Author Topic: Race from $2M to $4M...and Beyond!  (Read 1269871 times)

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
Re: Race from $2M to $4M...and Beyond!
« Reply #2800 on: April 07, 2020, 04:18:22 PM »
This has been one hell of a crazy market lately but sure feels better on up days when we get them!

I know right.. On days like these you can say I have "Only" lost $400k...:)

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2801 on: April 08, 2020, 08:22:06 AM »
This has been one hell of a crazy market lately but sure feels better on up days when we get them!

Down about 220K from the absolute high.  Still up on one year 8 percent.  I'm maybe doing some tweek sellimg today of individual stocks.  Trying to homogenize the patchwork quilt of my portfolio.

jeroly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2802 on: April 08, 2020, 10:53:48 AM »
I'm somewhat annoyed at myself for spacing out and not taking advantage of the big drop in value to sell some of my holdings which are a bit of a hodgepodge (8% VFSAX, 66% MGV, 11% VOT, 12% VIG, 3% individual stocks) and rationalize towards a 'three fund portfolio' by moving the $'s into VTI and VEU.

It's especially tempting to do so now that I have the additional headroom of no RMDs this year (I've got an inherited IRA) so I can harvest about $20K of capital gains tax-free (I've got other investment income).

If the market tanks again I'll definitely take the opportunity, otherwise I'll move what I can at the end of the year.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2803 on: April 08, 2020, 12:13:36 PM »
We're still just a smidge over the $4M mark, but I haven't seen a reduction of property value, and I'm expecting that will drop us below when that comes through.

I'm expecting we will spend significantly less than planned on travel this year, but also expecting our options (autosale every month as part of my compensation) will be worth significantly less, and expecting a smaller bonus as well. I've reforecasted my "FIRE" date to be more conservative, given my husband & I have both come to terms with the fact that we want to have more options & security in our plans before we cut that cord. The pandemic has certainly made us both less risk averse.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #2804 on: April 09, 2020, 03:30:33 AM »

Down about 220K from the absolute high.  Still up on one year 8 percent.  I'm maybe doing some tweek sellimg today of individual stocks.  Trying to homogenize the patchwork quilt of my portfolio.

I'm almost exactly 10% down from all time highs. 9. Something. Also Holding nothing currently in my 1% fun trading fund as of yesterdays two day run up.

Futures in the Green yet again nearly 500 points. S&P 40 , this is interesting to me especially if this holds throughout the day
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 07:28:41 AM by soccerluvof4 »

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2805 on: April 09, 2020, 11:20:47 AM »
I'm just glad to be back in the $2M (liquid) club.

I can't see how the fed can keep pumping $2T+ every couple of weeks (and the same amount being thrown on the national debt pile is sustainable for very long.

My next buy point is 2100 on the S&P

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2806 on: April 09, 2020, 11:28:03 AM »
I'm just glad to be back in the $2M (liquid) club.

I can't see how the fed can keep pumping $2T+ every couple of weeks (and the same amount being thrown on the national debt pile is sustainable for very long.

My next buy point is 2100 on the S&P

Yeah, I don't know how it plays out.  I really don't understand why the SP500 has recovered so much - I mean 2900 was kind of a fair value when the economy was stable/slowing and just before fed cut rates in 2019.   Now there are trillions sloshing around most of it will be wasted and yet there still is no end in site to this or clarity on the overall economic impact and future earnings.   

And even when we do pull out of this how do we pull back/unwind this - shit we never unwound the crap from the financial crisis.   

Low rates forever, I suppose.   Increased taxes are almost a certainty once agent orange is out.  So many people will be focused on their own economic recovery before they can spend for growth.   

IDK

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2807 on: April 09, 2020, 12:31:14 PM »

I did about 100k of selling today with this rally.   Not sure I'll buy back other than DCA which right now is about 50 % of paycheck.   I foresee another huge leg down after this fools rally works out.  The Fed has to run out of bullets soon or capitalism must be declared dead.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2808 on: April 09, 2020, 01:33:56 PM »

I did about 100k of selling today with this rally.   Not sure I'll buy back other than DCA which right now is about 50 % of paycheck.   I foresee another huge leg down after this fools rally works out.  The Fed has to run out of bullets soon or capitalism must be declared dead.

