Author Topic: Race from $2M to $4M...and Beyond!  (Read 1269683 times)

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Race from $2M to $4M
« Reply #2150 on: December 24, 2019, 08:43:45 PM »
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1840-N-Trucks-Ave-Hernando-FL-34442/98485972_zpid/
Hahaha, I love the street name! Well, if the "N" stands for "No" it might be mustachian, lol. Congratulations!

In this case the N means North. We're excited

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2151 on: December 25, 2019, 02:31:32 AM »
Woo-hoo!  We just made an offer on a 4 acre plot of land near our Florida home.  Since the Florida house is in a golf community and has HOA rules, I need some space.  The house sits on a big acre lot and is surrounded by acre lots.  There are two empty acre lots behind us currently and have been for 30 years now.   So, I guess we have plenty of space, but not free to do what I want space.  Anyway, it's only 1.1 miles away, so I can walk to it, bike to it, golf cart to it, you get the idea.  Hell, one day we may build on it if we choose.  It's listed for $32,500 for the whole 660 foot by 265 foot rectangle.  It's half wooded and half cleared, which is perfect.  I hope to put a large barn or shop on the property to keep my stuff.  Yeah, not very MMM I know.  But at least the garage at the house won't be cluttered then.  For now it's just going to be the land.  We'll decide on what we'll put on it later.  We're excited and have been looking for a nearby property for over a year.  This is as perfect as it gets location wise.  It abuts a nice church property for it's entire northern boundary.  A secondary paved road to the East, a secondary paved road to the South and a newly build home which is within our golf community to the west.  We're paying cash because we're going on a cruise in a week and just don't have time for banker's bullshit.  Damn I love being a millionaire.  Anyway.  Fun times.

Nice! You can now create a food forest in that new property - https://ediblesouthflorida.ediblecommunities.com/things-do/year-round-edibles-grow-your-food-forest

With a plot of land that big, it ought to be possible to grow a big chunk of your own food. I have grown increasingly interested in the concept of food forests.

Food forests mimic an actual forest, so they have a more natural appearance than gardens of annual veggies and herbs. They can also include plants that are beneficial to the soil and wildlife. In some regards, they require less maintenance than annual veggie/herb gardens because they include perennial plants that don’t require annual planting. When food forests mature, they create shade and make their own mulch when trees drop old leaves, so there tends to be less weeding. However, newly planted food forests need some weeding and mulching, occasional fertilization and pest management.

JoJoP

• Bristles
« Reply #2152 on: December 25, 2019, 08:13:07 AM »
Congrats Bateaux on the new plot of land.  There's nothing like having land! IMO!!

I've been gone from the site/thread for a few months, I caught up on the last few pages.   I'm glad everyone is doing well.

We've been traveling as much as ever, and all is well.  NW is creeping up and we're happy, healthy, fat 'n' sassy.  Merry Christmas!

Currently we have to shift some RE around-- I had several vacancies and now have to sell one of them because our daughter has graduated college and is moving out to be closer to the new, excellent job she now has.   The commute is untenable from her current location.  I'm faced with the dilemma of "just how generous do I want to be to help my young adult children get their first home?"  We live in a Very HCOL area and prices have skyrocketed in the past few years.    Our personal NW has ridden this tide, but now the shoe is on the other foot.   It's hard to imagine a young person starting out making these hefty payments, property taxes, etc.    Little 1 or 2 bedroom condos that aren't in the ghetto cost so much.  Since our NW is nearly all RE, I'm a proponent of living in home you own, not rent. 

Also, I'll cast my vote for restoring the "and beyond" title.   I always liked it and it seemed high enough for a MMM thread.  I've been "and beyond" since before I joined MMM, so there's that.   I love our chat room.  The new thread is more a "how'd ya do it?" thread.  I'll pop in to the 4-8 thread just to mention that RE does work for some of us, but you guys are my besties.  Glad to be back!

