Author Topic: What TV series do you like?  (Read 708740 times)

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
Re: What TV series do you like?
« Reply #2950 on: August 28, 2023, 08:01:37 PM »
I'm very much looking forward to Painkiller because I enjoyed Empire of Pain and now I get to share the astonishing story with DH (he's not a reader).

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2951 on: August 28, 2023, 09:12:47 PM »
Watched most of the first season of Reservation Dogs and am rather charmed by it so far.  It's unique in a lot of ways (rural setting, indigenous focus, funny but also painful and also sweet all balanced very nicely together without being heavy-handed).  I hope it gets more attention during its recent third season so it can keep going.

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #2952 on: August 28, 2023, 09:17:12 PM »
Anyone seen Aussie series, Ronny Chieng - international student? Liking it so far.. funny.

Thanks for sugeesting this. Watched a little last night and was laughing a lot right out of the gate.

For those interested the episodes are all available for free on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlwCOY-2i3M&list=PLD7nPL1U-R5pP0nqYb6RLxswZtpMIZyFb

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #2953 on: August 28, 2023, 09:18:59 PM »
Watched most of the first season of Reservation Dogs and am rather charmed by it so far.  It's unique in a lot of ways (rural setting, indigenous focus, funny but also painful and also sweet all balanced very nicely together without being heavy-handed).  I hope it gets more attention during its recent third season so it can keep going.

Nope, the third season will be the last:

Reservation Dogs, the FX/Hulu acclaimed series from creator Sterlin Harjo, will end with its upcoming third season. Harjo made the announcement Thursday on Instagram and called the move the “correct decision creatively for the show.” Jun 29, 2023

jade

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2954 on: August 29, 2023, 12:28:01 AM »
Anyone seen Aussie series, Ronny Chieng - international student? Liking it so far.. funny.

Thanks for sugeesting this. Watched a little last night and was laughing a lot right out of the gate.

For those interested the episodes are all available for free on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlwCOY-2i3M&list=PLD7nPL1U-R5pP0nqYb6RLxswZtpMIZyFb

No prob! Glad you liked it too. I used to work at a uni and thought it had some clever observations on students and the uni culture.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2955 on: August 29, 2023, 06:24:34 AM »
Wife and I started Lioness last night. It's a new Taylor Sheridan show focusing mostly on female operatives trained to infiltrate terrorist groups via their family connections. Only two episodes in, but it's okay so far

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2956 on: August 30, 2023, 02:59:11 PM »
We've started watching "The Rookie" and have enjoyed it.  It's an older show and is a bit like a soap opera, but it has a nice mix of drama and comedy.  They don't always tie up loose ends and there are some blatant things that make you say "Would a cop really do that?"...but it's fun.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2957 on: September 02, 2023, 08:36:43 AM »
Wife and I started Lioness last night. It's a new Taylor Sheridan show focusing mostly on female operatives trained to infiltrate terrorist groups via their family connections. Only two episodes in, but it's okay so far
which streaming service? I like terrorist shows.

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #2958 on: September 02, 2023, 05:47:04 PM »
which streaming service? I like terrorist shows.

Paramount+

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2959 on: September 03, 2023, 10:25:25 AM »
I forget who recommended "Cunk on Earth", but thanks, I can't quit laughing!

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2960 on: September 06, 2023, 08:57:17 AM »
A bit off topic but not.

I read an opinion piece in the most recent Time magazine about how political shows (which would include terrorist shows) talked about how basically all these shows are now terrible in the US.  The reason is that with the division in the country removing any agreement on a common "enemy" (the article spoke about how half the people now love Putin and Autocratic Russia etc. or how domestic terrorists are now scarier than "traditional" ones) you basically have political shows without any of the hard hitting drama you got from the politics.  The heightening of Islamophobia for example from shows like "Homeland" or the wonderful political work in "The West Wing" just are not drawing audiences any more and therefore are not written because you have huge swaths that would not watch.  What are your thoughts?  I have found few newer shows to be interesting at all because of this watered down baddie syndrome.   It was an interesting idea to wonder if that is really a major driver of why. 

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2961 on: September 06, 2023, 11:57:19 AM »
A bit off topic but not.