Bottom is in!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #2809 on: April 09, 2020, 01:57:18 PM »

Bottom is in!

Be nice ... Over the next several months the downside appears to be limited by the scope and size of the Fed's stimulus and the upside is likely limited by the magnitude of the necessary financial relief packages and the massive rise in the U.S. debt load that will, in time, adversely impact economic growth.

We have all become Japan now.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 02:00:58 PM by soccerluvof4 »

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2810 on: April 09, 2020, 03:32:42 PM »
Where the heck is everyone?  Entertain me dammit.  You're supposed to be home.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #2811 on: April 09, 2020, 04:11:57 PM »
2 weeks??

Yup.  That's my opinion.  But I am an eternal optimist.  We will see.

That's not eternal optimism, that's delusion.   30 more days minimum and probably more like 90 days.   

Well, consider me deluded if you like.  But to be clear (which I probably wasn't 100% in my original post), I think that sometime in the next two weeks some non-coronavirus headline will be the main headline on the main news websites.  See quote below with emphasis added.

I do think the virus will be with us indefinitely, and I do think we'll continue to have new cases and deaths for months, and I do think it will be in the news for a long time.

I am very curious to see how long the various restrictions, accommodations, and cancellations will remain in effect.  For example, my kids are in college and high school and they're all doing the virtual learning thing this semester.  What about this summer and this fall?  I don't know.  Also, will all of them subside at various rates and at various points in time, or will we decide everything is fine all at once?

I'm planning to finally retire this Spring so the fall of stock prices concern me.  However, the causes seem to be temporary this time.  The price of oil will inevitably return to it's higher state.  People cannot hide away from this virus forever.  It's not the Bubonic plague where a major portion of the populace will be removed.  People will only hide away with their hoarded toilet paper so long until the bullsh#t flag is raised and schools will reopen and business will return to normal.  I figure a maximum of 2 months.

My son and I were discussing this last night on our apocalypse run to the grocery store (limited outages, generally not the end of the world, found everything we wanted except the kind of bottled water we prefer, and butter).

I think it will be much shorter - probably on the order of two weeks.

We also discussed what metric we would use to decide when things have subsided.  We decided one good metric would be what the top news headline of the day is.  He also opined that people in general can't remain scared of one topic for very long, and so the media out of necessity will switch to something else (plane crash, war, mass shooting, something like that would be my guess as to what will dislodge stupidVirus from page 1).

My "on the order of 2 weeks" thought was two weeks ago.  I thought I would check to see how things turned out.

One of the main websites I watch is cnn.com.  Both today and yesterday, their format is three columns at the top.  The first two, both today and yesterday, relate to coronavirus.  The third one in the top right, both yesterday and today, have been bad weather stories (this morning it was a tornado somewhere in I believe Arkansas).  Whoops, now it's announcing the death of a TV soap opera actor.

So I agree that the top news headline is still the coronavirus, but I also think that we are seeing signs of the media reporting on other topics.  I will also admit I was wrong about the type of story that would (partially) dislodge the virus.

Today, 3 1/2 weeks later, the second and third columns on cnn.com are about Biden's VP pick and a famous LGBTQ person dying of natural causes at age 95, respectively.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2812 on: April 09, 2020, 05:03:02 PM »
Today, 3 1/2 weeks later, the second and third columns on cnn.com are about Biden's VP pick and a famous LGBTQ person dying of natural causes at age 95, respectively.

That's not what I'm currently seeing on cnn.com - first column is 'The red tape that crippled the US's virus response' and all coronavirus below that, second column is 'White House coronavirus task force briefing' / 'Obama to mayors on coronavirus: 'The biggest mistake any us can make in these situations is to misinform'', and the third column is Biden's VP pick.  Still a whole lotta' coronavirus coverage with a smattering of other stuff.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2813 on: April 09, 2020, 05:20:30 PM »
Well, I'm still working long days on "essential infrastructure."  It would be nice to be home.  I still hope to retire when this project is complete.