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2153 on: December 25, 2019, 09:43:08 AM »
Woo-hoo!  We just made an offer on a 4 acre plot of land near our Florida home.  Since the Florida house is in a golf community and has HOA rules, I need some space.  The house sits on a big acre lot and is surrounded by acre lots.  There are two empty acre lots behind us currently and have been for 30 years now.   So, I guess we have plenty of space, but not free to do what I want space.  Anyway, it's only 1.1 miles away, so I can walk to it, bike to it, golf cart to it, you get the idea.  Hell, one day we may build on it if we choose.  It's listed for $32,500 for the whole 660 foot by 265 foot rectangle.  It's half wooded and half cleared, which is perfect.  I hope to put a large barn or shop on the property to keep my stuff.  Yeah, not very MMM I know.  But at least the garage at the house won't be cluttered then.  For now it's just going to be the land.  We'll decide on what we'll put on it later.  We're excited and have been looking for a nearby property for over a year.  This is as perfect as it gets location wise.  It abuts a nice church property for it's entire northern boundary.  A secondary paved road to the East, a secondary paved road to the South and a newly build home which is within our golf community to the west.  We're paying cash because we're going on a cruise in a week and just don't have time for banker's bullshit.  Damn I love being a millionaire.  Anyway.  Fun times.

Nice! You can now create a food forest in that new property - https://ediblesouthflorida.ediblecommunities.com/things-do/year-round-edibles-grow-your-food-forest

With a plot of land that big, it ought to be possible to grow a big chunk of your own food. I have grown increasingly interested in the concept of food forests.

Food forests mimic an actual forest, so they have a more natural appearance than gardens of annual veggies and herbs. They can also include plants that are beneficial to the soil and wildlife. In some regards, they require less maintenance than annual veggie/herb gardens because they include perennial plants that don’t require annual planting. When food forests mature, they create shade and make their own mulch when trees drop old leaves, so there tends to be less weeding. However, newly planted food forests need some weeding and mulching, occasional fertilization and pest management.
We could add soil and grow a few things, but it's really sandy in the area.  I'll definitely put in citrus trees, I have lovely mature ones in Louisiana that are loaded with fruit right now.  Maybe banana trees and possibly coconut palms.   Thanks for the well wishes. 

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2154 on: December 25, 2019, 09:53:05 AM »
Congrats Bateaux on the new plot of land.  There's nothing like having land! IMO!!

I've been gone from the site/thread for a few months, I caught up on the last few pages.   I'm glad everyone is doing well.

We've been traveling as much as ever, and all is well.  NW is creeping up and we're happy, healthy, fat 'n' sassy.  Merry Christmas!

Currently we have to shift some RE around-- I had several vacancies and now have to sell one of them because our daughter has graduated college and is moving out to be closer to the new, excellent job she now has.   The commute is untenable from her current location.  I'm faced with the dilemma of "just how generous do I want to be to help my young adult children get their first home?"  We live in a Very HCOL area and prices have skyrocketed in the past few years.    Our personal NW has ridden this tide, but now the shoe is on the other foot.   It's hard to imagine a young person starting out making these hefty payments, property taxes, etc.    Little 1 or 2 bedroom condos that aren't in the ghetto cost so much.  Since our NW is nearly all RE, I'm a proponent of living in home you own, not rent. 

Also, I'll cast my vote for restoring the "and beyond" title.   I always liked it and it seemed high enough for a MMM thread.  I've been "and beyond" since before I joined MMM, so there's that.   I love our chat room.  The new thread is more a "how'd ya do it?" thread.  I'll pop in to the 4-8 thread just to mention that RE does work for some of us, but you guys are my besties.  Glad to be back!
So glad to see you back.  Congratulations on your own and your children's success.  I see nothing wrong with giving your kids a boost up, as long as it isn't a drag along.  A chemical reaction needs a catalyst and energy of activation often to get started.  Once it's warmed up it can be self sustaining.  I agree that the and beyond was a good ending to the title.  Many of us are now or will be at 4M networth at sometime.  Many of us will be quitting our jobs or changing what we do well before the 4M mark. 

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2155 on: December 27, 2019, 02:08:19 PM »
You guys ever hear of positive feedback.   It was also called too many poles in the right half plane

This Dow Jones thing somehow reminds me of it.

It's like a short circuit.   maybe, it can continue for a little while, but the house will burn down.

https://www.investors.com/market-trend/stock-market-today/dow-jones-industrial-average-record-high-apple-stock-amazon-stock-buy-point/

These may be the best of times.  They may be the worst of times.

But you might as well have a Happy New Year!

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2156 on: December 30, 2019, 07:25:53 AM »
Positive feedback can be imaginary when the plane is complex.

(yuk, yuk)

jdfergason

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2157 on: December 30, 2019, 11:37:54 AM »
We could add soil and grow a few things, but it's really sandy in the area.  I'll definitely put in citrus trees, I have lovely mature ones in Louisiana that are loaded with fruit right now.  Maybe banana trees and possibly coconut palms.   Thanks for the well wishes.