I read an opinion piece in the most recent Time magazine about how political shows (which would include terrorist shows) talked about how basically all these shows are now terrible in the US.  The reason is that with the division in the country removing any agreement on a common "enemy" (the article spoke about how half the people now love Putin and Autocratic Russia etc. or how domestic terrorists are now scarier than "traditional" ones) you basically have political shows without any of the hard hitting drama you got from the politics.  The heightening of Islamophobia for example from shows like "Homeland" or the wonderful political work in "The West Wing" just are not drawing audiences any more and therefore are not written because you have huge swaths that would not watch.  What are your thoughts?  I have found few newer shows to be interesting at all because of this watered down baddie syndrome.   It was an interesting idea to wonder if that is really a major driver of why.

so, The Americans (really The Russians) would not get made today? Hmmm, interesting. I just rewatched the entire last season and can’t quite give it up yet, a wonderful piece of television.

The Brits seem to have no problem showing who their terrorizers are. I watch those show because I like British show anyway.

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2962 on: September 07, 2023, 05:16:21 PM »
A bit off topic but not.

I'm not sure I would trust the opinion of someone who throws out that half of the people in the US love Putin.

I mean I don't even really like indirectly supporting Ukraine via shipping them billions and still think Putin is garbage.  I'm in the minority on that (regarding our US govt spending) so if you take that the majority of people in the US do support sending billions' worth of military equipment to Ukraine, it takes some mental gymnastics to arrive that there is a decent chunk of those supporters who also love Putin (to be able to get to half of people in the US loving Putin) in addition to assuming that every household or social media profile without a Ukrainian flag loves Putin.  That's just nonsense.

I think acting like people (real people, not just people that post on social media) are more polarized than they really are generates clicks.  Good writing on tv shows will always triumph once real people without an agenda watch it and give honest feedback.

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #2963 on: September 07, 2023, 11:32:45 PM »
Night Sky (streaming on Amazon). Only three episodes in but intriguing so far.

IMDb description:

Follows Franklin and Irene York, a couple who years ago discovered a chamber buried in their backyard which inexplicably leads to a strange, deserted planet.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2964 on: September 08, 2023, 11:36:08 AM »
Night Sky (streaming on Amazon). Only three episodes in but intriguing so far.

IMDb description:

Follows Franklin and Irene York, a couple who years ago discovered a chamber buried in their backyard which inexplicably leads to a strange, deserted planet.

I'd forgotten about that one!  Hopefully they are coming with a second season...  definitely left me wanting more

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #2965 on: September 08, 2023, 04:51:35 PM »
Night Sky (streaming on Amazon).

I'd forgotten about that one!  Hopefully they are coming with a second season...  definitely left me wanting more
[/quote]

I'm prettty sure I read it was decided not to renew the show for another season. Sucks but still enjoying the first season....

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2966 on: September 10, 2023, 09:55:52 AM »
Night Sky (streaming on Amazon).

I'm prettty sure I read it was decided not to renew the show for another season. Sucks but still enjoying the first season....
[/quote]

Oh too bad we won’t see more of them.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2967 on: September 22, 2023, 02:59:10 PM »
I watched several episodes of “My Crazy ex-girlfriend.” It got decent reviews. It’s not the best TV show in the world but it’s entertaining for some episodes. But then I got to about episode eight and was thinking to myself “ it’s got to be nearing the end of the season, right? “And then I saw that it goes into 18 freaking episodes in year one! And already I am tired of Rebecca and her back-and-forth with the ex-boyfriend Josh. And then I saw that the show goes on for what, four years? Good God how many episodes of that of her going back-and-forth with this boyfriend?

OK, I’m done I decided with crazy ex girlfriend

Needing a mind cleanser, and having signed up for Masterpiece Theatre for a little while, I went back and watched “the Forsyte saga “, the version with Gina McKee and Damian Lewis. It is just as good as I remembered. It is so passionate and overwrought and wonderful!!! It really sucked me in.

Then, Needing a palette cleanser from all of that emotional drama, I started watching comedy gold in “the Larry Sanders show “which someone has put up on YouTube. While  reproduction is somewhat grainy and not professional, you don’t need excellent visuals for the Larry Sanders show. It’s all about the characters and the comedy writing.

I truly believe “the Larry Sanders show” is the best comedy ever produced.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2023, 02:22:36 PM by iris lily »

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2968 on: September 22, 2023, 03:50:41 PM »
Ofpym pulled me into The Diplomat (Netflix) and argh it’s SO GOOD MY PEEPS! Keri Russell and Rufus Sewell and the very best portrayal I’ve seen onscreen of a marriage where you love someone AND they betray you over and over again (not infidelity- there are plenty of other betrayals). We watched the first three episodes last night and I want to grab people and shake them into watching it.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2969 on: September 22, 2023, 07:21:53 PM »
Ofpym pulled me into The Diplomat (Netflix) and argh it’s SO GOOD MY PEEPS! Keri Russell and Rufus Sewell and the very best portrayal I’ve seen onscreen of a marriage where you love someone AND they betray you over and over again (not infidelity- there are plenty of other betrayals). We watched the first three episodes last night and I want to grab people and shake them into watching it.

