Author Topic: What TV series do you like?  (Read 698272 times)

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What TV series do you like?
« Reply #600 on: February 04, 2019, 06:39:01 AM »
Someone mentioned The Orville upthread, and I have to give it a big shout out, too--it's very uneven, and not every episode will bring joy, but when it's good...oh my goodness...it's Very Good. Heartfelt, funny, weird,  optimistic...can be hard to categorize, and this is not your classic Isaac Asimov's science fiction. But a very entertaining show--sort of a parody of  Star Trek: TNG and a tribute to it at the same time.  A must-see is the best episode of them all--Season 2, Episode 6..."A Happy Refrain." Cutest, funniest, most romantic love story ever, and great music.  The Orville is available on Amazon for streaming at $2.99 per episode. Take reviews with a grain of salt--regular people like it much better than the sour-puss critics do. (The crabby Den of Geek critic needs to have his house rolled in toilet paper.)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #601 on: February 04, 2019, 09:54:43 AM »
Someone mentioned The Orville upthread, and I have to give it a big shout out, too--it's very uneven, and not every episode will bring joy, but when it's good...oh my goodness...it's Very Good. Heartfelt, funny, weird,  optimistic...can be hard to categorize, and this is not your classic Isaac Asimov's science fiction. But a very entertaining show--sort of a parody of  Star Trek: TNG and a tribute to it at the same time.  A must-see is the best episode of them all--Season 2, Episode 6..."A Happy Refrain." Cutest, funniest, most romantic love story ever, and great music.  The Orville is available on Amazon for streaming at $2.99 per episode. Take reviews with a grain of salt--regular people like it much better than the sour-puss critics do. (The crabby Den of Geek critic needs to have his house rolled in toilet paper.)

The Orville is weird.  I had expected it to be a lighthearted comedy in the trappings of sci-fi . . . but they appear to earnestly be trying to do a Star Trek style show.  It's just a Star Trek style show where they dropped a lot of the pretension and seriousness that was baked into Roddenberry's stuff.  Kinda a mixed bag, but it's much more watchable than I had thought it would be.

By the River

• Bristles
« Reply #602 on: February 05, 2019, 08:20:24 AM »
Definitely agree that The Orville is weird and uneven but I don't miss an episode.  I even like the little bits about working in a bureaucracy.  For example, Captain Ed asking Cmdr. Kelly if she has finished annual employee reviews.  Kelly reports that the blob, Yaphit, asked about parental leave.  Ed: "Is he planning on splitting in half?" Kelly "You know HR won't let me ask that."      I feel the corporate policies and procedures pain.

SnipTheDog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #603 on: February 05, 2019, 08:55:56 PM »
Letterkenny is a fun romp  - pitter patter, let's get at 'er.

Aeowulf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Aeowulf Forums
« Reply #604 on: February 07, 2019, 06:20:02 AM »
Catching Lucifer on Netflix recently. It is surprisingly funny!

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #605 on: February 07, 2019, 08:30:51 AM »
Luther is back!

MatthewK

• Stubble
« Reply #606 on: February 07, 2019, 09:08:20 AM »
Wife and I just started watching Parks and Rec on Netflix, very funny. We enjoyed Arrested Development so this is right up our alley. I was aware of it when it was on network television but never watched it because....we just don't do commercial tv well. :-)

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #607 on: February 08, 2019, 04:46:11 AM »
Starterd watching Bordertown on Netflix last night. Takes place in Finland so the mouth/Words are off of course but its in English. I find after a bit it doesnt bother me. Anyhow I think its really really good.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #608 on: February 08, 2019, 07:11:26 AM »
The Justice League show from 2001. That show is far superior to the new movies.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #609 on: February 09, 2019, 06:18:22 AM »
I am very excited that the digital sub-channel Heroes & Icons in the USA is showing all the old Star Trek shows in a programming block. It's becoming a regular thing now after dinner on Friday nights to watch an episode of a new show we saved on our DVR and then change to H&I and watch several episodes of old Star Trek shows back-to-back. A lot of retro-futuristic geeky fun and it costs nothing.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #610 on: February 09, 2019, 08:29:50 PM »
We just started watching Dark on Netflix. German sci-fi, looks to be convoluted and we'll done.

