Author Topic: Race from $2M to $4M...and Beyond!  (Read 1270005 times)

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
Re: Race from $2M to $3M.....and beyond!
« Reply #1600 on: September 08, 2019, 05:07:13 AM »
The good news from the government perspective is that the interest rate on a 10 year Treasury bond is 1.5%

Tidbit - The Authors of "Your Money Or Your Life," used T Bills for their income.  Their return was 12% in an inflationary time.

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/12/18/your-money-or-your-life/

Oh let there be no doubt that 1.5% nominal (who knows what that is for you 'real', since inflation is personal, especially depending on your healthcare, college education, and credit needs) sucks.  I'd be much more comfortable with 12% nominal and figuring out my own inflation impact.

You bring up a really good point, so I bolded it.  Hearing some inflation number at xyz% can be useful or it could be meaningless.  What makes up that number?  Do you buy the things that make it up?  Perhaps the median price of a new house is in that number.  Ok....but for someone not buying a house, who cares?  Maybe cars jumped 30% because the volcano of Automobile-land blew its stack, shutting down supply.  If you don't expect to buy a car for 10 years....again....who cares?  It will matter if you're looking for a bank/CD/HYSA kinda account to park money and the rate goes down.

I guess just some food for thought.
this is an important part - when they post the inflation number it's comprised of all things....I think I read somewhere that groceries have gone up something like 10%....but my monthly average is around the same from last year to this, so either I don't buy the things that have gone up the most, or I've gotten good at shopping the sales (probably a combo of the two).

I've found this to be true as well. Very large part of this is shipping costs have gone through the roof. Between the continuous cost of emission restrictions, driver shortages and now computerized logs its getting harder and harder for Trucking companies to run. I was in the business for nearly 30 years before I Fire'd and almost everyone I meet from the industry tells me I got out just in time.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1601 on: September 08, 2019, 12:21:02 PM »
Headed to the Smoky Mountains in a few hours.  Driving through the night and will spend the day tomorrow relaxing at the Fontana Dam Shelter / Village.   Tuesday I start my seven day hike north to Interstate 40.   Will I decide to FIRE somewhere on the AT and just keep going?   Maybe.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1602 on: September 08, 2019, 02:01:19 PM »
Have a wonderful hike!

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #1603 on: September 08, 2019, 02:53:58 PM »
Nice..:)

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1604 on: September 08, 2019, 06:01:37 PM »
After the hike take a look at Bill Bryson's book, "A Walk In The Woods."  You may be able to relate to it or at least laugh.

So, so many things to look forward to when you FIRE. 

When I was a kid, I believe retirement was explained to me as what you do when you are no longer able to work.  I guess this was taught by the same folks that taught me about trickle down economics and that dog mouths are cleaner than human mouths.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1605 on: September 08, 2019, 06:25:53 PM »
After the hike take a look at Bill Bryson's book, "A Walk In The Woods."  You may be able to relate to it or at least laugh.

When I was a kid, I believe retirement was explained to me as what you do when you are no longer able to work.  I guess this was taught by the same folks that taught me about trickle down economics and that dog mouths are cleaner than human mouths.

I've read the book and watched the movie.  Very humorous and not all fiction.  I do hope to complete the whole 2175 miles or so in sections.  The Smokies are the only southern section I can do in cool temperatures right now.  I hope to have everything from the Smokies south completed by years end.  I've already done a bit.  There is also the Pinhoti Trail that I need to complete this winter.  There is one new Alabama section and the final Georgia section I'll need to finish it.

This hike is to jumpstart my bikepacking.  I've got a mountain bike all ready for offroad adventures.  I hope to do some trips as soon as cooler weather comes to the south.  I've got big plans for a 2,700 miles Canada to Mexico off-road bikepacking trip in 2021.  FIRE is coming.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #1606 on: September 09, 2019, 05:38:42 AM »

I've read the book and watched the movie.  Very humorous and not all fiction.  I do hope to complete the whole 2175 miles or so in sections.  The Smokies are the only southern section I can do in cool temperatures right now.  I hope to have everything from the Smokies south completed by years end.  I've already done a bit.  There is also the Pinhoti Trail that I need to complete this winter.  There is one new Alabama section and the final Georgia section I'll need to finish it.