Tell me if my thinking is wrong.  You folks aren't shy so I suspect you will.  And,....that's OK.

I go to the grocery stores and see empty shelves.

Looks like the inventory of many things are depleted.

People have stocked up with basics and are running lean.

When this is over all that inventory will need to be filled.  When people start working and getting their paychecks, they will not want to go lean as they are rather tired of it.  They will be willing to take that new paycheck and spend it on what they've been lacking.  Seems like this will apply to many things.

When this is over, won't the economy rebound with a great fervor?

Despite all of the emotional character of the stock market, I like to think that it is ultimately based on the buying and selling taking place in the economy at large.  I think we are rounding the bend of the dark tunnel and the bright light is ahead.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2814 on: April 09, 2020, 05:57:57 PM »
On a different note, I just watched the episode on Netflix's "Dirty Money", titled Guardian Inc.

It's about how court systems attempt to declare elderly, but competent individuals, incapacitated. In being declared incapacitated a legal guardian is appointed, and the guardian proceeds to pillage the estate of the elderly person, now called the "ward" of the state.
This seems to happen to elderly people in their late 70's to early 80's. 
Just shocking and disturbing.

Raise good kids.

Actually, the people who got the investigation rolling were children, whose parents had been "stolen" and who were threatened with "you'll never see your parents again" if they didn't stop trying to recover assets for their parents.  The state laws allow total strangers to take guardianship over elderly

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2815 on: April 09, 2020, 07:39:16 PM »
Well, I'm still working long days on "essential infrastructure."  It would be nice to be home.  I still hope to retire when this project is complete.

Tell me if my thinking is wrong.  You folks aren't shy so I suspect you will.  And,....that's OK.

When this is over all that inventory will need to be filled.  When people start working and getting their paychecks, they will not want to go lean as they are rather tired of it.  They will be willing to take that new paycheck and spend it on what they've been lacking.  Seems like this will apply to many things.

Despite all of the emotional character of the stock market, I like to think that it is ultimately based on the buying and selling taking place in the economy at large.  I think we are rounding the bend of the dark tunnel and the bright light is ahead.

Bursting at the seams here with stuff.  Not much missing in stores locally and all restaurants doing take out.  River in front of the house is full of boat traffic.  Louisiana has twice the death rate of New York.  Let the good times roll.
  Laissez les bons temps rouler

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2816 on: April 09, 2020, 08:25:11 PM »

Bursting at the seams here with stuff.  Not much missing in stores locally and all restaurants doing take out.  River in front of the house is full of boat traffic.  Louisiana has twice the death rate of New York.  Let the good times roll.

Similar situation in Houston, we don't really feel deprived per se, things are just different.  I think this might be more of a reset on people's consumer-centric lifestyle, like maybe that wasn't the magic ingredient needed for survival.  It'll be a 'nice to have' when the malls reopen and sit down restaurants are 'the full experience' again, but  I certainly don't anticipate some 'pent up demand' splurging a la the end of WWII.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2817 on: April 09, 2020, 10:35:29 PM »

Totally off topic, but that phrase always sounds off to me. I finally got around to googling it and sure enough, it is a calque (new vocabulary for me also), meaning it is a word-for-word translation that brings along with it grammar from one language that doesn’t necessarily work in the second language.

I’m glad I got that sorted out after all this time. 

Some better translations proposed by the internets:

Prenons du bon temps.
Que la fête commence.

Or

Éclatons-nous!

:)

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #2818 on: April 10, 2020, 03:28:46 AM »

Similar situation in Houston, we don't really feel deprived per se, things are just different.  I think this might be more of a reset on people's consumer-centric lifestyle, like maybe that wasn't the magic ingredient needed for survival.  It'll be a 'nice to have' when the malls reopen and sit down restaurants are 'the full experience' again, but  I certainly don't anticipate some 'pent up demand' splurging a la the end of WWII.

well put! and yea in Wisconsin other than TP which even that you can get now and disinfectants our shelves are stocked. But their is kinda an eerie  feeling out there I guess is the only way I can put it. But its good in that everyone seems to be practicing social distancing and wearing masks etc..

