Author Topic: What TV series do you like?  (Read 726595 times)

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
Re: What TV series do you like?
« Reply #900 on: November 08, 2019, 12:20:58 PM »
Ray Donovan Season 1 has been added to Amazon Prime.  Pretty good so far.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #901 on: November 11, 2019, 05:45:36 AM »
Been catching up on Doctor Who.  Man I love this show.  It seems so light and fluffy on the surface, but goes pretty deep and often quite dark.  Very, very British!

I'm on the 2nd season with Peter Capaldi as the Doctor and it's much better than the first.  And the first wasn't bad!

I've been watching the first season--not sure what I think of it--it is so weird and different. Very hokey. But I'm just going to continue watching, and kind of go with the flow. I think I'm going to either love it or hate it, and I don't yet know which it will be.

I'm still chugging along in the second season. They just defeated the Dalek invasion of Earth, and Susan has just left the group to marry the nice Earth guy. William Hartnell is still Dr. Who. The show is getting much better--still hokey, but compelling hokey rather than stupid, cringe-worthy hokey. I think I'm in for the long haul.

I'm still jumping around on seasons and episodes--classic series and reboot--on Amazon Prime. I am currently watching the newer episodes with Matt Smith and David Tennant as the Doctor. They are sooooooo much better than the classic series, at least from what I've watched so far. David Tennant is incredibly good. I recommend the re-boot for exciting story-telling, great visuals, funny, dry quips at times. Can't really recommend the cheesy classic series except to get some background while yawning and rolling your eyes.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #902 on: November 11, 2019, 08:56:39 AM »
Been catching up on Doctor Who.  Man I love this show.  It seems so light and fluffy on the surface, but goes pretty deep and often quite dark.  Very, very British!

I'm on the 2nd season with Peter Capaldi as the Doctor and it's much better than the first.  And the first wasn't bad!

I've been watching the first season--not sure what I think of it--it is so weird and different. Very hokey. But I'm just going to continue watching, and kind of go with the flow. I think I'm going to either love it or hate it, and I don't yet know which it will be.

I'm still chugging along in the second season. They just defeated the Dalek invasion of Earth, and Susan has just left the group to marry the nice Earth guy. William Hartnell is still Dr. Who. The show is getting much better--still hokey, but compelling hokey rather than stupid, cringe-worthy hokey. I think I'm in for the long haul.

I'm still jumping around on seasons and episodes--classic series and reboot--on Amazon Prime. I am currently watching the newer episodes with Matt Smith and David Tennant as the Doctor. They are sooooooo much better than the classic series, at least from what I've watched so far. David Tennant is incredibly good. I recommend the re-boot for exciting story-telling, great visuals, funny, dry quips at times. Can't really recommend the cheesy classic series except to get some background while yawning and rolling your eyes.

Agreed!  The original series was cheesy/bad and the reboot is cheesy/good (and a lot more clever).

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #903 on: November 11, 2019, 09:20:12 AM »
I just bingewatched the first season of No Offence.  Really liked it, although the last episode was not great, IMO.  Can't wait to get Season Two from the library.

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #904 on: November 11, 2019, 09:31:32 AM »
I just bingewatched the first season of No Offence.  Really liked it, although the last episode was not great, IMO.  Can't wait to get Season Two from the library.

Oooh, I watched all 3 seasons of No Offence on Acorn. Really enjoyed it. Of course, I loved the original British Shameless & they have a similar sensibility.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #905 on: November 11, 2019, 09:36:11 AM »

Oooh, I watched all 3 seasons of No Offence on Acorn. Really enjoyed it. Of course, I loved the original British Shameless & they have a similar sensibility.

Thanks--I will have to check out the British Shameless!  Will hopefully be able to get it through interlibrary loan if neither of my libraries has it.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #906 on: November 13, 2019, 11:46:26 AM »
Just finished Modern Love on Prime and I really enjoyed it.  This would be a great Thanksgiving binge.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #907 on: November 13, 2019, 02:17:56 PM »
Just finished Modern Love on Prime and I really enjoyed it.  This would be a great Thanksgiving binge.

I keep seeing that pop up, so I'm glad to hear that it was good.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #908 on: November 13, 2019, 02:38:27 PM »
Living with Yourself on Netflix. I like Paul Rudd so that influences my opinion, but I definitely liked it. I would describe it as original, dark, and frustrating. I don't know what else to say with out ruining the plot, but a lot is made clear in just the first episode.

