Author Topic: Race from $2M to $4M...and Beyond!  (Read 1269964 times)

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
Re: Race from $2M to $3M.....and beyond!
« Reply #1400 on: July 19, 2019, 01:57:34 PM »
Thanks for the rec, ysette9.

A few pages back on this thread this topic was brought up, and I found a lot of interesting thoughtful ideas from the ERN series, specifically:
https://earlyretirementnow.com/2017/09/13/the-ultimate-guide-to-safe-withdrawal-rates-part-19-equity-glidepaths/
I really like that series. I’m just stuck on how I can’t reproduce the Part 21 findings using cFIREsim, so I can’t decide whether it is lower risk to lay down/off the mortgage or not in the context of hedging against sequence of returns risk. :)

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #1401 on: July 19, 2019, 05:44:21 PM »
Start out with a 3% withdrawal and be prepared for 2% withdrawal or less in tough times.

I budgeted a 4% WR.  Our actual WR is around 1.3%.  Headroom!  (Driven by lower than budgeted expenses and NW gains.)

FIREd for almost 3 years now.

Edit: Fixed math errors.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 05:54:13 PM by Threshkin »

PowerStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1402 on: July 20, 2019, 09:16:28 PM »
Hello, there.  Dipping my toes into the waters of this thread.

My DH and I have >$3.5M invested assets.  I FIRE'd almost 4 months ago from a 26 year career in the power generation industry.  Loved the technical challenges and the team, hated the 24-7 stress of being connected to work.  DH works for the federal government and enjoys working.  He also has is able to work from home 2 days per week, and has a lot of flexibility in when he earns and takes time off.  I am enjoying spending more time with our very active sons and other family members as well as gardening and focusing on wellness.

To me, our story to make it to this thread has been fairly simple.  It's a combination of hard work, smart decisions and luck.  DH and I were married 18 years ago and from the beginning we have made good decisions with our money, putting away for retirement and investing in taxable accounts.  Our hard work (and luck) got us good paying jobs.  We have had some other luck in that I had a fantastic bonus structure while I was working.

Along the way, we probably wouldn't be mistaken for Mr. Money Mustache...I've never biked to work, we buy new (with cash) cars, and we purchase services we could do ourselves (ie house cleaning, oil changes and haircuts).  But I feel like we do work to make sure when we spend our money, we feel like we get value from it.  We love to use coupons, we over analyze before making large purchases, and we do not feel the need to keep up with the Joneses.

I want to echo what I have read a lot on this forum...the first million seems to take forever. Now with this net worth, the investment growth is at a rate where we haven't even felt it the affects of losing my income.

Loving life.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1403 on: July 20, 2019, 11:32:42 PM »

My DH and I have >$3.5M invested assets.  I FIRE'd almost 4 months ago from a 26 year career in the power generation industry.  Loved the technical challenges and the team, hated the 24-7 stress of being connected to work.  DH works for the federal government and enjoys working.  He also has is able to work from home 2 days per week, and has a lot of flexibility in when he earns and takes time off.  I am enjoying spending more time with our very active sons and other family members as well as gardening and focusing on wellness.

To me, our story to make it to this thread has been fairly simple.  It's a combination of hard work, smart decisions and luck.  DH and I were married 18 years ago and from the beginning we have made good decisions with our money, putting away for retirement and investing in taxable accounts.  Our hard work (and luck) got us good paying jobs.  We have had some other luck in that I had a fantastic bonus structure while I was working.

Along the way, we probably wouldn't be mistaken for Mr. Money Mustache...I've never biked to work, we buy new (with cash) cars, and we purchase services we could do ourselves (ie house cleaning, oil changes and haircuts).  But I feel like we do work to make sure when we spend our money, we feel like we get value from it.  We love to use coupons, we over analyze before making large purchases, and we do not feel the need to keep up with the Joneses.

I want to echo what I have read a lot on this forum...the first million seems to take forever. Now with this net worth, the investment growth is at a rate where we haven't even felt it the affects of losing my income.

Loving life.
Congratulations and welcome!

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1404 on: July 21, 2019, 02:39:30 AM »

Loving life.