Biggest change I have noticed is all the places I walk or ride my bike etc.. are packed and with alot of people not from the area I live in.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2819 on: April 10, 2020, 11:57:27 AM »
Biggest change I have noticed is all the places I walk or ride my bike etc.. are packed and with alot of people not from the area I live in.
DH has been saying the same thing. My conclusion is that people have more time, so they're walking greater distances. I like to think they're all neighbors. On our (long) walks, we wave and say hi to everyone, walking, bike riding, or driving. We also wear masks and tightly woven clothing, not knits.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2820 on: April 10, 2020, 04:31:25 PM »
I'm surprised the stores are well stocked.  I've been working in Cleveland and the shelves are surprisingly empty on certain items.  I guess that is not true universally .  Of course, I've only frequented a few stores.  Maybe, the economy will not get a "bounce" when this is over because everyone's funds may be depleted.

If the bike paths and walking trails are packed, maybe this break is giving a double health bonus.  The first is to avoid the Corona Virus and the second is an opportunity to exercise.

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2821 on: April 11, 2020, 12:04:09 PM »
Here in Dubai we have had a full lock down for the past week. We are not even allowed outside of our front door without a permit,

Getting a permit to go the the supermarket alone (going with your partner is not allowed) is straight forward. We apply on-line and get SMS approval within a couple of hours. Gerneally life continues in a calm and organised way.

Our supermarkets are still fully stocked with almost everything. A few items like good quality flour has become hard to get. But overall, There is no problem to get almost whatever you could want.

We used to be able to get groceries home delivered as a same day service, but now due to the demand, you have to wait 8 days. This is a small inconvenience.

We had to buy a printer today and found out that there is a shortage of home office equipment in the country. I hadn’t thought about there being a run on such equipment, but it makes sense.

The UAE, being what it is, means we don’t have a lot of information about what is going on in the country, but there are some videos circulating showing hints of growing unrest (well behaved protests) amongst communities of Pakistan and Indians who have lost there jobs but can’t repatriate due to borders being firmly closed in their home countries.

I imagine this has the potential to blow up into a major problem.

Dubai has a population of around 3million, and only around 300,000 are Emirati. The other 2.7 million call other countries home. There is no social security for these 2.7 million from the UAE government. No taxes = no public services..

I can only imagine there must be at least 15% of residents here now unemployed, or around 400,000 people that now have no income and probably many want to leave Dubai. Whilst western countries are allowing citizens to return home, this is not the case for all developing countries. Indian and Pakistani nationals make up the majority of residents here, so it could quickly become complicated. I understand the UAE govt is negotiating with India/ Pakistan to find a solution.

The level of infections across the world is still quite minor so I am growing increasingly fearful that international borders will remain shut for a long time. If this is the case I worry about Dubai. If people are no longer travelling a city that primarily exists as an international hub and tourist city is no longer required.

The real frustration here is that it will be at least another month before we get visibility how/ when the world will start to reopen and what this will mean for Dubai.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2822 on: April 13, 2020, 07:24:35 AM »
I rebalanced from bonds into stocks at some point when I hit my 5% band.  Watching the slow run up, I could see another rebalance back into bonds from stocks in the next month.  At 51.38% stocks before the open.  My target is 50/50.  I have added money into the market during this time.....$5k savings bonds from my federal refund and some cash into equity.  Maybe a few hundred dollars at this point.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #2823 on: April 14, 2020, 04:01:42 AM »
Here in Dubai we have had a full lock down for the past week. We are not even allowed outside of our front door without a permit,

Getting a permit to go the the supermarket alone (going with your partner is not allowed) is straight forward. We apply on-line and get SMS approval within a couple of hours. Gerneally life continues in a calm and organised way.

Our supermarkets are still fully stocked with almost everything. A few items like good quality flour has become hard to get. But overall, There is no problem to get almost whatever you could want.

We used to be able to get groceries home delivered as a same day service, but now due to the demand, you have to wait 8 days. This is a small inconvenience.

We had to buy a printer today and found out that there is a shortage of home office equipment in the country. I hadn’t thought about there being a run on such equipment, but it makes sense.