In fact I just read the description that comes up when you google it and that gives it away too. Maybe it's not meant to be a secret, but I had no idea what to expect when I watched the first episode. I think it was better that way.

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #909 on: November 14, 2019, 08:38:00 AM »
Has anyone watched the new (short) Queer Eye series that takes in Tokyo?

The first episode was legitimately heart-wrenching for me. I adored the woman (Yoko) and admittedly shed some tears. Even with the language barrier (which they explain at the very end), the intimacy and connection seemed very authentic to me and my family. I know it's just a TV show, but I think the Fab 4 are awesome and so ridiculously funny.

There are only four episodes, so we are spacing them out a bit to avoid binging them all in one or two nights.

Well, now you have to tell us which one you hate, since it is The Fab 5   =P

Oh no! My bad!

I don't even have a least favorite, but I guess it would be Anthoni if I was pressed to choose. He's the only one of the "new" Fab 5 that my wife and I don't think is an improvement over the original (Ted!).

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #910 on: November 14, 2019, 08:42:03 AM »
The Mandalorian, anyone?? My wife and I enjoyed the premiere on Tuesday, especially the dark, Western-vibe, and the surprise ending.

And I like that it's dropping weekly instead of all at once. Binge-culture is overrated to me. Everyone is watching different shows at different paces, and hell some folks binge a whole season in one weekend, so by the time "regular folks" watch it all, the other folks have moved on to other series. It's so fractured. Now part of that fracturing is just the result of having SO much content and SO many platforms, BUT I think dropping entire seasons of content also contributes to it.

With the Mandalorian, we'll have time to talk with other fans and speculate about what's going to happen. For me, that's a lot of the fun of watching a show - discussing it with my wife and friends. And people late to the party can catch up and still join in!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #911 on: November 14, 2019, 09:10:05 AM »
The Mandalorian, anyone?? My wife and I enjoyed the premiere on Tuesday, especially the dark, Western-vibe, and the surprise ending.

And I like that it's dropping weekly instead of all at once. Binge-culture is overrated to me. Everyone is watching different shows at different paces, and hell some folks binge a whole season in one weekend, so by the time "regular folks" watch it all, the other folks have moved on to other series. It's so fractured. Now part of that fracturing is just the result of having SO much content and SO many platforms, BUT I think dropping entire seasons of content also contributes to it.

With the Mandalorian, we'll have time to talk with other fans and speculate about what's going to happen. For me, that's a lot of the fun of watching a show - discussing it with my wife and friends. And people late to the party can catch up and still join in!

Haven't watched that one yet, but it sounds promising. Which platform has it?

I agree about binge vs. weekly episodes. Hulu tends to release their in-house programming on a weekly basis and it is easier to keep up, particularly with something very heavy like "The Handmaid's Tale." We have a new episode of "Castle Rock" to watch this weekend.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #912 on: November 14, 2019, 09:26:38 AM »

Yeah, now that you mention it, I do miss discussing episodes with folks and reading speculation and all kinds of interesting reactions and feedback.  Anyone remember TWoP (TV Without Pity)?  That was a fun way to relive and extend the mystery and excitement of certain shows back in the day, during my boring hours at work.  I think I particularly liked it for Veronica Mars, 24 and Lost.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #913 on: November 14, 2019, 09:34:27 AM »

The first episode was legitimately heart-wrenching for me. I adored the woman (Yoko) and admittedly shed some tears. Even with the language barrier (which they explain at the very end), the intimacy and connection seemed very authentic to me and my family. I know it's just a TV show, but I think the Fab 4 are awesome and so ridiculously funny.

There are only four episodes, so we are spacing them out a bit to avoid binging them all in one or two nights.

Oh no! My bad!

I don't even have a least favorite, but I guess it would be Anthoni if I was pressed to choose. He's the only one of the "new" Fab 5 that my wife and I don't think is an improvement over the original (Ted!).

ooohh - Since you like Queer Eye and I think you were the one that started the thread for the final GOT season, I hope you've watched Jonathan Van Ness's "Gay of Thrones." It is my ultimate 5 minute pick me up and my husband loves it too!