Great to have you here. As I read through your post, I was struck by some similarities to my own story. I currently work in a big tech company in AI while my wife works in the pharmaceutical industry. Both of us have been very well paid in our careers but we have always lived on one paycheck and not allowed lifestyle creep. Like you, I buy new cars for cash and hold on to them for twelve to fifteen years. I will also admit that we have used a cleaning service for a long time :-)

As it happens, I just gave notice last week and Thursday is my last day. However I'm not retiring completely - a friend who has a startup, persuaded me to join him in a sort of an advisory role. We'll see how that goes but I don't see myself doing that for more than a year at most. I've put myself down for the class of 2020 and I feel confident that I'll be able to FIRE then without any OMY temptations.

PowerStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1405 on: July 21, 2019, 07:36:43 PM »
@2sk22  - Congratulations on getting to pursue the start up.  Whether we use our time to make an income or not, I enjoy having control over my time.  I am doing things I could get paid for like caring for my nephew, dog sitting, and helping a non profit.  But I like the freedom of doing those things because I WANT to do them.

I have enjoyed reading stories on this thread of those that have been RE for years and how their routines and lifestyles change.  I feel like some amount of introspection every once in awhile keeps me living my best life.

sonoranson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1406 on: July 22, 2019, 12:10:42 PM »
Greetings All,

I've been lurking the past few months and finally decided to get an account and post.  I've only just discovered fire the past few months and the depth of information that is available.  My wife and I 'graduated' Dave Ramsey about 3 years ago and have always been somewhat frugal but nothing I would consider hardcore.  She's in sales and I work in IT remotely.  Currently, we're at 2.33m which includes our home worth ~410k.  I'm 49 and she is 44.  I have 2 kids in high school with around 47k total in 529's which we don't contribute to anymore.  The issue i'm trying to address now is increasing the amount we're putting into a brokerage account at vanguard.  A great majority of our assets are in 401k/IRA/Roth which can't be touched for a while.  Last year's plan was for me to FIRE at 58.  My wife would continue to work until 58 and we'd live off her income in that 5 year stretch.  She enjoys her job so that is agreeable with her.  Me?  I'd be ok walking away.  FIRE has come into focus for me and I really question if I can go another 9 years.  My hope is to get enough into the brokerage account over the next year or two so I'm comfortable knowing the kids can get through college without loans.  We have been maxing out 401k for a while and started maxing out vanguard IRAs last year.  I hope to start putting 1k each week into the vanguard brokerage account starting next month.  We started together some 24 years ago on 28k salary and made it work.  We've been fortunate with a lot of hard work and luck to be in a much better position today.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #1407 on: July 22, 2019, 12:43:29 PM »
Greetings All,

I've been lurking the past few months and finally decided to get an account and post.  I've only just discovered fire the past few months and the depth of information that is available.  My wife and I 'graduated' Dave Ramsey about 3 years ago and have always been somewhat frugal but nothing I would consider hardcore.  She's in sales and I work in IT remotely.  Currently, we're at 2.33m which includes our home worth ~410k.  I'm 49 and she is 44.  I have 2 kids in high school with around 47k total in 529's which we don't contribute to anymore.  The issue i'm trying to address now is increasing the amount we're putting into a brokerage account at vanguard.  A great majority of our assets are in 401k/IRA/Roth which can't be touched for a while.  Last year's plan was for me to FIRE at 58.  My wife would continue to work until 58 and we'd live off her income in that 5 year stretch.  She enjoys her job so that is agreeable with her.  Me?  I'd be ok walking away.  FIRE has come into focus for me and I really question if I can go another 9 years.  My hope is to get enough into the brokerage account over the next year or two so I'm comfortable knowing the kids can get through college without loans.  We have been maxing out 401k for a while and started maxing out vanguard IRAs last year.  I hope to start putting 1k each week into the vanguard brokerage account starting next month.  We started together some 24 years ago on 28k salary and made it work.  We've been fortunate with a lot of hard work and luck to be in a much better position today.

Welcome aboard!.. You're in great shape financially.

you can get at your 401k/IRAs prior to 59.5 by using the SEPP 72(t) rule. This would give you a min 5 year flow of money free of penalty.

Personally I would also prefer stuffing the brokerage account too until you are ready to quit. The reason being is you can then live off of that after tax money and minimise your income/maximise your ACA subsidy if you choose to go that route for healthcare.

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1408 on: July 22, 2019, 01:45:19 PM »
her.  Me?  I'd be ok walking away.  FIRE has come into focus for me and I really question if I can go another 9 years.  My hope is to get enough into the brokerage account over the next

Good to have you hear! As a fellow IT person, I have generally had good jobs in my career. At age 49, my plan was to continue to work as long as they would let me. However, things absolutely do get a bit harder after your mid 50s in this field.

