Author Topic: Epic FU money stories  (Read 2794901 times)

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
Re: Epic FU money stories
« Reply #3750 on: April 03, 2021, 01:05:33 AM »
Leadership was totally floored when I resigned and started panicking over an upcoming big important meeting with the shit client. They wanted me to still attend.  I said nopey nope nope.

Epic!
I love that ending, what a bunch of dicks!

I wish I had an epic story, I felt so burnt out, and there was undue stress and some toxic people at my job, but mostly professional  with drama I'd say. I gave 2 weeks notice and said I will not consider any part time offers. That was January six months into a OMY senario.

Boll weevil

• Stubble
« Reply #3751 on: April 05, 2021, 09:25:29 AM »
This one doesn’t fit into the typical employee bucks the employer narrative, but there’s still a good-humored FU in here.

We’re represented by a union, but work in a right-to-work/open shop state, so membership typically runs in the 25-35% range. But around contract negotiation time, the union goes on a big membership drive to try to have a better negotiating position (they’re typically able to get it up to 60-70% through the vote, and then it promptly falls back to usual levels until the next negotiation).

So a few years ago during one of those drives, they ask (coworker) to join. He keeps saying no, and eventually throws out that if the recruiter can get (lead, who isn’t at his desk but sits right across the aisle from (coworker)) to join, he’ll join too.

I’m not sure if (lead) is against all unions in general, but he has been fairly vocal about how he sees out union as worthless, so (coworker) had good reason to believe it wouldn’t happen.

So the recruiter comes back when (lead) is around and does his typical pitch, and (lead) of course says no. So then the recruiter mentions that the main reason he’s asking is that (coworker) said he’d join if (lead) did.

And (lead) says “Oh, in that case, sign me up.”

I heard about it later, and in that conversation (lead) said something to the effect of “That’ll teach (coworker) not to try to hide behind others on stuff like that.”

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #3752 on: April 05, 2021, 09:53:08 AM »
That's a great one. They "Hold-my-beer"-ed each other into a smart decision.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3753 on: April 05, 2021, 10:08:27 AM »
“That’ll teach (coworker) not to try to hide behind others on stuff like that.”

Now we need an Awesome Levels of FU Pettiness thread

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3754 on: April 05, 2021, 03:13:23 PM »
“That’ll teach (coworker) not to try to hide behind others on stuff like that.”

Now we need an Awesome Levels of FU Pettiness thread

Maybe (coworker) learned how to say "Nopey nope nope nope" since then.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3755 on: April 06, 2021, 08:46:22 AM »
I have an epic FU story, but I did not have the FU money at the time to back it up, and its something that has come back to bite me in the ass over the years (small field). I still don't care and I'd do it the same way.

I worked for a private medical group that consisted of 11 people, with 5 of them being partners. They made all the decisions, they directed the employees when to work, they made 2x as much for the same job and they took 8 weeks of vacation a year while offering the employees 4. Basically any time a partner called you, you'd be getting reamed out, or told for whatever reason why you were to be the one doing the work that day while they sat on their asses.

I'd worked for this company for 3 years when things started going south. Partners were grumpy, they started acting real nervous. The company party was canceled, they had a meeting and told us there were financial problems. One of the partners was a dolt and had been put in charge of a contract that none of the other partners wanted to do. Dolt proceeded to generally fuck things up and they lost the contract. It had provided over 4 FTEs and they were sweating it. They didn't want to get rid of anyone because that would mean they'd have to do more work, so I think they slowly let the company coffers run dry.

A few months pass, and they let us know that they're going to have to let go of 2 people. They're "going to start asking around and soliciting feedback on everyone" so just hold tight and wait to see if you're listed as either of the 2 people (out of 6 employees) getting canned. I've been watching this, and having asked a lot of questions am acutely aware that canning 2 people will not make up for the loss of 4 FTEs.

At this time I'm pregnant, and one of the Doctors we work with invites me to their Christmas party because we're fairly friendly. Since the party is hosted at his partner physician's house, I pull him aside and ask if I can come to the party because I was invited by physician 1 and I didn't want to crash his house without him knowing I'm coming. It turns into this HUGE shitstorm where he's apologizing because he accidentally snubbed our entire group, he hadn't intended to forget us etc. He calls the partners to apologize and invite them, and I'm hung out to dry. The partners call ME, tell me that I've embarrassed the entire group, we could lose more contracts as a result of this etc etc. Later on that week in the middle of a clinical day I get told that I'm being pulled out of my patient assignment to have a meeting with all of the partners. I thought I was going to be fired on the spot. I called my husband, had him run to walmart and buy me a voice recorder and go to this meeting. In the end they just grilled me, harassed me about what an embarrassment I was and let me go back to taking care of my patient. I was totally fried, terrified, shaking etc.