Is good. Sophisticated and interesting. It feels like it’s one of those things that can really develop and get better in seasons two and three.

jade

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2970 on: September 23, 2023, 12:37:08 AM »
We're really enjoying "the woman in the wall" on iPlayer in the UK, about the Magdalene laundries in Ireland. They're releasing them week by week so we have the finale to watch on Sunday.

jade

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2971 on: September 23, 2023, 12:38:21 AM »

Is good. Sophisticated and interesting. It feels like it’s one of those things that can really develop and get better in seasons two and three.

Ooh, good. We have access to series 1 on Roku so will watch that then.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2972 on: September 23, 2023, 05:02:17 AM »
I'm watching The Consultant on Prime.

It stars Christopher Waltz, who really should have ended up a much bigger star than he did. He made some bad role choices after Inglourious Basterds, which is really unfortunate.

Anyhoo, The Consultant takes his spectacular brand of creepy and amps it up in a batshit crazy comedy thriller about a corporate consultant who takes over a gaming company.

I'm only about 4 episodes in and it's extremely entertaining. An absolutely deranged kind of humour, but I've laughed out loud a few times because it's so unexpected.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2973 on: September 23, 2023, 07:14:42 AM »
Ugh the Consultant….  did not stick the landing.  But I agree Waltz was great in the role.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2974 on: September 25, 2023, 08:48:30 AM »
I started up a Peacock subscription since I've never had one and they had Asteroid City, Renfield, and Fast and Furious X (none of which were great, but good enough to justify $3/mo).  I really enjoyed the first episode of 'The Continental' as well as 'Poker Face'...  they also have Yellowstone, as well as lots of nostalgic content like old SNL episodes, Heros, a Chucky show... 

jade

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2975 on: October 03, 2023, 12:50:19 AM »
Anyone watched / watching Aussie series "in limbo" ? Funny and deep.

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #2976 on: October 13, 2023, 02:29:34 PM »
Just finished Season 5 of Unforgotten which they made without Nicola Walker.  While it's still better than most things on TV, there is a definite drop off.  Take note Shetland!

Apparently Season 6 is in the works and they may be doing some scenes in the US, which I am very much looking forward to, as it is the handling of the location shots that I love best about this show.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2977 on: October 13, 2023, 03:15:42 PM »
Just finished Season 5 of Unforgotten which they made without Nicola Walker.  While it's still better than most things on TV, there is a definite drop off.  Take note Shetland!

Apparently Season 6 is in the works and they may be doing some scenes in the US, which I am very much looking forward to, as it is the handling of the location shots that I love best about this show.

Thanks for the heads up. It will be weird watching without her. But her personality in this was similar-ish to her character in Annika - a bit spazzed out and wonky at relationships.
But this entire series is weird for me as I've known Sanjeev Bhaskar in a comedic role for a couple of decades. Then he starred in The Indian Doctor, which showed another the drama of him. And now him in a more serious role as a detective.

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #2978 on: October 15, 2023, 01:05:27 AM »
Started watching Invasion on Apple TV+. Only 2 episodes in but so far it's an intereting and ambitious production with several storylines playing out in locations around the globe. Definitely a slow burn though.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2979 on: October 22, 2023, 07:10:02 AM »
The North Water on AMC+. Very dark story of a whaling voyage.

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #2980 on: October 22, 2023, 10:38:17 AM »

Thanks for the heads up. It will be weird watching without her. But her personality in this was similar-ish to her character in Annika - a bit spazzed out and wonky at relationships.
But this entire series is weird for me as I've known Sanjeev Bhaskar in a comedic role for a couple of decades. Then he starred in The Indian Doctor, which showed another the drama of him. And now him in a more serious role as a detective.

I see Annika has come out with a Season 2, just in time, I had run out of things to watch.  Yeah I think she has cornered the market in that department - she plays a similar character in Last Tango In Halifax (anybody hasn't seen that yet, do yourself a favor) and "Marriage" with Sean Bean (just "OK").

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2981 on: October 22, 2023, 10:58:24 AM »
I've been watching The Rockford Files for free on the Roku Channel.
It's my favorite show ever, so I'm happy.

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #2982 on: October 23, 2023, 02:04:31 AM »

I started this. The recreation of that era is amazing, it feels so real. But it was also incredibly bleak and I gave up after about an hour. I might go back to it though.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2983 on: October 23, 2023, 11:31:16 AM »

I started this. The recreation of that era is amazing, it feels so real. But it was also incredibly bleak and I gave up after about an hour. I might go back to it though.

