Author Topic: What TV series do you like?  (Read 708682 times)

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
Re: What TV series do you like?
« Reply #1100 on: April 09, 2020, 07:49:03 AM »
Ozark Season 3 was AWESOME. "Wolf bitch" lol I love Ruth so much.

Yellowstone Season 3 starts June 17th. My wife and I look forward to that!

And we'll watch (on dvr) the last episode of Modern Family tonight. It definitely got weaker as the show went on, but we still like the cast a lot. We would love to have Mitch and Cam as neighbors!

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1101 on: April 12, 2020, 11:07:41 PM »
Ok, I know this isn't common, but we just didn't love Schitt's Creek after the first season.  We're gonna put it aside and maybe come back to it.  I do think it's funny, but the characters are soooooo....just obvious after one episode, it sort of feels like we're just watching the same thing over and over again?

We're going to try Killing Eve next.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1102 on: April 13, 2020, 05:14:16 AM »
Ok, I know this isn't common, but we just didn't love Schitt's Creek after the first season.  We're gonna put it aside and maybe come back to it.  I do think it's funny, but the characters are soooooo....just obvious after one episode, it sort of feels like we're just watching the same thing over and over again?

I never came around to loving Schitt's Creek, I like it enough to watch it absent mindedly while cooking, but beyond slightly growing on me, I could take it or leave it. DH can't stand it.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1103 on: April 13, 2020, 11:37:56 AM »

I am getting AMC now that the cable co has given us about 5 additional channels for free because of corona.  So I was looking forward to checking out Killing Eve. Big disappointment. It was OK, but it was just the same old stuff. i.e., weird person doing violent things that just aren't believable anyway. Same as all the other 'shocking' shows. I'm just tired of it. I made it through about 25 minutes (including 2 big commercial breaks of course).   No more.

On the good news front, though.   I am watching (on ABC?) a sitcom called 'Bless this Mess' about folks in small town Nebraska.  Most of the cast are irritating self-absorbed types, but I like the older guy played by Ed Begley and his romantic relationship with the lady sherriff in the town.  If the episode has Ed in it, I like it.

EngagedToFIRE

• Bristles
« Reply #1104 on: April 13, 2020, 06:04:21 PM »
Season 3 of Ozark didn't speak to me the way the first 2 did.  But I'm clearly the odd one since not just everyone here, but even close friends have said 3 was the best.  Still good, but didn't love it.

I just finished Get Shorty, which was pretty damn outstanding.  Power on Starz was pretty good, entertaining and addicting, but didn't finish strong.  Vida on Starz is REALLY good.  Casual on Hulu is amazing, too.  It's pretty wild how many incredible shows are flying under the radar.

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1105 on: April 14, 2020, 06:26:09 AM »
My wife and I just finished Tiger King, and have moved on to Money Heist / La Casa de Papel. Both were good in their own ways. I liked Tiger King in the same way I enjoyed watching the Jerry Springer show from time to time. Money Heist is the best bank heist show/movie I've seen in a while.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1106 on: April 20, 2020, 06:55:46 PM »
I just saw an episode of 'Run' on HBO. Wow, I loved it. So I don't hate all the stuff on HBO, after all.

I'll skip the plot. I like it because I like the characters. Imagine that, likable characters in a TV serial.  Actually one of them is pretty despicable, judging by her actions, but she is likable somehow, at least to me.

This show has no explosions and killings and drug addicts (so far) and does have interesting dialog, and an interesting plot. 

I saw it today, which is a Monday, but they are advertising it as a Sunday 10:30 PM show.   Must have been some sort of teaser. 

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1107 on: April 20, 2020, 07:27:08 PM »
My wife and I just finished Tiger King, and have moved on to Money Heist / La Casa de Papel. Both were good in their own ways. I liked Tiger King in the same way I enjoyed watching the Jerry Springer show from time to time. Money Heist is the best bank heist show/movie I've seen in a while.

I watched Tiger King on Netflix Party with my adult children. It was kind of fun, in a train wreck kind of way, made more fun because of all the snarky comment opportunities.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1108 on: April 21, 2020, 08:26:37 PM »
I just saw an episode of 'Run' on HBO. Wow, I loved it. So I don't hate all the stuff on HBO, after all.

