Author Topic: What TV series do you like?  (Read 698245 times)

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What TV series do you like?
« Reply #500 on: September 23, 2018, 09:22:48 AM »
Been watching the latest Ken Burns documentary "The Vietnam War".  You look at the episode count and think "Oh, it's only 10 episodes, that's not that bad".  Then you start watching and realize they are all 80 to 90 minutes long (or longer), so it ends up being over 17 hours. 

But it's amazingly good.  Might be the best documentary I've ever seen.  I was born in 1972 so I grew up after this particular storm had passed, but seeing this documentary, its so thorough, so comprehensive, and so on-point, that I can now see how the ripples of this particular event has reverberated through my entire youth.  But I was too young at the time to see or appreciate the tumult.

Agreed on this.  I saw this series when it was first broadcast.  I immediately thought I would like to see it again sometime.

How similar in style is it to 'The World At War'?  That's kinda my current bar for what a documentary about war should be.

I have not seen The World at War, but both have the same rating on imdb.

Walterbl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #501 on: September 23, 2018, 10:35:48 AM »
Legion. For the Marvel character Legion. Awesome series.

MatthewK

• Stubble
« Reply #502 on: October 06, 2018, 06:07:54 PM »
I seem to be on a western type of roll lately.....started with Godless, pretty effed up but loved it, wife not so much ;-). Next up came Hell on Wheels, really effed up and I loved it, wife REALLY REALLY didn't like that one at all!! (notice a trend here??) Now watching Longwire, not nearly as effed up, and wife seems to think this is step in the right direction :-)

Not a western but since you loved Hell on Wheels you might check out Turn. Hopefully your wife will like it!
[/quote
Thanks for the suggestion! I just searched it on Netflix, looks good, I'll have to check it out.
So just now finished watching Turn, what a great show! General Simcoe was truly a nut job too. I'm now looking for something new to watch. I've really enjoyed Hell on Wheels, Godless and Longmire so I'm looking for something similar to these. Any suggestions? You guys haven't let me down yet!! :-)

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #503 on: October 06, 2018, 06:19:17 PM »
I seem to be on a western type of roll lately.....started with Godless, pretty effed up but loved it, wife not so much ;-). Next up came Hell on Wheels, really effed up and I loved it, wife REALLY REALLY didn't like that one at all!! (notice a trend here??) Now watching Longwire, not nearly as effed up, and wife seems to think this is step in the right direction :-)

Not a western but since you loved Hell on Wheels you might check out Turn. Hopefully your wife will like it!
[/quote
Thanks for the suggestion! I just searched it on Netflix, looks good, I'll have to check it out.
So just now finished watching Turn, what a great show! General Simcoe was truly a nut job too. I'm now looking for something new to watch. I've really enjoyed Hell on Wheels, Godless and Longmire so I'm looking for something similar to these. Any suggestions? You guys haven't let me down yet!! :-)

The Killing, Sons of Anarchy, Black Mirror,

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #504 on: October 12, 2018, 01:04:36 PM »
Does anyone else watch "This is Us"?

Not sure if I've mentioned it before, but it's our favorite show in the Miller household (after New Girl ended, of course).

Casting, writing, acting, even things like score/music are spectacular. It's one of those shows where each week a different very talented actor might steal the show. ("Modern Family" used to be like that, in my opinion).

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #505 on: October 12, 2018, 05:30:56 PM »
I'm currently loving "Kim's Convenience" on Netflix. Sitcom about a Korean immigrant family that runs a shop in Canada. The father is hilarious.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #506 on: October 12, 2018, 08:03:35 PM »
Just got done watching The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, great flick, looking forward to 2nd season.

Cobra Kai surprisingly was great, good nostalgia.

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #507 on: October 12, 2018, 09:28:53 PM »
Friends
Family Guy
Broadchurch
Schitts creek

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #508 on: October 13, 2018, 10:53:00 AM »
Second the "This is Us" and "Kim's Convenience" recs. One thing I like about "This is Us" is that they are very consistent with the characterization. I liked "Parenthood," which was in a similar vein, but especially toward the end that show had a lot of plotlines that were clearly invented to give the actors something to do but had nothing to do with how the characters had previously been written.

For those who have Hulu, they have just added another season of "Younger." That show is pretty silly in its premise but Sutton Foster is such an amazing actress she totally carries it off.

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #509 on: October 13, 2018, 01:09:58 PM »
I'm currently loving "Kim's Convenience" on Netflix. Sitcom about a Korean immigrant family that runs a shop in Canada. The father is hilarious.
+1 for Kim’s. I watched the whole series all seasons in a week when I was a TV addict.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #510 on: October 18, 2018, 10:55:25 AM »
This is Us is a really good show! The episode "Memphis" has the distinction of being one of the few episodes of TV ever to make me cry.