This hike is to jumpstart my bikepacking.  I've got a mountain bike all ready for offroad adventures.  I hope to do some trips as soon as cooler weather comes to the south.  I've got big plans for a 2,700 miles Canada to Mexico off-road bikepacking trip in 2021.  FIRE is coming.

Second that... I didnt read the book but saw the movie was pretty good.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1607 on: September 09, 2019, 06:02:49 AM »
I've got big plans for a 2,700 miles Canada to Mexico off-road bikepacking trip in 2021.  FIRE is coming.

Can you share any more info about this?

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1608 on: September 13, 2019, 06:47:53 PM »
Ok.   So, I only hiked half the Smoky Mountains.   I did however climb from the low point at Fontana Dam all the way to the highest point of the AT.  I did 40 miles, about 30 miles in my boots blew out.  Duct tape lasted a few more miles.  The soles delaminated and once they were gone every rock was an ouchy.  Hitched a ride with some nice young Missouri people to Gatlinburg.   They dropped me at the NOC outdoor center where I was given a shower and offered ery reasonable shuttle service back to my car.  It was hot out there.  I was expecting much cooler temps.  I over- packed as usual and the heavy burden only added to the misery of the heat.   Looks like next May I'll try and finish the second half.  I have some other AT sections that I want to do to complete from the Smokies south.  Soon cooler temp s will come and hopefully I get in some multiday bike packing trips.  The heat suppressed my hunger and sweated off a good many pounds.  Overall a successful trip even though I didn't hit my planned mileage.  I'm wearing new boots from the NOC and have a full belly from a steak dinner.  Didn't have cell service for four days.  No checking the market or worries. Brand new personal high point says mint.  Life is good.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1609 on: September 13, 2019, 10:52:50 PM »
-SNIP-  Life is good.

Yeh!  Hiking is one of the thngs to look forward too.

snowdog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1610 on: September 14, 2019, 05:37:39 AM »
Passed $2.8M this week.  Yay!

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1611 on: September 14, 2019, 07:14:06 AM »
Passed $2.8M this week.  Yay!
Congrats! What is the goal? Or are you already FI?

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #1612 on: September 15, 2019, 06:30:05 AM »
Ok.   So, I only hiked half the Smoky Mountains.   I did however climb from the low point at Fontana Dam all the way to the highest point of the AT.  I did 40 miles, about 30 miles in my boots blew out.  Duct tape lasted a few more miles.  The soles delaminated and once they were gone every rock was an ouchy.  Hitched a ride with some nice young Missouri people to Gatlinburg.   They dropped me at the NOC outdoor center where I was given a shower and offered ery reasonable shuttle service back to my car.  It was hot out there.  I was expecting much cooler temps.  I over- packed as usual and the heavy burden only added to the misery of the heat.   Looks like next May I'll try and finish the second half.  I have some other AT sections that I want to do to complete from the Smokies south.  Soon cooler temp s will come and hopefully I get in some multiday bike packing trips.  The heat suppressed my hunger and sweated off a good many pounds.  Overall a successful trip even though I didn't hit my planned mileage.  I'm wearing new boots from the NOC and have a full belly from a steak dinner.  Didn't have cell service for four days.  No checking the market or worries. Brand new personal high point says mint.  Life is good.

Thats awesome. Can you share start and stop point, how long it took you and whatever else. I am really interested.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1613 on: September 15, 2019, 09:58:45 AM »
DH is putting 50% of his salary into his 401k for the rest of the year to max it out*. It's fun to watch our account balances grow. Typically, we're not adding so much and the total only rises and falls with the market. I'd kind of forgotten how that feels. We keep reaching new highs, even if the market isn't doing much of anything.