Incident 2 regarding this employer. When I announced that I was pregnant, things had already started to go bad financially. They were obviously very annoyed that I'd dared to have another child (already had 1 baby while employed there), and when I told them my intent to take 7 weeks off and return like the previous time, I was told "you do not tell us what you will be taking. you can ask and we will let you know what's allowed. we did not appreciate your attitude and your assumption that you could do that stretch of time". I got a ton of shit over the phone, had multiple partners calling me, this one particular lady was horribly bitchy and was always tasked with being the awful disciplinarian with everyone. So I cry on the phone, say I don't understand why its a problem this time, and they let me know that 2 of the partners had already scheduled vacation for my anticipated leave time and that I must be back because they could not change their plans and we had to have enough people to cover our patient needs. I was also told that since vacation accrues during the year and cannot roll over to the next, I hadn't already earned the time or the right to be off for the current year.

The partners finally name 1 person who is going to be canned and give her 2 months notice so she can find a new job. They tell everyone that they like us all so much its so hard to decide that they just can't pick a 2nd person. I'm sitting there pregnant, evaluating the 2 incidents I listed above and realizing there's a good chance that they want me gone, but legally can't get rid of me while pregnant. So I have my baby, go on leave, interview for jobs while on maternity leave. The horrible bitch lady's oldest son is getting married on a Saturday so I give my notice to quit 2 days beforehand. I send them all an email titled "new employment" that says "I've taken a new job, my last day is X" and nothing else. A shit storm of phone calls occur and everyone's telling me I can't just give notice via email, that I'm burning my bridges, this is a small field and everyone knows everyone and it could hurt me etc. I know it ruined bitch lady's ability to relax and enjoy her precious poopsie's wedding and I would do it again IN A HEARTBEAT.

I know I should have done something legally regarding the pregnancy leave but I figured no matter what happened (if I had pursued something) they would have had justification for getting rid of me as the 2nd person. I let it go because I was naive and just wanted out. These people also harassed a coworker when she was assigned jury duty (also illegal!)

A follow up to the company - a 3rd employee left when I did and they were down to 8 employees. They never rehired, they clearly didn't have the money. The hospitals eventually got sick of them and told them their contracts weren't being renewed. The company folded and the partners all went to work as hospital employees with a fraction of the money or benefits they had earned by stiffing us employees. Good riddance to them. I still get nervous when I visit friends in that old town that I might run into bitch lady at Target or something, and whether I'd be ready to tell her off that I should have sued her.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 09:00:16 AM by fuzzy math »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3756 on: April 06, 2021, 02:47:39 PM »
You can pay your income taxes in cash at various retail stores around the country:

https://www.irs.gov/payments/pay-with-cash-at-a-retail-partner

I did not know that! (Obviously.) Sorry for the hijack, ya'll. Here's a true story for your trouble.

ETA: Did I tell this one before?? Long ago I meant not to tell it, to maintain anonymity. After writing this, it occurred to me that I've gotten slack lately and may have told it - probably in this very thread! But I can't find it. Anyway, enjoy this telling of the tale.

Sometimes it doesn't take a lot of cash to say FU to an employer. Sometimes it just takes a conscience, or a couple months' pay in the bank. That was my situation when I took down a multimillion dollar securities fraud.

I didn't know at first that I was working for crooks. I was just an early 20something with no job who answered an ad for "unlimited pay, make your own hours", aka commission sales. The product in that pre-internet era was a buying club membership for home furnishings. They trained you to make this hour long scripted pitch from a flip book, face to face with a customer at their home, to explain how their $700 lifetime membership would save them thousands of dollars on all the furniture purchases they'd make for the rest of their lives. If they bit, they could visit the showroom forever, peruse paper catalogs, and order from All The Major Manufacturers at wholesale pricing, meaning 50% off retail catalog price (though they had to pay 10% service fee).

Not as crazy as it sounds now, depending on the customer's purchasing habits, because retail was stodgy then and plenty of people would get at least some savings from it over time. Still a tough sell, but I closed a few before giving up the ghost. By then the owners had recognized other talents in me, and I became the Accounts Payable Manager at the princely rate of $4.25/hour. Hey, it was 90 cents above minimum wage!

The original proposition was legit, I soon found, in that real customers who had bought memberships would come in and order stuff. They'd pick out $3200 of furniture and write a $1600 check, and their furniture would be shipped to the store, and they'd come pick it up. They were happy enough, the business did what it said, all good.

It took me a while to detect the flaw - because it wasn't in the core business. It was in the execution that the owners had slipped from legitimate creativity into dubious schemes and, eventually, trouble. At first they’d done great in volume of membership sales, raking in cash from memberships. In our rural area, it more than paid the cost of a nice showroom with a little warehouse in the back and couple of clerks. When sales slowed, they hired new people (like me) to beat the bushes, maybe sell a few friends. Then came the fatal brainstorm: financing.

$700 was a lot for a membership, so they arranged a credit line where the customer could just make monthly payments until the $700 was paid off. The owners got $700 up front in commissions and hired a "Finance Manager" to handle the paperwork. The lender got paid over time, everyone happy. Interest was an ungodly 24%, but once the dotted line was signed, who cared?