Like @Exflyboy , I also think you are absolutely on the right track - you can definitely start putting more money into after-tax savings and investments. Hope your emergency funds are adequate as well (as per your own subjective criteria).

jeroly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1409 on: July 22, 2019, 02:15:31 PM »
Greetings All,

you can get at your 401k/IRAs prior to 59.5 by using the SEPP 72(t) rule. This would give you a min 5 year flow of money free of penalty.

Personally I would also prefer stuffing the brokerage account too until you are ready to quit. The reason being is you can then live off of that after tax money and minimise your income/maximise your ACA subsidy if you choose to go that route for healthcare.
You can also get at the $$$ in your last 401(k) without penalty once you're over 55.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1410 on: July 22, 2019, 02:42:21 PM »
Greetings All,

You can also get at the $$$ in your last 401(k) without penalty once you're over 55.

Be careful though, many 401k plans have pretty restrictive rules around the 55 rule. My last 401k place would only let you take the entire 401k balance as a single payment after 55.

The tax bill would be brutal!

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1411 on: July 22, 2019, 05:02:09 PM »

- The Big Snip -

Be careful though, many 401k plans have pretty restrictive rules around the 55 rule. My last 401k place would only let you take the entire 401k balance as a single payment after 55.

[/quote]

Aren't you allowed to roll some of it back into another 401K or maybe another retirement vehicle? 

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1412 on: July 22, 2019, 06:19:07 PM »

- The Big Snip -

Aren't you allowed to roll some of it back into another 401K or maybe another retirement vehicle?
[/quote]

Not into a previous 401k.. as you would have left that company.

You can roll part of it into an IRA though.

The problem of course is that once in the IRA it is then stuck until 59.5. In this case the 401k 55 rule only works one time.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1413 on: July 23, 2019, 04:09:58 AM »
Welcome @sonoranson!

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1414 on: July 23, 2019, 10:59:26 AM »
Greetings All,

Is the house paid off?  Do you have any thoughts about college with respect to FAFSA?  Putting money in to pay off the house is a great way to "hide" money from FAFSA.  Any thoughts on where college will be.....or what you're willing to pay?

I ask all this with one currently taking some summer classes, then finishing during the upcoming fall semester at private....usually $70k per year college and the other starting community college in the fall.  It's really the only reason I still work at all.  For me it's $2.5M with the house paid off long ago.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 09:16:05 AM by Car Jack »

sonoranson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1415 on: July 23, 2019, 11:41:13 AM »
House was paid off 3 years ago?  We put at 11kw solar array on the roof a few years ago and own it outright.  Most months my electric is <35 bucks in the Phoenix area.  No installment payments of any sort.  Kids will get steered towards in state or a school that's part of the Western US in state cooperative agreement.  NAU in Flagstaff offers a lumberjack scholarship.  If you get B's or better in all your high school core classes AND graduate with an unweighted gpa of 3.5 or higher, the tuition gets picked up by them.  I think ASU and AU may have similar programs but haven't looked into that yet.  Our plan right now is to stuff the brokerage account with as much as possible until we have to redirect to bankrolling college.  I have an incoming  junior and a freshman.  I figure at least the first year is covered for both with 529's.  Intent is to not touch the brokerage account but there will be plenty there in case we have no choice.  The oldest is 11th in her class of 275 and the youngest has been straight A's since 1st grade.  I've cautioned my wife that there are a ton of high schools in the state and they all have a top ten.  We'd be naive to assume our kids will get merit scholarships and not plan for the actuality of it not happening and being caught short.  I do believe they are going to have to come to the table and have part of it on their shoulders.  A true understanding that they have skin in the game.  I'm not sure what that looks like yet but we do want to make sure they don't just get to coast through 4 years.  That doesn't help them out at all.

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1416 on: July 24, 2019, 11:38:54 AM »
I think I'll come hang out in this thread.  I'm guessing most of you here have been higher income earners, and while having a great savings rate, aren't living on rice and beans.   It feels more moderate than some other threads.