*DH has a Defined Benefit Pension,  so we typically only put 10% into his 401k. There is no matching, and we have already hit our number. We just had a big gain on a flip, and the taxman's bite is going to hurt, hence the diversion of income into the 401k.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1614 on: September 15, 2019, 10:51:19 AM »
Good strategy @Dicey.

Of course whether you invest pre tax or not your NW still rises if you are not spending the income. It just rises faster if you are not paying tax on the money.. At least on paper it does..:)

Actually I should add out NW, we must be close to an all time high even with riding the market + dividends.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1615 on: September 15, 2019, 04:05:04 PM »

Thats awesome. Can you share start and stop point, how long it took you and whatever else. I am really interested.

Sure.  I started at the Fontana Dam Shelter, trail mile 165.   I drove up and spent the night there Monday.   I toured the Fontana Dam and prepared for my hike.  The shelter there has full bathrooms complete with hot showers!   The shelter, being the off season was empty besides me.  It sleeps up to 24 with an awesome lake view.  Tuesday morning I began my hike crossing the Dam at trail 166.  Elevation 1700 feet above sea level, the lowest of my hike.  Looking up from the dam you can spot Shuckstack firetower on the high ridge above. I entered the Great Smokey Mountains NP just past the dam, trail mile 167.  Soon I scrambled up the ridge to the Shuckstack Firetower at 3890 feet elevation and trail mile 171.  I climbed the tower for views and pics.  It's not for those fearful of heights. It was time to go and my next stop would be for water for the night and next day at Ekaneetlee Gap, trail mile 176 and elevation 3842 feet.  Soon I was moving on towards my shelter for night one, Mollies Ridge Shelter, trail mile 177 and elevation 4586 feet.  Unfortunately in late summer the water source for Mollies Ridge was dry.  Day one 12 miles hiked and lots of elevation change.  Day two I bypassed Russell Field Shelter trail mile 180 and had a lunch stop at Spence Field Shelter trail mile 183 and elevation 4916 feet.   Soon I'd climb Thunderhead Mountain at trail mile 185 and elevation 5527 feet.  My sleep stop for night two would be Derrick Knob Shelter trail mile 189 and elevation 4882 feet.  Luckily there was a cold spring just below the shelter with excellent water.  Day three I was feeling the heat wave and wishing I'd hiked in October.   I hiked only 6 miles, to Silers Bald Shelter trail mile 189 and elevation 5453 feet.  There was another excellent cold spring just below the shelter.   Day 4, I set off to hike to the highest mountain on the AT at trail mile 200 and elevation 6667 feet.  Clingmans Dome was nice and cool with a bit of rain.  Tourists were grabbing rain gear and umbrellas, I was still sweating.   My boots being held with duct tape were busted and I bypassed my shelter for the night at Mount Collins Trail mile 203 and elevation 5962.  At Newfound Gap trail mile 207 and elevation 5045 feet I ended my hike.  I caught a ride with some nice young people to Gatlinburg on US Highway 441.  Still a successful hike and the northern half of the Smokies is being planned for May 2021.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 04:56:47 PM by Bateaux »

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1616 on: September 15, 2019, 07:26:42 PM »
That reduced air pressure thing at heights can cause troubles with the body including sweating.

https://phc.amedd.army.mil/topics/discond/ai/Pages/Altitude-Effects-on-the-Human-Body.aspx

I got a nasty headache a few years back when hiking at Mt. Rainier.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1617 on: September 16, 2019, 07:33:29 AM »
You drank water out of a cold spring out in nature ?

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1618 on: September 16, 2019, 09:13:49 AM »
You drank water out of a cold spring out in nature ?

Yep.  I did run it through a 0.10 micron Sawyer Squeeze filter first.  The mountains work like a huge water tank.  Last seasons snowmelt, as well as cold rain are insulated and isolated from the surface in the rocky, sandy strata.  It slowly percolates out through cold springs.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 09:16:40 AM by Bateaux »

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1619 on: September 16, 2019, 01:12:36 PM »
Wow !

