two months notice, I'll have some time to do just that.

(Don't say, Wow, two months notice? That's amazing., just yet. The other side of the coin is that if I had resigned, I would have been required to give my employer two months notice as well.)

Well, congrats, I think?  Am I misremembering, or are you and your wife expecting a kid?

msilenus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1096 on: June 03, 2016, 11:36:07 AM »
I prefer a pre-checkin formatting script...

You clearly reject a reality that is clear to others around you, and yet either lack the courage of your convictions to engage them in open debate, or else know you will lose on the merits. 

Which is to say that you sound like a tabs-man.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #1097 on: June 03, 2016, 08:39:57 PM »
I prefer a pre-checkin formatting script...

You clearly reject a reality that is clear to others around you, and yet either lack the courage of your convictions to engage them in open debate, or else know you will lose on the merits. 

Which is to say that you sound like a tabs-man.

Wow.  False dichotomy, ad hominem, red herring, and prejudice.  You sound like you're trolling or forgot the /sarcasm tag.

If it matters to anyone, I don't care either way, I think it's a silly argument, and I think it's more productive to let people work the way they like and use technology to ease the interface with each other rather than have endless "religious" debates.

msilenus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1098 on: June 03, 2016, 08:57:54 PM »
I did not forget the sarcasm tag.  It's more like I failed at not needing it.

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1099 on: June 03, 2016, 08:59:38 PM »
OMG, I am not even a coder (which probably means my two cents means nothing), but spaces drive me crazy. Tabs are the ONLY way to go when formatting.