Author Topic: What TV series do you like?  (Read 64120 times)

OtherJen

• Pencil Stache
Re: What TV series do you like?
« Reply #550 on: November 30, 2018, 08:13:46 PM »
MST3K, "The Gauntlet."  We liked it.  6-episode season, sort of designed for a binge watch.  The first episode (the atrocious "Mac and Me") ranks among the "best" of all time.

FYI, we are nerds.

Husband and I are two episodes into the Gauntlet. We can't believe that Mac and Me was made at all. Classic MST3K fodder. Atlantic Rim was appallingly bad, and the blonde actress was nearly falling-down drunk in the last scene. I'm still cracking up at "he's like if a pukka shell necklace became a person" (paraphrasing because I was laughing too hard).

Still, nothing has topped Manos: The Hands of Fate. I'm not sure anything ever will.

MatthewK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #551 on: December 09, 2018, 12:39:27 PM »
On Netflix....
Finished Frontier which I really enjoyed, now watching The Last Kingdom...so damn good. I seem to really like these shows that are a bit disturbing, my wife jokingly says she's becoming concerned........I think jokingly :-)
For reference I also liked Hell on Wheels, Turn, Godless......Yes they are a bit disturbing but they have very good story lines and I like the historic aspect of them. History was always one of my favorite subjects.
So wondering if any one else out there enjoy these shows and has any recommendation for similars...we only have Netflix. Thanks

Johnez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #552 on: December 09, 2018, 12:52:20 PM »
Watching (binging actually, 5 episodes last night!) Breaking Bad. I personally dislike shows that glorify the criminal life, but this show is my meth, so hard to stop. Half the entertainment comes in the form of either of the two main characters blunders and their series of screwups to "address" the blunder, the other half from wondering how they're going to scrape by to live (or cook) another day.

dustinst22

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #553 on: December 09, 2018, 02:00:13 PM »
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is fantastically well done
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 05:07:10 PM by dustinst22 »

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #554 on: December 09, 2018, 03:48:23 PM »
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is fantastically done

One of my favorites too!

I especially enjoyed the episodes set in the Catskills in the new season.

megaschnauzer

• Stubble
« Reply #555 on: December 10, 2018, 07:05:41 AM »
just finished 'the bodyguard'. pretty intense.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #556 on: December 10, 2018, 07:09:20 AM »
Started watching 'The Deuce'.  It's a pretty cool show about the grittier areas of 1970's New York.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #557 on: December 11, 2018, 09:33:19 AM »
I rented Westworld from the library. It's pretty good. Some of the repetitive scenes are grating on me though. Like, I get it, they're in a loop.

Dogastrophe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #558 on: December 12, 2018, 05:21:06 AM »
Dr. Who

Frontier - about half way through first season.

Last Kingdom - it's becoming a bit repetitive ... Alfred loves me (I'm a Saxon), Alfred hate me (I'm a Dane), he loves me again (Yay, Saxon!).

Marco - I was a bit disappointed that this didn't make it to a 3rd season.  I felt that it was becoming interesting after season 2 made up for the boring haphazard season 1.

There are several other series that I started but never quite finished - Ozark, The Wire, SOA, Narcos.  Someday I'll get back to them

ATMD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #559 on: December 12, 2018, 07:09:27 AM »

I'd love to hear about other great sci-fi and drama TV shows on Netflix, in particular. :)

There's a ton.  Luther, The Walking Dead, New Girl, Parks & Recreation, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Into the Badlands, Love, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Sherlock, Miss Fischer's Murder Mysteries, Penny Dreadful, Spartacus, House of Cards, Mad Men, Sense 8, The 100, Copper, Hell on Wheels, Longmire, Psycho Pass (anime), Longmire, The Fall, The Tudors, Top of the Lake, Continuum, The Killing, iZombie, Z Nation, White Collar, Nikita, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, The Punisher, Dexter: all were excellent or at least very enjoyable in their various ways.

There are lots of awesome shows on this list thanks, I particular like the fast paced Z Nation, it seems like the writers get very creative and I also enjoy the zombie genre

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #560 on: December 13, 2018, 10:59:07 AM »
I know "The Good Place" has been mentioned here. I also highly recommend "The Good Place" podcast. They do an episode to correspond with each episode of the TV show, and usually will interview one of the actors and one of the "behind-the-scenes" staff who worked on it. The episode where they talked to the animal trainer after the TV show did a plot about each cast member getting a pet was particularly fun.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #561 on: January 06, 2019, 01:10:11 PM »
For those of you with Amazon Prime, the TV series "Howard's End" (originally aired on Starz) is excellent. Hayley Atwell is one of my favorite actresses, but I thought it was well-done overall--definitely recommend if you like costume dramas.

Moonwaves

• Pencil Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #562 on: January 07, 2019, 07:20:03 AM »
I watched Consumed over the Christmas and really enjoyed it. It's a Canadian de-cluttering-type show where almost everything is taken out of the houses for two weeks and then the people go to the warehouse their stuff is stored in and are supposed to select 25% of what's there to keep.

And then Marie Kondo's Tidying Up turned up on Netflix as well in the new year. Also a nice show, although they didn't show all of the steps for everybody and I would have kind of liked to have seen that.

megaschnauzer

• Stubble
« Reply #563 on: January 08, 2019, 08:19:37 AM »
watching 'the man in the high castle'. i'm not sure if it's good yet.

OtherJen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #564 on: January 08, 2019, 08:38:01 AM »
watching 'the man in the high castle'. i'm not sure if it's good yet.

It starts out slow and then gets really good.

soccerluvof4

• Magnum Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #565 on: January 09, 2019, 03:09:57 AM »
Started watching Prey on Hulu. Its pretty good. Only two seasons of 3 shows but were enjoying it.

teamzissou00

• Stubble
« Reply #566 on: January 09, 2019, 04:57:40 PM »
I'll chime in with some of my favorites that not everyone seems to know about:

Comedy:
- Happy Endings (3 seasons on Hulu).  Personally this is in my all time top 10 comedy list
- Coupling - (4 seasons on amazon prime).  Great friends-style British comedy.
- Forever - (1 season on amazon prime.)  Odd and funny dramedy with Fred Armisen - similar to another popular show.

Drama:
- Fortitude (i only watched season 1) - weird, creepy, and by the end of S1 I liked what i saw, but had no intention of moving forward.
- Lie to me - good procedural with Tim Roth
- Shows that most people know about and like: Luther (netflix), Black Mirror (netflix), Peaky Blinders (Netflix), The Sinner (Netflix)
- I also enjoyed The Shooter (s1 and s2) - but i understand it's a guilty pleasure. 

soccerluvof4

• Magnum Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #567 on: January 10, 2019, 03:31:22 AM »
Finished Prey on Hulu Last night and it was ok.

I found on Hulu they have 7 more seasons of DCI Banks than I believe on Netflix they only had one. Anyhow I started watching that again and its one of my favorites for sure.

Dr Kidstache

• Stubble
« Reply #568 on: January 10, 2019, 09:27:06 AM »
Started watching Lodge 49 on Hulu. So good! I've been trying to avoid shows with white guy protagonists but making an exception for this one. Not sure how to describe it. Spiritual successor of Big Lebowski?