Congrats on the land--that is exciting. I would be stoked about what I could grow in Florida. Definitely check out a katuk plant. It's leaves are edible and kind of taste like peanut butter. Grows very well in Florida. I would also do Red Lady Papaya. There's also many varieties of bananas that taste much better than store bought bananas.

Some other plants to check out:

• Black Sapote
  • Jack Fruit - Giant trees and very productive (get red variety)
  • Mamey Sapote Pantin
  • White Pine Pineapple
  • Açaí palm - Rich in anti-oxidants
  • Mango

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #2158 on: December 30, 2019, 12:05:21 PM »
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1840-N-Trucks-Ave-Hernando-FL-34442/98485972_zpid/
Hahaha, I love the street name! Well, if the "N" stands for "No" it might be mustachian, lol. Congratulations!

Sweet! We have family in Bevery Hills and Citrus Springs. Gonna be neighbors soon! Nothing like scalloping all summer. The area is full of redneck country bumpkins though.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2159 on: December 31, 2019, 01:34:15 PM »

Sweet! We have family in Bevery Hills and Citrus Springs. Gonna be neighbors soon! Nothing like scalloping all summer. The area is full of redneck country bumpkins though.

I'm a bit of a redneck bumkin so I can speak the language.   So you're moving to Citrus County?  It is beautiful and thus far we're happy with out choice.  Haven't figured out what to do with Louisiana property yet.   Flooding is the major issue.  Hope to see you in Florida some time. 😎

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2160 on: January 02, 2020, 03:12:12 PM »

I'm a bit of a redneck bumkin so I can speak the language.   So you're moving to Citrus County?  It is beautiful and thus far we're happy with out choice.  Haven't figured out what to do with Louisiana property yet.   Flooding is the major issue.  Hope to see you in Florida some time. 😎

You are right up the road from us, we moved to Hillsborough this year.  Check out the Blue Java ice cream banana and the fruit cocktail citrus trees.  Also super tasty is the Sumo mandarin.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2161 on: January 02, 2020, 04:13:33 PM »

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2162 on: January 02, 2020, 05:41:22 PM »
Any plans on how to handle a hurricane if you live in Florida and your house is damaged, maybe even completely lost ?

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2163 on: January 02, 2020, 05:49:16 PM »
Any plans on how to handle a hurricane if you live in Florida and your house is damaged, maybe even completely lost ?

Insurance, we have NFIP, hurricane, wind and sinkhole, along with a large umbrella in case of injury.  And while we pay a pretty freaking penny for insurance, housing is WAY cheaper here then where we have lived in the past.  We also chose to not live where we really wanted to just so that we were in an X zone.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2164 on: January 02, 2020, 05:54:34 PM »
\  We also chose to not live where we really wanted to just so that we were in an X zone.

Can you explain what you mean here? 

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2165 on: January 02, 2020, 06:10:35 PM »
\  We also chose to not live where we really wanted to just so that we were in an X zone.

It's a flood plain classification that basically means "not in flood danger (unless we're wrong)".   I.e., like most homes.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2166 on: January 02, 2020, 07:08:09 PM »

You are right up the road from us, we moved to Hillsborough this year.  Check out the Blue Java ice cream banana and the fruit cocktail citrus trees.  Also super tasty is the Sumo mandarin.

I'm wanting to plant citrus trees soon on the acre that surrounds our Florida house. Definitely want some bananas.  Friend in Dunnellon has some just about ready too eat.  I tried bananas in Louisiana, but lost them to frost before they could bear fruit.  One of the things I hate about leaving Louisiana is my mature citrus trees that are loaded right now.. Navel, grapefruit, Satsuma.   Trying to get this property bought so we can plant more there as well. 

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2167 on: January 02, 2020, 07:16:58 PM »

It's a flood plain classification that basically means "not in flood danger (unless we're wrong)".   I.e., like most homes.

I'm actually leaving Louisiana because of the hurricane threat.  The Louisiana house had water to the second floor in 2016.  I rode the storm out in the house with our two dogs.  I evacuated the family to high ground the day before.  I wasn't afraid till it entered the second floor.  Knowing that there was 10 to 15 feet of water in the yard where we normally walk on dry ground was the last straw.  The decision was made to move to Florida to avoid hurricanes.  Our Florida home is high in the hills and cannot ever flood.  Wind damage maybe, but that is such a slight risk in our location that it doesn't even scare us.   Storm surge and flooding is scary stuff.  It's only a short drive to the gulf for us, and although we considered waterfront, the risk is just too high. 