I believe we 'technically' qualify, if I include value of hubby's defined benefit pension.  Our investment accounts have been hovering just under the $2 million, but I calculate his DB pension to be worth the equivalent $500K-$600K based on expected payout.  Our retirement date is planned for mid next year when he's eligible for a reduced DB pension.  I'm struggling with OMY syndrome for a couple of reasons; fear of the unknown,  I'm part of an incentive program at work whereby if I leave mid year next year I walk away from a not insignificant amount of money, I enjoy my job (working from home is great), I can probably swing part-time if I can figure out how to not work full time hours and get paid part-time (having some work/life balance issues - again, partly because I enjoy the work)

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
Race from $2M to $3M.....and beyond!
« Reply #1417 on: July 24, 2019, 03:56:58 PM »
Welcome @bluebelle! I’m not sure we belong here either but I lurk just the same. We have $1.5ish in investment accounts and cash but the rest of our net worth is “only” a paid-off house.

Lots of different ways to be financially independent and/or retire early (or not)!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 06:01:43 PM by jengod »

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1418 on: July 24, 2019, 04:35:42 PM »
Record highs for stock market AGAIN today.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/24/us-stock-futures-cautiously-lower-amid-further-us-china-meetings.html

"Welcome @bluebelle! I’m not sure we belong here but either but I lurk just the same."

Where would all these rich people be without the rest of us?

To be honest with these stock market rises, I'm running into this crowd.

JoJoP

• Bristles
« Reply #1419 on: July 24, 2019, 05:20:55 PM »
Boy, we're getting a big boost in membership this month.  Welcome @bluebelle , @sonoranson , @PowerStache , @2sk22 @jengod, and anyone else who joined, if I didn't scroll back far enough to see your post.   It's so nice to see this thread thrive. 

You'll all be proud of me:  I sent a buncha money over to Fidelity, stuck it in bonds, and resisted the urge (so far) to buy a condo in a major European city. (Such a low entry price point! Great returns even after maintenance and management fees!  A home base over the pond!!!)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 05:30:31 PM by JoJoP »

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #1420 on: July 25, 2019, 03:32:39 AM »
Welcome @bluebell ! Having a part time gig can be a good way to ease yourself into being Fire'd and take some of the worry out even if you dont have to worry. I myself have been Fire'd about 4.5 years and this year decided to take a few cash jobs but only as I feel like it and only what and when I want to do something. Some extra pocket money.

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1421 on: July 25, 2019, 12:51:44 PM »
I quit my megacorp job and yesterday was my last day there. As I mentioned earlier, I'm not fully retired as I'll be working in a startup in the fall but I do get 6 weeks off. But still, this will be my longest break since I started working in in the early 90s!

When I was making the rounds to say goodbye, a lot of people wistfully told me that they wish they could quit too. I referred them to MMM and gave a little pitch for FIRE - think I got a few converts :-)

Went for a beer with the team to a small bar in the East Village (office is in the lower east side in Manhattan). Glad to be done with that chapter !

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1422 on: July 25, 2019, 02:03:32 PM »
I quit my megacorp job and yesterday was my last day there. As I mentioned earlier, I'm not fully retired as I'll be working in a startup in the fall but I do get 6 weeks off. But still, this will be my longest break since I started working in in the early 90s!

When I was making the rounds to say goodbye, a lot of people wistfully told me that they wish they could quit too. I referred them to MMM and gave a little pitch for FIRE - think I got a few converts :-)

Went for a beer with the team to a small bar in the East Village (office is in the lower east side in Manhattan). Glad to be done with that chapter !

Nice and congrats..:)

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1423 on: July 25, 2019, 02:49:18 PM »

Thanks! Looking at your journal, I just realized that we are almost exactly the same age. I wish I had discovered FIRE sooner and had planned for it a bit more more actively. To fair though, I was actually having fun in my job until about the middle of last year. And even with my haphazard planning, things worked out. Ah well, at least I can help my daughters to plan better :-)

JoJoP

• Bristles
« Reply #1424 on: July 25, 2019, 07:06:36 PM »

Glad to be done with that chapter !

Very nice!  Thanks for sharing that with us... in spirit, we're whooping it up right alongside of you! 

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1425 on: July 25, 2019, 07:15:15 PM »

Thanks! Looking at your journal, I just realized that we are almost exactly the same age. I wish I had discovered FIRE sooner and had planned for it a bit more more actively. To fair though, I was actually having fun in my job until about the middle of last year. And even with my haphazard planning, things worked out. Ah well, at least I can help my daughters to plan better :-)

Oh don't worry, we are still young enough to get the WTF stares from people when we say we're retired.