I think the trouble began when they realized how much money 24% was. Wanting a slice, they started putting out ads in local newspaper of our rural area offering high interest to individuals, so that they could use the borrowed money to finance the contracts. “High” for the individuals might be 10% - a lot better than a savings account, better than bonds even back then, but enough to leave the owners a fat 14% profit. Perhaps a legitimate deal there too. Creative, eh?

By the time I started, they’d fallen behind on paying suppliers, maybe by spending a little too much on motorcycles and flying lessons, which was why I was hired. “Managing” the accounts receivable turned out to mean persuading angry furniture makers to send us the customers’ furniture when we hadn’t paid for the last batch yet! Once I understood, I showed backbone by proposing a deal of my own. “I’ll get us off hold,” I told the owners, “but you have to give me the service fee to use against our back bills.” I didn’t mean me personally, I mean my department got the money to use for catching up. It took a month or two to get the hang of persuading the suppliers and getting actual shipments in, but it worked. Slowly but surely, I was working down the backlog, getting all the orders filled, reducing what we owed. Until I realized nobody was selling memberships any more.

I’d been one of the last people to sell any memberships. A few people tried after me, but failed as quickly as I had, and no else was starting. The owners weren’t selling any either. But in the newspaper, there were ads where they were borrowing money for new contracts. Where was the money going?

I started asking questions to the nice ol’ country lady at the front desk who’d been there for years. Yep, there were people coming in and depositing money for the financing. Little old ladies putting in tens of thousands of dollars sometimes. Were any memberships being sold? Haven’t seen any lately. Well if there’s no sales, how will they pay back the promissory notes to the little old ladies?

“I don’t know,” she replied. “What are you thinking?”

I gulped and finally said, Well, they’re not getting any money from my department because we’re just catching up. I guess someday the service fees would be something, but it doesn’t seem like enough to pay the whole business. Honestly, I think I need to write a letter to the state that they’re taking people’s money and probably can’t pay it back.

“Well, are you gonna write ‘em?”

If they’re able to pay it back, interrupting them would make the whole thing to fall apart, and actually cause them not to pay the little old ladies. Have they gone up and down in sales before, or just gradually sold less and less? Less and less, she said. Well, I probably better write the state. I’ve never done anything like this before, I guess it’ll take a few days.

“Keep me posted,” she said.

Shortly thereafter, the owners began a new sales campaign. Activity buzzed all around. I delayed my letter and told the lady. But then, after a few weeks, they ran out of energy. “I’m gonna have to write,” I finally said. “Keep me posted,” again.

Three days later, having written fifteen pages longhand at home in the evenings but not yet sent the letter, I looked up from my desk to see three huge dudes in blue uniforms at the showroom door. They were state police, and they wanted to see the Treasurer. Shortly thereafter, I arrived at work in the morning to find padlocks on the door. The owners were sentenced to sixteen months in state prison for securities fraud. As I understand it, the promissory notes they gave the individual lenders should have been registered as securities but weren't.

Eventually I realized how the cards collapsed. The clerk lady had told her buddy, the finance manager, that the jig was up. Figuring it was better to report than be one of the people charged, Finance Manager reported to the state. I don’t think the little old ladies were ever paid.
Hmmm, this sounds a bit familiar, but for a slightly different reason. Wasn't part of this scheme that the prices quoted did not include freight? So the customer paid cost +freight, which isn't quite the same as 50% savings?

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #3757 on: April 06, 2021, 03:37:37 PM »

Hmmm, this sounds a bit familiar, but for a slightly different reason. Wasn't part of this scheme that the prices quoted did not include freight? So the customer paid cost +freight, which isn't quite the same as 50% savings?

Freight from manufacturer to our showroom / warehouse was included. So was our labor (including mine) for unloading from the manufacturer's delivery truck into our warehouse, and if requested by the customer, from our warehouse floor onto the customer's pickup truck. We only had one warehouse guy so I helped him load stuff! Customers aka members just paid 10% service fee on the 50% of retail list.

It might sound like something else that did have a freight charge though. Or maybe I mis-explained before somewhere?

Anyway, when I saw the police and the padlock, it seemed epic to me. As did the newspaper story where they were sentenced to actual jail time.

Model96

• Stubble
« Reply #3758 on: April 06, 2021, 05:38:20 PM »
This one doesn’t fit into the typical employee bucks the employer narrative, but there’s still a good-humored FU in here.

We’re represented by a union, but work in a right-to-work/open shop state, so membership typically runs in the 25-35% range. But around contract negotiation time, the union goes on a big membership drive to try to have a better negotiating position (they’re typically able to get it up to 60-70% through the vote, and then it promptly falls back to usual levels until the next negotiation).

So a few years ago during one of those drives, they ask (coworker) to join. He keeps saying no, and eventually throws out that if the recruiter can get (lead, who isn’t at his desk but sits right across the aisle from (coworker)) to join, he’ll join too.

I’m not sure if (lead) is against all unions in general, but he has been fairly vocal about how he sees out union as worthless, so (coworker) had good reason to believe it wouldn’t happen.