I'm seeing the makings of a Florida West Coast Krewe here.  Scalloping, fishing, biking, hiking!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 07:30:07 PM by Bateaux »

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #2168 on: January 03, 2020, 04:33:32 AM »
not in the 2m bracket yet but am in the Florida west coast crew! Another hillsborough resident - with a house in an X location. With the revised flood zones it was worth seeking one out to bring insurance costs down.

We are less likely to get the hurricanes this side - Irma was an anomaly but simple things like having a brick build house, raised elevation and proper roof ties will dramatically reduce potential loss. no guarantees obviously. My location is currently driven by work for my and my SO. after that then we are looking at Citrus county area and should be able to get a similar house plus land for the value of what I'm in now. even our small bit of land that we have hold pineapples and we'll be adding lime and avocados. Looking forward to more of that with more land.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2169 on: January 03, 2020, 05:08:03 AM »

Insurance, we have NFIP, hurricane, wind and sinkhole, along with a large umbrella in case of injury.  And while we pay a pretty freaking penny for insurance, housing is WAY cheaper here then where we have lived in the past.  We also chose to not live where we really wanted to just so that we were in an X zone.

Also if buying a "used" home make sure it meets current FL hurricane standards.  My sister and BIL finally got their 1980s roof retrofitted so that it meets current standards which will drop their hurricane insurance in half. 

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2170 on: January 03, 2020, 05:13:01 AM »
not in the 2m bracket yet but am in the Florida west coast crew! Another hillsborough resident - with a house in an X location. With the revised flood zones it was worth seeking one out to bring insurance costs down.

We are less likely to get the hurricanes this side - Irma was an anomaly but simple things like having a brick build house, raised elevation and proper roof ties will dramatically reduce potential loss. no guarantees obviously. My location is currently driven by work for my and my SO. after that then we are looking at Citrus county area and should be able to get a similar house plus land for the value of what I'm in now. even our small bit of land that we have hold pineapples and we'll be adding lime and avocados. Looking forward to more of that with more land.

Awesome great to hear from more near neighbors.  We're going to be headed to Citrus County in a few hours from Louisiana house.  Tampa cruise terminal Sunday.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 09:44:04 AM by Bateaux »

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2171 on: January 03, 2020, 09:45:58 AM »

Awesome great to hear from more near neighbors.  We're going to be headed to Citrus County in a few hours from Louisiana house.  Tampa cruise terminal Sunday.
We replaced our roof in April.  Turned the recertification into the county and insurance.  It was a nice savings.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2172 on: January 03, 2020, 03:26:12 PM »
I would love to have a place in Florida where I could grow some of these fruit trees.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #2173 on: January 04, 2020, 04:45:10 AM »

We replaced our roof in April.  Turned the recertification into the county and insurance.  It was a nice savings.

ours was done in August right before we moved in. had the 4 point inspection done to make sure the roof was attached up to standard which kept the insurance down. The house is also raised a few feet up which keeps it out of the 100 year flood zone. just. just enough.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2174 on: January 04, 2020, 02:36:18 PM »

I'm actually leaving Louisiana because of the hurricane threat.  The Louisiana house had water to the second floor in 2016.  I rode the storm out in the house with our two dogs.  I evacuated the family to high ground the day before.  I wasn't afraid till it entered the second floor.  Knowing that there was 10 to 15 feet of water in the yard where we normally walk on dry ground was the last straw.  The decision was made to move to Florida to avoid hurricanes.  Our Florida home is high in the hills and cannot ever flood.  Wind damage maybe, but that is such a slight risk in our location that it doesn't even scare us.   Storm surge and flooding is scary stuff.  It's only a short drive to the gulf for us, and although we considered waterfront, the risk is just too high. 

I'm seeing the makings of a Florida West Coast Krewe here.  Scalloping, fishing, biking, hiking!