The UAE, being what it is, means we don’t have a lot of information about what is going on in the country, but there are some videos circulating showing hints of growing unrest (well behaved protests) amongst communities of Pakistan and Indians who have lost there jobs but can’t repatriate due to borders being firmly closed in their home countries.

I imagine this has the potential to blow up into a major problem.

Dubai has a population of around 3million, and only around 300,000 are Emirati. The other 2.7 million call other countries home. There is no social security for these 2.7 million from the UAE government. No taxes = no public services..

I can only imagine there must be at least 15% of residents here now unemployed, or around 400,000 people that now have no income and probably many want to leave Dubai. Whilst western countries are allowing citizens to return home, this is not the case for all developing countries. Indian and Pakistani nationals make up the majority of residents here, so it could quickly become complicated. I understand the UAE govt is negotiating with India/ Pakistan to find a solution.

The level of infections across the world is still quite minor so I am growing increasingly fearful that international borders will remain shut for a long time. If this is the case I worry about Dubai. If people are no longer travelling a city that primarily exists as an international hub and tourist city is no longer required.

The real frustration here is that it will be at least another month before we get visibility how/ when the world will start to reopen and what this will mean for Dubai.

Well good luck to ya! Said in our news here in my state of WI that were up to 174 Deaths but they feel are at peak and flattening curve BUT we wont be getting any freedoms back any time soon. 

Not a lot of volatility in the Market yesterday or should i say at least not 1,000 point swing so from that perspective at least it was a good day. Think for the market to climb any higher or of substance were going to need alot of good things to happen but it is what it is. Right now lets get people healthy!

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2824 on: April 14, 2020, 04:33:30 AM »
Can this market crash be the expected "correction" that we've been warned about for years or are there further problems in the market which just haven't come to fruition yet?  There is a lot of debt that might not be repaid.

Much Fishing to Do

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2825 on: April 14, 2020, 12:04:55 PM »
Can this market crash be the expected "correction" that we've been warned about for years or are there further problems in the market which just haven't come to fruition yet?  There is a lot of debt that might not be repaid.

Doubt you can look at any of this that cleanly.  I think there are definitely affects of the shutdown not expected in the expected correction.... And heck, why wasn't the 19% drop in the S&P500 in Q4 2018 not viewed as the "expected correction" and this as a blip other than the fact we're in this one today so still scared about it?  (we were down further from the high on Christmas eve '18 than we are from the recent highs today)

Herbert Derp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2826 on: April 15, 2020, 12:41:19 AM »
I'm still here! Take that, coronavirus! Earned a whopping $1,500 over the last two months lol

11/23/2012: $45,000.00
08/03/2013: $100,000.00
01/01/2016: $408,896.04
01/01/2017: $617,283.09
06/06/2017: $758,104.40
10/15/2017: $856,488.71
11/18/2017: $929,536.54
11/27/2017: $944,395.35
12/17/2017: $956,928.07
01/01/2018: $968,307.87
01/05/2018: $987,442.11
01/08/2018: $996,215.32
01/09/2018: $998,819.79
01/10/2018: $999,079.24
01/11/2018: $1,003,101.34
02/01/2018: $1,061,732.89
02/28/2018: $1,062,750.48
05/18/2018: $1,149,432.76
06/06/2018: $1,203,026.63
07/11/2018: $1,232,435.26
08/02/2018: $1,269,509.32
09/01/2018: $1,326,015.73
03/05/2019: $1,327,833.14
06/10/2019: $1,462,549.50
07/07/2019: $1,519,162.03
12/14/2019: $1,628,320.78
01/01/2020: $1,705,284.27
02/02/2020: $1,838,397.87
02/13/2020: $1,961,653.87
02/19/2020: $2,000,505.43
04/14/2020: $2,002,087.12

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #2827 on: April 15, 2020, 04:29:57 AM »

Doubt you can look at any of this that cleanly.  I think there are definitely affects of the shutdown not expected in the expected correction.... And heck, why wasn't the 19% drop in the S&P500 in Q4 2018 not viewed as the "expected correction" and this as a blip other than the fact we're in this one today so still scared about it?  (we were down further from the high on Christmas eve '18 than we are from the recent highs today)