Yeah, good pacing and the end of the first episode is about as good as it gets.  Pretty complicated; are they lying to each other, lying to themselves, one is a lie and the other is getting sucked in, or maybe the liar can't go through with the consequences, or is it going to work itself out?  Fingers crossed the season keeps up the intensity.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1109 on: April 22, 2020, 07:11:36 AM »
We just watched the first couple episodes of "The Last Dance," which is about Michael Jordan, particularly the 97-98 season. As someone who grew up during that era, it's a really good watch. My wife, who was a little younger during that time, is fascinated by it.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1110 on: April 22, 2020, 07:22:19 AM »
DH and I are rewatching OZ.

It's crazy how tv has changed over the years. I remember OZ being so stressful to watch back when it first came out. It was so unusual for a show to be so dark and for basically everyone to just get more and more miserable as time went on.

Now it just seems like normal tv, and I'm far more aware of how hilarious it is.

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #1111 on: April 22, 2020, 01:05:30 PM »
Been catching up on the HBO content available on Hulu this month. I had been really looking forward to watching "Barry" but was kinda disappointed. I enjoyed it but it was very similar in feel to Amazon's "Patriot" which is just such a better show. I don't know why Barry got so much hype and Patriot been overlooked.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1112 on: April 22, 2020, 01:58:47 PM »
Been catching up on the HBO content available on Hulu this month. I had been really looking forward to watching "Barry" but was kinda disappointed. I enjoyed it but it was very similar in feel to Amazon's "Patriot" which is just such a better show. I don't know why Barry got so much hype and Patriot been overlooked.

Same.
I think Patriot is absolutely brilliant. The actors and characters are incredible, I enjoy every single one of them. I just don't really get Barry, and I don't enjoy the characters at all.

dignam

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1113 on: April 23, 2020, 06:34:37 AM »
Ozark is awesome.

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #1114 on: April 23, 2020, 06:44:22 AM »
Ozark is awesome.

Love Ozark - I'm always curious to see what they are going to steal from Breaking Bad next!

dignam

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1115 on: April 23, 2020, 06:48:48 AM »
Ozark is awesome.

Love Ozark - I'm always curious to see what they are going to steal from Breaking Bad next!

Ha, it definitely has a Breaking Bad feel to it sometimes.  But that's not a bad thing!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1116 on: April 23, 2020, 12:46:29 PM »
Ozark is awesome.

LOL, yeah, that's pretty spot on, except I really enjoy Ozark and couldn't get through Breaking Bad after season 1.
I think I just adore Laura Linney, although, what's up with so many of her characters having brothers with mental illness? That's an odd form of typecasting.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1117 on: April 24, 2020, 02:19:26 PM »

Yeah, good pacing and the end of the first episode is about as good as it gets.  Pretty complicated; are they lying to each other, lying to themselves, one is a lie and the other is getting sucked in, or maybe the liar can't go through with the consequences, or is it going to work itself out?  Fingers crossed the season keeps up the intensity.

Yeah, it will be hard to beat that first episode. I like the characters so much, especially her. Usually I can't stand the characters in TV series, lol.   

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1118 on: April 25, 2020, 10:34:57 AM »

I am getting AMC now that the cable co has given us about 5 additional channels for free because of corona.  So I was looking forward to checking out Killing Eve. Big disappointment. It was OK, but it was just the same old stuff. i.e., weird person doing violent things that just aren't believable anyway. Same as all the other 'shocking' shows. I'm just tired of it. I made it through about 25 minutes (including 2 big commercial breaks of course).   No more.

On the good news front, though.   I am watching (on ABC?) a sitcom called 'Bless this Mess' about folks in small town Nebraska.  Most of the cast are irritating self-absorbed types, but I like the older guy played by Ed Begley and his romantic relationship with the lady sherriff in the town.  If the episode has Ed in it, I like it.