Heck yea Florida West coast crew.  We are about to purchase a very unmustachian boat to take advantage of all the water sports.  We did scalloping for the first time this summer and it was so much fun.  And we live and breathe fishing, in fact pretty much all our vacations center around fishing.  It gets harder to beat back the husband on a. 27ft boat when you see the outsized gains of this past year and you know you have to run 50 miles to get to good fishing grounds.  But it will also come in handy for lobster mini season this year as well.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2175 on: January 04, 2020, 02:48:56 PM »

I've worked with FEMA so finding out they were redrawing all the maps, right at the time we HAD to buy a house, was disconcerting to say the least.  So we opted for a new build to ensure everything was up to code and we only looked in X zones.  We saw a house on a canal that we REALLY liked, so I called our insurance company to just get an estimate and lets just say the guy on the phone started laughing and goes "I've never seen a flood quote this high, they REALLY don't want to insure that house". Found out why after the fact, house had flooded, twice.  But having just two weeks to find and buy a house really puts the pressure on, I'm just glad we didn't end up in a past flooded house and I'm glad we managed to offload the DC house before anything catastrophic went wrong in it (the pipes and AC were both up for replacement)

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #2176 on: January 08, 2020, 08:41:15 AM »
Its going to be interesting to see if this Iran situation rolls over to trigger a market correction.

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2177 on: January 08, 2020, 08:49:12 AM »
I don’t expect so.

I don’t expect a further escalation.

The plane crass in Tehran today was certainly the last thing Iran needed. Very sad.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2178 on: January 08, 2020, 03:15:03 PM »
They say the guy Trump killed was the second in charge in Iran.  He had a big funeral.  It could be a bit until it blows over.  I hope the next president is more diplomatic.  All this sanction stuff with these countries seems like it would be bad for business.  Prosperous businesses and rising stock prices often go hand in hand.  Peace could have a chance to get me to 4 million.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #2179 on: January 08, 2020, 03:43:33 PM »
Wars might trigger a short term correction (buying opportunity) but they are usually a great economic stimulus too.. WW2 was arguably the spending lube that got the US economy moving again.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2180 on: January 08, 2020, 05:51:57 PM »
Wars might trigger a short term correction (buying opportunity) but they are usually a great economic stimulus too.. WW2 was arguably the spending lube that got the US economy moving again.

I've heard that and believe it.  Wouldn't the same amount of spending on stuff like high speed trains, rebuilding interstate highways, water reclamation projects and even trips to Mars also act as a spending lube?  These would have the added benefit of actually doing some good.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2181 on: January 09, 2020, 01:21:40 PM »
Checking in from St Thomas.  Had a swim at the beach in Megan's Bay, it was lovely.  We're back on board the  Norwegian Dawn.  Catamaran sail tomorrow in Antigua.  Such a miserable life, oh checked the market after 4 days at sea.  Cha-Ching we aren't spending nearly fast enough to keep up with the increases.   Time to go enjoy our adult beverages package.  Bateaux out...

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2182 on: January 09, 2020, 01:35:26 PM »
Looks like the warm embrace of 'financial independence' has claimed Prince Harry and Meghan Markle - The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have announced they are stepping back as senior royals and intend to become financially independent.

It's an interesting commentary on being free to do what you want when you want because no one holds financial leverage over you.  In my humble opinion, living FI is about as cool as it gets.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #2183 on: January 09, 2020, 01:38:39 PM »
Looks like the warm embrace of 'financial independence' has claimed Prince Harry and Meghan Markle - The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have announced they are stepping back as senior royals and intend to become financially independent.

It's an interesting commentary on being free to do what you want when you want because no one holds financial leverage over you.  In my humble opinion, living FI is about as cool as it gets.

"Become" financially independent?... The Queen heads up one of the richest families in the World.. I don't think there is much "becoming" to be done here..:)

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2184 on: January 09, 2020, 01:41:36 PM »

"Become" financially independent?... The Queen heads up one of the richest families in the World.. I don't think there is much "becoming" to be done here..:)

Of course, I'm not saying they are Mustachian or earned their way - just that they are expressing the desire to 'earn their own money',  and be freed from official obligations tied to them accepting public monies.  It will be interesting to watch how it plays out....