The biggest problem is going to meetups when young Mustacians feel they need to offer you their chair and the like..:)

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1426 on: July 25, 2019, 08:13:11 PM »
I just heard on a WCI podcast today that there isn’t actually an age requirement for joining the AARP.
Maybe you should do that to really make people do a double take. :)

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1427 on: July 25, 2019, 09:29:25 PM »
I just heard on a WCI podcast today that there isn’t actually an age requirement for joining the AARP.

I joined at 48.  Discounts definitely pay off.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1428 on: July 25, 2019, 09:56:35 PM »
Yup we get our insurance through the Hartford via the AARP.. Best deal around.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1429 on: July 26, 2019, 08:36:00 AM »

AARP started sending me fliers to join when I was in my 30's.  I ended up joining when looking at hotel discounts for a vacation we were taking.  That particular hotel offered AARP discounts but not AAA and the hotel points club discount didn't come close.  Membership for a year was easily paid with a single night discount.

Since that time, I've found no discounts AARP got me that I couldn't get with AAA or hotel clubs.   Dunkin Donuts no longer gives a free donut for the AARP card with a large coffee, so I let my membership lapse.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1430 on: July 26, 2019, 09:56:20 AM »

AARP started sending me fliers to join when I was in my 30's.  I ended up joining when looking at hotel discounts for a vacation we were taking.  That particular hotel offered AARP discounts but not AAA and the hotel points club discount didn't come close.  Membership for a year was easily paid with a single night discount.

Since that time, I've found no discounts AARP got me that I couldn't get with AAA or hotel clubs.   Dunkin Donuts no longer gives a free donut for the AARP card with a large coffee, so I let my membership lapse.
Probably better for your health, lol.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1431 on: July 26, 2019, 10:52:25 AM »
Did you ever get any funny looks for pulling the card out?

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1432 on: July 26, 2019, 08:16:59 PM »
Well for the first time I crossed over the $1.8 million milestone in liquid assets.

That's exciting and fun to experience.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1433 on: July 26, 2019, 08:21:38 PM »
Not a very Mustacian day for me.  I went and did it, I  bought a  new bicycle.  I just ordered a Trek Stache 7 mountain bike.  I got it on the 2019 clearance sale and saved about $500.  At nearly a 20% drop in price I bought it. I hope to in 2021, travel on this bike 2,700 miles and 185,000 feet of elevation climbing from the Canadian to Mexican border.  The offroad route is newly established and called the Wild West Route.  FIRE is coming!

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1434 on: July 26, 2019, 08:24:03 PM »
Well for the first time I crossed over the $1.8 million milestone in liquid assets.

That's exciting and fun to experience.
The power of our assets here in the advanced class is mind blowing.  Congratulations!

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1435 on: July 26, 2019, 08:29:19 PM »
Thank you Bateux and I hope you enjoy your bicycle. You more than earned it. Please be careful and no more daredevil stunts.

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1436 on: July 27, 2019, 02:45:03 PM »
Not a very Mustacian day for me.  I went and did it, I  bought a  new bicycle.  I just ordered a Trek Stache 7 mountain bike.  I got it on the 2019 clearance sale and saved about $500.  At nearly a 20% drop in price I bought it. I hope to in 2021, travel on this bike 2,700 miles and 185,000 feet of elevation climbing from the Canadian to Mexican border.  The offroad route is newly established and called the Wild West Route.  FIRE is coming!

I dunno, it has a certain mustachian element to it. Be honest, did the branding have any impact on your purchase decision? :-)

Anyway, the ride sounds terrific! Are you planning on riding solo or in a group?

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1437 on: July 27, 2019, 03:22:58 PM »
Did you ever get any funny looks for pulling the card out?

Naaaah.  Think about servers at Dunkin'.  Most of them see anyone over 29 as being 90.

I don't eat donuts, but my son will.  Now, if they gave me a muffin, that would be different.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1438 on: July 27, 2019, 04:17:38 PM »

It WILL be an adventure.

I read this book a few years back about a very long bike ride.  Maybe you can tell us how your trip went.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/343994.Miles_from_Nowhere

That's what the money is for.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1439 on: July 27, 2019, 04:18:22 PM »

I dunno, it has a certain mustachian element to it. Be honest, did the branding have any impact on your purchase decision? :-)

Anyway, the ride sounds terrific! Are you planning on riding solo or in a group?