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #1620 on: September 26, 2019, 03:32:13 PM »

Sure.  I started at the Fontana Dam Shelter, trail mile 165.   I drove up and spent the night there Monday.   I toured the Fontana Dam and prepared for my hike.  The shelter there has full bathrooms complete with hot showers!   The shelter, being the off season was empty besides me.  It sleeps up to 24 with an awesome lake view.  Tuesday morning I began my hike crossing the Dam at trail 166.  Elevation 1700 feet above sea level, the lowest of my hike.  Looking up from the dam you can spot Shuckstack firetower on the high ridge above. I entered the Great Smokey Mountains NP just past the dam, trail mile 167.  Soon I scrambled up the ridge to the Shuckstack Firetower at 3890 feet elevation and trail mile 171.  I climbed the tower for views and pics.  It's not for those fearful of heights. It was time to go and my next stop would be for water for the night and next day at Ekaneetlee Gap, trail mile 176 and elevation 3842 feet.  Soon I was moving on towards my shelter for night one, Mollies Ridge Shelter, trail mile 177 and elevation 4586 feet.  Unfortunately in late summer the water source for Mollies Ridge was dry.  Day one 12 miles hiked and lots of elevation change.  Day two I bypassed Russell Field Shelter trail mile 180 and had a lunch stop at Spence Field Shelter trail mile 183 and elevation 4916 feet.   Soon I'd climb Thunderhead Mountain at trail mile 185 and elevation 5527 feet.  My sleep stop for night two would be Derrick Knob Shelter trail mile 189 and elevation 4882 feet.  Luckily there was a cold spring just below the shelter with excellent water.  Day three I was feeling the heat wave and wishing I'd hiked in October.   I hiked only 6 miles, to Silers Bald Shelter trail mile 189 and elevation 5453 feet.  There was another excellent cold spring just below the shelter.   Day 4, I set off to hike to the highest mountain on the AT at trail mile 200 and elevation 6667 feet.  Clingmans Dome was nice and cool with a bit of rain.  Tourists were grabbing rain gear and umbrellas, I was still sweating.   My boots being held with duct tape were busted and I bypassed my shelter for the night at Mount Collins Trail mile 203 and elevation 5962.  At Newfound Gap trail mile 207 and elevation 5045 feet I ended my hike.  I caught a ride with some nice young people to Gatlinburg on US Highway 441.  Still a successful hike and the northern half of the Smokies is being planned for May 2021.

Really cool!! Sooo wanting to do this!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1621 on: September 26, 2019, 10:46:14 PM »
Wow! Ten days of radio silence on this thread. Weird. What are y'all up to?

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1622 on: September 26, 2019, 10:56:56 PM »

Put in 72 hours at work since my vacation.  It's been awesome at work recently.   If I can keep recharged with vacations, I may never quit.  Trying to motivate myself to take the sailboat out this weekend.

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1623 on: September 27, 2019, 01:41:31 AM »

Well I’ve been in Serbia working with a NGO a little bit, and have been globetrotting with work. All rather exhausting.

I am really having trouble with the whole “how much is enough” thing.

DW wants to move back to Australia, which I had agreed to and had planned to FIRE.

Now I’m getting greedy...... aaarrrggghhhh.... contemplating FIRE is emotionally draining.

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1624 on: September 27, 2019, 09:33:18 AM »

Hah! Was just going to post an update. My startup gig is proving to be a lot of fun. We are located in a co-working space in Brooklyn shared by a number of startups including the one I am helping. Not WeWork I might add :-).

I'm by far one of the oldest people here. Some of the kids here are about my older daughter's age. Its a lot of fun listening to the conversations between the twenty-somethings working here. Thankfully, I don't have to go into the office every day - typically only twice a week so the commute is quite tolerable.