So the recruiter comes back when (lead) is around and does his typical pitch, and (lead) of course says no. So then the recruiter mentions that the main reason he’s asking is that (coworker) said he’d join if (lead) did.

And (lead) says “Oh, in that case, sign me up.”

I heard about it later, and in that conversation (lead) said something to the effect of “That’ll teach (coworker) not to try to hide behind others on stuff like that.”

Some sad people and practices at that workplace......

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3759 on: April 07, 2021, 10:44:24 AM »
I have an epic FU story, but I did not have the FU money at the time to back it up, and its something that has come back to bite me in the ass over the years (small field). I still don't care and I'd do it the same way.

I worked for a private medical group that consisted of 11 people, with 5 of them being partners.
*snip*

Okay, I found this a bit hard to follow because I'm not in the medical field, but my OB/GYN office has a similar setup (private medical office that does work AT the hospital, but not FOR the hospital).  So,  I can kinda sorta maybe understand the dynamics here.

I think you absolutely handled it in the best way possible, considering the circumstances.  Fuck 'em.

swashbucklinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3760 on: April 07, 2021, 02:09:39 PM »
It's 1000% them fishing for people who'll feel bad and pick up the slack, not wanting to use political points with other C suites if they don't have to, not $.
I'm baffled by this. Why does it cost anyone political points to fill a staffing need?  Can't someone just say to whoever has the authority, "Swashbucklinstache would be a great fit to lead tasks X, y, and Z, so I propose we offer her $300k and the title Chief Sub-Panjandrum if she will accept those responsibilities"?
You're not wrong, it isn't at all rational. Life and times of a consultancy though at this level. Asking for anything at all from another group, HR to literally do their job in this case, requires a political trade-off. It also requires the C suit to spend 10 consecutive minutes focusing on the division they run instead of how they can get promoted or an extra half percent on their bonus, (or actual more important things, to be fair) which probably explains the 9 month wait time. We bill our time in 6 minute increments and our company #2 starts her day by reviewing yesterday's numbers...

Not a surprise FI is on the mind, nor that more sanely run startups are eating our lunch.
Well, another week goes by. Through three relevant meetings I've heard:
A) separately, HR might make everyone doing your current role equal to your role, even for people doing versions 10% as complicated (roles I groomed them into and gave away 5+ years and 3 promotions ago)
B) in plans and meetings I've heard you're being put down as doing & owning the new roles, with the old people in as backup
C) we just did annual goals so I'm sure taking these roles was in yours
D) has this gone so far that you're just doing this now? I don't think we'll get any backing from (c suit requesting it who oversees these roles) on anything related to this but let me know if you need anything and I can try my best.

I did my boss a favor and let him know that under no circumstances will I be accepting these roles without title and compensation addressed, in line with my latest email from fall 2020, and that if I'm in any meeting where someone describes me as "role X lead" I will be speaking up to correct them regardless of who is in attendance.

Happy Monday everyone.
This one is definitely popcorn-worthy.  I want to know what happens next!
Well, so far today I've heard from the internal client that they really want someone in this role ASAP,  with a response rom my to-be peer that they've seen me put in the role on paper already. The client is politically savvy enough to see what's happening and quickly changed the subject.

Later in the meeting they asked me to follow up with the person currently in the role about getting a name assigned to some task, with organizing such things being a key part of the role.  Current role-ee (-er?) gave an answer essentially indicating they're not considering themselves accountable for getting the answer any longer, indirectly implying that it was up to me. My to-be peer, who is a nice person but sometimes misses the subtlety (see above) IMs me innocently suggesting that, no joke, I might be a good fit for doing that task if we don't have a name.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 02:13:22 PM by swashbucklinstache »

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3761 on: April 07, 2021, 03:07:45 PM »
Well, so far today I've heard from the internal client that they really want someone in this role ASAP,  with a response rom my to-be peer that they've seen me put in the role on paper already. The client is politically savvy enough to see what's happening and quickly changed the subject.

Later in the meeting they asked me to follow up with the person currently in the role about getting a name assigned to some task, with organizing such things being a key part of the role.  Current role-ee (-er?) gave an answer essentially indicating they're not considering themselves accountable for getting the answer any longer, indirectly implying that it was up to me. My to-be peer, who is a nice person but sometimes misses the subtlety (see above) IMs me innocently suggesting that, no joke, I might be a good fit for doing that task if we don't have a name.

I assume/hope your responses have been either silence or 'this is not my responsibility'?

swashbucklinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3762 on: April 07, 2021, 03:50:52 PM »

I assume/hope your responses have been either silence or 'this is not my responsibility'?
Yep. Still developing of course, but silence to the person currently in the role and joking deflecting to the to-be peer, just because they're not politically savvy/important enough to hear the truth honestly and were genuinely trying to be helpful, like a doe in the woods on their first "opening day". I am starting to tire of repeatedly being put in a position where the truth is "no one knows, because my great-grandboss can't answer a simple question in 10 months" to a politically connected internal client of his, who already knows that's the answer but benefits from me being the one to say it out loud. I think I'll let my boss know that tomorrow and re-verbalize that I've bit my tongue for the last time on the matter and he should engage in serious CYA now if he hasn't already. My CYA is a lot of money in the bank and a paper trail for good measure. Of course, I'd make the point politely and professionally or just stop attending meetings, no sense being rash. Unlike this absolute legend: https://www.voiceofsandiego.org/topics/news/city-comptroller-i-said-no-to-filner-credit-card-expenses/

Whitfield said he did not have any problem denying the mayor’s office’s requests. He said the best advice he’s received came from his boss from his first job: Always put some money away so that you have the independence to say no, even to people above you.