Yeah, Bottom line in my view is nobody knows anything as this is all new and past data just doesnt matter. The one good thing though that will have long term consequences if were not careful is the Fed keeping the market up. I am for it but we just dont know enough yet to really know how long to this is going to play out so you have all these Big money managers making models on basically there best guess on a recovery. The longer we go though the harder its going to be to get back to where we were imo.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #2828 on: April 15, 2020, 04:30:36 AM »
I'm still here! Take that, coronavirus! Earned a whopping $1,500 over the last two months lol

Well done!

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2829 on: April 15, 2020, 11:13:16 AM »
@Herbert Derp $2M at 29 years old.. Outstanding!

I'm at about the same value but of course I came down from above..:)

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2830 on: April 15, 2020, 05:30:23 PM »

Well done!

I'd thought we'd kicked his ass to the curb.  The little shit is still here.  🥰

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2831 on: April 15, 2020, 05:36:22 PM »
Made a tiny buy today.  Finally finished funding the 2019 Roth for my wife.  Thought that April 15 would be the last day.  A financial professional friend corrected me.  We have till July 15, 2020 to fund 2019 IRAs.  I'm sure those of you elligble have already done so.  Just tossing the information out there.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #2832 on: April 16, 2020, 04:47:30 AM »
I wasnt going to take any withdrawals until this virus passed and live off my cash but I put quite a bit in on the dip so on the ramp up on Tuesdays I took 2 months out of my 3% Fired withdraw I have been using. I like being cash heavy right now as at the very least i feel were stuck in a trading range for awhile. I havent been able to buy a single stock either in my 1% fun trading account as were at the top of the range in my view of 2800 on the S&P. Maybe more consolidation and better news on things I might to nibble a bit but not yet.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2833 on: April 17, 2020, 12:46:00 PM »
Where the hell is everybody?  I come here looking for whit and wisdom.  What do I find?  Nothing.   Herbert Derp has made at least another 100K since he's posted.    This is a crazy bear market, it is still a bear right?  Hell, I'm not Herbert Derp and I'm up 250K year over year.  They should be rigging suicide prevention nets on buildings now. You're killing me with boredom.  By the way Herbert Derp...Congratulations on your amazing sucess. 

YHD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2834 on: April 17, 2020, 01:11:07 PM »
dont know know where you’re digging up 250k yoy...I’m down 11% from dec2019.  I thought this was the year we would have made 5m.  Stuffed that down my gullet and ate my dreams.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2835 on: April 17, 2020, 02:17:40 PM »
dont know know where you’re digging up 250k yoy...I’m down 11% from dec2019.  I thought this was the year we would have made 5m.  Stuffed that down my gullet and ate my dreams.

Maybe it's just luck, because I'm dumber than the average dog.  We're now positive for the year to date.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2836 on: April 17, 2020, 03:19:10 PM »
I haven't updated my numbers in April so I'm probably doing much better than I think, but it feels a bit premature to say that we've seen the last of volatility.  I managed to get $100k from stable value in to my 401k S&P index fund around 2400 in March, so that feels pretty good.  More important thing right now is to try to hang on to my oil and gas job.  I have a feeling an ill wind is blowing in to Houston...

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2837 on: April 17, 2020, 03:41:25 PM »
I haven't updated my numbers in April so I'm probably doing much better than I think, but it feels a bit premature to say that we've seen the last of volatility.  I managed to get $100k from stable value in to my 401k S&P index fund around 2400 in March, so that feels pretty good.  More important thing right now is to try to hang on to my oil and gas job.  I have a feeling an ill wind is blowing in to Houston...

I was thinking about you @EscapeVelocity2020 with the recent plunge in oil prices. Financially you could quit right now if you had to right?

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2838 on: April 17, 2020, 06:27:38 PM »
If stocks keep bouncing around about where they are now, i should still have plenty to retire on.  It doesn't look like hunkering down and doing the sheltering thing will be overly expensive.  Working seven tens this week so at least i should end up with a nice check.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2839 on: April 17, 2020, 06:51:54 PM »

I was thinking about you @EscapeVelocity2020 with the recent plunge in oil prices. Financially you could quit right now if you had to right?