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #914 on: November 14, 2019, 11:19:31 AM »
Anyone remember TWoP (TV Without Pity)?  That was a fun way to relive and extend the mystery and excitement of certain shows back in the day, during my boring hours at work.  I think I particularly liked it for Veronica Mars, 24 and Lost.
I used to love TWoP. Really liked it for Buffy. It got a bit less snarky in the latter years but I still found it a bit of fun.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #915 on: November 16, 2019, 10:13:25 AM »
Season 3 of The Crown will be released tomorrow on Netflix. I just read that Season 4 will include Gillian Anderson as Margaret Thatcher. Anderson, Olivia Colman (Queen Elizabeth), and Helena Bonham-Carter (Princess Margaret) are among my very favorite actors, so I expect to enjoy these two seasons immensely.

For anyone who hasn't seen seasons 1 and 2, Claire Foy was exceptional as the young Queen, and John Lithgow was excellent (and surprising) as Winston Churchill. Very good stuff.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #916 on: November 16, 2019, 11:23:05 AM »
Last night I got my daughter hooked on the recent version of Sherlock from BBC that stars Benedict Cumberbatch.  It's streaming on Netflix for free.  I really like that each episode is 90 minutes long and is basically a movie but with continuity to what's come before.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #917 on: November 16, 2019, 12:06:01 PM »
Really digging the Mandalorian.  Hopefully the series stays strong, great start.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #918 on: November 17, 2019, 06:31:37 PM »
Yes I thought Unbelievable was also an excellent show, and I understand that it closely hews to the actual events according to the Marshall Project, which is a criminal justice reform news source.

I'm glad folks suggested 'Unbelievable', I just wish the series didn't wait until the final episode to deliver the goods!  I'm glad I watched it now, but had to skip most of the stuff in the middle because it was dragging and there is so much else out there.  I feel a bit guilty now that I almost gave up on it, I can't imagine how this actually affected these people's lives.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #919 on: November 18, 2019, 08:28:03 AM »
Last night I got my daughter hooked on the recent version of Sherlock from BBC that stars Benedict Cumberbatch.  It's streaming on Netflix for free.  I really like that each episode is 90 minutes long and is basically a movie but with continuity to what's come before.

I watched the full series and really enjoyed the first season. I have read all the books, so it was interesting how they integrated a story almost 120 years old using modern-day scenarios.

Unfortunately, season 3 was mostly unbelievable. A third Holmes sibling who can make Sherlock and Mycroft look stupid. Yikes.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #920 on: November 18, 2019, 08:30:40 AM »
Not sure if anyone is watching the Expanse on Amazon Prime.

I like this a lot since this is a sci-fi series which has not forgotten science. Also, like other sci-fi series, the future is not white and American.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #921 on: November 18, 2019, 08:33:05 AM »

I like this a lot since this is a sci-fi series which has not forgotten science. Also, like other sci-fi series, the future is not white and American.
Everyone should watch The Expanse.  Fantastic hard scifi.

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #922 on: November 18, 2019, 04:46:07 PM »

Yeah, love The Expanse. High quality sci-fi. Season 4 is coming December 13th. I have to rewatch the prior season each time because I binge them and then forget details by the time the next season gets released.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #923 on: November 18, 2019, 05:39:56 PM »

Yeah, love The Expanse. High quality sci-fi. Season 4 is coming December 13th. I have to rewatch the prior season each time because I binge them and then forget details by the time the next season gets released.

Agreed with everyone above!  The Expanse is really good.

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #924 on: November 19, 2019, 07:30:31 AM »

Oh no! My bad!

ooohh - Since you like Queer Eye and I think you were the one that started the thread for the final GOT season, I hope you've watched Jonathan Van Ness's "Gay of Thrones." It is my ultimate 5 minute pick me up and my husband loves it too!

It's a LOT to process lol...at least that's what I remember. Jonathan throws a lot of comments at you pretty quickly.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #925 on: November 19, 2019, 08:41:30 AM »
Currently watching Designated Survivor.  Seems like Season 2 isn't nearly as good/well thought out as Season 1....

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #926 on: November 19, 2019, 08:59:09 AM »
For those who have watched The Crown on Netflix, season 3 has started.

I watched one episode last night. Definitely prefer Claire Foy as the Queen compared to Olivia Compton.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #927 on: November 19, 2019, 09:59:12 AM »
Currently watching Designated Survivor.  Seems like Season 2 isn't nearly as good/well thought out as Season 1....

