Author Topic: What TV series do you like?  (Read 717281 times)

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
Re: What TV series do you like?
« Reply #1600 on: May 14, 2021, 10:57:25 AM »
The Comeback with Lisa Kudrow is pretty funny. It is about a self important actress whose time has passed, but her career is revived in a tv sitcom. Her hunger for fame is the running joke.

Kudrow’s video series called Web Therapy is also about a self important therapist who practices in front of a camera. It is more of a sketch comedy, but it has great guest appearances from well known actors. This Kudrow character is obnoxious, while .the .comeback star is just to be pitied.

speaking of good series not well known by former Friends stars, Matt LeBlanc’s show Episodes is good, too. Another TV show about a former well-known TV actor.

I am re-watching The Girlfriend Experience on Amazon with Riley Keough. Wow she was good in this and she is in every frame of this production. She was nominated for a couple of awards for this.

Episodes is great, I really enjoyed their take on a clever British show being remade in America and ending up totally cannibalized. The characters are fantastic, and I really liked all of the actors.

I tried watching The Girlfriend Experience, but I ended up getting to agitated by endless silences and expressionless monotone speaking. I couldn't even make it through 2 episodes. I may have just not been in the mood for it though, so I might give it another shot.

My wife enjoyed Episodes, I did not - felt it was ok. Because I don't enjoy LeBlanc's acting (he's much more fun to watch in Top Gear). The real stars for me are Tamsin Greig and Stephen Mangan. Watch Green Wing, these two are a hoot, along with the rest of the characters.

Other Greig shows I've enjoyed are Friday Night Dinner and Black Books. And she was in Going Postal.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1601 on: May 16, 2021, 09:57:04 AM »
Started watching Loudermilk. Freaking hilarious. Ron Livingston (Office Space) is the lead. Got hooked a few minutes into the first episode. I'm 3 in. Amazon Prime Video.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #1602 on: May 17, 2021, 03:39:48 AM »
Rewatched the 5 episodes which make up Love, Nina, based on the book by Nina Stibbe about her experiences as a nanny in early 80s London. My daughter watched it with me and we both thought it was sublime. Helena Bonham Carter is our favourite actress.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1603 on: May 17, 2021, 04:50:24 AM »
Finished the new Amazon series The Underground Railroad last night.  Very well acted and beautiful cinematography.  I hope it wins all the awards.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1604 on: May 20, 2021, 02:39:35 PM »
I'm watching Search Party, and it's bonkers brilliance.

It's written by Michael Showalter, who wrote Wet Hot American Summer. This is almost as ridiculous, but totally different tone. It starts off as a relatively normal millenial angst dark comedy, but it spirals totally out of control, and each season gets nuttier.

There are a ton of supporting characters and they're all pretty amazing.

It's definitely an "awful people being awful" kind of show, which is usually very hit and miss for me, but I really enjoyed this one, and was actually pretty invested in the mystery/crime component as well, despite it being very, very silly. It's so dark, so absurd.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1605 on: May 21, 2021, 11:04:02 AM »
DH had never seen Breaking Bad, so we're watching that now and it's really fun to rewatch it.  I remember just enough to find pleasure in seeing the beginning again, with the advantage of hindisght.  But I also remember so little of the specifics of each episode that I'm still often on the edge of my seat trying to remember what happens next.  I was worried DH wouldn't like it, but so far he's pretty interested.  I'm hoping he gets committed enough so that we rewatch the whole series.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1606 on: May 21, 2021, 11:46:00 AM »
DH had never seen Breaking Bad, so we're watching that now and it's really fun to rewatch it.  I remember just enough to find pleasure in seeing the beginning again, with the advantage of hindisght.  But I also remember so little of the specifics of each episode that I'm still often on the edge of my seat trying to remember what happens next.  I was worried DH wouldn't like it, but so far he's pretty interested.  I'm hoping he gets committed enough so that we rewatch the whole series.

I feel like I should give it a try again.

I completely lost interest just a few episodes into season two, but I also used to be an insufferably serious person, so I think I was intolerant of how ridiculous it got.

I obviously now love a well done ridiculous show, so perhaps I might like it.