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2185 on: January 09, 2020, 03:01:02 PM »
It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood, a beautiful day in the neighborhood,.....  Record Highs!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/01/09/trump-asks-how-your-409-ks-doing-market-records/4419567002/

Maybe Trump meant 409K and not 401K,......nah.  Still:

Like the Beach Boys used to sing:

She's real fine my 409
She's real fine my 409
My 409

Well I saved my pennies and I saved my dimes
(giddy up giddy up 409)
For I knew there would be a time
(giddy up giddy up 409)
When I would buy a brand new 409
(409, 409)
Giddy up giddy up giddy up 409
(giddy up giddy up 409)
Giddy up 409

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #2186 on: January 09, 2020, 09:58:52 PM »
They say the guy Trump killed was the second in charge in Iran.  He had a big funeral.  It could be a bit until it blows over.  I hope the next president is more diplomatic.  All this sanction stuff with these countries seems like it would be bad for business.  Prosperous businesses and rising stock prices often go hand in hand.  Peace could have a chance to get me to 4 million.

I don't think we are done with Iran yet but it may be a while before we see a new president. 

A hot shooting war would certainly disrupt the status quo but at least so far both sides seem reluctant to go there.  Thank god for that!

Impeachment is in limbo.  After such a rush to judgment in the House the current delay is inexplicable. Even Senior Senate Democrats like Feinstein are starting to tell Pelosi to move forward.

Sanctions against Iran or NK will not have much impact on the US or really much impact on the ROW either.  Sanctions on these two countries have been in effect for decades already.  It's not like they are big trading partners with the US or most other countries.

Even the trade war with China (and other countries) has had less effect on the markets than expected.  This surprised me, I was expecting much more impact.  I guess all the bluster and chest thumping on both sides of the Pacific is just noise after all.

The Democrats have too many candidates in the race.  They are increasingly attacking each other, effectively doing Trump's work for him.  Hopefully by the time a candidate finally emerges with the nomination he or she will not be morally wounded by his or her own competitors.  In the mean time all they are doing is giving the Trump campaign dirt to use against them.

Back on topic, last year was amazing for my post FIRE portfolio, being up well over 20% net of expenses more than wiped out being essentially flat for 2018.  2020 is starting out well and some analysts are saying we might have another strong up year.  Sooner or later this bull market will have to crash but in the mean time I am letting my chips ride.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2187 on: January 09, 2020, 11:16:07 PM »

I don't think we are done with Iran yet but it may be a while before we see a new president. 

A hot shooting war would certainly disrupt the status quo but at least so far both sides seem reluctant to go there.  Thank god for that!

Impeachment is in limbo.  After such a rush to judgment in the House the current delay is inexplicable. Even Senior Senate Democrats like Feinstein are starting to tell Pelosi to move forward.

Sanctions against Iran or NK will not have much impact on the US or really much impact on the ROW either.  Sanctions on these two countries have been in effect for decades already.  It's not like they are big trading partners with the US or most other countries.

Even the trade war with China (and other countries) has had less effect on the markets than expected.  This surprised me, I was expecting much more impact.  I guess all the bluster and chest thumping on both sides of the Pacific is just noise after all.

The Democrats have too many candidates in the race.  They are increasingly attacking each other, effectively doing Trump's work for him.  Hopefully by the time a candidate finally emerges with the nomination he or she will not be morally wounded by his or her own competitors.  In the mean time all they are doing is giving the Trump campaign dirt to use against them.

Back on topic, last year was amazing for my post FIRE portfolio, being up well over 20% net of expenses more than wiped out being essentially flat for 2018.  2020 is starting out well and some analysts are saying we might have another strong up year.  Sooner or later this bull market will have to crash but in the mean time I am letting my chips ride.

It's nice to be almost bored with my portfolio going up, I'm not going to complain about paying less income tax and having a spiking net worth.

On the flip side, if you think about the 'cost' of having a President like Trump who is good for our portfolios (and for another tax cut during his next term), it's a bit depressing.  For instance, if Trump were not in the middle of impeachment taking the headlines away from his 'greatness', he might not have ordered the attack on Soleimani (since we have yet to produce a true imminent threat).  If the Iranians did not have to save face and calm the masses (given the stampede during the funeral), they might not have had to launch missiles and and be on high alert against more US strikes.  If the missile attack and high alert were not going on, the Ukrainian flight would not have been hit by a surface to air missile.  And ultimately, many innocent people would be alive today and the world would be a better place.

Maybe this is just a bit of 'survivor guilt' like after Harvey in Houston when there was an indiscriminate selection of families flooded and lives upended, but an increasingly unstable, polarized, churning world makes everything less fun for everyone.  I'm enjoying reading the latest Wait but Why Series which discusses some of the underpinnings of the why.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #2188 on: January 10, 2020, 04:23:38 AM »

It's nice to be almost bored with my portfolio going up, I'm not going to complain about paying less income tax and having a spiking net worth.