It is not a happy story but the plot line so far is great. I'm only 4 episodes in. The cinematography is amazing. I wonder if they really did sail a wooden ship up into the ice to film this?

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2984 on: October 25, 2023, 07:31:42 AM »
Started watching 'This is Going to Hurt' on AMC+. It's like a more intense version of Srubs. Pretty funny though.

jade

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2985 on: October 26, 2023, 12:53:54 AM »
Started watching 'This is Going to Hurt' on AMC+. It's like a more intense version of Srubs. Pretty funny though.

This is a great show.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2986 on: October 26, 2023, 03:00:25 AM »
I don't know if this is available worldwide on Netflix but "Last Stop Larrimah" is a whodunnit documentary two-parter about a guy that went missing from a town of 11 people in Australia. Loved it.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2987 on: October 26, 2023, 09:18:03 AM »

I thought it did a great job of showing how thankless a lot of the work is and why it's so hard for MDs to not burnout and become jaded.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2988 on: October 26, 2023, 10:16:04 AM »

I thought it did a great job of showing how thankless a lot of the work is and why it's so hard for MDs to not burnout and become jaded.

We were wondering why they make being a new doctor so difficult. I'm sure it's the money but it seems like the liability would be huge.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2989 on: October 29, 2023, 02:34:52 PM »
I don't know if this is available worldwide on Netflix but "Last Stop Larrimah" is a whodunnit documentary two-parter about a guy that went missing from a town of 11 people in Australia. Loved it.

I live in USA and just looked it up and don't see it listed.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2990 on: October 29, 2023, 02:58:24 PM »

I live in USA and just looked it up and don't see it listed.

There's a website called Just Watch and it crawls all the streaming sites for you.  Checking there and I can see this show is on Max:

https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/last-stop-larrimah

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2991 on: October 29, 2023, 03:51:54 PM »
For our October spooky, we enjoyed the high-camp nonsense of The Fall of the House of Usher. Yes it is very silly, yes we enjoyed the heck out of it, yes Ofpym would turn the sound off at the extremely messy parts and tell me when it was safe to look at the TV again.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2992 on: October 29, 2023, 04:20:10 PM »
Just finished the White House Farm murders, another true crime doco. I don't really recommend it. I think the makers wanted it to be reminiscent of the Making of a Murderer ie a possible miscarriage of justice. But the evidence against Jeremy Bamber (murdered 5 family members) is so damning that we were shouting at the tv anytime some suggested he was innocent. Look him up on wiki instead.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2993 on: October 29, 2023, 09:51:25 PM »
For our October spooky, we enjoyed the high-camp nonsense of The Fall of the House of Usher. Yes it is very silly, yes we enjoyed the heck out of it, yes Ofpym would turn the sound off at the extremely messy parts and tell me when it was safe to look at the TV again.

Very entertaining!  I'd love to see a comeuppance for many rich people who have impoverished this world in pursuit of their selfish avarice, but this'll do for now :)

jade

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2994 on: October 30, 2023, 01:53:15 AM »

We were wondering why they make being a new doctor so difficult. I'm sure it's the money but it seems like the liability would be huge.

I know. I think more and more people are choosing not to go down that route here in the UK. I think the idea is that you eventually become a consultant and earn mega bucks but it really doesn't seem worth it.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2995 on: November 02, 2023, 07:27:48 AM »
Started watching 'Lodge 49' on AMC+. I want to like it but I keep falling asleep.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2996 on: November 07, 2023, 04:31:36 PM »
I've just started watching The Light We Cannot See on Netflix. I loved the book, so I hope I like the series. Doesn't always happen that way.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2997 on: November 07, 2023, 05:24:41 PM »
I've just started watching The Light We Cannot See on Netflix. I loved the book, so I hope I like the series. Doesn't always happen that way.

You're right it's really rare that a series lives up to the book.  One time recently that it did happen (IMO) was with Station 11.  Great book and great series (on Max).

jade

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2998 on: November 09, 2023, 01:30:05 PM »
Has anyone seen "the book group" series by Annie Griffin? It's on channel 4 in the UK atm. Very surreal but the funniest thing I've seen fit a long time.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2999 on: November 10, 2023, 02:25:31 AM »
Has anyone seen "the book group" series by Annie Griffin? It's on channel 4 in the UK atm. Very surreal but the funniest thing I've seen fit a long time.
It has been a very long time but I remember enjoying it and laughing a lot.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!