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #1607 on: May 21, 2021, 03:11:27 PM »
I feel like BB is a comedy first, drama second, which earns it a little more leeway with the cheesy dialogue and implausible story lines.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1608 on: May 25, 2021, 08:44:36 AM »
I feel like BB is a comedy first, drama second, which earns it a little more leeway with the cheesy dialogue and implausible story lines.
I always thought of it as a comedy that got a bit more serious and/or intense as the seasons went on. There are some not terribly great episodes in the middle, as happens with most long-running series. But I thought the final episode(s) wrapped up everything very satisfyingly.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1609 on: May 27, 2021, 05:22:26 AM »
Well, I know what I'll be watching as soon as it's released: 30 Helens agree: The Kids In The Hall have begun shooting their Amazon series

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1610 on: May 27, 2021, 05:25:22 AM »

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1611 on: May 27, 2021, 07:20:51 AM »
My boss recommended The Mopes, a new German comedy series, to me earlier. I've only seen the trailer but from that and his description, I think I'm going to enjoy it. It's available on Amazon Prime but I'm not sure if it's only in German or if there are subtitles in other languages available. The premise is a musician who's a bit of a hasbeen and develops depression. But his depression is embodied by Monika, who herself is under pressure from her bosses as to why it is taking so long to get him to the next level of depression. So, for example, you see her lying beside him at night whispering in his ear about how useless he is, how his girlfriend should leave him, etc. I like the premise.

Edited the next day: I have now watched most of the first two episodes and I have to admit to laugh-snorting more than once. What I hadn't realised is that the story starts because Mat (the former boyband star) suddenly starts being able to see Monika (his moderate depression), which is a rare but not impossible discrepancy in the mental illness organisation (where she is not only under pressure from her bosses, but also intimidation from the severe depressions threatening to take her case away from her). He's supposed to be half-American/half-Dutch, living in Berlin and he speaks an interesting, sometimes hard to follow, mix of English and terrible German. I like shows where they don't make everyone speak the same language and/or use foreign accents to denote foreign languages.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 08:06:55 AM by Moonwaves »

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1612 on: May 27, 2021, 11:58:36 AM »
Well, I know what I'll be watching as soon as it's released: 30 Helens agree: The Kids In The Hall have begun shooting their Amazon series

Talk about the long tail of the internet...  Brain Candy came out in 1996, which is about the last time I thought about the Kids in the Hall (and crushing your head :).

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1613 on: May 27, 2021, 12:45:45 PM »

Talk about the long tail of the internet...  Brain Candy came out in 1996, which is about the last time I thought about the Kids in the Hall (and crushing your head :).

I had my first kiss in a movie theater watching Brain Candy, it was a suitably odd circumstance for how weird the guy was. Lol

I barely watched TV growing up, mostly because we got almost no channels, and only one clearly, but my father insisted that we watch Kids in The Hall, it was pretty much the only show we watched religiously as a family.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1614 on: May 27, 2021, 05:37:00 PM »
Fosse/Verdon on Hulu.

I'm a musical theater nerd - it is perfect and wonderful.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1615 on: May 27, 2021, 05:44:24 PM »

I had my first kiss in a movie theater watching Brain Candy, it was a suitably odd circumstance for how weird the guy was. Lol

I barely watched TV growing up, mostly because we got almost no channels, and only one clearly, but my father insisted that we watch Kids in The Hall, it was pretty much the only show we watched religiously as a family.

I grew up 15 miles from the Canadian border, so we always had the Windsor-Essex CBC affiliate and a few other Canadian TV channels. Hockey Night in Canada was miles better than US coverage of the NHL. The original Degrassi series were very popular with us late Gen-Xers. I have tried and failed to explain Polka Dot Door to US people who didn’t grow up in metro Detroit.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1616 on: May 28, 2021, 07:55:20 AM »

I grew up 15 miles from the Canadian border, so we always had the Windsor-Essex CBC affiliate and a few other Canadian TV channels. Hockey Night in Canada was miles better than US coverage of the NHL. The original Degrassi series were very popular with us late Gen-Xers. I have tried and failed to explain Polka Dot Door to US people who didn’t grow up in metro Detroit.

Polka Dot Door was Canadian?  Huh.  I didn't know that!

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #1617 on: May 28, 2021, 10:21:19 AM »
I don't want to jinx it, but we're 4 episodes into "The Nevers" and really enjoying it. Superpowers, Victorian London, an awesome, diverse cast, and plenty of witty banter; it's right in the Miller family's wheelhouse. I adore the two female leads, especially Ms. True, who is an amazing bad ass.

I feel bad about supporting Joss Whedon (for many reasons), but shit, the series is already made and the actors deserve support. My only concern is whether it can stick the landing. So many shows build up strong story arcs and then sorta fizzle at the end.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1618 on: May 28, 2021, 10:37:59 AM »
I've got a few episodes of this on the DVR but haven't watched yet. Wife and I were interested as we're fans of Eleanor Tomlinson from her Poldark days.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1619 on: May 31, 2021, 01:26:44 PM »
I feel bad about supporting Joss Whedon (for many reasons), but shit, the series is already made and the actors deserve support. My only concern is whether it can stick the landing. So many shows build up strong story arcs and then sorta fizzle at the end.