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #611 on: February 11, 2019, 11:31:07 AM »
We just started watching Dark on Netflix. German sci-fi, looks to be convoluted and we'll done.

i loved it

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #612 on: February 11, 2019, 01:09:47 PM »
Just finished Season 1 of Ozark.

LOVED it.

Almost up there with Breaking Bad. Not quite, mind you, but the writers of Ozark manged to layer sooooooo much conflict into the story, it was amazing. They wove in internal conflict with personal conflict and tons and tons of external conflict, all with very high stakes.

We're on to Season 2 this weekend!

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #613 on: February 12, 2019, 12:20:53 AM »
I watched Russian Doll over the weekend and enjoyed it. Groundhog day about a (not entirely terribly likeable) woman in New York on her 30th birthday. The second episode dragged for me a bit but the series picks up after she meets Alan. Eight episodes in total.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #614 on: February 12, 2019, 06:35:41 AM »
Netflix: Trailer Park Boys: Out of the Park: USA

Demented but funny!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #615 on: February 12, 2019, 08:09:21 AM »

i loved it

Good show, cool concept, pacing was a little odd at times though.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #616 on: February 12, 2019, 08:49:36 PM »
My current likes:  The Crown on Netflix and new episodes of Vera on my Britbox subscription with Amazon.  I thought all the current episodes of Vera were on AcornTV but I discovered new stuff on Britbox. 

greysolive

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #617 on: February 22, 2019, 03:09:47 AM »
Bosch
True Detective
Criminal Minds
Castle Rock
The 100
Lucifer
Manhunt Unabomber
Mindhunter
Penny Dreadful
Stranger Things
Sharp Objects
The Expanse
The Haunting of Hill House
The Leftovers
The Looming Tower

SpeedReader

• Stubble
« Reply #618 on: February 23, 2019, 10:29:48 AM »
I strongly recommend Counterpart.  It's what you'd get if John LeCarre wrote science-fiction.  Twisty and fascinating.

Re The Orville, I loved Season One but lately it's turned into The Young and The Restless in Space.  (Seriously, gossip about people's love lives on the bridge?!)  We dropped it from our DVR listing. 

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #619 on: February 24, 2019, 05:42:26 AM »
The Orville is getting seriously better and is rising to a higher level. The latest --Season 2, episode 8 "The Identity--Part I" will have you on the edge of your seat in the same way TNG did when Riker told Worf to "Fire!" on Locutus of Borg. If anyone has stopped watching The Orville because of the dumb stuff--I'd recommend putting it back in your line up.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #620 on: February 24, 2019, 07:18:43 AM »
Am currently watching season 2 of Handmaid’s Tale. I probably will not continue into season 3,it’s so much of the same thing. There are things I like about it, things I don’t like about it.  I love the costuming, the characterization, the acting, the sets.

I do not like the over all unrelentingly dark atmosphere. It is overkill. That is the same reason I stopped watching The Man in the High Castle. Both based on very strong science fiction books, both very well-crafted television productions.

Handmaid’s Tale, once past the initial source material, is making logical story arcs except that the weiters just are not adding anything new. I get the sense that Offred will be coddled then punished then engage in an act of defiance then punished then coddled until the producers say “enough, we are done.”

I burn out on so many TV shows because it is obvious that there is no place for the writers to go but the money machine is flogging the production.

The absolute best episodic TV is that conceived of by good storytellers, and supported by excellent production values and more importantly, it ends when it needs to end, the story ends it, not a commercial value.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 07:23:06 AM by iris lily »

MatthewK

• Stubble
« Reply #621 on: February 24, 2019, 11:10:56 AM »
Starterd watching Bordertown on Netflix last night. Takes place in Finland so the mouth/Words are off of course but its in English. I find after a bit it doesnt bother me. Anyhow I think its really really good.
I like this one a lot, just 5 episodes in. Agree the whole mouth/audio thing was weird at first, I thought our connection was acting up or something. Now I don't notice it.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 11:13:57 AM by MatthewK »

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #622 on: February 24, 2019, 03:04:21 PM »
Absolutely Loved the 4 seasons of Line of Duty on Hulu. Just did not want it to end.!