Even though the work is fun and I'm being paid a ridiculous amount, I think I will really done with the idea of work in general by next year.

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1625 on: September 27, 2019, 11:54:12 AM »
I'm still here. Chugging away. Turns out that they weren't really trying to phase me out as I suspected. I was offered a CFO opportunity at the current employer. I was really tempted. But after thinking about it for awhile, I found a way to politely decline without giving away that I'm planning to quit in 8 months. So FIRE in May is still the plan. Still scary though.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1626 on: October 03, 2019, 03:51:33 AM »
Wow.  The market and thus my own portfolio has taken heavy losses.  Probably just the beginning of the next rollercoaster.   I wouldn't doubt to see my own accounts at least temporarily take a sub 2M dip again.
 Psychologically it will help drag my carcass into to work.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 03:53:25 AM by Bateaux »

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1627 on: October 03, 2019, 10:07:38 AM »
I'm still here. Chugging away. Turns out that they weren't really trying to phase me out as I suspected. I was offered a CFO opportunity at the current employer. I was really tempted. But after thinking about it for awhile, I found a way to politely decline without giving away that I'm planning to quit in 8 months. So FIRE in May is still the plan. Still scary though.

Supercool from both angles, Bean

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1628 on: October 03, 2019, 07:49:47 PM »
I'm finding myself increasingly challenged to stay motivated at work.  There is a lot to be proud of, but the BS level continues to increase.  Having enough to FIRE makes it hard to put up with, but I really want to Fat FIRE.  As much as I admire the concept, I'm really not very mustachian in a lot of ways.

How are others dealing with this?  I know @Bateaux seems to be in a similar boat, and maybe BeanCounter, too.  Are you still working for the financial security?  For the ego?  For the social connections?  Out of habit?  How do you know when enough is enough?

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1629 on: October 03, 2019, 08:02:58 PM »

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1630 on: October 03, 2019, 09:28:00 PM »
I'm finding myself increasingly challenged to stay motivated at work.  There is a lot to be proud of, but the BS level continues to increase.  Having enough to FIRE makes it hard to put up with, but I really want to Fat FIRE.  As much as I admire the concept, I'm really not very mustachian in a lot of ways.

How are others dealing with this?  I know @Bateaux seems to be in a similar boat, and maybe BeanCounter, too.  Are you still working for the financial security?  For the ego?  For the social connections?  Out of habit?  How do you know when enough is enough?

I quit back in '14 and was moderately "slightly porky" fired, then did a couple f contract gigs (mostly ego, but it was fun work too), but honestly I became fat FIRED* due to market gains alone.

*Some would argue my 1.5% WR rate last year (which should actually reduce as pensions kick in makes me "extremely obese" FIRED..

nancyfrank232

• Stubble
Race from $2M to $3M.....and beyond!
« Reply #1631 on: October 03, 2019, 09:28:53 PM »

So I am interested in stories from others and their plans going forward.

As someone who is in their 40s with $5m NW, the following is a link to my experiences Fat FIREing. In short, I already know that I have enough and FIRE taught me a bit about myself that I wouldn’t have learned otherwise

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f26/hello-from-canada-99808.html
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 09:30:55 PM by nancyfrank232 »

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1632 on: October 03, 2019, 09:37:41 PM »
This should help, @Taran Wanderer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqhmZmE1YjQ

After watching that one, I automatically rolled in to this one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddek3gQVt9Y which I liked even more!

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1633 on: October 03, 2019, 10:11:23 PM »

As someone who is in their 40s with $5m NW, the following is a link to my experiences Fat FIREing. In short, I already know that I have enough and FIRE taught me a bit about myself that I wouldn’t have learned otherwise

Thanks for sharing Nancy!  I've met folks that retired and then returned to the workforce after the initial excitement wore off.  They didn't need money, or maybe wanted a specific frivolous thing like a vacation home or RV, but other than in this forum, it's not a sin to go after what you think will be most fulfilling.  It's not like 'what is the meaning of life' has an answer.  It was very interesting to hear more about what you learned about yourself in ER! 