Agree! I really liked the concept of the show in S1, but felt like S2 turned into a blah version of West Wing mashed up with 24 (with Maggie Q in the Kiefer part). I gave up after a few episodes of Season 2.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #928 on: November 19, 2019, 10:20:14 AM »
We got a free trial of Hulu so that we could re-watch Rick & Morty ahead of season 4. We discovered Brooklyn Nine-Nine and only made it through 1.5 seasons before having to cancel Hulu to avoid the fee. It was really good in that time though.

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #929 on: November 20, 2019, 07:52:55 AM »
Fall finale of "This is Us" was one of the better hours of television I've watched in recent years.

I can't imagine how hard it is, especially on network TV, to masterfully execute a story that moves backwards and forwards, spanning like 60 years (from "young Jack" scenes to "old Rebecca" scenes) and to weave them all together, but my god they nail it almost every time. And every time they introduce a new character, and I think, "Well geez how are they going to find room for them?" or "There's no way this actor can hold their own against all of these other talented actors," I'm proven wrong.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #930 on: November 20, 2019, 08:41:23 AM »
Fall finale of "This is Us" was one of the better hours of television I've watched in recent years.

I can't imagine how hard it is, especially on network TV, to masterfully execute a story that moves backwards and forwards, spanning like 60 years (from "young Jack" scenes to "old Rebecca" scenes) and to weave them all together, but my god they nail it almost every time. And every time they introduce a new character, and I think, "Well geez how are they going to find room for them?" or "There's no way this actor can hold their own against all of these other talented actors," I'm proven wrong.

Seconding this. Wow. That was a fantastic episode, with so much foreshadowing. This is one of the rare shows that just keeps getting better. I knew it was something special after the "Memphis" episode in season 1, and they just keep going. 

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #931 on: November 20, 2019, 08:47:57 AM »

I watched one episode last night. Definitely prefer Claire Foy as the Queen compared to Olivia Compton.

I dont love this Season 3. The Wales school episode was good, but I ammnot sure that the other historical events they highlight are very interesting. I dont buy the family i terference with
Charles-Camilla.

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #932 on: November 20, 2019, 12:12:08 PM »

I dont love this Season 3. The Wales school episode was good, but I ammnot sure that the other historical events they highlight are very interesting. I dont buy the family i terference with
Charles-Camilla.

Same here.  Kind of boring.  The Aberfan episode was good, except her confession to the PM was completely unbelievable.  The Wales episode was definitely the best.  Every episode was almost good, but something was missing. I'm afraid the missing piece was Claire Foy.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #933 on: November 22, 2019, 06:53:44 AM »
almost done with jack ryan. i haven't enjoyed it but i've got to finish it.

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #934 on: November 22, 2019, 07:38:34 AM »

A definite drop off in season 2.  Not great casting with John Krasinski.

Give Ray Donovan a try - a great example of how a strong lead can turn an otherwise run of the mill show into something pretty good.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #935 on: November 22, 2019, 08:52:48 AM »

Give Ray Donovan a try - a great example of how a strong lead can turn an otherwise run of the mill show into something pretty good.

Yeah, I tried hard to pretend John Krasinski could get 'jacked', so to speak, but they might as well have cast Steve Carell as Jack Ryan :(

Maybe they can kill John off in season 3 and bring in Keifer Sutherland as Jack Ryan's childhood friend, Jack Bauer, to take the lead :)

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #936 on: November 22, 2019, 11:48:39 AM »

Yeah, I tried hard to pretend John Krasinski could get 'jacked', so to speak, but they might as well have cast Steve Carell as Jack Ryan :(

Maybe they can kill John off in season 3 and bring in Keifer Sutherland as Jack Ryan's childhood friend, Jack Bauer, to take the lead :)

i didn't watch 'the office' so i didn't recognize him as the guy from 'the office' at first. he looks like a character from a pixar movie though. aside from that, there was too much violence and not enough substance.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #937 on: November 22, 2019, 01:13:01 PM »

i didn't watch 'the office' so i didn't recognize him as the guy from 'the office' at first. he looks like a character from a pixar movie though. aside from that, there was too much violence and not enough substance.

I haven't watched Jack Ryan and don't intend to because there's no way I could look at Krasinski and not see Jim Halpert.