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #623 on: February 26, 2019, 10:50:55 AM »
The "Umbrella Academy" is fun, it's sort of like an "X Men" riff.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #624 on: February 26, 2019, 07:56:42 PM »
We’ve been cracking up at “Kim’s Convenience” on Netflix. It’s a well done sitcom, and the central family is loving without being sappy and annoying.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #625 on: February 27, 2019, 03:25:05 AM »
Since I finished Line of Duty on Hulu it was a struggle finding a new one I would like. But yea and behold I dug around and stard watching Silk on Hulu. Wife and I are both loving it. I am just stuck on these BBC series even though I have to put the captions on to make sure I am understanding things right.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #626 on: February 27, 2019, 08:00:22 AM »
Since I finished Line of Duty on Hulu it was a struggle finding a new one I would like. But yea and behold I dug around and stard watching Silk on Hulu. Wife and I are both loving it. I am just stuck on these BBC series even though I have to put the captions on to make sure I am understanding things right.

Other really great British series are:  Luther, Sherlock, The Detectorists, Orphan Black, Travelers, Black Mirror.  All great.  Not to mention one of my favorites, Dr. Who (the rebooted series). 

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #627 on: February 28, 2019, 06:49:49 AM »

Other really great British series are:  Luther, Sherlock, The Detectorists, Orphan Black, Travelers, Black Mirror.  All great.  Not to mention one of my favorites, Dr. Who (the rebooted series).

So many great Brit shows.  I would add Broadchurch, Happy Valley, Shetland, Endeavour, Cracker, Killing Eve, The Fall, and if you get tired of all the murders, Last Tango in Halifax is a lot of fun.

I'm not familiar with Line of Duty - will have to give it a try.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #628 on: February 28, 2019, 09:50:42 AM »

So many great Brit shows.  I would add Broadchurch, Happy Valley, Shetland, Endeavour, Cracker, Killing Eve, The Fall, and if you get tired of all the murders, Last Tango in Halifax is a lot of fun.

I am not a big fan of  murder and detective shows, but that said, I did very much enjoy Happy Valley ( for the local color) and The Fall ( for seeing a murderer in his every day life, plus Gillian
Anderson is my new girl-crush) and Broadchurch (because...plot twist of sorts)

I am casting about now for something to watch. I’m trying Sex Education and I I think it will be OK as I get further into it. I just signed up for Netflix and I’m going to cram a few things into my first month that is free before I decide to continue with it.

greysolive

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #629 on: February 28, 2019, 11:06:18 AM »
Been watching True Detective S3, watched the first 4, but I'm going to wait until it's all been on and watch them all over a few evenings. I can't cope with an episode a week.

Also watching American Gods on Amazon, very good, but bizarre.
Leftovers S1 as well, only done 1st episode so far.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #630 on: February 28, 2019, 12:11:01 PM »

I am not a big fan of  murder and detective shows, but that said, I did very much enjoy Happy Valley ( for the local color) and The Fall ( for seeing a murderer in his every day life, plus Gillian

I am casting about now for something to watch. I’m trying Sex Education and I I think it will be OK as I get further into it. I just signed up for Netflix and I’m going to cram a few things into my first month that is free before I decide to continue with it.

Have you watched Dr. Who?  It's a lot of fun especially for a sci fi show.  Another show that's delightful is The Detectorists, which is a light comedy about a metal detector club in small town England. 

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #631 on: February 28, 2019, 12:27:23 PM »

You might like Last Tango in Halifax then.  It's set in the same part of England and casts Sarah Lancashire in almost completely opposite role.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 12:30:23 PM by SaucyAussie »

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #632 on: February 28, 2019, 12:58:06 PM »
We’ve been cracking up at “Kim’s Convenience” on Netflix. It’s a well done sitcom, and the central family is loving without being sappy and annoying.

Another vote for Kim's Convenience here!  Very enjoyable little sitcom.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #633 on: March 03, 2019, 10:12:15 AM »
I enjoyed Colony on Netflix, sci fi.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #634 on: March 17, 2019, 05:53:37 AM »
I finished the third episode of season 1 of Secret City on Netflix. Really enjoying it.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #635 on: March 17, 2019, 06:13:41 AM »
Watched Bohemian Rhapsody on VUDU.