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #1634 on: October 04, 2019, 04:21:30 AM »

Thanks for sharing Nancy!  I've met folks that retired and then returned to the workforce after the initial excitement wore off.  They didn't need money, or maybe wanted a specific frivolous thing like a vacation home or RV, but other than in this forum, it's not a sin to go after what you think will be most fulfilling.  It's not like 'what is the meaning of life' has an answer.  It was very interesting to hear more about what you learned about yourself in ER!

I agree +1 with Escape..... Alot of what you wrote I can relate with feeling at times and appreciate your honesty!

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1635 on: October 04, 2019, 06:24:04 AM »

My situation was quite similar to yours. But earlier this year, mostly thanks to the encouragement from this group, I walked away from a (really) well-paying but soul-sucking job at a megacorp. I will always be thankful to @lhamo for questioning me - something on the lines of  "then why are you still working?"

I am currently helping out a tech startup and really enjoying myself. I get to work a group of smart people in a hot field. I know for sure I'll be done for good by this time next year. I think of this gig as a half-way house to get myself completely out of the rat race.

Mmm_Donuts

• Bristles
« Reply #1636 on: October 04, 2019, 06:43:13 AM »
I know @Bateaux seems to be in a similar boat

*snicker*

Sorry. Couldn't help it.

In seriousness - I can relate. Every little irritation of a political nature makes me want to march in to my manager's office and quit. We have FU$ but have not hit our number yet so for now I am restraining myself. So far, for now.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1637 on: October 04, 2019, 06:58:01 AM »
This should help, @Taran Wanderer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqhmZmE1YjQ

After watching that one, I automatically rolled in to this one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddek3gQVt9Y which I liked even more!
I watched the first one, which was quite good. When I opened the second one, I decided I was too tired to get through it. I paused it, minimized the screen so I could find it easily in the morning, and went to bed. In the middle of the night, I woke up to a woman's voice speaking loudly about fertility treatments. WTF? I went to the computer, but the screen was locked. Worse, it wanted my husband's password! Ack! I know it, but recalling to at 1:30 am was tricky. My brain kept shouting shut up, shut UP! to the woman talking about fertility injections and treatment protocol. Of course, DH slept through the whole thing. I'm guessing she was only telling the back story...

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1638 on: October 04, 2019, 08:20:23 AM »

My OMYx2 (or 3) started out as being driven by additional financial security. We still have elementary aged kids. We need health insurance and the price of that for a family of four is no joke. The kids are in private school and do various expensive activities that I am unwilling to say no to (band, Taekwondo, scouts etc) So when we hit our first $1M it didn't seem like enough. And though I put up a lot of BS at work, I'm highly compensated for the effort I put in. So it seemed prudent to stay. But shortly after we hit $1M invested, my last parent died. I am an only child. This more than doubled our net worth. But more than anything my mothers death put me into a bit of an existential crisis. So I continued to work just for the routine of it, the normalcy. For the security of having to get up and march myself into the office. It's been almost two years and I've spent the last year rebuilding a cash reserve from a home remodel we did and trying to figure out what exactly I want to do with myself if I quit. And how I feel about the risk of leaving.
This thread actually helped me the most with the anxiety about the risk of leaving my career. These internet friends helped me to see that it's very likely we will be just fine, but if we are ok with being flexible we can make anything work.
As for the what to do with myself when I leave. Much of that is around ego. I want to stay home with my kids and enjoy the rest of their years at home, relaxed and available. But I've also never seen myself as a SAHM. And what will I do while they are in school all day? What if I want to return to my career after they go to college? I think the answer to this is to continue some part time work. Preferably working for myself. I have been starting to explore looking for clients that need a "part time CFO/controller".
Anyway as I've slowly figured this stuff out it really has decreased my tolerance for work politics and BS. And when you're 41 with $2.5M of invested assets, having watched both of your parents die young- WORK REALLY SEEMS MEANINGLESS. But that doesn't change the feelings around walking away. It will be hard. But I'm still sticking to the plan for May. And I do think I need to find some part time work for myself. We will see how that works out.
Best of luck @Taran Wanderer. Know that ALL of your feelings around FIRE are very valid and others feel it too. I think it's good to keep posting about it as it does help you and others to work through it.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 08:22:12 AM by BeanCounter »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1639 on: October 04, 2019, 08:28:52 AM »
I suspect it won't be nearly as hard as you're anticipating...