Husband won't watch This is Us, but we've both really enjoyed The Handmaid's Tale and Castle Rock (Hulu).

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #511 on: October 18, 2018, 11:29:32 AM »
This is Us is a really good show!

My wife has been binging it and I sometimes watch a bit, seems like a good show.  I'm finding its hard for me to sit through a TV show except for a couple series.

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #512 on: October 19, 2018, 09:08:42 AM »
This is Us is a really good show! The episode "Memphis" has the distinction of being one of the few episodes of TV ever to make me cry.

Husband won't watch This is Us, but we've both really enjoyed The Handmaid's Tale and Castle Rock (Hulu).

"Memphis" really put William on display! That was quite the emotional ride. The guy who plays him, Ron Cephas Jones, is just a magnificent actor, and I say that with him being on a show full of good actors (Milo being my favorite). I'm glad they're finding a few ways to bring Jones back in subsequent seasons, even if just for small scenes.

I think Milo Ventimiglia might be the most likable dude I've ever seen on a show. I don't know if it's the actor or the character or just the perfect combination. The Jack character can do no wrong.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #513 on: October 19, 2018, 09:22:32 AM »
happy valley
last tango in halifax

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #514 on: October 19, 2018, 02:24:04 PM »

"Memphis" really put William on display! That was quite the emotional ride. The guy who plays him, Ron Cephas Jones, is just a magnificent actor, and I say that with him being on a show full of good actors (Milo being my favorite). I'm glad they're finding a few ways to bring Jones back in subsequent seasons, even if just for small scenes.

I think Milo Ventimiglia might be the most likable dude I've ever seen on a show. I don't know if it's the actor or the character or just the perfect combination. The Jack character can do no wrong.

The combination, probably, although his Gilmore Girls character (Jess, introduced in season 2) grew on me. He's a very good actor.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #515 on: October 20, 2018, 02:05:13 PM »
The Haunting of Hill House on Netflix is stealing our eyeballs. SO wants to plow through all the episodes at once but I have to stop and get fresh air after each and manage to convince her not to push play for another haha. Its obviously a  horror show, but the undercurrent of the family dynamics sets the show apart. Timothy Hutton is great in the show, reprising his disheveled father figure role of American Crime, same hair and everything heh. It's a great 1-2 punch, dysfunctional family drama/horror show.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #516 on: October 20, 2018, 03:47:45 PM »
We finished "Castle Rock" on Hulu last night. That was a really well-written, well-acted, and thoroughly engrossing show! Sissy Spacek and Bill Skarsgård were particularly excellent.

I think we'll check out the Haunting of Hill House next. That sounds perfect for this time of year.

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #517 on: October 22, 2018, 03:28:17 PM »
Daredevil has now dropped on Netflix.

A story about a humble lawyer who possesses extraordinary abilities and is super charming and handsome. It's like my biography.

Parton

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #518 on: October 27, 2018, 11:16:54 PM »
The last series that I watched Taboo. This is an English series that beautifully shows how people lived in those times. I look forward to the second part.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #519 on: October 28, 2018, 07:09:17 AM »
The Haunting of Hill House on Netflix is stealing our eyeballs. SO wants to plow through all the episodes at once but I have to stop and get fresh air after each and manage to convince her not to push play for another haha. Its obviously a  horror show, but the undercurrent of the family dynamics sets the show apart. Timothy Hutton is great in the show, reprising his disheveled father figure role of American Crime, same hair and everything heh. It's a great 1-2 punch, dysfunctional family drama/horror show.

Seconding this recommendation. We finished up this series last night and, wow.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #520 on: October 28, 2018, 07:20:47 AM »
I really like Psych and Monk and am loving that both are currently on Prime Video.  But usually end up watching whatever the kid is watching.  Right now it's Popeye.  I also really dig Stranger Things and Ozark, but don't get to watch very often.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #521 on: October 28, 2018, 08:10:56 PM »
Nathan Fillion’s new series The Rookie is good.  He’s showing a little more of his dramatic side than his usual comedic side, IMHO. 

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #522 on: October 29, 2018, 06:55:49 AM »
"Bodyguard" on Netflix is really good. It was a huge hit in the UK and I can understand why. It's very suspenseful.

More of a specific taste, but "The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina" on Netflix is also good, and a good holiday watch for Halloween. I thought Kiernan Shipka did a great job on Mad Men so I was interested in seeing her in this. Be warned, it is very dark and goes all in on a lot of the conventions of witchcraft. These are not cute, funny witches...they are full-on servants of Satan.