On the flip side, if you think about the 'cost' of having a President like Trump who is good for our portfolios (and for another tax cut during his next term), it's a bit depressing.  For instance, if Trump were not in the middle of impeachment taking the headlines away from his 'greatness', he might not have ordered the attack on Soleimani (since we have yet to produce a true imminent threat).  If the Iranians did not have to save face and calm the masses (given the stampede during the funeral), they might not have had to launch missiles and and be on high alert against more US strikes.  If the missile attack and high alert were not going on, the Ukrainian flight would not have been hit by a surface to air missile.  And ultimately, many innocent people would be alive today and the world would be a better place.

Maybe this is just a bit of 'survivor guilt' like after Harvey in Houston when there was an indiscriminate selection of families flooded and lives upended, but an increasingly unstable, polarized, churning world makes everything less fun for everyone.  I'm enjoying reading the latest Wait but Why Series which discusses some of the underpinnings of the why.

Totally agree with all the lives lost but while there is that I am waiting to see, if we ever see what the intelligence reports actually prove/say because of how many more lives if the prove to be true might of been saved. But we the people will probably never find out the real truth of things.

I also agree this is not the end of things, its a matter of deciphering what is really an escalation of Trump taking him out vs just what they have always been mixed up in. Again , do we ever learn the truth on these matters as sides come into things and media and everything gets so distorted.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2189 on: January 10, 2020, 06:41:27 AM »
Got an email yesterday from eTrade, where my company does RSUs and ESPP.  $100 for 6 months of $5k new money.  Pfffft.  Easy.  There are higher levels, but are much more $/reward, so I'm happy with this.

I'm within striking distance of my next target.....$2.75M.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2190 on: January 10, 2020, 02:40:06 PM »
An acquaintance who works at a local bank said that for the last three months the Federal Reserve has essentially done another Quantitative Easing, and it would be called QE 4, but it hasn't been given a name. The balance sheet of the Fed is now back to being as high with treasury bonds (and possibly mortgage backed securities too?) as it has ever been.

I was aware that the Fed lowered interest rates three times in 2019, but I wasn't aware of the Quantitative easing.

The cause for this easing was some liquidity crisis with some banks that were having some problems, SoftBank, and Deutsche Bank, and maybe a couple of others, according to this banker.
Not sure why these banks were in this liquidity crisis.  Not clear how the quantitative easing helps these banks.
The banker said the QE is what is sending stocks higher.

desk_jockey

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
« Reply #2191 on: January 10, 2020, 03:49:56 PM »

I've heard that and believe it.  Wouldn't the same amount of spending on stuff like high speed trains, rebuilding interstate highways, water reclamation projects and even trips to Mars also act as a spending lube?  These would have the added benefit of actually doing some good.

War is a great economic stimulus in the same way that breaking a shop window is economic stimulus.  The shop owner must spend money to replace the window, so that could be considered economic stimulus even though he could have used the money for expansion instead.    The UK won WW2, but damn if they didn’t suffer later trying to pay down their war debt. 

Wars were better stimulus back in the good old days when a country could keep the land and goods that it seized.  Now in these unfortunate modern times when one has to rebuild everything and try to impose democracy, it gets too expensive to win a war.  I’d prefer a green energy "Apollo program" more than a temporary boost the Raytheon stock price from an extra DOD order.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #2192 on: January 10, 2020, 04:48:17 PM »

War is a great economic stimulus in the same way that breaking a shop window is economic stimulus.  The shop owner must spend money to replace the window, so that could be considered economic stimulus even though he could have used the money for expansion instead.    The UK won WW2, but damn if they didn’t suffer later trying to pay down their war debt. 

Wars were better stimulus back in the good old days when a country could keep the land and goods that it seized.  Now in these unfortunate modern times when one has to rebuild everything and try to impose democracy, it gets too expensive to win a war.  I’d prefer a green energy "Apollo program" more than a temporary boost the Raytheon stock price from an extra DOD order.

Well said DJ.

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2193 on: January 10, 2020, 09:41:50 PM »
Checking in from St Thomas.  Had a swim at the beach in Megan's Bay, it was lovely.  We're back on board the  Norwegian Dawn.  Catamaran sail tomorrow in Antigua.  Such a miserable life, oh checked the market after 4 days at sea.  Cha-Ching we aren't spending nearly fast enough to keep up with the increases.   Time to go enjoy our adult beverages package.  Bateaux out...