Joss Whedon is stepping down and they've got a new showrunner, so if they can keep up the quality and storyline, maybe you can feel better about it :)  I've really enjoyed this first half, and I'm interested to see where they go after the mid-season break.

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #1620 on: June 01, 2021, 06:34:50 AM »

Joss Whedon is stepping down and they've got a new showrunner, so if they can keep up the quality and storyline, maybe you can feel better about it :)  I've really enjoyed this first half, and I'm interested to see where they go after the mid-season break.

We finished it this weekend. The finale took a few minutes to adapt to, but I warmed up to it, and I'm glad some questions were answered instead of letting them drag on for the second half of the Season. I'm really looking forward to Season 1, Part 2, but from everything I've read, we won't get those episodes until 2022. Maladie and Mundi steal every scene they get, imo. I love the cast.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1621 on: June 01, 2021, 07:44:04 AM »

We finished it this weekend. The finale took a few minutes to adapt to, but I warmed up to it, and I'm glad some questions were answered instead of letting them drag on for the second half of the Season. I'm really looking forward to Season 1, Part 2, but from everything I've read, we won't get those episodes until 2022. Maladie and Mundi steal every scene they get, imo. I love the cast.

It was definitely a wild final episode, I had to double check I'd chosen the right show!

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1622 on: June 01, 2021, 07:57:26 AM »

It was definitely a wild final episode, I had to double check I'd chosen the right show!

Haha! About 2 minutes into the finale, Mrs. Miller clicked the remote to make sure we had selected the right series.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #1623 on: June 01, 2021, 10:01:38 PM »
Giri/Haji, Japanese/UK 8-part crime series, so subtitled 1/2 the time. Quirky, violent, surprisingly funny in parts (and lots of drugs and sex). The actor who plays Rodney, the male prostitute is fabulous. On Netflix.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1624 on: June 02, 2021, 07:18:51 AM »

Haha! About 2 minutes into the finale, Mrs. Miller clicked the remote to make sure we had selected the right series.

Haven't watched it yet - but I remember doing something v. similar with the first season finale of Whedon's Dollhouse (which I mostly really loved, including the first season finale).

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #1625 on: June 14, 2021, 04:38:35 PM »
Started watching Loudermilk. Freaking hilarious. Ron Livingston (Office Space) is the lead. Got hooked a few minutes into the first episode. I'm 3 in. Amazon Prime Video.

Great call!  Fits my sense of humor perfectly.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1626 on: June 14, 2021, 04:55:50 PM »
Really enjoying Mr. Mercedes on Prime. So many great actors. I adore Brendan Gleeson so so much.

It's very dark and so very creepy. It reminds me of The Fall, except without the main characters being wildly attractive.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #1627 on: June 15, 2021, 01:21:43 AM »
My daughter and I are rewatching "Fresh Meat" (ABCivew). Crude and hilarious UK comedy about a group of Uni students living in a share house in Manchester.

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1628 on: June 20, 2021, 12:24:30 PM »
My primary TV obsession through the pandemic has been Taskmaster. It's a light-hearted, hilarious game show from the UK. Hard to describe in a way that makes it sound good, but absolutely amazing.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1629 on: June 20, 2021, 06:05:07 PM »
This thread caused  me to look up Loudermilk. I’m watching it right now. It’s amusing.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 10:43:15 AM by iris lily »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1630 on: June 20, 2021, 06:23:14 PM »
Okay, finished season 2 of Mr. Mercedes, and yowza, I did NOT expect it to go in this direction or to end this way.

The only way I can describe this show is that it's VERY Stephen King.

The show does make me want a pet tortoise.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1631 on: June 21, 2021, 06:11:08 AM »
I just watched the new Bo Burnham "comedy" special on Netflix. I put comedy in quotes because it wasn't very funny. It was far more depressing than funny.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1632 on: June 21, 2021, 06:36:30 AM »
I just watched the new Bo Burnham "comedy" special on Netflix. I put comedy in quotes because it wasn't very funny. It was far more depressing than funny.

I tried to watch it, but couldn't do more than 15 minutes.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1633 on: June 21, 2021, 06:55:40 AM »
we've been watching 'clarkson's farm' on amazon. it's easy entertainment. he's sort of a likeable asshole. he has a beautiful piece of land that i hope he doesn't ruin.

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1634 on: June 21, 2021, 09:16:41 AM »
we've been watching 'clarkson's farm' on amazon. it's easy entertainment. he's sort of a likeable asshole. he has a beautiful piece of land that i hope he doesn't ruin.