We made it through the whole first season of Killing Eve.  Sort of sorry I did.  The first episode, we weren't sure, but we had the disc of 4 so....there was an episode or two that were red flags, but episode 4 was better, so we thought we'd try the last 4 of the season.  The last one was really cringeworthy and I could not suspend my disbelief.  I can't believe it's still going.  Also, I know Phoebe Waller-Bridge was the writer and I had heard such great things about Fleabag....and now I'm not sure if we should watch THAT.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1119 on: April 25, 2020, 12:36:12 PM »

We made it through the whole first season of Killing Eve.  Sort of sorry I did.  The first episode, we weren't sure, but we had the disc of 4 so....there was an episode or two that were red flags, but episode 4 was better, so we thought we'd try the last 4 of the season.  The last one was really cringeworthy and I could not suspend my disbelief.  I can't believe it's still going.  Also, I know Phoebe Waller-Bridge was the writer and I had heard such great things about Fleabag....and now I'm not sure if we should watch THAT.

Since I like 'Run' so much, I've googled it, and it turns out that Waller-Bridge ius involved in  'Fleabag' , 'Run',  and "Killing Eve'. I'm not going to let it ruin my enjoyment of 'Run', if possible.   

I haven't ever seen 'Fleabag'.  Maybe I would like it, don't know.

I'm not even interested in seeing Tiger King. Sounds so predictable.

Seems like the new thing to do in TV series is to 'out-weird',  'out-sleaze' and 'out-lowlife' the other shows.

Oh wow, look, a bunch of weirdo scum**gs running around and someone is trying to insert a plot! How amazing, let's binge-watch! No thank you. 

I'll take normal folks with some *relatable* and believable things going on, where good things happen once in a while, lol.       

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1120 on: April 25, 2020, 12:40:19 PM »

Since I like 'Run' so much, I've googled it, and it turns out that Waller-Bridge ius involved in  'Fleabag' , 'Run',  and "Killing Eve'. I'm not going to let it ruin my enjoyment of 'Run', if possible.   

Waller-Bridge is the creator and writer of 'Fleabag'. AFAIK she only produces 'Run'.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1121 on: April 25, 2020, 01:35:12 PM »
fleabag was good. killing eve was ok.
watching unorthodox now. it's an interesting take on ultraorthodox jewish religion, not that i know anything about it.

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #1122 on: April 25, 2020, 02:50:56 PM »

Seems like the new thing to do in TV series is to 'out-weird',  'out-sleaze' and 'out-lowlife' the other shows.

Oh wow, look, a bunch of weirdo scum**gs running around and someone is trying to insert a plot! How amazing, let's binge-watch! No thank you. 

I'll take normal folks with some *relatable* and believable things going on, where good things happen once in a while, lol.      

That's pretty much Fleabag then.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1123 on: April 25, 2020, 03:14:51 PM »

Stay faaaaaaaar away from Preacher on Hulu then.

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1124 on: April 26, 2020, 09:47:37 PM »
Ozark is awesome.

LOL, yeah, that's pretty spot on, except I really enjoy Ozark and couldn't get through Breaking Bad after season 1.
I think I just adore Laura Linney, although, what's up with so many of her characters having brothers with mental illness? That's an odd form of typecasting.

Right? You Can Count on Me, Love, Actually, The Big C. She seems to be destined to put up with problematic brothers. Are there other shows or  movies? Laura Linney is fabulous. And I have a bit of a crush on Jason Bateman, ok? Sue me.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1125 on: April 27, 2020, 04:02:17 PM »
OK I gave 'Killing Eve' one more try.  Nope.  Sharp poisoned tuning fork flung into the back of the head of an innocent woman? Come on, now. Just...plain....lazy (of the script). 

There was only one scene I liked. Sandra Oh kisses a woman on a bus. It was actually well acted! And they had a cute musical score behind it. OK, that scene was good. But the rest? Ugh. And omfg, so many commercials!

If you like Killing Eve, go for it, guys. I don't fault you. I just don't see it myself.  I was more interested in the  OJ Simpson trial documentary on Court TV, lol. Kept flipping back and forth.

OK, but I DO like 'Run'. Looking forward to seeing more of that show.   

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1126 on: April 27, 2020, 10:05:21 PM »
I just finished the fourth season of 'The Good Place' and it's raining on my face.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1127 on: April 28, 2020, 12:44:04 PM »
I just finished the fourth season of 'The Good Place' and it's raining on my face.
It was so good.