“I’ve got a lot of fucking money in the bank,” Whitfield said. “It allows me to sleep at night. It allows me to do my job with a whole lot integrity and not worry about losing it.”

If you ever wonder why your boss doesn't accomplish anything and doesn't "get it" it might be because she/he's dealing with stuff like this all day. Suppose that may well be what's going on in my great-grandboss's world as well in this situation too. At some point though you need to tell your boss to get out of the way because you have decisions to make. Or maybe the great-grandboss doesn't want the role filled by his team at all. Who knows. I don't and I'm also done caring.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 03:54:08 PM by swashbucklinstache »

Blackeagle

• Bristles
« Reply #3763 on: April 07, 2021, 05:01:54 PM »
https://www.voiceofsandiego.org/topics/news/city-comptroller-i-said-no-to-filner-credit-card-expenses/

Whitfield said he did not have any problem denying the mayor’s office’s requests. He said the best advice he’s received came from his boss from his first job: Always put some money away so that you have the independence to say no, even to people above you.

“I’ve got a lot of fucking money in the bank,” Whitfield said. “It allows me to sleep at night. It allows me to do my job with a whole lot integrity and not worry about losing it.”

That’s a pretty epic FU money story!

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3764 on: April 07, 2021, 07:53:34 PM »
Lol, the SD mayor is clearly corrupt, but the Comptroller also sounds like a pain in the ass. Glad he has FU money to enable being a pain in the ass, but he seems like the kind of guy who makes other people wish they had their own FU money.

I work with someone who "questions every expense" for our department. It just gets really old having to explain things like why I used colored paper for a particular batch of copies because she's just stopping by to make sure I know that "colored paper costs more than white paper." Umm, yeah, I'm aware, but I get paid so much that the time I just spent justifying my easily justifiable use of the colored paper for that task last week has now wiped out all of the pennies you "saved" our employer for the entire year with your pettiness. She's also convinced that employees are stealing the dry ice because less get signed out than gets delivered each week. She doesn't understand the concepts of sublimation and thermal energy . . . she wanted to actually install a camera in the area where the dry ice is stored to catch the culprits.

Lol, some day I should submit my resignation letter on colored paper. Pink!

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3765 on: April 08, 2021, 03:57:06 AM »
Lol, the SD mayor is clearly corrupt, but the Comptroller also sounds like a pain in the ass. Glad he has FU money to enable being a pain in the ass, but he seems like the kind of guy who makes other people wish they had their own FU money.

I work with someone who "questions every expense" for our department. It just gets really old having to explain things like why I used colored paper for a particular batch of copies because she's just stopping by to make sure I know that "colored paper costs more than white paper." Umm, yeah, I'm aware, but I get paid so much that the time I just spent justifying my easily justifiable use of the colored paper for that task last week has now wiped out all of the pennies you "saved" our employer for the entire year with your pettiness. She's also convinced that employees are stealing the dry ice because less get signed out than gets delivered each week. She doesn't understand the concepts of sublimation and thermal energy . . . she wanted to actually install a camera in the area where the dry ice is stored to catch the culprits.

What does she think people do with the dry ice? Do a Corona-party every week? What do you do with that stuff privately?

Any yeas, I have seen (and heard a lot) about paper usage tracking. Somehow they never seem to realize that even if they prevent every private printout their wage alone is more expensive. Generally people have the moral thinking that 2 pages a month because it just happend is okay, but not 20 and don't do that at work.

Or the all-time favorite of the genious controller who insisted on thinner toilet paper and was then surprised that people used more. 

swashbucklinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3766 on: April 08, 2021, 06:59:24 AM »

What does she think people do with the dry ice? Do a Corona-party every week? What do you do with that stuff privately?

Any yeas, I have seen (and heard a lot) about paper usage tracking. Somehow they never seem to realize that even if they prevent every private printout their wage alone is more expensive. Generally people have the moral thinking that 2 pages a month because it just happend is okay, but not 20 and don't do that at work.

Or the all-time favorite of the genious controller who insisted on thinner toilet paper and was then surprised that people used more.
The answer to what you do at home with dry ice is always putting dish soap on it and running water over it or doing a ribbon seal like this:
https://youtu.be/tM9mi-5t_Ug

But the penny counter reminds me of when my university finally got rid of the job of going to every dorm and turning on/off the ability to either make or track the time used for long distance phone calls. Paying the department to do that cost much more than just letting everyone use it.

I do think in the SD case it was more 10k handbags, things for around the house, and first class travel upgrades if I recall correctly.