Haha. Love it. Living the Baller life...

Meanwhile, back in the salt mines, DW and I have started our new year working out how this year of transition to FIRE will play out. All very exciting..

The only caveat is that if my employer offers a job to me back in Australia (which it appears they are likely to) I could take it for a couple of years to assist the transition home, but I will negotiate a few months gap between finishing up here and starting there just to recharge the batteries for the final push.

Irrespective, we are repatriating this year and we are both pumped to be heading home.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #2194 on: January 11, 2020, 03:32:39 AM »
An acquaintance who works at a local bank said that for the last three months the Federal Reserve has essentially done another Quantitative Easing, and it would be called QE 4, but it hasn't been given a name. The balance sheet of the Fed is now back to being as high with treasury bonds (and possibly mortgage backed securities too?) as it has ever been.

I was aware that the Fed lowered interest rates three times in 2019, but I wasn't aware of the Quantitative easing.

The cause for this easing was some liquidity crisis with some banks that were having some problems, SoftBank, and Deutsche Bank, and maybe a couple of others, according to this banker.
Not sure why these banks were in this liquidity crisis.  Not clear how the quantitative easing helps these banks.

Thats interesting, thanks for sharing! but yet scary for many reasons that that could be going on again and not hearing about it.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2195 on: January 11, 2020, 04:56:44 AM »

Thats interesting, thanks for sharing! but yet scary for many reasons that that could be going on again and not hearing about it.

Not a rumor.  Here's the chart from the Federal Reserve that shows what they're doing.

https://www.federalreserve.gov/monetarypolicy/bst_recenttrends.htm

jeroly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2196 on: January 11, 2020, 07:30:40 AM »
The OP conflated expansion of the money supply and increases in assets held by the Treasury in pursuit of an interest rate target that could also be associated with quantitative easing.

The Treasury has eased many times.  Historically it has eased with specific interest rate targets.  In quantitative easing, it doesn't target an interest rate but rather sets a specific amount of bills and bonds that it will purchase (The Treasury can do one but not both of interest rate / money supply targeting,) .

AFAIK the Fed is not doing a QE but has rather been targeting a lower interest range, which generally requires purchases of Treasuries.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #2197 on: January 11, 2020, 10:37:02 AM »
The OP conflated expansion of the money supply and increases in assets held by the Treasury in pursuit of an interest rate target that could also be associated with quantitative easing.

The Treasury has eased many times.  Historically it has eased with specific interest rate targets.  In quantitative easing, it doesn't target an interest rate but rather sets a specific amount of bills and bonds that it will purchase (The Treasury can do one but not both of interest rate / money supply targeting,) .

AFAIK the Fed is not doing a QE but has rather been targeting a lower interest range, which generally requires purchases of Treasuries.

Not a rumor.  Here's the chart from the Federal Reserve that shows what they're doing.

https://www.federalreserve.gov/monetarypolicy/bst_recenttrends.htm

Interesting stuff..Thanks for sharing

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2198 on: January 11, 2020, 10:50:26 AM »
Bateaux checking in from Martinique.  All is good.   The volcano is behaving itself and the beer is cold!

dominikm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Location: From Australia, Resident of Bulgaria, Currently in Thailand
  • Live YOUR Life on YOUR Terms!
« Reply #2199 on: January 12, 2020, 02:31:25 AM »
This thread is awesome! I thought MMM was full of people who wanted to retire early on $500K and spend $25K a year.

I just started my journal in the journal section for my road to $3MM. Starting with $5K in the bank as of the end of the month. After years or spending and having fun it's time to take this serious. I've got a 7 year plan and that puts me at 40 when I retire. I've got the skill set to do it from the last 10 years run online businesses but I've always blow the money.

And like some have mentioned in this thread they might not stop. Once I hit my $3MM I'll keep my businesses running and just take a step back. Maybe that means a pay cut but if I can systemise correctly it shouldn't be an issue. Then, from 40 to 50 I should bank another $5MM staying on top of things. So without any investment just living off 4% I'll have my $10K/m till I'm 100 or so. And if I sell off all my businesses after I'm 50 for a lump sum it will be a lot more.

Again, great to see like minded people here.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 05:17:25 AM by dominikm »