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1128 on: April 29, 2020, 02:39:08 PM »

I don't know about new. Survivor. Judge Judy. Jerry Springer. Cops. The TV landscape has always had a place for scum and villainy.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1129 on: April 30, 2020, 01:18:08 PM »

I don't know about new. Survivor. Judge Judy. Jerry Springer. Cops. The TV landscape has always had a place for scum and villainy.

Of course you're right, Psychstashe.  I never got into those specific shows too much. Although I will admit to really enjoying Breaking Bad.  And one of my favorite movies of all time is Pulp Fiction. Both of them violent and sleazy.

I guess my tastes have changed. Now I want a different thing. Like the show 'Run'.   

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1130 on: April 30, 2020, 02:47:19 PM »

Of course you're right, Psychstashe.  I never got into those specific shows too much. Although I will admit to really enjoying Breaking Bad.  And one of my favorite movies of all time is Pulp Fiction. Both of them violent and sleazy.

I guess my tastes have changed. Now I want a different thing. Like the show 'Run'.   

You should check out the show "The Dectorists" it's free on Amazon Prime and is quite charming, in the best sense of the word.  These people are well worth spending time with.  A lovely British show.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1131 on: April 30, 2020, 02:52:04 PM »

You should check out the show "The Dectorists" it's free on Amazon Prime and is quite charming, in the best sense of the word.  These people are well worth spending time with.  A lovely British show.
the detectorists was great.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1132 on: April 30, 2020, 02:53:02 PM »
watching after life. pretty dark but funny.

cheddarpie

• Stubble
« Reply #1133 on: April 30, 2020, 04:09:53 PM »
We just finished the entire Jane the Virgin series -- it's now one (if not the #1) of our favorite shows of all time. DH doesn't like the drama/violence of shows like Game of Thrones/Breaking Bad/Ozark (all of which I loved) and so we had asked friends of binge-worthy, feel-good shows we could watch together. Jane was a lot of that and more -- truly delightful and heartwarming, and we are so sad it's over. There are a number of Mustachian themes that run through the show too and a lot of good-hearted poking fun at the spendypants crowd. The less you know about it in advance, the better it is. :)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1134 on: April 30, 2020, 04:30:38 PM »
We just finished the entire Jane the Virgin series -- it's now one (if not the #1) of our favorite shows of all time. DH doesn't like the drama/violence of shows like Game of Thrones/Breaking Bad/Ozark (all of which I loved) and so we had asked friends of binge-worthy, feel-good shows we could watch together. Jane was a lot of that and more -- truly delightful and heartwarming, and we are so sad it's over. There are a number of Mustachian themes that run through the show too and a lot of good-hearted poking fun at the spendypants crowd. The less you know about it in advance, the better it is. :)

I LOVED Jane the Virgin. It’s one of my all-time favorites.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1135 on: May 02, 2020, 12:13:50 PM »

the detectorists was great.
The Detecorists is a small masterpiece. For anyone who liked British The Office, Gareth (Mackenzie Crook) produces and stars.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1136 on: May 04, 2020, 03:30:30 AM »
Just binged thru Ozark! Very surprising season finale! Love, love the show! The first season was a bit slow and I thought my hub was going to bail on me watching it. It perked up quite nicely! We binged thru 2 1/2 seasons after putting it on hold for about 5 months! UGH, now we have to wait a whole year before another season is dropped.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1137 on: May 04, 2020, 11:38:24 AM »

After Life is/was AMAZING.  Best thing we've seen in a while.  Ricky Gervais also has a standup routine on Netflix called "Humanity", if you want to see more from him.  Loved all of his series.  "Extras" was good too, if you can find it.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 11:42:21 AM by meghan88 »

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1138 on: May 05, 2020, 10:26:30 AM »

After Life is/was AMAZING.  Best thing we've seen in a while.  Ricky Gervais also has a standup routine on Netflix called "Humanity", if you want to see more from him.  Loved all of his series.  "Extras" was good too, if you can find it.

we just finished it last night. it was pretty good.

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #1139 on: May 05, 2020, 11:42:40 AM »
Were there any other sci-fi geeks watching the last season of Star Wars: The Clone Wars?