Thanks for thinking of me @Exflyboy !  As things stand, we'd be fine financially and I'd probably get a severance.  I'm a little more nervous Houston might pull another 1980 and go bust this year - vacant homes, offices, and storefronts would be pretty depressing.  The kids are both going to be in high school, so I have no plans to move.  Maybe DW would go teach full time and I'd be a SAHD for a few years.  It's pretty hard to make long term plans when your state is volunteering to be the back to work during a pandemic guinea pig...

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2840 on: April 17, 2020, 10:21:23 PM »

Thanks for thinking of me @Exflyboy !  As things stand, we'd be fine financially and I'd probably get a severance.  I'm a little more nervous Houston might pull another 1980 and go bust this year - vacant homes, offices, and storefronts would be pretty depressing.  The kids are both going to be in high school, so I have no plans to move.  Maybe DW would go teach full time and I'd be a SAHD for a few years.  It's pretty hard to make long term plans when your state is volunteering to be the back to work during a pandemic guinea pig...

I'm hoping for some miracle to save oil and gas here on the Gulf Coast.  I've happily made a great living working in the chemical field.  Your low prices and lack of demand actually benefit us as most of our raw materials come from the petro industry. Unfortunately we as well are seeing low demand.  Automotive accounts for a large portion of our sales.  Also appliances and home building.  I luckily haven't missed a day of work or it's corresponding paycheck.  Our corporation is currently cash rich and claim we'll be ok going forward.  I worry about my youngest (25) a bit, he's been working in the chemical field for a year now.  His company is expanding and hopefully in good shape going forward.   We're at even money for the year now and largely in capital preservation more so we're ok.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2841 on: April 18, 2020, 01:37:47 PM »
You're that close to $5M even now, and you haven't pulled the plug? "Stuffed that down my gullet and ate my dreams" my ass! Dude, you are seriously doing something wrong. This is a FIRE forum. Why are you here and what are you waiting for?

And be careful about responding, @Bateaux, I've got my eye on you, too.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2842 on: April 18, 2020, 05:01:01 PM »
You're that close to $5M even now, and you haven't pulled the plug? "Stuffed that down my gullet and ate my dreams" my ass! Dude, you are seriously doing something wrong. This is a FIRE forum. Why are you here and what are you waiting for?

+1
Lotsa eyes, I've got four more here....

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2843 on: April 18, 2020, 07:46:11 PM »

+1
Lotsa eyes, I've got four more here....

Damn "one percenters".. Just you wait till Bernie hits you with his wealth tax.. Oh wait..:)

JoJoP

• Bristles
« Reply #2844 on: April 18, 2020, 07:59:04 PM »
I was licking my cowardly wounds for the past 2 weeks, plus helping one of my kids buy a house.   Housing is an essential business where we are, and the housing market is amazingly brisk.  As brisk as ever, really.   All of our renters but one are still employed and doing ok, so the tidal wave hasn't hit us yet.  We are so incredibly blessed, I don't think there's much that could derail us.  I did the math and realized that my 25% stock market loss will have absolutely no effect on my life at all.   Yow!  That's really amazing, since that's more than I've had in the bank for most of my life.   For that, I'm grateful. 

We already spend a lot of time outside. So that's our normal.   The public parks are closed, but there's plenty of scenic places to go for a walk, and I spotted an owls nest at the end of my block.  I'm grabbing my binoculars and heading out to watch them every evening at sunset.  My garden is... the same... awesome!  Life is good and we're washing our hands. 

JoJoP

• Bristles
Re: Race from $2M to $3M.....and beyond!
« Reply #2845 on: April 18, 2020, 08:53:36 PM »
Sounds like you are in a pretty good position.  Are you retired then or planning to ER?
I think the plan is to work another 3-4 years and then cash out of the rest of the business and be done.