This will be a group trip.  I'll be the least experienced one on the group.  That's why I'm getting the bike set up now so that I can start training.   I've been a backpacker a long time but bikepacking in a new world to me.  Ive done some short paved touring but not offroad.  My first endurance training will be a 100 mile backpacking trip to the Smokies in September.   That will help me lose some weight and get in better shape before adding a bike to my travels.  By October hopefully I can do a multiday offroad trip with the bike. 

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1440 on: July 27, 2019, 04:24:29 PM »

It WILL be an adventure.

I read this book a few years back about a very long bike ride.  Maybe you can tell us how your trip went.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/343994.Miles_from_Nowhere

That's what the money is for.

I'll have to search for that book.  The money is certainly for this.  I haven't bought a bike in over a decade and I have thousands of miles on the ones I have.   Hopefully I'm making the right bike choice.  There are many capable bikes out there.  I.decided to.go with a front suspension hardtail bike versus a solid frame bike.  Being over 50 now having a bit of comfort seems inviting.  It will.make it a bit harder to rig and invite more mechanical things that could go wrong. 

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1441 on: July 28, 2019, 10:42:12 AM »
The books's been around for a while.  Libraries may have copies.  I read it about the time I bought my last bike.  I won't give the date, but it has a Chrome Moly frame.  Aluminum frames were still new.  I am due a new bicycle.  Another good idea for when I pull the plug.  Maybe build one up from a used frame.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1442 on: July 28, 2019, 11:15:48 AM »
The books's been around for a while.  Libraries may have copies.  I read it about the time I bought my last bike.  I won't give the date, but it has a Chrome Moly frame.  Aluminum frames were still new.  I am due a new bicycle.  Another good idea for when I pull the plug.  Maybe build one up from a used frame.

I bought an Aluminum frame, but Cromoly is still in use and I highly considered one.  The Surly ECR is a steel offroad bike I almost bought.  It will take you anywhere in the world.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #1443 on: July 31, 2019, 04:39:58 AM »

This will be a group trip.  I'll be the least experienced one on the group.  That's why I'm getting the bike set up now so that I can start training.   I've been a backpacker a long time but bikepacking in a new world to me.  Ive done some short paved touring but not offroad.  My first endurance training will be a 100 mile backpacking trip to the Smokies in September.   That will help me lose some weight and get in better shape before adding a bike to my travels.  By October hopefully I can do a multiday offroad trip with the bike.

on my bucket list is to do each summer a leg of the Appalachian trail before I get too damn old. Almost 55 now so going to start planning it for next spring.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1444 on: July 31, 2019, 07:39:42 PM »

on my bucket list is to do each summer a leg of the Appalachian trail before I get too damn old. Almost 55 now so going to start planning it for next spring.

I'm going to piece together the AT, but maybe I'll get to thruhike the PCT.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1445 on: August 01, 2019, 04:58:45 AM »

-SNIP-

I'm going to piece together the AT, but maybe I'll get to thruhike the PCT.

That was another book I read recently about this woman who hiked the Pacific Crest Trail most of it anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild:_From_Lost_to_Found_on_the_Pacific_Crest_Trail

I can see you will enjoy this retirement thing.  You won't rot in a chair.

jeroly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1446 on: August 01, 2019, 09:00:23 AM »

I'd be interested in doing 2-3 week segments over the next few springs or summers.  60yo FIREd M here, reasonably fit.  Maybe starting in GA and heading N in pieces.

Message me if interested in talking about a plan!

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1447 on: August 01, 2019, 09:02:35 PM »
Does that mean you'll be sleeping in a tent along the trail ?

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1448 on: August 02, 2019, 12:04:34 AM »

Yep!  You coming with us? 

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #1449 on: August 02, 2019, 01:59:42 AM »

Yep!  You coming with us? 

I'd be interested in doing 2-3 week segments over the next few springs or summers.  60yo FIREd M here, reasonably fit.  Maybe starting in GA and heading N in pieces.

Message me if interested in talking about a plan!

The more the merrier. Will have to do some research/Homework. I was actually thinking about starting on the North end and working down but either way. I just want to get in the mountains sooner the better. Tent camping or I believe there are plenty of places you can get to stay in a night or two to grab a shower etc.. Again something to start looking into/Research.