Archiis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #523 on: October 30, 2018, 03:43:10 AM »
I am a big TV serial since it helps me to rest after a hard day’s work.  For the most part, these are fantasy TV series on DC comics, Doctor Who, Game of Thrones

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #524 on: October 30, 2018, 01:52:21 PM »
I recently borrowed 'The Handmaid's Tale' from the library. I'm committing the cardinal sin of watching the series before reading the book but good gravy is it good.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #525 on: October 30, 2018, 03:34:34 PM »
I recently borrowed 'The Handmaid's Tale' from the library. I'm committing the cardinal sin of watching the series before reading the book but good gravy is it good.

It is SO good. That and Castle Rock convinced us to keep our basic Hulu subscription. We’re hoping other Hulu exclusive shows are of equally high quality.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #526 on: October 30, 2018, 04:02:06 PM »

It is SO good. That and Castle Rock convinced us to keep our basic Hulu subscription. We’re hoping other Hulu exclusive shows are of equally high quality.

12 Monkeys, The Path, Homeland, Atlanta and Taboo are also excellent and on Hulu.

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #527 on: October 30, 2018, 04:22:20 PM »
Married With Children

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #528 on: November 02, 2018, 05:59:44 AM »
"Bodyguard" on Netflix is really good. It was a huge hit in the UK and I can understand why. It's very suspenseful.

More of a specific taste, but "The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina" on Netflix is also good, and a good holiday watch for Halloween. I thought Kiernan Shipka did a great job on Mad Men so I was interested in seeing her in this. Be warned, it is very dark and goes all in on a lot of the conventions of witchcraft. These are not cute, funny witches...they are full-on servants of Satan.
I thought Bodyguard was really good, too. Wanderlust is another British one that showed up on Netflix recently that I enjoyed. Hadn't realised just how US-centric my viewing habits had become.

There's a youtube video showing the original cast of Sabrina watching the new version. It's just a few minutes but kind of funny.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #529 on: November 02, 2018, 06:05:59 AM »

I thought Bodyguard was really good, too. Wanderlust is another British one that showed up on Netflix recently that I enjoyed. Hadn't realised just how US-centric my viewing habits had become.

There's a youtube video showing the original cast of Sabrina watching the new version. It's just a few minutes but kind of funny.

I saw Wanderlust and kind of thought it was that old mockumentary series that came on Comedy Central for awhile.  That was a somewhat funny show, but it seems like there were a lot of parts that I don't particularly want to have to explain to my kid. 

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #530 on: November 03, 2018, 11:54:58 AM »
Just came here to recommend Bodyguard and I see it's already been mentioned.  Very very good.

There are a lot of moving parts and for an American the finer points of British government and law enforcement can be confusing.  I think I figured out about 50% of these plot points, but nonetheless still heartily endorse the series.  Just be forewarned.

CoffeeR

• Bristles
« Reply #531 on: November 03, 2018, 01:10:15 PM »
I really enjoyed the Netflix show "Salt Fat Acid Heat".

Tuskalusa

• Bristles
« Reply #532 on: November 03, 2018, 02:28:43 PM »
The Detectorists
Lost in Space

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #533 on: November 05, 2018, 02:52:20 PM »
I was looking for something on the light side and started rewatching "Chuck," which is on Amazon Prime. The plot is fairly ridiculous, but the gist is that a computer repair guy who works at a fictional version of Best Buy ends up working for the CIA/NSA. One of the best parts is watching Yvonne Strahovski, who plays a very dark part on "The Handmaid's Tale" in a completely opposite role as a kickass female spy. Although now I will really be longing for her Handmaid's Tale character to haul off and roundhouse kick her terrible husband when he is being particularly awful...

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #534 on: November 05, 2018, 03:40:03 PM »
I was looking for something on the light side and started rewatching "Chuck," which is on Amazon Prime. The plot is fairly ridiculous, but the gist is that a computer repair guy who works at a fictional version of Best Buy ends up working for the CIA/NSA. One of the best parts is watching Yvonne Strahovski, who plays a very dark part on "The Handmaid's Tale" in a completely opposite role as a kickass female spy. Although now I will really be longing for her Handmaid's Tale character to haul off and roundhouse kick her terrible husband when he is being particularly awful...
Chuck!  I remember liking that show quite a lot when it was on.  Might have to give it a rewatch.  Yvonne Strahovski was also in Dexter and seeing her dropping f-bombs in there was extremely weird after only knowing her from Chuck.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #535 on: November 05, 2018, 09:03:52 PM »
We recently realized that there were more available seasons of "The Man in the High Castle" (Amazon Prime; we had only finished season 1). We're a few episodes into season 2, and wow, that show is well-written, well-produced, and very compelling.

It's also making me wish for more episodes of "Babylon Berlin" (Netflix).