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3767 on: April 08, 2021, 11:08:37 AM »

But the penny counter reminds me of when my university finally got rid of the job of going to every dorm and turning on/off the ability to either make or track the time used for long distance phone calls. Paying the department to do that cost much more than just letting everyone use it.

OMG, yes. One of my first jobs at my university was compiling and "billing" faculty for the faxes they sent out over the departmental machine. It took 20 hours per month to do the billing, and netted probably $50 back to the department's coffers.

When I became manager in a different unit a few years later, I unilaterally stopped the practice of charging for faxes, and became beloved by the faculty, *and* the staff who had been undertaking that task for years.

Malee55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3768 on: April 12, 2021, 09:50:45 PM »
I have never considered having FU money because I have always loved my job (I am a nurse). However I look back at my career and I know that I have not applied for promotion because I did not want the extra stress and did not need more money. The extra money was minute and to me definitely not worth it. Having that option is so worth it.

draco44

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3769 on: April 12, 2021, 09:57:02 PM »
I have never considered having FU money because I have always loved my job (I am a nurse). However I look back at my career and I know that I have not applied for promotion because I did not want the extra stress and did not need more money. The extra money was minute and to me definitely not worth it. Having that option is so worth it.

I like this. It's preemptively saying FU to a job that wouldn't be good for you. The cleanest exit of all.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3770 on: April 18, 2021, 07:26:45 PM »
I am starting to tire of repeatedly being put in a position where the truth is "no one knows, because my great-grandboss can't answer a simple question in 10 months" to a politically connected internal client of his, who already knows that's the answer but benefits from me being the one to say it out loud. I think I'll let my boss know that tomorrow and re-verbalize that I've bit my tongue for the last time on the matter and he should engage in serious CYA now if he hasn't already.

It's been almost two weeks! Anything new? Maybe you're not updating the forum because you're off on a beach somewhere enjoying your FU money ;-)

swashbucklinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3771 on: April 19, 2021, 06:27:11 AM »
I am starting to tire of repeatedly being put in a position where the truth is "no one knows, because my great-grandboss can't answer a simple question in 10 months" to a politically connected internal client of his, who already knows that's the answer but benefits from me being the one to say it out loud. I think I'll let my boss know that tomorrow and re-verbalize that I've bit my tongue for the last time on the matter and he should engage in serious CYA now if he hasn't already.

It's been almost two weeks! Anything new? Maybe you're not updating the forum because you're off on a beach somewhere enjoying your FU money ;-)
Sadly I'm getting 2-3 'requests' a day and didn't want to just spam the thread everyday!

The latest reading between the lines is that I think the great-grandboss is going to declare my boss accountable for these roles to not deal with it. For me that means that since it will then be a direct line up from me, as opposed to now where my "uncle" is accountable, it is more of a "reassignment" than a "we're interested in you taking on this stretch role if you're interested" deal. That should mean it is a little harder to say FU to my immediate boss than the faceless C suit, and doubly so because I'm senior enough in a fluid enough industry that this isn't really an inappropriate/uncommon sort of thing. (Consulting job descriptions are basically "get it done, level appropriately").

I proactively nipped that in the bud with my boss and made it clear that I do not care who is accountable for the role, my questions still stand. In the meantime I continue to take on the pieces that are interesting to me and either ignore, say no to, or do the others as slowly as possible.

The bigger piece is that, unfortunately, my main project work ends 6/30. We're a billable industry where you eat what you kill and I don't yet have anything lined up. So the closer we creep to that day the closer we get to me not really being able to say no, because I'd then be saying "instead of doing this role I would prefer to instead do nothing and still get paid for it." So I'm talking with my boss this week to try to find other project opportunities. If I get defaulted into the role I will still push for $$ up front and will make it very clear that I'm unhappy with being backdoored into things if we get there. It sucks, because this is a role that could be fun (strategy and process creation) and have outsized returns (growth) if a happy and motivated employee does it and "kept the lights on" returns if they're not.

I've also spent the weekend getting my resume in shape. My industry, tech/data, is on fire right now. I could credibly apply to senior individual contributor roles at better companies, senior analytics or product manager roles at peer companies, or associate/director of analytics positions at smaller companies. I got pinged last week by a big tech recruiter for a data science position that would double my total comp. We're talking this week. I'm not competitive really and they hand out interviews like candy but you only need one to say yes...

For context, I'm at 835k which is a 2.9% WR for my current expenses (24k avg. the last 8 years). My FIRE plans are atypical though, as they're either "I have no idea, I'm only 32, let's not lock us in to < 40k a year before life events" or "spend a few years AirBnbing in city centers where housing alone takes you to 4.5% WR, plus some seed money gifted for others' retirement, so maybe 1.3-1.6mm?" I'm saving 115k a year, so it would be ideal if this company would just stay reasonable for the next 1-3 years...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 06:29:59 AM by swashbucklinstache »

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3772 on: April 19, 2021, 07:49:51 AM »
...I'm saving 115k a year, so it would be ideal if this company would just stay reasonable for the next 1-3 years...

