Author Topic: What TV series do you like?  (Read 698295 times)

MatthewK

• Stubble
Re: What TV series do you like?
« Reply #550 on: December 09, 2018, 12:39:27 PM »
On Netflix....
Finished Frontier which I really enjoyed, now watching The Last Kingdom...so damn good. I seem to really like these shows that are a bit disturbing, my wife jokingly says she's becoming concerned........I think jokingly :-)
For reference I also liked Hell on Wheels, Turn, Godless......Yes they are a bit disturbing but they have very good story lines and I like the historic aspect of them. History was always one of my favorite subjects.
So wondering if any one else out there enjoy these shows and has any recommendation for similars...we only have Netflix. Thanks

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #551 on: December 09, 2018, 12:52:20 PM »
Watching (binging actually, 5 episodes last night!) Breaking Bad. I personally dislike shows that glorify the criminal life, but this show is my meth, so hard to stop. Half the entertainment comes in the form of either of the two main characters blunders and their series of screwups to "address" the blunder, the other half from wondering how they're going to scrape by to live (or cook) another day.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #552 on: December 09, 2018, 02:00:13 PM »
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is fantastically well done
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 05:07:10 PM by dustinst22 »

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #553 on: December 09, 2018, 03:48:23 PM »
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is fantastically done

One of my favorites too!

I especially enjoyed the episodes set in the Catskills in the new season.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #554 on: December 10, 2018, 07:05:41 AM »
just finished 'the bodyguard'. pretty intense.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #555 on: December 10, 2018, 07:09:20 AM »
Started watching 'The Deuce'.  It's a pretty cool show about the grittier areas of 1970's New York.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #556 on: December 11, 2018, 09:33:19 AM »
I rented Westworld from the library. It's pretty good. Some of the repetitive scenes are grating on me though. Like, I get it, they're in a loop.

Dogastrophe

• Bristles
« Reply #557 on: December 12, 2018, 05:21:06 AM »
Dr. Who

Frontier - about half way through first season.

Last Kingdom - it's becoming a bit repetitive ... Alfred loves me (I'm a Saxon), Alfred hate me (I'm a Dane), he loves me again (Yay, Saxon!).

Marco - I was a bit disappointed that this didn't make it to a 3rd season.  I felt that it was becoming interesting after season 2 made up for the boring haphazard season 1.

There are several other series that I started but never quite finished - Ozark, The Wire, SOA, Narcos.  Someday I'll get back to them

ATMD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #558 on: December 12, 2018, 07:09:27 AM »

I'd love to hear about other great sci-fi and drama TV shows on Netflix, in particular. :)

There's a ton.  Luther, The Walking Dead, New Girl, Parks & Recreation, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Into the Badlands, Love, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Sherlock, Miss Fischer's Murder Mysteries, Penny Dreadful, Spartacus, House of Cards, Mad Men, Sense 8, The 100, Copper, Hell on Wheels, Longmire, Psycho Pass (anime), Longmire, The Fall, The Tudors, Top of the Lake, Continuum, The Killing, iZombie, Z Nation, White Collar, Nikita, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, The Punisher, Dexter: all were excellent or at least very enjoyable in their various ways.

There are lots of awesome shows on this list thanks, I particular like the fast paced Z Nation, it seems like the writers get very creative and I also enjoy the zombie genre

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #559 on: December 13, 2018, 10:59:07 AM »
I know "The Good Place" has been mentioned here. I also highly recommend "The Good Place" podcast. They do an episode to correspond with each episode of the TV show, and usually will interview one of the actors and one of the "behind-the-scenes" staff who worked on it. The episode where they talked to the animal trainer after the TV show did a plot about each cast member getting a pet was particularly fun.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #560 on: January 06, 2019, 01:10:11 PM »
For those of you with Amazon Prime, the TV series "Howard's End" (originally aired on Starz) is excellent. Hayley Atwell is one of my favorite actresses, but I thought it was well-done overall--definitely recommend if you like costume dramas.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #561 on: January 07, 2019, 07:20:03 AM »
I watched Consumed over the Christmas and really enjoyed it. It's a Canadian de-cluttering-type show where almost everything is taken out of the houses for two weeks and then the people go to the warehouse their stuff is stored in and are supposed to select 25% of what's there to keep.