But I am curious to know how people who didn't watch the Office see him in an action role. Is he a believable hero?

Judging by the Pixar comment, I'm guessing not.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #938 on: November 24, 2019, 08:01:31 AM »
Ray Donovan Season 1 has been added to Amazon Prime.  Pretty good so far.

I like this show a lot and watch seasons one and two. By season three I kind of wandered away from it, I don’t really know why, but it certainly had very strong elements.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #939 on: November 27, 2019, 06:24:14 AM »

Does anyone watch the shows like The Conners, Mom, Modern Family, Big Bang Theory, etc?  The 'mainstream' stuff.

I do, since I refuse to pay any more than basic cable fee.

I like them sometimes. Maybe due to there being different writers for different episodes.   Some episodes can be very good, some just plain awful, imho. 

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #940 on: November 27, 2019, 11:14:41 AM »

Does anyone watch the shows like The Conners, Mom, Modern Family, Big Bang Theory, etc?  The 'mainstream' stuff.

I like them sometimes. Maybe due to there being different writers for different episodes.   Some episodes can be very good, some just plain awful, imho.
Not to bring this off topic, but surely you could get a streaming service or two (and rotate on and off a few others if desired) for less than the price of basic cable.  And there's just as much "mainstream" stuff on streaming as "prestige" stuff.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #941 on: November 27, 2019, 11:47:28 AM »

Not to bring this off topic, but surely you could get a streaming service or two (and rotate on and off a few others if desired) for less than the price of basic cable.  And there's just as much "mainstream" stuff on streaming as "prestige" stuff.

Thanks for the idea, Ketchup.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #942 on: November 27, 2019, 12:43:04 PM »

That's what I did.  When I realized I was paying for cable AND paying for internet, I realized I could just get rid of cable and pay for Netflix or Hulu, get the shows commercial free and save quite a bit of $$ in the process. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #943 on: November 29, 2019, 09:05:46 PM »
Castle Rock (Hulu) has seriously taken a turn for the creepy in the second half of season 2. I'm a Stephen King fan, and this show feels true to his style.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #944 on: December 03, 2019, 10:55:59 AM »

Agreed with everyone above!  The Expanse is really good.

Based on suggestions here, DH & I started watching The Expanse.  We were slightly disappointed right off the bat in the first episode, when the "away team" (Star Trek reference there) goes in to scout out the vessel that is not responding but that sent out the distress call.  Nobody thought to send in drones first?  WTH kind of stupidity is this?  But we plowed through and are mostly enjoying it.  Currently in the middle of Season 3, so I'm glad to realize that we'll get to jump into Season 4 if we feel like it.

We really like Sadavir's character.  It's rich.  And Amos is probably our favorite character of all.

One thing that drives me insane, though, is Alex's awful Texas (or whatever it's supposed to be) drawl.  It's so bad, y'all. 

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #945 on: December 03, 2019, 03:05:45 PM »
One thing that drives me insane, though, is Alex's awful Texas (or whatever it's supposed to be) drawl.  It's so bad, y'all.
Agreed. It's quite ubiquitous, mendacious, and polyglottal.  Like a couple of donkey balls.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #946 on: December 03, 2019, 03:35:55 PM »

It is supposed to be a bad imitation of a Texas drawl.

In the books, they did give an explanation. The first settlers to Mariner Valley consisted of large waves of Indian and Chinese settlers and a smaller contingent of Texans. Apparently the accent was infectious because everyone from Mariner Valley now has that cowboy drawl.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #947 on: December 03, 2019, 05:17:31 PM »
I took "Better Call Saul" from the library.  Very watchable and if you like "Breaking Bad" you will like it.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #948 on: December 04, 2019, 08:03:10 AM »
finishing up season 1 of the handmaiden's tale. i've enjoyed it but i'm growing tired of offred's agonizing facial expressions.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #949 on: December 04, 2019, 01:31:44 PM »

It is supposed to be a bad imitation of a Texas drawl.

In the books, they did give an explanation. The first settlers to Mariner Valley consisted of large waves of Indian and Chinese settlers and a smaller contingent of Texans. Apparently the accent was infectious because everyone from Mariner Valley now has that cowboy drawl.

Okay, that's better.  It helps, anyway.  Still annoys the crap out of me.