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1640 on: October 04, 2019, 11:16:23 AM »

My OMYx2 (or 3) started out as being driven by additional financial security. We still have elementary aged kids. We need health insurance and the price of that for a family of four is no joke. The kids are in private school and do various expensive activities that I am unwilling to say no to (band, Taekwondo, scouts etc) So when we hit our first $1M it didn't seem like enough. And though I put up a lot of BS at work, I'm highly compensated for the effort I put in. So it seemed prudent to stay. But shortly after we hit $1M invested, my last parent died. I am an only child. This more than doubled our net worth. But more than anything my mothers death put me into a bit of an existential crisis. So I continued to work just for the routine of it, the normalcy. For the security of having to get up and march myself into the office. It's been almost two years and I've spent the last year rebuilding a cash reserve from a home remodel we did and trying to figure out what exactly I want to do with myself if I quit. And how I feel about the risk of leaving.
This thread actually helped me the most with the anxiety about the risk of leaving my career. These internet friends helped me to see that it's very likely we will be just fine, but if we are ok with being flexible we can make anything work.
As for the what to do with myself when I leave. Much of that is around ego. I want to stay home with my kids and enjoy the rest of their years at home, relaxed and available. But I've also never seen myself as a SAHM. And what will I do while they are in school all day? What if I want to return to my career after they go to college? I think the answer to this is to continue some part time work. Preferably working for myself. I have been starting to explore looking for clients that need a "part time CFO/controller".
Anyway as I've slowly figured this stuff out it really has decreased my tolerance for work politics and BS. And when you're 41 with $2.5M of invested assets, having watched both of your parents die young- WORK REALLY SEEMS MEANINGLESS. But that doesn't change the feelings around walking away. It will be hard. But I'm still sticking to the plan for May. And I do think I need to find some part time work for myself. We will see how that works out.
Best of luck @Taran Wanderer. Know that ALL of your feelings around FIRE are very valid and others feel it too. I think it's good to keep posting about it as it does help you and others to work through it.
Glad to see the thread liven up bit.  Haven't heard much from you all lately.
So sorry to hear about the loss of your parents, Beancounter.  My wife lost her mom at too early an age.  We all miss her sweet life dearly.   She loved her family so much. 
Get out when you safely can.  Don't let my paranoia influence you.  I'm not going to quit till the first quarter of 2021.  I'll have 9 weeks off next year and that is a lot of stress relief.  I've still got a lot of expenses to put into the Florida house.  Air-conditioning needs replacing as soon as we see cooler weather.  I also need to build an outdoor kitchen and refurbish the pool area.   I need to buy a decent vehicle as well.  That's easily a year of things to get done while income can provide for them.   Minor stuff I'm pretty handy with and can do post FIRE.   I've got huge adventure plans for 2021 that can't be postponed.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1641 on: October 04, 2019, 11:19:07 AM »
I know @Bateaux seems to be in a similar boat

*snicker*

Sorry. Couldn't help it.

In seriousness - I can relate. Every little irritation of a political nature makes me want to march in to my manager's office and quit. We have FU$ but have not hit our number yet so for now I am restraining myself. So far, for now.

If it's my boat, bring a bail bucket!

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1642 on: October 05, 2019, 11:58:46 AM »
Well folks - my end may be coming soon.