And then Marie Kondo's Tidying Up turned up on Netflix as well in the new year. Also a nice show, although they didn't show all of the steps for everybody and I would have kind of liked to have seen that.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #562 on: January 08, 2019, 08:19:37 AM »
watching 'the man in the high castle'. i'm not sure if it's good yet.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #563 on: January 08, 2019, 08:38:01 AM »
watching 'the man in the high castle'. i'm not sure if it's good yet.

It starts out slow and then gets really good.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #564 on: January 09, 2019, 03:09:57 AM »
Started watching Prey on Hulu. Its pretty good. Only two seasons of 3 shows but were enjoying it.

teamzissou00

• Stubble
« Reply #565 on: January 09, 2019, 04:57:40 PM »
I'll chime in with some of my favorites that not everyone seems to know about:

Comedy:
- Happy Endings (3 seasons on Hulu).  Personally this is in my all time top 10 comedy list
- Coupling - (4 seasons on amazon prime).  Great friends-style British comedy.
- Forever - (1 season on amazon prime.)  Odd and funny dramedy with Fred Armisen - similar to another popular show.

Drama:
- Fortitude (i only watched season 1) - weird, creepy, and by the end of S1 I liked what i saw, but had no intention of moving forward.
- Lie to me - good procedural with Tim Roth
- Shows that most people know about and like: Luther (netflix), Black Mirror (netflix), Peaky Blinders (Netflix), The Sinner (Netflix)
- I also enjoyed The Shooter (s1 and s2) - but i understand it's a guilty pleasure. 

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #566 on: January 10, 2019, 03:31:22 AM »
Finished Prey on Hulu Last night and it was ok.

I found on Hulu they have 7 more seasons of DCI Banks than I believe on Netflix they only had one. Anyhow I started watching that again and its one of my favorites for sure.

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #567 on: January 10, 2019, 09:27:06 AM »
Started watching Lodge 49 on Hulu. So good! I've been trying to avoid shows with white guy protagonists but making an exception for this one. Not sure how to describe it. Spiritual successor of Big Lebowski?

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #568 on: January 17, 2019, 03:16:58 PM »
Really got into Bojack Horseman (Netflix). Adult 'comedy' cartoon that's heady and depressing - each season has gotten better than the last.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #569 on: January 17, 2019, 03:43:03 PM »
The Kominsky Method (Netflix) has been good.  The next season of Grace and Frankie will be out in a couple days (also Netflix).

ATMD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #570 on: January 17, 2019, 04:42:09 PM »
Big Bang Theory

Sherlock

Z-Nation

Lethal Weapon (the series with Damon Wayans)

Bojack Horseman (I've always like Simpsons, South Park, Family Guy etc)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #571 on: January 17, 2019, 08:58:57 PM »
We only just started watching Brooklyn 9-9 but are enjoying it. Definitely our brand of humor.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #572 on: January 18, 2019, 08:22:48 AM »
We only just started watching Brooklyn 9-9 but are enjoying it. Definitely our brand of humor.
Would also 100% recommend Brooklyn Nine-Nine.  If you like Parks and Rec and/or The Good Place, it's similar humor-wise.  It's on Hulu, and now NBC.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #573 on: January 18, 2019, 03:52:48 PM »
Yes, Parks and Rec had a similar goofy workplace humor vibe and great writing. Excellent show.

Husband generally hates documentary-style shows where the actors deliver lines directly to the camera (see also "The Office," which he refused to watch) and only barely tolerated Parks and Rec because he liked Ron Swanson and and Andy Dwyer. Brooklyn Nine-Nine is a straight-up standard sitcom, which means we both enjoy it.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #574 on: January 21, 2019, 05:06:40 AM »
Finally finished DCI Banks, really wished they would of done more than 5 seasons was such a great show on Hulu and started watching Rebus. Another BBC Crime series but this one takes place in Scotland.

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #575 on: January 21, 2019, 09:46:47 AM »
Man, comparing Brooklyn Nine Nine to Parks and Rec is some high praise!

Parks and Rec had SO much heart, and I know some people didn't like the P&R/Office documentary set-up, but I really thought it built intimacy with the characters. P&R nicely balanced goofy with serious; it's a tough balance to reach.

I'll have to check out BNN, but now I expect an absolutely wonderful show.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 10:23:03 AM by Nick_Miller »

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #576 on: January 21, 2019, 10:03:05 AM »

Parks and Rec had SO much heart, and I know some people didn't like the P&R/Office documentary set-up, but I really thought it built intimacy with the characters. P&C nicely balanced goofy with serious; it's a tough balance to reach.