I'm very fortunate to enjoy my work and get paid well, but this time working at home has opened my eyes to the idea that I can still work as much as I'd like in some capacity (but have to be realistic that I won't get the plum overseas assignments anymore).  I think this little shake-up has re-invigorated my desire to ER and retake more control over my time.  Plus I'm over 10 years older than you, so I'll be getting to Medicare, SS, and no-penalty 401k withdrawals with plenty of assets even if I just stay in cash.  I used to stress a bit over thinking ER wouldn't be all that much better or possibly disappointing, but I think I can swing something with my employer that will be mutually beneficial and gets me more of an ER lifestyle.

It's a bit of a wake up call to realize this:  What the heck is all that money good for if you die of Covid 19 before you get to enjoy it?  Fire already, people!  Or at least ramp it back to where it's part of your life, not your whole life. 

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2846 on: April 18, 2020, 11:55:18 PM »

Dicey I love you.  You're right, it's getting to be that time.  I do want to ride this out and see what's on the backside.  My wife is chawing at the bitt to quit work now.  I'm on a string of 7 nights right now.  I get off Wednesday morning.  May be headed to the Florida house for my week off.  Florida isn't welcoming Louisiana people right now.  I'll be carry my mortgage bill along as proof I'm a Florida tax payer.  The end is in sight I swear.  But yes, keep giving me those not so suttle hints.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2847 on: April 19, 2020, 12:12:59 AM »
Hahaha, I just got finished typing "Love you" to Slicey over in my journal and now you've dropped a love bomb on me. Squee!!! Aren't imaginary friends the best?

Hmmm, I'd be a bit worried about you packing off to Florida just now. They shut down far too late to be likely to have a good CV outcome. Will they see significant improvement in a week's time? I highly doubt it. More likely that it will be exponentially worse there in seven days. For you to have worked so hard and so long (nudge) and be struck down in this pandemic would be unbelievably sad.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 12:42:02 AM by Dicey »

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Race from $2M to $3M.....and beyond!
« Reply #2848 on: April 19, 2020, 12:27:19 AM »
Sounds like you are in a pretty good position.  Are you retired then or planning to ER?
I think the plan is to work another 3-4 years and then cash out of the rest of the business and be done.

I'm very fortunate to enjoy my work and get paid well, but this time working at home has opened my eyes to the idea that I can still work as much as I'd like in some capacity (but have to be realistic that I won't get the plum overseas assignments anymore).  I think this little shake-up has re-invigorated my desire to ER and retake more control over my time.  Plus I'm over 10 years older than you, so I'll be getting to Medicare, SS, and no-penalty 401k withdrawals with plenty of assets even if I just stay in cash.  I used to stress a bit over thinking ER wouldn't be all that much better or possibly disappointing, but I think I can swing something with my employer that will be mutually beneficial and gets me more of an ER lifestyle.

It's a bit of a wake up call to realize this:  What the heck is all that money good for if you die of Covid 19 before you get to enjoy it?  Fire already, people!  Or at least ramp it back to where it's part of your life, not your whole life.

You're right JoJo.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2849 on: April 19, 2020, 12:35:29 AM »
Hahaha, I just got finished typing "Love you" to Slicey over in my journal and now you've dropped a love bomb on me. Squee!!! Aren't imaginary friends the best?

Hmmm, I'd be a bit worried about you packing off to Florida just now. They shut down far too late to be likely to have a good CV outcome. Will they see significant improvement in a week's time? I highly doubt it. More l8kely that it will be exponentially worse there in seven days. For you to have worked so hard and so long (nudge) and be struck down in this pandemic would be unbelievably sad.

We may never meet face to face but your love and kindness towards others beams from your words.  I'd be proud to call you a friend in any context.  If we do travel to Florida we won't be leaving the house.  It's been unoccupied since January when we took a cruise out of Tampa.  We have a pantry full of food there and an ample toilet paper supply.  I can clean the pool, work in the yard and tidy up some inside projects.  We're on a huge lot and it's a huge house.   We'll be far greater distanced from others than here in Louisiana.  We'll see what next week brings.  It's a 600 mile drive each way.   But my wife may need the break.  Now go to bed.  I'm bullshiting on the clock right now.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 12:37:46 AM by Bateaux »