My project ends in mid to late October and nothing seems to be on the horizon.  E-mails have been sent from on high about shutting finances down.  Rumors of layoffs have emerged.

Might be a good thing.  I was going to quit at the end of the year.  However, I have also thought why not work a few more months into next year to help pay for a replacement vehicle and some toys.

I've been in the solid middle this race now with things very slowly creeping upwards for a bit now.  Hey!  To a poor boy like me it seems like a heck of a lot of money.  It doesn't seem real.  It's numbers.  It's like Monopoly money.

House is paid for, car is paid for and bills are paid up.

Am I suffering from the dreaded OMY syndrome?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1643 on: October 05, 2019, 12:07:09 PM »

My project ends in mid to late October and nothing seems to be on the horizon.  E-mails have been sent from on high about shutting finances down.  Rumors of layoffs have emerged.

Might be a good thing.  I was going to quit at the end of the year.  However, I have also thought why not work a few more months into next year to help pay for a replacement vehicle and some toys.

I've been in the solid middle this race now with things very slowly creeping upwards for a bit now.  Hey!  To a poor boy like me it seems like a heck of a lot of money.  It doesn't seem real.  It's numbers.  It's like Monopoly money.

If you're in this club,  especially if you're not counting the value of your home, the answer could well be YES!

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1644 on: October 05, 2019, 02:20:53 PM »

If you're in this club,  especially if you're not counting the value of your home, the answer could well be YES!

Jump!

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1645 on: October 05, 2019, 04:19:52 PM »

Its only dreaded if you hate what you're doing while working the OMY. In my case I found a contract gig that was overpaid for what it was and a ST of OT due to the international travel.

It was hard to hate that...:)

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1646 on: October 07, 2019, 11:24:25 AM »
... and just like that the doubt in my head is gone and the next step is crystal clear...

I will FIRE in May!

We probably have “enough”,
probably more than enough,
but I have always kept wondering whether having yet a little more, or maybe a lot more might be nice.

But I’ve realised that with our fairly comfortable NW that it really wouldn’t take much for our net worth to keep growing whilst I don’t work or work minimally. The stash will just feed on itself every time it gets a small chance - such as We don’t draw down on it for a few months because some unexpected income flows our way which I suspect will happen

We don’t really have any rational reason anymore to be living 15,000kms from home earning a big expat salary. We have seen the world and secured our financial future. This part of our life has served its purpose.

At this point We may as well be back home with family.

Less than 8 months to go...

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1647 on: October 07, 2019, 12:26:27 PM »
@itchyfeet Well done! You will "sell in May and go away"..:)

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1648 on: October 07, 2019, 12:45:55 PM »
... and just like that the doubt in my head is gone and the next step is crystal clear...

I will FIRE in May!

We probably have “enough”,
probably more than enough,
but I have always kept wondering whether having yet a little more, or maybe a lot more might be nice.

But I’ve realised that with our fairly comfortable NW that it really wouldn’t take much for our net worth to keep growing whilst I don’t work or work minimally. The stash will just feed on itself every time it gets a small chance - such as We don’t draw down on it for a few months because some unexpected income flows our way which I suspect will happen

We don’t really have any rational reason anymore to be living 15,000kms from home earning a big expat salary. We have seen the world and secured our financial future. This part of our life has served its purpose.

At this point We may as well be back home with family.

Less than 8 months to go...

Congrats IF!  Enjoy your freedom.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1649 on: October 07, 2019, 08:31:39 PM »
And just like that the motor blower stopped working on my nearly 11 year old 97% efficient York furnace.
Do I pay $810 to repair this, or do I buy a new furnace altogether, which would cost at least $3500 ?
If I repair the old furnace am I just going to have to make another repair to it in 2 years for another large amount, or will it be trouble free for a few years?
and if I buy a new furnace should I go ahead and upgrade my central air which has a SEER efficiency of 10 to a new central air SEER efficiency of 16?

I'm glad I'm still working part time, cause it's looking like I'll be spending money.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!