Definitely worth watching but maybe temper your expectations a bit...

It's clever and fast paced and it does have some of the same kind of humor, but I don't think there's nearly as much depth to the characters. They each have their set of quirks and they pretty much stick to it.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #577 on: January 21, 2019, 07:19:45 PM »
We just watched the Berlin episode of "Parts Unknown" (Anthony Bourdain), and it reminded me how much I'd like another season of "Babylon Berlin" (Netflix), a truly engrossing show for all who either understand spoken German or don't mind subtitles.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #578 on: January 22, 2019, 10:18:11 AM »

Parks and Rec had SO much heart, and I know some people didn't like the P&R/Office documentary set-up, but I really thought it built intimacy with the characters. P&C nicely balanced goofy with serious; it's a tough balance to reach.

Definitely worth watching but maybe temper your expectations a bit...

It's clever and fast paced and it does have some of the same kind of humor, but I don't think there's nearly as much depth to the characters. They each have their set of quirks and they pretty much stick to it.
Are you saying he should curb... his enthusiasm?

I'll see myself out.

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #579 on: January 22, 2019, 11:12:21 AM »
If you like snappy dialogue with a healthy dose of violence check out Get Shorty, Killing Eve, The Patriot.

wild forest

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #580 on: January 22, 2019, 11:31:53 AM »
Ray Donovan
Homeland
Game of Thrones
TWD.

I think those are the only 4 shows I'm into.

I never missed a single episode of Ray Donovan since it started. I think it's one of the best show on TV. Season 6 just ended. One of the best season I've seen.  And the best thing about it, is that you can watch it for free over the net. You just need to know where to look. Actually you can pretty much watch anything for free over the net..just need to arm your PC with Norton Security.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #581 on: January 22, 2019, 01:21:58 PM »
Ray Donovan
Homeland
Game of Thrones
TWD.

I never missed a single episode of Ray Donovan since it started. I think it's one of the best show on TV. Season 6 just ended. One of the best season I've seen.  And the best thing about it, is that you can watch it for free over the net. You just need to know where to look. Actually you can pretty much watch anything for free over the net..just need to arm your PC with Norton Security.
Or you could also pay for your pay entertainment.  It's really not expensive.  I pirated an unbelievable amount of TV/movies in high school/college, but these days content providers have actually caught up and pretty much everything is available to stream somewhere legitimately, or purchase for pretty cheap.  The argument for piracy has gotten very weak.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #582 on: January 22, 2019, 01:40:26 PM »
Ray Donovan
Homeland
Game of Thrones
TWD.

Or you could also pay for your pay entertainment.  It's really not expensive.  I pirated an unbelievable amount of TV/movies in high school/college, but these days content providers have actually caught up and pretty much everything is available to stream somewhere legitimately, or purchase for pretty cheap.  The argument for piracy has gotten very weak.

Agreed.  And if it's too expensive to stream, often your local library will have DVDs or blurays of popular movies or shows. 

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #583 on: January 22, 2019, 04:15:57 PM »

It always was.  And I knew people years ago that did it when they could have easily afforded the content.

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #584 on: January 23, 2019, 12:07:30 PM »
Yeah the piracy issue is a sensitive one especially for people who create content and see people access it without reimbursing the creator.

I've found my books (the books I've spent years writing, taking time from my family and friends on nights and weekends) on all sorts of piracy sites. I've tried to report them but it's whack-a-mole. New sites pop up constantly. I can't stop people from cheating me. I get paid nothing from those people. I know the logical argument is "many of those people, college kids and general cheapskates, were never going to pay me anything anyway," and I understand that, but I feel it's really lousy that people do an end run around the legitimate (paid) platforms that allow authors and other content creators to be paid for their work.

Sorry, I won't comment again on this. I don't want to derail.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 12:11:40 PM by Nick_Miller »

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #585 on: January 23, 2019, 01:45:33 PM »

It always was.  And I knew people years ago that did it when they could have easily afforded the content.
Years ago, TV/movie piracy offered a product you could not buy at any price. 

It's 2009 (I'm in college), and I've heard about this show Arrested Development.  I want to click a button on my computer and watch the first season.  I can't do that legally.