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #536 on: November 21, 2018, 09:51:04 AM »
Patriot on Prime. 
It is hysterical in a really dark way, but the scenes that make me laugh the hardest are really difficult to explain to people because it makes me seem like some kind of kook. 

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #537 on: November 21, 2018, 10:06:17 AM »
The library had 'The Magicians' and now I have ANOTHER book to read after I'm done with the series.

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #538 on: November 21, 2018, 11:09:24 AM »
Patriot on Prime. 
It is hysterical in a really dark way, but the scenes that make me laugh the hardest are really difficult to explain to people because it makes me seem like some kind of kook.

Yes!! I love how absurdist it is. And this second season made really good use of the main character's songs. So funny!

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #539 on: November 21, 2018, 01:47:52 PM »
The library had 'The Magicians' and now I have ANOTHER book to read after I'm done with the series.

I never read the third book in the series b/c the first two irritated me so much, but be forewarned the series has departed a great deal from what I remember of the series.  IMO not in a bad way, but definitely different in recent seasons.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #540 on: November 24, 2018, 04:26:54 PM »
Man, what in the heck happened to Lore?!  They turned a unique show focused on the origins of legends into a damn recreation of legends and injecting their own damn fictions into the "lore."  The Orloj clock episode especially drove me nuts as there are so many interesting facts around the clock and they decide to muddy the waters with bullcrap.  Ugh!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #541 on: November 25, 2018, 08:03:29 AM »
I enjoyed Cardinal On Hulu

On Netflix
House of Cards
Sons of Anarchy
Hell on Wheels (about the railroad being built)
Ozark
Wallander
Redemption
Shetland
Hinterland

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #542 on: November 26, 2018, 09:26:44 AM »
A while back we watched Hell on Wheels. I LOVED Anson Mount who played Cullen Bohannon!

This show was gritty, full of greed and lots of violence. The costumes were very authentic. Women's hairdo's were not stupidly bleached like the western show Bonanza. The places they pitched tents, while building the railroad, were nasty and muddy. The rain would come down and created giant puddles. They had a whorehouse, they guzzled booze till they were out of their gourds. There were lots of side stories that pulled it all together. I was on the edge of my seat with this show and could not get enough of it. When it finally ended...I was so sad!

We watched Lost a year ago and we binged big time on it. I really liked it but wish there were less sci fi effects and more explanation of odd events. You had to use your own imagination on the odd things going on. Loved the actors on the show!

Binged on Trailer Park Boys! OMG, what a hoot that show is! The actors play the parts of such ignorant fools that it is hysterical! Ricky and Julian are ex convicts who are always trying to pull off some kind of scheme, usually illegal, to get money. Even when they try to stay out of trouble, trouble finds them.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #543 on: November 26, 2018, 02:55:39 PM »
MST3K, "The Gauntlet."  We liked it.  6-episode season, sort of designed for a binge watch.  The first episode (the atrocious "Mac and Me") ranks among the "best" of all time.

FYI, we are nerds.

Crease

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #544 on: November 27, 2018, 08:20:17 AM »
I'm currently working my way through the fourth season of Deep Space Nine.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #545 on: November 27, 2018, 08:51:07 AM »
Recently started Justified on Prime.  It's sort of western-hillbilly thing going on.

poppydog

• Stubble
« Reply #546 on: November 28, 2018, 09:46:34 PM »
Just caught up with Seven Seconds on Netflix here in the UK.  OMG, what tension.  Becomes the best courtroom drama I think I’ve ever seen.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #547 on: November 29, 2018, 07:51:36 AM »
Recently started Justified on Prime.  It's sort of western-hillbilly thing going on.

I loved that series. Walton Goggins and Timothy Olyphant were amazing in their roles and were the perfect rivals.

Just finished watching the series "I am a Killer" on Netflix. 10 episodes focusing on a different inmate who received the death penalty. 

Milizard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #548 on: November 29, 2018, 08:00:11 AM »
Currently watching Midnight, Texas on NBC.com.  I can't really say that it's good, but it's one of the types of shows that I enjoy watching.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #549 on: November 30, 2018, 08:13:46 PM »
MST3K, "The Gauntlet."  We liked it.  6-episode season, sort of designed for a binge watch.  The first episode (the atrocious "Mac and Me") ranks among the "best" of all time.

FYI, we are nerds.

Husband and I are two episodes into the Gauntlet. We can't believe that Mac and Me was made at all. Classic MST3K fodder. Atlantic Rim was appallingly bad, and the blonde actress was nearly falling-down drunk in the last scene. I'm still cracking up at "he's like if a pukka shell necklace became a person" (paraphrasing because I was laughing too hard).

Still, nothing has topped Manos: The Hands of Fate. I'm not sure anything ever will.