That, right there, is the hard part about being so close to full Financial Independance when you're young. In my experience, the devil you know is often worse than the devil you don't - since you can vet for and negotiate against the things you don't like. I say, keep interviewing and looking at the options that are out there. No reason to be unhappy and forced into something you shouldn't be doing.

You aren't simply a cog to be moved around at your boss' (or boss' boss') desires. You are hired to fulfill a role and you enjoy it. More, you're willing to make the move and provide meaningfully higher ROI to your company. There is, quite honestly, no reason for them to force you into this without more pay.

And if you really do like it, then maybe showing them an offer from another company will be enough for them to write the check for your transition.

swashbucklinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3773 on: April 19, 2021, 09:27:32 AM »
...I'm saving 115k a year, so it would be ideal if this company would just stay reasonable for the next 1-3 years...

That, right there, is the hard part about being so close to full Financial Independance when you're young. In my experience, the devil you know is often worse than the devil you don't - since you can vet for and negotiate against the things you don't like. I say, keep interviewing and looking at the options that are out there. No reason to be unhappy and forced into something you shouldn't be doing.

You aren't simply a cog to be moved around at your boss' (or boss' boss') desires. You are hired to fulfill a role and you enjoy it. More, you're willing to make the move and provide meaningfully higher ROI to your company. There is, quite honestly, no reason for them to force you into this without more pay.

And if you really do like it, then maybe showing them an offer from another company will be enough for them to write the check for your transition.
Yep, exactly this. The company is essentially totally recession proof as well, and a lot of my value is accrued middle management company-specific knowledge. Even more, if I say no to these roles it will kill career progression here but it's very unlikely there'd be any further consequence. So I'm looking, but the deal would have to be sweet to jump. As little as another year or two could totally remove $ from the equation.

elysianfields

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3774 on: April 19, 2021, 09:16:45 PM »
Another bonus of being a Mustachian and ex-Boglehead is that at my current employer, I complained about our crappy 401k. The owners told me to write up a paper showing proof, which convinced them. Ended up moving the 401k to Guideline, reducing employer fees/costs by 77%.

That is the bomb, @jinga nation , way to implement a win-win!

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3775 on: April 20, 2021, 11:44:46 AM »
I have to wait for the lawsuits to settle before I give any details, but I never thought I'd have a story for this thread.   It's not in my nature to burn bridges on the way out, but the company fired the first salvo.   And it may not be 'epic', but having FU money has certainly given me the safety net to do what is right for my health.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3776 on: April 20, 2021, 11:47:16 AM »
I have to wait for the lawsuits to settle before I give any details, but I never thought I'd have a story for this thread.   It's not in my nature to burn bridges on the way out, but the company fired the first salvo.   And it may not be 'epic', but having FU money has certainly given me the safety net to do what is right for my health.

I don't know how it can fail to be epic with lawsuits involved.  Can't wait to hear it.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #3777 on: April 20, 2021, 12:47:57 PM »

I don't know how it can fail to be epic with lawsuits involved.  Can't wait to hear it.

+1. Best of luck bluebelle, and please do keep us posted!

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3778 on: April 20, 2021, 02:03:45 PM »
If I pop my popcorn now will it be stale by the time the story drops? Can’t wait!

Blackeagle

• Bristles
« Reply #3779 on: April 20, 2021, 04:51:16 PM »

Congrats bluebelle. Looking forward to hearing the story when you can tell it.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3780 on: April 21, 2021, 03:37:28 AM »

And it looks like bluebelle is Canadian. We hardly ever sue each other and are not known to be a particularly litigious society. Now my curiosity really is piqued.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3781 on: May 05, 2021, 03:03:48 PM »
This story made me think of this thread.  https://www.bbc.com/news/business-56977650

In a nutshell, a cleaner in a bank in the UK quit and retired after being verbally abused by one of the bankers.  She left a note telling them that she had quit because of the verbal abuse and advising them to be kinder which her son posted online.  Good for her!

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3782 on: May 06, 2021, 03:27:40 AM »
This story made me think of this thread.  https://www.bbc.com/news/business-56977650

In a nutshell, a cleaner in a bank in the UK quit and retired after being verbally abused by one of the bankers.  She left a note telling them that she had quit because of the verbal abuse and advising them to be kinder which her son posted online.  Good for her!

Thanks for sharing this.  The note is totally right - we are ALL no better than the cleaner.  Some people need to have their attitudes checked.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3783 on: May 06, 2021, 10:30:32 AM »
I was going through our local international airport last month. I was struck again by how clean the bathroom was - they are always clean! I scanned the QR code and left a compliment and thank you on the complaint form. This makes me glad I did!

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3784 on: May 07, 2021, 03:38:43 AM »

Thanks for sharing this.  The note is totally right - we are ALL no better than the cleaner.  Some people need to have their attitudes checked.

Agreed 100%

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3785 on: May 07, 2021, 06:59:33 AM »
I was going through our local international airport last month. I was struck again by how clean the bathroom was - they are always clean! I scanned the QR code and left a compliment and thank you on the complaint form. This makes me glad I did!