The last four episodes of the series all tied together and were very well done. I especially thought the last two episodes were fantastic. The artistry of the music and animation in those two episodes was truly amazing.

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #1140 on: May 05, 2020, 04:56:08 PM »
I just signed up for HBO Now. Never had HBO before but one of my credit cards is offering a credit on streaming subscriptions that I can use for it. I'm really looking forward to Watchmen, Run, and finishing GOT ages behind everyone else. What else have I missed on HBO?

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1141 on: May 05, 2020, 05:08:19 PM »
I just signed up for HBO Now. Never had HBO before but one of my credit cards is offering a credit on streaming subscriptions that I can use for it. I'm really looking forward to Watchmen, Run, and finishing GOT ages behind everyone else. What else have I missed on HBO?
Big Little Lies
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Westworld
The Wire
The Jinx

And things I've been heartily recommended but haven't watched myself:
Chernobyl
Veep
Succession
Gentleman Jack
The Leftovers
Sharp Objects
Barry

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #1142 on: May 05, 2020, 09:30:42 PM »
Big Little Lies
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Westworld
The Wire
The Jinx

Chernobyl
Veep
Succession
Gentleman Jack
The Leftovers
Sharp Objects
Barry

You've reminded of a couple shows that I'd love to watch but forgot about: Chernobyl, Gentleman Jack. Thanks! Adding them to my list before I forget again. I'm also totally going to watch The Leftovers again. It's one of my all-time favorite shows and kinda timely, no?

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #1143 on: May 06, 2020, 06:15:29 AM »

I quite liked The Deuce - same creators as the The Wire and many of the same actors.

Just don't expect it to be as good.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1144 on: May 06, 2020, 08:41:08 AM »
Big Little Lies
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Westworld
The Wire
The Jinx

Chernobyl
Veep
Succession
Gentleman Jack
The Leftovers
Sharp Objects
Barry

Just in case you still have a free hour every week, HBO's 'The Plot Against America' is also good, based on an historical fiction novel of the same name.  A nice break from what I wish were a fictional present; showing how seemingly good, convenient intentions can go awry.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1145 on: May 06, 2020, 08:44:22 AM »
Big Little Lies
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Westworld
The Wire
The Jinx

Chernobyl
Veep
Succession
Gentleman Jack
The Leftovers
Sharp Objects
Barry

Just in case you still have a free hour every week, HBO's 'The Plot Against America' is also good, based on an historical fiction novel of the same name.  A nice break from what I wish were a fictional present; showing how seemingly good, convenient intentions can go awry.

This is a good list.

I am burning out on tv, keep looking for high quality shows, but there aren’t that many andI have tried them all.

I think I will finish the current season of Curb and then drop HBO, drop Acorn,  maybe even drop Netflix. Just for a while. That will force myself to do more podcast listening and reading.

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #1146 on: May 06, 2020, 09:33:46 AM »

Yes, I had heard The Plot Against America is good. Got it on my list

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #1147 on: May 06, 2020, 09:38:37 AM »
I am burning out on tv, keep looking for high quality shows, but there aren’t that many andI have tried them all.

I think I will finish the current season of Curb and then drop HBO, drop Acorn,  maybe even drop Netflix. Just for a while. That will force myself to do more podcast listening and reading.

I hear ya. I rotate through streaming services. For the next few months, it'll be HBO Now and SiriusXM with an occasional side of Hulu. I do listen to quite a few podcasts or vlogs on YouTube, mostly while I'm crafting. I like the music channels on Sirius for background noise around the house.

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #1148 on: May 06, 2020, 03:52:27 PM »
Were there any other sci-fi geeks watching the last season of Star Wars: The Clone Wars?

The last four episodes of the series all tied together and were very well done. I especially thought the last two episodes were fantastic. The artistry of the music and animation in those two episodes was truly amazing.

I just started watching the series and used a guide for chronological viewing. Did you watch Rebels?

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #1149 on: May 06, 2020, 03:54:43 PM »
We finished Silicon Valley recently the last season or so is meh. Need to finish House of Cards, Westworld, and Punisher season 2. We also finished up Hunters on Prime
Altered Carbon is also on the list. For humor, its been What we do in the Shadows.

Keep the ideas\suggestions coming!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!