OMG, was really good! Just love(d) Freddy Mercury! Charismatic and flamboyant!

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #636 on: March 17, 2019, 09:40:32 AM »

Finished the 1st season of Bordertown & starting the 2nd. Really enjoying this show. Thanks for the rec!

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #637 on: March 17, 2019, 11:15:44 AM »
The Orville is the only show I'll watch on regular cable TV. (Fox channel). Heartfelt, optimistic, humorous--but themes are getting darker and more complex. If you like the old Star Trek, you'll probably want to watch The Orville. Warning: Can be uneven, but getting better all the time.

The Detectorists on (I think) Acorn. Full of quirky, gentle British humor, a great folk-sounding soundtrack, and gorgeous views of the English countryside. The protagonists are hobbyist metal detectorists--should be boring, but it isn't. I'm going back and re-watching episodes that are particularly touching or funny--or where I've missed dialogue because of the accents. There are 3 seasons. Anglophiles and English history buffs should like this one, I think. And it does not make fun of metal detectorists.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #638 on: March 18, 2019, 04:17:03 PM »
We just started Season 3 of "Daredevil" on Netflix. I like this show a lot because not only is it a good story with fine writing, direction, and acting, but it's also one of the few TV shows or movies out there that show Catholicism in a good light. It's refreshing.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #639 on: March 18, 2019, 05:49:44 PM »
I just started watching Workin' Moms on Netflix.  It's a Canadian show.  It's a half hour comedy about, you guessed it, working moms.  It starts with moms going back to work after maternity leave, and since it's Canada, the kids are about 8-9 months old or older, instead of 6-12 weeks old, like in the US.  It's definitely an adult comedy, not a family sitcom.  As a working mom, I find it highly enjoyable and relatable.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #640 on: March 19, 2019, 06:19:44 AM »
The Indian Doctor. 3-seasons, 5 episodes per season. Based on the real-life story of an Indian doctor and his wife moving to a mining town/village in Wales after a personal tragedy in India and to seek a fresh start.
Season 1 deals with a dodgy mine boss and black lung and destroying racist stereotypes.
Season 2 deals with the arrival of his MIL, a smallpox outbreak, and an annoying new Reverend who's hellbent on prayer vs medicine. <- This rings so true even today.
Season 3 - yet to watch. I'll update this post.

Watching on Amazon Prime Video.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #641 on: March 19, 2019, 04:23:26 PM »
The Fix! Very good!

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #642 on: March 27, 2019, 09:13:15 PM »
Enjoying:

Love, Death, Robots
Queer Eye
Humans

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #643 on: March 28, 2019, 08:36:16 AM »
Letterkenny is a fun romp  - pitter patter, let's get at 'er.

We just started watching this last night. It is ridiculous and funny. "That's the toughest guy in Letterkenny." Cut to Wayne, wearing a party hat, plaid shirt covered in frosting, going nuts with a party favor. I choked on my drink.

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #644 on: March 28, 2019, 09:26:07 AM »
Just finished binge-watching the 3rd season of The Expanse. So good but not enough Chrisjen Avasarala ;-)

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #645 on: April 27, 2019, 08:21:51 AM »
Just finished wating one Mississippi, very well done show. A comedy family drama but light Tig Nataro stars

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #646 on: April 27, 2019, 10:08:51 AM »
Just finished binge-watching the 3rd season of The Expanse. So good but not enough Chrisjen Avasarala ;-)

Absolutely.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #647 on: April 27, 2019, 09:15:03 PM »
Into the 3rd season of "Justified" on Amazon Prime. Just loving it.

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #648 on: April 29, 2019, 08:01:50 AM »
"Bless This Mess" on ABC, I think (we get it off Hulu).  First two episodes have been very funny and we've rewatched them multiple times as we've introduced it to more of our family. 

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #649 on: April 29, 2019, 08:50:42 AM »
I binged out on Hoarder on HULU and watched 3 seasons now there are no more to watch. It was seasons 7, 8, 9. Does anyone know where I can watch seasons 1-6? I want to watch them on TV not on the computer. I don't know why but I am possessed with these hoarder people! It just blows my mind the accumulation!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!