Yeah, a lot of airport bathrooms have the Smile/frown thing (or they did pre-COVID). If the bathroom was clean, I always hit the smile.

Bloop Bloop Reloaded

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3786 on: May 08, 2021, 03:53:42 AM »
Settlements usually have a non-disparagement clause so you have to be careful what you say.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #3787 on: May 08, 2021, 06:42:58 AM »
Settlements usually have a non-disparagement clause so you have to be careful what you say.

Here's hoping that our anonymous forum provides just enough wiggle room for the story to be told!

In the spirit of Dickens, character names can be expressive, even while in our forum, they obscure identities. Soon we will learn the secret tale behind this generation's Jarndyce v Jarndyce. Right???

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3788 on: May 09, 2021, 01:24:26 PM »

Here's hoping that our anonymous forum provides just enough wiggle room for the story to be told!

In the spirit of Dickens, character names can be expressive, even while in our forum, they obscure identities. Soon we will learn the secret tale behind this generation's Jarndyce v Jarndyce. Right???
Well, that was an interesting rabbit hole. Thanks!

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3789 on: May 13, 2021, 07:40:38 AM »
I have declined two pointless meetings this week without giving a reason. No one has asked so far.
I got a promotion so I figure my company likes me enough that I could push harder against useless meetings. I'm on two projects where the project manager likes to hold meetings twice a week to "touch base" (ugh). I'm fine with once a week but apparently I'm supposed to be grateful its not like some other projects where they meet every day... I rarely have much to contribute to these meetings and almost everything could be handled with a few e-mails anyway.

So this week I declined two recurring meetings with barely any justification, all four meetings next week (vacation), and the first two meetings the week after that (no justification at all). That was on Monday and the project manager hasn't said a thing. In fact, he ended up cancelling the other two meetings this week so it looks like I'll be able to avoid ten meetings in a row!

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3790 on: May 13, 2021, 06:34:53 PM »
Bravo, @RWD!

pdxvandal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3791 on: May 14, 2021, 10:48:22 AM »
Nice work @RWD! Behold, the power of FU money. Unfortunately, I took a meeting at 4 p.m. yesterday on a gorgeous sunny day, however, no one knew I already got my Vitamin D that afternoon by playing 9 holes of "medical appointment" golf. Just starting to dip my toes into FIRE life, but hope to officially be there 12-18 months from now.

lutorm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3792 on: May 26, 2021, 12:49:34 AM »
So this week I declined two recurring meetings with barely any justification, all four meetings next week (vacation), and the first two meetings the week after that (no justification at all). That was on Monday and the project manager hasn't said a thing. In fact, he ended up cancelling the other two meetings this week so it looks like I'll be able to avoid ten meetings in a row!
The CEO of our company regularly sends out emails to the effect of "if you're in a meeting that you don't feel is worth your time, you have my personal permission to walk out". ;-)

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3793 on: May 26, 2021, 10:46:18 AM »
The CEO of our company regularly sends out emails to the effect of "if you're in a meeting that you don't feel is worth your time, you have my personal permission to walk out". ;-)

And does it work? Do people at your company regularly walk out of unproductive meetings? Or are your company's meetings generally productive?

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3794 on: May 26, 2021, 11:28:20 AM »
One firm here in the UK was reputed to have a "money" clock in its meeting rooms - everyone at the meeting had to put in their hourly rate when they entered the room and the clock totted up the cost of the meeting for as long as it continued, as an incentive to finish.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3795 on: May 26, 2021, 12:51:43 PM »
One firm here in the UK was reputed to have a "money" clock in its meeting rooms - everyone at the meeting had to put in their hourly rate when they entered the room and the clock totted up the cost of the meeting for as long as it continued, as an incentive to finish.
That is absolutely brilliant!

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3796 on: May 26, 2021, 01:52:04 PM »
That is absolutely brilliant!

Brilliant or a way to be penny wise pound foolish.... 

But my employer could legitimately be accused of having to few meetings.  (yes that can actually be a thing.)

Tinker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3797 on: May 26, 2021, 02:24:53 PM »
you could see that as an incentive to finish... or an incentive to keep watching that tick up while you do next to nothing.
In all seriousness, most meetings should be emails. And most emails shouldn't exist.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3798 on: May 26, 2021, 02:32:22 PM »
you could see that as an incentive to finish... or an incentive to keep watching that tick up while you do next to nothing.
In all seriousness, most meetings should be emails. And most emails shouldn't exist.
To be fair, this was BE (Before Email).

It's a wonder we survived at all.

lutorm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3799 on: May 26, 2021, 02:48:35 PM »

And does it work? Do people at your company regularly walk out of unproductive meetings? Or are your company's meetings generally productive?
I think it sort of does, it does lead to a strong company-wide awareness that meetings aren't free, and unless people are directly asked to attend a meeting I think there's no pushback if you don't. The principle applies more strongly to large meetings, if you have a one on one with your manager and you walk out, I doubt that would be appreciated... ;-)