The "likable" part of that comes and goes for me. But I always loved the Top Gear travel specials.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 08:15:33 AM by Watchmaker »

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #1635 on: June 21, 2021, 02:53:46 PM »

Watching the preview for this, I about did a spit take when Clarkson said he was pushing 60. Dude looks absolutely atrocious for his age.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1636 on: June 22, 2021, 04:56:03 AM »

Watching the preview for this, I about did a spit take when Clarkson said he was pushing 60. Dude looks absolutely atrocious for his age.

he was a smoker. did he say 750,000 cigarettes?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1637 on: June 22, 2021, 07:12:03 AM »

he was a smoker. did he say 750,000 cigarettes?

I was also surprised at how poor Clarkson was looking after hearing his age.  I thought he was in his 70s at least.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1638 on: June 22, 2021, 09:45:58 AM »
Watching "Sweet Tooth" on Netflix.  It's another futuristic dystopian setting, with the main character as a half-human, half-animal hybrid child. 

So far it's been interesting to watch and the young actor is engaging, but I get a little too anxious watching shows where the good guys constantly have to out-run and out-wit the bad guys.  I'll watch more this week and see where it goes.

CNM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1639 on: June 22, 2021, 03:56:56 PM »
Watched "Workin' Moms" on Netflix. I'd call it a dramatic comedy about working parents.  It originally aired on CBC but was recently put on Netflix.  Highly recommend and at times very relatable.

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #1640 on: June 25, 2021, 10:24:58 AM »
Final Season of Bosch just became available.  Gotta love the Stringer Bell reference!

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1641 on: July 01, 2021, 06:14:44 AM »
We started Manifest last night.  Two episodes in and I kinda like it.

Smokystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1642 on: July 01, 2021, 06:19:44 AM »
Watching "Sweet Tooth" on Netflix.  It's another futuristic dystopian setting, with the main character as a half-human, half-animal hybrid child. 

So far it's been interesting to watch and the young actor is engaging, but I get a little too anxious watching shows where the good guys constantly have to out-run and out-wit the bad guys.  I'll watch more this week and see where it goes.
Thanks for this suggestion, I watched the whole series in the past couple days. Dystopian but with a lighter touch.

Another vote for Sweet Tooth. One episode left. Hard not to root for Gus.

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #1643 on: July 01, 2021, 06:54:02 AM »
Has no one recommended Hacks yet? I recommend Hacks.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1644 on: July 01, 2021, 07:26:41 AM »

Hacks is great. I love Jean Smart so much.

I can tell I'm "getting old" though because I can no longer relate to young characters. There are so many Gen Z characters who's chaos I just can't connect with, like the young writer on Hacks.

I tried to watch the hugely acclaimed Starstruck, which is a POC lead, gender reversed Notting Hill story. I really wanted to enjoy it, but just couldn't connect with the main character's chaotic ass-hattery. Likewise I tried to enjoy Broad City, and ended up low level stressed. Lol

However, Search Party has the same kind of chaotic assholery as it's basis, and I loved that, so maybe I'm not totally over the hill yet?

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1645 on: July 01, 2021, 12:56:26 PM »
Final Season of Bosch just became available.  Gotta love the Stringer Bell reference!
what did they say about Stringer?

I will never watch more of Bosch, but will rewatch at the right time The Wire.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1646 on: July 02, 2021, 04:59:55 AM »
I think a lot of people are over the superhero genre, but the Marvel series that Disney+ has been putting out have been pretty good, with the newest, Loki, being amazing.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1647 on: July 02, 2021, 09:20:17 AM »
Watched "Godless" on Netflix.  It's set in the old West (post Civil War era, I think) and includes a small town of only women because all of the men died in a mining accident. The characters are interesting and fully-drawn, not the typical black hat/white hat cowboy stereotypes.

Also interesting:  Michelle Dockery who played Lady Mary in Downton Abbey plays a single mother and ranch owner.  I didn't think I could watch her as anything but Lady Mary but she really kicks ass.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #1648 on: July 04, 2021, 05:37:35 PM »

Hacks is great. I love Jean Smart so much.

Just binged it. Excellent!

For entertainment set in Las Vegas mansions and so on, I was surprised at how much of the themes seemed subtly Mustachian to me. Relationships vs work, boundary setting, setting your own path, what to do when you have enough money, what you have to do if you don't have enough, etc. Even the question of whether, for some people, real estate is work or play. Plus how to SWAMI when times change.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1649 on: July 04, 2021, 05:42:14 PM »
Watched the first episode of Sweet Tooth and we're both kind of "m'eh" so far about it, hopefully it gets better. So far I feel like the show is resting pretty heavily on the kid's deer ears being cute, and DH and I are both pretty immune to cute.

People seem to be loving it though, so I'm optimistic, but DH isn't.