My options:

I could check the TV schedule and see if there are reruns on, and then try to find when the first episode is on, plan my day around it, plug in my antenna and TV tuner, and then sit through ads and be unable to pause it.  No thanks.

I could do the same thing, and buy a DVR or VCR or whatever, and record it.  No thanks.  I'd be able to fast-forward through the commercials and pause it to pee, but the quality would probably be janky, and I would have to buy hardware that I really don't want.

I could borrow the DVD set from the library, from a friend, or buy it.  No thanks.  FBI warning and unskippable trailers (for what was "upcoming" in 2003) and other garbage before the menu?  Switching discs?  Storing physical media?  480p?

Or, I could illegally click download and press play.  It starts right from the beginning in perfect 1080p on my computer, and I happily watch it.  That's what I did, instead of paying money for an inferior product.  It's a great show.

In 2019, you can load up Netflix and just start.  That's what I did last year when I rewatched the whole thing with my girlfriend.  And was even easier than piracy was in 2009: we press a button our TV remote and it just shows up in 1080p.  If you turn it off in the middle of something, it even keeps track of where you were for when you come back.

Netflix didn't start the "binging TV" trend; piracy did.  They just made it easier, paid, and legal.  The same cycle happened with MP3s and Napster ten years earlier.  There's a reason Hulu, Amazon Prime, and Spotify (I think it's those three) all have cheap subscription options for students.  They want to not only get you hooked on their service, but keep you away from the piracy route that used to be the only option.  None of that existed (Spotify did, but you had to pretend you lived in Sweden and set up a VPN) in my heyday of piracy.

I pirated Game of Thrones until HBO Now was a thing.  HBO saw the piracy numbers (it's been the top pirated show literally every year it's aired), and gave people a legal paid option that was better than the pirated option.  Now they get my $15/mo during Game of Thrones season.

It also happened with PC gaming piracy and Steam.  Gabe Newell, CEO of Valve:

"We think there is a fundamental misconception about piracy. Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem," he said. "If a pirate offers a product anywhere in the world, 24 x 7, purchasable from the convenience of your personal computer, and the legal provider says the product is region-locked, will come to your country 3 months after the US release, and can only be purchased at a brick and mortar store, then the pirate's service is more valuable."

The proof is in the proverbial pudding. "Prior to entering the Russian market, we were told that Russia was a waste of time because everyone would pirate our products. Russia is now about to become [Steam's] largest market in Europe," Newell said.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #586 on: January 23, 2019, 01:50:13 PM »
Long-time HBO series fan (Oz, Sopranos, GoT, etc.) Got season 3 of True Detective lined up and ready to go.

Waiting for The Walking Dead to return next month...can't wait.

Just started The Passage on Fox, decent so far

Guilty pleasure...Poldark...my wife got me to watch that with her and now we're through 3 seasons, lol

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #587 on: January 27, 2019, 04:15:50 AM »
Started Watching JO on Hulu last night. French Detective Series with many know actors but it was just okay so far in the first season. Going to continue to watch though.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #588 on: January 27, 2019, 08:39:02 AM »
Just started watching the final season of "Longmire" on Netflix. I wish more shows like that one existed which showed stories about people living somewhere other than California, New York, and Chicago. There are massive sections of the United States where people live and they rarely get to see TV shows or movies about people they recognize. There are a few shows bucking this trend like Ozark and Better Call Saul, but mostly Hollywood ignores "flyover country."

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #589 on: January 27, 2019, 08:58:11 AM »
Just started watching the final season of "Longmire" on Netflix. I wish more shows like that one existed which showed stories about people living somewhere other than California, New York, and Chicago. There are massive sections of the United States where people live and they rarely get to see TV shows or movies about people they recognize. There are a few shows bucking this trend like Ozark and Better Call Saul, but mostly Hollywood ignores "flyover country."

Yes. I actually liked “Detroit 187” and “Low Winter Sun”, but we only got one season of each.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #590 on: January 27, 2019, 09:31:36 AM »
I know--I always get excited when I find a show that is set and filmed somewhere outside New York, LA, or Toronto or Vancouver pretending to be various places.

It's a different genre, but the superhero show "Cloak and Dagger" is set and filmed in New Orleans (and draws on the city for plot and characters.) One of my favorite new shows last year, for that reason.

