Author Topic: What TV series do you like?  (Read 68474 times)

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What TV series do you like?
« Reply #600 on: February 04, 2019, 06:39:01 AM »
Someone mentioned The Orville upthread, and I have to give it a big shout out, too--it's very uneven, and not every episode will bring joy, but when it's good...oh my goodness...it's Very Good. Heartfelt, funny, weird,  optimistic...can be hard to categorize, and this is not your classic Isaac Asimov's science fiction. But a very entertaining show--sort of a parody of  Star Trek: TNG and a tribute to it at the same time.  A must-see is the best episode of them all--Season 2, Episode 6..."A Happy Refrain." Cutest, funniest, most romantic love story ever, and great music.  The Orville is available on Amazon for streaming at $2.99 per episode. Take reviews with a grain of salt--regular people like it much better than the sour-puss critics do. (The crabby Den of Geek critic needs to have his house rolled in toilet paper.)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #601 on: February 04, 2019, 09:54:43 AM »
Someone mentioned The Orville upthread, and I have to give it a big shout out, too--it's very uneven, and not every episode will bring joy, but when it's good...oh my goodness...it's Very Good. Heartfelt, funny, weird,  optimistic...can be hard to categorize, and this is not your classic Isaac Asimov's science fiction. But a very entertaining show--sort of a parody of  Star Trek: TNG and a tribute to it at the same time.  A must-see is the best episode of them all--Season 2, Episode 6..."A Happy Refrain." Cutest, funniest, most romantic love story ever, and great music.  The Orville is available on Amazon for streaming at $2.99 per episode. Take reviews with a grain of salt--regular people like it much better than the sour-puss critics do. (The crabby Den of Geek critic needs to have his house rolled in toilet paper.)

The Orville is weird.  I had expected it to be a lighthearted comedy in the trappings of sci-fi . . . but they appear to earnestly be trying to do a Star Trek style show.  It's just a Star Trek style show where they dropped a lot of the pretension and seriousness that was baked into Roddenberry's stuff.  Kinda a mixed bag, but it's much more watchable than I had thought it would be.

By the River

• Stubble
« Reply #602 on: February 05, 2019, 08:20:24 AM »
Definitely agree that The Orville is weird and uneven but I don't miss an episode.  I even like the little bits about working in a bureaucracy.  For example, Captain Ed asking Cmdr. Kelly if she has finished annual employee reviews.  Kelly reports that the blob, Yaphit, asked about parental leave.  Ed: "Is he planning on splitting in half?" Kelly "You know HR won't let me ask that."      I feel the corporate policies and procedures pain.

SnipTheDog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #603 on: February 05, 2019, 08:55:56 PM »
Letterkenny is a fun romp  - pitter patter, let's get at 'er.

Sawedoff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Revenue Herald
« Reply #604 on: February 07, 2019, 06:20:02 AM »
Catching Lucifer on Netflix recently. It is surprisingly funny!

SaucyAussie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #605 on: February 07, 2019, 08:30:51 AM »
Luther is back!

MatthewK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #606 on: February 07, 2019, 09:08:20 AM »
Wife and I just started watching Parks and Rec on Netflix, very funny. We enjoyed Arrested Development so this is right up our alley. I was aware of it when it was on network television but never watched it because....we just don't do commercial tv well. :-)

soccerluvof4

• Magnum Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #607 on: February 08, 2019, 04:46:11 AM »
Starterd watching Bordertown on Netflix last night. Takes place in Finland so the mouth/Words are off of course but its in English. I find after a bit it doesnt bother me. Anyhow I think its really really good.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #608 on: February 08, 2019, 07:11:26 AM »
The Justice League show from 2001. That show is far superior to the new movies.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #609 on: February 09, 2019, 06:18:22 AM »
I am very excited that the digital sub-channel Heroes & Icons in the USA is showing all the old Star Trek shows in a programming block. It's becoming a regular thing now after dinner on Friday nights to watch an episode of a new show we saved on our DVR and then change to H&I and watch several episodes of old Star Trek shows back-to-back. A lot of retro-futuristic geeky fun and it costs nothing.

OtherJen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #610 on: February 09, 2019, 08:29:50 PM »
We just started watching Dark on Netflix. German sci-fi, looks to be convoluted and we'll done.

Roboturner

• Bristles
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #611 on: February 11, 2019, 11:31:07 AM »
We just started watching Dark on Netflix. German sci-fi, looks to be convoluted and we'll done.

i loved it

Nick_Miller

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #612 on: February 11, 2019, 01:09:47 PM »
Just finished Season 1 of Ozark.

LOVED it.

Almost up there with Breaking Bad. Not quite, mind you, but the writers of Ozark manged to layer sooooooo much conflict into the story, it was amazing. They wove in internal conflict with personal conflict and tons and tons of external conflict, all with very high stakes.

We're on to Season 2 this weekend!

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #613 on: February 12, 2019, 12:20:53 AM »
I watched Russian Doll over the weekend and enjoyed it. Groundhog day about a (not entirely terribly likeable) woman in New York on her 30th birthday. The second episode dragged for me a bit but the series picks up after she meets Alan. Eight episodes in total.

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #614 on: February 12, 2019, 06:35:41 AM »
Netflix: Trailer Park Boys: Out of the Park: USA

Demented but funny!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #615 on: February 12, 2019, 08:09:21 AM »

i loved it

Good show, cool concept, pacing was a little odd at times though.

MoolahLula

• Stubble
« Reply #616 on: February 12, 2019, 08:49:36 PM »
My current likes:  The Crown on Netflix and new episodes of Vera on my Britbox subscription with Amazon.  I thought all the current episodes of Vera were on AcornTV but I discovered new stuff on Britbox.