I was trying to think what other shows there are--I believe all the "Chicago" shows on NBC really film in Chicago.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #591 on: January 27, 2019, 09:34:46 AM »

There's quite a few good shows that aren't made in CA or NY nowadays:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:American_television_series_by_production_location

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #592 on: January 27, 2019, 09:23:42 PM »
Been watching Punisher season 2, damn that show really took a dive. I've heard the term "Netflix bloat" bandied about, however never quite felt any shows I watched suffered too much from it. This season however is taking an eternity to get anywhere....

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #593 on: January 28, 2019, 07:07:42 AM »
I also enjoyed Longmire. I somehow fell away after season 2 and just never went back to it.

I know Netflix has cancelled most of their Marvel shows, but I'm assuming Disney will pick at least some of them up...I also really hope Punisher is one of them that gets some new life on Disney's streaming service.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #594 on: January 28, 2019, 06:40:23 PM »
Been watching Punisher season 2, damn that show really took a dive. I've heard the term "Netflix bloat" bandied about, however never quite felt any shows I watched suffered too much from it. This season however is taking an eternity to get anywhere....

Thanks for the heads up! I liked the first season but was a little leery going into the 2nd season.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #595 on: January 28, 2019, 09:38:22 PM »
Recently watched(and recommend):

Preacher (based on graphic novel. oh goodness... how to explain in few words: religious overtones, supernatural grifter/thieves, heaven/hell/hitler and vampires and the word of god embodied into a very flawed human being)

The Orville (Star Trek with real people who have hangups and make mistakes and are goofy sometimes)

Life On Mars (2006, 2 seasons, British) modern day cop has car accident, ends up in 1970s and isn't really sure he's in a coma imagining all of this or somehow really IS a time traveler)

Bojack Horseman (depressed, existential horse man living the dream - nightmares and all. Cartoon, but so much more)

F Is For Family (OMG this is a scary good cartoon for adults show. Set in 1970s I think, middle class family struggling along trying to grow, grow up, and not grow apart)

Endeavour (back story series for Inspector Morse - this is his early career, and both this and the Morse series is spectacular)

Father Brown (based on Chesterson's short stories, just wonderful - period 1950-60s English country mystery/crimes solved by a quirky, lovely priest played by Mark Williams)

Toast of London (starring Matt Berry - the guy that played boss/son on IT Crowd, in this series is a struggling actor doing whatever gigs he can find and being unintentionally funny and sometimes ridiculous and there's singing sometimes and it's amusing and sad and funny sometimes all at the same time)

Death In Paradise (great location series small town police mysteries on a tropical island, costars the always awesome Danny John Jules who played Cat on Red Dwarf)

The Mighty Boosh (one of my faves of absurdist comedy - starring Noel Fielding who played Richmond on IT Crowd, and Julian Barratt who stars also in Mindhorn another good series that is ridiculous and good)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 07:06:17 PM by Frankies Girl »

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #596 on: January 29, 2019, 06:53:24 AM »
Recently watched(and recommend):

Preacher (based on graphic novel. oh goodness... how to explain in few words: religious overtones, supernatural grifter/thieves, heaven/hell/hitler and vampires and the word of god embodied into a very flawed human being)

Yes! I love Preacher...such a breath of fresh air. It's so different than almost anything else I've watched recently. I can't wait for the next season!

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #597 on: January 29, 2019, 07:56:11 AM »
Watched the documentary "The Devil We Know" last night. I first heard about DuPont's decades long poisoning of essentially nearly everyone on the planet and subsequent cover-up from a good friend of ours who works at the law firm that first sued DuPont. He gave us a lot of insider scoop about the lawyer and how he worked for years, utilizing his own money, to bring this tragedy to light. I have mad props for the guy.

The documentary itself highlights the egregious behavior of such a large corporation and is simply unfathomable. You'll never look at DuPont, and for that matter anything with Teflon in it, the same way again. They knowingly killed their workers subjecting them to cancer causing chemicals. Any who I could go on and on. Definitively worth a watch.   

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #598 on: January 29, 2019, 11:54:24 AM »
If you don't mind subtitles, I recommend DARK (Netflix), it's an artsy German time-thriller sort of in the vein of a more mature Stranger Things
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 11:58:05 AM by Roboturner »

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #599 on: February 01, 2019, 12:34:01 PM »
I know it's been mentioned before but, "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" is phenomenal.